Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: An event of the White House right now, President Trump is reversing the emission standards that were set by the state of California and is now speaking to a room full of people about all kinds of different forms of alternative energy. So we'll cover a little bit of that when he wraps up and we get into swamp Watch later on.
Speaker 1: When I first heard news of this plane crash from India to Britain to London, I thought, my mind immediately went to air traffic control? Is it air traffic control related? And then I saw the footage after I read that it was on takeoff and here is this Dreamliner never had a catastrophic crash or a crash at all, as I remember a Dreamliner coming out in twenty eleven for Boeing. It's taking off and then it descends and then the ballifier.
Speaker 2: This is an Air India jet caring about two hundred and forty two people, is what they've said. No survivors likely, there was a.
Speaker 3: British There is one survivor. You haven't heard this yet, well, I saw a headline.
Speaker 2: I saw a picture that they think that there was one guy who was able to walk away.
Speaker 1: We've interviewed him. So this is a British father seated in eleven A. Yeah, he walked away from the Air India disaster. Again to forty four on board. As the new estimate, they say he's forty years old. He did an interview from his hospital bed hours after this. The flane was headed to Gatwick and there is footage of him visible injuries, hobbling away from the scene of the crash. He sustained injuries to his chest, his eyes, his feet. Police found the passenger in eleven A jet comes down transferred him to a high hospital. He told local media this. Thirty seconds after takeoff, there was a loud noise and then the plane crashed. It all happened so quickly. When I got up, there were bodies all around me. I was scared. I stood up and ran. There are pieces of the plane all around me. Someone grabbed a hold of me, put me in an ambulance and brought me to the hospital. This guy, one survivor of two forty four, lives in London with his wife and child. He was traveling home from seeing family in India when the plane crashed.
Speaker 2: Uh, At this point, all we have is that video that you mentioned where you can see the plane never really gaining altitude. Ken Christensen is a crash investigator and said, obviously it's going to take some time to figure out exactly what happened, but based on what he saw from that video.
Speaker 4: Something that I saw on one of the videos I was concerning was that the gear were down, but the flaps were not deployed. So when you take off, do you need flaps or additional lift and the plane will lift off the ground, but then shortly after that it will settle in if the flaps aren't configured. That because of a very modern airplane, the airplane would be talking to you and giving you warnings that your flaps were not configured. So I would have really imagined that a crew wouldn't depart with the flaps not configured.
Speaker 3: But maybe shortly after takeoff the.
Speaker 4: Flaps retracted, or the crews retracted to flaps prematurely, or there was a mechanical error. But it looks like whether the plane lot was losing power and or the flaps weren't deployed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, aviation experts have said so far that this Bowing seven eighty seven Dreamliner may have suddenly lost power at the most critical phase of the flight after takeoff. And one of my questions, as somebody who knows nothing about aviation, is when you think about a catastrophic crash like this, wiping out the whole plane and everybody on board save one, you think about it falling from thirty thousand feet. This looks to be at the at the level of elevation where I'm not too worried if I'm on a plane that I think if something goes wrong on takeoff, well you just kind of glide Down's that's what I have in my head when I'm thinking about the parts of the flight that terrify me the most because I have no control over the massive tin tube flying in the sky.
Speaker 2: The only problem, obviously is they don't They're not lined up with a runway or anything. They're not, you know, right crashed into what I believe has been described as a medical college campus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there was a number of I believe the death toll that I read most recently was two ninety so two forty four on board, which leaves a number of casualties there. So I'm looking at the configuration of the Dreamliner eleven A. So you have in the Dreamliner, you've got obviously the cockpit working from forward to back. Then you've got the bathrooms, and you've got the area where the flight attendants get the coffee or what have you read galley, and then you've you've got the first class seats there you've got three rows, so this is a two two two configuration, So two seats in the window, two seats in the center column, and two seats on the other side of the window. So two two two, and you've got three rows of that for first class or business class, what have you, whatever it is. And then it's a as you move into the back of the plane after first class, there's another area where you've got the galley for the flight gendants and then the rest of the plane, and that's a three three three configuration from rows eleven on down. He was the window seat of the first row of what would be economy, so right after first class and then the galley, he's in that window seat on the left side of the plane.
Speaker 3: Eleven A. If you're curious, if that turns out to be real. That's incredible. What do you mean of what turns out to me?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean just that it seems unbelievable that a person, that one person would be able to survive that crash. And I'm not just survive it, but able to walk away from walk away, run away from the crash site.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's really incredible. It's you can't explain it, can you.
Speaker 2: Well, if if the Indian government or any sort of transport ministry or anything has more information, we will bring it to you. The vast majority of the people on board the plane where Indian nationals. There were at least fifty British nationals, a Canadian, a handful of Portuguese nationals as well.
Speaker 1: One of the local aviation experts there in India looked at the footage that's been circulating and he says that it looked like a case of a multiple bird hit wherein both the engines lost power. He said, the takeoff was perfect, and I just believe short of taking the gear up, the aircraft started descending, which can happen only in the case of the engine loses power the aircraft stops developing lift. This was only eleven year old plane, so unlikely to have underlying technical.
Speaker 2: Issues, and like you said at the beginning, the first time a seven eighty seven, the first time a Dreamliner has ever been involved in an incident like this, Right, all right, we come back to yet another day of protests, several arrests last night, of course, after curfew in downtown LA. We'll talk about these ice enforcement operations that are taking place throughout La County.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The President just is currently signing this bill that would basically kill the EV mandate here in the state of California, who says passed by the Senate, had to go through that process, but he is signing that, and he says he's going to restore the auto and truck industry in the United States back to its glory.
Speaker 3: Big deal today, and.
Speaker 2: We'll explain a lot more, kind of a deep dive at ten o'clock about the court case that's going to be taking place between California and the administration over the President's deployment of troops in LA. After the demonstrators again took to the streets last night, not just here but in other cities as well. Seven hundred marines are expected to be on the streets of LA either by today or tomorrow. They haven't gotten specific to support the National Guard troops that are already here protecting federal property and federal agents. There is a hearing going on in Congress today. This was planned long before the events of the last week or so. Republicans on the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee are asking questions of governors of declared sanctuary states. Governors Tim Walls of Minnesota, Kathy Hochel of New York, and JB. Pritzker of Illinois over their staff that is as sanctuary states for people. I mentioned the protests in other cities. Eight NYPD vehicles attacked in an arson attack very early this morning. I think eight of those vehicles, six of them marked to unmarked, but nobody was hurt.
Speaker 1: Dreamlinerer, a Boeing seven eighty seven, which is used all the time in this country, has crashed for the first time since it rolled out in twenty eleven. Air India passenger plane bound for London. More than two hundred and forty people on board, crashed into a medical college. People on the grounds to say that there are still bodies in the debris. This is, of course, one of India's worst airline disasters in decades, and miraculously, at least one person reportedly survived the crash. Speaking from his hospital bed, this guy, forty years old, married father of at least one saying that he was in seat eleven a, that he heard a loud bang thirty second in when he came to just bodies everywhere, and he took off running, obviously still in shock. Someone grabbed him, put in an ambulance and he is at the hospital there. But again, the death toll will rise with the number of people in that medical college still uncertain the medical college that the plane crashed into. It looks like a lost power on takeoff for whatever reason. So we'll stay on top of all the information coming out of that story.
Speaker 2: Well, the immigration enforcement actions continue in Los Angeles and around southern California over the.
Speaker 3: Last couple of days.
Speaker 1: So I asked yesterday if you know of any specific instances of somebody being rounded up by ice, and I'm talking about somebody who's not a criminal illegal alien the way that was described in the original warrant in the garment district in Los Angeles, a business that had been looking for mass money looking it looked at, i should say, for racketeering, trafficking, money laundering. A vast criminal enterprise is what the.
Speaker 3: Inception of this was. Really.
Speaker 1: That's how it all started on Friday, was this raid at this business in downtown LA in the garment district where federal law enforcement did have credible evidence that this was a business where there was a rampant criminal enterprise operating out of There have been reports that have spread fears and rumors on all the apps that alert people to ices whereabouts, and that was detailed in La Times article that was printed this morning. And the fears and the rumor mill is terrifying. And I understand that, and I know it's very easy for me to say, but it's just rumors and fears at this point. But that's exactly what the La Times laid out. There was no in that entire article. There was one instance of a fourth grader in Torrance whose parents were arrested for criminal activity, or at least father was arrested for criminal activity, and that kid was taken out of class because that's what you do when a child's parent is arrested and there's no other parental person on the forums to come get you right, And.
Speaker 2: That's the responsibility of a reporter who's putting a story like that together, especially when it comes to the point of the article is rumors can spread a lot faster than the truth can. And then tell that story, which is just that a fourth grader was transferred to an immigration facility in Texas. Federal officials have since deported the nine year old and his father to Honduras. Okay, But what they don't explain, and the question I would have is if this nine year old exists in the United States and is a citizen of the United I'm assuming, just assuming some of the details here, the nine year old is a citizen because they were born here. My postulate the father then has the option of allowing the kid to stay in the United States with family members. That's the way that the policies have been laid out before. There were stories a couple of weeks ago similar to this, a kid of the same age was deported to Honduras or whatever it was. And when you drill down on some of the details and the actual policies that are followed, it's because mom was the one who had several warrants for her arrest here in the United States outside of the fact that she was here illegally and chose to take her kid with her when she's deported back to Honduras. Now, I'm not saying that's great. I'm not saying that's good or a good policy or anything. I'm just saying we have to be able to have those full throated, completely truthful discussions about what's actually happening before we can even begin to try to tear down the rumor mill that exists out there.
Speaker 1: I like to believe that we deal in facts on this show. Sure, I like to believe that when COVID happened, we dealt in facts. There are fears, obviously around all of these stories, and I understand why they exist. And I understand that I have no understanding of not being brought up the way that I was brought up, and I don't have relatives who came to this country for a better life for me.
Speaker 3: I don't have any of that.
Speaker 1: But I also understand that these fears are being used by politicians on both sides. The fear works for the Democrats because the more people that are in fear, the more people join their cause to kill the Republicans in Washington. You know what I mean When I say kill, I don't really mean kill.
Speaker 3: It works.
Speaker 1: The fear works for the Republicans in Washington that want all the illegal immigrants out of this country. Make them nervous. That way more will stay where they are in their countries of origin. It works for both political parties. And I just want everyone to just think about that for a minute. Why do they want you in fear? Whatever side? Why do they want you in fear.
Speaker 3: It's to it's to you. You're moresing forward their political cause.
Speaker 2: You're more easily manipulated when you're afraid that to the other side.
Speaker 1: Yes, and for all the people who freaking send us death threats and hate us for whatever we say about whatever's going on, when we're trying to stick to just facts, give us the facts and we'll give you them right back.
Speaker 3: Does it feel good? Does it feel.
Speaker 1: Good to hate insert party or insert president or insert people here?
Speaker 3: Does that feel good?
Speaker 1: I don't think it feels good at the end of the day, So feel good to hate all the people who are here illegally, Probably not feel good to hate Trump.
Speaker 3: Just just feeling that.
Speaker 1: In your in your heart or your body probably doesn't feel good. So why are we doing that? Why are we so committed to that. I don't like that. If I have a problem with somebody, I like to go through it and deal with it in my head and make sense of it and just squash it, because it doesn't feel good walking around being pissed off all the time.
Speaker 3: Just bile. It's just built up of bile.
Speaker 2: Now, one of the unintended consequences, at least I hope it's unintended, is that those businesses throughout downtown La I mean that core that's now under curfew from eight pm to six am, those businesses are getting kicked in the teeth by these protesters.
Speaker 3: We'll explain when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Rameshould be Swash Kamar is a name that you are going to hear more about because this is the loan survivor of that crash that has killed everyone on board that Boeing seven eight seven dreamliner headed from India to London.
Speaker 3: Ramesh V Swash Kamar was seated.
Speaker 1: In eleven A A doctor who has examined him from the hospital said that Ramesh was disoriented with multiple injuries all over his body, but he seems to be out of danger.
Speaker 3: What have you seen the image of his plane ticket?
Speaker 2: No, I assume it was on his body at the time, but it's got his name on it. It's got the seat eleven A, the date, time of departure, all of that stuff, and then a stamp from the immigration the immigration office there.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 1: I mean, imagine going through all of that once. I don't want to say any sort of thing that could be construed as insensitive, but settling once everything is settled, you know, weeks, months, years from now, knowing that you're the lone survivor or something like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, there are books written about stuff like this. Sure because it does.
Speaker 3: Sure because there was a streaming TV show about it, except it was a child kid.
Speaker 1: Yes that's right. Wait what was that show? Evan Evan Dear Yeah, yeah, yeah right. I mean, just the weight immediately on your shoulders for that kind of survival is incredible. I read that he had a brother on board that I haven't seen anywhere else confirmed that adds to it as well. But just the idea that everyone two and forty people at least on this plane. And you survived the crash and you're walking away from it.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, And we get more information about rumsh this swash Kumar, swash Kamar, bring it to you. We've been telling you obviously. The curfew still in effect. Mayor Bass has said that the curfew for downtown La will remain in effect. Yesterday, she said it will remain in effect until there are no arrests overnight for people who choose to break curfew. There is a problem though. The downtown core is about one point four percent of our geographic area for the city, but it is twenty one percent of the jobs in La City are downtown, twenty nine percent of wages. This is all according to the DTLA Alliance, the coalition and property owners down there. And if you think of the smaller businesses that exist outside of the Apple Store and stuff like that, maybe the flower shop that's owned by Johnny Wong, who has since nineteen ninety his Vietnamese American family has owned that flower shop.
Speaker 3: His sales are down eighty percent.
Speaker 2: There are restaurants that have to close at eight o'clock when eight o'clock would have been prime time any other day for them to be making money to try to keep their doors open.
Speaker 3: What about the.
Speaker 2: Music and performance venues that exist in that downtown curfew area that have had to shutter shows because of the protests and then the rioters that come in afterwards. There is a very wrong immigrant community of business owners in downtown LA that are now being crushed because of the ongoing protests. In all of this Swedish immigrant immigrant A guy named Michael Backlinder says the windows of his coffee shop had to be boarded up by members of the Carpenters Union as part of a free service to some of the downtown businesses. Think of I just want to I want to rephrase that, because this is something that I think if you're not in downtown you kind of forget. There are people who will come to your business and for free board up your windows for you because they know that this is going to get out of hand and the chances are that your business is going to either be looted and or destroyed by some of these people that come in. Blair Beston, is executive director of the Historic Core Business Improvement District, said, a bunch of these protests and the violence have occurred in the area, that the FI graffiti or a cab or whatever, all this graffiti isn't being cleaned up quickly enough off of the historic buildings, and that they could be somewhat permanent and become long lasting ice sores. For all of this, she also said that the people who came in and looted the Apple store, for example, were very well organized.
Speaker 3: They had radios, they had.
Speaker 2: A U haul the craps, and they said that it all happened within five minutes. So the idea that these are that you're only hurting, for example, the even if you're your goal is to hurt law enforcement, you're doing a whole lot more than that.
Speaker 3: You're heard in the community. You're hurting the community, and you're immigrant.
Speaker 1: Community, and like we talked with Michael Monks, you're hurting the future community. When you know Nike and Apple that that didn't want to come to LA but did and set up shop there, and now we'll you have big companies come and make things nice downtown LA. Well, you've got a big reason of why not. You've got a big reason of why they'll go somewhere else like Carmel. Yeah, money or Monterey, somewhere like that, just really anywhere.
Speaker 2: While all this domestic issue continues to bubble up. There is a very serious threat of Israel bombing Iran sometime in the next couple.
Speaker 1: Of stop threatening us with such good times.
Speaker 3: We'll talk about that when we come back.
Speaker 5: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: We will get into it coming up after the news at the top of the hour. But Defense Secretary Pete haig Seth has refused to say whether he would follow the courts if they ruled Trump's deployment of marines to La was, I don't know against its rule. He repeatedly deflected when asked today at a hearing whether he would respect a federal district or even Supreme Court decision on the issue. So we will get into all the legal wranglings that could happen, especially if that happens, coming up at ten o'clock.
Speaker 2: The President just wrapped up a deal at the White House today where he was talking about the EV mandate. He has signed a bill that basically destroys California's EV mandate, And he was also asked about the plane crash in Ammadabad, India. At least two hundred and forty people killed in this Air India flight that crashed just after takeoff. Apparently the dead include medical students in a college hostel where the plane hit that building. A doctor to a local hospital said there is a loan survivor that somebody onboard that plane survived the crash and was literally able to run away from it. Don't know what caused the crash of this Boeing seven eighty seven Dreamliner, but it is the first time a seven eighty seven has ever been involved in an incident like this.
Speaker 1: You heard in Amy's News. There's been some weird fighting going on at the Harvey Weinstein sex crimes the retrial. Today a judge there in New York declared a mistrial on this remaining rape charge because the jury four person was a no show.
Speaker 3: The drama.
Speaker 1: We can do that, yeah, exactly my question. The drama went down Thursday. The four person said hell no to returning to the jury room after claiming the other jurors threatened him over what we don't know yet, which was my question, what is there to fight about it? The Harvey Weinstring Weinstein's sex crimes trial, the guy's an awful excuse for a human What are you fighting? Over All, twelve jurors did convict Weinstein yesterday a first degree criminal sexual act for the two thousand and six case of an ex production assistant who accused this guy forcibly performing oral sex on her and is a home in Manhattan. But today things just went to hell there and the judge had to disclare declare a mistrial on that remaining charge that they were deadlocked on.
Speaker 2: Well, internationally, there's something going on between the United States, Israel, Iran and our personnel in the Middle East. Israel, according to The New York Times and several other outlets, appears to be launching preparing to launch an attack on Iran very soon. A concern about this and the prospect of retaliation led the United States to withdraw a bunch of diplomats from places throughout the Middle East, specifically Iraq. They authorized the voluntary departure of US military family members from other areas around the Middle East.
Speaker 3: This was not a punishment.
Speaker 2: We're not We're not punishing Iraq or other you know, countries in the Middle East by pulling our diplomats out. We're protecting our diplomats. This is not a you know, we're not upset with them. I'm not angry with you. I just recognize you. And in this case, they have allowed, like I said, the voluntary departure of military family members out of the Middle East. The question we have now is what exactly is Israel planning and when would it take place? Because there are talks that are supposed to happen between the US and Iran this weekend.
Speaker 1: Trump says that the military action against Iran could be in the next couple of days. At the White House today, he said it could happen very well soon.
Speaker 6: Well, I don't want to say eminent, but it looks like it's something that could very well happen. Look, it's very simple, not complicated. Iran cannot have a nuclear weapon. Other than that, I want them to be successful. I want them to be trum will help them be successful. We'll trade with them, We'll do whatever is necessary.
Speaker 2: He used his example of the conflict between India and Pakistan as a way to move forward, and he said that he used the threat of withholding trade from India and Pakistan as a way for those two countries to kind of pull back from the brink after a conflict, yet another conflict between those two nuclear armed countries.
Speaker 3: So I don't know what his expectation is.
Speaker 2: It sounds like it's more carrot than stick in terms of trying to convince Iran to come to the table, give up their ambitions for a nuclear weapon, and basically open themselves up to trading, specifically their oil on the open market, which would bring in a metric butt ton of money into that country.
Speaker 1: We'll stay on top of all the news coming out of Washington and remember big parade event set for Saturday to celebrate the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of the US Army, also falling on the President's seventy ninth birthday. Some headlines swirling around that event. There was a Craigslist ad. Craigslist is still a thing, Huh?
Speaker 3: It is?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's where I get my ke ketamine from. But I didn't know that people use it for anything other.
Speaker 1: Than that, right, Well, you get your ketamine from so many different places, so it's all hard to raze.
Speaker 3: That is true.
Speaker 1: That's kind of a it's an outlier, really, but Craigs and then Michael Monks brought up eBay the other day. But I do know somebody who buys clothes off eBay. But anyway, I thought all of this had gone by the wayside.
Speaker 3: But here we are.
Speaker 1: Craigslist ad asking for seat fillers for the military parade in Washington is being called a fake. The ad was put out asking for bodies to fill up the stands for space maximization and attendance perception that they would receive crypto money for showing up and filling a seat.
Speaker 2: I mentioned the big three networks, ABC, NBC, and CBS aren't planning on covering it live over their major networks, my ass. But they are gonna they are doing on their streaming services. They're doing walled wall coverage of the thing because it's there.
Speaker 3: They have you have, you can't not pay attention to that. They're just not going to do.
Speaker 2: They're not going to cut into whatever programming they have on Saturday afternoon.
Speaker 3: What is it? Golf is a golf, It might be golf is basketball. I mean they're playing these all pull great ratings. Yeah, but how can you not. I'm not saying they're not going to send it, I know, but.
Speaker 1: Like that alone is kind of like the media f and you to Trump like, well, we're not going to go to your birthday party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so juvenile. I totally agree. I want to. I want to see part of it. I listen. I'm curious ethically.
Speaker 2: I think it's the wrong way for us to celebrate our military.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: It just brings up too many images of other countries that do it the wrong way. We don't have to put our d on the table to show how powerful we are.
Speaker 3: Our d is speaks for itself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, we need to stop recording the Weekend Podcast before the show because it is no holes barred, and and then we start this show and Ask gets into the show, and d'z get into the show, and it's not good for anybody because this is a family show. Now, the Weekend Podcast, if you want to check it out, not for the family.
Speaker 3: Less family ish right, Yeah, how do you do that? How do you find that? Wherever you find it? I've never tried to find it because it's too dirty. Just type in Gary and Shannon. There is a little E says it's explicit. Type in Gary and Shannon.
Speaker 2: Wherever you have your podcast and this podcast, our face will show up. You can subscribe to it, you can share it, you can rate it, you can comment on it.
Speaker 1: So our podcast is like all the albums we weren't allowed to buy that our parents knew about.
Speaker 3: Is that right? Something like that? Okay, all right? When we come back.
Speaker 2: There is a huge court case being heard up in San Francisco today, Gavin Newsom v. Donald Trump, and Newsom has brought his teenage daughter into the fight. Not a good sign, not a good look. It's a better way to put it. That's not a good look for it.
Speaker 3: Anytime you use your children for politics, awful.
Speaker 2: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.