Speaker 1: Right first, Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back and with it an annual postseason tradition scam is back.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: This is Sax and Cakes in the A app Go with Broway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now while the Dan Patrick Show streams on the iHeartRadio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kats and Steve sachs Ah.
Speaker 3: Here we are. It's game day, Game three of the n l DS Dodgers podres series time and a game of beats. This rivalry he has heated up to levels we have never seen before after Game two and what happened on the field at Dodgers Stadium and now even more fuel to this fire before Game three in San Diego tonight. Good morning, Southern California. I have Tim Kate joined by two time World Series Champion, Rookie of the Year and my favorite number three of all time. Steve Sacks Saxy, Good morning.
Speaker 2: What up, Tim? Hey, this is the first time I get to see you in action.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we got a little video going back and forth for social media. It's gonna be posted up on a FI seventy LA Sports and all their different social media outlets this morning. So we hope you enjoy that. We got a jam pack three hour show coming up here on Saxon Kates and the am. Plenty of time for your phone calls this hour and next hour as we get into Game three tonight, Dodgers and Padres, Michael King and Walker Bueller the pitching matchup. In our final hour, David Vassay, our Dodger insider, will join us. Also, Steven Nelson, one of the new voices of the Dodgers, used to be on MLB Network. Now you see him on sports and at LA and he's calling this NLDS right here on AM five seventy LA Sports. So excited to talk to Nelly. In the final hour of the show, We're gonna go a little Major League Baseball whip around. In the second hour of the show, gets Steve's thoughts on the other series that are happening around baseball in this postseason. A wild game last night between the Royals and the Yankees, as the Royals have tied that series up at a game of piece. Well here from Walker Bueller, the Game three starter tonight for the Dodgers. This is a huge one for Walker Bueller. Later on this hour, we're gonna get into this rivalry. Isn't really a rivalry between the Dodgers and the Padres, so we'll get into that. But Saxy Game two, the dramatics. We saw what happened between Manny Machado and Jack Flaherty, and then of course what happened in this seventh inning on the field with the fans and the Padres outfielders. But we find out now twenty four hours later, there's a little bit more fuel to this fire. And here is manager Dave Roberts yesterday talking to the media and our own David Vassa with a very interesting.
Speaker 4: Question, Dave, last night, did the ball that Machado threw into your dugout almost hit you? And did you feel like that should have been an ejection because Trip Gibson went over there right away to try to intervene, but that seemed to be what sparked the giant between Flaherty and Machado. Did it almost hit you, well? Did you know that?
Speaker 5: I didn't know. I didn't notice it at the time. I really didn't. I didn't notice it. I did see the video and it was it was unsettling. Obviously, I have a relationship with Manny from from years past. There was intent behind it. It didn't almost hit me because there was a net and that was very bothersome. It's it's uh, if it was intended at me, i'd be very it's it's it's it's pretty disrespectful. So I don't know his intent. I want to speak for him, but I did see the video and the ball was directed at me with something behind it, So but I don't know what led to that. I didn't see it in real time, but I did see the video.
Speaker 4: Did you feel after seeing the video he should have been ejected for that?
Speaker 5: I don't think they should have had a little arm around each other conversation. If players can throw balls at opposing managers.
Speaker 4: You said that you felt the ball was directed at you after I saw the video. Did you have any dialogue with Manny before that?
Speaker 5: The only dialogue I had was he was chirping at Jack and I looked at him and shook my head and making a point that we wouldn't hit him on purpose to lead off an inning in a being down two runs. And again the point being is, I think he's using a fuel. As a baseball person, anyone understands that you don't do that intentionally, put the leadoff man on base with three, four or five coming up behind.
Speaker 3: It just makes no sense, all right, Steve, he called it unsettling, He called it disrespectful. Manny Machado throwing a baseball towards the Dodgers dugout. When you hear that, is this bad? Well there's no need for it, that's for sure. And you know, it would have been maybe a different story if Dave sawt in real time.
Speaker 2: Who knows what would have happened. But you know, if Dave Roberts says it, it's real because he's not a guy that's gonna start trash or anything like that. He's not that kind of man. And so seeing it, you know in video, he felt that there was some intent behind it, and I believe it.
Speaker 3: There was a throw down in a second after you Darvish got warm done warming up and the ball skipped on the dirt, and so when it was thrown around the infield, Manny mitchatdo got in a third and threw it towards the dugout. And Manny said he threw it towards the dugout because he was getting it out of play because a new baseball had been inserted to you, darbish, to start the inning there in the bottom half of the sixth. So he just threw the ball, as he said, towards the Dodgers dugout to get it out of play, towards a ball boy. But he threw it pretty hard, and he did throw it towards the direction of Dave Roberts. And there's a netty now in front of the dugouts at Dodgers Stadium. Is it one of these unwritten rules of baseball, because I'm confused, there's a lot of unwritten rules in baseball about throwing a baseball towards a dugout like that. Because the video that we do see now, Teoscar Hernandez kind of perks up and yells out at Manny. Machado didn't like it. Bob Garrett, I think, was sitting right next to Dave Roberts. There was a couple of Dodgers that took umbrage to the fact that Manny threw that ball over there.
Speaker 2: At the time he did, and especially with the tenor between the two teams, you could have just you know, rolled it over there. You could have done it a lot, a lot simpler. But there was some slight intent there between, you know, between you know, Dave and him, and I believe I believe he was trying to send him a message like, you know, you're not going to intimidate us. I know we're in your house, but here you go, and you know it's not good. But I didn't see it in real time either, But I think what Dave's saying is factual.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of feels like both teams right now Saxy are trying to find some fuel, trying to find something to maybe motivate their teams. I don't need I don't know why you need motivation at this point in the postseas, especially with this series the way it is and the way these two teams have battled in three of the last five years. But maybe Dave Roberts is using this, maybe it's something, but he's making it more of an issue to fire up his guys because the Padres are such a fiery team.
Speaker 2: They are, and he's probably just looking for a little edge. And and this is this is reminiscent of what happened with us in eighty eight when Tommy Lasorda posted that note down in the locker room. Actually a couple times, once once with David David Cone who was chirping about our club, and we use that against him. And then Bob Costas in the news again today saying that this is the worst looking team, This is a this is the least talented major league team I've ever seen. And then we went out and Beata's and Tommy used that as fuel as well. So it's not you know, this is this is not some revelation, but it's good to use some of those things to kind of get to a little bit of edge for your ball club.
Speaker 3: I look at this as more and more we talk about in SAXE. I think this is what Dave Roberts is trying to maybe hang his hat on to rally his team because they've got nothing else outside of hey, we got to win this series to move on. He needs something to fire up this team. Maybe it's an individual thing to Mookie to jumpstart him offensively. Maybe it's something to give a little bit more juice to Freddie Freeman to come back and play tonight in Game three. Maybe it's whatever to motivate these guys individually and collectively. But yeah, it kind of feels like one of those things Dave Roberts is trying to rally this team around and get him fired up.
Speaker 2: I look at it as I look at it as not necessarily a motivation thing, because I don't think anybody needs motivation. I mean, this is this is for everything right now, right, and I don't think they you're gonna need somebody to motivate you. But I think it's it's a slight edge against the other team to get in their head. Maybe not necessarily to motivate my guys, but to you know, put a little bit of thought in the head of the other guys. I think that's what he's using it for, and it's a very smart move.
Speaker 3: I don't know if I agree, because that team across there in San Diego, they don't need anything else. They don't need motivation, They don't need Dave Roberts saying that to get them fired up. I think he's directing this more towards his team because they need something to rally around. They need a common ground to stand on going into San Diego, in particular. Now this series is shifting to San Diego. If what happened on Sunday night in Game two and the incident the fans and the chirping back and forth wasn't enough, this hopefully maybe cranks it up a little bit and now they can have this hole. Let's circle the wagons. We're going into Petco Park. You know what they tried to do to our manager. You saw what they did through that ball of Dave Roberts. How damn Manny Machado, What are they doing? We gotta go into the pet cole Park and we gotta rally together. We gotta play as the team, and we gotta go in there like this is a battle between us and them and only one teams coming out of this.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. Let's go Tim. Yeah, no, it's uh, it's it can work that way for sure. But I also think my point was that if you give them another thing to think about the opposition, then it maybe it takes away from what they're doing. You know, how good they've been with us. I don't think they need motivation at all. They kind of thrive on this stuff. But if you give them something else to think about, that might be, that might be a good distraction for you know, for the Dodgers. But you know what, it's gonna come down. Team. We're gonna talk about this later on. As far as points of the game. We all know what they are and we'll we'll drill down on those later. But but I'll tell you what it's gonna have to you know, when this team is loaded with stars, they're gonna have to shine, just like O'tani did in Game one, you know. And I think we're gonna we're gonna see that this is gonna be. This is gonna be the best baseball in the United States of America right now, This Dodger Padre rivalry is being talked about everywhere on these coast. I got friends back East that are talking about this stuff. We can't wait to watch that game at six o eight pm Pacific. We're on pins and needles. We can't wait to see it. And they got the Yankees and Mets playing back there.
Speaker 3: Exactly when the MLB Network, based in New York is starting there all their broadcasts with Padre's Dodgers. You know something is right with this series because the other series are good and we'll get into them, and there's a lot of exciting teams and young players that we could be focusing on in Major League Baseball in this postseason. But you mentioned eighty eight and the David Cohne comments and the Bob Costas comments that got posted up as bulletin of war and material. Did it work? Was it a little extra fuel at that time for you guys or was it an eye roll from that eighty eight Dodgers team in that clubhouse?
Speaker 2: I think it worked. I mean it was something to get get you a little bit on edge and a little little more spice in your in your shoes. I think I think it. I think it worked, and it gave us something to kind of, uh to put your energy towards, because you know, there's so much energy going on, especially right before the game start, and this was a place to kind of like burn off some of that excess fuel, I guess you could say. And it worked for us. It certainly did, because you know, beating the the Mighty Mets in seven, where they just absolutely trounced us during the season. Was was a feat in and of itself, but then to go ahead and beat the A's after that was it was a pretty great thing. And that you know that team was we were not the talent was talented team. I'll tell you one thing though, We had great pitching and that's where it is. That's where the game is one of the lost as we all know.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna tell you what the other motivation for Dave Roberts is in by bringing up Manny Machado, throwing the ball at him and calling it as he did, unsettling and disrespectful. This, Steve Sachs, is what you call a Phil Jackson move. Phil Jackson was the king and Tommy Lestorda as well the king of Hey, look over here at me. Let's all distract and look at me. I'm gonna make me the center of attention to take the pressure off of my guys, to take the attention away from Mookie Betts being over twenty two, Freddie Freeman hurt the need for starting pitching in Walker Buehler to be Walker Buehler five years ago. All that needs to happen, but I'm gonna take that focus away from them and the pressure off of them. And I'm gonna make it about me, So talk about me. Make this an incident, me, me, me, so my guys don't have to worry about talking to the media. Yeah, this is Phil Jackson to a t, right.
Speaker 2: And because we all know Dave Roberts, he doesn't want anything to do to do with the stuff other than what's going on in the field and playing the game. Yeah, that's what that's what he's central about. But so it's a good move by Dave. I think it works in a lot of different subtle ways. And we're gonna see if it's going to pay dividends tonight. It's gonna be a great event.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be a great game three tonight. Right here on an five seventy LA Sports first pitch at six oh eight, Michael King, Walker Buehler, the pitching matchup. I'll have Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck at five o'clock PM. Right here on an five seventy eight, six, six, nine eighty seven, two five to seventy is our phone number. Your thoughts on Dave Roberts and this incident with Manny Machado, Is it Dave Roberts firing up the troops. Is it Dave Roberts playing mind games with the San Diego Padres? Or is this a big deal going into Game three? Manny Machado trying to throw baseball at the Dodger manager eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Coming up in our final hour, David Vez, who you heard ask the question at the media availability yesterday, will join us. Steven Nelson, one of the voices of the Dodgers right here during the NLDS on ANFI seventy, will join us in the final hour as well. We'll hear from Walker Bueler. You heard from Dave Roberts. We want to hear from you at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. And is this series now a r ivalry Dodgers Giants? Yeah, Dodgers Padres. I think we've officially got there. We'll get to it next he is Steve Sacks. I am Tim Kats. We want you to be a part of the show at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy eight. Scam right, you're on NFI seventy. La Sports Saxon Kates in the am on this Tuesday Morning on m five seventy LA Sports leading up to Game three of the NLDS, Walker Buehler on the mount tonight, searching all regular season. Maybe he found it in his final couple of starts going into the postseason. Dodger's certainly gonna need a vintage Walker Buehler from twenty eighteen, nineteen twenty to be on the mountain tonight in Game three to night Tim Kate, Steve Saxon You on this Tuesday morning eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two five seventy You heard Dave Roberts comments to the media yesterday Manny Machado throwing a baseball at him in between the innings and the sixth inning on Sunday night. That's why Jack Flarity and Manny Machado really got chirping from the dugout in third base, and Dave Roberts said it was unsettling and disrespectful for Manny Machado to throw a ball towards him in the dugout on Sunday nights. Could lead to something tonight, could lead to nothing. We'll find out in the game tonight in San Diego. But Saxy, this Dodgers Padres series is certainly fueled by a lot of things on and off the field, But this is a rivalry. Maybe, are we getting to the point now, Saxy, where the Dodgers and Padres have elevated their games and they're head to head series now where this is a legitimate rivalry between the two.
Speaker 2: Heck, yeah, this is a big rivalry. And look at this isn't something that's just been creeping up on us. This thing's been a rivalry for a long time, no question about it. We always he's looked at the Padres as a rivalry really as much as San Francisco. Yeah, because they were always really tough to beat, especially down in San Diego. They were very tough to beat. I remember, didn't matter their teams, even when the Padres weren't that good, remember where they were just like Stepchild and the you know, it was a lot of years in the West and they were just getting beat downs all the time. But every time we went down there, there was you know, one of their pictures was up hitting a home run in the eighth inning and it was like, oh, ye, are you kidding me? The most unlikely of people would step to the forefront and just put a big thorn on our side, and it was it was all And of course they had Tony Gwenn. So every time it seemed that we were playing the Padres, it was always a packed house down there. Uh it was a you know, it was a one run game there was the bases were loaded and that guy was coming up with one out. You figure you have a meeting at the mound, and it was like, Okay, we know he's gonna hit it hard, just hopefully it's at somebody. So we would just try to position them, you know, as the picture was going to pitch against him because you couldn't really defend that guy. But it was always a rivalry with San Diego.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel like it's recency by this because these two teams in the last four to five years have been really good atop the division and the other teams just haven't. And the Giants have fallen off and have been trying to figure it out and rebuild. And now they're going in a different direction after far Hans Aidies era is over and they're bringing Buster Posey in to run baseball operations. Arizona's kind of been up and down. Don't even make the Playoffs this year, but they go to the World Series last year. Colorado's just kind of been fledgling there as a team that everybody picks on in the NL West. But Dodgers Padres since twenty twenty. Of course, they met in the bubble in the postseason, had a great series there. Things got chippy with Manny Machado and Bruce dargraderol going back and forth yelling at each other from opposing Dougouts. They met again in twenty twenty two, and of course we know the Padres beat them in the NLDS and that was the first time they kind of got over that hump of beating the Dodgers. And now this year with the rivalry starting in South Korea to start the season, and you know, the Padres winning the season series, taking eight of the thirteen games, and now a split here in the first three. I think, yeah, the last five or six years, this certainly is a rivalry, But in the eyes of baseball, you're a Dodger throw and through for decades here saxy is it will every get to that Giants Dodgers' rivalry cannon or is there just too much history with the Dodgers and Giants coming to get coming to the West Coast in nineteen fifty eight together from New York.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a lot of history there, of course, with the incident with Johnny Roseborough and all that, you know, hit and hitting the catcher, you know, So there's so much history with the Giants. But this Padre rivalry, I feel, is even more intense. It's newer, of course, but it's it's a little more intense because I don't know, maybe it's maybe it's proximity. You know, they're so close to us. They're not far from Los Angeles, right down the road there and there. It almost seems like every time the Dodgers and Padres hook it up, it's the Padres got nothing to lose, right because the Dodgers are the big guys on the block and they're supposed to beat the Padres. But the Padres, everybody knows in baseball, the baseball officionados know that this team is stacked. I mean all the way through they're pitching, their bullpen is locked down. They've got lots of guys that can come up and beat you, and they've got some stars on the team. So they've got nothing to lose and it's a great position to be in if you're San Diego. But I think the cream rises to the top, and that's what we're going to see tonight.
Speaker 3: I think a rivalry the fans seem to kind of always determine that could be based on history of these two teams facing each other, certainly the Dodgers and Giants, but you mentioned it, there's bad blood with the players and the Dodgers and Padres. I think that has elevated this rivalry to the point where it's at maybe more quickly. Doesn't necessarily have the history like the Dodgers and Giants, but maybe the bad blood and the actual back and forth between these two teams, it's real. I mean, but was it always the case with the Dodgers and Giants as well? When you were playing for the Dodgers, did you hate the Giants that much?
Speaker 2: Well, you got to realize that I grew up loving the Giants and hating the Dodgers because I grew up here in Sacramento.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: But you know, once you get over to the organization, things changed extremely quick, very quickly. Yeah, And you know I didn't necessarily hate the Giants. I liked playing against them because they were our nemesis. But it was funny because my family would all come to the games in San Francisco. Of course there'd be lots of relatives and what are they renting buses and go and come to watch me play. And that's why I always stunk up the joint when I was trying to press my family. And then, you know, in a in a pitching break, replacing the pitcher, and maybe they had somebody on second base. You know, the guys usually go over and you know, talk a bit. And I walked over. I think Robbie Thompson was on second base, and and my family after the game, says man, when they were taking the picture out bringing the relief picture, you walked over to the second base. What were you saying to Thompson? Were you guys gonna fight? But I mean, were you guys going back and forth? Yeah? And I said no, we were actually making dinner plans for tonight after the game.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, whatever it was.
Speaker 2: And so it's more probably on the field than it is I mean, more proud, I would say in the stands sure, than it is on the field. I would think.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why this rivalry right now, this one.
Speaker 2: Here is real with San Diego, there's no doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the players are so involved in now, Dave Roberts calling it unsettling and disrespectful, and maybe the Padres in their eyes, and certainly the fans in their eyes, have always wanted to have a rivalry with the Dodgers, and the Diamondbacks have tried that. I mean, Derek Hall was the PR director for the Dodgers now as the president of the Arizona Diamondbacks, and he's tried to make it a rivalry over there and certainly got a lot of transplants over in Phoenix. And you you were first base coach well the Diamondbacks, so you know the fact that they've been they've been trying to make this.
Speaker 2: A rivalry for years. Yeah, And look, when you're in a position, let this be known. When you're in a position like the Dodgers, with the rich tradition of winning and the World Series and all the great I mean, I get around Sandy Kofax and I almost want to Genuflex.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's just like, he's just like such an honorable man. And and the Dodgers have people like this throughout their you know, their storied franchise, and so everybody wants to beat the Dodgers. Man, everybody hates the Dodgers if you're not loving them. So it's either one or the other. But I can tell you up here, and I live in northern California, up here near Sacramento, there's there's La Dodger hats and fans everywhere up here. I mean it's a lot more than you think. There's lots of Dodger fans up here in the north and and that's the way it is throughout the country. I go, you know, I travel and whatnot. I'm in Florida or I'm in New York, I see La Dodger hats all the time. I mean, that's that's the the goodwill and the tradition that the Dodgers have built over so many years, starting back in Brooklyn, of course, And so that that's the way it is. Everybody. You either really love him or you want to beat him down. And that's that's the only way you can look at it. With the with the Eli Dodgers.
Speaker 3: I was talking with David Vesse, our Dodger insider who will join us in the final hour of the show, and he mentioned this a couple of days ago. He says, this Dodgers Padres rivalry feels a lot like the Lakers Sacramento Kings in the early two thousands ago, and very much chill well in that it was great at the moment for those few years, and it was heated because he had the whole Doug Christie, Rick Fox, the cow bell Yeah, absolutely, and they hated La, and LA started to hate you know, Sacramento and Chris Webber and everybody up in Sacramento. And then they even got tired of the cow bells down here. And it was intense for about a four or five year run. And now it's now it's not. Yeah, and maybe this falls into that category. Is that for a good stretch here, we're gonna have a Dodger's Padres rivalry because of the players making it a rivalry. When Manny Machado retires and he's gone and there's no more Jerks and Profar and Fernando Tatist Junior is gone from the game in ten to fifteen years, maybe this rivalry doesn't continue. But I think for this stretch of time, certainly it is equal to a lot of those rivals. Tommy edmund who came over in a trade from the Saint Louis Cardinals to the Dodgers, was asked about this yesterday and he said, yeah, I've been a part of the Cardinals and Cubs rivalry for his entire professional career. And he said both team's stunk during his time there. But now he's here and he says, yeah, this is He said, this is pretty intense.
Speaker 2: There's no there's no question when you're and I think the like I said, the geography, uh has has a lot to do with it. That's never going to change. And you know, like you said, Cubs and Cardinals, you know a big deal, right, That's that's a rivalry. I mean it is though, and certainly the Red Sox and Yankees are a huge rivalry, no doubt. And I think the Dodgers and Giants always will be just because of their history. But this thing about San Diego, I don't think it's going away even and I don't think the Padres are going to be a team that's not going to be interested in trying to put a great product on the field. They got that great stadium now, and we have to give it to him. That stadium is awesome. That is a great ballpark in Petco. It's not Dodger Stadium, but it's a great one. Yeah, And they're always going to try to satiate the fans by putting a good product on the field. And they've got the people in the organization that will spend the money to try to get them there. And so I don't think we're going to see this seeing kind of fizzle off. This rivalry has been too deep and it's been I think too long. I think it's going to be around for quite a while.
Speaker 3: Well, a lot of that credit has to go to Peter Seidler, who passed away the owner of the San Diego Padres, and I believe is the grandson of Walter O'Malley. I need to double check that, but what he built down there and wanting to be competitive, and as you mentioned, be competitive means spending money now in the twentieth twenty first century, because you got to go out and you got to give Manny Machado the money he wants, You got to re sign for Nando Tuttis Junior. You got to be willing to go up and break up a team that they put together and win. They're the Kings of winning the offseas in San Diego. That's what they always joked about, is they don't have any championship trophies, but they got off season championship trophies because they always win the off season with great signings and trades. And it never panned out, the Wan Soto thing, it just didn't work out. So they they flipped the page and they rebuild and they're not worried about money, and they've done a great job of putting a good product on the field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have. And you know what's gonna be face a team this is gonna be faced with that, and maybe not immediately, but the Oaklandes are moving here to Sacramento for at least three years, and you know they've got a bad The product isn't great on the field, but you know, pretty soon once you get a new stadium built, whether it's either going to be here in Sacramento or in Las Vegas, they're gonna have to start putting a product on the field. And John Fisher, the owner the of the oaklan Ades, is gonna have to spend some of that Denaro or maybe trade to you know, sell the team. Who's gonna you know, we don't know yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just to make sure. Yeah, he is the son Peter Siler, who passed away, uh last year, the chairman of the San Diego Padres for a long time owner. Was the grandson of Walter O'Malley and the nephew of Peter O'Malley. Yeah, Peter O'Malley's sister is Peter Siler's mom. So there's the connection. He is the grandson of Walter O'Malley, of course, the late great owner of the Brooklyn Dodgers, and they moved him out here, of course to La to become the La Dodgers. So there's the tie there. And Peter Siler doing his thing down in San Diego built it in to what it is today. And you know, literally they built a fence around Petcoll Park. We could joke about it, but yeah, keeping Dodger fans out of Petco Park?
Speaker 2: How about that?
Speaker 3: And not selling tickets to Dodger fans if they have a zip code on their billion address, it's not at San Diego or Riverside County. Call it petty. You know, I've had about nine thousand discussions with this with people and my family and friends about what do you think it's like, Well, I was pissed off a couple of years ago when they started this, but now it's I don't know why they need to keep doing. They got the fan base built up, they got a really good product in the field. You shouldn't be worried about Dodger fans coming.
Speaker 2: In there because your team's good, that's right. I mean, I don't think the Dodgers are keeping San Diego fans out right, No, I mean no, So, I mean I think it's I think it's detrimental. I think you got to let everybody in expand you know, the knowledge of your team. You would you want to have everybody see it from from all different all different sites. I think that's the best thing. But just to kind of lock down and say no, we're just gonna get the San Diego fans here, I don't know. I'm not a fan of that.
Speaker 3: No, not a fan at all. Eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the telephone number we want you to be a part of this show. Is this series now officially a rivalry? Players from both sides talking about a Michael King who gets the Game three start tonight for the San Diego Padres. He came up in the New York Yankees organization. He pinched in New York for the first couple of years before coming over in the Jan Soto trade, and he was asked about it, he said, absolutely this rank's are up there with the Yankees and Red Sox rivalry, which he was a part of for a brief amount of time, but he grew up rooting for those East Coast Yankees and said, without a doubt the rivalry and passion and being a part of the just this little NLDS that he's been a part of so far this year, he said, absolutely right, it ranks up there with the Yankees and Red Sox.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. There's there's no question. And people can feel it. That's the thing about it. It's more than what you see in the press. It's what you can feel. And you really can't put your finger on that until you're around the situation. People like you know, Tommy Edmund and different people that have come and seen that, they definitely know that this is a rivalry. And by the way, I just want to let you know, I just kind of saw that video of Machado throwing it for the first time. That was no question. Was it intent? Really? Oh, no doubt that.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 2: I hadn't seen it until just a second ago, you know, and I clicked it on and watched it. That was absolutely intent, There's no doubt about it. And he threw it pretty hard and many Mitcheld's got a good arm, and I'm surprised he threw it that was right at the dugout. Come on, really, I mean that, there's no question. Okay, I'm surprised nobody came out of the dugout. Well, that's why Jack Flaherty got so fired. No doubt, he's no question. And you watched the end of the video. Tay Oscar Hernandez, who's standing on the steps getting ready to bat that inning, makes a gesture towards Manny Machado, and I think it's Bob Garan to the left of Dave Roberts, peeks his head up and starts saying something towards the direction of where the ball came in. Manny Machado. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe it is something in saxy. If you think it is, I mean it is, you played the game, you coach in the game. If that's something that's crossing the line. Then heck, let's go that is that is disrespectable. Like Dave Roberts said, maybe what.
Speaker 2: We need to do is we need to we need to see Machado and Flaherty or whoever just just go at it and then get it over with and then play baseball. I think what they should do instead of all the people that run on the field and all the chirping that's going on, just use the on deck circle as the meeting place and have the two combatants go to go to that place and let them get it on for like a minute. That doesn't last more than that, and then you know, didn't get it over with. It's like in hockey. I love it when the referees they just fold their arms and let the guys go at it. When they stop, they break it down and that's it, you know, and that's it. So you probably save a lot of injuries that way, actually.
Speaker 3: No doubt about it. And you know, we'll see who the real tough guys are and we'll see how long it lasts because fighting, you know, for thirty seconds, it's a pretty tiring thing to do out there one on one. But it's interesting, you think it is a big deal.
Speaker 6: Yeah, because I no doubt, Okay, because I kind of felt like Dave Roberts was maybe making this a big deal to motivate his team, and maybe I think he still is trying to keep this going and bringing a little fuel to the fire of his team and a little fire in the belly of his players going into Game three tonight.
Speaker 3: I'll be interested to see if Manny Machado and Dave Roberts address this before the game, if Machado reaches out to Dave Roberts in some fashion and wants to squash this before Game three tonight, maybe to stop any momentum of this Dodgers team going into Game three, to stop any kind of fire that is being started with the Dodgers that could get them going, and maybe light of fire here under Mookie Betts offensively, so I wouldn't be surprising the cat and mouse game here of this this quote unquote rivalry.
Speaker 2: As you just pointed out, I'm not so sure that Dave Roberts would meet with him and squash it. I think I think Dave could use it a little bit more. Yeah, let it kind of fester a little bit and let it get under the skin of the Dodgers even even that if it's just a little bit to kind of divert some of that nervous energy. But I think it's I think it could be something that Dodgers could use. Like I said, Tommy used it on two different occasions in the same series, once with David Combe and once with Bob Costas.
Speaker 3: Now in the twenty first century here, there's no more bulletin board material. I don't thinkink there's even bulletin boards inside of a Dodger clubhouse or baseball clubhouse. But maybe they can get the social media team to put the video and then text it to all the players with a little message from Dave Roberts like, hey, boys, did you see what they tried to do to me?
Speaker 2: Yeah? The question mark, don't you dare do that to our manager? I saw the other day. Who was it? I can't remember who it was, but it was very very new. They they had there at bat they and there was a timeout and somebody was like on the on deck circle with an iPad. Oh and he was he was scrolling through and looking at it and saying, okay, okay, that pitch was a little bit bending down and outside. Okay, shoulders kind of right there, and they was looking at it like almost in real time. Oh yeah, right in between pitches, are in a timeout, or before is a bat one of those things. I'm like, that's where it is now. I mean, my lord, this is getting to be techie saxy.
Speaker 3: You gotta watch a dugout during a team's home at bats or roaded bats. Everybody's on iPads. Everybody's on tablets looking to see what that picture's tendencies are. Go back and they look at their old at bats against them. It's all for them there on these tablets. The video crews are massive for Major League Baseball team look at the NFL. When you get a team gets off the field, they go to the sideline. They don't look just look at pictures anymore. Over and overhead they're on their iPads. Yeah, it's all on tablets. They're all looking to see what they did right, what they did wrong. They got the all twenty two of you. For football, it's the same way for baseball. Pitching change. Oh, let's go over to the dugout. All three batting code over there got tablets and they're all gonna show us what this guy coming to the mound his tendencies are, how his armslot is, what pitches he throws, what he throws in this part of the count, when he gets ahead, when he falls behind. It's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: Now, well, before the game, it's it's very intense. I mean, there's a whole video cue that you can go in and look at everything going back years. You can type in certain situations, okay, guy in first, let me let me see if he's gonna side step or you know, quick step with a home plate. Well, does he show any tendencies when he's in the wind up and you can try to pick off pitches, you know, if he's if he's tipping those, uh, and just a lot of different situations you can point out. But even when I was playing, we could go in the back right behind the dugout and they had the video there and you could see the video. But now it's just hyper speed forward with all these iPads and you can just get it instantly in the dugout. I mean, it's it's so much better nowadays. But I don't know how many guys really want to get so much involved in the video because that can put a lot of stuff in your head too. I didn't like too much of the video. I didn't want if somebody could steal a sign, I didn't want the signs. I didn't want any of that stuff. I just kind of wanted it to be more natural.
Speaker 3: When David Advasse joins us in the final hour, we'll make sure to ask him about it, because he has talked about this a lot on Dodger talk about how it is taken away from a little bit of the team gathering on a bench and getting up on that top step and being together next to your guy arm in arm during at bats or during a game because players are so distracted on their tablets and so focused on looking at at bats on those tablets right that they're not talking to each other, Hey what did you see? What'd you do this here? You know, and communicating with one another on the bench because they all got their heads down looking at what's going on, and they're not paying attention to the game in real time.
Speaker 2: And think and that's important, especially you know, as a leadoff hitter. I would come back almost I was almost Sember Connoissance mission the first time up. I would come back and say, okay, this is what he looks like is you know, guys, ball's got a lot of movement towards the end of the trek towards home plate. It's got a little bump in it, and he's got some jump in that fastball or you know it can't really pick up that slider. It's really tough, you know, at this time of day, you guys are gonna really have to concentrate on that side. And I would give a report to everybody in the dugout after, you know, my first time up. And that's really the the you know, the the the rule that a leadoff hitter has to do is bring that information back. Well.
Speaker 3: Now by the time you get back to the dugout, aby's it three times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they.
Speaker 3: On their shut up. I already saw it, yeah, on way ahead of his sex. You already know what he's gonna do when I get up there. Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. He is Steve Sacks, I'm Tim Kates. We want you to be a part of the show at eighty six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy. Coming up next hour, Walker Buehler will hear from the game three. Starter will go a little baseball whip around Bob Costs has taken some heat after his play by play last night in the Yankees Royals game. David Say will join us in the final hour. Als will Steven Nelson, who's calling the games here on an FI seventy LA Sports here in the LDS, get his thoughts on this Dodgers Padres rivalry? Is it a rivalry? Eight six six ninety seven two five seventy? How fired up are you for Game three? Is it a must win? Walker Bueller? How confident are you in his Game three start tonight? Is the Walker Bueller of twenty eighteen nineteen in twenty or the walker Bueller this season? Better hope it's the former eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It's sax and Kate today. Am right here in m FI seventy l A sports ah as I look out the windows some of our burbank studios here in southern California. This sun is rising. That is a good sign. The sun is out, it is bright, and the Dodgers are in San Diego to take on the Padres. That means one thing. Dodger win, right, Saxony, the sun's out, Dodger.
Speaker 2: Win absolutely, and no need to worry Timmy could cross the spectrum. Right now, everybody is tied one one everybody.
Speaker 3: I think that's the first time since they redid the postseason structure all four series. Yeah, that's three. It's okay, it's okay. See it's okay. You mean the Big Bad Yankees are tied one one with the Kansas City Royals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, with the with the quote lucky Kansas City Royals, with the they got lucky Kansas City roylds. You know about that, right? Yeah? Oh that's not good.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll get into the series in an hour.
Speaker 2: But man, you've seen the Yankees get off the bush.
Speaker 3: Do they do it differently than everybody else?
Speaker 2: Uh? No, it's well, only that they look like they're the La Rams or the San Francisco forty nine ers when they get off the bus. Oh wow, they got some monster dudes over there on that team, they do. They got some big boys on that club and saying I don't know, I don't know saying that, you know, they're just lucky Kansas City. Oh my god, you know what have might happened? Now? Big boys might get really really ticked off and maybe you'll see something over there in that series.
Speaker 3: Yes, that series goes to Kansas City, now tied at one. Bobby with Junior, by the way, is one of my favorite players now baseball. Just an absolute stud man.
Speaker 2: He can do it all. He can do it all. He meant them.
Speaker 3: He might win a triple Crown. I don't know in the future he might, Yeah, no doubt about it. Eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. You heard the comments from Dave Roberts earlier in the hour. He called it unsettling and disrespectful, Manny Machado throwing the baseball over at the Dodgers dugout in the direction of Dave Roberts hitting the net in front of the Dodger dugout. This was what sparks really. Jack Flarity chirping more at Manny Machado in the sixth inning on Sunday night. We wonder why he kept going between the two of them in between innings. And that's exactly why. Is because Jack Flarity, to his credit, the one guy who stood up and said something to Manny Machado for throwing the baseball over at the Dodgers dugout. Actually you've seen the video, Yeah, you think it's disrespectful Yeah, there's no.
Speaker 2: Doubt it is. I mean, you know what, somebody's throwing the ball over there just to be courteous. This wasn't you know, this wasn't curteous and throwing it over there. I saw to ricochet off off the dugout. He do it pretty hard and it was right at Roberts. Was it was very obvious? What was the point there is like here you go in your face and there was intent.
Speaker 3: Is it more motivation upset and this from Dave Roberts and this Dodgers team, or is there really a chance Baseball might actually interviewed and say, well, Manny, you know what, we're going to suspend you or find you for.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 2: I don't think they're going to do that. No, I don't think it's that much. It's just a little, uh, you know, thorn in the side to the Dodgers, and the Dodgers could use it. I mean it's you know what, in everyday life, it is nothing, but you know what, in the world of baseball, use it, man, use it absolutely can be an advantage for you.
Speaker 3: Tommy and La joins us here on Saxon, Kates and Am on this TUESDA Morning lead up. To Game three.
Speaker 7: Good morning Tommy, Hey, good morning guys. I just want to say, you know, I never thought the Padres, uh there were rivals. It was more of the San Francisco Giants. But I always had like it was like a respected Riberry with the Giants. You know, they got the hardware. But after a couple of couple of days thinking about you know, the last game, UH just woke up this morning just you know, this is a Riberry, but it's like a hated Riberry.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: And I want to say, uh, I do feel awful about what happened with with the Dodger fans at the game. I think you know that there's no need for that from us, but you know this, this this team, uh, the Padres. Man, I just I hate these guys.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 7: You know, it's like it is officially a Riberry. And I want to tell our boys in Blue, if they are listening to this program right now, you have to get up for these games in San Diego. You have to win, you know, and the mookie best of you listening, the entire city of Los Angeles behind you, my guy, we know you can do this. We know you got that dog in them in you. You know we're rooted for you. You need to dig big Bookie. We need to out here, buddy. I'll listen in the background.
Speaker 3: Guys, all right, thanks a lot of Tommy. I think he kind of hit it on the head. There was respect and there still is respect for the Dodgers Giants rivalry because as Tommy mentioned, the history and so the hardware between these two organizations. There is hatred now between the Dodgers and Pots. I think that's safe to say. The machado to tease profar back and forth. Yeah, there's hatred between these two organizations. I don't think it's respect like that is with the Giants.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, there's there's hatred on the field, and it kind of reverberates out into the stands too. You know, you wonder how does it how does it just carry on through the next year and all that, And it does. I mean that's one thing about sports man. People love their teams and they're very loyal to them, and so they remember this stuff and this rivalry's gonna continue. I mean, it's San Diego. La San Diego is always trying to, you know, get in the same ring with the Dodgers. I mean it starts with their uniforms. So look at the Dodger uniforms. So those are iconic. I mean, these are one of the greatest uniforms in the history of sports. And then you got the Padres uniform, you know, and really, I mean it's it's like no comparison.
Speaker 3: Brown, I mean brown, gray, and mustard yellow.
Speaker 2: I want to say, Yo, Kyoto Taco bell.
Speaker 3: That's right, and I see it. That's right, by the way, the Taco bell bringing back the double decker taco How about that.
Speaker 2: I love Taco Bell.
Speaker 3: Wow, are you a Taco bell guy?
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. II Kyoto Taco bell big time. Yes, I love Taco Bell. Love it.
Speaker 3: He is Steve Sacks. I am Tim Kates. What hour down, two to go? Coming up in the eight o'clock hour. Steven Nelson play by play voice calling the game here on ANFI seventy LA Sports will join us. David Vasse will join us. You heard his question to Dave Roberts kind of got it all going with the Manny Machado throwing the baseball at the Dodger dugout in the sixth inning on Tuesday night, Dodgers, hopefully using it as fuel going into Game three tonight, Dodgers Padres, it's the NLDS right here on your Home of the Dodgers Amphi seventy I Sports