Speaker 1: It's the Amos and Andy Christmas Show. With Christmas just a few days away. CBS Radio brings you transcribe the Amos and Andy Christmas Show.
Speaker 2: So here they are with their Christmas cast, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Alexander's Orchestra and chorus and radio's all time favorite Fraemon Gosden and Charles Carrel. Amos and Andy, Well, this is Sunday, let's go back to yesterday morning. Andy is out with Amos's little girl, Arbadella, on their annual tour of the store windows.
Speaker 3: Uncle Andy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they sure got a lot of toys in there. Anything.
Speaker 4: I've never seen so many toys. It's just like something you dream about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, hey, there's something cute there.
Speaker 2: There's a paint set. Look what they said.
Speaker 5: They're junior paint set, twelve dollars and ninety five percent complete with easel.
Speaker 4: That's easel oncle Andy, easeel.
Speaker 2: It's one of them things. But all artists has got them.
Speaker 5: They can't do without them. What do they use them for? Well, he wears them on the head, got a little cask along and it keeps their head warm.
Speaker 6: While they're painting.
Speaker 5: You know everything, don't you, Well, most everything a couple of things might have slipped by me on them.
Speaker 3: That's cute. What does that say?
Speaker 5: Uh? That's a baby doll set complete with pre ambu letor what's.
Speaker 4: A pre ambue later? Uncle Andy?
Speaker 5: Well, uh, it's just like one of the measles. But I ain't got no tassel on.
Speaker 4: Candy waiting to see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that show is a pretty doll, Arbidella.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's a talking doll. That's the one I wrote nice China Claus to bring me. But Daddy said I wrote the letter too late. You see, I only wrote.
Speaker 3: It two days ago.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, maybe your papa ain't got the money. I mean, Uh, that ain't give him Santa Claus much time.
Speaker 6: Oh isn't she pretty?
Speaker 3: Duncle Andy?
Speaker 4: Daddy's a Santa Claus.
Speaker 7: For bring it to me next Christmas.
Speaker 2: Oh show you see?
Speaker 5: That'll give you more time.
Speaker 8: We're having a.
Speaker 4: Good time today at me, Uncle Andy.
Speaker 5: I like being that with you, yes, and I like being out with you too, Arbadella. But they no sense us standing outside this window eyeballing.
Speaker 7: That doll all day.
Speaker 5: I guess we gotta get on home now.
Speaker 4: Oh gory, come on, just look at the talking dolls once more.
Speaker 2: Oh, sure, Arbadella, go ahead, That sure.
Speaker 6: Is the pretty dress he's got on.
Speaker 4: So when sadakout things hurting me. Next year, I'm going to make a lot more pretty teches, Kilquin.
Speaker 8: I can hardly wait.
Speaker 4: Till next Christmas. Sits only a year.
Speaker 5: Oh, come in, king.
Speaker 9: O God, hand the merry Christmas greetings over the season. Say what do you do with stretch out?
Speaker 2: And did?
Speaker 5: Oh I'm just laying down for a minute. I got a little woozy while I was at Christmas shopping with Arbadella.
Speaker 6: Oh well, you don't look too good around the guild. Look a little like a frown of the just being gaffed the little spinners out.
Speaker 9: It was shopping of all your dear friends, and you want to remember, especially this time of the year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I don't know what's wrong with me. I done took my temperature a few minutes ago, and the thermostat wrent up to one hundred and one.
Speaker 6: One. That ain't good.
Speaker 5: And well, did that mean I are sick?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 6: Aw, I don't want alarm. You're nothing.
Speaker 9: But I had a cat once that had a temperature of one hundred and one. The next thing I knew what you started forming at the mouth. Then she roved through the dining room window, landed on the street, and climb party feet up a twenty.
Speaker 6: Foot three and a half Hourliar, you had a little kitten s tooo.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't think that I as that sick.
Speaker 9: Well, like I said, you probably wore yourself out with too much Christmas shopping. Well, I gon do your big favor, boy, instead of having you come all the way up to my house with.
Speaker 6: That big presence, I know you done bought for me. I just take the same with him. Now see if you the clip see, oh we're thinking of you. Yeah, gotta think.
Speaker 9: Of your friends on Christmas. The spirit of good chill peep on earth and missile tune on that Kingfish.
Speaker 6: Yeah, just see it. And I kind of choke up. And I still with the spirit of French brotherland of.
Speaker 2: Kingfish?
Speaker 6: What is it? The old help?
Speaker 2: I ain't got no present for you.
Speaker 6: How would you like her?
Speaker 5: Have a punch in the mouth, Kingfish, don't you say nothing to me? I give you that pennant pencil set last year and you didn't give me nothing.
Speaker 9: Well, then I cast.
Speaker 6: Slaying that to you. Wait a minute, I tell you what I have done now I done bought you a box of fine seaguards, you know, Corona coronas, and I wanted them to be perfect for you, and I thought i'd perform one to see how they was. And the first one seemed to be a little too dry. Whoever, I finished that one, I decided to perform another one, and that one was too moist, you see, so I thought I'd tried another one. Well, any way, between the puffin and the drawing and the Morston.
Speaker 9: By the next thing I know, you Christmas went up and smoking.
Speaker 2: Well king fish.
Speaker 7: You see.
Speaker 5: It was all I could do to manage to scrape up something for Amazon his kids.
Speaker 2: I has too broke to get you or anything. This Christmas came.
Speaker 6: Pay well, Hannah. I was just thinking, now, if you want to go down to the friend of nor One coming on the corner wire, they'd be glad.
Speaker 7: To let you have it.
Speaker 5: Uh, come in, Oh hi, lightning.
Speaker 2: High, don't mind boy?
Speaker 6: Then to hide you are.
Speaker 9: The kings in well glad you drop buy it? Just thinking about you. You know, you got to think of your friends at Christmas time. It's the spirit of good cheer, peace on earth, and it's time of.
Speaker 5: The year when the spirit of friendship and brothering and those face who.
Speaker 2: Out the world you ain't fish.
Speaker 5: If you don't get out of here, I'm gonna punch.
Speaker 2: You right in the nose.
Speaker 6: You hear that? Oh right, all right, the sun. There's a fine attitude to take a Christmas time. Goodbye to both of you. Bump.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know. I see you're done wrapped up them presents for me like I asked you to.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, right down route, each one of them separate down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's good.
Speaker 5: But wait a minute, year, How'm I gonna know which one is the crayons? Oh?
Speaker 6: Well that's simple, missandah, you'll see on the crayons there I put a k.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, lighting, don't you know that crayon starts with a S? Certainly the R O U T O N S crayons?
Speaker 6: Well, you ain't given away many presents this year, is Missander?
Speaker 2: No, I got a.
Speaker 5: Little something for Amos and Ruby. These toy soldiers I got for Amos juniors. All right, But I don't know if Barbadella is gonna like these crayons or not.
Speaker 6: Oh the shoes you like them? And anyway, what do you know what you like and what you do like Mazanna.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a trouble like them, I do know what you like. I just broke and say, like him, what time.
Speaker 6: Is it, He's about one o'clock, Mone, one o'clock.
Speaker 5: I just get an idea right now, let me get up here. I think I'm gonna take a walk down to that department store on the corner. Come in if you want to see me.
Speaker 2: I guess.
Speaker 5: So is you the gentleman to.
Speaker 7: Do the him for the department store?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 7: My name is Simmons.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I was wondering if you needed any extra sale help for this last minute rush this afternoon, I would work hard. Well, we did need extra help up until this morning, but I think we can get through the rest of the day with the salespeople we have. Oh well, thank you, Just the same as say wait just a minute, yes, yes, maybe you can help us. Was that well? One of our Santa Claus helpers was called home. His wife was taking ill suddenly, and well we could use somebody to take his place. Do you think you could do it? Be Santa Claus's helper?
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 5: Well, I had never done it before, and I don't sho so I can do it. Fine, Fine, you go down to.
Speaker 2: See mister Walker on the fourth floor.
Speaker 5: He'll give you your Santa Claus suit and whiskers. Then come back here and I'll tell you just what you're supposed to do. Yes, sir, Thank you, sir, Thank you. Well, mister Brown, you look very well in that outfit. Yes, sir, I see you've got that pillow in there just right.
Speaker 2: I don't know pillow.
Speaker 5: That's me. Well, I think you're going to make a fine Santa Claus. Mister Brown, yes, sir. Now what must I do, missus Simmonds.
Speaker 6: Well, you can get into the toy department right through the back door of my office.
Speaker 7: Here.
Speaker 5: The Santa Claus chair is right there, and I just sit there and talk to the children.
Speaker 6: That's right.
Speaker 5: You just have the children come up one at a time, and if you run into any difficulties of any kind, just call.
Speaker 2: The floor walker.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, if I'm in trouble, I'll call the floor walker. Good luck, Santa right through that door.
Speaker 2: To day, Thank you, sir, thank you.
Speaker 5: Well, there's a Santa Claus chairs, a lot of children waiting on. Oh they don't spotted.
Speaker 1: Me, hey, quiet quire quiet here, quiet.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, I'd let us sit down here and get started. All right, Sonny, come right up here, sit on Santy Claus's laugh.
Speaker 2: That stuff. Boy.
Speaker 5: Now, tell Santa Claus, what does you want for Christmas?
Speaker 8: I want to hop a long Cassidy had a hop a long Cassidy shirt, hop along Cassidy spurs, hop along, cast down, hop a long Castidy gun, hop along Cassidy boots and a hop along Cassidy toothbrush and.
Speaker 5: Tell me something, little fella, Just who is your favorite.
Speaker 6: Cowboy star Roy Rogers?
Speaker 5: You is a nice little boy.
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 5: What is your name, Sammy Jackson? Well, tell me something, Sammy, you've been a good boy. Yeah, I ought have known that without asking. You look like a smart little fellow. I bet you were smart in school.
Speaker 8: No, I ain't.
Speaker 5: You ain't smart in school?
Speaker 6: No, I ain't.
Speaker 5: I bet you try hard, though, don't you?
Speaker 6: No? I don't.
Speaker 5: Well, Uh, you're gonna try hard after you go back after the vacation, though, agent No, I ain't.
Speaker 8: I ain't never gonna try hard because I hate school and ain't nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 5: Oh, four Walker, you come over here, four Walker.
Speaker 8: I guess everything I ask or I'll try hard.
Speaker 6: Never mind, poor Walker.
Speaker 2: That's a good little boy. Sammy. You just hang up your stockers and everything's gonna be all right.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you, Santa Claus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, am my next, Yeah, you was next my mind.
Speaker 2: Say you was a sweet little girl.
Speaker 5: Now, what can Sannah do for a pretty little girl like you?
Speaker 3: Mommy said when I came up here, I could sit.
Speaker 6: On your lap?
Speaker 5: Oh sure, yeah, let me lift you up here. Mm there he is, you as light as a fella. What's your name, honey, Patricia Washington. M that's a pretty name too. And that's a pretty little coach you got on there.
Speaker 3: My mother made it for me.
Speaker 5: She made my hat too, well, Patricia. I suppose you come up to tell me what you want for Christmas?
Speaker 3: No, Santa, I wrote you a letter about that. I just came up to visit with you.
Speaker 2: Oh well that was nice out here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't when you've been out to living presents all Christmas Eve, when you get home, you must be awfully tired. Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: Uh, yeah, I guess I was pretty tired of that.
Speaker 5: Yes, And I'll bet your.
Speaker 3: Little girl comes up to you and told your arms around you like I do when my daddy comes home tired.
Speaker 5: Well, no, honey, my little girl don't do that, because you see, I don't have no little girl.
Speaker 6: I live by.
Speaker 5: Myself, all by yourself, all by myself.
Speaker 7: Then, just for.
Speaker 4: Today, I'll be your little girl here.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you, honey, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Why Santa Claus? Didn't you like it having a little girl?
Speaker 6: Huding?
Speaker 5: Kiss you?
Speaker 3: I noticed there's a tear running down your cheek.
Speaker 5: Oh no, honey, I like that more than I can ever tell you. Don't you pay no attention to that tear. It's just that at Christmas time your eyes able to do funny things for you. And I'll tell you something else too. Santa is really gonna come to your house this year.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Marry Christmas, Santa Claus.
Speaker 2: Merry Christmas to you.
Speaker 5: Honey.
Speaker 2: All right, who's next?
Speaker 6: I'm next?
Speaker 2: Come right up, Sonny. What's your name?
Speaker 6: Jonathan Waldorf?
Speaker 5: Curtis Higgins the Third? Yeah, well I'll just call you Johnny.
Speaker 2: Now, what do you want for Christmas?
Speaker 5: Johnny?
Speaker 6: Wait a minute before I tell you, are you the real Santa Claus?
Speaker 5: Well, I have Santa Claus's helpers.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess that's okay, but I don't like doing business with no middleman.
Speaker 5: You know, talking to me is just like talking to Santy yourself. I got the sleigh and the reindeers and everything. Oh yeah, well all.
Speaker 6: Right then, just what are the reindeers' names? Uh?
Speaker 5: You want to know the reindeer's names?
Speaker 6: Or if your sin of clouds helper, you ought to know the names?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well there's uh Donner, Blitzen, Thunder, Francer and uh uh stinking brinking the not.
Speaker 2: What you want for Christmas? Johnny?
Speaker 3: I want to let you train, I want a bicycle, and I want to my leg plane with a real gasoline engine.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that's all pretty expensive stuff. But I don't know if you're going to get all of that.
Speaker 1: Oh yet, don't huh no?
Speaker 5: See you over here a minute? Yes, I mean, uh, well, well, well what you want?
Speaker 6: Now?
Speaker 2: Listen?
Speaker 1: But do I get that stuff?
Speaker 3: But do I have to punch you in the noddle front of all these kids?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, Sonny, uh never mind?
Speaker 6: Four, walk up?
Speaker 2: Okay, you get the stuff?
Speaker 6: I better?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 5: All right, who's next?
Speaker 6: I have?
Speaker 2: Oh, step right up, Sonny.
Speaker 5: Yes, sir, and what's your name?
Speaker 6: William Smith?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Well William, I suppose a big fellow like you want a cowboy?
Speaker 2: Suits for Christmas too?
Speaker 6: Huh?
Speaker 5: No, electric train nope, bicycle nope, there are boxing gloves nope.
Speaker 7: Well tell me, William, what.
Speaker 6: Would you like a baby sister?
Speaker 7: You want a baby sister?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 8: How did I get one?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Four?
Speaker 5: Well you look a little one off, mister Brown.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I was a little tired.
Speaker 5: I never talked to so many kids in all my life.
Speaker 2: See they is cute though.
Speaker 6: You did very well.
Speaker 5: All the children seem very happy, and the parents were just standing there beaming. Yes, well, thank you sir. We said, we appreciate it. Haven't you here this afternoon?
Speaker 7: Yes, well I enjoyed it too.
Speaker 5: And of course, like I told you when I made the deal with you, I've done it.
Speaker 2: For special reason.
Speaker 5: Yes, and here it is, mister Brown. I had the stock boy take it out of the window, the talking doll.
Speaker 1: This traditional and commander Christmas Show is coming to you with the best wishes of CBS Radio. It is our way of saying Merry Christmas to you all. Well, that brings us up to this evening, which is Christmas Eve, and with his arms full of presents, has come up to Amos's apartment.
Speaker 6: Well, come in, Andy, Merry Christmas.
Speaker 5: Boy, Amos.
Speaker 7: Is the kids around?
Speaker 6: Oh no, he is all in bed. Arbadella is the last one. She just went to bed a few minutes ago.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, I didn't want on the kids to seem to come in with these packages.
Speaker 2: Let me put them down here under's the tree.
Speaker 6: Oh gee, you've got a lot of stuff to And it looked like he didn't forget nobody.
Speaker 2: Where's Ruby?
Speaker 6: Well, she and o Mama went to church for Christmas, to these services, and I kind of baby sitting with the children to name.
Speaker 5: Well, I got a present here for you, Amos.
Speaker 6: Oh, thank Andy.
Speaker 5: And here's something for your wife Ruby. And here's something for Mama. And I got a box of them toy soldiers here for Junior.
Speaker 6: Oh that's wonderful what you got in that big box? Then?
Speaker 5: Oh that well, that's a special gift, Amos. That's for Arbadella.
Speaker 6: Arbadella.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I didn't put no card on it, so just tell her that this was from Santa Claus.
Speaker 6: Oh Annie, he sure was wonderful to the kids, not only on Christmas but all the time. Boy.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, Amos, I ain't never had none of my own, So I guess the next best thing is kind of being nunck landed all yours.
Speaker 6: Yeah, why are you headed for?
Speaker 5: Now? And well, I'm going to plenty Christmas Eve with the Kingfish. We're putting on a little dinner party. We're done about a twelve pound tucky.
Speaker 6: Oh that's nice. How many is your hair gonna be? Here?
Speaker 5: Just me and him? Well us all to run along and wait everybody, and Merry Christmas.
Speaker 6: I'm Merry Christmas to you two. And I going back with Albadella now and see she's asleep. You know how kids is on Christmas Eve? Yeah? Well song, thanks again, and then see you tomorrow. Merry Christmas, rain fools to Royal dier damn and crown him lord. Well all butdella, look at you. I thought you'd be found asleep by now, and that you are sitting up in bed.
Speaker 4: I don't I'm sho started. I don't think I'm can sleep tomorrow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, honey, everybody's got to sleep tonight, the just cause Sander's coming in the morning. Why you can't stay awake all night? He won't come and people will stay awake.
Speaker 4: How long before you be your daddy.
Speaker 6: Well, I tell you you put your head down on the pillar and go to sleep. Now, if you'll sleep, it'll only seem like one minute before Sanny will be here.
Speaker 4: Oh hi, Daddy, I'll try. I still am excited to daddy.
Speaker 6: Well, I guess all the little kids is excited tonight. Daddy.
Speaker 4: Can I kill on the little radio before I go to sleep.
Speaker 6: Well, just for a minute or two. I'll snap it on for you. Yeah, y is. Now let it warm up for a few seconds. We don't want to wake up your little brother and name of Andra.
Speaker 4: Oh you never wished them up, daddy.
Speaker 6: Well, let me sleep and you cover the little bits you said your prayers.
Speaker 4: Warming hid my pass before she went out, Daddy.
Speaker 6: The Christmas choir continues with the Lord's Prayer. Well, now get under the covers, honey.
Speaker 4: Daddy, could you get some Christmas music on the radio.
Speaker 6: My darling, this is the very best Christmas music you could get.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 6: You want to sing the Lord's prayer?
Speaker 4: Well, I've been doing the Lord's marley, she thinks to.
Speaker 6: Us, Yes, I know she is.
Speaker 3: What is the Lord body?
Speaker 6: Well, it means an awful lot, and with the world like it is today, it seems to have a bigger meaning than ever before.
Speaker 1: What does the Lord means.
Speaker 6: Bot him the Lord's prayer? Well, darling, I'll explain it to you.
Speaker 7: Oh well your bottle.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Now you lay down and you listen, all right. Now. The first line of the Lord's prayer is this our Father, which are in heaven. Now that means Father of all that is good, where no wrong can ever dwell. And then it says hallowed be thy name. Now that means, darling, that we should love and respect all that is good. And then it says there after that thy kingdom comes, I will be done in earth as it is in heaven. Now that means, darlings, as we clean our hearts of all hate and selfishness, and fill our hearts with the love, the good, the true, and the beautiful, and earth, where we are now, will be just like heaven. Then it says, give us this day our daily bread. Now that means to feed our hearts and minds with kindness, with love, and with courage, which will make us strong for our daily tasks. And then after that the next lines of the Lord's prayer is and forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debts do you remember the Golden rules? No farther For that we means that we must keep the Golden rules and do unto others as we would want them to do under us. And then it says, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. Now that means, my darling, to ask God to help us do and to see and to sleek. Right, know that we will neither be led or tempted by anything that is bad or dyne is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory forever are men. Now that means darlings at all the world and everything in it, to run the God's kingdom everything, Mommy, your daddy, your little brother, your your grandma, you and everybody, and as we know that and act as if we know it, that my darling daughter is the real spirit of Christmas.
Speaker 7: That's good, daddy.
Speaker 6: Well, now I guess our to cut off the radio and let you go to sleep. Good night, daddy, Good night, sweet daddy.
Speaker 4: We'll leave a little radio on when.
Speaker 6: I go to sleep, alright, I'll leave it on and you can listen to some Christmas music.
Speaker 7: Why you're got an.
Speaker 6: Maybe what you can't name the day?
Speaker 2: Why don't never.
Speaker 6: So call him what.
Speaker 7: I think I'll say, a manual, taking.
Speaker 6: Him, found that shoulder and making him.
Speaker 5: I got the.
Speaker 7: Good.
Speaker 6: Well, she's asleep. Merry Christmas, my darling,