Speaker 1: Welcome to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Guardians Radio Network. Guardians Weekly is brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance.
Speaker 2: Hi, everyone, welcome to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you this weekend with another of our hot Stove editions of the show. As we get deeper into the offseason. Coming up shortly on the show, we'll hear from manager Steven Vote as the.
Speaker 3: Major League staff.
Speaker 2: Has been announced for the twenty twenty five season, mainly returnees, but a couple of changes, and the manager will fill us in on that.
Speaker 4: Shortly.
Speaker 2: We'll also have another edition of our Game of the Week segment looking back at some of the great games of the season gone by, and we'll head right to the postseason for the pivotal Game five, the deciding Game five of the American League Division Series against the Detroit Tigers, a series that turned out to be really an entertaining series, had you on the edge of your seat most of the way, and we will look back at that Game five at Progressive Field that feature the grand Slam home run from Lane Thomas and put the Guardians into the American League Championship Series, so that's coming up in a little bit. We'll also fill you in on the award winners Guardians players and coaches among those who are award winners this offseason or at least candidates anyway, and we'll fill you in on those who have won awards announced by Major League Baseball earlier this week. So a lot to come on our show today, stay with us. We're back after this on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 5: The pitch swung a shot to right, diving stop on one hop by hem Anders. I'm throwing to get them, just give them the gold twelve tonight.
Speaker 3: What a play again by him and us robbing Russman.
Speaker 5: Out of one hop, pulling diving in the shallow right, then popping up to throw out Rustman. What a game by human Is, who leads the American League and most defensive run safe.
Speaker 6: When you switch and save with Progressive, you could use that money towards scoring court side seats for your favorite team. Progressive cannot guarantee that you can score court side seats. Drivers who switch and save with Progressive good save on hundreds on average, but court side seats can be astronomical. Maybe if your team plays in a smaller market, you could swing it. Even still, it's unlikely. Maybe forthrow which are still incredible seats that you'll enjoy greatly. Savings possible court side long shot switch and see if you can save at Progressive dot Com. Progressive casually injuries and affiliates not available in all states. Progressive cannot guarantee that someone really tall will not sit in front of you at the game, rendering your excellen seats just okay.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardian's weekly Jim Rosenhause along with you this weekend and for the Guardians this week, news made as they announced their on field staff for the twenty twenty five season. Just one new name in there, and that is the major league hitting coach. With Chris Baleka accepting a position with the Cincinnati Reds for their new manager, Terry Francona, that opened up a spot on the Guardian's major league staff, and Grant Fink is the name that you'll become familiar with as we get closer to the start of spring training and then once the season begins. He has spent the last three seasons as Cleveland's minor league hitting coordinator, overseeing the hitting development of the organization's position players. Began his pro career coaching wise with Cleveland back in twenty seventeen after a three year playing career. He originally was Cleveland's third round draft pick as a player back in twenty thirteen out of Missouri Western State University. So he'll work with Dan Puente, who returns for his second season on the staff, and Jason Esposito, who's been promoted to Major League assistant hitting coach. So tip of the cap to es Bo for all of his great work and he's rewarded with a promotion for the coming season. Others in terms of changes with Grant Fink the only new hire on the staff, Craig albern As his back. He had been the bench coach and now his new title is associate manager. Kay Correa is also back. He's the Major League field coordinator slash director of defense, base running in game strategy, and he did great work on the defensive front a year ago, a big reason why the Guardians were one of the best in baseball in terms of defense, both infield and outfield. Returning to the staff this year great news. Carl willis back for his fifteenth season as Cleveland pitching coach Sandy Alomar's back as the first base coach and catching coach. This will be season number sixteen for Sandy. Joe Tare as the assistant pitching coaches back along with bullpen coach Brad Goldberg. They did great work this past season, especially with that best bullpen and all of baseball. Rugless Odor is back for a second season as the third base coach and outfield coach. Jat McGuire and hitting analyst Josh Tubbs also returned for the Guardians to that major league coaching staff. Earlier this week, Stephen Vote met with the Cleveland media talked about some of the staff changes, specifically Grant Fink, the new hitting coach, and what that means for the ball club.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean, obviously, the first thing I need to do is just, you know, thank Chris Palaika for all that he did for us, and you know, wish him well in Cincinnati. And we're definitely gonna miss having Valor around and what he brought for our team. It was really fun working with him, but wish him all the best obviously, and so with Grant, you knows, as we looked at the landscape of the hitting you know, across the game. It's just we kept going back to Grant and what he brings from a leadership standpoint, from you know, familiarity with a lot of our players, and familiarity with the other three hitting coaches on our staff. And with Grant coming on board, just you know, he's taking the reins the last few years in the minor leagues, and we just feel like Grant's going to help the rest of the hitting group and and our players head in the right direction. And we're really excited to bring Grant on board.
Speaker 7: Is there anything in Grant's background from you know, when he first joined the Guardians as a coach and the miners to to now that sort of makes him, you know, fit really well with your group.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I think you have to start with his content knowledge and his ability to get the best out of players. We've seen him do that, you know, I've seen it for a year, but the you know, the organization's seen him do it for a number of years now. But what we're really excited about is the way he interacts with the other coaches, the way he interacts with players, the relationships he can build. The content knowledge is there you know, this is a this is a person who has worked diligently hard to learn and to continue to learn, and we really feel like with his ability to use the relationships he already has while also just driving that hitting staff as a group and the four of them working together.
Speaker 8: Steven, how fun is it for you knowing that Albi will be back again next year? And then just is there a big difference out the title of the responsibilities of someone that's a bench coach too?
Speaker 4: No, I mean, first of all, I'm just so so excited he's coming back. You know, obviously for him to get the two opportunities and for him to choose to come back to us, it just speaks to who Albi is. And you know, we always want what's best for our people, and that doesn't change with Albi. You know, for Albi, Jen and the kids, we wanted what's best for them and fortunately that's back with us and so his responsibilities won't change. It was just a recognition of you know, you're more than a bench coache. You mean more to us than a bench coach, And for for Craig and for his family, we couldn't be more excited they're gonna be back with us in Cleveland, and so nothing, not a whole lot will change there.
Speaker 7: As far as being able to retain you know, Kay Korea and Carl Willis as well, just to keep that group together that you were able to sort of lean on so much during during the season. How important is that for you?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's huge. I mean, I couldn't be more thankful that, you know, Carl's coming back, what he means to this organization, what he means to me, what he means to our pictures and the rest of our staff. We lean on him a lot. You know, this is the most experienced on our staff. And for Carl, you know, to want to come back, to want to be with us, we couldn't be more thrilled. And I know I'm looking forward to sitting next to him for another season and him having to hear my words during the game and call me down and things like that. But what he means to this organization and our pictures, I can't I can't say enough about so really happy Carl's coming back, and for you know, to be coming back in a similar role. You know, he's going to be taking on more of an organizational role with the defense and base running and just so that we have continuity between you know, all the levels and what we're doing and everyone on the same page. And he was doing a lot of that last year so behind the scenes, and so this is not a huge change in what he does every day. It's just a recognition of you know, Kai means more to us than what a title can bring. And so really happy to have Kai back and to have Albi Kai and Carl specifically coming back is huge.
Speaker 7: To see the players be recognized with Gold Glove Awards, with Fielding Bible Awards, Is that an affirmation to you of what Kai and what what Ruby were able to do. Defensively, we saw them putting in the work all season long. Every day they were out there with the with the machines and putting an extra work before each series. Just does that affirm just that the process is working.
Speaker 4: With them, absolutely, And I think you know, the credit goes to the players first of all for all the individual awards. You know, they're the ones that go out and do it. They're the ones that put in the work. And so for a lot of our guys, the number of our guys we recognized all across different you know, platforms, and different awards. I think we had you know, we got two, but we should have had a lot more than that. And I think we all know that a lot of that comes from you know, Kay and Rugi and and our staff in general.
Speaker 3: J T.
Speaker 4: McGuire deserves a ton of credit for what he did with our outfield this year, and Sandy with our catching. So I mean, we we feel really good about our defensive group, and and Kai has taken some leadership in that. And it's just a testament to what this staff has accomplished and what our players are able to go out and do. We love watching them play, and our staff put in a ton of work behind the scenes for our guys to be prepared.
Speaker 2: Stephen, when you talk about the different people on the staff, did it take much for you to learn how to delegate and let them do their jobs because it seemed like they really were able to do that from day one last year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know, part of part of my inexperience helped because I had to really on people. I've never been an outfield coach. I've never been an infield coach. You know, I have the one year of coaching experience and just learning and understanding who our staff is. I got to sit back and manage, and I think that's what made this group so special. And the trust that I have in this group of staff members to do their job and to push our players to be at their best. It makes my job a lot easier because I don't have to keep pushing. They want to go out there and do the work. They want to put it in, and so it's just a testament this staff worked incredibly hard. I did ask a lot of them, and they did it and more and I'm really thankful for him.
Speaker 2: And just circling back real quick on Grant, think how much communication did you have with him last year and would it have increased because of some of the players who came up from the minor leagues and were able to hit the ground running here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think. You know, I got to know Grant pretty well. You know, throughout spring training I talked with him a lot, and then he came to visit us quite a bit throughout the year. You know, he would come and observe, he would help in the cage, you know, behind the scenes, and so Grant was very involved with our major league group and he was a good resource for Val and the hitting group because he did help that bridge for guys that were making the transition from Triple A to the major leagues. He was speaking the same things that Val and the hitting staff wanted to be spoken. So Grant had a huge hand in what we did last year and a lot of that went into our decision. But also it's just the person. Grant Fink is exceptional and I'm really excited to work with him.
Speaker 9: Grant, Sorry, Steven, do you see a change in hitting philosophy with the new hitting coach?
Speaker 4: You know, I don't really know. You know, we're still we're still starting, you know, to get that together. I thought we did a lot of things really well this year, Hoisey. I thought, you know, Val, you know, in his group, they wanted we wanted to impact the ball more. We did that very well, you know, and I think that's something that we're going to continue to talk about. But I know that Grant and Alex Ecklman and the rest of the hitting group, they're all putting their heads together on how we can help our guys. And that's really it, Hoisey. That's going to be our philosophy, is how do we continue to get better every single day and how do we train our guys every day to be ready to beat that night's starter. And He's got a lot of good ideas as well as s Bo, Dan and Tubbs, you know. So we're really excited that those three guys are coming back because they're three elite hitting people as well, and we feel like with the four of them, we've got one of the best teams in baseball.
Speaker 7: We saw Kyle Manzartago go back and then and come back to the major league club, you know, with a sort of he looked like a completely different hitter when he came back. Was was Grant involved in any of the communication when when he went back down to the minors and and you know, worked out things.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think, you know, the Triple A hitting staff was tremendous, you know. I think Junior does a great job there and you know, and Grant obviously has a big hand in that as well. So I think there was a lot of learning for Kyle. You know, I think he did some reflecting and when you were we talked about this during the season. When you're able to reflect and then you have the people around you that are going to support you and help you get back to feeling the way you do. You come with a new confidence and in better understanding of what that role looks like, what it feels like, what do I need to do to be prepared for a pinch hit versus you know, the DH role. And we asked a lot of Kyle. We asked Kyle to do some things that are not easy, and he really answered the call when he came back in September in the play in the postseason.
Speaker 3: How long is it taken you to kind of just kind of like digest what happened this season, especially the postseason.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure yet, you know, I think you know, it took me. It took me a couple of weeks to really just kind of put my eyes towards twenty twenty five. And I think I've gotten to the point now where you know, it's behind us, We've learned from it, and now we look forward. You know, my least favorite statement is last year. I don't like talking about last year because it's going to be a new group. It's going to be a new group of people that show up in Goodyear, and this is that we get to make a mark on a new team, and that starts with our players off seasons and how we can support them through having a great winner. So we're already eyes forward.
Speaker 5: Did you guys, do you external candidates and internal candidates for the hitting coach?
Speaker 4: We did not. We we we did internal candidates, and you know, we put our heads together and like I said, we looked at the landscape of what the hitting coach you know, looked like, and we just kept going back to our staff, our Grant think, and then our three that were already here. So we we feel really good about it. This is something that you know, we're confident in and we're confident in Grant's leadership, even not.
Speaker 8: To completely pivot away from coaching staff, but just for a manual class A to be a finalist for the cy Young and how ridiculously difficult that has become for relievers to even crack into the top three. Just what does that say about his season as a whole, for what he was able to do.
Speaker 4: I think I think it confirms everything that we saw that we watched. You know, we were fortunate to watch it every night, and what Emmanuel did this entire season was just incredible. And so for him to be recognized as one of the top three pitchers in the American League he should have been and you know, if it well, we'll see how voting turns out. But you know, I mean, I think even just for Emmanual to be a finalist, it's it's really refreshing to see that what he did for us all year long was is being recognized.
Speaker 7: What does it say about the quality of the managing in the American League Central Division where all three finalists are are from the division there, Yeah, it's really fun.
Speaker 4: I mean, just for me first year in ALE Central getting to know that brand of baseball, and you know, we all we all played very good baseball. We all grind, we all have to work, we have to make things happen, and it was really fun to see both, you know, matc Utrro and aj Hinch be recognized in that way. And it's a testament to how our division was. Our division went down to the wire. It was a dogfight and none none of the teams went away, and it was a really tough year and everybody played us tough. So really happy for them and it's a really cool honor.
Speaker 2: As manager Steven both talking about the new coaching staff, among other items, as we get deeper into the off season and head toward the holidays season. Stay with us, We'll have more to come. It's the Game of the Week seven coming your way next the Cleveland Clinic. Guardians Radio Network, Welcome back to Guardians Weekly. Jim Rosenhouse along with you as we join you for another of our hot stove editions of Guardians Weekly and at least prior to the holiday break for us, which starts Thanksgiving weekend and takes you through to the new year. We like to look back at some of the great games of the season gone by, and we'll fat forward right to the postseason. An all time classic and anybody who was there most memorable for them. A decisive Game five in the American League Division Series the Guardians and the Tigers, the Guardians getting the series back to Cleveland with a gut check Game four win over in Detroit thanks to David Fry's late home run that put the Guardians in front and put them on their way to a Game four win to set up a Game five of a series even up at two wins apiece on the mound for Cleveland. Matthew Boyd. He was getting the start and he had the Tigers hitters off balance early on in this one.
Speaker 1: Nothing into the count. Now people get up and get into it. This will be a great atmosphere. It would have been off the charts tonight. Now the set. Now the O two delivery. Swam with the fastball.
Speaker 3: How about that. Matthew Boyd puts two on.
Speaker 1: Strikes out the side, gets his first standing ovation of the day.
Speaker 3: Detroit leaves a pair.
Speaker 1: Cleveland coming to ban and now they rises one at the corner of Carnagia and Ontario. Ken Matthew Boyd get out of it again. Nothing into the count on, Sweeney. Here it comes swinging in a mess out of the slider. You wanted even more drama after Thursday, We've got it. Early today, no score from downtown Cleveland.
Speaker 2: And as we saw throughout the playoffs, manager Stephen Vote was not afraid to go to his dominant bullpen early. So just a couple of innings for Boyd. Then it was Kaye Smith getting the call in the third down the.
Speaker 1: One two swimming and a miss. He threw the fastball, ain't by Riley Green. Middle of the third, Cleveland Detroit scoreless in a winner. Take Gallmanchum.
Speaker 2: Now the channel for the Guardians in that game five was the Tigers had their ace and soon to be Cy Young Award winner. You would think trek Scoubel on the mound, he was trying to keep the game scoreless. In the third.
Speaker 1: Outfield fairly deep toward left, Brocchio, Kwan Ramirez aboard the pitch swing and a broken bat pop up to first. Torkolsen will make the catch and Cleveland's opportunity is wasted. And credit trek Scuobel from rising to the occasion as he has all season long for the Tigers.
Speaker 2: In the top half of the fifth inning, the Tigers broke through for the game's first run. It was an RBI single by Kerry Carpenter and that put Detroit up won nothing. But in the bottom of the fifth the Guardians responded. Andre Simenez, Stephen Kwan, and David Frye each singled that load of the bases with one out for Jose Ramirez.
Speaker 3: Well, jose had a great quote the other day.
Speaker 1: They asked him, boy, how about having to face again? And Josey said, Hey, how about the fact he's gonna face us?
Speaker 3: Oh in one the count, here comes the pitch inside.
Speaker 9: It hit him Ramirez hit by the pitch that'll force in the tying run, and Ramirez is hurting behind home plate, but the run is scored to tie the game at.
Speaker 2: Won Hosey was okay, and that brought Lane Thomas to the plate, facing the mainly unhittable Eric Scouble. Thomas digs in hole for two. But he's been one of the hottest hitters for the Guardians for a month. Here's the pitch to him. He swings and.
Speaker 9: Drives it high in the air left field. Will it make the bleachers grandsand.
Speaker 3: Lamee Thomas has put the Guardians in.
Speaker 10: Front with a grand saund five to one Cleveland and this place is shaking.
Speaker 2: What a moment it was at Progressive Field. But there was still a long way to go in this one. Detroit came right back with a run in the sixth on a Jake Rogers RBI single. They scored another run in the seventh Cole Keith with an RBI doubled there and it was five to three Cleveland at that point. In the bottom of the seventh, Cleveland was looking to get some of that momentum back in their favor, and nobody better to get it started. Than Stephen Kwan.
Speaker 3: Here's the pitch.
Speaker 1: Kwan rifles won in the righties got another three hit game. He is a hitting machine. Stephen Kwan three for four today, could easily have four hits, and Kwan in this series he's gone eleven for twenty.
Speaker 2: Two batters later, Jose Ramirez singled, moving Kwan to third, and then Lane Thomas delivered again the bitch.
Speaker 1: He swings and sends a looper towards second basement. Keith has it, battles it. Everybody's safe into scores Kwan. That'll be another kind of off the bat single as Lane Thomas scorted one the other way and Colt Keith, who was shaded up the middle the second basement broke to his left, bottled it, but it probably wouldn't have mattered.
Speaker 3: It'll go as a base hit.
Speaker 1: Kwan scores Lane Thomas five RBIs today nine in the series.
Speaker 2: In the top half of the eighth inning, Detroit threatened again a lead off walk to the speedy Parker Meadows. He stole second to get into scoring position with nobody out, and that brought a Manuel class On to face Jake Rogers.
Speaker 1: Class A deals the pits swung on lined the short bleeping.
Speaker 3: Grab by Rochio.
Speaker 1: Well, if Brian Rochio's vertical leaf was twelve inches, he just went about sixteen. You can't make a better leaf than Rochio just did, timing it perfectly to Rob Rogers of a hit.
Speaker 2: Two batters later, it was the dangerous carry Carpenter at the plate.
Speaker 3: He's ready again.
Speaker 1: The two to two swim in the mess went tutter away and struck him out. Middle of the eighth inning off the shores of Lake Erie on a day that's getting prettier. Cleveland six, Detroit three.
Speaker 2: Then in the bottom of the eighth, Andre Simenez reached with a one out double, bringing Brian Rocchio to the plate again.
Speaker 1: The one two swung on banged up the middle base it centerfield.
Speaker 3: Pimnus hits third. He will score.
Speaker 1: Seven to three Cleveland. Bryan Rocchio's second hit today, his first starb I in the Division Series, and Cleveland, which had been shut out in back to back games games two and three, have erupted for seven today five off Derek Scooble.
Speaker 2: And in the ninth Classe was back out there trying to finish it up and send the Guardians to the American League Championship Series.
Speaker 1: Two down seven to three Cleveland ninth inning. Now the two to two delivery, a swing in a bouncing ball to Nailor at first, backs up long flip to clause boogam, and for the first time in eight years, Cleveland has headed to the American League Championship Series. And this October to Remember will continue with Game one of the American League Championship Series Monday night in New York. Cleveland eliminates the Detroit Tigers today in Game five by a final score of seven to three.
Speaker 2: Now, the celebration was on and moments after the game, David Fry stopped by to talk to Tom Hamilton about the big win.
Speaker 3: David, congratulations.
Speaker 1: Is there any way to put into words what today in this season has been for you?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 11: Uh, this is unbelievable. I don't even really know what's say. This has been so exciting. I mean I blacked out at second base when Lane hit that homer. I mean, this has been the funnest day ever.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, and it took all of you, obviously, but David, this ball club was in trouble on Thursday and the seventh inning and you come off the bench and really flipped this series with that pinch hip to run homer.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, been been fortunate enough to have opportunities all series to get to drive in some runs. And Vodi went to me yesterday for a big one and kind of got the boys going. But we talked about all year it's a new guy every single day, and it's Hosey hitting a homer, and then today it's Lane and my gosh and Maddy Boyd and the bullpen were so fantastic.
Speaker 3: What a day, David.
Speaker 1: How about your down one nothing to Trek schoobl who hasn't given up a run since mid September, and you guys get five in the fifth, take us through that inning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, unbelievable.
Speaker 11: I mean, himmy and Rokyo at the bottom all day where we're so good. They gave us so many chances with runners on and like you said, I mean, give credit to school wel he's been so good all year. But we knew if we were gonna win the game, we had to beat him. They weren't gonna go to the bullpen, they were gonna try to ride him, but we just put together good at bat. Stephen Kuant Shaker got on base, and I mean we get to Lane in my gosh, what a swy.
Speaker 1: So you have had a new baby daughter, your first child, your first All Star appearance, and you're headed to New York.
Speaker 3: How much better can it get? Beck? Yeah? Two more series, baby, two more series. Thank you, David, great job, Thanks hemy appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Also after the game, Guardians manager Steven Vote talked about an incredible game and series against the Tigers.
Speaker 4: I'm close was the script going in that?
Speaker 1: Joining the follow Humush was just managin by what you're seeing, what you're feeling.
Speaker 4: I think kind of all of the above. You know, we had a little bit of a script, but you know, it went pretty close. You know, there was a couple of times that we had to kind of go off script. But at the same time, it was it was watched the game, see what the game's telling us to do. Matthew Boyd was outstanding. I think he could have gone longer, you know, but we've won with our bullpen all year and that's been who we are just as a manager in the first year, maybe just in this series alone. How would you be walking about that? Yeah, I think the best thing that we do is that we plan the game every night, and we've done this all year long. We plan the game. Obviously there's nights we have to rip it up, but we've talked through exactly what we want to do and win, and you know, using Carl, using the pitching staff, using the analytics, using everybody, And I think I've just learned that there's times where you can follow the script when the game tells you to, and there's other times you have to rip it up and go rogue. And you can't be married to one idea. Steven, what do you have to say about can you say about Lane Thomas?
Speaker 1: Obviously it was a tough month for him, but he's really turned it around and especially today.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we when when we were approaching the trade deadline, we identified Lane as a player that we wanted. He fitted, he fit a lot of what we needed. And this guy's been a great player in this league for a few years now. And Lane has just been obviously had a great series for us, you know, the two biggest hits, you know, outside of Fry's homer, but Lane, Lane is a phenomenal baseball player and we're thankful we got him. Questions can in the front get one across and get five. Just what you see and how to build up that five run any with you know him and as geting a single kwan frize zone. That's who we are, That's who that group in that room has been all year. As soon as we get punched, we answer that that's been ourm O all year long. Is as soon as we give up a run, our guys come right back and you know, to put up the five spot. You know, Hosey gets hit by the pitch lane comes right up and it gets the big blast. But you know, we can't rely on the home run. We have to you know, string things together, and our guys did both today and uh then we got the add on runs at the end. And I thought today was just a perfect picture of who our team is at our best and couldn't have come on a better day.
Speaker 2: And then as the Guardians prepared to head to New York to take on the Yankees and the Alcs, we caught up with Game five hero Laine Thomas and he talked about what it meant to be one step closer to a World Series.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Absolutely, I mean that's the goal from spring training. So you know, obviously I wasn't here in spring training. But you know, that's the mindset I feel like for any player is to you know, get to this point, whether you know, no matter where you're at.
Speaker 2: And now you mentioned that, and I know you've you've referenced it before, the ability of this team to make you feel a part of it soon after you were traded and it wasn't the easiest when you first got here. But but what were some of the keys day to day that helped you settle in and become the player that you always can be.
Speaker 12: I think it's always easier when you have a great group of guys around you, you know, kind of pushing you and kind of hanging in there with you when you are, you know, picking you up when you are going thro those rough times on the player's side. And the coaching staff was awesome too, So you know, I got nothing but good things to say.
Speaker 2: And obviously you have the big hit in Game five against the Tigers, the Grand Slam. We caught up with you afterward, and obviously there's a million things going on in the clubhouse, but you've had some time to digest it. What's the last day or so been like, especially hearing from maybe some people you hadn't in a long time.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I mean I think it finally hit me this morning. You know, you wake up and you know, finally getting sorted through a lot of the text messages and phone calls and you know, just talking to my wife. It was it was cool. It was really cool.
Speaker 2: And obviously you you probably can't go too much, whether it's phone, social media, things like that television where if you don't see that highlight, is that kind of surreal sometimes when it's you who's part of that.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, especially when you're not looking for it, you know, and then something pops up. So yeah, it's it's been awesome, you know, but that was yesterday, and you know today we're you know, about to take VP and Yankee Stadium and kind of you know, start getting prepared for the next step.
Speaker 2: So you do turn that page and this team has been so good at that win or lose getting to the next game, and what are some of the keys that as you start to dive in on the Yankees a little bit that you think will allow this team to play to its potential and be a real contender here.
Speaker 12: I think over the course of the regular season, you know that there's a part of you that obviously wants to win every game, but you also, you know, you want to put up numbers too for yourself, And I think that's the difference between these games and the regular season games. It's, man, it doesn't matter if I go zero for five or you know whatever. It's about the team winning the game. So anything that I can do to help us win is the mindset that I know our whole clubhouse has. So that's kind of how we're looking at it going forward.
Speaker 2: And maybe that leads into the next question, playoff pressure. Does that help you handle it a little bit better when you don't think of it in terms of yourself but more for the team.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, because you know, no one in this dugout cares what anyone else does as long as we're winning games. So you know, I think that kind of relieves, like what you're saying, some of that internal pressure about what I have to do, you know, because you're just as happy if someone else does it or yourself.
Speaker 2: Playoffs means a lot of things to a lot of people. As much fun as you've had in this game at the major league level, Oh, it's been incredible.
Speaker 12: The last two months has been the most fun. I've hadn't have been in a clubhouse too, so it's been it's been an awesome it's been awesome so far.
Speaker 2: We enjoyed a I'll see as Lane, thanks for coming.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it absolutely, thank you.
Speaker 2: It was Lane Thomas and the Guardians on their way to the American League Championship Series, a series that the Yankees will win four games to one, but it takes nothing away from the memorable Game five that decided the American League Division Series in October. Stay with us, will havest some final thoughts after this time out on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio.
Speaker 13: Network, Progressive Nose.
Speaker 6: Finding your new home was a dream come true. You wanted it close to town, with a picture window overlooking a yard, and you found it. Now, when you sit down to dinner, you've got front row seats to your neighbor's daily pickleball game. Progressive can't save you from your noisy neighbors, but we can save you money when you bundle your home and auto with us. Get a quoted Progressive dot Com, Progressive Kensley Insurance Company affiliates, and other insurance not available in most states.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Guardians Weekly Jim Rosenhouse pack with you for our final segment and for the Guardians. When you have a year that results in a good run in the postseason and a ninety two win regular season, there are individual awards that will come that team's way most likely, and it's no different for the Guardians. A Silver Slugger Award for Jose Ramirez, fifth time that he has won the Silver Slugger Award as the top hitting third baseman in the American League. So congratulations to Hosey with an MBA caliber type season for him, and also on the mound for the Guardians winning the Mariano Rivera Reliever of the Year Award a Manuel Classe, second straight year that he has won that award, the seventh time that's been accomplished by any relief pitcher, and he was an All Star for a third consecutive season. What a regular season it was for Classe, who was four and two forty seven saves, a new franchise record there five earned runs all season, his RA at the end zero point six to one. Just an incredible season for Emmanuel Classe and among pitchers with at least ten saves in a single season, his era was the third lowest all time. Only Zach Britton with the Orioles back in twenty sixteen and Fernando Rodney back in twenty twelve had lower earned run averages than the zero point six to one from Classe.
Speaker 3: That's going to do it.
Speaker 2: For this week's edition of Guardians Weekly, Thanks as always to Brian Montsey for helping to put together our show each and every week until next week. This is Jim Rosenhouse reminding you that you've been listening to Guardians Weekly on the Cleveland Clinic Guardians Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Guardians Weekly has been brought to you by Progressive helping Guardians fans save hundreds on car insurance