Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: I want you to start by picturing something for me. You step outside on a clear, crisp, moonless night, Oh.
Speaker 3: The best kind of night for stargazing.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You look up and you see that familiar breath taking expanse. You know, the sparkling, distinct points of light, the deep ink black voids between them, maybe.
Speaker 3: Even the faint, sort of misty smudge of our own milky way stretching across the horizon if you're lucky.
Speaker 2: Right, Exactly, it's crisp, it's defined. You were looking through this incredibly transparent window of our universe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you can see things that are literally million of light years away, simply because the space between you and that object is empty.
Speaker 2: It's empty. But now I want you to take that image, that fundamental human experience of stargazing and just completely erase it. E RaSE the whole sky, the whole thing. Yeah, I want you to replace that pristine, starry canvas with something entirely different. Imagine looking up and instead of stars, you see nothing but a thick, impenetrable, murky gray fog.
Speaker 3: Wow, just fog everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no points of light, no definition at all, just this oppressive cosmic soup blocking your view in every single direction.
Speaker 3: That is. I mean, that's a really unsettling image.
Speaker 2: It really is. And the crazy thing is, for roughly the first billion years of its existence, that is exactly what our universe looked like. It was completely hidden behind this veil.
Speaker 3: It defies every intuition we have about the cosmos, honestly, because when we think of space, we inherently think of empty space.
Speaker 2: Right, just a big empty vacuum, exactly.
Speaker 3: We think of a perfect vacuum that light can just travel through uninterrupted for billions of years. But that fundamental transparency, it's actually a feature that had to be.
Speaker 2: Earned, earned. What do you mean by earned, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Had to be forged. The early universe was not an empty vacuum at all. It was choked with this primordial fog that fundamentally trapped energetic light.
Speaker 2: So we are going to take you back today, roughly twelve billion years in time, to witness this pivotal, almost unbelievable moment in cosmic.
Speaker 3: History, really specific moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are going back to watch this tiny, hyperactive, absolute underdog of a galaxy managed to punch a physical hole right through that universal darkness.
Speaker 3: It's quite the story.
Speaker 2: Our goal today is to understand how astronomers have managed to capture the precise mechanics of this ancient event, an event that literally changed the fabric of the universe.
Speaker 3: The sheer scale of the mystery we are talking about here is just staggering because understanding this moment and this specific galaxy. It isn't just about cataloging incredibly distant ancient star system for the sake of making a list.
Speaker 2: Right, It's not just stamp collecting exactly.
Speaker 3: We are talking about solving a decade's old mystery in astrophysics. We're talking about answering the fundamental question of how the universe transitioned from that dark, opaque expanse into the transparent, light filled cosmos we have today.
Speaker 2: The cosmos that allows us to even exist and look up at the sky exactly.
Speaker 3: It's literally the story of how the lights were permanently turned on.
Speaker 2: Okay, so to really grasp the magnitude of this, we need to completely understand the environment we are dealing with. Here. We are talking about a specific era.
Speaker 3: Astronomers call it the era of reionization.
Speaker 2: Right, the era of realization. So let's establish the timeline for everyone. The Big Bang happens. The universe is unbelievably hot.
Speaker 3: And dense, and as it expands, it starts to cool down.
Speaker 2: And for roughly the first billion years after that initial spark, the space between the newly forming stars and galaxies wasn't empty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not at all.
Speaker 2: Was completely filled with neutral hydrogen gas, and this gas acted as a literal physical barrier, like an opaque wall to energetic ultraviolet light.
Speaker 3: And the physics of why this specific gas acts as a wall is actually really critical.
Speaker 2: Here, walk us through that. Why hydrogen, Well.
Speaker 3: When the universe was born, it was essentially this giant expanding furnace. It was a plasma where protons and electrons were just violently zipping around because it was so hot, way too energetic to bond together. Yeah, but as the universe expanded, the temperature naturally dropped, makes sense, and about three hundred and eighty thousand years after the Big Bang, it cooled just enough for those protons and electrons to finally grab onto each other, and that's.
Speaker 2: When they form the very first atoms.
Speaker 3: Exactly specifically, they formed neutral hydrogen, which is just one proton and one electron locked together in this little atomic dance.
Speaker 2: Now on the surface, that seems like a good thing, right, like a step toward order. The universe is organized itself into atoms.
Speaker 3: It was a huge step for matter, but for light it was a disaster, right.
Speaker 2: Because in terms of light, this new order created a massive problem. I always think of this era like a frosted glass window in a bathroom.
Speaker 3: Oh, that's a good way to look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you can stand on the outside of that window, and you know there's a bright light source on the inside. You know, someone turned a light bulb.
Speaker 3: On, but you can't see the ball itself exactly.
Speaker 2: The material of that frosted glass scatters every single photon that hits it. You can't see the shape of the ball, you can't see the room. Everything is just scattered into this hazy, indistinguishable glow.
Speaker 3: That's exactly it. That neutral hydrogen was the frosted glass of the universe, and it was specifically tuned to block the high energy ultraviolet light being produced by the very first.
Speaker 2: Stars, tuned to block it. How does that work?
Speaker 3: Your frosted glass analogy works perfectly. When you look at the quantum mechanics of a hydrogen atom, you see neutral hydrogen atoms are essentially perfect tuned traps for energetic ultraviolet.
Speaker 2: Photons, like they're designed to catch them.
Speaker 3: Pretty much. In a neutral atom, the electron is sitting at its lowest energy state. So when an energetic ultraviolet photon from a newly born star comes along and hits that neutral hydrogen.
Speaker 2: Atom, the atom just absorbs it.
Speaker 3: Yep, the atom's electron absorbs that energy and physically jumps away from the proton into a higher orbit. The light doesn't pass through at all, it's just consumed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Its energy is used to excite or even break the atom apart. So any young hot star trying to shine its brilliant UV light out into the cosmos would just find its light immediately swallowed by the surrounding hydrogen fog.
Speaker 2: Okay, this is where I want to push back a little bit, because I think if you were listening to this, a very logical counter argument might be forming in your head.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's hear it.
Speaker 2: Well, we know the universe was expanding, right, It has been expanding since the moment of the Big Bang, and the actual fabric of space is still stretching today.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: So if this fog is just made of gas and the literal space it occupies is stretching out and getting bigger, shouldn't that neutral hydrogen fog have just naturally stretched out, thinned out, and dissipated on its.
Speaker 3: Own over time, like a cloud of smoke blowing away.
Speaker 2: Exactly why campfire smoke dispersing in the wind? Why do astronomers believe something had to actively violently clear it.
Speaker 3: That is a really great question. In connecting it to cosmic expansion makes complete sense, but it actually highlights the slight misunderstanding of what expansion does to matter at this specific scale.
Speaker 2: Okay, correct me, what am I missing?
Speaker 3: Yes, the universe was expanding, which means the average distance between galaxies was increasing, So the overall density of the gas in the universe was very slowly decreasing.
Speaker 2: Right, It's spreading out.
Speaker 3: But and this is the key, physical expansion alone does not change the chemical or electrical state of the gas itself.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, So just spreading the atoms further apart doesn't stop them from being a trap for the light exactly.
Speaker 3: Let's follow that logic. Even if the hydrogen atoms are slightly further apart from one another due to the stretching of space, they are still fundamentally neutral hydrogen.
Speaker 2: They still have that electron waiting to catch a photon bingo.
Speaker 3: They still possess that perfectly positioned electron. So if a photon travels through space, eventually it will hit one of these atoms, no matter how spread out they.
Speaker 2: Are, because there's just so much space to cross.
Speaker 3: Right, to make the universe truly transparent, to give us the clear night sky, you couldn't just thin the fog out. You had to fundamentally alter the nature of the fog itself.
Speaker 2: You had to change the gas.
Speaker 3: Yes, you had to change it from a neutral state back into an ionized.
Speaker 2: Plasma, Which means we need to define ionization for everyone, because to ionize a gas, you essentially have to break the atom.
Speaker 3: Right, It is a totally destructive process. Yeah, ionization is the act of literally ripping the electron away from the proton.
Speaker 2: Entirely, so you're not just exciting the electron, you're kicking it out exactly.
Speaker 3: Have to hit that neutral hydrogen atom with an overwhelming amount of energetic ultraviolet light, so much energy that the electron is violently and permanently stripped away.
Speaker 2: And once that happens.
Speaker 3: When that happens, the gas becomes ionized, and ionized hydrogen, missing its electron, no longer has the mechanism to absorb that same ultraviolet.
Speaker 2: Light because the trap is gone.
Speaker 3: The trap is gone, the photon can finally pass right through the empty space of the atom unimpeded. To use your analogy, the frosted glass suddenly becomes a pane of clear glass.
Speaker 2: That is wild. So to clear the cosmic fog, the universe literally had to be blasted with radiation on an unimaginable scale.
Speaker 3: It really did. And this change over this era of realization, it was not a quick.
Speaker 2: Transition, wasn't just slipping a switch, not at all.
Speaker 3: It was an incredibly grueling, violent process. It was a cosmic war of attrition that took hundreds of millions of years to complete.
Speaker 2: Hundreds of millions of years of just bombarding.
Speaker 3: Gas photon by photon. The earliest stars were fighting back against the fog doug stripping electrons away and gradually carving out these tiny bubbles of transparent space.
Speaker 2: And I guess those bubbles eventually grew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, over hundreds of millions of years, those clear bubbles expanded, they overlapped, and finally merged together to clear the entire cosmos.
Speaker 2: It is just staggering to think about. I mean, the deep, transparent vacuum of space we see today is actually the aftermath of a billion year long radiation bombardment.
Speaker 3: It's the debris field of a very long war.
Speaker 2: But if the cosmic fog didn't just passively dissipate, if it had to be violently burned away from the inside out, that means something incredibly powerful had to be doing.
Speaker 3: The burning, something very bright and very energetic.
Speaker 2: Right. But for a long time, the exact mechanism, the specific culprits that managed to pull this off, they were completely shrouded in that very same fog.
Speaker 3: It's a cruel irony. The fog hid the things that were clearing the fog exactly.
Speaker 2: Astronomers couldn't see them doing it. We knew the fog cleared eventually, but we didn't have the smoking gun, which brings us to this recently discovered, highly unlikely little galaxy that has completely changed the game.
Speaker 3: This is where the narrative really shifts. Yeah, we move from the theoretical mechanics of the early universe to a specific, astonishing hard data observation.
Speaker 2: So let's meet the cosmic underdog. It has a very catchy, memorable catalog name MXDF four point four.
Speaker 3: Rolls right off the tongue, doesn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'm sure someone will write a song about it. But this little galaxy existed roughly one point four billion years after the Big.
Speaker 3: Bang, and that timing is crucial.
Speaker 2: Right, because that places it right at the very tail end of this transformative era of realization. It's essentially sitting right at the finish line of this cosmic transition.
Speaker 3: Its placement in time is exactly what makes it so incredibly significant, because at one point four billion years the universe was still very much a mixed bag.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by a mixed bag?
Speaker 3: Well, the realization process was finishing up, sure, but there were still massive intercalective clouds of opaque gas everywhere, a deeply transitional.
Speaker 2: Period, so totally clear yet right.
Speaker 3: Which makes it the perfect laboratory to see this clearing process actively happening, assuming you could find a way to peer through the remaining haze to actually see the source.
Speaker 2: Which we'll get to. But when I first started looking at the profile of this galaxy MXTSC four point four, I really struggle to wrap my head around its physical scale.
Speaker 4: It's unintuitive, for sure, Yeah, because when we talk about galaxies that have the power to change the universe, we tend to picture these massive, sprawling, majestic spirals like our own Milky.
Speaker 3: Way giant pin wheels of stars exactly.
Speaker 2: But to really grasp what this ancient galaxy is doing, you have to realize how bizarre its proportions are. I actually like to compare it to a coffee machine.
Speaker 3: Okay, you're gonna have to elaborate on that. How does a twelve billion year old galaxy resemble a coffee machine?
Speaker 2: Bear with me. Think of our Milky Way galaxy as a massive, slow drip commercial coffee maker and giant diner. Okay, it is huge, It takes up a lot of space. It steadily reliably produces coffee all day long at a very measured, manageable pace. That's our galaxy right now for me, just a few new stars every single year.
Speaker 3: It's calm, it's spread out, right.
Speaker 2: But MXDFC four point four is like taking the motor of a high powered industrial espresso machine, putting it in a tiny, cramped, sealed cardboard box and running it on absolute maximum overdrive until it starts shaking itself apart.
Speaker 5: That is a very chaotic mental image, but it fits because this newly discovered galaxy is one hundred times smaller by area than our milky Way, one hundred times smaller.
Speaker 3: A tiny fraction of the size, and yet.
Speaker 2: In that microscopic, cramped space, it is churning out new stars ten times faster than we are.
Speaker 3: And taking your analogy further, it's not just an industrial espresso machine in a cardboard box. The box is filled with the raw material. It's full of the dense gas and dust required to make those stars.
Speaker 2: Right, it's completely stuff.
Speaker 3: The visual of that is incredibly chaotic, and it perfectly aligns with the physics. What you are describing is a phenomenon that the lead researcher on this discovery ilias Gubertz refers to as the crowding effect.
Speaker 2: The crowding effect.
Speaker 3: Yes, this is the fundamental secret weapon of MXDFC four point four. It isn't just that it's producing stars rapidly. It is the specific aggressive nature of those stars and the extreme proximity in which they are forced to exist.
Speaker 2: They are completely crammed together.
Speaker 3: Crammed is almost an understatement. The galaxy is forcing the creation of massive, young, incredibly hot stars into a minuscule cosmic footprint.
Speaker 2: So they're basically sitting on top of each other exactly.
Speaker 3: And furthermore, these stars aren't forming in a steady, even drip like your diner coffee maker. They form in violent, sudden.
Speaker 2: Bursts, like all at once.
Speaker 3: The data shows that a massive percentage of these highly energetic stars formed within just the last few million years of the galaxy's existence. At that point in time, it's not a slow burn at all. It is an absolute explosion of stellar birth.
Speaker 2: Wow. So you have this microscopic galaxy by cosmic standards, just packed shoulder to shoulder with the hottest, most aggressive type of stars possible, all igniting at it essentially the exact same time and.
Speaker 3: Because they are so young and incredibly massive, they are burning at surface temperatures that make our sun look like a dying ember.
Speaker 2: Just unimaginably hot.
Speaker 3: They are producing an overwhelming, blinding flood of that specific high energy ionizing ultraviolet light we talked.
Speaker 2: About earlier, the light that clears the fog.
Speaker 3: Yes, they are manufacturing the exact type of light needed to strip the electrons from the neutral hydrogen and clear the universe.
Speaker 2: Okay, but this is where my brand hits a massive roadblock. And honestly, if you're listening to this and following the logic here, I think you might be stuck in the exact same place.
Speaker 3: Let's hear the roadblock.
Speaker 2: We have this cluster of ridiculously bright hot stars in a very confined space that is a great power source. But simply having a power source isn't enough to permanently alter the fabric of the surrounding universe. True, how exactly does their light manage to break out of the galaxy itself? Because think about it. A galaxy that is forming stars that rapidly is by definition full of the raw material needed to make stars.
Speaker 3: It has to be. You can't make stars without gas.
Speaker 2: Right, It is full of dense gas and thick cosmic dust. It is choked with it.
Speaker 3: That is the pivotal question. And you've just articulated the exact paradox that has stumped astrophysicists for years when looking at these early galaxies.
Speaker 2: Because if I am standing in the middle of a thick, choking cloud of campfire smoke and I turn on a tremendously powerful military grade flashlight.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter how strong the.
Speaker 2: Light is, exactly most of that light just hits the smoke immediately in front of me and scatters. It creates a bright, blinding wall of white right in my face.
Speaker 3: You basically blind yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it physically cannot clear the air across the campsite. The smoke absorbs and deflexs it. So how on Earth does literally almost all of this ionizing light from MXDFIVEVACA four point four escape the galaxy without just getting instantly absorbed by the galaxy's own internal gas and dust.
Speaker 3: The light shouldn't be able to leave the building.
Speaker 2: It's essentially right, it should be trapped inside well.
Speaker 3: Resolving that paradox brings us to what might be the most dramatic and awe inspiring mechanism in all of astrophysics. This is the mechanics of the Great escape.
Speaker 2: The great escape.
Speaker 3: I love that your intuition is entirely correct. The light on its own, no matter how bright, would just be swallowed by the immediate dusty environment of the galaxy, So.
Speaker 2: The flesh light doesn't work on its own exactly.
Speaker 3: To get the light out, you have to physically clear a path. You have to move the smoke out of the way.
Speaker 2: And how does a galaxy move.
Speaker 3: The smoke the way MXDFZ four point four moves the smoke is through utter catastrophe.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about the catastrophe. Yeah, what is physically happening to the gas inside that little box?
Speaker 3: We have to look closely at the life cycles of these specific types of massive stars in the universe. There is a brutal, unbreakable rule. The brightest, most massive stars burn out the.
Speaker 2: Fastest because they're using up their fuel so quickly.
Speaker 3: Exactly, a relatively calm star like our sun will live for about ten billion years, slowly and steadily fusing hydrogen in its core. It's very stable.
Speaker 2: Slow and steady wins the race, right.
Speaker 3: But the massive super hot stars being churned out in these violent bursts within mxdf z four point four. They are so massive and their internal gravity is crushing their cores so intensely that they burn through their nuclear fuel at an astonishing reckless rate.
Speaker 2: How fast are we talking?
Speaker 3: They live for only a few million years in cosmic terms, That is the blink of an eye.
Speaker 2: They are the rock stars of the universe. They live fast and they die extremely young.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect way to put it. And their deaths are the key to the entire mystery.
Speaker 2: What happens when they die?
Speaker 3: Well, when a star that massive inevitably runs out of fuel, the outward pressure generated by nuclear fusion suddenly stalks, and with out that outward pressure, the immense gravity of the star causes the entire core to collapse in on itself in a fraction of a second.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, just instant collapse.
Speaker 3: This incredibly violent collapse triggers a massive rebound, a shock wave of unimaginable power. They detonate a.
Speaker 2: Supernovas the ultimate cosmic explosion.
Speaker 3: Truly, the sheer physics of a supernova are hard to fathom. The kinetic energy and radiation released in a single supernova explosion is more than our sun will produce in its entire ten billion year lifetime, all unleashed in a matter of days.
Speaker 2: That is, I can't even picture that level of energy.
Speaker 3: Now, recall the crowding effect we discussed earlier. You don't just have one single star doing this. You have a massive, crammed cluster of these giant.
Speaker 2: Stars, right because they all formed in that sudden burst exactly.
Speaker 3: They were all born at roughly the same time during that starburs phase, which means they are going to die at roughly the same time.
Speaker 2: Oh my god. So it's just a chain reaction of detonations inside a confined space.
Speaker 3: It is a relentless, catast strophic bombardment from the inside. These supernovas are releasing gigantic amounts of kinetic energy and extreme radiation pressure.
Speaker 2: And that pressure pushes the gas.
Speaker 3: It doesn't just push it. They are literally physically blowing colossal holes through the opaque gas and dust of their own galaxy. They are sweeping the raw material away, carving out massive empty cavity.
Speaker 2: Like blasting tunnels through a mountain.
Speaker 3: Exactly like that. They're essentially building structural chimneys that lead from the dense, dusty core of the star cluster straight out into the intergalactic medium.
Speaker 2: So let me make sure I have this sequence right. The first generation of these massive stars in the burst, they live their short lives, they explode, and they act as a heavy demolition crew spot on. They physically blow away the internal fog of the galaxy, creating these clear, empty physical pathways. And then the light from the surviving young stars or maybe the very next immediate wave of stars that form. Yes, that light can just shoot straight out through those excavated chimneys, entirely unobstructed by dust or gas.
Speaker 3: That is the exact mechanism. It's brilliant in its violence. Researchers looking at the data for MXDFC four point four estimate that an astonishing fifty percent to one hundred percent of the young star's energetic ionizing light is successfully escaping the surrounding gas of the galaxy.
Speaker 2: I want to pause on that number, yeah, because when you say fifty to one hundred percent, my IMDIA thought is Okay, that's a lot. Yeah, but I don't really have a baseline for what is normal.
Speaker 3: The baseline is what makes that number truly shocking. What's the baseline in a normal, present day spiral galaxy like our Milky Way. The escape fraction for this kind of high energy ionizing light is typically around one percent, maybe even.
Speaker 2: Less one percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, almost all of the high energy light produced in our galaxy gets absorbed locally by our own gas and dust.
Speaker 2: So to have potentially one hundred percent of that light breaking free from MXCFC four point four, it.
Speaker 3: Means the internal structure of that galaxy has been completely shredded and hollowed out by the supernova.
Speaker 2: Winds, totally excavated.
Speaker 3: Think about how violent an environment has to be to have literally zero internal resistance to light. It is a perfect violent storm of intense radiation paired with explosive physical clearing.
Speaker 2: It is the definitive escape vehicle for the light that changed the universe. Absolutely, the very act of these massive stars dying is what allows the light to escape and clear the cosmic fog for the rest of the universe. There's almost a poetic beauty to that kind of destruction.
Speaker 3: Life from death essentially, or at least light from death.
Speaker 2: Right But taking a step back, this also raises a massive logistical problem for the people actually trying to study it.
Speaker 3: Oh, Definitely, the observation side is a whole other mountain to climb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because if you're listening to this and keeping track of the timeline, Astronomers for years assumed that observing this breakout, observing a galaxy actively pouring this much ultraviolet light into the early universe was completely impossible.
Speaker 3: It was considered a lost cause for a.
Speaker 2: Long time because by death Phinian, the universe surrounding the galaxy at that exact time was still filled with that neutral hydrogen fog. The indrigalactic fog should have absorbed all the events before it ever traveled the twelve billion light years to reach our telescopes.
Speaker 3: A light should have never made it.
Speaker 2: To Earth exactly, So how did humanity manage to capture light from a time when the universe itself was actively trying to hide it?
Speaker 3: Well, the observation of MXDSC four point four wasn't just a matter of pointing a big telescope at the sky and getting lucky.
Speaker 2: Imagine not.
Speaker 3: It required a perfectly synchronized effort, an unprecedented astronomical tag team between three of the most sophisticated observatories ever built by humanity.
Speaker 2: This is where the story feels less like traditional astronomy and more like a high space, incredibly complex investigation.
Speaker 3: I love that framing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you'll indulge me, I frame this for myself as a team of highly specialized detectives working the ultimate cold.
Speaker 3: Case, a twelve billion year old cold case.
Speaker 2: Exactly. You have three distinct experts brought into all the crime. You have the Hubble Space telescope, you have the James web Space telescope, and you have the European Southern Observatory is Very Large Telescope.
Speaker 3: Or VLT, the heavy hitters, and.
Speaker 2: They all played entirely different, absolutely necessary roles. So let's start with Hubble. In my detective analogy, Hubble is the high speed photographer who somehow manages to catch the actual breakout of light in action.
Speaker 3: And Hubble's ability to catch that breakout is entirely dependent on a fundamental cosmic phenomenon called redshifting. Understanding redshifting is crucial to understanding why observing this galaxy is a literal miracle of physics.
Speaker 2: Okay, so if you're listening to this and wondering why scientists don't just use standard Earth based optical telescopes to look at these old galaxies, this is where the physics of the universe gets incredibly weird.
Speaker 3: Super weird. Let's really break down redshifting go for it. Remember that the light escaping from MXDFC four point four, the light doing the work of clearing the fog, is high energy ultraviolet light.
Speaker 2: The stuff that causes sunburns.
Speaker 3: Basically right, but way more intense. If you were floating in space right next to that galaxy one point four billion years after the Big Bang and you had a sensor for UV light, it would be blindingly intense. Okay, but that specific light has to travel for over twelve billion years to reach Earth, and over those twelve billion years, the universe is not a static empty room because.
Speaker 2: The universe itself is physically expanding.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and as the fabric of space stretches, the waves of light traveling through that space get physically stretched along with it.
Speaker 2: Wait, the actual light wave stretch.
Speaker 3: The actual waves.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The classic way to visualize this is drawing a wavy line on a rubber band and then pulling the ends of the rubber band. Ah Okay, the waves get longer and more drawn out as the band stretches.
Speaker 2: Precisely the peaks and valleys of the light wave get further and further apart.
Speaker 3: And why does that matter.
Speaker 2: Well, in the electromagnetic spectrum, the distance between those peaks the wavelength determines both the color and the energy of the light.
Speaker 3: Okay, So a shorter wave is one color, a longer wave is another, right.
Speaker 2: And a longer wavelength means lower energy. So, over its twelve billion year journey through expanding space, that incredibly tight energetic ultraviolet wave gets stretched so much that it actually shifts out of the ultraviolet spectrum entirely.
Speaker 3: It changes completely, it does.
Speaker 2: By the time it finally hits the mirrors of our telescopes today, it has been stretched all the way into the visible light spectrum.
Speaker 3: The exact light we can see with our own eyes exactly. That is genuinely mind bending. The light started as invisible high energy UV rode the physical expansion of the universe like a massive cosmic conveyor belt and stretched into visible colors.
Speaker 2: It's one of the most elegant quarks of our universe. And this is precisely why Hubble was the only tool for the job to see it right.
Speaker 3: Yes, Hubble is perfectly optimized to see invisible and near ultraviolet light. But it's not just the wavelength coverage that matters here. It is Bubble's space based location, its sensitivity, and its unbelievable optical resolution.
Speaker 2: Because it's so tiny and so far away.
Speaker 3: Right, looking at a tiny, cramped galaxy that is twelve billion light years away requires incredibly long, deep exposures. Hubble literally stared at this specific patch of sky for immense periods, gathering ancient photons one by one from several existing deep field surveys.
Speaker 2: So it just slowly built up the picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was the only instrument capable of resolving the specific source of that incredibly faint red shifted light and physically proving that it was coming directly from the tight clusters of young stars inside that galaxy.
Speaker 2: So Hubble gets the picture. It proves the light as escaping. But if Hubble is the photographer, the James Web Space Telescope is the psychological profiler. That's a good way to put it, because Mark Riffelski, a co author on this study, explicitly noted that without Web, the Hubble data would essentially be useless.
Speaker 3: Useless is a strong word, but in this context it's accurate.
Speaker 2: But why is that? If Hubble already saw the light escaping. Why did we need Web to step in and look at the exact same galaxy? What was missing?
Speaker 3: Well, seeing the light escaping doesn't tell you the whole story of the galaxy that produced it. You need environmental context. You need to know the specific conditions that allowed that light to.
Speaker 2: Escape, like the state of the smoke in the room exactly.
Speaker 3: Hubble is fantastic for visible light, but as we discussed, these heavily active star forming galaxies are absolutely full of dust, and cosmic dust notoriously blocks visible light.
Speaker 2: It obscures the internal structure completely.
Speaker 3: To really see what the galaxy looks like inside, to weigh its total mass, and to map out its entire history of star formation, you have to find a way to look straight through the dust.
Speaker 2: And that is Web's ultimate superpower.
Speaker 3: It is Web operates primarily in the near infrared and mid infrared spectrum. Infrared light has a much longer wavelength than visible.
Speaker 2: Light, which means it behaves differently.
Speaker 3: It allows the light to slip right around and through thick clouds of cosmic dusts that would otherwise be completely impenetrable to a telescope like Hubble.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's basically X ray vision for dust.
Speaker 3: Essentially. Yeah, So Webb looked at the exact same tiny galaxy and was able to determine the total mass of the structure. But more importantly, it was able to look at the older generations of stars that Hubble couldn't clearly define because they were hidden.
Speaker 2: Ah So Web analyzes the suspects. It looks at the entire population of the galaxy, not just the bright young ones.
Speaker 3: And that WEB data was the absolute nail in the coffin for determining the mechanism of the great escape. Howso, by analyzing the infrared data, Web proved that the older stars in MXDSC four point four were significantly cooler and less massive than the new burst.
Speaker 2: They were just two weak exactly.
Speaker 3: It definitively proved that these older populations were totally incapable of producing the energy required to blow away the gas or ionize the surrounding universe.
Speaker 2: They didn't have the muscle.
Speaker 3: By mathematically ruling out the older stars, Webb confirmed that the recent violent bursts of massive young stars, the ones Hubble caught, were the sole culprits responsible.
Speaker 2: It mapped the star formation history and proved the bursting explosive nature of the galaxy.
Speaker 3: It gave us the motive and the means.
Speaker 2: The synergy between the two space telescopes is incredible. Hubble sees the smoke clearing and Web looks through the walls to prove exactly who planted the dynamite.
Speaker 3: It really is a perfect partnership.
Speaker 2: But we have one more detective on the team, and their role is just as vital. The European Southern Observatory's Very Large Telescope, specifically the Meuse Instrument, the VLT. I call the VLT the forensic accountant because it didn't just look at the galaxy. It pinpointed the exact, undeniable timeline of the crime.
Speaker 3: And precision is everything in cosmology, it really is. If you don't know exactly when an event happened, you can't place it in the sequence of the universe's evolution. You're just guessing, right.
Speaker 2: And the VLT is a massive ground based facility in Chile, but the MUSE instrument attached to it is an incredibly powerful spectrograph operating in visible light.
Speaker 3: The spectrograph is the key here, So.
Speaker 2: Let's spend a minute on how a spectrograph actually works. Because it's essentially the most important tool in astronomy, right.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely, we'd be blind without them.
Speaker 2: From my understanding, a spectrograph takes the incoming light from that distant galaxy and physically breaks it apart into its component colors, like a highly advanced, incredibly precise prism.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect description. And breaking the light apart allows you to look at the quantum fingerprints of the galaxy.
Speaker 2: What do you mean by quantum fingerprints.
Speaker 3: Well, when you spread the light out into a spectrum, you don't just see a smooth rainbow of colors. You see these tiny dark gaps in the colors.
Speaker 2: Like missing slices.
Speaker 3: Right. These are called absorption lines different chemical elements in the universe, like hydrogen, helium, or carbon. They absorb very specific, exact wavelengths of light.
Speaker 2: So when the light travels through.
Speaker 3: The gas, exactly when light passes through the gas of a galaxy, the elements in that gas steal those specific colors, leaving dark gaps in the spectrum that reaches our telescopes.
Speaker 2: It's like a barcode. Every element has a unique barcode of dark lines.
Speaker 3: It is exactly like a barcode, and we know exactly where those dark lines should be for a specific element if it were sitting in a laboratory here on Earth. But remember red shifting. Because the light from MXDFC four point four has been stretched by the expansion of the universe for twelve billion years, that entire barcode is shifted toward the red end of the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Oh I see, so the whole barcode slides over. And they just measured exactly how much the barcode had been stretched.
Speaker 3: Precisely by looking at those specific absorption lines, the MUSC instrument could calculate the exact mathematical degree of the red shift.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And by knowing precisely how much the light had stretched, they could plug that into our models of cosmic expansion and calculate exactly how long the light had been traveling.
Speaker 2: Brilliant.
Speaker 3: This is how they pinpointed the exact age of MXDFC four point four at one point four billion years post.
Speaker 2: Big Bang down to the decimal. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Without that highly specific timestamp from the VLT, we wouldn't know exactly where this little galaxy fits into the timeline of the era of realization. For all we knew, it could have been from a time when the fog was already cleared.
Speaker 2: It truly is a masterpiece of technological coordination. I mean, you have a telescope launched in the nineteen.
Speaker 3: Nineties Hubble still going strong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a brand new infrared powerhouse parked a million miles away from Earth, and a massive ground based array in the Chilean Desert, all combining their unique, highly specialized data streams to build a single, undeniable picture of an event that happened twelve billion years ago.
Speaker 3: It gives you goosebumps when you really think about.
Speaker 2: It, It really does. But this rais is a really important question, and I think it's where we need to look at how this reshapes our understanding of the whole universe.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's look at the big picture.
Speaker 2: Because this massive, unprecedented effort yielded a single, spectacular observation of one tiny galaxy, why is this one little underdog causing such a massive paradigm shift in how we understand the cosmos?
Speaker 3: Well, in the field of cosmology, single concrete data points from that far back in time are incredibly rare, really just hard to find, very hard. They are the structural anchors that hold our massive theoretical models in reality. You see, prior to the discovery and deep analysis of MXDFC four point four, the cosmic map of the realization era was largely drawn using statistical assumptions.
Speaker 2: Okay, when you say statistical assumptions, what do you actually mean. Are astrophysicists just making highly educated guesses.
Speaker 3: It is a bit more rigorous than a guess, but essentially, yes, far enough. Researchers have been trying to understand this era for decades. But because these early galaxies are so impossibly distant and faint, they simply couldn't observe the mechanics directly.
Speaker 2: The fog hid them.
Speaker 3: So what is the alternative. You look at star populations in nearby galaxies, galaxies that are close enough to observe in great detail, and you use the statistics of how they behave.
Speaker 2: Like how rapidly they form stars, how their internal gas moves, that sort.
Speaker 3: Of thing exactly. You take those modern observations and use them to make well informed assumptions about what must have been happening in the early universe.
Speaker 2: Ah, so you extrapolate backward. You say, if physics works like this here and now in this specific type of star cluster, it probably works somewhat like this twelve billion years ago.
Speaker 3: That is the foundation of the theoretical models. But a model is always an assumption until you find hard empirical evidence to back it up.
Speaker 2: You need proof, You need proof.
Speaker 3: Before MXDFC four point four, researchers had only ever found one single galaxy emitting ionized light from one point six billion years ago, just one, just one, and maybe a few scattered examples from around two billion years ago, which is a point in time when the cosmic fog was mostly already cleared anyway.
Speaker 2: So they didn't really help explain the clearing process.
Speaker 3: That's right, MXDFC four point four, sitting right at the critical juncture of one point four billion years provides clear, undeniable proof of extreme ionizing light escaping. It completely anchors those theoretical models.
Speaker 2: It proves that the assumed mechanics actually existed in reality.
Speaker 3: Yes, it takes it out of the realm of simulation and into the realm of fact.
Speaker 2: Now I want to play skeptic here for the listener, because there is a seeming contradiction in the timeline of recent astronomical discoveries that I need you to clear up. Okay, laying on me in twenty twenty three. Just recently, there were massive headlines globally because the James Web space telescopes looked incredibly far back and proved that galaxies had stars emitting enough light to heat and ionized gas just nine hundred million years after the Big Bang.
Speaker 3: That was a huge moment, Yes, right.
Speaker 2: But that is half a billion years older than our little underdog galaxy. If we already knew from Web in twenty twenty three that galaxies had the power to do this back, then, why is this one point four billion year old galaxy the big missing puzzle piece.
Speaker 3: It's a very fair point to raise.
Speaker 2: Didn't Web already solve the mystery of reionization.
Speaker 3: Distinguishing between those two discoveries cuts to the very heart of how science actually progresses. It is the fundamental difference between having the potential to do something and actually executing on that potential.
Speaker 2: Break that down force. What did the twenty twenty three discovery actually tell us.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty three breakthrough with Web was absolutely monumental, no doubt, looking back to nine hundred million years and seeing the light from those incredibly early galaxies was a triumph of engineering.
Speaker 2: Roqu records it did.
Speaker 3: What WEB proved in twenty twenty three was that the sheer volume of high energy light existed in the early universe. It proved that the universe was manufacturing the right kind of ammunition.
Speaker 2: The stars were burning hot enough and bright enough to potentially clear the neutral hydrogen fogs.
Speaker 3: Yes, they had the power source, they possessed the required energy. However, there's always a however there is. However, what that twenty twenty three ARE observation completely failed to explain was the mechanism of escape. It showed the light was being created deep inside the galaxies, but it couldn't show how that light survived long enough to escape the thick choking gas of the galaxy itself to reach the intergalactic fog.
Speaker 2: Oh Man. So, returning to the flashlight in the campfire smoke analogy, the twenty twenty three WEB observation proved the flashlight was turned on exactly, It did not prove how the light got out of the smoke to clear the rest of the forest.
Speaker 3: That is exactly right. We knew the engines were running inside the factory, but we didn't know how the exhaust was getting out of the building.
Speaker 2: That makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: MXDSZ four point four is the first concrete, undeniable proof of the mechanism.
Speaker 2: It is the how by combining of the Hubble data showing the escaping light with the web data showing the bursting nature of the star formation.
Speaker 3: Yes, it proves that the mechanism of escape is violence. It proves that bursting crammed star formations and the resulting catastrophic supernovas act as the physical escape vehicle for this light.
Speaker 2: It validates the entire working theory of how the universe cleared its throat, so to speak.
Speaker 3: The twenty twenty three data showed the what. MXDSC four point four proves the how, and in the scientific method, proving the how is what actually rewrites the textbooks.
Speaker 2: It takes the theory out of the realm of statistical assumption and grounds it firmly in observable mechanical reality.
Speaker 3: You couldn't ask for a better piece of evidence.
Speaker 2: So where do we go from here? If this single galaxy is the Rosetta stone that proves how the fog was lifted, what is the roadmap forward for the astronomical community.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't just stop looking.
Speaker 2: Do we just start scanning the sky hoping to trip over more of these little hyperactive espresso machines.
Speaker 3: It will be a highly targeted, deliberate search because the discovery of MXDFC four point four proves that these objects exist and crucially that our current instruments are capable of finding them if we know where and how to look.
Speaker 2: So the immediate future outlook involves aggressively searching for more gas galaxies that share these specific characteristics. Precisely, our research is going to try to look even further back in time, deeper into the dark ages.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, the strategy outlined by the researchers is to actually find more of these galaxies at slightly later cosmic times.
Speaker 2: Wait really, why later? Yeah, wouldn't we want to look deeper into the fog to see the very beginning of the process.
Speaker 3: You would think so, But it's a matter of practicality, sample size, and signal strength. By looking at slightly later cosmic times, say moving from one point four billion years toward two billion years, the galaxies are slightly closer.
Speaker 2: To us, which means their light is slightly less red.
Speaker 3: Shifted exactly, and they are significantly easier to detect with high fidelity. The overarching goal right now is to build a larger statistical sample size of concrete data.
Speaker 2: Because we don't want to base our entire understanding of cosmic evolution on one single galaxy, no matter how spectacular and insightful it is.
Speaker 3: Right, you need a pattern, not just an anomaly. By finding ten or fifty or a hundred of these bursting fog clearing galaxies at various stages of the late reionization era, researchers can drastically refine their measurements.
Speaker 2: They can start to see if this violent supernova driven clearing is the only way it happens, or if it's just one of many different ways the universe became transparent.
Speaker 3: They can figure out exactly what percentage of the cosmic fog was cleared by these violent little underdogs versus larger, more stable galaxies that might have different escape mechanisms.
Speaker 2: Gathering a large sample size allows them to finally draw firm, unquestionable conclusions about the exact timeline, the dominant mechanisms, and the definitive end of the era of realization.
Speaker 3: It transitions the field from an era of incredible singular discoveries into an era of precision mapping and comprehensive understanding.
Speaker 2: It is truly staggering to step back and look at the sheer scope of what we've discussed today.
Speaker 3: It's a lot to take in.
Speaker 2: It is. We started by picturing a universe completely choked by an opaque, murky fog of neutral hydrogen gas, a universe where high energy light was constantly trapped, scattered, and destroyed before it could travel any meaningful.
Speaker 3: Distance, a very dark place.
Speaker 2: And we watched as a tiny, hyperactive, chaotic galaxy managed to fight back against that darkness. It didn't fight back with steady, calm, reliable light, but with violent birthing generations of massive stars that lived incredibly short lives and died in catastrophic supernova explosions.
Speaker 3: Literally blowing physical holes through the dense cosmic dust.
Speaker 2: Carving out clearings for their light to finally escape. And all of this complex cosmic machinery was only revealed to us because three of the most advanced pieces of technology in human history, hubble Web and the VLT worked together in perfect synergy.
Speaker 3: To catch the stretched, exhausted light of that ancient battle. Twelve billion years later.
Speaker 2: It stands as a testament to both the sheer terrifying power of the natural universe and the relentless collaborative ingenuity of human curiosity.
Speaker 3: We are essentially doing forensic archaeology on the scale of the cosmos, piecing together our own origins from the faintest whispers of light.
Speaker 2: I want to leave you with a final thought to mull over today, something that really struck a chord with me as we were piecing all of this together. Okay, we started by asking you to look up at the clear ninth sky. We revel in that transparency. We build our telescopes, we map the constellations, we search for other habitable worlds, all because we have the immense privilege of a clear view into the deep cosmos.
Speaker 3: It's something we completely take for granted.
Speaker 2: Completely, but when you truly look at the mechanics of how that clear view is achieved, it fundamentally changes how you look at the stars. The very mechanism that cleared the cosmic fog, the exact physical process that made the universe transparent and allowed light to travel freely to our eyes, was the violent explosive death of its earliest most massive stars.
Speaker 3: The supernovas were the key to our site.
Speaker 2: The ultimate destruction of those ancient giants was physically required to blow away the fog, which means that the clear, beautiful night sky you look up at today, the pristine window that gives humanity our place in the cosmos, is essentially built upon the explosive graveyard of the universe's first inhabitants.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's heavy.
Speaker 2: Our ability to see the universe at all was bought entirely by their violent destruction. Keep looking up and we'll catch it next time.