Speaker 1: Good morning, good morning, good morning. Welcome, welcome, welcome. It is time now for our community connection right here on K one, the one you trust. We have our friends from Elder Care in here. We have miss Bishop, Miss Kola.
Speaker 2: How you doing, kids, wonderful.
Speaker 1: Tom My, goodness Egs. It's a beautiful morning. And speaking of beautiful morning, you guys have a thing called daybreak out there that works really well. We do.
Speaker 3: We have a beautiful, beautiful center Adult a health our Daybreak program and it is amazing. We have Miss Sheila Tucker who is our administrator and she is just fabulous. It is a wonderful environment that helps families, you know, stay at home longer. It gives them something that they can do. It provides respite, It gives people a purpose.
Speaker 1: It does and that's where the cool kids hang out, Michael.
Speaker 4: That's where all the cool kids hang out at It's undergo wander back there in the building and check out what's going on at daybreak from checkers and chess to pottery to music to get I mean, they're doing something constantly and.
Speaker 1: It's always a conversation.
Speaker 4: There's always a conversation and they're going to grab you and you walk through and pull you into their conversation. And it's a great it's a great first choice for anyone who is looking to stay at home longer, and I think too many people miss out on that. They go I don't know what our options are. Do we have someone who comes to the home, or do we put someone in an assisted living No, come to daybreak, come to elder care, because you're not going to find a more active, affordable, and efficient way to extend your independence at home than through Daybreak.
Speaker 1: Absolutely well, Christina, you get the best best of both worlds here for your loved one. At the end of the day, you get to go Holpe, you know where everything is, everything's pretty familiar to you. In the daytime, you get to have friends, you.
Speaker 3: Do and like I said, it gives that purpose. But we have people who drive to Daybreak, They drive themselves. We have individuals who need a little bit more oversight. We have people who've just felt really lonely at home and wanted to reconnect, and so Daybreak gives them that opportunity. It gives them an opportunity to help others. And when we help others, we feel very hopeful and we have a purpose, and that is so important.
Speaker 1: You have something seeing the smiles when you walk in. That's got to be the kind of a reward in it.
Speaker 3: It is amazing.
Speaker 2: This job offers so much of that.
Speaker 3: The wisdom and just the people and the connection is just amazing. Tom. We can't tell you how beneficial it is to be a part of this community and the families that come to elder Care because they lift us up, they educate us, and they bring so much to the table.
Speaker 1: You know, we have a lot of caretakers that utilize a lot of the resources that Elder Care is part of, but sometimes the caretakers need a little care themselves.
Speaker 4: There's no question about that. We offer a weekly caregiver support group. It's every Tuesday at ten am. And if you come to the caregiver support group and you'm not sure what to do with your loved one with the person who's receiving the care, call us and talk to Sheila at daybreak because for that one hour you could have your loved one be a part of daybreak for that one hour while you're at the caregiver support group.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: And then we have another unique group that meets every Thursday from ten to eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: It's called Open Door Cafe. We don't really view it as a support group because it's just a place.
Speaker 4: To belong if you are someone who just needs some time to yourself as a caregiver. But we ask you to bring your care receiver, your loved one with you and they can be in the cafe area with you. They can be in the room right next door where Sheila and daybreak staff are there with cognitive gains, different things to help them stay busy and to you know, just kind of exercise their mind during that time. And you're not leaving your loved one at home, you're bringing them there with us. So it's respite for that caregiver through those two opportunities that we have.
Speaker 1: And when they're bringing their loved one in, can't you just almost see that little light come on and you're like, Wow, this is cool. I'm not a.
Speaker 3: Loomed amazing, And it provides an opportunity to come in a cafe style, so there's coffee and tea and pastries from the eatery which are amazing, and it's a chance for the caregiver to sit down and not have to answer any questions. Sometimes I just want to go somewhere that nobody's asking me questions. It's a time to connect. If they want to seek resources, they can, or if they just want someone to visit with, we're there. But the other part of Adult Day Health that respite that we're open seven thirty am to five thirty each day. They may have a caregiver that still works, They may have a caregiver that just needs some downtime so they can provide the care in the evening. Adult Day offers that, and Adult Day Health is one of the most affordable means of care you will find.
Speaker 1: Wow, we have folks. You need to contact either Michael or Christina out there at the Elder Care and ask about this program and maybe come out and take a little visitally.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, we love to do tours. We love to talk to people. When you think about care, if you're imagining a center that offers cognitive therapies, physical therapies, you know, access to your medical providers, games, entertainment, socialization, all of the oversight. We have a dedicated nurse on staff for Adult Day Health at a little over eleven dollars an hour, right that is unheard of. That and Adult Day is one of those programs that is the most audited. So we have the best care that you know is available and it really extends your time at home, if not indefinitely, and provides that community connection. So the other thing I want to mention real quick, I know I can talk a lot, is the we have so many ways of helping pay for adult day health through scholarship, we take VA, we have the Advantage program, we have block grants. You know, private pay long term care insurance. But if you need that service, we're going to find a way to help you get what you need.
Speaker 1: My goodness, I think you just made a whole lot of people to say wow because they were wanting to take part of the services listening in and it's like, going on, how do I cover this?
Speaker 3: You just open the door, just come talk to us.
Speaker 1: Conversations work, don't they?
Speaker 2: It does absolutely?
Speaker 1: You know what else works? Having fun? And I understand you've got a funny event coming.
Speaker 2: Up, fun event coming up?
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think we're referring to the United Ways Aloha after do yeah, indeed, and we are a United Way partner. And so July twenty six, six pm O Sage Casino tickets are on sale. I heard last week maybe that they were down to three tables, So if you want a table, you better call them up quick. Nice. Yeah, but United Way makes such a difference in this community and in our lives, in the lives of the people that come to elder Care, and we just are so thankful for their partnership.
Speaker 1: They're good, they're a lot of fun, but they also work very hard on behalf of everyone. Yeah, but also all the partnering.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: All you think about the nonprofits here in town and what they do, we could not do it without United Way, and Lisa and her team are incredible. They join your mission, They are hands on and we are thankful for that.
Speaker 1: Michael, We've got a lot of other things that go on out and Eldercare. That's the big green roof is how do you fit it all under?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know how we fit it all one roof, but you've.
Speaker 1: Got you've got everything from people who help you do a little therapy to doctors, the physical therapy.
Speaker 2: We've got a medical clinic.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: We literally had a pottery class on Monday evening that was open to the public.
Speaker 2: You know, you could.
Speaker 4: It was a a class you had to pay to be a part of unless unless you're a caregiver. That's right, it was your Your price was covered if you're a caregiver. We're we are ramping up all of the different events and activities that we have at Eldercare under the big green roof, as you say, so, we want want that to be a central hub in Bartlesville for people to come and find community, to come and find a new spark in life, and just to be very active. So we from we have gentle Yoga that happens twice a week. We have the caregiver support groups I mentioned, but we also have a monthly support group just for those who are dealing with Parkinson's or your loved ones dealing with Parkinson's. The number of things that we have going on are it's too many to count, it is, and we're.
Speaker 3: Only going to get bigger.
Speaker 2: It's only going to get bigger, yea.
Speaker 1: You know. One of the programs I had the privileged to be a part of was a thing simply called dinner with friends. Oh yeah, and you think to that, you know, like, well okay we'll go to dinner. Well all right, good, we'll go out. The elder Care always got good food out there and they got dinner in the show, and we had a lot of fun performance with Kevin Knowles, who were two guys with guitars she named. But but the thing was everybody had fun, and there were people who hadn't seen each other in a while, and you could say, oh wait across tables at each other and folks at you know, who were maybe neighbors sometime earlier in life. And it was just a great sense of community.
Speaker 3: It is and what a wonderful thing to experience to have a place to go and meet up with your friends, to have those conversations, enjoy a dinner here, wonderful programs, music, We have great providers. So we're just thankful for the community participation.
Speaker 1: This guy's great, he's got you got to you gotta put your.
Speaker 2: Good You think we got it.
Speaker 3: I've I've been mentioning that I tabble.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's in house. Come on, he's in house.
Speaker 3: It's part of the gig, right.
Speaker 4: Our next dinner to friends is August fifth. Actually, really there there will be something on Facebook this next week for folks to start signing up to be a part of that.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think, who are I think Jaselle Dobson, she.
Speaker 1: I knows you.
Speaker 4: So's she's our entertainment. She's grown up, she's our entertainment. That night and our own chef, chef Pam Beanguard will be again.
Speaker 2: Making the meal.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure what her menu is, but again that's gonna We're gonna put all that out on Facebook and do email blasts next week to start kicking that.
Speaker 1: You know, it stopped raining and started getting hot. Oh, we got a project, a cool, cool, cool room project.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, we mentioned the United Way, and we can't do in Bartlesville. The United Way agencies and the nonprofits that they support. It's only possible because of what Bartlesville does.
Speaker 2: How Bartlesville supports the United Way.
Speaker 4: And so it is getting warmer, and we have what's called the Cool Room Project, and that's where we loan out a window air conditioning unit to someone who is aged six year older who is in need of that. Just a few qualifications. In order for you to get one. You have to have a one hundred and ten outlet, buy a window and a door to that room that will close so as the summer heat and up, muggy air starts piling on if you don't have central heating air, or you don't have a working window unit, you can have a cool room in your home and we just loan those out generally for the season. They come back in September ish. But here's our problem, Tom, We have a waiting list. We have people who need this relief right now, and for two hundred dollars, if someone were to donate two hundred dollars to elder Care, we could go out and buy a unit right now to have and start making up that waiting list. If you donate six hundred dollars, we're going to get three of them. If you have a working unit that's gently used and you know it's capable and you're not using it, absolutely donate that to us. We would love to do that because there are people who are in need and we want to help facilitate meeting that need. And I know our community is generous and giving and.
Speaker 2: If you could help with that, we would love it.
Speaker 4: And if you need help, I know there's a waiting list, but reach out because we are going to find a way to get more and more of those so that we can get those into your homes.
Speaker 1: And we're announcing this on the kickoff of the dog days or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're exactly right, only going to get hotter.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah. I was told that once you turn the heat on down here, it sticks around to a little bit.
Speaker 4: We've been fortunate, it's been mild for the last eight weeks, but it is kicking in and it's we've had enough rain to lasts for the rest of the year, thank goodness.
Speaker 2: But that just means it's going.
Speaker 1: To be muggy. That's a miserable heat.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and people need that cool room to stay healthy. It's not a luxury, it's a real need. And so we find people that are really struggle and like Michael said, they need to.
Speaker 2: Be able to close the door.
Speaker 3: Now if they can put up a curtain, you know, it doesn't have to be a wood door. But we want to help them make sure that they have a safe space and one that the air conditioner can efficiently cool.
Speaker 1: No, Christina, people have questions, So you just call you guys out, Just.
Speaker 3: Give us a call nine one, eight, three three, six eighty five hundred and.
Speaker 1: If you're going to drop one off, please call ahead.
Speaker 4: We had an individual about six weeks ago who just came by and said Hey, I bought three air conditioners that loads. Can I drop them off and absolutely drive round back Let's unload these. So do it help any way you can, and you know those who need it would be very grateful.
Speaker 3: What's your website at about eldercare dot org.
Speaker 1: All right, where can we find you?
Speaker 4: Twelve twenty three Swan drive the big green woof Just march on past tackle Bell, keep going south, you'll find us there you go.
Speaker 1: Come in cane. Thank you telling us about el