Speaker 1: Thank you, John. It is six oh five here at Kentucky, Ana's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty Whas thanks for hanging out with us. We've got Mayor Greenberg set to join us at eight forty five this morning. He's an Omaha for the College World Series, so he'll be calling in all right, he's going to share some special news and we're looking forward to that. So again eight forty five, we'll have Mayor Greenberg on with us.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, looking forward to it for sure. So when it comes to the one of the bigger stories in the last I guess a few days, it's been the scary, scary accident that took place. You just heard there in the news update from John that the driver of the of the semi truck then ended up on fire and then fell off of the the on ramp. I don't mean to laugh, but it's just you say it out loud, and it's something in a movie.
Speaker 2: That you wouldn't necessarily expect to.
Speaker 1: Be and you also wouldn't expect somebody who was driving said vehicle to be to be okay. And he guess he's not okay, he's he's I think just I know that this person was with ems and seemingly not in a situation where they were fearing for his life. That was like such a oh my good, this is amazing.
Speaker 2: But he is.
Speaker 1: He's banged up. He does have some injuries which when you jump twenty feet from the cab of your eighteen wheeler, broken leg, ankle, and foot. So no life threading injuries, but certainly something that's going to put him put him out of work for a while. His wife says that the surgery is gonna happen and it's going to be a long and lengthy recovery. Therefore, they've launched that GoFundMe to support their family, as it sounds like he doesn't have insurance. But the cause of the crash is still under investigation, and I don't really know what we can expect to come from that. I wouldn't know, so maybe this is just me talking out of my rear end here, but I mean to me, it's just going to be the conditions outside and maybe going a little too fast. I don't know. Maybe there is I mean again, you never really know. Maybe there is something that we'll find that was a big factor and why that wreck happened. We'll know once they conclude that that investigation. But with there being multiple accidents like that, not just over the last I don't know year and some change. I mean, there's been a lot of accidents with semis in that area, not to that extent where you've got the cab or the truck itself hanging from the bridge, but I think it's the third semi accident in the area in the past month. So obviously safety concerns, that's that's that's a big talking point. Maya Greenberg did announce plans for road improvements, including that epoxy surface and new markings that that we talked about. But yeah, a scary, scary situation, and this is something I wanted to share with you guys. This is one of the many there were many nine to one one calls that took place. People and again that's that's a sign of good people out there that are seeing this. And you know, you probably think, I'm sure somebody's called by now, but you I could also see a situation where people just assume that somebody else has taken to taking up taking it upon themselves to call, and maybe they don't. But there were many calls that came in the nine one one after people were witnessing such a scary situation, a bad accident without the fire. Then you throw those big flames and black smoke, and you know that somebody's inside. That's that's a scary situation, not only for of course Jeffrey Walker, the the driver of the crash, but also those that are that are that are near and have a helpless feeling. They want to help this person as best they can. But obviously that's not an easy thing to do.
Speaker 2: But here is.
Speaker 1: Here's one of the nine one one calls that came in on Friday morning, and it would help. In fact, I do think that if you if you want to play sound, I think turning it up would be beneficial. I think that's a big I think that's a big part of radio. So here we go. Here's the sound.
Speaker 3: I'm sixty by south just across the bridge, and there is a truss that is there's a guy inside of there, and there's a big semi and it is on fire. It's yes, and there is a guy trapped side of it right now and there is no way for him to get out. Like anything golfs and planes, the's just in line that blew up on the highway.
Speaker 4: It's going off, it's going off the bridge.
Speaker 3: We do have a report of a sema off the road and on tie.
Speaker 2: We reached out to LA.
Speaker 1: So again that's court of see of our partners over at WLKY. So. I mean, I I feel like each time this this story is uh, there's an update to it, which again we heard from the driver himself and his family. And now we have nine one one calls. I see a new video that somebody just out and about near the area, got out their phone and posted to Instagram or Twitter, Facebook, whatever, and it it is insane one to just see it, but also to know that that this person survived and yes he does have some injuries. But man, scary scary stuff. All right, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way. What I want to get to on the other side before we get to our next sports update with mister Scott Fitzgerald. I think there's a real wake up call right now across the country with universities in their athletic department as far as how much different things are going to be moving forward because of a twenty plus million dollar bill payment. Essentially that they have to pay now, So we'll get into that on the other side. At first, an update on traffic and weather right here on Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight to forty Whas it is six sixteen here at Kentucky. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas I would say, the biggest takeaway for me now in my third week here in this big big in the big chair, on the big stick as they call it. So for those who don't know, my background is in sports. I worked in sports radio for over ten years and I always knew that it was a niche thing to an extent, but maybe I didn't realize it that it was as niche of a thing. And look, sports is a huge part of our culture, but as far as people who are listening every day to what's going on on sports talk radio, it's just not as big of there's just not as many people that do that as far as you know, compared to those that actually enjoy watching going to games to where it's again it's a social thing for them and it's part of our culture. So there's a lot of people who love the red love the Blue Louisville fans, Kentucky fans that keep up with it as best they can, but they've got a lot of stuff going on. They've got their careers, their children, lives, that kind of stuff. So if you are one of those fans, I want you to know that, without it being anything you've noticed just yet, and you may not really ever notice it from a fan standpoint, but college sports in the last couple of weeks, whenever the House settlement was complete, I mean, it's changed college sports forever. And I'm not just talking about players being able to make money through NIL or the transfer portal giving you free agency. That's been going on for at least a few years now, but moving forward, schools are going to have to start sharing revenue with athletes. So now schools who want to complete at a schools who want to compete at a high level, they're going to have a twenty plus million dollar annual bill that they have to pay that didn't used to be in the plan. So now you're going to have to find ways to get that money. And I think the obvious the obvious thought here as wow, the schools that don't have is is deep a pockets that don't have the sec or the big ten money. They're really struggling. And yes, you're right, but it's not just there. Twenty million dollars annually for any athletic department is not just a okay whatever, I mean, it's now again, there are some schools that they'll never run out of money because they've got supporters that that that have got the deepest pockets out there. But that's that, that's not there's not many that are like that. So what's happening is that you're seeing these schools cut some costs. I mean, just to give you some examples, Michigan they've cut their athletic staff by ten percent and it's to reduce a twenty seven million dollars shortfall to fifteen million. This was news last week. Is they they projected a thirty one million dollar deficit over two years, and they plan they plan one hundred and ten million dollars in revenue ventures meeting. They're investing in things to make it a bigger payday when they open up their gates at their sporting events. Another power program, certainly in basketball, not as much in football, but in the Big twelve Kansas they may they may stop covering the athletes tuition and housing. Wichita State they've raised tuition at the school about three point five percent, citing athlete pay. Florida, they're exploring different revenue they can pull in with parking and whatnot. They're just You're seeing a lot of creativity out there from universities that are that are aware that this is a big expense that's going to be here every year. It's only going to become more expensive because the revenue is going to continue to grow for these universities. Right like the SEC, the Big ten, they they are the most lucrative conferences as far as their TV TV deal. But they'll re up in the next few years or whenever that is, and it'll be more money. Therefore, you'll be asked to share even more revenue. So as far as the u of L side of it, it's tough to know exactly what they'll do. I mean, their strategy, I guess is still unfolding. It sounds like we'll know a little more about maybe some plans they have to If it's not cutting costs, it's certainly going to be just what can we do to I mean, everything helps. There's going to be a lot of different revenue streams created just to try to make it to where that twenty plus million dollar annual payment is not as big of a hit. And I don't know if we're going to see the cutting of sports because most sports at the NCAA level do not make you money. They cost you a lot of money. Football and rarely Louisville and Kentucky, Indiana are certainly in the minority here, but basketball makes money at those places. But most places, even schools that you know are good at basketball, they don't turn a profit because of what it costs to fund the program, what it ca to pay the coaches, and now they're paying athletes. So if you see sports getting cut, I wouldn't consider it a huge shock because it's a financial thing at this point. And to me, this is the real this is the real shift here where don't tell us this is not pro sports. This is pro sports. So just just again, if you're just a casual fan, you may not even notice it, but it's a new world when it comes to college athletics. All right, We've got another update of Traffick and Weather coming your way right now. We also have another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald, So keep it locked right here. It's Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty whas six point thirty five. Here Kentucky in his Morning News with Nick Coffee on news radio eight forty whas. So shout out to the Kroger that was shut down for road and infestation for a few days, because they've well, they've got loyal customers. You're not the only one, Scott Fitzgerald, because there was a line for people to get in as they were ready to reopen. I don't know. I'm sure it's a mixture of a lot of things. Maybe just that's that's the closest type of store like that to somebody and they rely on it. Or maybe they just love that store and wanted to show them some real support as they were giving the green light to open up their doors. But I did get some feedback yesterday as far as just when you hear rodent infestation, it's just going to be a no for a lot of people. But maybe they can earn your trust back. Obviously Kroger's got many locations. I don't know this for certain, but I do believe I feel comfortable in saying that this is a very rare situation for a place like Kroger. But yeah, they opened up yesterday and obviously they had a lot of people ready to get back in there. You're going back today, Huh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. And you know we talked off to the year.
Speaker 1: Give them a pat on the back, dude. Probably they're probably feeling pretty you know, do you go to.
Speaker 2: A certain do you have a favorite grocery store that you go to.
Speaker 1: I'm not loyal to one. To me, it's more so about convenience. I think when it comes to Walmart, Art, Kroger, or Meyer, you can, like I believe that you can. You can. First of all, they all get the job done, but you can make a case for different reasons for each of those why one may prefer one over the other two, if that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Because I told you off the air, I go to one because they have the better produce, but I go to the other because they have the better meat. So as we were talking, I brought this up with my wife yesterday because she asked if I was going back to that store because I do. I frequent all of them. I'm not sold just to Proger I'm not sold.
Speaker 1: To she's worried is her husband going to be going to a place infestation?
Speaker 5: But then, but then I asked the question, I said, how many other places do you think have not maybe not on that level, but do have some sort of but don't know about it right now?
Speaker 1: Well, I don't like to think about that because then it would just consume me. But to your point, if people really wanted to just get lost in the in the inspections that take place as far as health codes and whatnot, I mean you may not. I mean, first of all, I just just just a guess here. I think a lot of folks, myself included, would be surprised of things that you could uncover that. Yet still you can stay open exactly, and you don't have a D instead you've got like a B. But again, there's professionals that know what they're doing. I'm not a professional when it comes to that. But yeah, are you loyal to one? I mean again, you say one's good for me, one's good for produce. Which one is?
Speaker 2: Which?
Speaker 1: By the way, I do you feel comfortable saying I'm partial?
Speaker 5: Well, because I used to work at Meyer when I was a kid. That was my first job because they're based out of my hometown. So I used to work there when I was a kid, so I know it. My grandmother used to take me there, my mom's shop there.
Speaker 1: So are they the ones with good produce?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, no, no, no, no, they're the ones. They're the ones good in me? Okay, carg has.
Speaker 1: A good produce, gotcha, John, Do you have a preference?
Speaker 4: I go to Walmart, and it's simply because I know exactly where everything is. I have my route that I go through in the store, and it makes it a quick, easy, twenty to thirty minute grocery trip for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what that's I don't. I don't look forward to trips to Walmart, just to be honest with you. And it's not because of anything Walmart did. It's just I don't. I'm not a big I mean.
Speaker 4: If I have to go to I don't even know. There are certain for me. There's certain Walmarts that do that get the job done. The one in Shepherdsville's one I'm talking about, and there's others that do not get the job done.
Speaker 5: Is there a certain products you fellas go to a certain store for like for example, you guys mentioned Walmart. I may go to Walmart because they're one of the few that care I love Lavish Bride. I'll go to Walmart because they're one of the few places that carry Lavish Right.
Speaker 1: I didn't know that there's not anything that I can think of that I really require or need that the other doesn't have. I'm not real. I'm not real big on brand loyalty either, when it comes to like certain food items. To me, it's just whichever one's closest if I need to go get something. I've always I've always been told that Walmart is the cheapest route compared to really any any level of competition. But I don't know how much that is, meaning like, do you saved that much money at Walmart compared to Kroger Meyer. I guess it depends on what you get. I'm sure there's certain items that may be more expensive elsewhere. Uh, but I think most people probably go off of these these these factors price convenience as far as where it is near your home. But also to John's point, it's really it's a really big deal to know where things are.
Speaker 5: Yes, and some of them had bigger aisles and for example, I like when I buy my meat. I'm old school like that. I like to buy mine out of the counter. In fact, I wish they still wrapped it in the paper. So like Meyer is the place that.
Speaker 1: Does that is old school.
Speaker 2: They've got They've got a good meat. You want.
Speaker 1: You want to face to face with the butcher, don't you.
Speaker 5: I know the guy there and I talked to him all the time, and I go and he asked me, all my kids are doing that?
Speaker 1: That your meat guy. That your meat guy. So or let me ask you all this? Have you all do you do? Have you ever done the order it online? They bring the groceries to the door.
Speaker 2: We did during COVID, okay, but it's easier.
Speaker 5: But even before COVID, I would order a pizza and that would go out and get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't tell how I am.
Speaker 1: So do you have you don't have groceries deliver?
Speaker 4: John, No, But any anything that offers delivery like pizza included, like Scott's talking about, always do carry out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so exactly.
Speaker 1: I don't same here. I do carry out with any food. If we get food, that's that they can be picked up. I don't do delivery, but my wife I mean, she swore she would never not pick out her own groceries. Never. Well, then we had two kids, and then we tried to go grocery shopping with them, and I think we did it once just because we knew we didn't have time to go. And thankfully, we'll probably never go grocery shopping again unless we have to because it is convenient. And uh, what should have been a thirty minute trip to the grocery would be an hour and a half because you know, the kids just want to pick up everything.
Speaker 5: And also, what bangers you play? I'm walking through the store on a big plus too. Really, you give me some guests in the store.
Speaker 2: I'm good.
Speaker 4: Second that Walmart Bay some decent tunes there, I do Joh, I'm.
Speaker 1: Not sure I've ever noticed what music is playing shopping vibes.
Speaker 2: I'm sure I'm with you.
Speaker 1: So do you like going by yourself?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Do you?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, what I was gonna say, it's funny just in this conversation without you all saying, and I could totally tell that you all you all like it's an experience for you, it's you time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 1: Good stuff?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: We got another updated news and actually another update of traffic and weather coming your way. We'll get sports at about six fifty five, and of course seven o'clock we'll have another the news update with John Shannon right here on news Radio eight forty w h AS. It is six forty seven here a Kentucky and it's morning News on news Radio eight forty w h A s don't forget take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the iHeart Radio app. Also listen live at WHAS dot com. Coming up in about two hours roughly, we're going to be joined by Mayor Greenberg, who's going to share some special news with us here as we wrap up the show. Really looking forward to that. So again, set your reminder if you're if you're on your way to work or whatever it is you're doing, just be be prepared. At eight forty five, there should be some some some special news, some cool news. If I say so myself, that's just my opinion, no one else's. But uh yeah, really really looking forward to that. So to continue our conversation about grocery store during the break, I learned more that that that Scott and I have something in common and John maybe you're the same way, because I now know that you guys, you enjoy your time at the grocery store doing your thing, executing for the family, getting what's needed. I mean there's some you know, a lot of people probably have this foolish stigma that you know, the women do the grocery shopping. But in a way, you know, the man's providing that he's bringing the he's bringing the bake at home.
Speaker 5: As they say, I do the grocery shopping and the cooking at home.
Speaker 1: You do the cooking as well.
Speaker 2: I love playing the kid, do you cook?
Speaker 1: John? We split the cooking duties, gotcha.
Speaker 2: It just depends.
Speaker 1: You guys are really making me look bad. I don't do the grocery shopping and I don't do the cooking. Now, my wife, she doesn't enjoy cooking, and I think we all know that if I was to cook, it wouldn't be good. Therefore we could we should utilize the strengths we have in the coffee headquarters, and that is that she is a good cook. But as far as groceries, uh, I would if it did not exist, meaning the where you can order it online and I'll bring it to you, I would probably try to join your all's cool group of go into the grocery and do it yourself, because when I would, I'm now having flashbacks off whenever we would go to the grocery, and I guess it's it's probably like pre kids, which that's how long ago it was my wife. She would inspect every item in every aisle and it would take a long long time. I don't I'm not throwing you guys a lob to throw your significant others under the bus on a humongous radio station, but I'll do it anyway. Scott, it took too long when you went with your wife, John, Do you just do it because you want to do it or is it okay? If we do it together, it's going to be a much longer process than if I just go and get it done myself.
Speaker 4: It's definitely a much longer process when the wife does come along. And the other thing though, is that she doesn't necessarily stick to the list the same way that I am. So yeah, yep, yeah, there's given take with with when she comes. Sometimes it can be a little faster if she wants to get things knocked out the way that I do. But nine times out of ten, where you know, it's not the way that I always envisioned it.
Speaker 5: Go. I told Nick, my wife used to like to buy those prepackaged things.
Speaker 2: They were so expensive.
Speaker 1: Dude, Yeah, they'll yes, And I hadn't thought of that until you mentioned it. But the convenience, if they can do something that is convenient for you, they'll they'll jack up the price and know that you'll pay for it.
Speaker 2: Jack it up and how? And I said.
Speaker 5: The example I gave to Nick was my wife would buy my son the macaroni cups where you just put water in and.
Speaker 2: Stick it in the microwave. I said, buy that child the sixty five cent box of macaroni and teach him how to cook. He can't.
Speaker 5: He knows how to cook now, thank goodness, because he's matured as a kid.
Speaker 1: I remember being just totally stunned to see that. Wait a second, I'm going to pay a lot less for a two liter or so more. Then if I get a twenty ounce that's right here at the checkout, let's convenience, it's already cold for you. So uh, there's way more to it than I'll ever know. But if you really give it, they know our habits as human beings, and they know little things that we don't even notice at times. Oh they did that because they know putting this item here, putting you know, the branding, the messaging within, how they present items. They know what works, and we're suckers.
Speaker 2: Ye yep, that's what it is, right, that's what it is.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. All right, let's uh, let's get another update of traffic and weather, and then we've also got another sports of it coming your way right here on News Radio eight forty whas