Speaker 1: Welcome back to our next series of episodes from The Pathwent Chile. I'm Robin and as I mentioned in our last few episodes, Ashley, Yeah, for personal reasons, has had to take some time off, but hopefully she will be back very soon. So for the moment, I will be sharing the details about a case with jewels and she will give off her reaction. So, Jeules, have you ever heard of the murder of Patsy Wright?
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I mean, Patsy Wright sounds like one of those names that I've heard before, but the details aren't coming to me. Maybe I've heard it, maybe I heard it on the Trail and Cold, but either way, it's not ringing any bells right now, so I'm excited for you to tell me about the case.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, this is another case which I did cover on The Trail Went Cold, which was also featured on Unsolved Mysteries. And what's interesting about it is the method of murder because Patsy Wright was a victim of strychnine poisoning, which is very rare these days. This is something that you would often find in old Agatha Christie mysteries and was a common poisoning method during the eighteen hundreds or the early twentieth century, but this case took place in Texas in nineteen eighty seven, and on the Unsolved Mystery segment, Robert Stack even said that at the time of this episode, there was only one other confirmed case of strychnine poisoning by a homicide since nineteen fifty because at that particular point, strychnine was very hard to obtain and sales of it were strictly regulated, so it would be very difficult to obtain strychnine and use it to commit a murder and get away with it. But this is one of the rare cases of it because someone managed to slip strychnine into a Patsy Writes Nike will, which she always took before she went to bed every night, and it wound up killing her. And here we are, nearly forty years later, and we still don't know who did it or what their motive was.
Speaker 2: So this is interesting for multiple different reasons. We've been covering old timey Hollywood mysteries and this one isn't an old timy mystery. I mean, it's from the eighties, so it is somewhat old. But there's elements of yesteryear kind of peppered in when we have the method of murder being that which was common in like the eighteen hundreds with strychnine, and I would think that someone would have to have like a commercial license to be able to procure large amounts of strychnine, that it would be rather controlled and regulated. But refresh my memory. Is strych nine one of the main components in rat poison.
Speaker 1: It is, yes, like it's mostly used as a pesticide to kill birds and rodents, and of course during the eighteen hundreds this was a popular method for serial killers because if you put strych nine into someone's drink or food and then you weren't at the scene when they died, it would be easier to get away with it. And there's a very famous unsolved case involving strick nine. One of the co founders of Stanford University, Jane Stanford, actually died from strychnine poisoning all the way back in nineteen oh five. But of course by nineteen eighty seven this was just very very uncommon because you would either have to have a license to sell it. So it's been speculated because they never figured out where this stryck nine came from. That whoever killed Patsy either stole it from a lab or something or obtained it on the black market.
Speaker 2: That's really interesting. This is a total side thing and like not really all that relevant, but I'm just curious if you know the answer, because it has to do with poisoning. Are you aware of And I don't really know if these claims were ever fully substantiated or corroborated, but the Borgias were rumored to, like Rodrigo and Lucrezia and Cesaret were rumored to have guests over for dinner parties and then poison them and throw their bodies in the Tyber River. Do you think that they would have used something similar to strychnine.
Speaker 1: Possibly. I'm not really familiar with the Borges case, but I do know that there are some documented serial killers who used it back several centuries ago, So it not surprised me if they did that because back then, obviously strychnine was not highly regulated and you could probably just go into a shop and purchase it, so that's why it was used as an effective method to kill people.
Speaker 2: You should do an episode on the trail when cold of the crimes of the Borges. That would be so interesting. There's so much more associated with it, and it would be like obviously impossible to corroborate a lot of the details, but it would be really fascinating.
Speaker 1: How long ago was it? What century do you remember?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna look it up out of my curiosity. Yeah, the Borgia family took place in the oh waitter is it in like the fifteenth and sixteenth century, So that would definitely be a story where the trail went really really cold.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, But there's so much with that family, Like, there's so many layers. It's like Game of Thrones type stuff.
Speaker 1: Interesting. But this one takes place in Arlington, Texas, in nineteen eighty seven, and the victim is forty three year old Patsy Bolton Wright, who is a very successful business woman. She has been divorced twice. She had two children with her first husband, Bill Wright, a son named Wayne and a daughter named Leslie, who are both in their early twenties. And she got married a second time and this marriage did not go well. But I'll talk more about that a bit later. But at this particular point, Patsy has been dating quite a few people. She's involved in a relationship with a man named Larry Todd, but she isn't really in any hurry to get married again. And she's also living in a temporary rental house because she is planning to purchase a ranch because she is really into horses and is hoping to raise and train three horses on her new property. But what's interesting is that Patsy and her sister Sally are both millionaires because they wound up collecting a sizable inheritance from their late father because he was a creator of two very popular wax museums. And this is interesting because this wax museums are going to be a major part of this story, as they were apparently insanely popular in Texas back during the nineteen eighties. So Patsy and her sister have a combined net worth of six million dollars because.
Speaker 2: Of it, and in the eighties six million dollars, So say Patsy's worth three million, that would be more like six million in today's money roughly, So that would be a sizeable amount and enough that it would give her the freedom to be able to date and to be able to choose a partner based on not necessarily She's not necessarily needing to look for somebody who would be a good provider for her children. She would be able to choose somebody based on love alone and hopefully that they would be a good and supportive parent to her children, but being a supportive provider in a monetary sense would take a back seat. So I think that her having this money it can be a bit of a double edged sword. It can be a real benefit because it does give her that freedom, but it might attract the wrong type of individuals. But it also would allow her to do things like be able to get into the horse business that is not an inexpensive business to be in. And I've known many a horse girl in my life, and I have a special spot in my heart for horse girls.
Speaker 1: Yes, it sounds like Patsy was living her best life at this point because she had two marriages which did not end well. So she's just saying, I'm not going to get married again until I find the right guy, and in the meantime try to pursue my passions and interests such as horses. And at this particular point, she was even thinking about opening up Ripley's believe it or not museum in San Antonio, so she wants to expand this whole wax museum bit business. Before she died, Patsy went on a two week camping trip with her daughter, Leslie, and the day she got back, she went horseback riding, met up with a realtor to talk more about purchasing the ranch, and then she attended a Halloween party at one of her museums because they had a big Halloween show scheduled a week later, because this took place on October the twenty second, and they were having a whole dress rehearsal for the show, and as far as anyone can tell, after the show ended at nine pm, she went to a bar with a friend and then went home. But at around three am on October the twenty third, Sally, her sister, was woken up by a phone call from Patsy. Sally was living with her husband, Steve Horning, and Patsy on the phone said that she had just taken some night quill to help her sleep, but she was now feeling very nauseous and having trouble breathing and just suddenly collapsed where it seemed like she was unconscious so Steve and Sally started panicking. And this is an interesting detail because Steve and Sally are going to be look dat has potential suspects. And they would claim that they tried to call nine one one to get an ambulance to Patsy's residence, but they just could not remember the address because this was a rental home where she hadn't been there all that long. So they were just blanking when they tried to tell the ambulance where to go, and then just decided, well, we can't really do much from here, so let's drive over to our house. Because they said, we know the route to the house, we know which turns to make, which streets to go, we just don't know the exact address. And so I wanted to ask if you found that unusual, because I can tell you from experience that I'm someone where I will know where like a close friend or family members live, where I will know the route to drive how to get there. But if you ask me their exact address, I might draw a blank.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't think it's strange at all to remember somebody's exact address. Yeah, I'm the exact same as you. I know how to get there. What turns to take, but knowing the address, Like I'm just trying to think, like I'm going to my parents' house or something. Do I know their actual address? No, but I know exactly where they live, and especially if it's somewhere that I could tell you the street, but like the address that would elude me. So in that moment of panic, if she's been if she hasn't been living there that long, and it's a rental home, I don't find it odd that they don't know. And this would have been before the time that they would have been able to trace the call very accurately and then send an ambulance there. So I can only imagine that feeling of panic, And it's easy to judge if you're somebody who just remembers addresses or files that away in something that's necessary. It's just not in ever filed into my brain is something that I'm going to need to know at a later date.
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what I'm thinking myself, because I've seen online discussions about this case where some people get suspicious of Steve and Sally for this reason, thinking that they were using this as an excuse to go to the house baby commit the poisoning and dispose of evidence before they called the ambulance from Patsy's bedroom. But I can tell you, like I use to visit my grandparents' house all the time. They're like several hours away from me, and I could probably do the route like it's been in my head from driving there so many times that I could do it by heart. But if you ask me the address of where my grandparents used to live, I drawing a complete blank because that's just information I never needed to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it becomes irrelevant if you know how to get there. The address is something that you need to file away as important if you don't know how to get to a location, and like these days we'd put it into you know, ways or Google maps or something like that. But back then you might look at a map and then figure your way to the location. But if you know how to get there, then why would you need to remember the address unless you're sending like a Christmas card or something. And that's really the only time that I'm ever like, oh, what's this person's address? Is when I need to send a Christmas card or a Birthday card.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that totally makes sense to me. So when Steve and Sally arrived. They discovered that the front door for Patsy's residence was locked, so they couldn't get in, but when they went to Patsy's bedroom window, they discovered that she had left it partially open, so they were able to enter through there. So they found Patsy on her bed and it looked like she was unconscious at that point, but she was still alive and they were trying to revive her but cannot wake her up. So while Sally was phoning for the paramedics for help, Steve attempted to perform to mouth resuscitation on Patsy but was surprised when green liquid kept entering his mouth, which he subsequently spit out, and in retrospect, it turned out that was the cough syrup that she had taken right before she went to bed, because I'm guessing she was unable to digest it properly because it had traces of strychnine in it. So the paramedics soon arrived and even though they made an attempt to revive Patsy, they were unsuccessful, and while in the midst of taking her to the hospital, that's when she died. And at first they had no idea what happened here, because obviously strychnine poisoning is not something that's going to immediately come into your head when while a loved one dies of very strange causes. So since she was only forty three years old and she appeared to be in good health, they could not figure out what happened at first because she seemed like a very healthy person and it just seemed to be like an undetermined medical issue. But it was not until over a week later, after Patsy's funeral and memorial service had happened, that they decided to form a routine autopsy where they used a mass spectrometer to check for fifty six thousand different foreign substances in her blood samples, and suddenly the machine gave off a violent reaction, and when the lab technician asked for identification, he discovered that it was strychnine in her bloodstream and this was the cause of her death.
Speaker 2: This just feels like an I get a Christian novel. At this point, you think that there is this undetermined medical cause and that she died and that it's tragic. There doesn't seem to be any major underlying health issues and she's got her whole life out of her, so it's tragic. But then when you layer that on with this last autopsy, whatever made them choose to do this at the very last moment, It makes me wonder who pushed for this and why with somebody acting strangely, was there a reason to believe that it could have been something other than natural causes. I'm not sure, but I would love to know the answer. And then to find out that it's strick nine and everything flips it used to be. It was once looked at as this accidental death and this overwhelming tragedy where two children no longer have their mother and everybody is bereft, but now it's murder and the police have to look at it through a completely different lens. And unfortunately, what could have been looked at as the quote unquote scene of the crime was disturbed and they wouldn't have taken any proper evidence because they just assumed it was a medical emergency. And I can completely understand why. But I guess there's the possibility that whoever had access and who ever spiked that night quill, she might not have taken niquill on a regular basis. They might have just put it in that night quill and bided their time and thought, eventually she's going to use it, and maybe it will have been months since I've been here, so it will be impossible to point the finger at me exactly.
Speaker 1: And that's why they originally thought that whoever killed Patsy was someone who knew her well and had intimate knowledge of her routine, because it was common practice for her to take niightquill before she went to bed because she would sometimes have trouble sleeping. And you're right, they did not secure the scene as a potential homicide at first, because they just thought she may have died of natural causes or some random medical issue. But thankfully, they still had the bottle of niquill inside her bathroom and they decided to check it, and sure enough, they found traces of strychnine in it, and even though a few grams of it are enough to be fatal, there was enough strychnine in the cough syrup to kill eight or nine people. So whoever did it like really wanted to cover their bases and make sure that once she ingested it, she would die. And it's a very cruel way to kill someone. Because strick nine does not work quickly, like once you ingest it, you have breathing problems, you have paralysis, you start coughing. And I know that Steven Sally kind of witnessed it firsthand when Patsy phoned them in the middle of the night and said that she was having trouble breathing, and it sounded like she was really suffering at that time. And she did not actually die until maybe like thirty forty minutes after she ingested it. So they figured that whoever did it not only had a potential motive to want or debt, but wanted to see or suffer first, because you have to obviously go to a lot of trouble in order to obtain strick nine in the first place. But it seemed like someone wanted to ensure that Patsy had the most miserable death possible.
Speaker 2: And I'm wondering if it comes down to did they want her to suffer or is this the easiest method by which to kill Patsy that they could be physically at a great distance away, like poison serves that purpose. And I mean, I don't know how many different substances one would have access to that you could end somebody's life that would be more comfortable than that. I really have no idea, and I don't know if that would have been a factor or if it was just sort of like, I've got access to Strict nine. I don't have to physically be there like you would to strangle or use a gun or to stab. So to be able to give yourself that physical distance gives you some kind of plausible deniability unless somebody knows that you were there and somehow had access to that bottle of niquil.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and makes me wonder if the perpetrator was literally reading old Agatha Christie mysteries and thinking that, ooh, this is a good way to kill someone, because Patsy can ingest it when I'm far away from the scene, and I can potentially get away with it. But of course, by this point it was not so easy to obtain Strict nine, so it was still a big mystery about how they got it in the first place. Of course, they checked the official government records all the sales that had taken place during that time period, but it didn't lead anywhere, so it seemed obvious that whoever did this either stole it from someplace like a lab or somehow was able to obtain it on the black market.
Speaker 2: Just a quick question. So you said that she routinely took night quill at night to help her sleep. Was this Do you know if this was like a once a week thing or if this was a daily thing, almost.
Speaker 1: A daily thing like apparently she did it a lot. So I think whoever did this knew that we're not going to have to wait a couple of weeks or a month, because she, like I mentioned, she was on a camping trip, so they probably figured the first night she gets home, she's going to take this, and sure enough, that's what happened.
Speaker 2: So whommever did this likely had access to her home while she was away on this camping trip and spiked the bottle of Nike will then correct?
Speaker 1: I think so yeah, Because as we're going to talk about, Patsy kept a spare key to her house, which she thought had gone missing. So it's very possible that they entered the locked house while she was away, put the stryct night in the ni quill, then locked the door when they left, and no one was none the wiser. So investigators did look into the possibility of suicide. But of course Patsy was very wealthy and successful. She had a great relationship with her children, seemed to be living a good life, and of course, even if they're having like a great life and seem happy, you can never rule out the idea of suicide. But it just seemed ridiculous an idea in this particular case, because she had set her alarm clock for later that morning, so all the signs indicated that she was planning to get up after she went to bed, and of course she called Sally when she was having breathing problems, so it was a strong indicator that she was wanting to be helped. She wanted to be saved. And of course, poisoning yourself with strychnine is such an odd method of suicide, which means you're going to suffer a long, protracted death before you pass away. So if she wanted to end her own life, she could have just taken sleeping pills or something like that. So, needless to say, thankfully, the police did not push forward the suicide narrative and ruled it out relatively quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, suicide isn't really lining up for me, because it seems like a really odd message choose because it would be extreme me painful, and when most people are choosing the method by which to exit this world, especially women, it wouldn't be typical to choose something like strick nine. That just seems like who would want to invite more pain onto an already painful situation. It seems extremely odd and the alarm set like I could go either way on that, but I'm not seeing anything here to lead me to believe that that was the objective, especially calling Sally and Stephen. If that was your objective, it would be like I made a mistake. I did this, I'm not ready to die, and this is what I took, But we don't see that. So I think if she did indeed intend to end her own life, then she wouldn't have called it all. And if she changed her mind on ending her own life and had ingested it of her own free will, then I think that she would have told them this is what I took in hopes that they could save her.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely, yeah, Like I can't rule out the possibility of her changing her mind and regretting what she did, but I think she would have been transparent and said I ingested strychnine so that steven Sally could tell the paramedics what she took and tried to save her. I mean, the only way a suicide scenario really works is if she wanted to frame someone for murder, because obviously to put strychnine in something that's usually a method used to kill people. But there's nothing to indicate she was trying to do that. So police did check the possibility that she could have been a victim of product tampering, because this was only a couple of years after the Chicago Tile in All murders, which is still unsolved to this day and involved an unidentified perpetrator going into stores and opening up random bottles of Pilo and All and injecting the pills with potassium cyanide. So seven people wound up buying it, ingesting the tile and All and dying, And of course they were selected completely at random, because the perpetrator couldn't have known ahead of time who exactly was going to purchase these and die. But police pretty much ruled out that possibility because after the Tail and All murders, they put a lot of safety measures in place where they would put childproof caps and seal up the bottles when you put them out in stores. So I'm guessing that they checked the passage for this particular cold medicine bottle and determine that it was sealed when that Patsy originally bought it. So they pretty much ruled out the possibility that she was a random victim and figured that whoever did this was intending to kill her and made a calculated effort to break into her house and put the strychnine inside her bottle.
Speaker 2: See, if somebody was going to end their own life and they had access to chemicals, I would think that like potassium sinide would be further up the list than strychnine because that is almost an immediate death, is it not?
Speaker 1: It is, yes, and it's a lot easier to obtain, Like I don't know like what the rules are for like purchasing it, but I'm guessing that potassium cinid back then was a lot more common than strychnine.
Speaker 2: Is potassium sinid the same thing that Russian spies would carry, like in a little pill or whatever that they would take if they were captured back in the day, I.
Speaker 1: Think so, Yeah, Like I don't know if they've been used too much in murders, but I do know that's like a common practice in spy stories, where they keep them under their tongue or in a false tooth, and after they're capture to being tortured, they'll just decide to ingest it to end their own life. So, like I mentioned, Patsy had just gone out camping and on the same day that she got back, she told her sister that she had a spare key to her home but noticed that it had gone missing. The spare key was never found, so theoretically anyone could have stolen it and used it to access her house while she was gone, and if this person locked the door behind them, then no one would have even known that they were there. They checked the house, there were no signs of any forced entry. There's no signs that a burglary had taken place or that anything was stolen, And like I mentioned, the only reason that Steve and Sally were even able to get in there is because Patsy had left the window partially open when she went to bed. But the whole problem with the spare key thing is that even if certain suspects had alibis, that doesn't necessarily clear them because someone could have entered the house at any time during the two week window that Patsy was gone. Just as an example, there's our current boyfriend Larry Todd. He was in Austin three hours away on the night of Patsy's death, and he actually showed some phone records to indicate that he and Patsy made a couple of calls which could establish his whereabouts. And while I don't personally believe that Larry Todd did this, the problem is, even though he seems to have an airtight alibi, it doesn't really clear him since he could have entered the residence any time during the two week window before Patsy got back and put the put the Strycht nine in her niquill.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really difficult because we can't really solidify any timeline because there could be any number of things could have happened, Like we don't know if this is the same bottle of niquill that she would have taken potentially on this camping trip. What if Patsy had taken this bottle of niquill and whomever decided to kill her had to have accessed her home within a very small window of the day that she was killed, assuming that she left this bottle behind and then that's when the person dosed it. But if she's somebody that has an issue with sleep, I would think that she would be taking this night quill with her while she's going camping. So we just don't know the answer to the when this person broke in and drugged the ni quill.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, like, it's never been established that Patsy took this particular bottle of niquill with her on the camping trip, and even if her daughter said that she saw her taking it, how do you know it's the same one from the house. How can you be certain that she didn't just buy another bottle of niquill at a store on her way there. And of course, Leslie, the daughter is not going to be thinking about that stuff on the trip because it just seems like routine, ordinary things. But in retrospect, I'm sure she was wondering, hmm, was that the same ni quill bottle that she had on the trip that was later found in a house with the poison in it. So another detail which caused some complications is that when they went into Patsy's bedroom, they found that she had a dinner tray on there with two plates, and so that made people wonder if Patsy had invited someone over to her house that night for some sort of late night intimate dinner. It was established that after the dress rehearsal at the museum for the Halloween party, she went to a bar with a friend and then headed home at around nine. But could she have picked up someone and invited them into her home and that's when they took the opportunity to put strychnine inside the Nike wall. So the issue was at her current boyfriend at the time, Larry Todd, because he was in Austin three hours away. It couldn't have been him, but it did lead to speculation. Could have Patsy had some sort of secret lover that people didn't know about. Was she having an affair with someone who was invited into her home on that particular night because Larry was out of town and they had an intimate encounter and then he used this opportunity to poison her. And another detail which seemed to point towards that is the fact that the burglar alarm was not set, which she ordinarily did every single night before she went to bed, So the thinking of themselves. Hm, if she had someone else with her who was planning to spend the night, that could have explain why she forgot to set the alarm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these are really great points. And I think that it's possible if her boyfriend was out of town and she called over her called over a man she was potentially having an affair with, and she wouldn't set the burglar alarm. And who knows what the dynamics of this relationship could be, and if there was indeed a relationship at all. But let's just say that things are getting more serious with Larry, and so Patsy is like, we're going to have to end this. This is going to be the last time that I'm going to see you type of a thing, and maybe she'd let that be known. And then he came over and you know, I can't have you. Nobody can type of a thing, and was like, I'm going to poison her. If she doesn't want to be with me, I'll teach her a lesson type of a thing, because I just don't see a random perpetrator at a bar that she'd pick up having strict nine on their person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I'm thinking myself that if it was someone she brought home, it wasn't a complete random stranger. It was someone who wanted to kill her and figured that I'm going to use this at the first opportunity that I'm invited into her home. And I know there's always been debate about the two dinner plates. In online discussions about this case, there are some people who don't think it's unusual, saying, as strange as it sounds, if they have like weird quirks like OCD where they think of themselves, I have to have food on one plate and the rest of the food on another plate just to keep them separate, or maybe they just have like two different sides or something like that. And unfortunately, because this wasn't considered to be homicide at first, I don't think they took the dinner plates into evidence in order to check for fingerprints or anything like that. So it's really hard to tell if these two dinner plates indicate that another person was there, or if it's just a red herring and that maybe Patsy, for whatever reason, wanted to have two separate pieces of food on separate plates and then take them into bed to eat them. On that particular night.
Speaker 2: So we're sure that they're dinner plates and they're not like medium sized tapas plates or side plates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they've been to described as dinner plates, like not one large plate or one small plate. It sounds like it was two plates of the same size that would ordinarily have full meals on them.
Speaker 2: I mean, we would have to know what her plate inventory was, like, did she have lots of side plates, medium plates, small plates? Like I'm not sure. Maybe if the only size you have is like teeny tiny and then large. But you want to have like maybe some fruit and a dessert on one and then your meal of like dinner type foods on the other, maybe meat, vegetables, some kind of carb, whatever, and you don't want them to be on the same plate and touching. I get that. I wouldn't want my steak touching my cheesecake either.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that could be like all it really was. I mean, it doesn't really specify what food was on the plates. And I don't know what kind of habit Patsy had. Was she someone who would come home after nine o'clock and then just decide I want to have a late night dinner and I want to have it in my bedroom while I'm in my pajamas and stuff, just to save me the trouble, and then I'll the dishes in the morning. So you could just interpret this clue in so many different ways. But as we're going to talk about, there were rumors at that time apparently that Patsy might have some sort of secret lover, and if she did, that would have been the perfect time for her to invite him over.
Speaker 2: And the plates were found on the bed.
Speaker 1: I think they were on a tray, like right next to the bed.
Speaker 2: But was it tray on the bed?
Speaker 1: Yes, I think it was because they know that steven Sally said that they had to move the tray off the bed when they arrived in order to give her CPR.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess it's a highly individual thing. People are going to live their lives in different ways, and they're going to deal with dishes that are potentially dirty. I don't know what was on them. If you had something like a cast role or something that was like gooey, then it could create a smell. But if you had something like a sandwich, well that's not going to create a smell, so you might not need to remove the dishes with the same type of haste that you would if it was something that would be gross come morning time. All I can think of is if I had a tray, and if I was going to eat in bed and I had a tray with dishes, I wouldn't go to sleep with those dishes on a tray. Beside me. That just feels odd, Like what if I roll over onto these dishes. It just doesn't feel comfortable and it doesn't feel sanitary.
Speaker 1: It doesn't. Yeah, so who knows what she was thinking. Maybe she was just tired and just didn't want to bother moving the dishes. But I do know that she was found wearing her pajamas. She wasn't naked, And if they had thought this was a homicide from the beginning, they might have done an autopsy to see if she had sex shortly before that. But unfortunately, because they didn't detect the strych nine until a week later, she was already buried in the ground and had had her funerals, so they were never able to determine if she had been intimate with someone before she died.
Speaker 2: And you mentioned that she was at a bar right before, so there's a possibility that she could have had a good buzz on and making the extra effort to do certain things like get up and move dishes. It might seem seem like more laborious when you're buzzed or when you've had a few drinks than if you're completely sober, So that definitely would factor in for me.
Speaker 1: I think so yeah, And if she had already taken the Nike will she's probably like getting woozy and tired anyway, and she just came back from a camping trip, has done a million things, so she might be thinking to herself, I just want to go to sleep and I'll worry about this in the morning. So, of course, investigators started looking into potential suspects in the murderer, and because her two children, Wane and Leslie, stood to inherit a sizable amount of money from her, they were the first people that they looked at. But they were described as being very cooperative and they both passed polygraph tests and we're known for having a great relationship with their mother, so neither of them were considered to be suspects. But interestingly enough, the day after Patsy died, Leslie claimed that she received a phone call from an anonymous woman who kept asking for Patsy, and even though Leslie said she's not available right now because I don't think she was in the mood to tell this strange caller that her mother had died, but the caller was still insistent to talking for so Leslie finally said, I'm sorry to inform you that Patsy has just passed away, and the woman replied, good, I wanted her dead before abruptly hanging up, and the caller was never identified. And what's unique here is that this call took place like at a time period when they just assumed that she died of natural causes. They hadn't yet to determine that her death was a homicide, so it's not like it was all over the news or anything, and very few people knew about it. So in retrospect, Leslie was wondering if maybe this woman was involved in what happened, and that the only reason she made this call and kept pushing to talk to Patsy is because she wanted to confirm that Patsy was dead after taking the poison cold medicine, because obviously it's not going to make the news or anything until it's reclassified as a homicide. So this was her kind of subtle way of trying to figure out if the job was successful.
Speaker 2: Oh, that just throws a whole nother wrench into it. Who knows if Patsy did have a secret lover. Maybe this was the girlfriend of the secret lover, or maybe she had an obsession with Larry, or maybe she was having an affair with Larry. There's so many possibilities that we don't have more information about this woman except for the fact that she wanted Patsy dead and seemed to be pushing on information that she wouldn't have known unless she was close either in doing this herself or being connected to somebody who did it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as we're going to talk about, they would look at a potential suspect later on a couple, a married couple where there were apparently rumors that the husband may have been involved in Patsy and that the woman became jealous. So it could be a thing where even if this particular couple wasn't involved in the murders, maybe the woman had her own reasons for disliking Patsy and then just decided to say this very cruel thing to her daughter, saying I'm glad that she is dead, but I do know that when like cold cases homicide cases took place, sometimes like just cruel people will decide to give prank phone calls to the family just to say mean things to the for their own amusement. But this one, it just seems like it was someone with intimate knowledge of the family because she made this phone call before it was reclassified as a homicide and before it made the news.
Speaker 2: But there also is that possibility, Like as soon as you said it, in what she said, it just struck me as like this is a woman who's a romantic rival in some capacity, and so in pushing to talk to Patsy, it doesn't mean necessarily that she knew she was dead. It could have been that she just found out that her husband or boyfriend was having an affair with her or something to that effect, and really wanted to talk to her to let her know like I see what you're doing and I don't approve of it, or to get angry at her and yell do whatever. But then when she found out Patsy was deceased, it's like, oh good, I wanted her dead anyway type of an energy, And like now she can't screw up my relationships, so it is highly suspicious. But I could see two different potential avenues for why that woman was calling and why she had the energy that she did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's unfortunate that because this was a homicide investigation at first, that Leslie never asked the police to trace this call. And I don't know if they even had the technology, but if they had been able to figure out who made the call to begin with, they might have been able to identify the woman and find out what her motivation was. So they started looking at Patsy's two ex husbands. Her first marriage was to a guy named Bill Wright, who was the father of her two children, and they had divorced back in nineteen eighty. But by all accounts, the divorce was pretty amicable, and Patsy even retained like her ex husband's last name, which is very unusual. After divorce, she was still going by Patsy Bolton Wright. So he was fully cooperative with the investigation and passed a polygraph and was not considered to be a suspect. We'll talk more about her second ex husband later on, but another person who was ruled out was her boyfriend Larry Todd, who was away in Austin three hours away on the night of the murder. And even though I said that this doesn't really clear him because the poisoning of the cough medicine could have taken place days earlier. He had a great relationship with Patsy, did not have any known motive, and they weren't at the position where he was going to inherit anything from her death, so he was also ruled out as a suspect as well. But they started looking into her sister, Sally and her brother in law, Steve Horning, because they now stood to inherit the multimillion dollar Wax Museums that Patsy had control over. Prior to this, Sally and Patsy had entered a buy sell agreement and had on five hundred thousand dollars life insurance policies on each other, which meant that if either of them died, the surviving sister would use the life insurance money to buy out the other share of stock and become the sole owners of the wax museums. Now, Patsy and Sally had always been on good terms, but the problem was that Patsy did not really like Steve Ball that much, who was not known for being financially responsible because only a few years after Sally and Steve got married, Steve had already spent most of Sally's inherent hints that she received from her father and got them both into debt. And a complication arose in nineteen eighty five because Sally was diagnosed with cancer and it turned out that if Sally died, Steve would receive the five hundred thousand dollars life insurance policy and could then wind up owning the controlling share of the stock in the museums if something ever happened to Patsy. So by this particular point, Sally's cancer had gone into remission, but Patsy was still thinking to hisself, I don't want to risk Steve having control of the museums if my sister died, so give it because of his less than great financial history. So both sisters agreed that their bi sell agreement needed to be changed, and they scheduled a meeting for this in early November, which just happened to be two weeks after Patsy's death took place. But of course, because Patsy died, Sally wound up getting full control of the museums. And while police didn't necessarily believe that Sally may have played a role in her death, they started looking at Steve because he stood to collect and he was a who was in debt, who was broke and could definitely have used this money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've got two sisters, one who is very financially solvent and the other one who was attached to this guy who sounds like a bit of an energy vampire in the sense that he's sucking away all of her money. And so if he's in dire straits and he needs a quick fix and he sees on the horizon that this whole by cell agreement is going to be potentially changed within two weeks, he might see a very narrow window for when he can act that will give him control and a financial windfall in the event of Patsy dying. So I can definitely see why Steve was looked at as a suspect, because who would have a better motive than Steve exactly.
Speaker 1: And you add in the fact that they didn't tell the ambulance Patsy's address because they supposedly forgot about it and then just drove there and you're thinking to yourself, did they have alterearr motives? Did maybe Steve want to go Patsy's body in order to dispose a potential evidence or something. But they thoroughly questioned both of them, and they agreed to take polygraphs. Sally passed, and while the results of Steve's first polygraph tests were inconclusive, he did wind up passing the second one, and investigators felt that the big piece of evidence which seemed to point towards Steve's innocence was the fact that he was willing to perform mouth to mouth resuscitation on Patsy and wound up ingesting some of the cost syrup, which he subsequently spit out. But at the same time, if he knows that there's strychnine in this liquid, he obviously would think that there's a chance that he could ingest it himself and wind up dying. So they're thinking to themselves, would Steve have really done this if he was the perpetrator? And they were able to verify that this happened, because when Sally was calling nine to one one, the operator on the line said that she could hear saying you have to blow into her mouth. Which meant that Steve was performing CPR on her. So they're thinking to himself, even though he was kind of an amateur and didn't really know what he was doing, there was still a huge risk of him ingesting the Strick nine. So that's why they were thinking, hmm, maybe he had no knowledge that she had been poisoned, and that means he wasn't involved in her death.
Speaker 2: I could see that going either way, because we have a situation where we have Sally saying to Steve, you've got to blow in her mouth. Well, they could have discussed this beforehand. Basically, we need to make it appear like you're giving her mouth to mouth and that you aren't aware that she's been poisoned, because that will point towards your innocence. So we need to basically make it sound to the nine one one operator that this is what is happening, even though it's not what's happening and I'm doing absolutely nothing. It's not necessarily true that Steve ingested some of his coughs are up and the Strick nine because he said that he did. We don't have any corroborating independent witnesses aside from Sally and I just don't think that the wife of the man who has the best motive to murder Patsy is necessarily the best eyewitness here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've used this term in the past rends of countermeasures, where it's thinking, we're going to put up this scenario to make it look like we couldn't have done this because we're risking our own life, And that could mean that they staged this whole thing where he claimed he was giving her CPR. And I do know that the paramedics said that they did not see a lot of like the green liquid on the bed next to Patsy, but that could also be attributed to the fact that maybe Steve wasn't doing it properly because he's not a trained paramedic and maybe was not giving her CPR as well as he could have. But another thing that seemed to lean towards them is the fact that the Strych nine lace niquill bottle was left on Patsy's bathroom counter for the police to collect. And I'm thinking that if Steve and Sally were involved, they had ample time to dispose of the evidence, and if that niquill bottle had never been found, they may never have figured out how exactly Patsy died. So the fact that they took the trouble to go to the house and left the key piece of evidence lying out in the open could point towards them not being the perpetrators.
Speaker 2: Or it could just be that they didn't think about that element of if it was Steeve who did it, maybe he thought I wore gloves while I did this, so there's no fingerprints on it. It can't be traced back to me. Who knows what thought process somebody could go through. And I would just think that like knowledge of friends and countermeasures at the time, not what they are today as far as like common knowledge goes. So removing that bottle might have just been something that didn't cross his mind, which seems to fly in the face of a strategy that would be to have this whole subterfuge element pretending to do CPR so that you look innocent. But anything as possible. We've seen all things when it comes to criminal cases.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, We've done so many cases where we say, well, if a potential suspect, if they were the perpetrator, why did they just do this obvious action in order to cover things up? And The obvious answer to that is criminals are sometimes stupid and they don't do the obvious things because they haven't thought things through. So that could just be simple and competence here where they just realize, oh, we should have taken the key piece of evidence that got rid of it, but we didn't because we're not professionals and that just didn't cross our minds. So that about brings an end to part one of our series about the murder of Patsy Wright. Join us next week for part two.
Speaker 2: Robin, do you want to tell us a little bit about the Trail Went Cold Patreon?
Speaker 1: Yes, The Trail Cold Patreon has been around for three years now, and we offer these standard bonus features like early ad free episodes, and I also send out stickers and sign thank you cards to anyone who signs up with us on Patreon. If you join our five dollars tier tier two, we also offer monthly bonus episodes in which I talk about cases which are not featured on the Trail Went Cold's original feed, so they're exclusive to Patreon. And if you join our highest tier tier three, the ten dollars tier, one of the features we offer is a audio commentary track over classic episodes of Unsolved Mysteries, where you can download an audio file and then moot up the original Unsolved Mysteries episode on Amazon Prime or YouTube and play it with my audio commentary playing in the background, where I just provide trivia and factoids about the cases featured in this episode. And incidentally, the very first episode that I did a commentary track over was the episode featuring this case. So if you want to download a commentary track in which I make more smart ass remarks about Jewel Kaylor, then be sure to join Tier three.
Speaker 3: So I want to let you know a little bit about the Jeweles and n Ashy Patreons. So there's early ad free episodes of The Path Went Chili. We've got our Pathwent Chili mini's, which are always over an hour, so they're not very mini, but they're just too short to turn into a series, and we're really enjoying doing those.
Speaker 2: So we hope you'll check out those patreons. We'll link them in the show notes.
Speaker 1: So I want to thank you all for listening, and any chance you have to share us on social media with a friend or d rate and review is greatly appreciated. You can email us at the Pathwentchili at gmail dot com. You can reach us on Twitter at the Pathwin. So until next time, be sure to bundle up because cold trails and chili pass call for warm clothing.
Speaker 2: Music by Paul Rich from the podcast Cold Callers Comedy