Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WBS Boston's.
Speaker 2: News radio Nicole. Who is this Taylor Swift person you're talking about. Hi, good evening, everybody. Welcome on any and there for the football game or what are you there for? I don't know. I don't know. I'm not watching a football game, that's for sure. I'm doing the show. My name is Dan Ray, and we are here every Monday through Friday night from eight until midnight. We start off the first hour talking with four guests. They're all newsmakers of some sort. Some of them are breaking newsmakers, others are topics that provide very important information. My most important information tonight, besides telling you my name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nice Side with Dan Ray as we work our way through year number eighteen here in WBZ, Boston's news radio. But Rob Brooks, our producer, is back. We had some nice work last week by Dan and Noah who were in the booth, and Rob is always welcome back, Rob, We always mischief. Dan and Noah did a nice job throughout the week. Allow you the well deserved vacation week. Rob is a big Halloween guy. In case you haven't figured this out and that becomes sort of his holiday week every year. You know it's going to be Halloween. So let us start off with our guests tonight. Later on tonight, we're gonna talk a lot of politics. Obviously, this is election eve, there's no question about that. We'll be talking the first hour about the Massachusetts ballid questions. We may hear from you on one if you're particularly interested in one that you particularly support or oppose. And then a little bit later on we'll get into maybe some predictions. Maybe we'll ask some people to tell us what the magic number will be in which candidate will get to seventy or more. We'll explain all of that. We have lots to talk about, and of course tomorrow night we will have some great programming here during nightside. We're going to be joined by the news team. We're going to be joined by national reporters. I've lined up some special guests, so we got lots going on. But first off, let's welcome doctor Janet Chortz. Doctor Kortz, you are a psychologist who specializes in treating patients in high pressure careers, and you're also founder of the Boston Psychiatry Practice ASIMA welcome to Nightside. First of all, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. I'm doing great at least it's but it's early, it's only Monday. Let's let's look at it like that, right. Tell us about Asimuth Psychological, which I guess is your practice or you're with a group at that at that practice.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, I'm the founder of the practice and it's a group of psychologists and we help people in high pressure careers. So we're pretty familiar with the nuances of a lot of different domains of a lot of high pressure careers. You know, law, finance, consulting, certainly those are heavy ones, but academ you a startups, biotech show hosts, taka well, entertainment is another industry we actually see quite a few people, and so we are able to sort of help people navigate the nuances and stresses of those things. But often that's about a lot of other things. So we're also able to help with us step underneath as well.
Speaker 2: Okay, so the subtopic is here the physical risks of the always overachieving work life and how to avoid them. So there are a lot of people who take their jobs very seriously. I'm sure that you take your job very seriously. How do you know when you have gone over the edge and all of a sudden your job is interfering with the rest of your life. It has to interact with the rest of your life. At what point do you cross that rubicon from acting and interacting with to interfering.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we talk a lot about career enveashment, which is when people's whole identity becomes wrapped up in their career and so they don't really have anything else. And so the way in which we sort of have people self identify that is by three main questions. One is, if you go to a party or you know, meet some friends with friends, or really go anywhere social and people are introducing each other, what do you say about yourself if someone asks about you? Can you come up with anything that's not about your job? So that's a big one that we talk about. Another one is how would you feel if you lost your job today? Because you know, a lot of times people go the way people arrived us is their company is acquired, or they've missed a promotion or something like that, and they no longer have this job that they've so heavily relied on, and so then they sort of fall apart because their whole identity is now in question. That's another one. How do you spend your time when you're not really supposed, you know, when you don't have to be working. Because even people in high pressure careers are over two years as you call them, there's always time in someone's day when one does not have to be working. And so what is happening during that time? Are people choosing to work, do they feel compelled to work, do they like to work? And what's going on in that time? Is there anything else that people are doing to spend their time. So those are kind of the three main ways we sort of enter into that conversation.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, if you talk about, for example, the people that we know about, let's say, the successful football coaches, the Bill Belichicks of the world. They obviously Belichick was known for showing up at work, the first guy there and the last guy out of the room. Dustin Pedroia when he played for the Red Sox, he was always the first guy in the locker room and the last to leave. And a lot of that is the commitment that people have to excellence. So how do you distinguish between someone who has a commitment to excellence an an overachiever who has gone too far? How do you draw that line? I mean, there's a lot of people, as you know, who go to work, they work their eight hours, they go home and that's it. They really turn it off. That's one extreme, or people who have never worked could be in one extreme, and then you have the over achievers on the other. Look, you look at the job of you know that will be contested tomorrow, the President of the United States twenty four seven, the toughest job in the world. Yeah, I mean, don't we as Americans always aspire to doing the best job we can, whether we're an auto mechanic or Taylor Swift for example.
Speaker 3: Well, you're talking about specific roles and jobs that are sort of unique and one off, if you will. You know, there aren't that many professional athletes, there aren't that many football coaches. There's only one president, and so there are certain jobs that require a lot more o.
Speaker 2: The lawyers you taught you mentioned lawyers, Sure, so doctors in that situation that you always cat continuing education and all of that. I'm sure you know of what.
Speaker 3: I speak well, right, So The second part of what I was going to say is that commitment to excellence does not necessarily it does not equal more time. That those two things are not always the same. So just because you want to be excellent at your job does not mean to spend twenty four hours day doing your job. Those things don't necessarily go together, and in fact, oftentimes they do not go together, because most people don't function their best when all they're doing is one thing, especially if that thing is extremely stressful, because aside from psychological impacts that we know about, you know, the physical impacts of chronic stress are well documented as well, and so people literally fall apart from the inside out when they work that hard that often. And so.
Speaker 2: I started, I didn't mean to go ahead, you were completing No.
Speaker 3: No, no, that's okay, go ahead, no. No.
Speaker 2: What I was trying to get at was I think you've provided with us with a lot of good information and something to think about. I'm wondering if there's a website because a lot of people who listen to our interviews here, which in some cases should be longer, and maybe we'll have you back if you'd be willing to do an hour with phone calls. This is an hour which is for interviews, so I don't get the interaction of my audience, which I like to do in some with some topics including this, is there a website you can refer people too where they could kind of follow up on their own tomorrow or a book that you that you'd suggest that people might want to also avail themselves off.
Speaker 3: Well, if you're interested in our website, I picked the world's most difficult name of a company to spell out, but as mepsyche dot com, so it's easy. I m U t hpsych dot com. That's where all of our central hubs. You'll find all of our clinicians, things we've written, all of our media. Also, we have some really great free tools, including a career meshment test, a burnout test, and a values navigator because we do a lot of values based work, so that's a good one. And we have some other things coming out like apps and things coming in the new year. But that's where the most of our central hub of publication is to get to figure out more about what we do and if all of these things might apply to you. There's also some resources there about other places books to read, things like that.
Speaker 2: So, and asthmuth, what what brought you to that term? I'm looking the definition up at angle between a fixed point and the vertical circle that passes through the center of an object. Well, I can see how you get the site. Trust me on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, So we kind of took a little liberty in in the definition. But basically people often use that mathematical calculation for navigating boats way back when before all the GPS and all ourself ones and such, and so basically that's right. So asthmas is basically the difference between where you are and where you want to be. The difference between those two things is an asthma, and so we're just trying to help people get from where they are to wherever it is they want to be.
Speaker 2: That's great, doctor Janet Koritz of Asimuth Psychological A z I m U T H psych P s y cch dot com. Thanks so much. I really enjoyed the conversation and it will make me reconsider how hard I'm marking. Thanks so much, doctor, I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Right, You're welcome, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: November, of course, every month has some causes. In November is Alzheimer's Awareness Month, and we're going to talk with doctor Lakelan Ikeenburger. She's a gerontologist and a here giving expert. Right after the break again, this is the Alzheimer's Awareness Month, and it's something that affects a lot of people and a lot of families. We'll talk with doctor Eikenberger right after this break here on a Monday night edition of Nightside.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray Live from the Window World nights Side Studios on WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: November, amongst other things, is Alzheimer's Awareness Month, and we're going to talk with doctor Lakelan Iickenberger, who's a gerontologist and a caregiving advocate. Doctor Eichenberger, welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 5: By damn well? Thanks? How are you?
Speaker 2: Which is great? How many people in America are directly impacted by Alzheimer's not talking about familiar relations, but how many individuals have Alzheimer's.
Speaker 5: Well, there's nearly six milllion people living with Alzheimer's or another type of dementia here in the US. And you're right, that's not even including family members that are also impacted. Sometimes people say when one person has a diagnosis, the family has a diagnosis because there is a lot that impacts the family as well as the individual. So you know, six million people living with the disease, and then there's about sixteen million caring for those that are living with the disease.
Speaker 2: So we talk about Alzheimer's, I assume that under that phrase or that title is dementia. Correct, you know, it's.
Speaker 5: Actually the reverse. So Alzheimer's is a type of dementia. So dementia is kind of an umbrella term, and then there's different types, but Alzheimer's is the most common form of dementia.
Speaker 2: So if Alzheimer's impacts six million individuals out of a population of three hundred and thirty million people, that's a little less than two percent. How much greater? How bigger is the umbrella dementia? Just so I understand which is bigger?
Speaker 5: You know, that's a really good question. I think as we're learning more about the various types of dementia, we're realizing that, you know, while there's the six million that are diagnosed with Alzheimer's, it likely also includes a lot of the other dementias as well. A lot of people they're living with some sort of cognitive impairment, but maybe aren't getting that official diagnosic, So it is actually kind of hard to pinpoint the exact number, but we are looking in the millions, probably around the six to eight million marks.
Speaker 2: Is Alzheimer's a spectrum disease? And when I say a spectrum disease, I think of something like multiple sclerosis, where you can have people who get on a scale of zero to ten, they get a ten and it's horrific. And yet there are people who are diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and they live a fairly normal life. I'm assuming that with Alzheimer's the diagnosis is always progressive.
Speaker 5: Yes, generally that is the case. So you will see somebody progress through the various stages, and some have more symptoms or dementilated behaviors than others. You know, some might have no still kind of a mild manner about them as they progress to the disease. Others will have a severe change in their personality and perhaps get aggressive or angry. So there are different symptoms that can show up amongst different individuals. But you're right, it is progressive in nature, meaning that over time the person will eventually experience decline. And because there's no cure, the person will eventually pass away from Alzheimer's disease or complications of Alzheimer's disease.
Speaker 2: Is there any way to slow down the Has there been any advances in slowing down the progress of Alzheimer's And.
Speaker 5: That's what's really exciting. I think about this point in time as we're starting to see more treatments for Alzheimer's disease, and most recently we're seeing treatments for the very early stages of Alzheimer's disease, and certain people would qualify.
Speaker 4: So you know, if you've.
Speaker 5: Progressed far enough into the disease and that treatment likely is it right for you? But if you're able to get that diagnosis early on and you're a candidate for that type of treatment, there are some treatments that are showing a slowing in the progression of the disease. So it's really an exciting time now.
Speaker 2: My understanding is that there was a period of time when Alzheimer's disease could not definitively be diagnosed except in a post modem ought because they were looking for evidence of I believe plaque on the brain, if I'm not mistaken. Has that now changed.
Speaker 5: You know, we are seeing more sophisticated methods of diagnosis. So you're right, at one point in time, you know, the most definitive way to diagnosis after someone has passed away to you know, open up the brain and examine it. But now there are various diagnostic tools like pet scams that can help really provide a more clear image of the brain and help identify those plaques entangles, amyloid and how in the brains that are kind of the hallmark symptoms of Alzheimer's disease. So we are seeing more sophisticated diagnosis, and I think what's really exciting is and this is not out yet for public use, but researchers are looking into various blood tests or other biomarkers that could make the diagnostic process, you know, more accessible and just kind of an easier process as opposed to having to travel to where a pet skin is available and that sort of thing. So I think if you if we fast forward five years from now, we'll be having a very different conversation. I think there will be a lot more in the realm of diagnostics for Alzheimer's and other types of dimensions.
Speaker 2: What percentage of the Alzheimer's diagnoses are genetic, and are any of the diagnoses non genetic? And of the ones that are not genetic, can they be avoided by diet exercise? Is that? What can anyone do either who has been told, hey, it runs in your family, or is fearful that, even though it doesn't run in their family, that they may feel what can I do to prevent that? Or is there is there any Is there any magic potion? When I say potion, I better diet, exercise, better sleep patterns?
Speaker 4: An yes.
Speaker 5: So as far as kind of the the risk factors i'll call them of Alzheimer's use, I don't have the exact percentages right in front of me, but we do know the greatest risk factor is age, so as we get older, the risk of developing Alzheimer's for me does increase. We also know that family history can increase your risk, So if it runs in your families, you have a parent or sibling, you could have an increased risk of Alzheimer's or another type of dementia. There's also a gene, the apo lea four gene that could increase the risk of dementia. But for all of those cases that I've just mentioned, it doesn't ever guarantee that you will get it. It just increases your risk. And then there is a gene that's in a very very small percentage of the population that significantly increases your risk, if not guarantees that evil develop it. But again it's a very very very small subset of the population. But the good news is, and you alluded to it, Dan, is lifestyle. There's so much we are learning about how our lifestyle can reduce our risk of developing the mentioned down the road. So even if you do have a family history, even if you do have that equalia for gene, if you start these kind of lifestyle risk reduction habits early on in your life, you can reduce the risk. And it's actually never too late to start these risk reduction habits, things like diet, as you mentioned exercise. Exercise is so good for the brain. Also making sure you're getting enough sleep, that you continue to engage socially and to challenge your brain to learn new things. So those kinds of lifestyle interventions can again help reduce the risk, which I think is good news for us all.
Speaker 2: It's always great to end on a positive and you certainly provided a lot of clear information I just am delighted. We don't rehearse these interviews. You obviously know exactly how to present yourself. You did a great job, Dr Eichenberger. And maybe some night I can have you back and we can do an hour and take phone calls in this hour of the program. We specifically avoid phone calls because the time for the interviews for separate interviews are relatively short. But I might have my producer reach back if possible. Is there anywhere that you'd like to refer people to a website, a book of any sort that people could use as an additional resource to this interview or to just I guess at Alzheimer's website, Alzheimer's Foundation of America, for example.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, Dan, I would be happy to come back anytime. And there are various Alzheimer's related organizations. The Alzheimer's Association ALV dot org is a great one. And then on our home instead dot com website, we also have some informative resources on kind of those risk reduction lifestyle factors, but also all types of dementia related care tips as well. So you can visit home in said dot com to learn about those. When that went, buy me a little home home what dot com home instead? Like, do you want to stay home instead of going anywhere else?
Speaker 2: YEP, okay, H O, M E I N S T A D dot com Dotdikenberg really enjoyed the conversation. Tough subject, but I think you've you've made some people think tonight, which is what we're all about here on Nightside.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much, Thank you, very welcome.
Speaker 2: When we get back, we're going to talk with the CEO of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate. It's located right over by the JFK Library. I'm going to talk with Adam Hines, former state senator here in Massachusetts, who is the CEO of their effort to educate the public about the important role of the Senate and foster participatory democracy, civil discourse, and good government. Of course, this on the eve of the twenty twenty four presidential election. Timing is perfect. We'll talk with former Massachusetts state Senator Adam Hines right after this break at news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray on w b Z, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to welcome Adam Hines. He's the CEO of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate, Former Massachusetts State Senator Adam Welcome to Nightside. How are you, sir.
Speaker 6: Great to be here. The timing is good for talking about elections and all things democracy.
Speaker 2: No doubt, no doubt. One of the themes of this show, and I think you'll identify with that, is that when you and I were in school, and I was in school probably long before you, we actually look learned about the Bill of Rights and the Constitution and the way the government works, and the balance of power and the legislative, the judicial, and the executive and all of that. And I think that a lot of schools have backed off of that. Now. I've been at the Kennedy Institute, as a matter of fact, was able to moderate a program there a few years ago, and tell us about the role that this institute, which is right next door to the JF. Kennedy Library out of Columbia Point, plans to play. It's a beautiful facility, by the way, and the room that is it was the epitome of the United States Senate. You felt you were on the floor of the US Senate. It's a magnificent room. Tell us about it all.
Speaker 6: That's right. It's an exact replica, one to one scale of the United States Senate. There's only one other one in the world that exists, and that is the center of a lot of our programming. And every year we work with twenty thousandstudents. They become a Senator for a day, and it's powerful and important. To your point. One of the first bills that I voted on was the Massachusetts Civics Reform and Requirement. But Massachusetts is in the minority. Civics education is being cut across the country, and so we shouldn't be surprised when we see some of the polls that have come out that show, you know, less than one third of millennials think that it is essential to live in a democracy. I mean, it's just amazing. And it's one poll after another show that either our understanding amongst our youth or their commitment to democracy is being undermined. And so that's that's a big piece of the Institute. Really. In the last couple of years, we've we've stood up a range of new programs focusing on democracy. We've we've locked elbows with the Institute of three former Republican senators being McCain, Dole, and Hatch to really dig into ways that we can make sure that the United States Senate is functioning. We're working with former senators and current senators and making sure that we're modeling deliberation and so that our governing institutions function well. And that's just as critical protecting democracy as anything else. If folks don't see that the government is representing them and standing up for them, then their faith and democracy starts to be tested as well. So an incredible set of programs that we have running right now, and it feels as timely has ever given the state of our democracy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, one of the numbers you quoted, how many high school students get an opportunity to visit your institute every year? What's the number right now?
Speaker 6: Sixteen thousand come through the doors, and then we do about then we work with about six thousand more across the country virtually. I'll give you an example. Just last week, we had about thousand students from across the country talking with each other in eight different states, or from eight different states talking with each other about the pros and cons of the electoral college. And and so that's a new since COVID, a new way we're engaging and making sure that we were getting into just about every state in the country and teaching them and working with them on their their understanding of our democracy.
Speaker 2: So the students that come through the doors, because when you come through the doors and again you experience the Senate, it's it's just an amazing experience. Are they all from Massachusetts or from across New England? What's what's the sort of geographical reach And obviously with zoom and all of that, you can reach everywhere around the world, but what is the geographical reach of people student programs that come in through the doors.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's a large concentration in Massachusetts and New England. But boyle boy, I'm surprised because we the given year, we can probably have twenty one different states represented in the students coming into the institute itself, and so the you know, there's a real commitment amongst teachers and schools across the country and we get to work with them one on one, which is just gram Now.
Speaker 2: I think most people in Massachusetts and certainly well New England, but certainly Massachusetts have at some point visited the Kennedy Library. I actually it was the Channel four's host the day that the Kennedy Library was formerly open, when President Jimmy Carter came and spoke back in fifteen seventy seventy nine, which was a very memorable memory of that occasion. Well, that was the time when Ted Kennedy was about to announce his challenge of Carter. It was very it was a historic moment, obviously in a very significant moment, but it is people. People can visit the Kennedy Library as individuals and his families can that be done at the Kennedy institut t as well the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the Senate as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's great to hear you talk about opening day. We're at our ten year anniversary is coming up to twenty twenty five, and so keep on the lookout. We'll be giving you updates on the major events that we'll be taking on throughout the year.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So our bread and butter right now is the students that come through and we do a number of public programs and right now anyone can come in by appointment, and we're about to restore a broader set of hours during the week, during business hours for a walk in. So we have a pretty lively museum. You know, we mentioned the Senate Chamber, but there's also the Senator's office, and the vision has been how do you make sure that people know how the Senate functions even though we're working across the government on people's awareness specific education, and so the museum aspects have this interactive advanced technology to allow you to interact with how the Senate functions as well.
Speaker 2: I'm going to throw an idea, right, I'm sure you probably have thought of this and you have dismissed it. What are the chances do you think of actually having a US Senate session fly the US the United States Center up and have them spend I'm serious, I know I love that. Have you thought I'm sure if someone has, I'm not the first who suggested that. Obviously, logistically it would be very difficult.
Speaker 3: I assume it is.
Speaker 6: Well, here's an exciting thing that we did this summer. We had two senators debating each other. Chuck Todd moderated between Bill kaz the Republican of Louisiana, and Sheldon white House, Democratic Rhode Island, and they were on c SPAN debating from the chamber and so that it had a feel of being the actual Senate session, and we do that regularly. I should say that that's one of our programs we do with the Hatch Foundation and our news partners, typically Fox News. It's also been CBS and c SPAN to model deliberation and debate for the nation. And we haven't talked about having the full Senate session in there, but we have talked about, you know, maybe hearings and other high profile events that could benefit from the location like that.
Speaker 2: What were Cassidy and white House debating, I hope with something more exciting than the name of a post office. The subject was in dispute, if you recall.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was basically the climate and energy China. We allow the senators to choose one topic each and the moderator to choose a topic. And you know, last September we had Marco Rubio and Chris Coons debating on CBS and they similarly went the direction of having a foreign policy topic and a domestic policy topic. And I'll say this, when they get in person and talk, they often say thank you for doing this because right now division is impacting the Senate to such a dramatic degree that we can't even you know, have this debate in the arena of the Senate itself. We can't bring bills to the floor effectively and even filing amendments. Now, the division in our country is starting to impact the functioning of our Senate. And that's what we're working on with the McCain Institute and making sure that you know our group of we have a group of former senators who are really working with us to see what we can do to make for changes in the Senate so that it's working well. And so we have a pretty robust and growing setup. Programs focus on democracy. I should say this. The third one is because tomorrow's election day. With the Bob Dole Institute out in Kansas, we're about to announce next week, I guess I'm announcing it now, a report that's on the horizon around how do we bolster the funding of our elections infrastructure because right now tomorrow, eight thousand jurisdiction elections jurisdictions across the country are largely going to be run by volunteer years, largely going to be run in small towns by clerks and others who take on four or five different jobs, and it's a lot of work, and we don't invest in our basic foundations of our democracy, and that's a problem. So we're doing a lot of work in that regard as well.
Speaker 2: All right, well, Adam, I appreciate it very much. Adam Hines, who is the CEO of the Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the US Senate. If you get a chance, folks, it's a wonderful trip to go to both the Kennedy Library and the Kennedy Institute for the US Senate. Adam, thanks very much, appreciate your time tonight.
Speaker 6: Thanks love, Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. We'll come back and talk about November being National Family Caregiver Month. Yes, different subjects can be the focus in particular months. Early we talked about Alzheimer's who were in this month. This is similar National Family Caregiver Month. Going to talk with Bob Coughlin. He is the co host of a podcast called In Sickness Men in the Culture of Caregiving. Back on Night's Side right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World Nightsides CEOs on WBZ.
Speaker 2: The news radio November is, amongst other things, National Family Caregiver Month, an event that is recognized with an official proclamation by the White House with us as Bob Coughlin, he is the co host of a podcast entitled In Sickness Men in the Culture of Caregiving. Bob Coughlin, Welcome to Night's Side. You are a caregiver. You've also been very much involved in the Massachusetts political scene and also you the CEO of the Massachusetts Biotechnology Organization, but you have had the caregiving experience. Tell us about your experience as a caregiver and why it is so important for men also to understand that they have a role in the culture of caregiving.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and thanks for having me Dan. And you know, I was involved in government here in Massachusetts and the CEO of mass and a lot of people didn't realize the reason I got into that line of work and was an advocate in the House and an advocate at mass Bio for Patients is because twenty two years ago my wife and I found out we were going to have a child with cystic fibrosis. And you know, immediately both her and I were thrust into that role of caregivers and it's such an important thing and there's a lot of areas that needed to be addressed, and that's how we got into the idea of having this podcast. It was actually Paul Kidwell, someone who I met while at mass Bio. He was in the communications team over at Millennium Pharmaceuticals and his wife is battling chronic illness and he was a caregiver and we would talk about it quite a bit, and just as of lady said, wouldn't it be great to create a platform and a place for men who are caregivers to you know, get feedback and be part of the discussion and learn from some successes and some mistakes. And it's been quite successful. It's been very therapeutic and enjoyable.
Speaker 2: How long have you been involved in the podcast.
Speaker 4: We've had the podcast. Yeah, they've been doing it for about a year now, and you know, it's been real interesting and it's you know, it says in sickness men in the culture of caregiving. And this isn't about men versus women or anything like that. I mean, women have predominantly been known as caregivers, but there's so many times when you know, spouses, a wife will get sick or a mom or dad will get sick, or a child is sick, and you know, we just thought that would be really interesting to bring in men caregivers and women caregivers and talk about how we can learn from them. So when they're doing about a year, we've had some real interesting guests on the show, and we've focused on cancer and Alzheimer's and you know, as of late, we've been talking a lot about caregiver burnout, you know, and what is it that you can do to avoid burning out when you're trying to work, provide for a family and care for a loved one.
Speaker 2: I think all of us are familiar with the name cystic fibrosis. Your son has made tremendous progress, has recently graduated from college and is now out in the workplace on his own. So yours is a story of great sacrifice but also great success.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's amazing. It's really come full circle, Dan and the advances and your earlier guests, when doctor Eichenberger was talking about Alzheimer's. In hopefully five years from now, it's going to be a totally different story. Well, the transformation that we've seen in the care for cystic fibrosis. With local biotech companies like Vertex and local heroes like Joe O'Donnell who has raised so much money for research for cystic fibrosis, we've been able to transform this disease. And my son Bobby took his first dose of a DOUG, a drug cult tri Capita that took eighteen years to invent. It took his first dose it would be five years November eight and since that day, he's grown, you know, twelve inches, gained about fifty pounds, his lung function's gone back to what it was when he was just four years old, and he's graduated from college and now he's actually working as a patient advocate and membership professional at mass Bio here in Massachusetts. So it's just truly we're filled with gratitude and and yeah, it is a great ending. A lot of the times these stories don't have a good ending like that, but that's something you know that my wife and I and our family's very grateful for.
Speaker 2: Well, we all know the success of the Joey Fund, and with Joe and Kathy O'Donnell, yes, I went through as well as their son Joey. And as you said, the millions of dollars that Joe O'Donnell raised, unfortunately lost. Joe was such a great many here and you know from Boston, you know great you know, Harvard football and baseball player, tremendous business success, and yet they were they were caregivers.
Speaker 6: Just that's right.
Speaker 2: There has to be for all the families out there to understand the sacrifice. But also, I guess the satisfaction of knowing that they're standing by their child or they're standing by their spouse. Talk about the satisfaction number one, and then let's talk about what needs to be done going forward.
Speaker 4: If you can, well, you know, in my whole life, there's nothing more rewarding than being able to provide and be there for my child. I think that's what any parent would do. And you know, when you talk with other folks who are taking care of a parent or a spouse or a child, you know, to have that group of folks that you can share the successes and more importantly, dan share some of the failures. And you know, when we talk about some of the challenges that caregivers face, when you think of the mental stress, the physical exhaustion, the isolation, that loneliness, never mind the financial burden and trying to balance your job and when you feel like nobody else in the world understands what you're going through. There are so many people out there that do understand, because in some shape or form, we all become a caregiver at some point. Right, it's inevitable that that's never.
Speaker 2: I'm running out of time. We should have okay, more time, but let me ask you give us the podcast and how can folks find it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, the podcast is called In Sickness Men in the Culture of Caregiving. It's available on all podcast platforms, including iHeartRadio. You can visit our websites insickness dot org for any other information. And it's it's really everybody should listen. It's it's really a good program to listen to for anyone who's going to be in the caregiving mode.
Speaker 2: Bobble, congratulations to you a family, you and your family, and congratulations to your son on his perseverance and success.
Speaker 4: Really enjoy Thanks so much, Dan, thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for everything you've done. Bob Coughlin, the podcast host of In Sickness Men and the Culture of Caregiving. When we get back, we're going to talk about the story of the night in that selection eve, A lot going on in the next twenty four forty eight seventy two hours. We'll see. We will start our special election coverage right after the nine o'clock news are on night Side