Speaker 3: Hello, everybody.
Speaker 1: This is Pastor Rick's Daily Hope with Rick Warren. I'm really glad you're here today. We're continuing our series from Psalm twenty three called living in the Goodness of God. It's all about how God's goodness meets you right where you are and brings hope even in difficult seasons. Okay, and now here's the final part of a message called how God's Goodness can restore.
Speaker 2: You Number two. What about when we do wrong? What about when we sin? What about when we have that unconfessed guilt? How does God the good Shepherd deal with that? Well, God's good God. And here's the answer. When we do wrong, Jesus takes my sin on himself. He says, I'm gonna take your guilt. Please just hand it over to me. And I'm going to go die on the cross and pay for all your sins, so you don't have to pay for your sins. This is the best news in the whole world. We call it the gospel, which is an Old English word for good news. And Jesus takes all my guilt on himself. He says, I'm going to give you all my goodness.
Speaker 3: It's also called righteousness.
Speaker 2: I'm going to give you all my goodness so you can get into heaven and you're going and I'm gonna take all of your guilt, and I'm going to pay for it on the cross. Nearly seven hundred years before Jesus died on the cross, so that would be about two thousand, seven.
Speaker 3: Hundred years ago.
Speaker 2: A guy named Isaiah was a prophet, and God told him in very specific terms that he was going to send a savior to the world, a messiah to save all our sins and to pay for him seven hundred years He gave him this prophecy. It's in many chapters of Isaiah, but Psal I mean Isaiah fifty three is the clearest. And when you read these details, you got to read that this guy was saying this seven hundred years before it happened. Only God could have told him this. And in Isaiah fifty three, Verses five and six, it says this about Jesus. Seven hundred years before Jesus arrived, he was wounded and crushed for our sins. This is on the cross. He was beaten, and he took our punishment so that we might have peace. And through his wounds, our wounds are healed. All of us have strayed away like sheep. You know, sheep, I told you last week, not real smart. We've all done our own thing. We've left God's path to follow our own. Yet the Lord laid on him the guilt and sins of us all. Now, what I just read to you is the most basic fundamental truth of the Bible. If this wasn't true, we could all go home right now, because we wouldn't have anything at all, if Jesus Christ hadn't come to pay for your sins. The most basic truth is that he did that. Everything you're going to do wrong in life, including the stuff you're going to do tonight and tomorrow and next week and ten years from today, it's already been paid for. It's already been paid for. You just have to accept God's grace and goodness. That is the goodness of God, that He's already paid for everything I'm even going to do, not just a past, but in the future.
Speaker 3: It's already paid for.
Speaker 2: I remember one time there was a guy out on the patio at the Lake Forest campus and he came up to me frantically after the service, and he said, I need to know what do I need to do to get to heaven? I said, well, you're too late. Just thought it shock.
Speaker 3: Him, you're too late?
Speaker 2: He is, no, no, no, really, what do I need to do in order to get to heaven? I said, sorry, you're too late? So what do you mean it's got to.
Speaker 3: Be something I can do? I said, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: It's already been done by Jesus Christ two thousand years ago. This is what makes Christianity different from religions that are out there. Every religion has a list of things to do to get to heaven, and each religion this is our list, and this is our list, and that's our list, and another religion that's our list. And if you'll do these things, it's all based on your performance, you might make it into heaven. Can't be sure, but you might. And so all the other religions can be summed up in the word do. Christianity is summed up in the word done. And when Jesus was on the cross, he cried out, it is finished.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Notice he didn't say I'm finished, because he wasn't. He came back to life three days later and he wasn't finished. And he's alive today. He lives in my heart. I've been his friend now for over fifty years, and many of you have too. But when he says it is finished, he's saying you don't need that anything. It's not I die on the cross, plus you do these ten other things, then you get to go to heaven. There's only one thing you need to get into heaven, humility. To realize you're never getting there by what you do. The only way is to say I am a sinner and I need a savior. That's what you say. That's humility. That's the sin that will keep you out of heaven. I don't need anybody to saying I'm good enough to get there on my own. Really, it's a perfect place. I stop being perfect about thirty seconds in to this planet, and so nobody bats a thousand. I've never met anybody who actually claim to be perfect. We all know we're imperfect, but we say to God, God, we're gonna trust you. And when you come to Christ and you say I'm gonna you're gonna take my sins on you? Yeah, what are you giving me in return? My goodness? You don't have to beg Please God, please please save me. You don't have to bargain. If you'll do this God, then then I'll do that. You don't have to bribe. I'll read my Bible every day. If you do this, breag, bribe, bargain.
Speaker 3: You don't do anything. You don't beg. You just believe. That's it. That's why it's called the good news.
Speaker 2: The word gospel is just nold English word that means good news.
Speaker 3: And what's the best news.
Speaker 2: You can't get to heaven on your good works, but it's already been paid for. You just have to humbly admit you need a savior, that you're not good enough to go to a perfect place. He said, But Rick, you don't know what I've done. It doesn't matter. I don't need to know what you've done because I know what Jesus has done. And what Jesus has done is bigger than what you have done. The good thing he did on the cross is bigger than the bad thing you have done. That's why we call it good Friday. When he died. It's not good for Jesus, it's painful, but it's good for you.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: Well, Rick, I've asked God to forgive me.
Speaker 3: I just don't feel forgiven.
Speaker 2: It means you don't fully understand it yet, because once you understand how fully forgiven you are, you just want to shout, you want to jump up it down. And if God comes into your life, it's gonna make some changes. You can't have him come into your life and it not changed you. So if your life hadn't changed any you might have gotten something, but you haven't gotten God. Somebody as big as God can't come into your life and not change you. And when you the more you understand grace, the more joyful you'll be. Many of you know that one of my mentors in life was the father of modern management, Peter Drucker, and he mentored me the last thirty years of his life from about sixty five to ninety five, and he trained all of the who's who of business leaders that are leading businesses today. And one day I was up at his house and he was mentoring me on some leadership things, and I said, Peter, when did you step across the line, When did you find Christ? When did you put your faith in Jesus? And he said, in that thick Austrian accent, Well Rick, he said, when I finally understood the concept of grace, I knew I was going to never get a better deal. When you finally understand how good God really is.
Speaker 3: You're not going to go anywhere else because he's a good good father.
Speaker 2: Now, as I said, Isaiah wrote that part about Jesus suffering on the cross. Let me read you some more of it and listen to the details of this seven hundred years before it actually happened Isaiah fifty three, verses seven to twelve. He was beaten down and punished talking about Jesus on the cross before the cross, but he didn't say a word.
Speaker 3: That all happened.
Speaker 2: He was led out like a lamb to be slaughtered. He was condemned to death without fear judgment, and then he was put to death for the transgressions of everyone else.
Speaker 3: That's us.
Speaker 2: He died like a criminal, but then was buried with the rich, even though he'd done nothing wrong and had never lied.
Speaker 3: You know this is true.
Speaker 2: Jesus died on the cross as a criminal. You know that was the worst capital punishment available. It's humiliating death on the cross. But when they took him down, there was a wealthy man named Joseph of Verimathea who had a brand new tomb he'd bought for his family, off in baptized, bury people in the same tomb for decades and then like a hole in the wall of a cave.
Speaker 3: And then covered up.
Speaker 2: And Joseph Verimathea was quite wealthy, and and but he offered his tomb for Jesus because he's not going to need it very long. Think about that, like, you know, what's a few days? You know, he said, he's coming back to life, So why would I worries borrowed for a couple of days. I don't intend to die between now and then. But seven hundred years, Isaiah says, a rich man is going to provide him a tomb. And it says, yet it was God's plan to cause him to suffer. It was God's mind who put Jesus to death, not the Romans, not Jewish leaders. God did, God did. Jesus said, I lay down my life. He's part of the training. I voluntarily do this for you and me. It was God's plan to cause him to suffer and make his life a guilt offering for our sins, sacrifice to bring forgiveness. But after his soul suffered many things, he will enjoy life, enjoy again, that's the resurrection. He's saying this seven hundred years before it happened. But my suffering servant God says, will make many people right with God, and he will be He will bear all their sins, and he will willingly give his life. And he was treated like a criminal, but he took the place of everyone who had sinned, and he interceded for their forgiveness. And when Jesus died on the cross, he covered all your sins and he forgave you. And the Bible says he throws your sins in the deepest part of the sea. It's like a metaphor. And then I want to add, and he puts up a no fishing sign. Why would you drag out something to remember that God has already forgiven and forgotten.
Speaker 3: When you keep feeling.
Speaker 2: Bad about something you've already confessed to God and God's forgiven you and Jesus died for it, then it says, I don't really believe.
Speaker 3: Jesus paid for my sin. That's unbelief.
Speaker 2: When you keep asking for forgiveness for something you sincerely ask for already is unbelief. Because Jesus gives completely and freely and instantly and with grace. When Jesus forgave all your sins, which one were not included?
Speaker 3: None?
Speaker 2: They're all included, every single one. This is why I serve Jesus Christ. I don't serve him for money. I don't serve him for fame. I don't serve him out of duty. I don't serve him out of fear. I don't serve him out of guilt. I serve him out of gratitude. And you should too. And if God has forgetting all forgiven all your sins, shouldn't you?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 2: What about the third thing? We talked about? Guilt, we talked about grudges. What about this third area that warps my soul?
Speaker 3: Grief?
Speaker 2: He might write this down When we experience loss here it is loss in pain. Jesus feels my grief and heals my heart. He feels my grief and he heals my heart. Why does Jesus feel my grief because he understands grief. He's been there, He's experienced it too. He understands to earth and became one of us. So he's experienced all of the loneliness that people experienced, the betrayal that people experience, the rejection that people experience us, and he came to feel my grief and heal my heart. That is the goodness of God. The Lord is my shepherd. Again more in this same chapter, Isaiah fifty three, same place, seven hundred plus years before Jesus came to earth, Isaiah says this describes Jesus, the Messiah, the Savior. He was despised and rejected by others. If you've ever been despised, you know how that hurts. Maybe you were despised at school.
Speaker 3: That hurts.
Speaker 2: Maybe you're despised because of a handicap, or the color of your skin, or because your female or male or whatever. If you've been despised, Jesus understands. He was despised.
Speaker 3: He was rejected.
Speaker 2: If you've ever had somebody reject you walk out on your life, Jesus understands that hurt. There's no hurt you can experience that. He doesn't understand no grief. Why can't Jesus understand my grief he's experienced at all? Isaiah. He was despised and rejected by others. He was a man of sorrows, which endured much pain and suffering, and he experienced deep grief. Imagine leaving heaven and come here to live a bunch people who hate you. He experienced deep grief, but we ignored him and we looked the other way. He was hated and we did not care. Yet it was our weakness that he was carrying on the cross, and it was our sorrow, our sorrow that weighed him down. So he understands. He doesn't just understand, he doesn't just feel.
Speaker 3: He heals.
Speaker 2: Look at the next verse, Ps. One forty seven, Verse three. He heals the broken hearted, and he binds up their wounds. I don't know what's broken your heart. Some of your heart's breaking right now. I'm sorry. I'm sorry, and I'm glad you're here because this is a place for the healing of broken hearts. But the fact of life is Jesus says, I heal, and I feel, and I care about what you're going through.
Speaker 3: Now. So what are you doing with your grief?
Speaker 2: Maybe you just had a big breakup, Maybe you just got fired at work.
Speaker 3: Maybe you just go.
Speaker 2: Does anybody want me? Does anybody want me? Does anybody notice me? And there's that ache in your heart? What do you do with that ache? You take it to Jesus because he heals, and he feels he understands it all. Now, Jesus never wanted us to forget the sacrifice he made to handle your grudges, your grief, and your guilt. And he gave us a symbol called communion, the Lord's Supper. He said, I want you to remember what I've done for you.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know you can't stand to have an unfilled blank, So I'm going to give them to you real quick. All right, you want to write these down?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: You gonna write these down. Three things that are my response to what Jesus does for me because of my guilt, my grief, and my grudges. How should I respond? Well, it's all summed up in the attitude of believe trust, And number one is trust the good Shepherd to forgive my sins. Actually believe that he has forgiven my sins. Start acting like all your sins are forgiven rome Is three, twenty three and twenty four. All of us have sinned, yet God declares us not guilty if we trust circle that word trust in Jesus Christ, when this free mercy freely.
Speaker 3: Takes away our sins.
Speaker 2: So I just trust, I believe, I accept that my my sins have been forgiven because of what Jesus did on the Cross. Number two, Release my offenders, Release my offenders people who've hurt me, and focus on the future. Don't let them get under your skin anymore, because your soul cannot be restored until you let go of resentment in your mind, in your thoughts, and let go of revenge in your emotions, and let go of retaliation in your actions.
Speaker 3: And your decisions.
Speaker 2: You gotta let it go, said God. Today, I'm letting them go. The Bible says Ephesians four thirty. Get rid of all bitterness. Let me just you should not. Bitterness is a barrier to your life forgiving each other just as Christ forgave you. Not only is that you to get rid of resentment, he said, you got to get rid of retaliation Romans twelve. Never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God. He said, He'll repay those who deserve it. So I trust God really did forgive all my sins. And then because of that, I start offering forgiveness of other people. I let other people off the hook, and I released my offenders so I can focus on the future. I've certainly not got to get stuck in the past for the rest of my life. Then number three, I team up with Jesus to carry my load. God never intended for you to go through life carrying all your grief, guilt, grudges, problems, pressures, stresses, situations by yourself.
Speaker 3: And Jesus says, I.
Speaker 2: Want to team up with you. I want to yoke up with you. And when he uses the word yoke, he's not talking about an a yoke. He's talking about the kind of yoke that they would put over two cattle is a beam, and the beam, then the two cattle can pull the wagon together. Here's what it says. Look up here on the screen. Come to me, Just come to Jesus. Come to me, you who are weary. You're tired. You carry a heavy burdens, and I will give you a lot more to do. No, that's all he says. Come to me, and I will give you what. Yeah, rest we talked about that last week.
Speaker 3: Take my yoke upon you.
Speaker 2: Let me teach you because I'm humble and gentle, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke fits perfectly, and the burden I give you is light. Now when you read that, it sounds like he said, okay, you know this cattle yoke that they would put over two horses or two cattle they pull the wagon.
Speaker 3: You go, wait a.
Speaker 2: Minute, he's putting something else on me. That sounds pretty heavy. That doesn't sound good, A little big heavy.
Speaker 3: Thing like that.
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't understand. The purpose of a yoke is not to put more on you. It's to take off half of your load. If you're pulling the wagon by yourself, it's one hundred percent dependent on your energy. Jesus says, yoke up with me, let's share it and guess what I'll help you carry, and it will be half as difficult. That makes sense. The yoke is not to put more on you. The yolk is saying I'll pull your load. Jesus doesn't have any load. He's God. He has no load. Everything's easy for him. And so when you yoke up, team up with Jesus, he says, I'll help you pull your load. And by the way, when you yoked up to Jesus, it's impossible for you to run the wagon into the ditch because he's not gonna let you do it. You got to go the direction he's going, and you got to go with the pace he's going, and he will go at a more reasonable pace than you will. That's what he says, I want to do in your life. It's bower heads. Would you pray and would you talk to God right now? Say God? My soul needs restoring. I don't always think, I don't always choose right, I don't always feel right. And I need you to restore my damaged soul, my mind, my will, and my emotions. And Lord, specifically today, I want to help ask your help on the things that do damage my soul. About those unaddressed grudges. I know it's not doing me any good to hold onto the hurt. I'm only hurting myself with the anger. And every time I remember that the way they hurt me, it just hurts again. Would you turn my hurts into holiness? Would you turn my pain into gain? Would you do what only you can do? Would you transform me and turn the conflict and the chaos into character.
Speaker 3: In my life?
Speaker 2: I need your help to do that, and Lord, I'm going to ask you also with the unconfessed guilt. And there's stuff I've been carrying around in a large garbage bag for a long time, and it's starting to stink. I'm going to say to you, I need your forgiveness, and then more than that, I'm going to believe it. I'm not going to listen to my feelings or what anybody else says, or what thoughts that Satan might try to put in my mind. Thank you Jesus for taking all of my sins on yourself at the Cross. Thank you that you were wounded and crushed for me. You're beaten, took my punishment so that I might have peace. You've said in your word that your wounds heal my wounds. I'm asking you to do that. And then, Lord, all of those losses that I've had in life that have caused grief, I need your help with that. I need you to feel my grief and heal my heart like you've promised. Help me to realize that you understand how I feel better than I do. And as I continue this journey with learning about your goodness, I first want to say, I'm going to trust that my sins have been forgiven because I've humbly just come to you and said I need it. I need a savior, and I'm going to release the people who've hurt me. And every time I think of him. Help me to just pray a prayer blessing to not hold onto the hurt. Most of all, Jesus, I want to team up with you, yoke up with you. I'm going to ask you to help me in the load that I'm carrying. If you've never invited Jesus Christ in your heart, say Jesus Christ today, I want to get to know you. I want to learn to love you. I want to learn to trust you. And I humbly ask you to accept me into your family. And I pray this not because I deserve it, but because on the Cross it was finished.
Speaker 3: You paid it all right there. Thank you in your name. I pray Amen.
Speaker 2: You know, if you just prayed that prayer for the very first time, or you just recommitted your life to Jesus again today, would you let me know about it. There's something real about sharing your commitment. So write me Rick at Pastorick dot com and say, Rick, I prayed that prayer of commitment. I gave my life to Christ. And I'll send you some material that will help you on your journey with Jesus. And I'll also pray for you. God bless you.
Speaker 1: Man. I love hearing, Pastor Rick, what a great message. We also love hearing from our listeners. Here's with a very encouraging letter.
Speaker 2: Let me close this broadcast by sharing a letter from a listener in Rome, Italy. Her name is Heitian, and she says, Pastor Rick, I've relocated to Rome, Italy, where I'm currently working at the World Food Program. I really love listening to your sermons and I also love reading your daily devotionals, which I share with many of my colleagues serving in the field offices in Africa and another hardship duty stations. They appreciate receiving the message very much. God bless you Heitian in Rome. Now did you get this? A message that is starting in southern California in the United States of America is being sent to Europe in Rome, Italy, and then it is being re sent out to other continents like Africa. That is the amazing age of technology that we live in today, and that's why your gifts go much further than they used to go even twenty or thirty years ago. Our ability to reach listeners like Hesian and her friends, not just in Europe but in Africa, is a direct result of your prayers and your support for Daily Hope. So thanks so much, and by the way, join me next time when we continue looking into God's Word for our daily hope.
Speaker 1: This program is sponsored by Pastor Rick's Daily Hope and your generous financial support