Speaker 1: Are we going.
Speaker 2: We're going, let's go gold like punditry right, doing politics right.
Speaker 1: No, I think we should be as far away from as possible act. I mean, I mean everybody does everybody does that like we only we're the only people who do us right. So the more we do us, the better.
Speaker 2: That is fantastic. It's the IDEs of May. And this is pop culture. But start again, well I start again? Is it because I said pop culture and not?
Speaker 1: That's funny?
Speaker 2: And that's because I have this in my head and we're going to talk about it. So I'm not going to start again. Glove culture May John pod Hornets talking here. I'm looking here. You're not seeing him, but I'm seeing in I believe in Princeton, New Jersey, in Manhattan, Oh, in Manhattan, wearing a very nice striped shirt, and lie, I like it. I'm enjoying it. And in his aria in northwestern DC. Northwest DC, we don't say northwestern. See is Jonah Goldberg?
Speaker 1: Hi Jonah? Hello John.
Speaker 2: I just want to say before we start that, I just I spent about an hour reading the dispatches New Acquisitions Scotus Blogs live blog of the Supreme Court proceedings today May fifteenth, and it was absolutely fascinating. It was great. I read it. I wasn't doing it, I wasn't following it live. I actually read it after after the blog had finished, and therefore was able to sort of read it chronologically to see where the argument was going and how things were. It was lively, It was funny, interesting, good, juicy details from Sarah Esker on the fact that Neil Gorson's has a gigantic moose's head in his office and Amy Cony Barrett has some kind of anyway, So.
Speaker 1: What part of pop culture?
Speaker 2: John, Yes, we're gonna so this is what we're going to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so this is gonna be the right Yeah, because my question is my question is do you believe that what you just said counts as pop cultures?
Speaker 2: I think anything that I say counts as pop culture because you.
Speaker 1: Know what, I think it might have identified the problem.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, okay, we have been doing this podcast. I believe we're trying to figure out twelve years. Thirteen years. You did it for a year before I joined with mark Stein, and then mark Stein went off as mark Stein is inclined to do, and I came on and we have been having this conversation monthly in front of people, and we have conversations not in front of people for decades, and why it was monthly May we used to do it every two week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 2: Okay, So here's the thing.
Speaker 1: Do we still do it? I still do it. We do it twice a month though.
Speaker 2: No, we don't, but we could. But here's the thing. I'm worried, and I keep expressing my worry that we're running out of gas, that we have had the conversations right now that we're constantly defaulting to.
Speaker 1: I don't think that's true topics, but I think that is. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can let John make the case before you get there. I don't have a case, you know. I just keep thinking, Oh my god, have we had this exact conversation before about the episode of The Odd Couple when Felix and Oscar each tell the story of or how they first four different how they first met shows, or anything like that. Have Have we done this before? Have we told our anecdotes before? Have we talked about it? And we have talked about because let's face it, we're not consumers of the kind of pop culture that we once were when we started right, We're not going to the movies as much as we used to. We don't watch broadcast television.
Speaker 1: This is this is our memory care facility here, that's what this is. Everybody, half podcast, half early on set kind of therapy.
Speaker 2: I mean, if people knew the kinds of things that I send to you guys offline from Facebook as a result of Facebook, Like, do you think those people would do.
Speaker 1: You think they would be surprised? Is that what you're No, I don't, okay.
Speaker 2: But it would just show the depth that what is an interest to me that can't be of interest to anybody else on the planet Earth, which is like what we're the highest rated shows in nineteen sixty seven in.
Speaker 1: The discuss absolutely let me let me just say that Red.
Speaker 2: Skelton's Variety Show was the second highest rated television program in nineteen sixty seven. And let's just guess how many people listening to my voice right now know the name Red Skeleton.
Speaker 3: Well, thirty of this audience, eighty percent of this audience, because they're also pretty much in the same old agean we.
Speaker 2: Are, okay, all right, of average Americans?
Speaker 1: I once, yeah, I think that's a part of the pop culture umbrella would include TikTok Uh, and TikTok is a great place to watch TV if you don't want to see TV. For instance, I mentioned a while back that I hadn't seen that show Gilded Age, but I actually went into TikTok and I said Gilded Age, and there's like four like terrific scenes in it, and in the whole series, I think, and I saw, I saw them all, so I feel like I've seen the Guilded Age. There's also some weird dude, John, who is I think in some way probably has the other half of the amulet you carry around your neck, who is uploading the themes and title sequences to every night of primetime television from the seventies on. And he's very melogous. It's Wednesday in nineteen seventy three on NBC, and here's what you're watching. And then he shows you what you were watching on NBC. Sign severy three to me. Eventually, when the two of you meet, it's going to be like, you know, he's murder. He could write, well, he does that one too, he could you. I would not be surprised if you were once contacted by his doctor, because there you're a kidney match. Put it that way, there's something very close to it. So there's all sorts of there's also what we sometimes do, which is we just we don't have a weird topic that I mean, I chafe at because I just that's that's my personality. Uh, and we kind of just go off on little directions. We just kind of do our own, our own weird thing, all right.
Speaker 3: So, can I summarize the broad brushstrokes of this this not so much disagreement but uh and not in a conflict, but friction of visions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, oh here you go.
Speaker 2: Okay, so so so.
Speaker 3: John has been airing this reservation, these reservations about glop for a while now with me, and I've mostly rejected them, finding them fairly unpersuasive. And then in the wake of last month our last episode, John said, Okay, here's what I'm talking about. We try to talk about all these things and Rob just doesn't care about pop culture anymore.
Speaker 2: And he was like, nah.
Speaker 3: And since that episode was fairly fresh in my mind because this text came mere minutes after the show, I said, well, hey, that's a good point and we should talk about that.
Speaker 2: I and you make a very.
Speaker 3: Powerful case that basically what this podcast is, I mean, the glop culture, the pop culture part of it is.
Speaker 1: Part of the stick.
Speaker 3: But basically people tune in to listen to us gibbets and bigger and reminisce and whatnot, and they they tend to like it. And the fact that we're not doing what the mission and it originally was as.
Speaker 2: Much as we once were.
Speaker 3: Most people who listen, by definition of the fact that they're listening, they don't really give a rats ask. They just want to hear us. You know, Uh, what's the Yiddish word I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: It's kibbits. It's a kibbe, it's kibbits schnor no, that's not it a beggar. So anyway, snoring is begging. So all right, so let me put it this way. Let me let me just so, uh, I feel because in a weird way, hosting duties, not that there is a host, kind of devolved to me over time how this happened. So I feel like I.
Speaker 1: Have you'rey.
Speaker 3: Joy give the mic to John, he'll host anything, or like.
Speaker 2: A friend of mine realized he's an art historian and he was sort of a young art historian and came to get a job, his first tenure track job, and people were like, hey, you're great, you are the greatest thing ever. We want you to be chair of the department. And he was like, oh my god, I'm going to be chair of the department. And then he became chair of the department. Of course, they all closed the door and then burst out into gales of contemptuous left because this is the worst job in the world, actually, being a departmental chair at a second rank university where you have no disciplinary authority or anything over anybody and you just have to do administrative.
Speaker 1: Well, the new guy always gets a bad job. I mean I've heard this from like uh old the old but like middle middle career priests, episcopal priests, especially when he started out. You know, the guy running the church, the woman running church runs a little finger down the calendar. It sees what the electionary calendar is, what the readings are each Sunday. It decides that the Sunday where Jesus says like, hey, if you're divorced, you're going to Hell, or any of those really tough things. It's like, what is the new guy do the sermon on that one right, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, that's exactly it. So, so the hosting duty has devolved to me, and then I feel this kind of responsibility to introduce points of discussion, and Robin has been your increasing habits not increasing, and I do that to say, eh, so like.
Speaker 1: That's and that is a fair criticism, rob That is a fair I I I absolutely one hundred percent cop to it.
Speaker 2: I don't mind in the sense that then I think maybe you're saying, because all of these topics are boring, how do you feel about the fact that HBO went back to HBO Max And.
Speaker 1: I love that about that.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 4: We should talk about that because that's delicious. Yeah, okay, that's hilarious. Okay, So I guess what I mean is this is.
Speaker 1: That uh uh uh you ever gone on one of those well, I know, Joan of the answer to drones. Yes, you're going to one of those NR cruises.
Speaker 2: We've all we've all.
Speaker 3: We of this podcast stretched back into the Okay, so wow, you just came up with that right now.
Speaker 1: Well, back in the midst of I have an allergic reaction to the cruise industry and their need to corral you and organize you into areas in which you were told where to be at a certain time, even when that is inconvenience. So the idea, especially when you dis embark, there's this, well you're purple, so you you will, We'll call for purple. And I'm like, this is the stupidest thing. I'm not playing this game. And when they say, well you're doing I remember having it. I rarely have a Melton, Right, but are you calling me?
Speaker 2: Are you saying no?
Speaker 1: Because I think that was a well run ship. But I remember I went had dinner Julie McCoy, Yeah, exactly. Did it was an eight? No? No, I'm probably like the daughter, the little one on.
Speaker 2: The Amy Carter of the Pacific Prince. Yea the daughter he didn't know, the daughter, the daughter that the closet and Captain Stuming didn't know that he had as well.
Speaker 1: I love the idea that at no point with.
Speaker 2: Just so you know, I can't possibly have a daughter. Yeah, I guess I can't say that, right because it's nineteen seventy nine.
Speaker 1: Right, and ron bring her on and and and pay no attention to the fact that she lives in a cruise ship and is not being educated in any way that she doesn't do anything but work.
Speaker 2: She's learning the rules of rum sobbi and the last.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you because anybody, anybody who could teach that, it's Captain Meryl stupid. She's going to the mit of that anyway. So you have to sit down at eight o'clock. Sit down at eight o'clock, because that's why they tell you sit out. So he said, out for dinner eight o'clock, if you order your thing. And I wore your wine, and I were wine at the beginning of the week, and they keep bringing to you and then it sounds eight, and I say, bring me this, and bring me the wine and the bottle wine. And that's eight forty five and nine o'clock and they're basically clearing the table and I haven't had a glass of wine yet. So I called the guy, said, where the hell is my wine? Really I wanted the wine here. I'm here at eight, like, where's the wine? It's nine o'clock. I've had, you know. And he says this to me because he's the guy running the plate as well, you know. So it's very difficult for us because of course everybody comes at the same time. And I just shouted at him, that's because you made us. I would be happy to show up, not at time. This is a schedule that you have created. And he sort of looked at me. You know, it's always it's always a Pacific islander or a Malay person in those jobs for that reason, and he was struck by my rudeness. But that so, I do have a psychological problem about rules and order and calling a schedule and then being corralled. And sometimes I feel like, Okay, now we're gonna talk about a boring topic when we could we're almost on the edge of an interesting riff about something. Here's what here's what he's I'm going for for true, for true, for true glop fans, they'll get this. I'm going for some of that corn hole magic.
Speaker 2: You can't happen on his own. By the way, so Meryl Steuming was played by Gavin McLeod. Gavin McLeod in the sixties weighed one hundred pounds more than Gavin McLeod did in the seventies, and so he played literal heavies on every show ever. Mannix the Fugitive whatever. He was a big, hulking fat guy and then he lost all his weight went on the Mary Tyler Moore Show, as Murray did that and then was did the did the law. And what was interesting was how the weight covered up the fact that he was Faye. He didn't seem Faye as a big, hulking heavy on every television show. When he was liberated from his fleshly prison, he basically came out of his shell, shall we say? And of course we never met Murray's wife on the Mary Tyler Moore Show.
Speaker 3: And yes we did, Murray, Yes we did, Yes we did, we did, Yes we did.
Speaker 1: She was played by Joyce Boulevart. I believe.
Speaker 2: Joyce played Murray's wife.
Speaker 1: I believe she did.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, then I stand corrected. I actually now psychotic podcast after all, a psychotagram. I read Joyce's memoir, I did. I read her memoir. It was called My Five Hollywood Husbands. Literally, I can believe she was married to after she was married to Murray on the show, she was married to William Asher, who had been married to Elizabeth Montgomery and when they did Bewitched, and then she married William Asher. How's that for a thrilling piece of trivia about Joyce. Joyce ballafant?
Speaker 3: But are we actually saying, are we suggesting that Gavin McLeod in real life was gay or just the Meryl Steubing character presented as gay.
Speaker 2: No. I think Gavin McLeod presented as as as a classic Hollywood character actor of the Faye dis position he presented because I think he was married, you had kids.
Speaker 1: So do you ever remember tattle Tales that show tattle Tales and they would they would have like real couples, right, and then suddenly they would have like, like you know, Richard Deacon and Dody Goodman who were kind of not who were not a couple in the sense that Dody Goodman was not a man, but also just they were just it was, oh, no, you're gonna get And nobody ever said, oh, you guys are going out or anything. It was just we'll have Richard Deacon Doty Goodman. I remember that, and of course it didn't make an difference to me because I was a kid.
Speaker 2: What did I know?
Speaker 1: But he already this seems more interesting to me.
Speaker 2: Gavin McLeod, Well, now it's not became an evangelical Christian that I do know, but that was after that was like in the after the the eighties and the nineties anyway. So I just thought it was an interesting detail that he was once a fat guy and had a completely different affect from when he was a thin guy.
Speaker 1: Do you think that now? If you do, if you're going to reboot The Love Boat.
Speaker 2: They have rebooted The love Boat and it features and it features a throttle. It's called Doctor Odyssey. It's on ABC.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: See this gets us back to the problem that you're not paying attention to pop culture anymore.
Speaker 1: I really am not.
Speaker 2: Literally. So this show, which is produced by Ryan Murphy, is about a cruise ship. Don Johnson is the Meryl Stooping of the show. Jeremy Jackson, Joshua Jackson, who was on Dawson's Creek, is doctor. And then there are two nurses, one played by Philip as Sue is a nurse. Two nurses. It's like a partly a medical drama, the medical drama set on a cruise ship.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: Every episode. Well, so here's the thing. It isn't a preposterous but there's a love triangle. And the love triangle is that Philip is Sue, the beautiful nurse who was who was Eliza, and Hamilton Uh is torn between the other nurse who is I think a Hispanic guy, and Joshua Jackson, who is the doctor. Doctor No, then they have a throuple. Then they literally she sleeps with Joshua Jackson. On the next episode she sleeps with the other guy, and then on the third episode they actually end the episode having a throupple. On network tep, I believe perhaps last on network television, because give Bryan Murphy, you're going to give Ryan Murphy a show broadcast television. He is going to try to introduce we used.
Speaker 1: To like we used to. We would get calls this is the nineties where they'd say, you know, listen, you know you said ass, like last week and the week before, and this week you're saying, you know, bastard, can it's your fault?
Speaker 2: Can you not? You know? Can you? Can you not?
Speaker 1: Next week? No ass? Can you just know? No ass? For the rest of the season.
Speaker 2: You've hit your ass quota and.
Speaker 1: You hit your quote. And and then when I was doing another show on the ad supporting case.
Speaker 2: Phrase Captain Steubing never heard because he had a different port.
Speaker 1: To another show. Later on, Uh, you could say ship, but not if it referred to feces. Huh. You you can say, I look at all that shit, Oh that was bullshit. You know, everything you're saying is shit.
Speaker 2: This is all shit.
Speaker 1: But if you said, oh that that dog took a ship over there, they would say, oh, you can't do that.
Speaker 2: You do that.
Speaker 1: And so now on broadcast TV, Little Dawson's Creek can have a threatle have a three way.
Speaker 2: Now. So Eli Lake has a fantastic podcast out just now about Lenny Bruce, and he actually says, look, here's the story of Lenny Bruce. Lenny Bruce, the you know, the sick comic who literally was thrown in jail for making a joke about Jackie Kennedy like he was. He went to jail for making a joke about Jackie Kennedy running away from the bullet when when Jay.
Speaker 1: Was shot, she kind of did.
Speaker 2: That was his point. That was offensive, trying to buy out the year was this? This was nineteen sixty four, So there's anyway, right, No, but nobody here the too soon factor here, right. But the reason that I'm bringing this up is that Eli, it's a brilliant podcast talking about how all of this ruined Lenny Bruce and like nine years late. You know, five years later, Midnight Cowboy wins the Oscar Like that that the the moment at which obscenity disappeared from our entire understanding of the of you know, what was right and wrong and how things went was so fast and so quick that not only Lady Bruce died overdosed and died in nineteen sixty five, had he just lived a couple more years, he would have been just fine, like nobody would have left him alone. Well, but this rate, And then Eli says, well, I mean, does Lenny Bruce deserve some censure or the world in which there was there were people who wanted to throw Lenny Bruce and Jail's also world that did not have pornography on an iPhone. And we live in this world you in which a five year old can find porn on an iPhone. What are the two connected? Can you? Can you prevent pornography from being on an iPhone without having the standards that would lead you to throw Lenny Bruce in jail? And that's an unanswerable question, but it is sort of suggested by this Ryan Murphy story. Right, you were very eager to say ass in nineteen ninety three, and then in twenty twenty five, Ryan Murphy has Thrupples on ABC in prime time that there that the slippery slope was real, and it wasn't just slippery, it was like retigenous. It was like falling off a cliff, you know. I mean the neighborhood that Joan and I lived in in nineteen sixty three, there was a movie theater called the Midtown, which was a third rate theater, and by the time I was seven years old at ninety ninth and Broadway, it was a hardcore porn theater that I walked by every day on my way to school, with hardcore porn pictures, you know, with posters and everything right there. That was again, five years after Lenny Bruce went to jail for obscenity and you know, essentially seditious libel or something like that. It's just sort of an interesting phenomenon that it is okay for Ye Murphy to do a thrupple on sure sure.
Speaker 3: So I mean, look, I so I have a couple of different views on this.
Speaker 2: First of all, you see this in a lot of different ways.
Speaker 3: Right, Poor Judge Ginsburg, who turned out he smoked pot, lost a shot at the Supreme Court, and then five years later it's like Ganjamin, who cares?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: I mean, these things happened really fast. Without getting too philosophical about any of this, I I think you can have a society that says no porn on iPhones, but it requires the will power to do it, But I think I think it's worth thinking about. I agree a lot of taboos have disappeared, but that doesn't mean we don't have taboos.
Speaker 1: They just yeah, what is taboo?
Speaker 2: Changes?
Speaker 3: And it's sort of like my thing about censorship. I used to love getting into big arguments with libertarians who said they were against all forms of censorship. And I would be like, okay, so like hardcorese enough films on Saturday morning TV, You're fine with that, you know uh? And they're like, well, no, no, of course not, that's not that's that's not that's just community standards, you know, or whatever, right, And so there are all sorts of things we Irvan Crystal used to make this point is that censorship is one of these words that we only use for the censorship. We don't like everything else. We just don't call it censorship community standards.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like.
Speaker 2: Eli points out Eli points out that that in comedy, right, bocuness has now been seems to have been overturned. Right that guy Tony Hinchcliff made the joke about Puerto Rican's at the Trump rally. He's doing fine. Now you can use party again all of this. The one word that you cannot say, right George Carlin said there were seven words you couldn't say on television. There is one word you cannot say period anywhere ever, and that's the end word. Right. That is a thing where.
Speaker 1: That that's still a thing, that's still a thing.
Speaker 2: Unless you're black, or you're in you're a rapper.
Speaker 1: Or unless you're unless you were you know, a middle aged Jewish comedy writer in the nineteen seventies writing for Sanford and Son. Right, right, then you could then you could use but let me let me just your two end points here. From my own career, I used to do my Martini shot, my famous Martini shot, which of course everybody loves. I used to do it for the Irish radio or it was on Irish radio, and I did one that was I thought was completely benign, in which I made a I told a story about James conn on a BBC documentary about Hollywood in the late eighties, in which he said, you know, Hollywood location shootings terrible. People always think of it's so glamorous, location shootings, the words shooting a movie on location is really really awful. It's like Auschwitz. And we thought that was hilarious, and so from the from that day on in the office, we would say, yet, we're out of the little bottles of Evyon, what is this Auschwitz? I wanted to turn to smoke turkey wrap, not the regular roasted turkeys. This is Auschwitz, which we thought was very, very funny. Of course it's not, and uh and then some it's some. The point was, somebody takes that joke home from the writer's room, and that's a terrible idea. And somebody took that joke home to Thanksgiving when I think it was like, there was only three kinds of pie, and he's only three kinds of pie? What is this Auschwitz? And he forgot that his wife's grandfather who was there was the survivor.
Speaker 2: Ha ha ha.
Speaker 1: Did I get an email saying Hi, we had some we had a complaint about your martini shots. Are really gonna have to take a pause on it for now because and I said, well, but but I was making I was joking. It was a joke. It was I was talking about how this is outrageous, but it didn't work. So then yesterday or two days ago, whatever whenever, it dropped, because that's what happens when podcasts they drop, this one will drop. I was talking about when I was in the hospital a few years ago for uh for vertigo. But I was being we didn't know it was ver to go until we thought it was a stroke. And I woke up one kind of terrified in my hotel, I mean my hotel, my in my hospital bed and looked up and saw my neurology consult pet a staff there from Letex Hill Neurology neurological department, and every single one of the doctors, and he was about a dozen in a semi circle around my hospital a bit. We're either Asian or South Asian. And I thought to myself, I'm gonna be okay. And I said this on NATIVZ shat yes two days ago, and I'm still waiting to see if it doesn't be any push back at all. So I think I can say evidence example, a h E A wokenus is near dead. Look, we all want Wocus to be dead. We all want it to be dead. I didn't really want it to be dead so that Martyr Made could talk about how Winston Churchill was the great villain of the Second World War, and so that Kanye West could release a song called Hyley Hitler.
Speaker 2: That wasn't why I thought Vocus should die. Was too free up. You can't tatzism. I mean, okay, but that's the point, which is when you also when you suppress, and then the suppression is ended violently right by like the result of this twenty twenty four election. You have no idea how it's going to how the how the expression that has been sp is going to explode.
Speaker 5: Out, But you know it's going to be horrible, right, It's not going to be someone's.
Speaker 2: Not going to write Ulysses, right, you know that's not right. So the censorship battles of the early twentieth century were making sure that great novels with erotic themes like Ulysses or Lady Child's Lover or something like that, we're not we're not kept out of the public view by censors who were unable to grasp that they were works of value. And but that's not what you're going to get.
Speaker 1: Now, well, that's not usually what you get. We get more of culture and more of pop culture. You're gonna get more crap. That's just the way it is. More or more ship. You could say that now what we're saying it right here right now.
Speaker 2: So I think the last book banned in Boston was like not it was well into the sixties.
Speaker 1: Oh you know what book was it?
Speaker 2: You know? I don't, I don't.
Speaker 1: It's a great some crap, prob great Dick Cavit joke, he said once about the Now, this is completely not this, this idea does not connected to what you just said. But he just said that. It was like you know that old story about it. You know, a thousand monkeys and a thousand typewriters will eventually produce works of Shakespeare. And they actually did an experiment with a thousand monkeys and a thousand typewriters in a room, and they didn't write any work of Shakespeare. But four of them wrote Bally of the Dolls. Okay, first great joke, by the way.
Speaker 2: I looked it up, and it's a great joke. I looked it up. Naked Lunch was the last okay, last book band in Boston in nineteen sixty five. But of course there are plenty of book bands that aren't the that aren't the sexually restrictive censorship. Right. There are book bands all over the place. There there are kind of do you remember the kind of weird moral panic over American Psycho? Ellis's American Psycho, which is a satire, which is a book about uh yuppies being materialist ciphers who do everything that everybody else does and have no souls and therefore, you know, are all It takes it to the point where they not only dressed like this and listen to Phil Collins and do this and do that, but like are willing to kill people and eat them and get away with it.
Speaker 1: Phil Collins was the gateway drug.
Speaker 2: But that's in the book. Patrick Bateman is obsessed with is obsessed with Phil Collins.
Speaker 5: Another movie, by the way, American Psycho is a It was a hard satire and people like Kurt Anderson of Spy supported its suppression, but people wanted Random House to pulp the book because they found it so disgusting.
Speaker 2: I actually think it's kind of brilliant, uh As Ellis can be and and.
Speaker 1: You know it's he's super right wing right now, or it's just not.
Speaker 2: I get you something. But that that book, by the way, all of his work is like his Lesson zero is a book about soulless material. You know, it's he's almost well a back or somebody like that.
Speaker 1: He's like but like, it's like, is there that is a weird social movement that I don't I'm gonna refer. I'm going to defer to Joanah on this.
Speaker 2: Has it ever?
Speaker 1: Has this actually happened before? Where you have a bunch of people who in this weird to punch drunk kind of reaction to wokeism and censorship. And also now uh Hamas and Gaza have found themselves. You know, if you were a liberal and you were like, well, I'm you know, I'm a liberal, so I'm a free hentoff liberal and free speech liberal, and I also think that Israel's are right to exist and to defend itself. And suddenly you find yourself kind of marching in a parade with a bunch of right wing kooks. Right, you know what I mean, just bad.
Speaker 4: But let's do it reverse. So the age you don't do it my way. I don't do it verse yet.
Speaker 2: Now I want to do it reverse because I thought of an interesting verse example. So the ACLU existed as the absolutist free speech organization, right, That's what it was there for, to say the First Amendment gives you the right to pretty much do anything. And that was season Skokie, right, Na, Season Skokie. And then in the twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen the head lawyer of the New York Civil Liberties Union was a guy named Chase Strange EO. And Chase Strange GEO decided he.
Speaker 1: Was not that was that was not his name.
Speaker 2: That is Strangeo. That is actually his name. That's like the Beavis and butt Head cornfolio. Yeah. To bring it back to yes, yes.
Speaker 1: A Strange Geo, Nazis and Skokie.
Speaker 2: That Chase Stranger would enjoy TP for his bunkhole as as I will explain, because he became. His idea was that the the the ACLU and the NYL you should become advocates for the suppression of books about and articles and things like that about trans that he didn't like.
Speaker 1: I see, so he literally hants to change you O. So he probably his name probably isn't change.
Speaker 2: He just.
Speaker 3: Okay, So he was Phil status quoio, and then he was Phil Danglio.
Speaker 2: Demanded that that Amazon suppress Abbiel Schreyer's book Irreversible Damage out of his post at the American Civil Liberties Union or the New York branch of the American Civil Liberties Union. So you had this weird thing that happened, okay, and that's the River twenty tens. Right. So now, if you're a free speech advocate, right, the question now is.
Speaker 1: That's what I guess what I went from Joan is like that has that ever happened before? As the cultural movement historian.
Speaker 3: I'm hard pressed to think of a cultural analog. But like, I don't know, like the I mean, the way you were describing it originally about you find yourself marching in lockstep with right wing, which.
Speaker 1: Is marching in the same parade, I mean maybe not, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like so the popular front stuff of the nineteen nineteen thirties, right was I was recently rereading chunks of Witness for this piece I wrote for Dispatcher about some of this stuff. Like part of what he talks about confronting was what he called the popular Front mind and which is this this idea that you have to have complete solidarity with your side, And of course it never actually works that way because the people who are really enforcing the popular Front crap the communists.
Speaker 2: In this case, the stalin is the second they could throw other members of the faction under.
Speaker 1: The blast, they would.
Speaker 2: I mean, they have no solidarity for anybody. They want everything. It's a one way or it's one way thing.
Speaker 3: And it's very similar to the MAGA stuff these days, where you criticize Trump or anything in MAGA and you get this, I guess you don't believe in Reagan's eleventh commandment and they're like, why are you, like, you know, get on the get on board. And then the second you know you're problematic for anything, you cuck rhino squish. You know, they have no problem throwing anybody else under the bus. And I think there's a lot of popular frontism, and I think the ACOU stuff is sort of an example of that, where no one wants to stay in their lane and actually do the job of their institution. You know, remember the Poetry Foundation during the Black Lives Matter thing were basically they were ordered to demonstrate their racial enlightenment by essentially like dismantling their own organization, quitting all their jobs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, so I think there is there are some versions of this, but they're I mean, what happens is that people have their eyes opened to the intolerances and smallnesses and totalitarian tendencies of their own side. That happens on both sides of the aisle, and then the question is what is it that they can tolerate, What is it about the other side that they can't stand, and can they can they make their peace with the things they can't stand on the other side, because the other side at least isn't trying to make sure that they end up in jail for having the views that they might have. Right, That's the sort of the neo The story of the neo Conservatives is they could no longer affiliate themselves with a Democratic Party controlled by the mcgovernites, which was that we're actively rooting for an American loss in Vietnam. That was not you know, as Prooffrock would say, that was not it at all. That's not what that they could stand for. And so they sort of tried to save the Democratic Party and that didn't go anywhere, and then they sort of had a choice, which is could they make their peace on the right, and then could they make their peace with Republicans. And that was a ten or fifteen year journey for a lot of people who couldn't imagine, particularly Jews, couldn't imagine being that way with Republican Party because the old Republican Party was kind of genteel, anti Semitic country Republicanism. But it's a journey, and there are people who are on that journey from left to right now. It's just that people do seem to shift a lot faster, just like everything is fast.
Speaker 3: But I'm you know, I'm fascinated by all that stuff, and it is worth pointing out. I agree that the shifts are faster, but if you go back and you look at you know, I don't want to get too close to home. But basically, everybody, every one of the neocons, with very few exceptions, some exceptions. The gateway drug was foreign policy for the nineteen seventies ones right right. For the nineteen sixties ones, it's great society stuff. And for the nineteen fifty ones, I would argue, you know, like half of the founders of National Review were all ex communists, and I still think that they followed the Neocon playbook. It was communism, right, So like it's these different domestic communisms as much as anything. But what is remarkable is you have a gateway drug of a single issue, and it's not very long until you know, Charles Crowdhammer is just a full fledged conservative on almost every issue. It's not very long. Your dad, you know, came over for a specific reason. It became basically a full fledged conservative. Bill Bennett, you go down a very long list, and I think there's something about the cognitive dissonance of being of switching aside, where you try to hold on tight to all your old positions. It's catch one and it gets really hard, and you start listening to your friends and they get more persuasive, and I'm I'm not saying it's an intellectually dishonest thing or anything like that, but it is a fascinating sort of thing to see. Nat Glazer basically had to like get and and and what's his name, the first founder of the Public Interest. They, yeah, Bell, some of those guys who were part of all that stuff, they had to kind of pull back and hide a bit because the poll of just having to join check all the boxes seemed to be pretty strong.
Speaker 2: And they and they didn't want to and they in the end Nat and Daniel bellnck Glazer and did not so they were founding the Conserve. They did not end up there. They ended up as kind of as kind of moynihan liberal I don't know even know there was no place for them, but they they were. They remained discomfited mostly by the by the by the Christian right, and they they could not make their peace with any of that or or with really serious like with untrammeled free market.
Speaker 3: Sure, but the exceptions are more are few and far between, but they do exist. And meanwhile, I think it's it's kind of amazing how and we don't because some of these people are our friends. We don't need to get into all that. But like, there are a bunch of people on the anti Trump side who have just basically become liberal Democrats now. And I think it's for the same reasons. It's wanting to have a team and and beyond the team.
Speaker 2: And I will say this, I will say.
Speaker 1: This, by the way, so is Trump a little bit That's like pretty soon those are friends who are now liberal Democrats will notice that he's also in the room.
Speaker 2: But I mean, i'll give it.
Speaker 1: I'll give you following you along whatever you join he joins.
Speaker 2: So I'll give you an example. Two issues that that were not neocon issues, uh, that were enormously important to the right, but we're not neocon issues guns and abortion. Guns and abortion not important in neocons who were foreign policy or when they were domestic policy. The central concepsia of the of of neo conservatism was they're trying, they're trying to do all this stuff and it's not going to work right, It's not going to work, and it's going to make everything the The intentions may be good, but they're going to make everything worse, and it's going to be a huge mess. And the great Society is going to be a huge mess. It has bad incentives and perverse incentives, and and better not to do it and mess much everything up. But that wasn't more. The moral frame was your goals are admirable, Your your your stratagems are not right.
Speaker 1: I just want to know. I'm not trying to interrupt, but I just want to note we started talking about Joyce Boulevont now and this.
Speaker 2: Is what we getting you right now. Joyce balf voted for voting for Trump.
Speaker 1: I'm sure this is what we do.
Speaker 3: And this is the only podcast where you can get yes, you get that, you get the high and the low, and then and where a person uses the word conceptsia, yeah, concept.
Speaker 2: Okay, but here's what I here's what just so, I didn't care about guns, I don't care about a boy. I really don't care about guns and an abortion, but so I am. I find myself in close proximity to people who care about these issues more than they care about anything else. And when you don't really care about things, you don't read about them all. You know, you don't pay much attention to them. They bore you or they're not that interesting. And then you start having conversations with people about this because they're interesting and they interest you, and they start telling you things and you start reading up on it, and you're like, you know what, these are really interesting, complicated matters, and you know, don't be so quick to say I'm pro choice. You know, I was there myself with my wife and you know, in the in the doctor's office looking at the fetal heartbeat and saying that's a living creature in there, right, you know, I mean stuff like that, Like there's also I mean, you're open to things that you they really ever think you needed to be open to, although.
Speaker 3: I would argue that the catalyst is often different. It's less that it makes you open to the new things. It's that you start talking to your old friends from your old position and they're like, how can you be part of the party that supports guns or the supports pro life or whatever? And you get defensive, and so you start trying to come up with arguments right to defend your associations, and it turns out the arguments aren't as stupid as the people on the other side always thought they were. And does I mean they're necessarily right or wrong, But my point is that they're more complicated.
Speaker 2: Than people think.
Speaker 1: There's a theologian named Richard Rohorr who's written a little bit about this, not quite the idea of like ideas shifting, but the idea that you as long as you maintain this sort of studious ignorance of the value of the person that you're against right or the person that you disagree with, you feel safe and so that's why you want to do it. But the minute, for whatever reason, that wall is broken. Sometimes broken because you're just you're reaching out to somebody that you love, who you disagree with, or because there's a bigger issue that draws you there. That's when things start to get really really uncomfortable for people, which is I think, what what? I don't know? He would say, that's the goal is to be uncomfortable. I will say just as a as a as a show business anecdote, because that's my job. Here. I was walking it's a National View conference, isn't this is not maybe thirty years ago maybe walking down some walking down this long path in the Centry Park Hotel in La with Tom Selleck and Tom was gonna post that was going to be see the dinner or something. We're walking down and uh uh. The first person we passed it was leaving another event in the hotel was Liza Minelli and who just ran after. You know, there are weird time. It's just some terrific it just terrific and she had just done something and uh and and he said, well great to see you, and she had such great to see you. It's look good to see you a big kiss, we said, walking and said, I don't know you.
Speaker 2: I've never met her before.
Speaker 1: It we're walking around the outside, you know how the outside of these conferences always people with with tables and things. And some guy runs up. The little guy runs up to him and he's wearing this vest with all these buttons on it, and he goes, I'm so glad to know that you're one of us, Tom, and Tom so I was like, well, I don't know who what you are? You got any points to all the buttons because you've got a lot going on there, just very much. And you look at the buttons, and buttons are all that crazy, like you know, the kinds of things that were alarming back then, but now would would be completely normal. Uh and would probably that guy could, as far as I know, could be actually in the Trump administration now. He seems to have the right views. But that is that is the case. You like, you see something, you're one of me?
Speaker 2: Now, I'm I'm with you.
Speaker 1: Now, who slow down?
Speaker 3: Well, you know a bit of a tangent, but I don't want to lose the ability to get the story I probably told last time on here nine years ago. But when you brought up Conceptsia the Housekeeper, which I take prilosect for the Back in my early days when I was a television producer working out of AI, me and my buddies, we had this parlor game where we would try to find examples of people using foreign words where English words would be just fine for the pretentiousness of it, right, And we had contests and we would find you know, you'd be reading the New Criteria and you find something commentary whatever, and you find.
Speaker 1: Something and then a new criteria Scott Scott nickol.
Speaker 2: Wait, I got a good new Criteria, Scott Nick Lucas, John, you've Matt. He was at my roast, right, you know, he comes running in like he won the lottery.
Speaker 3: And because he was reading a piece I believe by Michael Jos Flajos, who's a smart guy. I'm not trying to denounce him or anything like that. But he had written something for the American Spectator where he said, and I can't remember the exact context, but it was and so we have to dig deeper into this con zept.
Speaker 2: And he spelt concept in the German with the K.
Speaker 3: And like like sort of like rob with the what is this Auschwitz thing? But the next five years, anytime said hey you want to go at some wings?
Speaker 1: Interesting?
Speaker 2: My favorite, my favorite new criterionism It wasn't wasn't the use of a foreign word, but but but it is the adoption of britishisms that are that are bizarrely out of place or inappropriate. And the best one was a sentence in which somebody this was Todd Lindberg's favorite. He's the one who discovered this. That there was a passage and he said, aha, someone wrote, you know this is it the smoking pistol as it were the smoking pistol as this you know anyway, So yes, so the so if you're if you're blaming me for saying conceptci I know.
Speaker 3: So again, I just want to keep calling back to previous bits of the conversation speaking of the N word, Uh, my dad and britishisms. My dad had a business partner in the UK who or a consultant that he worked with, very nice guy, Oxford Don Good, fifteen twenty years older than my dad, and they were talking about some sales rights thing in the UK media market and there are a bunch of people on the call and this guy, very enlightened, sweet British guy, Oxford guy, he says, and I'm going to boulderize it for our purposes because he can't say it.
Speaker 2: He says, hm on.
Speaker 3: The question of rights on that, I think we have a bit of an N word in the woodpile. Yeah, and his total deafening silence. Oh god, Yeah, my dad was like, Peter, we don't. We don't really use that phrase anymore.
Speaker 1: But like, on another note, my favorite Agatha Christie novel is Let's go Smoke some faggots.
Speaker 2: But that's the story. Agatha Christie's most famous novel until.
Speaker 1: A play, right was it a play too? But I think Indians.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was to be called ten Little Indians. Oh, in America was called ten Little Indians. It was called ten little n words. And when they when they made the movie, there's actually a great movie made out of it because it's basically one of these everyone.
Speaker 1: Died, everyone.
Speaker 2: Called, and then there were none.
Speaker 1: And then there were none. Is the name of the novel.
Speaker 2: It was was how Hollywood dealt with the but I mean that's how that's how a word. It was in the English language.
Speaker 1: I played the judge writer in England, I played the judge in that in the High school, and it was the job I was well, I had a very specific conception that role. No, but I uh I uh okay, this is another you know, name dropping Hollywood anecdote, this time a slightly bigger star for you. I've worked for years intermittently, happily but intermittently on a project that I was pretty sure was going to never go uh with Morgan Freeman, and I spent a lot of time with him. It was a lovely, really thoughtful, incredibly smart guy, been around like just could tell great stories and just a wonderful guy. So I would fly to Mississippi where he lived a lot of the time. He was born in Charleston, Mississippi, and we would you have dinner and he'd tell me stories. And we were working on a story set in the Mississippi Delta, which actually was turned out was a great great would have been a great series. And then he had a car accident, a lot of other things happened, so we didn't quite make it. Uh, But he told me he would tell me each time, he would tell me stories of encountering uh uh old Mississippi guys, old Mississippi white guys.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: And he was a movie star, so they won't talk to him, and the things that they would say. And he said, this one old guy he likes very much, so he's a friend of his. But the old guy would talk about At one point said they're there. They're having a drink because Morgan had and a friend of his who's also helped on this project. They owned this giant blues club called Ground Zero and Morgan, so they're sitting there having drink and he goes, yeah, Morgan, I can't tell you how different my life is now and how different I am and my thoughts about you know, the various social and cultural things that you Yeah, exactly. He's basically making this kind of confession about how he's changed over time, and he says, you know, for instance, I I'll be honest with you, when I's growing up for a long time, I would use the N word, and my my, my father, my grandfather, the whole family they used it. I mean, we used it all the time. And I will not use that word. I would never use that word, and I will tell the young people in my world that that word is absolutely you did not allowed to use the N word. And then he said you pause, took a sip of his drink. But on the other hand, you know, I hear the Ends using it all the time. The Ends are driving up and down they listen to their their music. That end music's got that word an word in all time. But the Ends just love that word more. You just love that story so much. You didn't wait to tell me that story.
Speaker 2: Oh that is fantastic, by the way, Just cultural recommendation time. Speaking of Mississippi, this uh you know movie Sensation Centers, which came out about a month ago. Yeah, with Michael B. Jordan, a story about twin brothers returning to their hometown in Mississippi and getting in order to open a big blues club juke joy like the one that you're talking about in the middle of the depression, and uh get get waylaid by some vampires. And it is fantastic, which great idea it is a It is a The movie itself is spectacular, and it deals with all kinds of weird. Basically, it's kind of the story of Robert Johnson, the famous, the famous, the mythical, mythical guitar blues guitarist.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I can't see that movie because somebody explained that to me. And it was exactly what we were trying to do. We were trying to do this multi generational in and out, past and present, because there's no spookier place in America than the city, and it's got all this great story. It's just too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Robert Johnson the story, well, Robert Johns the story. Robert Johnson was a young uh blues guitarist and he was terrible. He was terrible, and they were hooting him off the stage. I mean, I wrote that I have a scene written and he goes uh and he leaves and he's sitting in the crossroads over sixty one and something else, and it happens to be a full moon and suddenly there's an old man sitting next to him and it's the Devil. And that was good. That was the part that Morgan was gonna play. He was gonna play the devil who has been living in the Delta forever and just he's always there and the guy is a Robert Johnson, and he basically makes a deal because the Mississippi Delta is like, we're a million deals being made, and he wants to he wants to play the guitar because the reading exactly right. It's the cutter of the He wants play guitar because he's like been, he's been dissed by all these all the hot girls in the club. Nobody wants to do anything with anything to do with him because he can't play. And so he sells his soul and comes back to the club, disappears for about a year, comes back to the club. But this is all true, though. He did disappear for a year and come back, and he's one of the best loose guitars, if not, he created this and he created the whole genre. And and you know that kicked off the show. It's a great story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean right, So the idea of how did this kid couldn't play here come back as the greatest guitarist anyone had ever heard? And the story was, obviously he must have sold his soul to the devil. And so this is one of the great American myths and it is at the center of Centers. And I really do highly recommend Centners, but not to rob because it is really awful, I have to say. And I've known people who have had this experience when when somebody makes something that you wrote and then does it like and you're like, I don't care if it's good.
Speaker 1: I'm never going to know the worst thing in the world is.
Speaker 2: Great. Yeah. So I Jonah's mother and I became friends because.
Speaker 1: I came winter how that sentence went.
Speaker 2: In nineteen eighty two because I had an idea for a humor book, and it was a parody, full on cover to cover of TV Guide, like a week of TV Guide. And this was when parody books were like all the rage. And my idea is we would do a fake issue of TV Guide, like the Sunday newspaper parody that National Impoon put out or the Yuppi Handbook or something like that, and the week and it was really good. And I'm telling you right now, it was really really good. And we did you know, I don't know. I did twenty five pages of it, a day's worth of listings, articles, whatever, and then was gonna and the day that we were taking it out to market, somebody bought one. Yeah, you know this firm, Andrews and McNeil or whatever they decided they were going to They made a deal with Tony Hendra or somebody like that to do a TV Guide parody. And I was heartbroken. And then it came out a year later and it's steak and it was a complete bomb in the marketplace, and that was very satisfying that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's worse because then you're like, well, well we have a good one, like, no, we've tried it, and that happens and Joe is a lot. We've tried it. It doesn't work. What do you mean it doesn't work?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Everything can work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, now you could just put out what you did on the internet, but then it had to it was going to be mimetically perfect and all of that. That is a that is a that is a rough.
Speaker 1: That is a rough.
Speaker 2: Go all right, so I guess waiting it? Are we just going to keep doing this? Is that?
Speaker 1: That was a fun conversation, don't you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And because you're yeah, no, it was was fine.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: It was wait, voice, what up? When your voice goes up like that?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe we can't. Maybe we should change the name of this HBO he Max bought Max Max klob.
Speaker 2: So it was HBO Max. First it was HBO, then it was HBO Go, then it was HBO Max, then it was Max and now it is HBO Max again. Right, okay, here's my quick question for you, David Zaslov, who now is the runs Warner Brothers Discovery, which is the parent company ran Discovery, right that we ran the Discovery networks, which were wildly successful and so successful that this guy five six, seven years ago made and I'm not kidding, in salary one hundred and fifty million dollars a year in salary at Discovery. So the engineered this thing. Discovery kind of takes over Warner Brothers and he's running everything after at and T screws up and all this okay, and he's now making fifty million, one hundred and fifty million. Now I'm expect and people are saying okay, And people are saying okay, people are saying, this is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. What do you mean? They're calling it HBO. They could have just why did they ever change? This is this is what you get, This is the innovation, this is what's going to turn the company around. What the hell is going on? And I keep having these experiences, particularly when I read about show business or about mergers or about anything, where it's like, really, these people make one hundred million dollars a year. And this is what they do. Explain this.
Speaker 1: To I have a metric that I intend to use like it's like it's the base input is number of meetings. So the number of meetings that this calling it HBO, HBO Go, HBO max max and back to HBO max. The number of meeting and meeting hours supposed to have been well, number meetings must have been at least two dozen, so the number of eighty hours must have been at least a thousand, probably a thousand hours of either consultant time or an executive time to do basically nothing. And the problem with HBO and HBO max and max and HBO max has nothing to do with what they called it right there, the amount of effort and money and time spent trying to fix a thing that isn't. The problem is everything you need to know about why they show businesses in trouble and maybe why businesses get in trouble.
Speaker 2: So, Rob, you wrote a really great piece for me, thank you, thank you about bob Iger bob Iger, Yeah, out of Disney and basically based on his using his memoir, and the question is bob Iger was this wildly successful, like the most successful entertainment executive of his time and took Disney to New Heights and all this, and he wrote this book called Right of a Lifetime or something like that, and the book begins with him deciding in twenty fifteen to have an off site with all of his lead saying, we need to make our path for the future. And it's going to be streaming because you can see Netflix here it is and Netflix and streaming and Netflix and this whole thing basically is his bid for immortality in the book by saying that unlike other corporate executives who sat on their laurels and missed the moment, he had jumped on it early. He had seen the threat, he had addressed it, he was working on it. And you know, three years later or something that they introduce, you know, Disney Plus, and isn't this fantastic? Okay? Flash forward, it's twenty twenty five and Disney Plus has materially destroyed Marvel.
Speaker 1: And Star Wars, the two.
Speaker 2: Things that they bought. Disney Plus said to Marvel, make us twelve television series and they did. And now nobody cares about Marvel anymore because there was too much of it and it was too junkie, and this incredible cash cow and the driver of show business for twenty years was ruined. And even though and or the latest Star Wars thing is great, it is great, it is great, did exactly the same to Star Wars series after some bad series, after the Acolyte at Obi Wan Kenobi and the Book of Boba Fett and this and that, and they created this series. They created the service to save Disney, and they basically killed their milkcows and they over milked their milk cows and now they're ruined. And it's interesting because had he just retired, had he just retired and gone off into the sunset and not come back or whatever, had he not done this and he had just like, oh, you know what, it's twenty eighteen. I guess we better have a good streaming service. We'll just do it in a year and we'll throw some stuff up and see what happens. He wouldn't have had this drive to copy Netflix and and try to compete there when Disney was doing just fine.
Speaker 1: Where it was yep, yep.
Speaker 2: It's like the fear of not being innovative ended up being.
Speaker 1: There is a thing called pilot induced turbulence. And it's when you're flying and your hand is on the stick and you maybe hit a little buck, small buck, and then you compensate for that, and then because you compensated, maybe you overcompensate a little bit, and then you kind of now you need to recompensate for that, and then compensate for that, and before you know it, you're convinced that you've hit choppy air because you keep bouncing up and down. But actually you've created all that turbulence yourself. And so they sometimes that happens in a big car. They always hit a little your cabinet, me a little choppy air up here. So I'm gonna put on a he did it, he created it. It's because you just script it to tight.
Speaker 2: Jonah blame the captain. Then Jonah hates Jonah is the person I know who flies the most, who hates flying the most.
Speaker 1: Fair.
Speaker 2: It's really not fair. And I think you should go and yell at the captain.
Speaker 1: Just pound on the door. They love that, They love that.
Speaker 2: And you know you're not going to get in trouble or anything, but.
Speaker 1: Put on a fun accent.
Speaker 2: They have guns now, they are they are?
Speaker 3: They not allowed to carry guns. I love to do is yellar? That's great coffee anyway?
Speaker 2: And or is great? I mean, Andre just finished unbelievably innovative second season. Did this thing where they released three episodes per week each. These three episodes are take place each a year apart, as we approach closer and closer to the moment that theos are sent to Aldron Tattooine and Luke finds them and sees the hologram of Princess Leah saying help me Obi wan Kenobi are my only hope? That was That's the entire backstory. Wow, twenty seven hours of backstory and it's back to that moment. I know we got to get out.
Speaker 3: But you know, one of my my my basic take about why it's so good, unlike so much other stuff, is that one of the first rules of fantasy stuff, of escapism, sci fi, whatever, is you have to take yourself. You have to take your actual product seriously. And so much of the Star Wars stuff you saw it with the problem with George Lucas was he had little kids when he was making those prequels and they were his test audience, and so they're all of these scenes in those originals, not the originals in the sequels sequel prequel sequels, Attack of the Clone, Revenge of the Cess, where they basically wink or make inside jokes that only work in our universe, right, that.
Speaker 2: Like like like little sort of cutesy.
Speaker 3: Oh that's got to hurt, right, And these kinds of references that take you out of things. And we I wrote about a little bit for the commentary piece about Battlestar Galactago where where Obi Wan Kenobi, young Obi Wan Kenobi has to get a little dig in against George w. Bush with you know, uh when when Young Anakin Skywalker says if you're not with me, you're against me, which was like obviously a reference to the whole Moor Entior stuff, and and George and and George Lucas the rose away the entire metaphysics of the Force by saying only sith deals and absolutes. Well, wait a second, I'm a burkiyan, I'm with you. But the whole point of the freaking Force was there's a light side of the dark slide was mannekean, and there's all these things that they throw out and and or gets back to this thing where it takes itself seriously and lets you take it seriously in a way that you can't with a lot of those other crap that they put out.
Speaker 2: See what I love about it, what I loved about it, and by the way, I love it even though I hate its politics. It's basically a Howard Zinn story. And you know, there's a lot of There's a lot there, just as there's the cyth deals and absolutes. There's a whole Fox News subplot there is, I mean, but it's done so much better. It's not cartoony, so no, it's so it's it's it's beautifully dumb, but it is there anyway. Is that like Game of Thrones, which I also loved, You don't have to cringe at the fantasy elements because it's really it's about backdoor politics, right, That's.
Speaker 1: What I like about it. Nice go politics by thirty years in Hollywood Bike Gavin mclos it's fair.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I mean, let's get back to paul In jokes.
Speaker 1: Paul In jokes, and what do you mean, what are you insinuating.
Speaker 2: Richard Richard Deacon ellen Brady's brother in law. Yeah, yeah, needed a job because otherwise he was going to be out on Christopher Street. As you might say, anyway, sorry, uh so and watch and or Centers, except unless you're rob.
Speaker 1: I'll see it anyway.
Speaker 2: I jack right on.
Speaker 3: Brit Box is fun. It's kind of nuts, but it's fun. Brit Box is playing games though the whole season's out and they're holding on to the last two episodes to get people to check out other things on brit Box. Oh and it's so freaking obnoxious, but.
Speaker 2: That is not good.
Speaker 1: Brit Box is fun because you and you and you. There's like a category for murder mysteries in like the countryside and and it's like the endless scroll You've never you never see is it?
Speaker 2: Because I've never been on brother this is like countryside, Scotland yard, Manchester Police Department. Right, That's how I would That's how.
Speaker 1: It's more like you know that the Somerset County murders. It's like and it's just a it's just everybody in rural England is is killing everybody else in rural England.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see what. I always showing up showing up at my parents' house and they're like what is this And they're like, well, it's Inspector McGill cutty. Okay, you know, I mean I sort of jumped off this at Prime suspect. But okay, that was many, many, many you guys like Modland.
Speaker 3: Not like my.
Speaker 1: It's okay, I saw my thing.
Speaker 2: I'm sposed to I'm supposed to watch it. I mean, Pierce Brosidon is fantastic good in general. Yeah, he has had a very interesting career. Like he's a guy who like every five years pops up and you're like, man, he's good.
Speaker 1: He's really good.
Speaker 2: And now he must be in his late seventy I mean he must, right, Revington Steel was forty some odd years ago, so it's got to be in the seventies.
Speaker 1: Like, boy is he good looking? Yeah, guy like that. I've never heard anyone say anything about him that isn't. Oh he's the nicest, greatest guy. Oh he's a running to people and they oh he's you know, I had a flat tire and he fixed it some crazy stuff, you know, Like he's just apparently the world's nicest person.
Speaker 2: So can I give you one piece of credit before we go, Rob, because I think you're the one who came up with this, because you mentioned the Liza meeting Tom in the hallway and they kissing and everything. He's never matter Before that you said, there's this world. There are these people. They're all face famous celebrities, and they all feel like they're part of the same They're like Jews as saint. It doesn't matter if they've never met, doesn't matter. They know each other. They're all part of the same congregation, and they can immediately be familiar because nobody knows what it is like except them. They they're the only people. It's sort of like the ex presidents. Nobody knows what it's like to be really famous except really famous people, and really famous people don't live normal lives, and so they have this instant connection. It's like when you see the photograph my favorite photograph, which is it's the cast of Happy Days, and they're standing there and in the middle there's this kid, and if you look really closely, you'll notice that it's Sean Lennon. And then on the left standing there also smiling is John Lennon. So it's John Lennon.
Speaker 1: And Potzi, yeah, right, and Ralph.
Speaker 2: And on the far side is Henry Winkler and and then Ron Howard. But basically Potzy and Ralph get to be in a photo with John Lennon has more in common with Potzy and Ralph than he does with.
Speaker 1: It's all show business. Everybody in show business isn't show business and it's your Vin vendors. You're Mikyl Rischikov, You're Joyce Boulevard. It's all show business. And don't act like, oh well, I'm I'm, I'm, I'm I'm really actually a very well known But no, no, no, you're you're in show business.
Speaker 2: And I just want to say that Joyce Ballafan is no Arleane Golanka. That's what I have to say. All Right, So we'll we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll, we'll do this again.
Speaker 1: One one glop at a time. We're not gonna one at a time.
Speaker 2: Uh. And we could do the inter music from One Day at a Time for the top of the show. There you go. Maybe maybe some quotes from Schneider Schneider the only Jewish, the only you know, Pat Pat Harrington, famous Irish comic playing a Jewish super in Indianapolis because it's American comic from Queens only in America said of the mayor of Dublin, who was Jewish, told that Bobby Briscoe, the mayor of Dublin, was Jewish. Yo Eberra, who turned a hundred, who would have turned a hundred three days ago, said only in America, all right, mistake and legging one day is shide one day, one day inside.
Speaker 1: His side.
Speaker 2: Day inside.
Speaker 1: Can't top that