Speaker 1: It's time for strange science.
Speaker 2: I should never say anything about mothers and sons. You get in a lot of trouble doing that.
Speaker 1: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 2: Well, private space stations sound pretty darn cool. I mean, just think of the view alone. Several companies are aiming to build facilities that would replace the International Space Station and attract a new variety of tenants and travelers anywhere from government astronauts to private research scientists and tourists.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this potentially a money maker. You got to have some sort of commercial viability for it to continue to operate. Think of what you know, Blue Origin with Jeff Bezos and SpaceX with Elon Musk. What they've been trying to do, which is find a public facing company that are sorry, private facing company that can do public things. You got to make money doing it, though, and the government is not necessarily the best way to make sure that you have continued funds coming in, although you can milk the.
Speaker 1: Government for a lot of money.
Speaker 3: So if you had a way to continue to profit off of this thing but also be useful. The different space stations are talking, sorry, different companies are working on these different space stations Axiom is a company that says that they would host as many as eight people in five different modules that orbit above the Earth. This is a company that's based out of Houston. They said they're going to start with a smaller deal that allows them to stick a module onto the current International Space Station, and then the company plans to first connect a power module to the current one, later detach that device and link it to a habitat they could build and send up. Voyager Technologies has a plan for one of these things. Vast is a company that says they want to put together a bunch of haven stations and then a large integrated flexible environment by Sierra Space. Is interesting because it's like basically a giant inflatable temporary tent is what it looks like that they would do in space, and Blue Origin has a version of it as well. Then one of the reasons they need to do that is the current International Space Station is leaking. There's a small leak they say has sprung up on the International Space Station and it's caused an upcoming mission to be delayed by NASA as they try to figure out what this is. The leak was identified earlier this month. They said, it's not significant, but you have to properly seal it in a timely manner to make sure that those astronauts that are currently on the station are safe. It's not uncommon, but they got to make sure that they figure this thing out because it doesn't so it doesn't get it doesn't get any worse. They had one before. I think it was in the Russian side. One of the other capsules on the Russian side had developed a leak that they were about six Did you know.
Speaker 2: That otters hold hands while they sleep to avoid drifting away from each other.
Speaker 4: Oh, it's called rafting. Isn't that nice?
Speaker 1: That's a good science nugget.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: Does your wife like to hold your hand?
Speaker 3: No, we are in the midst of strange science. Some of these stories that are just weird. Apparently, Lake Tahoe has a annual clarity report. It was released this week by the University of you See Davis researchers.
Speaker 4: Lake Tahoe known for its clarity.
Speaker 3: Right, they said the Tahoe Environmental Research Center there you see Davis found the lake's average clarity last year was sixty two point three feet, which is really deep. But that's six feet shallower than it was just a couple of years ago. The level of clarity was surpassed in cloudiness only in twenty twenty one. That was wildfire year, so wildfire smoke blanketed the area. In twenty seventeen, they had very heavy storms and that was marked by the runoff or was caused by the runoff. Clarity is measured using what they say is a seci disc. Researchers lower this white disk into the water to determine the depth at which it disappears. And since the nineteen sixties scientists began monitoring the lake then, they said average clarity has declined by about forty feet since the nineteen sixties. Summer clarity continues to deteriorate. They do not know exactly why, trying to figure out what those particles are that.
Speaker 1: Would affect clarity.
Speaker 3: One theory is that its microscopic plankton too small to have been tracked in some of those earlier studies. But is technology gets better, they may be able to do it, may be able to keep an eye on it.
Speaker 2: Researchers have discovered an unusual spiky creature feeding on a jelly fish like species called hydroid.
Speaker 4: In recent years.
Speaker 2: Similar specimens have been recorded in that area of the Yellow Sea, just off the east coast of China, but never identified until now. Researchers have confirmed all ten creatures belong to a new species of sea slug. This is according Have you gotten your peer review journal named zoo keys yet?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't.
Speaker 2: It just came out yesterday, so it might not get here till sat Well, with Juneteenth, you might not get it until Monday.
Speaker 1: That's a good point.
Speaker 2: It is called the Quingdao sea slug. It's about an inch and a half long, which researchers call large for a sea slug.
Speaker 1: Lucky.
Speaker 2: The body is translucent yellow to dark brown with numerous scattered orange to brown spots and white blotches.
Speaker 4: Sounds like it's got to get to a.
Speaker 3: Nucner wide, pale pink foot and four or five oral tentacles they call it oral.
Speaker 4: What are those sensory appendages?
Speaker 2: They use it for staging like thing tentacles like an octopus, like coming out of its mouth or around its mouth?
Speaker 4: Are they in the mouth? Where are they?
Speaker 3: Imagine the whiskers that we have. Yeah, we're actually made of skin and not. Oh interesting, And then they could push stuff into your mouth, so you didn't have to use your hands.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, like that woman that I saw at the theater, the way she was eating that popcorn. Yes, she could just use her oral tentacles.
Speaker 3: They said that this quing Dow sea slug is the first species in the pseudo Bornella genus that's been discovered in almost one hundred years.
Speaker 2: I think we could use that for space wars like creatures.
Speaker 3: The thing is that's been done in other space, which has Yeah, have you ever seen Predator?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 3: Not one moment of the movie Predator No? Or Predator Too?
Speaker 4: No? Why would I see Predator two?
Speaker 1: About predator versus Alien?
Speaker 4: No? So what is the predator?
Speaker 1: Is it alien? Then?
Speaker 4: Why is it alien versus predator?
Speaker 1: It's a different creature.
Speaker 2: But oh so predator and Predator too or is different than Predator versus Alien. They're talking about a different type of predator. No, the predators the same all the time. And it's also an alien. Well did you ever see the movie Alien? Did you ever see the movie Aliens? I'm you ever seeing the movie Alien? So I'm just trying to drill down on what the predator is. And if you say the Predator is an alien? Then why would they call the movie editor versus Alien. Isn't that like alien versus alien, as like a name a nomen.
Speaker 1: Et versus the Gremlins?
Speaker 4: So what does the predator look like?
Speaker 3: I'm not gonna it has oral tentacles that it does like claws and fangs and everything.
Speaker 4: Oh fascinating.
Speaker 1: No, No it's not. You're just saying words now.
Speaker 2: I'm googling predator. It looks like a man. It's got legs, it's upright. What do you think aliens look like?
Speaker 4: Predator's very scary.
Speaker 2: And those are not the type of oral tentacles I'm talking about the way that I'm talking about for space Wars, they would be like octopus tentacles.
Speaker 3: I want to see how long you were going to go with that, because this is, uh fascinating. There is a a new study that was published in the journal Science about buildings that are coded in cement based paint that can wet, and the sweating paint can keep the buildings that much cooler. Keeping cool when temperatures rise is often the largest cost of a building of any size.
Speaker 1: I mean a building like this size.
Speaker 3: We've got six floors in this building, a couple hundred thousand square feet, probably tens of thousands of square feet, I'm assuming, and it costs a lot to keep this place cool, especially in the summer. In the San Fernando Valley, about twenty percent of all the electricity used in the world goes to fans and air conditioning systems. And they said that they want to have this paint that will take advantage of the passive cooling process, in which an object loses heat through the emission of infrared radiation. Paints are frequently limited to dry, sunny climates, and the coatings can't do their job if there's too much outside ambient moisture or cloud coverage. So on this they're saying that they would actually be able to have a paint that sweat and release some of that energy, poling down the building, making everything cooler and cheaper.