Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with Me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI had KOST HD two, Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 2: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Well, good morning. This is your wake up call for Wednesday, June eighteenth. It's five o'clock straight up. I'm Amy King. Time to get up, get going. Lots of big stuff planned again today. One of not remind you, but want to let you know that we had Colonel Haig in yesterday. NASA Astronaut Space Force guardian came and visit us at the studio and then went to the Dodger game last night. Throughout the first pitch, his son was a little nervous about it. It was perfect. It was, of course perfect, he did. It's so good, I know, right, So I'm going to probably post that on my Instagram at Amy Kay King. We also have part of the interview from our time with Colonel Haig yesterday, and you can also listen to Bill Handle's interview with Colonel Haig because he was on with Bill at seven o'clock. But such a treat and he signed some pictures his official astronaut picture for us, and so we're going to give you a chance to win some So that's coming up this hour as well. If you'd like an autographed picture of Colonel Nick Haig, here's what's ahead on wake up Call. For the first time this week, there was no overnight curfew in downtown La Mayor Bass announced that the order was being lifted yesterday afternoon. She said though if there is more violence or looting, the curfew could be reinstated. Homeowners have sued the state's largest insurance company, claiming that State Farm under insured them. The lawsuit says State Farm used faulty tools to estimate the cost of rebuilding, which allowed the company to sell lower value policies that cost costs less, but that misled them about their coverage, and homeowners say they've been left with coverage limits that don't cover the cost of rebuilding. Israeli warpay planes have pounded in Iran's capital overnight and into Wednesday, as Iran launched a small barrage of missiles at Israel, with no reports of any casualties. We're going to find out the latest with ABC's Jordana Miller in Jerusalem, who's hopefully not in a bomb shelter right now, we're talking to her. In about three minutes. Metta is going all in to get super smart and a big, beautiful phone. What else could it be but a Trump phone. ABC's Mike Dubuski joins us to tell us more about Trump Mobile. Amy's on it. A new Julianne Moore movie. This woman gets into it deep, the links a mother will go to for her child and the stupid things she will also do. Really interesting show that's coming up at the bottom of the hour. And then a group of kids has gathered together to help kids affected by the Eton fire rise from the ashes. It's a really special concert. It's happening tonight. They're raising money to buy new instruments for students who lost theirs in the fire. And that's so cool. That's coming up at five point fifty. We'll tell you all about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. The la keunny DA and the US Attorney have announced war arrests and charges against people allegedly involved in the recent anti ice protests. These weren't peaceful protesters.
Speaker 4: They weren't holding up signs expressing a political message.
Speaker 5: They were agitators.
Speaker 6: People came to do violence.
Speaker 1: US Attorney for the Central District of California, Bill Assale, says his office has charged dozens of people with felony crimes since the protests began on June sixth. DA Hawkman's office has filed state charges against thirty people. Some are facing both state and federal charges. News brought to you by Sit and Sleep. Businesses in downtown have started to reopen now they're just waiting on customers.
Speaker 2: There's a restaurant here in Little Tokyo that has a handwritten sign that says open, immigrant own, and that sign is attached to the boards that are protecting the door. Without that sign, you might otherwise not know that it is open. That you have a couple of other cheeky signs saying please no destroy, support immigration, not enough insurance. It's kind of the vibe down here. There are businesses that are open, it's difficult to tell sometimes because of the plywood that's been attached to the windows to protect them. Reporting in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: The biggest lottery jackpot winner in history is keeping his money close to home.
Speaker 7: Edwin Castro's two dollars lottery ticket was the only winner for the more than two billion dollar jackpot in twenty twenty two. He ended up with about six hundred twenty nine million dollars have to take in the lump sum and taxes. With that, he's been buying real estate, including a four million dollar home in his hometown, Alta Dina, and a nearly four million dollar home in Malibu, which was destroyed in the Pacific Palisades Fire in January. La County property records shows since the fires, Castro has bought at least a dozen homes in the Alta Dina area at prices between five hundred and thirty thousand and nine hundred and fifty thousand dollars, for a total of just under nine million bucks. Michael Krozer KFI News.
Speaker 1: Keeping it close. I like that, Okay, we're waiting to connect with ABC's Jordona Miller. She'll be calling us from Jerusalem. Of course, things are very dicey at times there, so we don't know. She might have been into a bomb shelter or something like that if Iran has launched more missiles. But we'll wait for her, and in the meantime, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the CAFI twenty four hour newsroom. Oh, we have her, so let's go right to her. ABC's jerdonnah Miller in Jerusalem, Israel and Iran continue to exchange fire, with Israel continuing its attacks on military nuclear development sites in Iran firing in civilian areas. How are things going this morning.
Speaker 6: Well, overnight, the Iranians fired two waves of ballistic ballistic missile strikes on Israel around twelve thirty local and one am. Those about thirty missiles were fired, according to the Israeli Army, and thankfully no one was really hurt, a few running to their bomb shelters, but no major injuries and no fatalities. Again, most of those missiles were shot down, but a few did crash down around the central Tel Aviv area and from what we understand, around the complex near the complex of some Israeli military defense and buildings. And that's not the first time that that has happened. And on the Israeli side, we heard from the spokesman of the Israeli Army a short while ago that the Israelis have carried out in ten strikes overnight on ten Iran, hitting not only factories that make most of missiles, but also centrifuges, and the IAEA appears to confirm that Israel has destroyed some centrifuge factories in the Tehran area in their reporting on the events. And of course, the big headline here really and what has preoccupied israelis not only officials but the public is the question of whether President Trump will join Israel's war against Iran's nuclear ambitions or not.
Speaker 1: Okay, And while we wait for that information, I mean, Israel is just kind of keeping on its same tack and knowing that the big thing, at least from what I've been hearing, Jordana, and tell me if I'm wrong, is that we can't or Israel can't get that main nuclear development site because it's down too deep. They need like a bunker buster bomb and Israel doesn't have.
Speaker 6: Them, right, Israel doesn't have them and they don't have the aircraft to carry them. So the Israelis can do some damage to for Dow. That's the nuclear facility that Israel hasn't touched yet. It's buried deep inside mountain and Quom and it was you know, it was built there of course to protect it from aerial strikes. So the Israelis can do some damage to that facility, but they can't really deal a fatal blow to that facility without the help of the United States. That is from everything we know now. Do the Israelis potentially have something up their sleeve that they are going to unleash on before Dow that we don't know about. It's entirely possible, but the conventional wisdom is that to really strike like that facility, Israel would need the United States. And Israel has been at least in these opening days, quite successful in keeping Iran in a state of kind of shock and awe and establishing a degree of superiority from the skies, and they're able to get in and out of Iran safely, right, So this is a this is a major achievement, and because they've been so successful, it appears that it has now created this kind of ripe moment where if the United States decides to join in, you know, it could be a decisive blow to Iran's nuclear ambitions, which is you know, the aim of this operation according to the Israelis, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And of course, President Trump continues to say Iran cannot have a nuclear weapons, so we're gonna have to wait and see what happens if the US joins in or Israel does it on their own. Jordana Miller in Jerusalem, thank you so much for the information. As always, Stay safe, Okay, thanks talk soon, all right, And we're just we're also hearing word this morning that leader Komayne is saying that if the US does join up with Israel, it's going to cause irreparable harm. He said it could cause all out war. So we don't know if that's saber rattling, if Iran has something up at sleeve. So we're just going to have to wait and see. And as I was listening to Gary and Shannon yesterday, they were saying that they think something's going to happen soon, and it sounds like things are kind of heating up or moving our assets into place in the Middle East, our military and that kind of stuff in a defensive posture. So we shall see. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. New figures show up to a million illegal immigrants have left the US since President Trump started his second term. Census data shows they've been dropping out of the workforce at a high rate. Art Arthur from the Center for Immigration Studies tells kfi's John Cobalt it's about one hundred ninety thousand people per month.
Speaker 4: ICE admit that it's deported about just over two hundred thousand people. Those other people had to gone somewhere, and they went home.
Speaker 1: He says, most illegal immigrants who come to the US end up working blue collar jobs. At least one member of Congress has canceled a scheduled town hall after learning that their name was included on the hit list of an accused killer in Minnesota.
Speaker 8: Authority say fifty seven year old Vans volt Or had a hit list of at least forty five state and federal elected officials, most or all Democrats.
Speaker 1: ABC's Faith Abu bass Hiss. Members of Congress want the divisive political rhetoric on all sides to be toned down. A Minnesota state lawmaker and her husband were shot and killed over the weekend. A state senator and his wife were also shot, but they survived. Americans have been warned not to travel to Iran under any circumstances. The warning comes mid reports at the White House is considering an offensive strike against Iran. State Department spokesperson Tammy bursas the department's working to help US citizens in the Middle East stay informed as tensions escalate. Civil aviation officials in India have met with Air India officials to go over the airline's operations following a crash that killed more than two hundred and forty people.
Speaker 5: Following the inspections of the airline's Boeing seven to eighty seven fleet, no major safety concerns were found. The aircraft and associated maintenance systems were found to be compliant with existing safety.
Speaker 1: Standards ABC's and As Delacataire says it's still not known what caused the crash last week. One man survived. The Food and Drug Administration says it'll offer faster drug reviews to some companies.
Speaker 8: The FDA says the sped up process will go to those companies that align with Trump administration priorities for Americans' health. The new program aims to review select drugs in just one to two months. The FDA already has a variety of programs designed to speed up drug reviews, but they all have fairly strict medical criteria, debor Mark Kafi.
Speaker 1: News celebrity chef Anne Burrell has died. TMC says she was found unresponsive in her home yesterday in Brooklyn, New York, and paramedics couldn't revive her. Burrell, with her signature bleached blonde, spiky hair, was best known for her appearances on the Food Network. She was fifty five years old. Tom Cruise and Dolly Parton will be honored by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences this year's Governor's Awards. Cruz is going to get an Honorary Oscar for what the Academy calls his incredible commitment to our filmmaking community, to the theatrical experience, and to the stunts community. Of course, he does its own stunts. Parton is getting the Gene Herschalt Humanitarian Award. The board says the country music legend exemplifies the spirit of the award with unwavering dedication to charitable efforts. She does so much. The sixteenth annual Governor's Awards will be held in November in LA. The Trump administration has activated another two thousand California National Guard troops to send to LA as immigration enforcement efforts in the area continue. The troops are stationed in northern California. Governor Newsom's office criticized the announcement yesterday. The governor has requested a six month delay in the implementation of a new law, which requires large employer health plans to cover in vitro fertilization and infertility treatments. If no change is made, the law will start on July first. Carson's been declared a fireworks free zone ahead of the fourth of July. Violators face finds up to five thousand dollars. People who report illegal fireworks can earn rewards up to five hundred dollars. At six oh five tandle on the news, he's gonna be taking a look at all the hot topics for the day. Right now. Let's say good morning to ABC's tech reporter. It's Mike Debusky. Morning, Mike, Good morning, Amy.
Speaker 2: How are you good.
Speaker 1: So Meta is making moves to make itself really really smart.
Speaker 3: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 3: Meta is investing in what's called a super intelligence lab, and they are making this major investment more than fourteen billion dollars in this company called Scale AI in order to do that So what Scale AI is is they are a human verified AI research firm. Essentially, they're a picks and shovels company. They're a company that gives the larger large language models, right the Googles and the open Ayes of the world, the material they need to train their chatbots and AI systems. So they're kind of behind the scenes, but they're really important in the AI space. Meta is making a more than fourteen billion dollar investment in this company. They are making a forty nine percent acquisition stake in this company, and they're getting their CEO in the process, a guy named Alexander Wang, to head up this new super intelligence lab with the goal of creating technology that they say will be smarter than the human brain, that will go beyond the capabilities of what we can do as humans and usher in this new era of technology. Amy. I can already tell that your eyebrow is raising, but there is reason to be skeptical here. But that is what they say they are doing, and Meta seems very committed to the idea because fourteen billion dollars is nothing to sneeze at.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, Mike, is is it to catch up to like open AI or is it to go beyond.
Speaker 3: Them both essentially. So Meta has found itself sort of behind in the AI race right Their large latest large language model, it's known as LAMA four, kind of you know, failed to meet expectations. It doesn't do quite as well on some of the tests that we subject these large language models to. And Open AI and and some others out there Anthropic Google are kind of at the head of this, and Meta doesn't want to be left behind because they see this as again kind of the next turn of the screw, the next evolution in the world of technology, and they think that scale AI are the kind of guys to help do this. So that is part of this. There are again some reasons to be skeptical of this idea of a superintelligence that's gonna you know, change our lives and let us all go on vacation and you know, computers handle things. For example, Apple recently put out a reportant Apple itself is very much in the AI race that found that the current cutting edge of large language models, known as large reasoning models, have quote fundamental limitations that they're not quite as smart as we think they are, that they're not really reasoning in the way that our human brains do. Reports from Arizona State University and others sort of back that claim up. Even still, this is a hot topic in Silicon Valley, with Sam Altman, who's the CEO of Open Ai, telling President Trump recently that they are going to achieve this super intelligent computer that matches or surpasses the capabilities of the human brain by the end of his term. Dario Amiday, who's the head of Anthropics, said that we could see major disruptions from this type of technology in the next two to three years.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's exciting and scary al at the same time. Okay, so cool job. Yeah, let's talk about this big, beautiful phone.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 3: So on Monday here in New York City, the Trump Organization announced that they are making a major move into the world of telecom. They are announcing Trump Mobile, which is what's known as an mv and O, a mobile virtual network operator, which is essentially a small cell phone provider that kind of piggybacks off the networks of the larger providers.
Speaker 1: So it's like Mint Mobile, It's.
Speaker 3: Exactly like Mick Mobile. These two companies are going to compete with one another. Cricket Wireless is another one that is in this space. And as part of this, despite the fact that they say Trump Mobile will work with pretty much any modern smartphone, they are launching their own proprietary device. It's called the T one. Technically its full name is the T one eight thousand and two Gold version, and that name is not a missover. It is gold. It is trimmed in gold leaf for or some sort of gold.
Speaker 1: Effect it has to be if it's tied to Trump, oh of course.
Speaker 3: And it has a big T on the bag an American flag as you would expect, and it appears to be a pretty standard Android device. They are saying that this is going to go for about five hundred dollars and that you know, runs Android fifteen. It has a six point eight inch screen, one hundred and twenty hertz for fresh rate, what you would kind of expect from a phone at that price point in the Android ecosystem. But once you dive a little deeper into the specs that we have on the website, which is pretty much all we have on this phone, no one's really gotten a chance to play around with it, it gets a little confusing. Under the storage section, they say that it has twelve gigabytes of RAM, and RAM and storage are two different things. There's no information about a processor, and a processor is pretty important to the world of smartphones and up until recently, on the website, they claimed it had a five thousand milliamp hour camera, but milliamp hours are used to describe batteries, so there were some typos on the website, it seems like. And the photo that they have, again the only photo that we have of this device, appears to be a rendering, a computer generated image or some sort of photoshopped deal. Because it has a three camera array. It looks sort of like an iPhone trimmed in gold, but there's no flash on that camera array, which is what you would expect to see on something like that. So maybe reason for pause if you're thinking about purchasing a t one, but you still can put down one hundred dollars deposit if none of that is enough to dissuade you.
Speaker 1: Do we have any idea of a timeframe, like when they're going to launch the service and start telling the phones.
Speaker 3: So on the website it says coming soon. There's also other reporting out there that says that it could be as soon as the fall. But a real wrench in all this, Amy, is that the Trump organization says they plan to build this phone in the United States. There is no major smartphone that is built in the United States. We don't really have an infrastructure to do it. And that would mean that, you know, if they are serious about this, they would have to spin up a factory, they would have to hire workers, they would have to train workers. We don't train workers to build smartphones here, set up supply chains and suppliers and what have you. It would be really a monumental task that we have not seen undertaken in the United States. And at five hundred dollars, that is I think a big reason for skepticism because, especially within that timeframe, that's that's kind of unrealistic. So it is possible that they're going to import a phone from elsewhere, but also that would run counter to the Trump organizations kind.
Speaker 1: Of made in America thing.
Speaker 3: Attempt to get yeah, manufacturing back to America. But we'll just have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: All Right, ABC's tech reporter Mike Debuski, thanks so much, of course, Amy too. All Right, Tucson and off duty LA Kenny Sheriff's deputy has been killed in a crash on the one to one freeway in Studio City. Thirty one year old Marcos Pana Junior was a passenger in a ride share car that was involved in a crash near the one seventy and one thirty four interchange yesterday. That was a crash that Will was telling you about all morning. Another passenger in the car was also killed. A man in Santa Monica has been arrested for allegedly trying to sexually assault an eighty four year old woman. Police say she was grabbed June fifth and dragged into an alley near sixth Street and Wilshire Boulevard. People heard screaming and called for help. The man named Pope Tall was arrested nearby. He's facing charges that include kidnapping, an assault with attempt to commit rape, and also a probation violation. A former receptionist to music and dance school in her Mosa Beach has been arrested for allegedly putting cameras in several bathrooms at the school. Jordan Godoa is facing several charges, including invasion of privacy and possession of child pornography. Law enforcement in California is warning about fake parking tickets.
Speaker 9: In Santa Cruz. Fake tickets are now showing up for the third summer in a row. Fake tickets were recently placed on cars near beaches. Police advised checking any ticket details carefully. The scams often include QR codes on the tickets that lead to fake payment websites. It's unclear how many fake tickets have been issued or how many people have been tricked into paying. Mark Ronner.
Speaker 1: KFI News oh that Security Secretary Christy Nome has been taken to the hospital in Washington, DC. ABC's Kana Whitworth says it turned out to be just as a precaution. She suffered an allergic reaction, adding that she was brought to the hospital out of an abundance of caution. That she is alert and recovering. She says Gnome is not expected to be in the hospital for law. Hey, the Dodgers beat the Padres a to six last night at Dodger Stadium. We'll try to make it three in a row when the Dodgers take on the Padres at Dodger Stadium again tonight. First pitch goes out at seven o'clock. You can listen to all the Dodger games on AM five to seventy LA Sports and stream all the games on the iHeartRadio app Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports, Asahi super Dry, discover Japan's number one selling beer at your favorite part or grocer. Who will have control of California's National Guard remains up in the air. Governor Newsom Scissors should be him. President Trump, who federalized troops to protect federal buildings and ice agents around La, says he has the authority. The ninth US Circuit Court of Appeals heard arguments in the case yesterday and is expected to make a decision this week. President Trump may be considering an offensive strike against Iraq. The President met with his national security team yesterday and also called for Iran's unconditional surrender. Israel has already dealt a significant blow to Iran's nuclear program, but doesn't have the weapons to take out sites buried in the mountains the US does. You'll be seeing more way mos around LA. I should say you'll be seeing way more way moos around La. The autonomous ride hailing service is expanding starting today into Plya, del Ray, Ladera Heights, Echo Park, Silver Lake and along Sunset Boulevard. Weymos will also be taking writers from mid City to Inglewood and Westchester. It'll now be operating in more than one hundred and twenty square miles of La County.
Speaker 9: Aami's on it, Dami's on it.
Speaker 4: AM's on it, Dami's on it.
Speaker 1: What am I? I'm on the stream because there's always new movies and TV shows and I love a good binge. Actually, this one I didn't even have to binge because it was a movie, so it was just, you know, just like Under two Hours just dropped on Apple TV. It's trending now, right behind Stick, which we're going to talk about another time. But it is a movie again, so it's not a whole show. It stars Julianne Moore. It's called Echo Valley. So she is she owns a farm or a ranch. It's a ranch more than a farm, and she's got horses and she gives riding lessons and stuff. But she's devastated because she recently lost her partner, so she's super depressed. And then she's got this daughter played by Sidney Sweeney, who's a drug addict and is incredibly manipulative. But Sidney Sweeney, you might know from anyone but you and White Lotus. I was like, well, where do I place her? Anyway? So the movie kind of dips a toe into addiction, but it really focuses more on the way the mother reacts to her daughter's addiction and the lengths that she's going to go to to protect her baby girl. And it's kind of heartbreaking from the get go because you see how Kate or Julianne Moore is being manipulated by her daughter, and she tries harder and harder to keep that relationship with her daughter. She falls deeper and deeper into a bad place, and I don't want to tell you anymore, but you just go, boy, Kate, You're making stupid decisions. So it's really interesting to watch. I don't think it got a great Rotten Tomatoes score, but that generally means I'm gonna like it. So it's kind of cringe worthy at times, but there's some really good twists and turns, and I say it's a good ride. Although without telling you anything, the ending feels more like a cliffhanger than the end of a movie. So that was a little bit weird, But I'm on it, and if you find yourself on the couch. I think you should be on it too. It's Echo Valley on Apple TV just dropped to very recently, so it's brand new. Let's get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Morning, Courtney, good morning. Okay. So pharmaceutical ads I hate them, You hate them, and maybe President Trump hates them too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Well, it's a background of our lives. I mean, pharma ads seem to be everywhere. You know, we all know this one, donn It is really some a little pell with a big story.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I even caught my kid humming this one. Oh yeah. So the trumpet industry the favorite songs.
Speaker 10: I love that it exactly, and it's everywhere, all of them.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could go through a list of different ones every single day.
Speaker 10: But the Trump administration is said to be discussing policies that would make it harder and more expensive for pharma companies to advertise directly to patients. Banning pharma ads outright could make the administration vulnerable lawsuits. So they said, we're going to go in a different direction. This is what our sources are telling us. They're focusing on cutting down the number by adding all these legal and financial hurdles.
Speaker 1: By the way, pharma is the third highest spending industry for TV ads.
Speaker 10: I actually thought it'd be number one, but apparently it's a little more down the line.
Speaker 1: And I've heard that the doctors hate it because then people go, hey, I want to try this one, even though it doesn't necessarily fit with their condition.
Speaker 10: Yeah, an RFK junior has said this is the reason why the United States spends as much as it does on drugs compared to other countries. You know, we are the only other country besides New Zealand that allows advertising television advertising for pharmaceutical companies.
Speaker 1: One hundred and eighty countries to allow it. Interesting, Okay, we don't care about high prices when it comes to our morning jolt, oh exactly.
Speaker 10: And this report, by the way, a sponsor by Fidelity Wealth Management, coffee fanatics are drinking the most high end java in fifteen years. More than forty five percent of Americans drank a cup of specialty coffee in the past day. That's according to the National and Coffee Association. That includes lattes, frozen drinks, cold brew, any other beverage made with premium beans. But people are still spending on these fancier drinks, even as a price of coffee hit a record in February. However, I do want to point out that coffee futures are down about twenty percent since that peak. The production forecast has gotten a little bit better out of the top grower, which is Brazil.
Speaker 1: That's improved recently. Okay, And speaking of things looking a little bit better, markets are looking a little better today.
Speaker 10: Yes, a little better than yesterday. See yesterday week economic data. Wait on stocks. We had retail sales that felt for a second straight month in May. Industrial production also declined, but that retail sales number kind of an indication that people are pulling back on their spending in light of tariffs. So the Dow fell two hundred and ninety nine points. Now this morning, all eyes are on the Federal Reserve. The Central Bank's policy decision is out this afternoon. Officials are expected to keep interest rates on hold. To be on the lookout for that. But we do also have a focus on whether the US is planning to get directly involved in the Middle East conflict. Right now, we're seeing just light moves higher. Dow futures are up twenty five points all.
Speaker 1: Right, get in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Thanks Courtney, We'll talk to you tomorrow. Let's see you later, all right. La Counties DA's announced more charges against anti ice protesters. Nathan Hockmins says those charged to include people who attacked police through fireworks at them, spit on them, and set patrol cars on fire. A hospitality union is pushing to expand Elly's upcoming thirty dollars an hour minimum wage for hotel and airport workers to include all industries across the city, and the studio that has been the TV home of shoes shows like All in the Family, Dancing In with the Stars, and The Price Is Right is evolving. The historic Television City Studio Complex has announced a partnership to offer boutique production space to social media influencers and digital creators. Let's say good morning now to Michael gertz Is with the with the Benefit concert Out of the Ashes. Michael, good morning, thanks for joining us this morning.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Michael, this I love this because we we a lot of times we see kind of the worst of the worst and see kids misbehaving, but sometimes kids rise to the occasion, and the at a Gora Hills certainly did. They're showing that they are the best of the best. Tell us about what out of the ashes is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So, you know, this is an idea that really came out of a conversation with a few parents and some band kids from a girl high school who two years ago had formed a jazz band that was going around and playing at local senior centers and nursing homes and really just you know, just really for the love of music and sharing it with the community. After the LA fires, a few of them came to your parents and said, why don't we try and do something to help the music programs for some of these other high schools whose music programs don't exist anymore. They were burned down and they lost instruments, and they don't have a place to practice, and they really don't have, you know, much support. And we thought, wow, this is a fantastic idea.
Speaker 2: I don't know how we're going.
Speaker 4: To pull this off, but let's let's sit down, let's meet, and let's see if we can bring on some partners that can help us make this happen. And you know that was only four months ago, and fortunately we met up with two major partners. One was the Pasadena Educational Foundation, which is at five o' one C. Three that's already exists to be able to fund arts and music programs in the areas affected by the Eaton fire, and they've partnered with us to you know, help collect funds. And then the Sagebrush canteena a local restaurant venue, came along and donated this space so that we could set up a benefit concert there.
Speaker 1: And that benefit concert is tonight.
Speaker 4: And that benefit concert is tonight. There will be over fifty musicians participating, four bands, and the venue holds up to five hundred people. So we're really hoping to generate quite a bit of funds and donations to help support music programs that were affected by the public schools and the Eaton fires.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then all of the money, Michael, that's raised from the admission to the concert tonight or the donation to the concert tonight is going right to the kids and instruments and that kind of thing, right.
Speaker 4: Correct, It is going directly to support the music programs in public high schools in the Pasadena school districts.
Speaker 1: Are you so proud? Of the kids who are coming up with this and saying, hey, we want to help.
Speaker 4: I am completely flabbergasted and really just humbled to be a part of a part of it, and humbled to know these kids.
Speaker 2: They're they're pretty amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, so what can you say to our wake up call listeners that's going to make them get out of their homes on a Wednesday night and come see a show.
Speaker 4: Well, look, it's going to be a beautiful night. There's plenty of seating. It's five hundred five hundred seats, it's outdoors, it's going to be shaded.
Speaker 2: There's four bands.
Speaker 4: You can come down, grab a burrito and a margarita. Obviously drink responsibly, but come down and enjoy a night of music from thirty five pm to nine thirty pm at the Sagebrush Cantina in Calabasas and you'll have a great time and you'll be doing a great thing for the community.
Speaker 1: I love it. Michael Gertz, thank you so much for the time this morning. I hope your event tonight is wildly successful. Again. It's tonight at the Sagebrush Cantina two three five two seven, Calabasas Road in Calabasas. It's called out of the ashes, and it's supporting music programs. It's going to buy instruments for kids who lost them in the fires. Who could ask for anything more than that. That's great, Thank you so much, Michael, appreciate it all right, isn't that great? I love her when kids do good things. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Customers have been slow to return to businesses in downtown LA.
Speaker 2: When the anti ice protests turned violent and when criminals looted stores, businesses here started to close or at least add protective wooden boards to windows and doors, and a few calm nights later, business is not as usual. This man was one of the few eating outside in the fashion district.
Speaker 3: It's sad, you know, because there's still out here, but they still don't make no money off he says.
Speaker 2: Many customers are staying away still, not because of the demonstrations, but because of what inspired them, the federal immigration enforcement efforts in downtown LA. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: A man suspected of driving to a crowd of protesters in Riverside seriously injuring. One of them has been arrested, along with a woman suspected of helping him get rid of the evidence. She allegedly took the car to the High Desert. The driver was in an suv Saturday when he encountered marchers taking part in one of the many No King's rallies. Video shows he floored his suv when the protesters started hitting the car. A young woman who couldn't jump out of the way got run over. Kraft Heine says it's pulling artificial dies from its products.
Speaker 8: The company says starting in twenty twenty seven, it will also no longer roll out new products with the dyes. The move comes nearly two months after US health officials said that they would urge food makers to phase out petroleum based artificial colors in the nation's food supply. The company said in a release that about ten percent of its items in the US use FD and C colors, the synthetic additives that make many foods more visually appealing. Depor Mark KOFFI News brown ketchup.
Speaker 2: You know what if it tastes the same, I'm down exactly, I don't care.
Speaker 1: This is KFI and KOSTHD two, Los Angeles, Orange County, live from the KFI twenty four hour Newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call. If you missed any wake up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.