Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: Iliontology, biology, chronology, techno, cosmetology, chorology, algylogy, seriology.
Speaker 1: So exciting.
Speaker 2: I'm sweating, and every single day something happens that makes it more.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome to episode zero of Ologies with Ali Ward. I'm Ali Ward, and my deal is I'm a CBS Science correspondent for Wow, I already screwed this up, you guys, why do an episode zero? This is like a placeholder to be like, Hey, this is what the thing's gonna be about, and this is who I am, so you can get a taste of it and then subscribe that way, when the very first first episode drops, it's in your device and your ears. So I'm Ali Ward. I'm a CBS Science correspondent. I'm also co host of a podcast called slumber Party. And I've been obsessed with ologies more than a decade. And I remember, like over ten years ago, I was on the Internet and I came across this list of ologies, and you know, when you see something that's so exciting, you're like, you feel like you're going to throw up a little bit. That happened to me. I got so excited to read all of these weird ologies that I never knew existed, Like nidology is the study of birds nests, and calology is the study of beauty. Laterinology is the study of writing on toilet walls. I mean there's nasology, study of text, imy, mico, toxicology, toxic fungus. There's so many different ologies, which means there's so many different ologists. And it's like, who are these people who study clouds and clowns and bees. I'm like, what is their deal? So has fard to Now podcasts are a great way to corner someone and ask them two personal questions about their life and they'll have to answer it because there's a microphone there. So that's what I'm doing with this podcast. I'm meeting all of these really really awesome ologists, some of them obscure, some of them less obscure, primatologists. My first job was dressing up like a lobster outside of the New England Aquarium, and we always say around the Chimp building of like chimps wind every day, the chimps wind. Gemologists legitimately brack crystals I think are a thing for women. Rock crystals, crystal. Is it not kosher to touch someone's crystal? Because I always feel like you're not supposed.
Speaker 1: Touch their crisis.
Speaker 2: That's a great question. Paleontologist, largest land animals of all time? Oh my god, well, you're right. Actually did cut up a canaver this morning, So it's like a Frankensare. It's like a frankenstor. Okay, volcanologists and volcanoes breathe, So oh that's creepy. Yeah, you have to keep that joy. And that's that's what I think is so important these days for scientists. You know, there's a very real possibility that we could die torologists, you're gonna have to wait for that one to come out to find out what that is. And getting to know them as people and getting to know what they do on a day to day basis and with their best days in the job have been their worst days, why they do what they do, and really getting to know the people behind the science, because I feel like so many quotes you hear from scientists are like really official sounding pr statements in the middle of a big article about a topic, and I just wanted to sit down with the people and say, why are you doing this? What is it like, why do you love it? What don't we know? Where have you peed in public for your work? Have you ever really fucked up? What did that feel like? What's been the best day? What do your parents think of your job? All of this stuff. So that is what ologies is. So we'll have a different ologist on every episode. I hope you enjoy The first one is a pretty hot topic. It's about volcanoes, so I hope you like it. Thank you you subscribe, you'll be on your way to listening to the first one. I hope you guys enjoy it.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 2: I'm nervous recording this.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's morologies, pacadermistology, homeology, cryptozoology, gelatology and entomology, neurology, meteorology, old partology, methology, seriology. I am