Speaker 1: This is WBZ Boston's news radio, redefining local.
Speaker 2: News, eleven o'clock and it's seventy two and sunny in downtown Boston. A beautiful morning. Good morning on Laurie Kirby and our sponsor this half hour Cambridge Savings Bank. We start in the Granite state. New Hampshire reconsiders its highway safety after a fatal crash. WBZTV's Louisa Mola reports from the.
Speaker 3: Cab of his big rig. Mark Welch is used to seeing some crazy things.
Speaker 4: On the road and you got young people that just do my dash cam. I could show you things they do, death defying acts.
Speaker 3: But the corridor he drives often, Interstate ninety five in New Hampshire, saw not just crazy last week but tragic, if you have to say.
Speaker 2: Police say.
Speaker 3: A twenty four year old lost control of his car on ninety five in Greenland, carrening a cross the highway median into a van. The fifty eight year old driver of the van and the twenty four year old were killed. With the tire marks of this crash still fresh on the highway, the state is now considering new safety measures, including the installation of median barriers. Here where now there aren't any.
Speaker 2: And the stats are staggering. Compared to last year, New Hampshire reports had seen a three hundred and fifty percent increase in traffic fatalities in drivers ages sixteen to twenty one residents ages sixteen to twenty one. We're also working a serious crash and a tunnel in Boston involving an ambulance right now, Kevin Brennan will be joining us in two minutes. With that, a familiar face will be holding the gavel for Karen Reid's retrial come January. The jodge you oversaw the Karen Reid trial that ended in a mistrial will preside over her new trial. Judge Beverly Cononi will oversee the case does despite defense lawyers objections. She also rejected the defense request to have some of the charges dropped against Reed, a decision that Reid is now appealing to the Supreme Judicial Court, and Governor Healy declares today Banner eighteen day in Massachusettsbedbez's Chris Fauma is getting the bas ahead of the Celtic season opener.
Speaker 1: There may be less green in the leaves of New England. Such is not the case on Causeway Street in Boston.
Speaker 4: Everybody you know, rich, poor, everybody starts wearing a bit more green.
Speaker 1: Wants the seasons to gets ready, not before the defending champs hoist their latest banner to the Raptors tonight. Pretty exciting stuff.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be absolutely electric here.
Speaker 2: What do we had eighteen now eighteen banners?
Speaker 1: Wow, it's better than us at the moment.
Speaker 6: No team in the NBA.
Speaker 1: But tonight starts a clean slate and a season a new Will it add in similar fashion to last season for the seas? That's the question, you know, And I'd love to see it. I would love to see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they play the way that I think they're going to plan. Hope they played Yeah nineteen.
Speaker 1: Right, Chris mom A WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Freedom a group of dolphins now released back into the ocean along the coast of Provincetown. They were found stranded last Friday near skak At Beach, which is on the Bay side of Orleans. Volunteers with the International Fund for Animal Welfare helped the dolphins feel a little bit better, looked into their health before releasing them back into their home the sea. Summer in autumn, it just goes on. I think few of us are complaining. We had a couple of cool nights, we were cranking the heat, and now we're putting on the ac in the car for stuck in traffic. It was that warm yesterday in Boston. We were in the eighties. Then we're in the seventies. Now we're staying in the seventies all day. Lodonnin fifty five, clear sunshine again tomorrow, high seventy five Wednesday night into Thursday, passing showers and then mostly sunny, breezy and still nice. In the mid sixties and no big surprise here. Salem topping the list of Forbes' best Halloween vacation spots in the nation.
Speaker 4: Well, it is the site of the infamous Salem witch trials of sixteen ninety two. Second on the list Sleepy Hollow, New York, the setting of the famous Washington Irving tale about the Headless Horsemen. Then there's the big Easy, Forbes saying New Orleans takes Halloween celebrations to the next level. Fourth on the list is Anoka, Minnesota, noted for its family friendly celebrations, and it's back to the South for the top five spot. Savannah, Georgia, considered one of the most haunted cities in America. Jay Willett WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Masport confirms the United Airlines flighted engine problems as a taxi down the runway for takeoff last night to Dulles, and those problems apparently ignited a grass fire trailing behind the jet as it moved down the tarmac. The plane itself never caught fire. Crews were able to fairly quickly extinguish the grass fire. Nasspoord says the airplane reached the gate under its own power. One hundred and sixty two passengers and six crew members then boarded a different jet, which departed around nine pm. And Bye Bye Baby is shutting doors and heading online by the end of the year. If this is giving you deja vu, you're not alone.
Speaker 5: If this sounds familiar, that is because it did happen once before, when Bye Bye Baby shut down stores last year after filing for bankruptcy. But they recently reopened some locations under a new parent company. Now they're calling it quits for the second time, going fully online for good.
Speaker 2: The company says it will be closing all physical stores by the end of the year. Walmart is offering something new.
Speaker 6: Walmart will deliver prescriptions directly to your home. The service is now available in Arkansas, Missouri, New York, Nevada, South Carolina, and Wisconsin. The company says it expects to deliver prescriptions in forty nine states by the end of January, and.
Speaker 2: CBS's DC lenzys. The move comes as Walgreens and CBS have recently shut down hundreds of stores nationwide. You are now in the loop for news updates throughout the day. Listen to WBZ News Radio on the iHeartRadio app. I'm Laurie Kirby, WBZ, Boston's news radio