Speaker 1: Hello on Michael Connolly, and you're listening to Killer in the Code Solving the Black Dalia and Zodiac Cases. This is chapter ten. And since we began this podcast eight weeks ago and exposed the suspect behind two of the most infamous crimes of the last century, one man has emerged as the villain in the investigation. And it's not Marvin Margolis, the suspect we need. It is the investigator who first named him. Ironically, it is citizens to lose Alex Baber, who is the focus of upset and anger in the online communities dedicated to these crimes and the many theories about who perpetrated them. We're going to take a hard look at Baber and retrace his path to what might be the greatest cold case solve of the century. Fifty year old Alex Baber is not a law enforced an officer, never has been. He's an amateur and never denies it. He describes himself as an autistic genius with a gift for finding quote the hidden beneath the hidden. He has a company called Cold Case Consultants of America and offers his skills free of charge to those who need answers. In their loved ones cases. He also conducts his own investigations into some of the greatest mysteries of our time, bringing with him a unique sense of perception, logic, and confidence. One of those mysteries was the long unsolved Zodiac case. Baber's skill set allowed him to do what most claimed was undoable, that is, break the Z thirteen cipher left behind by the Zodiac more than fifty years ago. The Z thirteen, so named for its thirteen digits, is also known as the my name is cipher because then the letter sent to the San Francisco Chronicle that contained it the Zodiac claimed that the code contained his name. With the help of a self written AI program, Baber broke the code after a month long project to weed through more than seventy million possible names that fit the cipher, including the requirement that the solution contained three letters twice and won three times. The resulting solution, the name Marvin Merrill, turned out to be the alias for Marvin Margolis, a prime suspect in the nineteen forty seven murder in Los Angeles of Elizabeth Short, better known as the Black Dahlia. Baber then enlisted a team of investigators to help carry his discovery forward. These were not amateurs. They included Rick Jackson and Missy Roberts, both recently retired from the Los Angeles Police Department, where they worked commisized for decades. Roberts had just retired the supervisor of the cold Case unit, where she was custodian of the Black Dalia case for fifteen years. Baber's announcement of a solution to the Cipher and his linking of the Zodiac and Black Dalia cases set off a firestorm of debate and pushedback, most of which was aimed personally at Baber. His motives were questioned, his honesty was questioned, and despite the independent confirmation by three veteran codebreakers formerly with the National Security Agency, his Z thirteen solution was questioned as well. Did I say questioned? That is probably too polite a word. Baber has been attacked by the naysayers, most often with misinformation and no shortage of vitriol. So what is it about Alex Baber that upsetsed so many people? Obviously, many of his critics are well invested in competing theories as to who committed these crimes. If Baber is right, then they're wrong, but there's more to it than that. And even Baber knows.
Speaker 2: That I'm easy to dislike, and I think it's my personality and it's non intentional. I come across sometimes arrogant and conceited. It's confidence to me, but there's also a degree that I don't necessarily show the public of me being humble behind the scenes. If people could see me at two in the morning when I get frustrated because you know, I'm I've almost I'm almost there or I'm almost identified. I feel it and I know it's there, but I'm just not able to reach it yet. And you know, while I have to represent the agency and my people as being you know, strong and good at what we do, we're still human and they make mistakes, and you know, it's it's hard for me to sometimes admit that because I feel like I failed, but I've also learned it failures what got me where I'm at today. I not failed at Z eighteen. I would have never approached thirteen the way that I did. And you know, that's one of the things that I'm grateful for is that with age, I've learned to allow myself to be more human and not not so insensitive to people or to what they see me as or what they want to see me ask I should say.
Speaker 1: Rick Jackson has worked closely with Baber for almost a year. I point blank asked him what the deal was with Baber? How come so many people line up again? Instant?
Speaker 3: His personality can come off sometimes very impatient, It can come off arrogant, and I think part of that is the way he's described how his autism has affected his personality style, his directness at times, sometimes his maybe moodiness a little bit. But with all that being said, you know, I mean, I've been working criminal investigations for you know, four decades now, thirty six in homicide, and you work with all different types of people. We as investigators look at evidence, and when Alex presented this, despite him coming off a little bit cocky at times, I couldn't just kind of walk away from this. I was compelled with the evidence to move forward. And AMIDSTI, Roberts, when I explained my interest in having her come on board, has told me the same thing.
Speaker 1: I have to add.
Speaker 3: Another thing is when he has met with other law enforcement, some of the feedback I've gotten is he's so arrogant, and again I explain about his background and such, and I said, he's just so driven and determined. When he gets on something, he does not let it go. And that's part of his personality and part of his autistic nature. And it's also given him the drive to put together what he's put together, which to me, again is very, very very compelling evidence. I don't care what anybody says. I'm compelled by it.
Speaker 1: Babers a high school dropout. He grew up in rural Florida. People online like to claim he grew up in Ohio and finished high school there got the wrong, Baber. Imagine having to defend yourself as a high school dropout. Even further, imagine having to defend yourself against allegations that there weren't killers in your family as you have claimed. That's how weupside down the internet can get. But unfortunately for Baber, it is true. And Christmas Eve nineteen sixty nine, his uncle murdered his aunt and her husband, a double killing witness by a sheriff's deputy. Family laure also held that his grandfather was a killer as well, a man who went unprosecuted because of his standing in the community and the lack of standing of the migrant workers. You may disappear diagnose with autism. As a teenager, Baber retreated from school and disappeared into reading. The fictional hero that inspired it was named Sherlock Holmes.
Speaker 2: That some across a Sherlock Holmes book one time and had no interest in it at first, But once I started reading it, you know, out chapter or two in it kind of you know, had my attention to the point to where I couldn't put the book down. So I ended up reading the book straight through. And I kind of related to him having, you know, this desire to want to to help people and to believe that no cases is unsolvable. And you know his books, there's no matter how difficult, how complex they murder may be or disappearance, he always figures it out.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: He never never gives up. He believes in himself, he believes his abilities, and he always finds a way. He was, in all likely that probably autistic long before the term ember existed. He was definitely a CD, and I think that his brain was not wired the way that your average individuals would be or or as mine. As you know, I've been told many times by my doctors as well as people who know me that I don't necessarily think the same way everybody else does in it ring.
Speaker 1: The next hero that captured Baber's unsettled mind wasn't a fictional character. It was Alan Turing, the English mathematician and cryptanalyst known as the father of computer science and who played a crucial role in decrypting intercepted messages from the Germans during World War Two and helped the Allies defeat the access power.
Speaker 2: Allan's more of a hero to me that he is an inspiration alone. You know what he did for Darrel Worth two, taking the Enigma machine which was to be uncrackable, right believed to be. And he would take no financier either. You know he when everybody resisted his vision, they literally, I mean the guy went through a degree of abatists. To be honest with you, if you ever watched the documentary and reached some of the literature, and he never wavered. Just the idea of tackling a problem of that magnitude and then achieving the objective to where they say he shortened the war by two years, and I believe that he saved on probably millions of lives. His way of thought was just not your traditional meanings. Whenever he looked at things, he looked at you like he was the father of Ai. You know, on zero one he was the beginning of what we have today.
Speaker 1: Dabor said he became fixated on the Zodiac killer ciphers, including disease thirteen, nearly twenty years ago, from the moment he walked out of a movie theater where he had seen the David Fincher directed film Zodiac. It led him down a path that was fraught with amateur missteps and false moves he would later regret, and that would provide misunderstood fodder for his detractors today. Like the boy who cried Wolf, Baber had been crying I solved it for years, only it hasn't been the same suspect each time. Though it was a trial and error process. The Internet has been unforgiving. In this era of Internet saluting, where expert status is granted the people who have never investigated a single crime, let alone a cold case murder, Baber ironically finds himself facing Internet denizens defending the man he is accused and whose own family has worked with Baber and turned over the most compelling evidence gathered in his investigation. He has faced the scorn of amateur cryptanalysts who say Baber and the independent team of cryptanalysts with more than one hundred years of combined code breaking for the NSA are wrong. To me. This is the flip side of the Golden State Killer case, where the work of an amateur saluth inspired law enforcement to identify a serial killer who had escaped justice for decades. This time it is the amateur sleuth who's the villain. I sat down to talk to Baber about all this and discussed the crooked paths he took to the Z thirteen solution, and Marvin Margol was ak Marvin Merrill.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In beginning, having no understanding of cryptography outside of the average individual, I attacked the or attempted to decrypt the Z eighteen, which is the final eighteen symbols of the Z four oh eight that the artists weren't able to to identify the key for it. And I tried to make a suspect fit a letter frequency or character account, and I used anagrammy and while the name fit it, later I realized that that's not how cryptography works, you know, if you go in with a suspect in mind, you can make just not anybody's name fit if you've been the rules and you don't stick to the methodologies that you need. And it took me over a decade to realize that, you know, to me, almost fifteen years he realized it.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, the suspect he pursued all those years was Lawrence Klein, who many to this day believed was the Zodiac Killer. Like Margolis, he moved around often and employed several aliases, including variations of the last name Kane. Maybe fixated on him because this high intellect in training made him the perfect author the Zodiac ciphers. Going down this rabbit hole allowed Baber to put him in proximity to other infamous unsolved cases, and Baber wasn't shy about going to the Internet with his findings. Klein died in twenty ten in Nevada, but before that, Baber reported that a man had called him on a phone with a Nevada area code to discuss that case just two days after he posted his z eighteen solution online. Baber believed at the time it was the Zodiac Lawrence Klein. There are many Baber detractors on the Internet who conflate his activities regarding Klein with his more recent findings and point out inconsistencies, for example, asking how could Marvin Margolis have called Baber in two thousand and seven when he died in nineteen ninety three. Well, the short answer to that is that he didn't, and Baber has not claimed so. Baber continued to name Klein as the zodiac into his late as twenty twenty two, before coming to terms with having gone down the wrong path.
Speaker 2: I realized that there's no way he was a zombiac. I was able to eliminate him as a suspect.
Speaker 1: All the while, Baber was refining his knowledge of cryptology, being self taught in most of his life skills. He started over.
Speaker 2: Once I understood how pryotography worked from a scientific point, it was a different journey for me, because then I had to get back to square one, and I tackled the z thirteen believing that he did in fact provide his name. And in order to do that to a different perspective anybody before me in history, I wanted to get every possible solution and eliminate them into ail. They had one man standing and that was a very long, difficult road. It's hard for people to grasp that or comprehend that. You know, they say what they will, but they weren't there with me, working, you know, eighteen twenty hour days, six seventies a week, and I failed many at times before I got to where I was at. It wasn't just you know, all go and butterflies and lollipops. There was times that I thought I'd give it up.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, We've tried to explain this, or I think we have, but as you just said, it doesn't register with a lot of people. Can you talk.
Speaker 4: About how you created a list of seventy one million possible names that would fit that site for that thirteen digit cipher, and people must keep in mind.
Speaker 1: There were some rules to those thirteen digits where I think three symbols were repeated twice and one was repeated three times, and that creates rules for what names can fit in there.
Speaker 2: Well, we had to have some assumptions in order to even consider tackling it the way that I had envisioned. We had to assume that the key to the Z thirteen would be a monolphabetical meaning one letter to one character, not a homophonic. You add in a homophonic, then the Z thirteen would be impossible to crack because you could have multiple aathdical letters representing one symbol. So that cut down considerably the potential candidates as I referred to them. Secondly, I had to identify an establish methodology. We couldn't use antagrammy, and I learned that from two thousand and seven, you know, with the Lawrence kleient Kane solution that I developed from the Z eighteen. So taking that into consideration and realizing that we couldn't go down that road again, I had to approach it with every possible solution based on the number of characters and letter frequency possibilities. So I had to go and get every possible name that was out there, and the best route to do that was the Ssassays Treaty administration. If I get every male first and middle name and then every documented surname and upload those and start pairing them together, whether it be a first name only, that's thirteen characters first name, middle name combination first name, middle initial, last name, first initial, middle name, last name. I had to have every possibility in order to be sure that I covered because I couldn't leave any open doors because I knew that when we shared this with the public, they become a pitchforks and torches, and I wanted to make sure that I at least had every possible variable covered.
Speaker 1: Baby used an AI program to weigh through the massive database and whittle it down.
Speaker 2: Once I had the grouping of the names, meaning the possible quote unquote candidates, at that point I had to eliminate them, and that's where AI came in. AI allowed me to crawl the web.
Speaker 1: The program eliminated candidates based on parameters of race, gender, age, geography, and many other factors. When the database was reduced to double digits, a more intense forensic examination of each candidate occurred. The last man standing was Marvin Merrill. The digital pitchforks and tortures Baber mentioned did indeed come and continue to come, but Baby remained undaunted. He says the mistakes of the past have made him a better and smarter investigator, smart enough to bring in professional homicide investigators like Jackson and Roberts to backcheck his work, and honest enough to turn his work over without hesitation to the team of NSA code breakers led by Ed Georgio, the only man in NSA history to serve as the agency's chief code breaker and code maker. Georgio put together a team with more than one hundred years experience in code breaking for the government agency. They backchecked Baber's work and came up with the same result. They also attacked the cipher from the standpoint of the author with the Zodiac and discovered keywords that further confirmed the work.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's vanishingly small odds that Martin Merrow is not the guy.
Speaker 1: Georgio told me that Baber belongs on the Mount Rushmore of Zodiac codebreakers. He added that his team's conclusions withstand the popular Internet claim that a cipher as short as thirteen digits is unbreakable.
Speaker 5: So a short cipher about which nothing is known often cannot be broken. But the fact that such a cipher sometimes cannot be broken is not the same as saying it can never be broken, especially when real world's constraints are involved, and for some ciphers, under sufficient conditions, a solution can nearly always be found.
Speaker 1: Paper is continuing his investigation of Marvin Merrill and with the backing of professionals like Giorgio and others who have actually done the work, he remains undaunted by the Pitchfords and Torches. These days, he is often reminded of his hero Alan Torrey.
Speaker 2: He's here today, He's present every day I can help my log into my computer. He's here because without him, I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing. I wouldn't be able to achieve what I've achieved with their team.
Speaker 1: And you have the.
Speaker 2: World telling you that you can't do something, and you believe in your heart of arts that you can, and that you refuse to take no for an answer. It does ring on whenever you look at somebody like him, who saved so many lives and did what he was able to do at the time. You know, I just I would. I'm inspired by him.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to Killer in the Code Solving the Black Dahia and Zodiac cases. This episode was written and produced by me Michael Connolly and was edited by Teroll Lee Langford, with music and post production services by Mark Henry Phillips. Be sure to subscribe to the podcast so you can be informed the future episodes when they come out. Many thanks for listening,