Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call. Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning, it's five o'clock straight up. This here is your wake up call for Friday, April fourth. You know what that means. We're just two days away from the Wiggle Wagga Walk. Good morning, I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. So glad you're starting your day with us. We have some sort of exciting news little teaser not happening today, but I just talked to my contact at Space Force, Colonel Nick Haig, says, we get first DIBs on radio interviews, so we're hoping to connect with him in the next couple of weeks. Of course, he is the Space Force and NASA astronaut who just returned from the Space Station with Butch and Sunny after spending he spent six months up at the International Space Station. I can't wait to talk to him. He's such a great guy and so interesting and gets to do something that ninety nine point nine percent of us will never get to do in our lifetime, so stay tuned for that. Here's what's a head on wake up call. A person in Riverside County has tested positive for measles. It's the first case in the county in nine years. Officials with Riverside University Health System announced the positive test yesterday, but they didn't give any other details. There have now been nine confirmed cases of measles in California this year. President Trump says the tariffs are having the desired effect and now he's open to negotiations on Air Force one. Yesterday, Trump said that every country has called asking to cut a trade deal with the US to avoid tariffs. Keep our fingers cross so that that happens. We're going to get the latest on the tariffs and how countries are responding to them with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. That's coming up in about three minutes. Gas prices continue ticking up towards five dollars a gallon. The average price for a gallon of regular and lighted in La County is at four ninety two. Prices have gone up thirteen of the last fourteen days. In Orange County, it's for eighty nine forty one. In the IE, rising prices are being blamed on refinery maintenance and lower production. Hey you speaking of ticking the clock is ticking toward a ban on the Chinese owned social media company TikTok Abu sees. Mike Debusky's going to tell us whether we're going to be able to keep swiping or times running out for TikTok putting a new face on your kitchen. Ways to spruce up your space without breaking the bank. Ooh, I love that house, whispered Dean Sharp's going to join us at the bottom of the hour, and then ABC's willgans we'll share what Tea's check it out on the little screen. It's going to be something blooming good and also a creepy news show to get in the mind of a serial killer. Nice and inspiring for the weekend. Right, let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. La Mayor Bass and school Superintendent Alberto Carvallo will be visiting the Palisades fire area this morning. They're expected to announce that debris has been cleared from the three schools in the area impacted by the wildfire. Time is running out to get your real ID.
Speaker 4: Following years of extensions, the deadline is almost here. Starting May seventh, Americans will need to have a real ID compliant driver's license to take domestic and international flights. If you don't have one, you will need to present a passport or secondary ID to travel through security checkpoints.
Speaker 1: In order to get your real ID, you have.
Speaker 4: To go to the DMV and present a number of valid documents that verify your address and full legal name, Deborah Mark KFI News.
Speaker 1: Bill in California could keep a lot of kids and teens from writing shotgun. Kfi's Jim Roop says the bill by Assembly Member Lori Wilson would require children under ten to use a booster seat, would bar anyone under thirteen from writing in the front seat.
Speaker 5: Also ban anyone under sixteen from the front seat if they're not tall enough. Wilson says data shows small framed children do no out of the age are disproportionately hurt in crashes when not in a booster seat or in the back seat.
Speaker 1: The bill has already passed out of the Assembly Transportation Committee, moves on to another committee next California omelet UH not omelets. Maybe I'm craving an omelet. California almonds, which make up over three quarters of the world's supply, could be heavily impacted by retaliatory tariffs on US products. Almonds are the state's top export. Seventy five percent are sent abroad, mainly to India and Europe. Twenty twenty two UC Davis study estimated that tariffs could result in a loss of nearly eight hundred and seventy five million dollars in almond exports. Wildlife officials say they're monitoring a small whale that is stuck in Rainbow Harbor in Long Beach. Kfi's Mark Mayfield says it was spotted yesterday near the Catalina Express Dock.
Speaker 6: The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration is trying to help the whale find its way back to open water. Officials say the whale does not have any visible injuries or wounds and does appear to be healthy.
Speaker 1: A representative for the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach says it appears to be a minky whale. What's a minky whale? I love that there's whales. I know that they may have lost their way, but it's so fun to see them when they come into the harbor. Right now, let's say good morning too, kfi's White House correspondent and constitutional lawyer John Decker. So, John, good morning. The tariffs go into effect tomorrow and then for others on the ninth. What has the reaction been in the US and globally.
Speaker 7: Well, we saw what the reaction was yesterday. Amy as it relates to financial markets, this was and as far as the President's plan is concerned, even worse than was anticipated. And that was the reason for this plunge in financial markets yesterday.
Speaker 8: It looks like we could potentially.
Speaker 7: Be in for another down day today. So financial markets certainly don't like it. The President, however, very optimistic. He thinks that in the long term this will benefit the US economy because of a return of manufacturing to our country. That's a long term plan. It's a long term gambit, some might say. And I think it's the reason why you have some very nervous Republicans right now on Capitol Hill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And the President said, because he did a little gaggle with reporters on Air Force One, he said, everything's going according to plan.
Speaker 8: He did, and he also said, which was at odds with what.
Speaker 7: Some of the people that speak on behalf of the president at the White House set. He also said that all of this is negotiable, so that means that any country that feels that they were unfairly hit with exceedingly high tariffs can negotiate with the administration in terms of bringing those terrifts down to a different level. We also saw just earlier today that China will announce or has announced, that it will impose thirty four percent tariffs on all imported goods from the US. So the retaliatory terriffs that were anticipated has begun. We are expecting the European Union to announce their retaliatory terriffs against the US as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, but John, they're announcing retaliatory tariffs, but aren't our tariffs retaliatory?
Speaker 8: Yeah, you can.
Speaker 7: Well that's a good point, Amy, you know who started this all, you know, the president of our tariffs. You're right, our terriffts are because of unfair trade practices by other countries. Other countries don't see it that way, and that's the reason why it's this kit for tat that we see playing out in real time. That's not a good thing. When you know, you had people thinking about or announcing or predicting or forecasting.
Speaker 8: That there would be a trade war. We're seeing that all play out in real time.
Speaker 1: Okay. And has anyone come forward saying, yeah, I'm gonna we're gonna drop our tariffs.
Speaker 8: I haven't seen that, you know.
Speaker 7: Look, this was just announced by President Trump just the other day in the Rose Garden. I was there for that announcement. You know, it takes time, you know, as it relates to what becomes of the President's tariff plan, he says that, you know, he has patients and believes that the American public will have patients because of the return of manufacturing.
Speaker 8: To the US.
Speaker 7: And we'll see if that, you know, comes into play. It takes a long time, though, to stand up a factory. It's sometimes years in the making to stand up a factory.
Speaker 8: It's not like you can just flip the switch.
Speaker 7: So it will require a lot of patients on the part of the American public.
Speaker 1: Well, and it's interesting too because it sounds like and I know that President Trump can switch his mine, you know, change his mind in a blink of an eye, but it sounds like he's playing the long game here, and like you said, the question is in our little world of instant gratification, are we willing to play that game?
Speaker 7: Well, that's right, you know, And you know I said that there are nervous Republicans. That's because of what they hear from their constituents. And it's not just constituents that are immediately impacted by higher costs associated with their small businesses, for instance, Amy, it's also people across districts, across states, across our country that just see the value of their four oh one k declining and they're getting nervous. And especially for people who are soon considering retirement, they're especially nervous in terms of what they're seeing right now in financial markets.
Speaker 1: Okay, and from the people you're talking to, anybody, have any good advice because from everything that we hear, and this could change, but everything we hear is buckle down or buckle up whatever, because prices are going to go up, and they're going to go up pretty quick.
Speaker 7: Yeah, prices will go up, you know, I mean to the extent that you can. You know, it's, as you pointed out the very top of our segment, these teriffs will go into effect, but in the coming days. So if there's anything that you think would be impacted by these tariffs in the months and weeks ahead, maybe it's a good idea to purchase those items right now. I've heard already, Amy of runs to Costco, you know, for this particular reason, and I'm sure that's playing out in every Costco all across our country.
Speaker 1: All Right, kfi's White House correspondent John Decker always appreciate the information.
Speaker 7: Have a great weekend you too, Thanks a lot, Amy.
Speaker 1: By all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Hamas is reportedly ready to release the remaining fifty nine hostages in Gaza in exchange for a permanent ceasefire with Israel. Llistinnian officials reportedly told The New York Post of the decision yesterday, saying that Hamas told negotiators it was ready as long as it is assured by Israel that forces will be withdrawn from Gaza. It is not known if that proposal will be accepted. Seven people have been hurt in a mass stabbing in Washington, d C. Police Chief Pamela Smith says a man stabbed himself and other people at random yesterday in a neighborhood.
Speaker 6: Based on preliminary information, it appears the suspect was in an altered mental state from an unknown substance.
Speaker 1: She says he was stopped by two Good Samaritans who also got hurt. Officers found the alleged stabber close to where the attacks happened and took him to the hospital. Secretary Robert F. Kennedy, Junior says some of the cuts made at the Department of Health and Human Services could be reversed. Kennedy said yesterday he expects about twenty percent of recently laid off employees to be reinstated, along with some programs. The department made wide scale cuts to its staff at the direction of DOGE. A top watchdog at the Department of Defense says he will look into the government's use of the Signal App to share details of a planned US military attack.
Speaker 9: His office will investigate the use of the Signal App to share details of last month's strike on Hoothy targets in Yemen. Watchdog Stephen Stebbins says his review will determine whether Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and other top defense officials complied with Pentagon policies and procedures.
Speaker 1: ABC Stephen Portnoy says the investigation will center on policies related to the use of a commercial messaging for official government business. Denmark Prime Minister met Fredrickson has repeated Greenland is not for sale. During a news conference, Frederickson said she wants to cooperate with the US, but the White House needs to respect borders and sovereignty.
Speaker 10: When you demand to take over a part of the Kingdoms of Denmark territory, when we are met by pressure and buy threats from our closest ally, what are we to believe in about the country that we have admired for so many years.
Speaker 1: Greenland has its own government, but it is a Danish territory. USA Fencing has disqualified a female athlete for refusing to compete against a transgender opponent. Stephanie Turner discarded her mask and took a knee ahead of her bout against Redmond Sullivan at an NCAA event in Maryland last weekend. Turner told the ref I'm sorry, I cannot do this. I am a woman and this is a man, and this is a women's tournament. USA Fencing says its responsibility is to ensure that all athletes compete under the same rules and its goal is to expand access to the sport of fencing and create inclusive safe spaces. The Senate has confirmed doctor Mehmet Oz as Administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. The TV personality was confirmed on a party line vote fifty three forty five. Doctor Oz will oversee the government agency that provides health insurance to roughly one hundred six million Americans. Pride flags would be banned from Texas public schools under a bill to supt for debate this week in the state legislature. Backers say this would eliminate a distraction in the classroom. The bill creates a list of acceptable flags that can be put on display. It includes the US and Texas flags, as well as ones honoring the various branches of the military. Flags with school logos would be acceptable. Two I left my heart in the Healthiest city in America.
Speaker 11: San Francisco has ranked number one in the healthiest places to live in the United States. Wallet Hub's annual report says the city by the Bay was tops based on low obesity, access to recreation and per capita spending on parks and rex stuff. Seattle and Hawaii ranked second and third, but California had six cities in the top twenty and ten of the top thirty. The bottom of the list had a lot of Southern US states, with Brownsville, Texas, ranked the least healthiest city in America. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 1: California and eighteen other states have sued President and Trump over his executive order requiring proof of citizenship to vote. The state attorney's general say the president has no power to do this and forcing them to change would violate the broad authority the Constitution gives states to set their own elections. Acts of hate are up in La County. A report from the La County Commission of Human Relations shows non criminal hate acts we're up thirty five percent from twenty twenty two to twenty three. Eight hundred and twenty one cases of verbal abuse, harassment, or displays of offensive material were reported. The top seed UCLA women tip off against number two seed Yukon tonight in the NCAA Women's Final Four. Before that game, top seed South Carolina continues its quest for back to back titles when they take on Texas in Tampa, Florida. The women's National Championship game will be played on Sunday night. Let's say good morning to ABC's Mike Dubuski, Mike. TikTok TikTok. The clock is.
Speaker 12: Ticking once again on TikTok. Yes, we've been talking about a potential ban on this very popular social media app since twenty twenty. Of course, last year President Biden signed by partisan legislation that would force a sale of TikTok by its Chinese parent company, or it would be banned in the US. In January, President Trump extended the time it would take to do that by seventy five days. They extended the deadline, and that deadline comes due tomorrow on April fifth, this Saturday. And now we're learning that the Trump administration is considering a deal to stave TikTok. And the way this would work is that China would maintain control of TikTok's algorithm.
Speaker 8: That's very important.
Speaker 12: That's the technology that kind of makes TikTok TikTok. It serves you videos that it thinks you will like. It is what many people say is what makes TikTok so popular. One hundred and seventy million Americans use TikTok every month. That algorithm would be control rolled by China, but then least to a US company that would come in and buy TikTok, and they would have a minority ownership stake. According to a source that told that to ABC News, the Trump administration is saying that they are planning to have the President sign an executive order today that will extend the deadline past tomorrow. So we are kind of getting down to the final few hours here, but it looks likely that President Trump will push that deadline back while they try to dot all the i's and cross all the t's. And there are a lot of t's and eyes to be crossed and dotted here, So that.
Speaker 8: Is a big deal.
Speaker 12: And there's a lot of questions around whether this plan will line up legally with the legislation that President Biden signed last year. There's a lot left to be done before we even get to the price tag, which is also expected to be quite large.
Speaker 1: Okay, and as negotiations continue, I mean, have we heard from TikTok at all? I mean, we hear from our side saying you got to sell. You got to sell talk ever said yeah, we're willing to sell.
Speaker 12: I mean, I think TikTok wants to continue operating in the US. Right They say that they are a US based company, They have their headquarters here, they store Americans data here in a server farm in Texas, but of course they are controlled by a Chinese company, and the concern among lawmakers is that the Chinese government could go to that company, it's called byte Dance, and compel them to either spy on American users, use TikTok to gather information on the one hundred and seventy million people who use the app, or they could use it as a vector for Chinese propaganda, right to get pro China messaging into people's feeds in front of eyeballs that would otherwise not see it. Of course, that's very concerning for lawmakers, despite the fact that they have not provided any sort of smoking rue that China is doing that. They're just concerned that it could happen at this point, and that is enough cause to force a sale or potentially ban this app in the US. So TikTok kind of wants to continue. China is a different consideration here, China has long said that any sale of TikTok that includes the algorithm is going to be a no go. They're not going to allow that to happen. It's unclear where they land on this sort of leasing strategy that the Trump administration is putting on the table. And let's not forget. In the last few days, China was hit with a thirty four percent tariff on all goods imported into the US. That's on top of a twenty percent tariff they were already facing. And the Trump administration has indicated that a TikTok deal might give them some leniency. They might cut some tariffs in exchange for getting this deal across the line. So all different pieces of the bargaining chips, you know, landing on the table here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so many pieces in play. We will be watching. Thanks for bringing us up to speed. ABC's Mike Debuski. Have a great weekend, you too. Take care all right. A homeowner in Chino Hills has fired shots at a person who broke into his house. San Bernardino County Sheriff's deputy say two people broke in by shattering a sliding glass door on the second floor Wednesday night, the homeowner shot at one of them. A swat team later cleared the house but didn't find anyone inside. Officials say they don't know if anyone was shot. No arrests have been made. Family members of a thirteen year old boy from La found dead in Ventura County say they believe the soccer coach the team went to visit in Lancaster had something to do with his disappearance and death. Kfi's Daniel Martindale says, according to police, Omar Hernandez took a Metrolink train on Sunday to visit the coach.
Speaker 13: She was reported missing after he failed to return home that night.
Speaker 3: Authorities have not announced a cause of death.
Speaker 1: The boy's body was found just off the roadway in a wooded area in Oxnard, California. Democratic Senator Adam Schiff says President Trump's tariff policy is going to hurt the economy.
Speaker 13: The Democratic senator, who was often the face of opposition to the White House in Trump's first term when he was in the House, says the tariff policy makes no sense. Shift tells KFI, Trump has even placed tariffs on places with no products or populations.
Speaker 8: It's absurd, but it shows that they've got a bunch of amateurs in charge of all of this, and it's no wonder our economy is taking a beating right now.
Speaker 13: The senator says Trump ran on lowering prices for consumers, but argues the tariff policy would do the opposite. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: President Trump's recent directive calling for possible sanctions against some immigration attorneys has caught the attention of lawyers in LA. Attorney Meredith Brown says the President's trying to intimidate lawyers who are working with illegal immigrants.
Speaker 14: I've been practicing immigration law for twenty five years, and in those twenty five years, we've never had attacks like this against the immigration bar and against nonprofit organizations.
Speaker 1: Brown and other local attorneys have written an op ed that was paid to be placed in the La Times, calling Trump's actions unconstitutional. Ice has released a Venezuelan man from custody in Indiana so he can give his brother a life saving kidney transplant. Jose Gonzalez and his brother have been in the US for about a year got detained last month after going to a kidney dialysis appointment with his brother. Immigration officials say they are monitoring him following his release on humanitarian parole. What's Old is New in Hollywood. The first trailer of The Naked Gun reboot has been released. Liam Neeson stars as Frank Dreben Junior, the son of Leslie Nielsen's character from the original films. Pamela Anderson, Paul Walter Hauser, Danny Houston, Liza Koshy, and w W E star Cody Rhodes are also in the movie. The Naked Gun hits theaters August first. I'm not sure if I'm excited about this or not.
Speaker 3: It could be fun, fun movies.
Speaker 1: It could be fun her Moosa Beach police say they're looking into a man who's been live streaming videos of himself following women around town and then making rude, vulgar remarks about them. They say what the guy has done hasn't risen to a criminal act, and a victim has to be willing to press charges, so they haven't been able to make an arrest. A driver has been found dead in their car on the one ten Freeway in South LA. You've heard Will talking about the freeway closure associated with this. The car was on the side of the transition from the southbound one ten to the eastbound one oh five s h pieces. It got calls about a possible shooting in the area just before ten last night, but they did not confirm how the person died. Again, Will's going to keep you up to date on that closure that probably is going to make a mess of the one ten as we head into our Friday morning commute. A whale of a sighting in Long Beach. A small, believe to be minky whale has been spotted in the shallow waters of Rainbow Harbor. It's apparently been there for a few days. Harbor crews were maneuvering booms in the water yesterday in an apparent effort to coax the whale back toward open waters. Wow, did the stock market tank or what at six oh five its handle? On the news, Neil Savedra, who's in for Bill one more day, is going to be talking about that. Let's say good morning now to the host of Home on KFI. It's our house whisper, Dean Sharp, Good morning.
Speaker 3: Dean, Good morning Amy.
Speaker 1: Okay, so today we're going to talk a little bit about a facelift, sprucing up your kitchen.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 15: This Sunday, the entire show is going to be about cabinets, which is a very very intimidating concept for most people who are thinking about a kitchen remodel, because once you get into the world of cabinets, you're like, wow, there's just so much. There's so many moving parts. Literally, it's one of the most expensive areas of your home to redo, and so there's so much to learn and understand because cabinets have evolved a lot. I mean, they've been evolving for one hundred years now, and they've changed a lot just over the last few years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know, I will tell you that when I go to my friend's house because I have an apartment that's one hundred years old and it's absolutely adorable, but I think the cabinets are one hundred years old and she's got a new house and she's got like those soft closed doors and drawers, and I'm like, I totally have cabinet envy.
Speaker 3: As you should.
Speaker 15: You know, that's a thing that I want everybody to realize that the changes in cabinets that have happened even in the last twenty years have really moved the bottom line. And that's the key thing because a lot of people here well, yeah, there's all sorts of gizmos. But you know what, I don't have a budget a budget for luxury cabinets. Okay, But what has happened in cabinet try is that the bottom line, the baseline of cabinets has changed so very much. So like you brought up soft closed drawers and doors, that is now, in my opinion and in the opinion of most builders, that is now a new baseline. I mean, every decent cabinet on the market now has soft closed drawers and doors. And it used to be a luxury because you think, oh, well, you know, yeah, I can throw this cabinet door closed and it doesn't make a noise. How nice is that if you've got a really fancy kitchen. But the truth is, the truth is that a soft closed drawer and a soft closed door is a feature that saves the life of the cabinet because a lot of impact is what wears the drawer and the drawer face, which is disconnected essentially from the drawer body. Right, they're screwed together, those two things, And every time a drawer gets slammed into a cabinet and in that face ends up making contact with the face of the cabinet. It's working on that joint. And so the idea of something soft closed where no matter how fast you push the drawer or how fast you swing the door, that last inch or so just glides into a soft landing. We're talking about a safety investment for these cabinets that will make them literally last twice as long as they used to.
Speaker 1: Although, Dean, sometimes it's fun to slam a door shut.
Speaker 15: I know, it's frustrating if you're trying to make a dramatic point.
Speaker 1: It's like, you can't hang up the phone. Remember you used to slam down this receiver on the phone. You can't do that anymore.
Speaker 15: Exactly Now you're like beep, Okay, well that didn't get anything done.
Speaker 1: Hey, Speaking of calls, it's also an open call weekend.
Speaker 15: Yes, tomorrow's show, Saturday show, we're just going to take calls, and then on Sunday I'm actually going to have a very special guest in studio with me. The owner and operator of the kitchen store, John Cordero, is going to be sitting with me for the entire show. Possibly, well, obviously it's true. The only person, maybe in southern California who knows more about cabinets than I do, so it's going to be a great time.
Speaker 1: Well, I have to tell you, Dean, as much as I would love to, I can't listen on Sunday because we'll be at the Wiggle Waggle Walk.
Speaker 15: Yes, but but I would love to have you on and so let's set that up so that we can talk a little bit.
Speaker 3: You and I at Wiggle Waggle Walk while you're out there.
Speaker 1: Would love to give you an update. It's going to be a beautiful day. Dean Sharp the host of Home right Here on KFI from six to eight on Saturday, lots of phone calls, and then on Sunday with the owner of the Kitchen Store nine to noon. And that is Home right Here on KFI. You can also follow Dean at Home with Dean. Thank you, Dean.
Speaker 3: Thanks Amy. I'll talk to you on Sunday.
Speaker 1: All right, you got it? Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Courtney, WHOA what a day?
Speaker 2: I wish I could slam the phone down to yeah right, okay, markets can't do it anymore.
Speaker 16: Well.
Speaker 2: This report is sponsored by Total one and More company. I call it through Tariff tantrum on Wall Street, and we're looking at another wild wild ride today. Markets are reeling. Traders are worried that this new rounge of terrorists could actually plunge the economy into recession. So roughly two and a half trillion dollars was a race from the S and P five hundred. Yesterday the doubt tumbled one thousand, six hundred and seventy nine points, and we're looking at more today.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's only down eleven hundred for futures this line only.
Speaker 2: And some people were thinking, okay, well, we had the jobs report, it was just out about ten minutes ago, and we all know that that is a huge indicator on the health of the economy, but today it feels very second tier to all of these trade headlines.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: It was actually much better than what economists were forecasting. The US added two hundred and twenty eight thousand jobs to the payroll. But this just shows that the labor market remains resilient, the unemployment rate ticking higher. However, we are still seeing more steep losses as as you just mentioned.
Speaker 9: I mean, we still have.
Speaker 2: The tariff elephant in the room, so we kind of can't look at the jobs numbers as we look at the jobs numbers in a different way pretty much.
Speaker 1: Okay, And normally a lot of people are calm and cool headed. But one CEO had an interesting reaction when you saw what was going on yesterday. What was that? You know what?
Speaker 2: You need to have a good laugh at a time like this. So there is one executive and he had a very colorful reaction when he noticed that his company's shares were plunging yesterday after the tariff rollout.
Speaker 1: A colorful metaphor color.
Speaker 2: Very colorful reaction. We're talking four letter words here. So on a call with Wall Street analysts, the head of Restoration Hardware had been trying to make the case that the luxury furniture retailer was well positioned despite sourcing about seventy percent of its products from Asia. Then Gary Friedman looked at his computer screen, he saw the company's share price, and he let out an exploitation call. I would actually play the tape, but we are a family show here. Yeah, yeah, Well, shares plunged of RH plunged forty percent trading yesterday, taking a big hit.
Speaker 9: Yes, yes, wow.
Speaker 2: Any company that had manufacturing or sourced their products. It took a massive hit Nike, Apple, all of those companies but one stock that did quite well. And this kind of shows you how traders are playing all of this. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway actually sailed through pretty unscathed.
Speaker 1: Yesterday.
Speaker 2: The stock fell only slightly, and it fell only a little more than one percent. And one of the things that you have to think about is that the stability in that was actually reflecting all the insulation of the insurance sector to the global trade picture. So insurance is one of Berkshire's main sources earnings, and that's why it did a lot better than some of the other companies that I mentioned earlier, lilule Lemon, you can name the apparel companies, luxury retail, all of them getting tech companies, all of them getting slimmed, especially ones that create hardware and make their hardware in foreign countries.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, I can imagine we're going to get lots more four letter words before this is all.
Speaker 2: Done, no doubt about it. I'm glad it's Friday, that's all kidding.
Speaker 1: Hey, Bloomberg.
Speaker 2: And oh, by the way, just in case I didn't say it, in this report is sponsored by Total Wine anymore.
Speaker 1: They got a bonus fiction today Eggs, so you don't have to do it next time.
Speaker 2: Yes, with all of this excitement, sometimes I forget things.
Speaker 1: Bloomberg's Courtney Donahoe getting in your business as we do every weekday on wake up call at five forty. Thanks so much, have a great weekend, you too, See you later. Okay. Some teens in California may soon have to be backseat drivers. A new bill making its way through the state Assembly would ban anyone under sixteen from sitting in the front seat if they're not tall enough. The bill would also require anyone under thirteen to sit in the back seat, and kids under ten would also have to have a booster seat. More than fifty five million people have been affected by storms moving across the US for the past several days. At least seven people have been killed. Forecasters are now warning of potentially catastrophic flooding in the mid South and Midwest. The storm system stretches more than one thousand miles from the Gulf coast to the Canadian border. Dodgers pitcher Blake Snell's home has been burglarized. At least say his house in the Seattle area got broken into on March twenty sixth, the day before the Dodgers' home opener. No one was home at the time. No arrests have been made. We are just minutes away from Handle. On the news this morning with special guest host Neil Sevadra. Guess what we slapped tariffs on China. They're slapping backs. We'll get you the latest on that right now. Let's say good morning too, ABC's Willgans Will White Lotus season finale.
Speaker 16: I have never been more excited for anything in my entire life. Never, I mean, at least not recently. I just I know this season. This season has gotten some flag for being a little slow sometimes, and there were a couple of episodes that I think maybe could have moved a little bit quicker. But the way that every single one of these characters is hurtling towards disaster as we head into Sunday's season finale, I'm just I'm one of the people that is like scrolling on TikTok looking at every single fan theory about every single thing that might happen. And the finale on Sunday night is going to be ninety minutes instead of just an hour, So I think we're going to get a lot of, hopefully, if not all, of our biggest questions answered.
Speaker 1: Okay, and they since they do a season by season and they do it in different places, you probably will get your questions answered.
Speaker 12: Right.
Speaker 1: They don't have big cliffhangers, or do they?
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 16: I mean the only like, you know, last season, you know, the person who set Tanya up to really be you know, putting Jeopardy did get away. But you know, this season we saw minor spoiler alert that he's back.
Speaker 1: So you know, maybe I don't want to spoiler.
Speaker 16: Yeah, maybe not every major major question, but but we will know who died and we will know how they died, which is you know, that's the conceit of the show is that the first episode always shows us at least one dead body and we're trying to figure out who it is and how.
Speaker 3: They died for the rest of the season.
Speaker 16: So I'm excited, and you know, it kind of breaks is the question of like is appointment television, you know, back, like this is a show that point in case of what just happened with us, Like it's hard to avoid spoilers if you're not watching in real time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, So and what what uh what streaming is?
Speaker 8: Is this on HBO?
Speaker 1: So, you know what, I think you're right because like there are several Handmaid's Tale comes back next week, and that they only drop it once a week. It's annoying, is all get out to me, but they only do it once a week. And there's several you know, Paradise did that. I think that was like the greatest show. Silo's doing that and these are like the really good shows. I still haven't seen White Lotus, but I think I'm going to have to dive into it.
Speaker 9: You gotta do it.
Speaker 16: I mean, it's just, you know, it's it's just so fun to talk about, you know, each each plot line, each of the family or the group of friends or you know, whoever it is. It's I don't know, it's all pretty fascinating to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna have to give it another go because I did start to watch the first season, and I think that you were saying the family dynamics, the people were so awful that I was like, oh, I don't even like these people. I didn't like the characters, But maybe that's part of the appeal of it.
Speaker 12: I think.
Speaker 8: I mean, if you wanted to.
Speaker 16: Personally, the second season for me was like spectacular. So if you want to give season one, I think you could just do season two. If if you were struggling with season one the first go around, you could just skip it and start in season two if.
Speaker 3: You want it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you mentioned that in whiteload as somebody dies the first episode And speaking of dying, Michelle Williams is an amazing actress, so tell us about her new movie.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so this is a limited series actually, and it's all all eight episodes just dropped today on Hulu or FX, depending on you know how you like to watch those shows. But this is based on a true story and the show is called Dying for Sex and it's about a woman who is diagnosed with stage four cancer and she decides like, okay, like now is the time I have to do all of the things that I haven't been doing, and you know, in this case, like a lot of them are related to sex.
Speaker 3: So this is not one to.
Speaker 16: Watch with, you know, any younger people or any brutish people, but it is you know, she is a five time Oscar nominee for a reason. It is so brilliantly acted and she her best friend in the show is played by Jenny Slate, and in real life, the best friend is a producer on this series. So it is told honestly and beautifully and like, at parts I'm just like weeping along watching it, but and other parts you're laughing out loud because it's these two you know, women who are trying to figure out this like impossible thing together and it's just it's it's really really heartbreaking and life affirming at the same time. I'm really really into this show.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's a sexy time bucket list, yes.
Speaker 8: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 16: But you know, she's also you know, deciding like Okay, you know she's been married to somebody for a little while, and you know the love has been lost for a while, so she's like, do I leave my husband? And and is the real love of my life?
Speaker 8: Is my best friend?
Speaker 16: You know? So she's answering these other big questions too that the whole thing is not about sex, but a lot of it is.
Speaker 1: Well it sounds like it makes you think, and I like movies that make you.
Speaker 8: Think yes, yes.
Speaker 1: And then one more, We've got Gone Girls and where tell us about Gone Girls? It's on Netflix.
Speaker 8: Netflix.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so it's for this and this is for any true crime people out there. You probably have heard of the Gilgo Beach murders, this Long Island serial killer. So this is a short little docu series, three episodes all about this. And the cool thing about this is that the filmmaker here is someone who has been close to to this case for decades and decades, like before you know, we even had a name of a suspect, and they've been following the case for a really long time and they're close with the family members of the victims, and so the perspective is very unique. And you also get to see sort of how the system failed these women in a lot of ways. So you know, if you think you know the case, you know it's a good one for you. And if you think you know the case, you'll find out probably that you don't know as much about it as you thought. So a fun true crime sort of docu series. I hate saying fun, but you know, there's something interesting about these types of things, and it's pretty bingeable all in one weekend because it's only three episodes.
Speaker 1: Great, well, Gan's ABC, thanks for all the great information. Can't wait to dive in.
Speaker 16: All right, Amy, have a good weekend.
Speaker 1: All right you two more sound stages and so cal are sitting empty.
Speaker 13: Productions taking place on sound stages has fallen. Film LA reports sound stage occupancy dropped to sixty three percent in twenty twenty four, down another six percent from the year before. Local film and TV D production continues to see a slow down. It's never fully recovered from COVID or the actors and writer strikes. It's also facing stiffer competition from other states and countries with more generous tax breaks for productions. Film LA's new report says sound stage activity in twenty twenty three was the lowest ever recorded except for COVID year twenty twenty. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: State workers and unions have resisted Governor Newsom's call for workers to return to the office at least four days a week. Governor Newsom says going back to the office is going to be good for other businesses.
Speaker 10: I want to see these neighborhoods, these downtowns come back to life.
Speaker 2: This poor mom and pops, they're out of business or barely holding on.
Speaker 1: The Governor's order takes effect July first, Well, we told you about the women, of course, the us UCLA Women in Action Tonight. The NCAA Men's Final four tips off this weekend in San Antonio. All four number one seeds will be in the national semi files for the first time. Finals for the first time since two thousand and eight, Florida faces Auburn and Duke takes on Houston. When the teams hit the hardwood tomorrow, We're going to hit the streets on Sunday because it's almost time for the Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run for Pasadena Humane. It's coming up just two days away. It's this Sunday at Brookside Park at the Rose Bowl, and we would love for you to come join us. I know I've been watching the boards and seeing that we've had several more people sign up and several more people have donated, and we so appreciate that We're going to be walking around the Rose Bowl. There's a five k and a one mile walk or run for the five k, and it all starts at eight o'clock on Sunday morning, so you you don't even have to get up super early. Eight o'clock is when the event opens. The walk and run is at nine. We're going to have lots of vendors with all kinds of cool stuff for your pups, food trucks, training demonstrations, and the ever popular dog costume contest. KAFI is gonna have a booth out there and we would love you for you to stop by. We've got exclusive swag bags for the first three hundred who stop by, and we're also doing a little something extra to raise a little bit of extra money thanks to our friends at Doctor Marty Pets. Michelle. Producer Michelle has put together some beautiful gift baskets and we're going to be raffling those off, So stop by the KFI booth Sunday from eight to eleven am. Just donate five bucks or more to our team and you'll be entered into a raffle to win one of the gift baskets stuffed with cool stuff from Doctor Marty's Nature's Blend Premium Freeze Die Dogfood Freeze dried dog Food. It's made with real cuts of meat, superfood, veggies, and fruit to support your dog's health and happiness. Plus, if you go to doctor Martypets dot com slash pets Doctor martypets dot com slash pets, you'll save fifty four percent and get free dog treats Okay, wiggle, waggle walk. We hope you'll join us. If you would like to join the team, there's still time and if you'd like to make a donation, or if you'd like to do both, it's super easy. KFI AM six forty dot com slash wig. Our goal is ten thousand dollars. We're getting close, but we're not there yet. So we know that there's a lot of demand for your money, and especially with everything going on in the world. But if you can spare an extra twenty bucks or two hundred bucks, we don't care. We would love your donation and it all goes exactly. It all goes to Pasadena Humane who they take such great care of animals. This is KFI and kost HD to Los Angeles, Orange County Southland. Weather from KFI just sunshine today, highs in the low sixties at the beaches, mid sixties to about seventy for Metro LA and Inlando c. Upper sixties to low seventies for the valleys and Inland Empire. Sixties in the Antelope Valley. Sunny and warmer Tomorrow, hies in the mid seventies to about eighty seventies and to about eighty on Sunday, and then it's going to warm up even more as we head into next week. It's forty seven in Diamond Bar, forty eight Newport Beach, forty one in Palmdale, forty seven in Tustin. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour News for producer Ann and technical producer Kono and traffic specialist Will. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call for Friday morning. If you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on kf I Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.