Speaker 1: This is Sham and I with the Mets and welcome to Bapflicks and Nerds.
Speaker 2: Hello, and welcome to Backlifts and Nerds, the Baseball Podcast with the British Twist. I'm your host this week, John McGhee and joining me. Well, we've got a quartet this week. I'm making my long awaited return from the injury injury injury list after a you know, a niggling half strain perennial for me. But I've got three more people who know far more about baseball than I do, which is which is arguably a good thing. Well, actually four more because I've got the cat here as well. She won't go away today. First up, we've got the computer brain man himself, mister Russell Lisa.
Speaker 3: How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing good, John, I'm doing it excellent in Cleveland. Throw it all the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll definitely talk about Cleveland a bit more throughout the course.
Speaker 3: Of this of this chat.
Speaker 2: And also Bournemouth Arena's very own general manager, mister Rob Navera, are you hey up?
Speaker 1: How are we doing? I'm good as far away from Bournemouth as I could get that.
Speaker 2: Rubb's been threatening to get the tech guys from from his work, which which is born with Arena into professionalize his setup because this is very much a Jerry built enterprise.
Speaker 3: Maybe we all need to get them.
Speaker 2: To pop round and last up performing his very own version of the Flu Game. It's Ben Carter but a little bit under the weather, but breaking it out and on the left.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would be the Flu Game if Michael Jordan had, you know, a slightly poorly Tommy or something not quite as impressive as his feats. But I'm going to fight three. I want to talk baseball. It's been a while, so excited to be here.
Speaker 2: Great stuff, And have you got anything to say, Kat or are you just going to keep mussel in this microphone? There we go, got a little bell that was nice. Great, So we've got quite a lot to get through. Our last podcast was just after the trade deadline, so quite a lot's happened since then. Some teams have been in the ascendancy, Some who people fancied a little bit to improve after the trade deadline cough, the Boston Red Sox have actually got infinitely worse. So alongside Russell's team, I've also got my tiny violin out. But let's sort of chump through it all. But there's been the Backflips and Nerds podcast. There are a couple of topics that we like to dwell on for an inordinate amount of time, and the first of those is the announcement of the pool that Great Britain Baseball is going to play in the twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: World Baseball Classic. Bit previous of us to be talking about this already.
Speaker 2: It's a good eighteen months away, and who knows who's going to be in the teams or who's going to be in the teams that they're playing against. But Russell, you're our World Baseball Classic correspondent, and GB's got quite tough for all this time through you haven't they?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I think obviously we're having to face the US in the group stages once again. Is never going to be like an easy draw, thinking how they're going to try to like fight their way out of it. Obviously, now they're not the qualifier going into this group, so there is a qualifier who's going to get there. There's a couple of teams that got kind of dropped out last time which probably will come back with immediate force, and so that qualifier might not actually be that week of a team, but we know that they can win a game. I still think that that group there is obviously you've got another European team in there, which makes it like not to besmirch European baseball compared to American and an Asian baseball. But you've got to be wanting to win that game. As a minimum you get to two, maybe get to three, Maybe think about having a knockout game in Houston before for a trip to Miami. And I think that's the other side. It's in Houston now for probably John, Me and Gav and many others who want it to be in Tokyo, so we could kind of go to Tokyo and watch TV play baseball. It's not good from the holiday perspective, probably is better from who's actually going to make that team perspective, because it's a lot easier for the MLB teams to give up their players and have them still be like in the US than it is to have them fly the other way around the world and kind.
Speaker 4: Of sort it out.
Speaker 7: So hopefully, Yeah, And as John threw an article out today, he's got an idea on who might might be playing for that team. So I think we've got to go in there wanting to get out of that group stage.
Speaker 4: I think it's doable. It's going to be hard, but as.
Speaker 2: Baseball absolutely we'll talk a little bit about what the team might look like in a second. But it's interesting, isn't it that you possibly got the four most American teams in a single pool.
Speaker 7: There.
Speaker 3: You've got Italy, which is just anyone.
Speaker 2: Who can say by the being out loud, You've got Britain, which is well, you know it's the commonwe isn't it really Mexico which you know, there's a pretty close link between Mexico and the USA, a huge border.
Speaker 3: And of course GM.
Speaker 2: Played Mexico last time through as well, right, and that was before and they lost, and that's before Jared Duran was good. So you know, it's a slightly worrying ominous and we'll see who the qualifiers. But you know, as you alluded to, Russell, I, I wrote a piece today. This has been a big, a big day for me. First time I've written anything for about a year, and I'm back on the podcast for the first time in six weeks or so. And you know, on paper, the GB team could be really, really good. I mean, on paper and on the field is an entirely different thing as we saw in twenty twenty three. If every single available player had been available in twenty twenty three, it would have been even better than it was. But there are a few players who weren't there then who would make it better, and a couple more who've taken great steps forward in you know, Gabriel Ranconez and Matthew Coperniac and Michael Peterson of course big league of Michael Peterson. But yeah, I think there's there's a reason to be to be confident guys, isn't there Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I would say the fact that it's just two years before the Olympics as well, there's gonna be a lot of guys there who are saying, look, I'm available to play because a lot of these guys are going to want to play in the Olympics. Who doesn't want to play in the Olympics. That is, that is a big goal. Even if even if you are paying for little gb because your grandma has you know, half a half a British toe. If that's the day fight, great, fantastic, But like that, that is going to be an attraction. That is going to be a point where by guys are going to want to start sort of getting their names on the rosters because they want to They're gonna want to play those games. So I think that really could bode well for teams who are relying on expats and relatives to get them into the games. That could both work quite well.
Speaker 3: For us and and Ben.
Speaker 2: Obviously, any team that's got a starting pitching availability potentially of Tristan McKenzie, Thanks Russell, I forgot that one, Jack like and Kumar Roka, and then a bullpen that could include any or all of our oldest Chapman, bark lighter in Jibo and others. Michael Peterson, you know it's it's not far off being a big league staff, that is it? Really No, I'll concede.
Speaker 5: I do not follow the international scene or the eligible players as close to yourself from not to do some I was reading for your article, I was I was somewhat surprised at the caliber of players that we potentially will have available. I mean, this is a serious list of big names, and perhaps most excitingly, a serious list of big names that are mostly young and only improving. Obviously, it's going to be a tough job for Drew and Coe to recruit all of these names to be part of the team, and I think we have to concede there'll be some who will be unavailable for for all sorts of reasons. And obviously we are still talking eighteen months ahead of when this tournament will be and that's a long time in baseball. But I think the future looks really promising. You know, some of the guys that you've outlined here who are even the higher miners or just joining the majors, that are considered seriously top prospects, who will hopefully form the core not just of their respective major league teams for years to come, but hopefully the sort of core of this next generation of GB teams as well. And yeah, that rotation, like you say, lighter Rocker too, absolute superstars from the college level who are starting to get their feet where, you know, at the major lever on the upper miners. Tristan McKenzie, who's been great for the Guardians for a number of years now, that's a serious one two three punch that could compete hopefully with the best of them. So yeah, I mean that their expectations are high with how well GB played last time round. But as Russell says that they should be right, we should be expecting them to perform well.
Speaker 6: And I like that.
Speaker 5: It's no longer just nice to be there, but actually we want to win. We want to beat some people. We want to kind of cause a bit of a scene. So no, it's a long way away, but I'm excited already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm sure there's one or two more up the sleeve of coach Spencer and is Lee, tenants John Cramer and Connor Brooks and Brad Marcelino as well. Us Drew keeps his cards close to his close his vest. I think he would say, we would say close to close to our chest, because.
Speaker 3: That's the correct way of doing it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, definitely, there's going to be somebody who has Caribbean heritage that we are not aware of.
Speaker 1: Ormok Trout.
Speaker 2: I love how you've picked potentially the most American looking man of all time. I mean, there are a lot of Trout in Americans, you know, maybe maybe some Barrick.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, so that's gb.
Speaker 2: Baseball World Baseball Classic. Go and have a quick look at my article. There's going to be quite a lot of coverage of the World Baseball Classic. I'm sure that that Gavin the team will be churning out a view of who they might be playing, who might be in those Italy, Mexico, USA, and inde qualifier squads over the course of the next eighteen months, and I'm sure we'll have an opportunity to speak to Drew and his staff between now and then on the podcast too. So from the sort of exciting and sublime to a rather I think melancholy note right now, but hopefully we can have a little bit of fun with this too, the retirement of i'd say collectively our favorite player on this podcast and many many people's favorite player in baseball, Joey Votto, who decided last week, in true Joey Votto style, you know, to hang his spikes up.
Speaker 3: Having spent this.
Speaker 2: Year with the Blue Jays organization and all of his prior career and indeed therefore all of his major league career with the Cincinnati Reds, Votto fastened on with the Blue Jays in the hope to play for his hometown team before he retired, and unfortunately there was no room for him in a triple A lineup, which is a bit of a shame. Really, it would have been a really nice way to give him a swan song. But that isn't the way that baseball goes. It isn't the way professional sports goes. Not everyone gets the happy ending that they want. But yeah, sad to see Votto go ben, isn't it because he's been a source of inspiration for us on this.
Speaker 3: Podcast in our time pulling it together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I can't think of many players who are as widely beloved as as Joey Votto is and has been for as long as you be doing his podcast, and for even longer than that. He's been always a joy to watch on the field, a joy to listen to off the field. I know we've all on this pod exchanged great stories about the various articles about his endeavors, whether it be mopping around his house or all the other things that he tends to do off the field that kind of endear him to us even more so. It is a sad day, and, like you say, sad that we didn't kind of get that fairy.
Speaker 6: Tale ending from him.
Speaker 5: I think we all probably saw the writing on the wall a while back, but anytime that a legend of the game, besides hanging up their spikes.
Speaker 6: Is a sad moment, but then I'm excited to see what he does next.
Speaker 5: I think he could have a fantastic career in a broadcast booth or as an analyst. I hope he stays in and around the game of baseball. I don't know if coaching is something he'd be interested in. I can imagine him being very, very good at that. But this is someone who just thinks so cerebrally, if that's even a word, about the game of baseball. He's such a smart hitter. He thinks about the game and ways that others don't. He can talk about the game and express himself in ways others can't, So I do hope you get the chance to explore that further with him now. But he's no longer hit it and just hear what, yeah, what he has to say from his mind about the sport, about the way he used to think about the game, about yeah, what it means to be a hitter. That was as good as he was for as long as he was. So Bittersweet's sad that he's gone, but I'm excited to see what's what's next to Joey. Yeah, and of course Russell Now that he has retired, we return to the eternal and indeed most boring question in all of baseball? Is he all of famer? And as aristatsman here you have to tell us whether or not he is. I mean we would all say for sure, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think he's If you would go old school, he might be an edge candidate. I think whither basically the electorate of the BBWA who will vote him in. I don't really see any chance that he's not getting it. He might not be a first time ballot person if people still start to do that sort of thing where they want to just kind of do first ballots for just the top people. But he'll make it in, like he I think just also his relationship with the media will help that. Like he's not made enemies. I think joy Voro has I think understood the entertainment value of baseball better than most of the players in the last twenty years. He plays like the face to the home crowd and the heel to like the away fans.
Speaker 4: He knew exactly.
Speaker 7: How to like pull those strings of how the crowd is feeling and get them like to love him and hate him like in equal measures. And it's just not seen much. I think in baseball nowadays, it's one of those things that, yes, I am a statch person. I love thet side of like baseball, but if the game itself still has to entertain you, and so you want the people that can do that. I think first baseman have a great opportunity to interact with the crowd and the players that they're because everybody comes through first who makes it on base I think Vodo was a beautiful wind up merchant to kind of pull that through. But from a statistical point of view, his numbers are pretty outstanding. His numbers are like in the runners and scoring position is just ludicrous. He has stuff that is like that's if you want to talk about up somebody being clutch, and you can maybe over about a sixteen year season talk about somebody actually being clutch, that's probably just about enough time to do it. Vardo was clutch like in those big moments, he did what mattered, and so yeah, I think I would love to see more of him, as I think, as Ben said, I listened to some Cincinnati Red broadscasts, but towards the end of last year when he was injured, because he was on those broadcasts for an inning or two, and how he talked about the game just opens up your mind to kind of what's actually going on. They just having those people who are so recently within the game gives you like a clear idea. He had one inning where he was talking about like the shift and having it removed and how that like changed his mind about how he was hitting. And you just don't hear that from players who are active. So yeah, I think, yes, I think he should be a whole time. He should be a Hall of Fame balla. But I would put him first time, but then I don't have a vote.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so the question that I have for all of you, and I'm going to come to you first job unfortunately, because you're just You're the next person I'm going to ask a question, is now that Joey Votto is is no longer within the great pantheon of Major League Baseball? Where where do we turn our collective affections? Who's going to fill that giant, gaping hole of you know, is Russell so eloquently put it, the guy who is the face to the home crowd and the heel to the away crowd, but is having a huge fun and has their tongue firmly planted in their cheap Do you do you have it? Do you do you have anyone that brings to mind? Rob and the other guys get an extra second to think about it.
Speaker 3: You don't.
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't have anybody who's bought Zach Cozart a donkey. That's kind of unique. That kind of stuff doesn't doesn't translate. But I mean, and if you come to beloved guys, I mean, Adrian Beltray is a really good comp to Joey Votto in the kind of way he played and the kind of the kind of player he was. I think it's going to be short lived, but you've got cut at the moment. You know, he's that kind of beloved character. Beyond that, you know, you may be starting to look at like end of season Altuve. I think he's got potential.
Speaker 3: We're just picking.
Speaker 2: People our age, Rob, Adrian Beltroy, Joey Votto.
Speaker 3: These is the old people.
Speaker 4: Ben.
Speaker 3: Maybe I need to ask you first.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm actually I'm going to go all person start.
Speaker 5: I had to google it because I wasn't sure if he already had retired, But I'd always considered Zach Grinky the pitching equivalent of Joey Votto in that like total quirkiness, that.
Speaker 6: Leaning into doing things differently. He isn't quite as personable as Votto.
Speaker 5: In fact, I think I've struggle to get ten minutes of conversation out of Zach Grinky, whereas me and Votto could sink several points and chat till the end of the night. I have no issues, no problems thinking about that. But I do think Grinky is in that kind of area of like widely beloved.
Speaker 6: Towards the end of his career, everyone.
Speaker 5: Sees him as yeah, as someone who we adore and likes to listnit you talk about the game of baseball.
Speaker 6: But then yeah, he basically is retires. Maybe he's not a good person.
Speaker 5: I think you're going to say, Kristan Cassas, I kind of slightly agree with it, but I'm going to let you speak about why he might be the right heir apparent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I was. He obviously sprung to mind.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, he is a lefty first baseman who has got an incredible eye for the zone. So you know, the comparisons start there, but they don't end there because justan Cassas is just weird. I don't know if you guys have followed, you know, Casas has been injured for three months and he's come back from the injured list and is hitting the snot out of the ball and has an OBP over four hundred and when asked how and why this was the case, because usually there's some adjustment period for normal baseball players, he replied, well, I've been taking loads of swings. And they said, well, how, because you've had a rib injury and taking loads of swings really hurts.
Speaker 3: He said, I've just been taking.
Speaker 2: Them in my head, which is exactly the type of thing that Joey Votto would say. Also, you know, last Tuesday he was driving the Red Sox some some portion of Red Sox nation fandom wild by doing yoga on the field, wearing a supreme balaclava and a pair of sunglasses and not like and a pair of yellow shorts.
Speaker 3: And that's it.
Speaker 2: He is a He is an absolute one off. So yeah, I mean he for me is a is a clear analogue. But also that's a bit of a homer pick for me. I had another one before I let Russell take the counch. Lastly, and you know this might be again because I'm just thinking Votto and I'm thinking Reds. I'm thinking, you know, obviously we don't have so much of him speaking English because it's not his first language. But someone who is a complete maverick, and you just have no idea what they're going to do, but everything they do is hilarious fun. Ellie Dela Cruz, I just have so much time for him, and I just he's just having fun all the time.
Speaker 3: I say, you know, it's sorry.
Speaker 1: I said, and he looks like a pirate.
Speaker 2: And he looks like a pirate to you know, this being a baseball podcast, what do you do when you lose Botto?
Speaker 3: You create him an aggregat.
Speaker 2: Right, So you've got Ellie Dela Cruz, you got Tristan Cassas with the on base production.
Speaker 3: I don't know you Russell, what do you what do you reckon?
Speaker 7: I'm really trying to think who is like beloved by their own franchise and kind of maligned by by the others. I think a great pick Rock, yeah, but I don't think how too they like buys into the malign this.
Speaker 4: He doesn't.
Speaker 7: I think some of the other astro players have like taken it on the chin better. I think like Bregman, like just a good shout.
Speaker 1: Actually, yeah, I don't think anyone likes him, even Astroy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm I still think you say like you're making up in the aggregat. I think parts of like someone like Jazz, I think really work kind of like well here as well. So like I think if Jazz staying in New York and can actually do like do well in New York, I think he really become one of those players that like New York fans love and then everybody else hates because se already players kind of seemingly already think the Jazz is overrated because he got put on the cover of It or Be the Show. And according to one of those articles by The Athletic where they ask players about these sort of things, they still seem to care about that two or three years later, So you could have that. I was I was thinking of mentioning Ellie as well, because I think you just want you need the person to be slightly different of a bit we just don't quite have like the community of kind of aside from that, so the same way like people that it could have been, there was like Tim Anderson or something like that that could really kind of could have done that but kind of like flopped out of the papers.
Speaker 4: So yeah, there is a there is a gap. There is a niche.
Speaker 7: Waiting to be filled by somebody who is zany enough but also very good because I feel that the last maybe five ten years of the z any players, they've kind of not really approved actually to be that great in the long run.
Speaker 1: Heat Fairbanks is giving it a go to be fair again. He's been quite fun.
Speaker 2: Heat Fairbanks is definitely in your building bottle in the aggregate for sure, and he's very much giving me very weird but really engaging interviews side of things. I love pet Fairbug because every time there's a clip of fit Fairbugs, I'm like, yeah, I'm just going to stop and watching this. I just know that this is going to be completely bizarre and totally off the wall.
Speaker 3: I love him great. That's a great conversation.
Speaker 2: I think that absolutely the right way to celebrate Joey Votto is is to think about, you know, his impact on the game, not just as a as a player, but as a personality, and to think about who's going to fill.
Speaker 3: Those enormous shoes.
Speaker 2: Great, So we thought we'd talk a little bit about if it's been a weird, old quirky week in baseball. This week hasn't it, And it would be remiss of us not to mark absolute baseball history that's happened this week, which is that the Danny Jansen game. He wants to explain what the Danny Jansen got Russell Again, that feels like you know something that you're up to the task of why is there such a thing as the Danny Jansen game?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 7: Well, due to the wonders of baseball, we sometimes get a game starting on one day and finishing on another day. Because it's an outdoor sport. Because we play it in places which it's not San Diego, where it's basically sunny for the entire year, you get these things called rainouts or snow outs. And so Danny Jansen playing in a game for the Toronto Blue Jays against the Red Sox and a game gets rained out, perfectly normal thing that happens in baseball. But then he gets traded. But he gets traded to the Red Sox. And now everybody, and I mean everybody, when that trade happened, everybody was like, oh, they've got the makeup game. Danny Johnson could could play in this game, and so that was reported. When he was traded, it was reported again probably about two weeks before the game happened. It was reported again probably about a week before the game happened. It was reported probably every single day until the game happened, and then on the day he was then pinch hit for for another player.
Speaker 2: By the he was at bad he was not only playing in the game, he was due to like be the next hitter up. So the first announcement in like literally the board said next to bat and it was Danny Janssen with a Blue Jays hat, and I love the fact that they put that up. And then it was announced that he was going to be pinch hit for amazing.
Speaker 7: Yep, and then obviously comes in as as a Red Sox and to do something which I think, to my surprise, was the first time it's ever happened. I was genuinely surprised when they talked about it about a month ago that this was the first time that has happened. And I'm now you may have guessed from the last thirty seconds of how to speak, frankly, I'm bored with this utterly over reported for one really random, niche baseball thing. It's been like everybody loves it, and I'm like, okay, cool, yeah, move on, Like why is this the one random based start that seems to have got national coverage for a month?
Speaker 3: Kind he's been a grump, isn't it.
Speaker 1: He's been a grumb Absolutely being a grump. I think the one thing we're missing, though, is that that we wanted. We wanted some sort of Danny Janssen put out for Danny Jansen. That's the that's the thing I was missing. It was, you know, like I wanted to drop third strike and then Danny Jansen to throw out the pinch runner for Danny Janssen at first, and then I wanted to see baseball, you know reference meltdown and not work anymore. That that's what I wanted. That's what it's fun. He's yeah, let's have our moment in the sun. This is this is a fun like we are we are a community of statistical geeks. Even those of us who are enough on the statistical geek end of the scale, we are still statistical geeks. And and yeah we like this, of course we like this. Get out, get out, Russell go.
Speaker 3: On, Russell's a misery burn, isn't he?
Speaker 6: In his defense, it doesn't seem like Danny Jansen was picked excited about it himself.
Speaker 5: This this was big enough news to actually make BBC Sport, which is when you know something has gotten, you know, beyond the zeitgeist to baseball. And in it they quote Danny himself and the quote they give is, I'm just going to put my head down and play. I mean, wait telling into it, Danny. Wait to have some fun. It's just a game of baseball, isn't it. I'm just gonna play.
Speaker 6: You make a history out there, mate, have a bit of fun, smile away, enjoy yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Ultimately a half and half scarf, that's what I wanted to see.
Speaker 3: We're definitely not putting Danny Janssen.
Speaker 1: Tear off one uniform, throw it down and the other uniform is underneath, and there goes a home run.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If this had been you know, Joey Votto or tell Tim Anderson right, this would have been been fun.
Speaker 3: Oh yeazz.
Speaker 2: You know, maybe Danny Jansen wasn't the correct avatar for this, but maybe if we're all like Russell, he was, because who gives a fuck.
Speaker 7: No, no, I want to preface I gave a fuck a month ago.
Speaker 4: I was like, this is really freaking cool.
Speaker 7: But when I see the same article about fifteen times in the space of like a month, it's no longer cool.
Speaker 4: It's just spam.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, we shouldn't add to the spam except to say, you know, look, as a Red Sox fan, I'm just glad that something fun happened for my team. I can talk about something else fun that they did in a minute. Actually, But good grief, it's been pretty grim since the trade deadline. Lucas Simms and Lewis Garcia, both of whom the Red Sox traded for, are just before the deadline, both of whom had been very good for their respective bullpens in Anaheim and Cincinnati, respectively. They have a combined ERA of over nine and are now both injured. So good times. But that's not the team that's been had the worst time since the trade deadline, Russell, is it. I know we're going to come to your team and a bit, let's talk about something good and again. I know last time that maybe Russell, you're the right person to ask about this because the last time that this was getting reported, it was boring, but it was mainly boring because of Ben's mate Roger Marris Junior. And that's Aaron Judge just being ridiculously good on a level that is like, actually, maybe Aaron Judge might be the best baseball player of our generation. Now, I mean, I don't know how do you attack it. I saw someone saying this morning that if he's only got historical comparisons, that means he is better than everyone discuss.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think that you can talk about pretty much Aaron Judge from May onwards and be like, the comparisons are bonds, and then if you're ever basically being compared to bonds, you're amazing. Like there's no there's no other way of describing it. Like before we get into the fact that I'll talk about one caveat that's really annoyed me, as everybody's been like, well, if you had a good April, think of where he would be, Like he didn't.
Speaker 4: Basically the whole reason why he is where he now is because he didn't have a good April.
Speaker 7: Maybe he wouldn't have changed his swing or his approach, and then he would have like not had the improvement that we've seen for another like three or four months. You can't pick and choose and basically just say over the last four months he's actually on a pace that would have beaten Bonds. Yeah, because if you want to take a four month period for Bonds, he could have had eighty five home runs in a season. So put statistics in context. People stop talking out of your asses. But Judge has been phenomenal, and I think I think having Soto and then having Stanton back means that they can't even pitch around him in some regards, watch Cleveland do it.
Speaker 4: I don't know why we pitched at him like some regards.
Speaker 7: I just intentionally walk around and Judge every single time and be done with it. Obviously, the numbers don't match up for you to actually do that. But if there's nobody, if there's somebody on base and you've got some of the some of that lineup that's been behind him for the rest of the season, yeah now I'll pass.
Speaker 4: And that's the level.
Speaker 7: That's how good he's got that people should actually be doing it now. I think people got in a little bit of a huha when he hit his three hundredth home run and Soto was walked to bring him up, and then he did that, and it's like, well, actually that statistically made sense because Judge grounds into double plays more than anybody else in all of baseball, So you were free based doing that.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 7: I don't know why everybody decided to lay into Grady size more as a new coach, doing something that I think probably seventy percent of the other managers in the league would do so. But yeah, phenomenal stuff from Judge will awesome to see hopefully what he does down the back of this next kind of month that we have of the season, if he can push and break his record again. Obviously with the caveat that we don't want to see Marrige Junior again cause.
Speaker 4: He'll come up, because he'll pop up.
Speaker 7: There was just no way to get rid of him last year, Like he was just one of those frigging like alien bursts just come out of somebody's chest to kind of come out and say it's like there.
Speaker 2: Wrestle with the zeitgeisty reference there.
Speaker 4: I recently just watched Populus, so yes.
Speaker 2: Well I've watched all of the other films over the course of the last week because my wife loves them, and we wanted to watch them all again before we go and see Romulus. There we go, Ben, you were particularly vexed by Roger Morris Junior. And I think it was maybe not the last I was on the pod, but last long of the last few times. You and I were having a conversation about, you know, when Zaron Judge going to get is wrong? Hes going to get into props? Seemed like a ridiculous conversation. He's certainly been getting it in space and rightly so recently.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, since we had that discussion about it, it almost seems like he's underrated. He's just gotten better, and I think probably the baseball world has caught up to the fact that he is above and beyond anything that Yeah, certainly that I've ever had a chance to view in my lifetime as a baseball watching fan. Yeah, I'm running out of words to describe how good he's been. I mean, his second percentage is seven thirty two. It's absurd. We you know, we have not seen someone do this in yeah, since Bonds. It's it's crazy what what he's been able to do. And as those signs of slowing down, Yeah, hopefully he can, he can go on to beat his own record from a couple of years ago. You know, I know Russell likes the poor cold water on the what if you know thought train, but there is a what if element here, Like we haven't seen anyone who could even sniff onto his record in our lifetime, but it kind of feels like he is the first player where you can legitimately say the word seventy.
Speaker 6: Three and not be laughed at.
Speaker 5: Right, I don't think he'll do it, just it's so hard to do and he's running out of time. Obviously, age isn't necessarily on his side at this point. But he's just reached a new level this year of ability, of power, yeah, of presence in the battles box that we've never seen before. So yeah, all you can really do is stand by and applaud and watch with you with your mouth agape. I think if he can finish the season strong, we'll be looking at, yeah, basically the greatest hitting season we've seen since the great Man himself. So that I've been just amazed by how good he's been and hopefully continues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the people who are talking about his April Russell, we should also add you know, he's only on three hundred home runs at the age of thirty because he didn't really, you know, make his mark till he was in his mid twenties, and its perennially being injured.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: You know, part of the part of the thing about Bonds is he played all the time for years.
Speaker 3: I mean he had a bit of help with that, but that's.
Speaker 2: By the bye, so right, Rob, I think you know, we don't need, we don't need to dwell on Judge too much because you know we've got we've only got so much time. And I know you want to talk about a special particular team that's a favorite of yours. So I thought rather than talk, I mean, talk about Judge if you like, but really I thought you might want to just take a lap.
Speaker 1: Oh right, Well, I mean there's other teams have not done as well. I think we may have predicted preseason that the Texas Rangers weren't going to be white Tom pointers to where they were last year. And I think I think, and I don't want to talk too early, I think we may be fairly well vindicated in our selection of the Rangers not being repeaters and maybe being just a touch fluky with their four o nine winning percentage so far, sorry my apolage four fifty eight winning percentage this year, they're not going to be a winning team. They're probably not going to be a winning team. They might just about be a winning team, but like they need to really go at some even just to be a winning team this season. So the Rangers have been a bloody disaster coming from a point of view where they had some genuinely good players last year, some fantastic hitters, like they've got a middle infield to die for. Yet this this thing is not going well and it was just so horribly predictable that it just didn't look right. It looked like a patch together team that managed to scrape through last year on practically sheer luck. And I think we've we've seen that this year that they are not good. They are not good.
Speaker 2: Russell, do you want to do you want to carry on Duncan on the Rangers or do you want to take a lap on anybody.
Speaker 3: Else whilst whilst where whilst we've got the opportunity to do it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I just think that everybody who thought that had a bit of a surprise season has regressed and the Yeah, Simeon and Seeger of both probably put up like four war seasons so far, will probably have four and a half five war seasons, which are perfectly and outly respectable.
Speaker 4: They are like all star level players, but they're not amazing.
Speaker 7: And then pitching wise, when Evoldie, Gray and Heeney have been your best pitchers, it's not probably the position you wanted to be in. I think only one of them has any RA under four, which is which is not good. So yeah, I think I think also the word thing saying and talking about how we didn't think that Texas were going to be good.
Speaker 4: We also thought that Arizona were going to be good, and Arizona.
Speaker 6: Has been good.
Speaker 2: So you win some, you win some when when you're baseball experts like we are. Yeah, we also thought the Mariners were going to be bad. Darius is not available this evening, but certainly he wanted us to dump on big dump up and so maybe maybe somebody else can take up that mantle in his absence, but he was particularly vociferous about them just being bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think they're they're they're there are some mistakes we've made.
Speaker 7: I think both of us thought Cincinnati were probably going to do quite I don't think any of us thought the Brewers would actually have made this.
Speaker 2: Because anybody thought the Brewers were going to you know, yet again, Mike.
Speaker 7: Gleamand pessimism was was wrong for ninety five percent of the season and is now looking like it might be right for the final five percent, which is not the good thing to watch. But yeah, like, obviously like victory laps, taking victory laps in August, I think is I think it's fine. This is about the time of the year when you can actually start to take your like your your victory lap.
Speaker 4: Obviously. Yeah, we make so many predictions.
Speaker 3: On these things.
Speaker 7: There are awful Like if you want to talk about the things, I thought Torres was going to have another bounce back season, completely netly wrong about that one. I thought Randy was going to be amazing, completely netly wrong about that one. So yeah, you can you win some, but you definitely lose him on those predictions.
Speaker 2: Look, I think it was a perfectly reasonable to say that a Milwaukee Brewers with a starting pitching battery of Joe Ross, Tobias Meyers, Colin Ray, and Aaron Ashby was not going to be all that and yet all of those players have been really good, so you know who knows you just just the moral of that story is just it doesn't matter who they are or what their name is. It could literally be like John Smith, that's a person who's going to get a three point two era playing for the Milwaukee Brewers.
Speaker 3: Just just lock it in. Just lock it in.
Speaker 2: Ben, Have you got anyone that you want to dun com or any laps that you want to take?
Speaker 6: I don't think so.
Speaker 5: If we definitely don't have time on this podcast me to regard to say all of my terrible takes for this season, so spare us at the time going through that.
Speaker 6: I think it's been a bit of a shame.
Speaker 5: And the last time we spoke of Deadam we were talking about, however, like they're going to be at least an exciting NL wild card race, and all of the kind of exciting playoff hunts have kind of gone. I mean, we kind of know who the playoff teams are now, which is a bit disappointing. There are obviously still a couple of exciting division races out there, and I guess there is more of an incentive now than there were there was previously. To actually win your division and be one of those top couple of teams in each league. So there's still plenty to kind of watch and look out for. But it has been sad to see, you know, the teams in the National League that we thought were going to be competitive kind of fade away, aside from the Dbacs and Padres who've.
Speaker 6: Kind of run away with it.
Speaker 5: I'm not giving up on my New York Mets yet, but it does feel like it's going to be a little bit of a nice story. And then remember that OMG thing rather than the twenty twenty four Mets were generational and won it all. I've certainly given up on my Rockies, but I think we've done on them enough for me to do another victory lap there. So yeah, that's started disappointing one. But no, I think there are a lot of competitive teams and none that are so clearly dominant that it's going to make the playoffs no fun to watch, so it should be exciting.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think the Mets just rode the meme train for too long, Like Grimace, all good, but the Hocktooler girl was, ah, you just you just stumped all over one of my two good, too bad.
Speaker 2: Well, let's move on to two good too bad. I'm assuming that that was going to be a bad rob. So you wanna do you want to start a negative?
Speaker 1: I was teetering. If I'm honest, I really couldn't quite work up which decided to throw it. I'm gonna go with bad. I'm gonna go I've got more bad than good this week. I'm gonna put in No, it's a bad, it's a bad Hailey Wilsh Welsh like, I have nothing against the girl. This girl, she she had five minutes of fame on the internet and she's riding that for the cash she can get ripped. Fair play for the woman. Let a crack on with it. No problems with that. My issue is more with with during during the school holidays, with the New York Mets deciding to put a woman who's how do we phrase this known for spitting it gentlemen, making her throw the first pitch was maybe a little bit of a misstep.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the reason I was teetering between is it a good thing or is it a bad thing? Is when do you remember the last time anyone throughout a ceremonial first picture? Do you actually remember any of those people, and this one you do, so maybe the marketing side works. Like the last one I remember, I was, I was in Tampa Bay and I saw the Chewbacer mom through through the first picture on Star Wars Night, so like I remember that one. But again because she was an internet meme rather than anything serious. It's the issue for me is like the day before, Like I don't know what the dame for was, but I would imagine, like you know, some firefighter who dragged six babies out of a burning building, like, you know, thank you for your service. Now here's a woman who does blow jobs. You know, there's a bit of a there's a bit of a which way do we go with this? You know? So I'm gonna put as a bad not for her, not for Haley. She did nothing wrong, but the Mets may have needed to have maybe selected the tone little different on it.
Speaker 7: Can I just suggest to me, there's only one reason why it was bad, and it was not good.
Speaker 4: She didn't throw a spitball.
Speaker 1: Okay, she should have thrown a spitball.
Speaker 3: Come on, I think about good grief. Oh dear Ben, how are we going to get through this? I mean, it's going to be another.
Speaker 2: It's going to be another bad because we're going to go in that order first, but please restore some decorum.
Speaker 5: My my next bad is is Babe Ruth and his twenty four million dollar jersey that was sold at auction.
Speaker 6: I think earlier that what you were.
Speaker 2: Going to say, burning his wife Helen to death there, Ben, but you know you've kept I.
Speaker 6: Can forgive that.
Speaker 5: No, look I will, I will be honest. I'm not the biggest Baby Ruth fan, and that nothing to do with how nice the man is. I've never got the chance to meet him, haven't heard Some have heard some not great stories about him, as you alluded to, But he was playing in an era of absolute farmers and villagers and people who did not know how to throw a fastball bar send sixty miles an hour. He was hardly a legend of the game, even though sure he hit a load of home runs and it was a two.
Speaker 6: Way player and all of that. I don't have much time for.
Speaker 2: The guy wasn't player. He wasn't let's just let's just look that. Sorry to cut you off, mid Rant, I've got my own. He was not a two way play. He was a pitcher. And then he was a hitter. It's not a two way yeah, sorry, carry on.
Speaker 6: Not even a two way player. So yeah, I'm not may counting the murders.
Speaker 5: I don't really understand the obsession that baseball fans in America have with him as this kind of either of the sport. And so yeah, when I saw that that his jersey supposedly from Game two of the nineteen thirty two World Series where he hit two home runs and called his shot never happened, it's kind of crazy to me that that went for for twenty four million dollars in this era, obviously the most expensive piece of sports memorabilia of all time. There must be a better way to spend your In fact, there definitely is a better way to spend your money on literally anything else than this jersey. That is basically, you know, fairy tale made up story about something that a man who was overweight and not that good did in a World Series game ages ago. So yeah, look, obviously my cup of tea, I accepted it is for other people, but that that was bad for.
Speaker 3: Me, Goodness gracious to me.
Speaker 2: I feel like we should have ended the entire podcast with that duel Tour de Force Hawk into Babe Ruth dueling rant, the whiplash of gracious may. Of course we all know that. You know, if you want some great Babe Ruth memorabilia, then Tom's mum and dad found one of his actual gloves.
Speaker 6: For two.
Speaker 3: Which Russell was.
Speaker 2: This was in a brick a brackshop somewhere in the in the Cartswolds, and Russell was, as Russell rightly put it out, it was literally the wrong hand for Bob Ruth, famously left handed, would not would not have been having his glove on there on his left hand. Yeah, Russell, I mean you and I have got how do it?
Speaker 3: Well? I think we can't follow that? But do you want to do your guardian's rant now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I might as well.
Speaker 7: I think effectively, Cleveland have built a team that the hitters slap it around a bit. They've learned to hit the ball with a bit of power this year, but it's kind of reliant on the fact that you kind of don't give up too many runs. They even have like one of the worst pitching rotations I have seen in my fandom of watching baseball. I know I've been spoilt in watching the Cleveland teams over the last like ten years or whatever, and we've managed to bring through prospects, left the prospect and had some cy young winners in there.
Speaker 4: But my god, is it awful Like when you're when you when.
Speaker 7: You're thinking that, like you're in a playoff race and the players that you bring in are like Matthew Boyd. It just doesn't bring any sort of level of like enthusiasm, like like whatsoever. If we look since the start of July, I think I had it. They have only only been outstarted as in like the starters of own. Teams that have performed worse are Colorado and Miami. So that tells you everything, like you had. This is the twenty eight it's worth starting rotation in baseball since the start of July. Yes, class A and Gaddis and Smith have been phenomenal throughout the season, but even in the last few weeks, each one of them has had at least one mishap that has cost us a game. But you can't expect them to throw three shutout innings every single game to get you out of it.
Speaker 4: Like the wheels have come off half. This team can't hit.
Speaker 7: I'll save my good But one of the good things that has come from maybe this team, but I feel that they're found out. It's only the fact that no one is good this year. Kansas aren't great, Matt Minnesota aren't great, Detroit aren't good, and the White Sox are terrible. And the Cleveland have been five and five with the White Sox. They have the worst record against the White Socks out of anybody this season. So that puts it all into context.
Speaker 2: I think Hill, so from one bad baseball team to another, mine's going to be short and sweet.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to dwell on it. Rich Hill, What the fuck? That's it? Eight times?
Speaker 2: It's forty four years old. What we're doing? That just it's embarrassing. I love Rich Hill, I do know. I never wanted to see pitching for the Boston Red Sox ever. Again, why are we here again? It's not a good story anymore. It's not funny.
Speaker 1: It makes me feel better about myself because because there's now seven seven Major League Baseball players who are older than me remaining there. I have a little game. Actually, if anybody wants to play, take a punt at the rest of the top ten oldest players in the base in MLB right now.
Speaker 3: Oh God, Andrew McCutcheon, nope.
Speaker 1: Berlander, yes, number two, well done is at number six. Sorry five actually because Julie Guriel hasn't played this year, but some reason appears on the list. Charlie Morton, Yes, number four, well done, Ben. But I guess.
Speaker 3: This is good audio.
Speaker 7: This is really good audio, isn't it. It's got to be pictures. It's got to make the entirely picture and hoing.
Speaker 1: No, we've got We've got a brave, a Mariner, a Ranger, a Rocky, a met and a Cardinal. That's the rest of the top ten.
Speaker 3: Ryan Presley, No, he's only like thirty six.
Speaker 4: It's not not quite old enough.
Speaker 3: There is the Met one. It's the lefty guy I can't remember.
Speaker 1: Yes, Adam number nine, the Rocky. Come on, an old Rocky who has given a long extension for no good, good reason.
Speaker 4: Daniel Blackman, There we.
Speaker 3: Go, Daniel bart.
Speaker 1: You've got an ancient mariner, an ancient mariner. There you go is a poetic element to it, an ancient Mariner. First baseman Samuel Taylor Colery doesn't really play first base anymore. Traded deadline, big old Ginge.
Speaker 7: Justin Turner, Hey, I forgot Justin Turner would stop playing.
Speaker 1: Two left. We've got we've got a brave.
Speaker 3: We've got a cardinal.
Speaker 1: Cardinal has been rounded about a bit, played a lot of positions. Some would call him a super utility man. Cato, there we go, well done. He's number ten that leaves number three. Is a brave, pitching brave, I already said, Charlie Morton was not. I know there's two Braves on the list for.
Speaker 3: A brave, so it's a reliever, Tyler mad.
Speaker 1: No, but we're getting there. Wait, hang on, is he a break a j mintor.
Speaker 3: Why have you done this?
Speaker 1: Brave? He is a brave. He definitely is a bo He picked up?
Speaker 4: Was he picked up in the trade deadline?
Speaker 1: Was he picked up in the trade deadline? No? He is three years a brave. Last other team he played for was the Angels.
Speaker 3: Robs across the worlds on in half an hour. I've not got number three?
Speaker 1: Is Jesse Chavez? Oh?
Speaker 6: Is he's still going.
Speaker 1: Number three?
Speaker 2: Get yeah? He keeps getting like released and re signed by the Braves, doesn't he?
Speaker 3: Jesse Chavez legend.
Speaker 1: We'll cut all the dead air out there. That'll take about thirty seconds.
Speaker 2: It's fine, good, okay, I didn't mean to say rich Hill, by the way, Darius put that in my head and I just got really and I think I was just ben just I was just channeling that energy that you brought.
Speaker 3: So it's all your fault. Sorry, rich Hill.
Speaker 2: But we're way past the jump in the shark on rich Hill. He's gone from being you know, remember when rich Hill got signed from the Long Island Ducks and he had that you know what we thought was his Indian Summer and he ended up on getting the deal with with Oakland and then the three year deal with the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: That was like seven years ago.
Speaker 2: And he keeps getting signed by the Red Sox every year when they like ship the bed. I'm mad enough anyway, Let's talk about something good.
Speaker 3: Rob What what? What? What's good? You said you had more bad than good, but.
Speaker 1: More bad than good. But do you have some good shown?
Speaker 4: He's good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, yeah, showy. He just eclipsed his force in the best possible way by by putting both his fortieth steel in the same game as his fortieth home run, which coincidentally was also a walk off Grand Slam. I don't think there's any way to better underline your forty forty than doing that. So mister show, mister Otani, take a bow. You've done it in the best possible way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's he's quite good. Ben yet again, I mean follow that yeah hard too.
Speaker 5: But I'm I'm gonna shout out Picrow Armstrong and his inside the park home run.
Speaker 6: That was kind of electric, wasn't it.
Speaker 5: I think it was the fastest recorded by statcast since twenty seventeen.
Speaker 6: And it was one of those which was Baron Buxton obviously, And.
Speaker 5: It was one of those rare inside the park home runs where like there wasn't just a floundering fielder who dived and the ball got passed him. And it was kind of a bit of a boring one because that was never a chance to get home. He didn't take a bit of a weird bounce off the wall, but it wasn't like a horrendous misplay. He just absolutely legged it for the minute he made contact with it. It was close at home plate, but a picture perfect head first dive into the plate.
Speaker 6: It was brilliant. I loved it.
Speaker 5: And you know, the game's kind of meaningless is Cubs smilings near the team's any good?
Speaker 6: But Crow Armstrong's a fun player.
Speaker 5: He's going to be good for the Cubs spears to come, And that was an amazing moment of just pure speed talent on display. Yeah, I thought that was brilliant. So shout out PCA and a rare moment of joy for Cubstams this year.
Speaker 3: Great Russell, anything good that you've seen?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm here to talk about Big Christmas. Oh yes, jo Kenzie Noel to those who don't know, the fact Cleveland have probably ran through about fifty five thousand outfielders in the last five years trying to find somebody who will stick, and to Kenzy Noel is the current one who is just about capable to be a corner outfield and actually hitting with some power. How long it lasts, don't know. It's a good fun story in a team that's not particularly playing well to have a guy come up and really kind of take on board his big Christmas attitude and bring some presents, much needed presents and much.
Speaker 4: Needed power to the Cleveland lineup.
Speaker 6: So yes, he's.
Speaker 7: What's made the last few weeks actually fun to watch instead of just being entirely depressing.
Speaker 2: I love it, and I love the fact that you've won a near miss of my of my list of goods this week was it being revealed that Trent Thornton, the Seattle Mariner's picture, goes by the nickname the Big Dridle. So we're we're going across all of the dominant denominations in their sort of December festivities there with Trent Thornton Andrew Kenzie, Noel so he who says that we're not diverse and inclusive podcast here on Backflips and Nerds with the Brig Dridle and Big John Kenzie. I love it, So I'm not to be a complete homer. I have got other other teams that I want to talk about, but I'm going to say something good about the Red Sox, and that's that they had the first team led all women's booth on Monday, on Bank Holiday Monday here in the UK of Emma Tiderman and Riley Pay. They are usual the play by play by play announcer and color analyst for the double A Portland Sea Dogs, but I'm quite often joined by Emma's pretty newborn baby. So three women booth off and down there in Portland, which is great. But on this Monday, and they called some of the innings for the Red Sox game against the Blue Jays, not not the Danny Jansen game, that the one that was the other half of the doubleheader.
Speaker 3: And it's great. Just think it a fantastic thing for the Red Sox.
Speaker 2: Had done great to see that diversity of voice within Major League Baseball, and even better, I saw that, you know, the absolute icon of women's sports, Billy gene King has been celebrating them.
Speaker 3: They've been fang oliver that which thing.
Speaker 2: So congratulations to Emma and to Riley on that amazing achievement and huge round for plause, to the Red Sox organization and Essen for giving the.
Speaker 3: Opportunity to do it. Rob let's take it down a notch again, mate.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've got kind of a sad one. I've got one that's a bit sillier. I don't know if I go with Alex Vadugo being allergic to his batting gloves, but I think I'm gonna leave that one for now. Well reported, it's just ludicrous. I've been watching the Oaklan Day's quite a lot, and it's been a bit sad because we've got into that kind of phase of the season where it's like the last at the at the Coliseum. You know, there's been a bit of that going on. You know, I'll watch the Rays play there and cameraon isn't potentially was the last rookie to get his first hit at the Colisseum like that kind of stuff. Has all started hitting hitting home Now they look like they're having a lot of fun. The guy's playing there locally, you know that the team isn't doing as bad as we thought they would, and they look like they're they're having some fun. But like there's like the visiting teams are all all going up Mount Davis to have like that sort of one last look from up there and you do something silly up there, and they're trying to make it fun where they can. But it the the overarching of messages, of course, that this is a bit of a travesty of baseball. Like I've visited that stadium. It does need bull dozing, don't get me wrong, But the way it's all gone has been has been pretty awful. So yeah, it's it's not been nice and I've not particularly enjoyed watching those those games.
Speaker 4: I couldn't disagree more. I think it's a great stadium. What's outside the stadium. Yeah, it's it's not the.
Speaker 7: Greatest concrete monstrosity, but once you're inside that bowl, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: The facilities de I mean, like the I've likets.
Speaker 3: But he loves a pole cat.
Speaker 7: Haven't been repainted in like six years and you can seal the russ.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's not nice. It needs it needs really and like it's it's not a good stadium. It doesn't make any sense the way you navigate it. Like it leaks some places it shouldn't. It is rusty and odd places. It's got so much character. I had a beautiful time there, Absolutely loved the place. But if you take it as a facility and ignore the fact that it's got nostalgia value, it's not an appropriate facility for any kind of professional team. Like you know that that I frequent League One football quite often, and and a lot of that those stadiums are are significantly better than the Oakland.
Speaker 7: A's just half of those clubs have been put through redundancy and administration to get the money to do that. Bring back the concrete monstrosities of like the old Den, and like the that's what that's what you need.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, anyway, the sad things are happening there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ben, a good bad from you.
Speaker 5: Sorry, yeah, I'm saying on the topic of things that are rusty and not fit for purpose, it's it's the Seattle Marina's life again. So we did discuss earlier that the Mariners have have been bad. I think part of the way at the start of season you could squint and see them being good was this seeming ascension to superstardom the outfield of Judio Rodriguez was on. It's all gone a little bit wrong for him this year, and especially of late. I think since the All Star break he's hitting one fish six. He's been dealing with injuries, but even when on the field, he hasn't looked right, certainly in the last couple of months, and that's a big miss for the Mariners because they don't really have anyone else around him. We did have this kind of discussion about Corbyn Carroll a couple of months ago, and it seemed to spark him into life, so I'm hoping it will do the same for Julio. But yeah, a very disappointing season for him. The talent is obviously still there. I'm not worried long term, but you have to think that the injuries aren't you know, aren't passing the way that they should be, or something's just gone horribly wrong from a coaching perspective, there because he has looked a sort of shell at the player who lit up.
Speaker 6: The league last year, so hopefully he can he can sort that out soon.
Speaker 7: Russell over to you, I don't know if it's just because I see snippets of bad umpiring more than I see all the snippets is good umpiring.
Speaker 4: But it's been really bad the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 7: There's been some umpire score cork at audits have had some absolute shockers of showing kind of eighty five percent accuracy or whatever, and my Twitter feed or gets a bit of that. Then my Instagram feed is literally just people actively hating non umpires, followed by a minor league game where there's a call, bad call, person challenges it goes to first instantaneously instead of walking, instead of yeah, it takes three seconds done. Why is this not a Major league baseball now? Like this just needs to change, Like we don't want bad things to happen in a game that we don't want umpires deciding games by mistakes It's like, I've not heard being talked about being implemented for next season yet, but it might be. But it's just it's an embarrassment when effectively the lower tier of professional baseball has this and it's not in the major leagues. It's just utterly ridiculous. We need the ABS challenge system now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: And whilst we're on the topic of bad umpiring, if for majors, dwell there for a moment, I note that there's going to be an ESPN thirty for thirty about Armando Galarraga's famous non perfect game, which comes up by think it's going to be released in October, and from a really great and of course this being thirty to thirty incredibly portentious trailer, there's this sort of pregnant suggestion that maybe they may have pushed Major League Baseball to change the ruling.
Speaker 3: On that game. How do you feel about Russell's shaking his head? I knew and he wasn't going to.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I did they protest the game?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 6: Did they? Did they?
Speaker 4: I don't know any of the details behind it.
Speaker 7: If I was the team, I would have I would have protested the game and just walked off the field and not play the rest of it or whatever and just be like, this is a farce. I don't think you're probably going to do that when you're winning the game. When someone's just lost, you just lost their perfect game opportunity. But if this was a British baseball the protest would have been sent to the Baseball Commissioner.
Speaker 3: Within would have been death threats.
Speaker 2: Absolutely definitely, we should probably move the conversation on incredibly swiftly after that. Okay, uh my, my, my bad, my too good, too bad, my having a bad week, and I'm kind of disappointed. Back to your point about the blanket coverage of Danny Jansen earlier, Russell that this has not got more run than it than it really deserved, because it's another thing that had never happened before that happened on the self same day, which is the first time in baseball history that two brothers have given up walk off home runs on the same day, which was the Diaz brothers, Alexis and Edwin. So I like this a lot, but it's certainly like a bad thing to have happened. So, you know, it's sort of a bit of a similitude in that in terms of having several feelings about it at the same time. But yeah, but too good, too bad, and they're too bad, too bad things that happened to the Diaz family not quite simultaneously, but I certainly in the same sphere of time. Right, Let's let's round it out with some with some goodnes.
Speaker 1: Rob players weekend bats. I think they've been fantastic, They've been great fun. There's been some really really clever ones, some really fun ones. Why can't we do this more often? Like I get that maybe if we did it all the time, they'd be a bit a bit much, but you know, I just like Brandon marsh had himself on his own bat, that's fantastic, good well done him.
Speaker 4: And then.
Speaker 1: On reception, yeah, absolutely, and like obviously Rice Harper pandered. But then also after he pandered, he he got his kids like his kids did his bat like it was a it was a crap kid drawing design. You know, that was fun. We like that, you know, like Colton Cows, I had cows. Like these people people are generally have a little bit of a little bit of a sense of a humor that we just don't get to see very often. In baseball, and I think bats were really good fun. So you know, like there was so many of them. I got a list, a list, a list of here, like Jake Rogers had his journey on it that was cool. Uh, Tovar had groot Gonna. Henderson had a mustache that looks looked alarming me like the pringles man's mustache, which which our very own Pringle has recently shaved off and it looks now But yeah, why can we have more of these bats? I think they're good fun. They're good fun. We like the bats.
Speaker 6: We do.
Speaker 3: We do like the bats. Other than when bay Brief's handling them. Ben over to, you.
Speaker 5: Wouldn't ever want to have all of la rubbish. You won't do anything to his players a weekend bat Bay.
Speaker 3: More like the ship anyway.
Speaker 6: That's two good subjects.
Speaker 5: And yeah, my final good is is s n Y the Mets broadcast.
Speaker 6: And I know we talk a.
Speaker 5: Lot about how good their broadcast booth is Gary ron Keith, but I'm actually going to talk a little bit about the production crew. I just think the s n Y production crew and the level production they put into their broadcast has reached unbelievable levels this season. It was kind of brought into the spotlight a little bit last week when they had the two walk off home runs one by Jesse Wingo one by Francisco Alvarez. But the unbelievable production work in terms of camera angles, getting all the reactions they want to from the crowd, from the players. I mean, they are the very best in the business. I think John demaster Co is the director who deserves a credit for this. He has a Twitter account that's worth following where they sort of do some of those shots them inside the inside the production truck and talking about how they cut from one camera angle to another. You can see the sort of organized chaos that is a baseball broadcast. But yeah, I just think they make the game of baseball look absolutely beautiful night in, night out with their with their choice of shots, with the way they transition from one to the other. And they deserve their flowers for turning baseball from a sport into an art form at times, and obviously, yeah, backed up by those great guys in the booths, so shout out at smy I think they made the sport even more enjoyable to watch than the one we already know and love.
Speaker 3: I love it loving the Mets. Shocker, Who would have thought Ben doesn't support the Nets?
Speaker 2: Come on, I love that. That's a really, really great out of the box choice. Also gives me a moment to just talk about Winkers walkoff celebration, which just what every single home run walkoff should be celebrated, like, made all of the right people incredibly angry.
Speaker 3: Jeff Fry, You, I mean, it was just unbelievable. That's exactly what.
Speaker 2: That's what anyone would do if they hit a home.
Speaker 3: Hi, Russell over to you.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think mine's from a couple of weeks back, there was a clip from an upcoming documentary which actually might have been shown on MLB Network the other day now about from the Bonds, which was the There's a clip of Bonds and Maddocks talking through and at bat from when they were in their prime against each other and then both talking through like what they were thinking, how they were going against it, and started off with Bonds being like, oh, I'm not going to remember this, and then get shown the clip and it's like, okay, so immediately this is what I was thinking going into this pitch. He knows like exactly like what he was thinking against Maddox, and it was such an interesting way to kind of see two of these great kind of talk through just just a random moment in a random game around remember, like a plate appearance between the two of them. And so if you haven't seen that clip, I think obviously the documentary is coming out with Actually might've already been think it was maybe the twenty fifth, but yeah, it's well worth watching to kind of both hear described that at.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, that is a great clip. Definitely worth looking at, those two legends talking apart their craft and sort of bouncing off one another. Yeah, sort from the sublime to the ridiculous. Because I'm going to give it, after Ben giving sny Sny's back office a bit of a nod, I'm going to give a nod to some of the unsung heroes of Major League Baseball. That is, the kit men who make up make up the Kits, who this week have had the Leviathan task of fulfilling the longest starting pitching dual of all time in terms of the length of their names, which was between Spencer Schwellen back of the Atlanta Braves and Simeon Woods Richardson of the Minnesota twins that combined length of twenty nine letters, the longest names on the back of Major League Baseball jerseys going head to ahead ever in a starting pitching jill. And as we all know, there's been a lot of contry obviously around these new uniforms, but maybe, maybe, just maybe fanatics and Nike knew that there was going to be a schwellenback versus Woods Richardson Duwell this year, and that's why they made the letters really tiny. And if they did, that was the level of foresight that one expects of some of the great sports brands of the world. But yeah, that was a fun curio. I had to see those two guys get to face off against one another at the same time. Right, guys, We've had a lovely old chat. I hope everyone's had a lovely time listening to it. We've got gone from everything from Ben's outright hatred of bain Proof three to John Kenzie Noel. I mean, what other podcast can you say? Does that in just over an hour and we've managed it lovely to see you all. I would ask the usual questions like do you have any writing coming up? But of course you don't, and I'm just going to boast that I did some so pull your fingers out, guys. Yeah, get yourself over to bathfortonners dot com. There's a lot of great content going up there all the time, and cleaning occasionally by by me uh and we will see you again very soon