Speaker 1: Hey, it's Neil Sevedra. You're listening to kfi EM six forty the four Report on demand on the iHeartRadio app. We're talking with people affected by the fires in January, not just ones that lost their homes that we are praying for, but because it's a food show, to those that either lost businesses or are finding didn't lose the structure, but are finding it hard to stay afloat when everybody's scattered everywhere because they can't be at home. Right now, we're talking with Teddy Seraphine Leonard. She's the owner of real In. You must know it there in Malibu, seeing it as you drive the coast, which we are blessed and incredibly lucky to have here in Southern California. It's the only thing worth the Texas, let's be honest, and I wanted her to talk a little bit more about the real In because this is and has been an important part of the food scene and the comfort that food brings to Southern California. Keep mind, you can find out more at reel in Malibu r e E l in Malibu dot com. There's a link there for a GoFundMe page that goes directly to the workers that have been working there for a long time. You said some like thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yes. In fact, two of the employees were there when my husband bought the restaurant thirty seven years ago.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And so they've been there longer than he has. And they're all sort of she's married to each other, and it's just it's kind of a unique story and that it is family.
Speaker 1: So you were telling one of the things that stood out that was very sweet to me, Teddy. You were talking about how, you know, the famous, the rich, we're standing next to surfers and you know, politicians and whatever, and food is the equalizer in that. I love that. You know, it's not a fancy place, but equalized everyone.
Speaker 2: Oh, it really did. And it was funny because we would also get people that were going to you know, large galas and Malibu and they'd say, oh, we're stopping here to eat first because they just you know, have these little finger things at the gatherings and we want we want a plate full of food, and our crew we would have to kind of say, guys, you don't want to keep throwing food away. They would overheat people's plates like they were at their own home in Mohaka. You know, we tried everything this now like okay, two scoops of that and two scoops of that with this particular spoof. None of it worked. They just did it like it was their mother trying to fatten them up. And it was hilarious. Yeah, we couldn't. That was one thing. And just they everything was fresh, Everything was made on site every day. The fish was delivered fresh every single day, the same fish venders that were delivering the Maestro's and Thenobu and the other restaurants, same fish, not the same price when we some of it, but we didn't have table claws or waiters or any of that. But we had really good fresh fish. And they made up the chipotle sauce. They made up the sauce, They made up all the spices for the Cajun and they did that. We were laughing, and I said, I'd love to get the recipes. We talked about doing a cookbook and putting the recipes and raise more money for the crew, and you know, they would grab handfuls of spices and you can't really quantify that. So I was trying to find them. If we do a cookbook, we need to have actual measurements on what you put in, and that's not how I mean. It was all very It was very much, like I said, a mom and pop place. People knew us, they knew our crew, our crew knew them, and everybody felt like they owned it. You know. That was one thing my husband loved. It's a culture he set up. This belongs to the community. And you know, people would walk in and decide with their group, Oh, we we're going to move these tables over here and move those chairs over there, and you know, they would do whatever they wanted to do. They'd bring their dogs out on the patio on the weekends and it was just it was lovely to have that kind of culture and that kind of gathering place for the community. And I hope even if we don't do it, I hope someone else does. But our crew has all come back to us and said, look, we're going to you know, I said, I want you guys to get jobs because we don't know how long this is going to take and I don't know how much more I can raise on the GoFundMe, and we've got to wait to see because our income obviously stopped when the restaurant shut down, and but they worked for some of them. A couple of them. We have them coming up and doing yard work for us. Yeah yeah, yeah, and paying and being able to pay them. All of our crew was legal. Over the years, we had helped them get their green cards and they're SI listenship. But still they're concerned with what's happening, and I'm concerned for people with what's happening right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're hearing a lot of that obviously, and that's been something that has been throughout the food industry for a long time. And as I said earlier on the show, if there's people you don't want here because they're bad, then there should be people that you do want here because they're good. And you know, being able to decide and have a system is the best way and the reasonable way. Just one more moment here, Heaven forbid. But you guys deserve your time too. You put in a lot of love, so you deserve your time too and are allowed for that. And hopefully someone takes that legacy with your guidance. What do you want people to remember or think? What do you I know? We right now go to really in Malibu dot Com. Click the link for the GoFundMe to help pay or the workers. It's not going to you and your husband, it's going to your workers. But what do you want them to think about when they think about that neon sign of the you know, the fish jumping on something that we've seen in Malibu forever? What do you want them to remember and think about.
Speaker 2: The spirit of Malibu, the community of Malibu, and to Panga and the palisades that if you go to I hopefully still on our Instagram or our website. Many many people came forward with so many stories that I'd say the first two days, three actually two weeks after it burned down, I found myself I could only read two a day because I would just start crying. I was so moved by what other people felt they had lost. I mean, I know what my husband and I lost, but it was more impactful to us that all these other the community loss. It was a community loss. And yeah, so if we get to rebuild, We're hoping our son, Jack, my step son, my husband's son, Jack is in the food industry. We're trying to convince him to come down and maybe you know, take the lead on this because he does manage restaurants in Seattle. But not sure, not sure. I mean, I don't know what's happening. And I feel very badly for the restaurants in Malibu. And if people your listeners get a chance somehow they get to Malibou where they take the one on one to Malibu Canyon and go over, there are wonderful restaurants that really need your patronage right now that are going through such a hard time. Their businesses are down by like eighty percent from last year, and ours burned down in a weird way. We were blessed because we had insurance and you know, otherwise we would be going through our savings like we did during COVID. And I think that's something that if people go to the beach, it's lovely. You know, maybe not in the water, but look at it.
Speaker 1: Look at it, take pictures. Don't step in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I'm not The reports are great, but you know there's some lovely places like oh see that. Just these these restaurants really they need they need us right now. It'd be nice to see people go out and patronize them.
Speaker 1: Well, it is my job to ring that bell every Saturday, and I'll continue to do it, my friend. I appreciate it that you came on and took the time. I know you've got a lot going on. Please keep us posted on any changes, and my producer and I will make sure that everybody knows what's happening. And if I can say, one last tip is to your step son. Every time it's raining there and it's sunny here, calling, Oh my gosh, it's so beautiful right now. Oh it's raining. Oh my god, honey, that's so horrible it is. It's eighty five here right now. Well, oh, why are you coming through your windows? Oh my god, that sounds horrible.
Speaker 2: And then that's hilarious. It's true. Well, he grew up here, so he knows what the weather's like here.
Speaker 1: Out of my mind him discot you're right.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for that, and thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Teddy A. Seraphine Lennard, owner of real in and again you can find everything out at real in Malibu dot com, Real in Malibu dot com.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty or three hours.
Speaker 1: We have to shake off the heaviness of the news and come together and celebrate, celebrate food, the people that make it, the culture behind it so great. What a day to day meeting interesting people that, although they're struggling, have powerful philosophies about what they do in the food industry. These are people affected by the fires in January, both in the Palisades and in Altadena and beyond that were kind of putting together a list. Even Towala I was connecting with and said, you know, give us some names, talk talk around the neighborhood, find out who's struggling. Let's we'll keep this going. And Kayla and I have been very focused and dedicated to making sure you know about these people that are affected by these things as well, and we'll keep doing it. But talking to Rudy from Gracias Signor and talking to Teddy from real In there in Malibu via the phone to hear her story thirty seven years ago her husband bought real In. We've all seen that stuff, telling stories about Beckham going in there and just I mean and how it was an equalizer. You know, everybody who came in was the same. They didn't care if you were famous or not, and how you were getting the same cut, the same fish quality from the same people as high end white clothed linen cloth tables were getting and you weren't paying those prices for it. That's often the way it goes. It's often the way it goes. There are so many the more hands involved, the more things involved, is the costlier gets very inspired about those things. Also, Bill Handle got his big green egg today and he has been wanting it. His new wife, Lindsay, has said that he has not shut up about it for months because he was so excited. And then I hosted Handle at my house one day for lunch. I said, come over, I showed him mine, I cooked lunch for him, and the two of us just sat out on my front porch, eating and talking about food and the techniques you can do with the big green egg and all of that. So he's excited. He decided that's what he wanted at his new place in Orange County, and so she sent me pictures of it and that he's super excited. And it's just one of those interesting days where food and philosophy and what it means to us and why food is so powerful in our lives, those flavors and textures that put us mile on our face. The love that is created. You know, when somebody makes you food that makes it tastes better than if you were doing it yourself. So we still have more to come, and then we'll talk with Tiffany. Of course, Tiffany's coming aboard at five o'clock, so go know where. We'll be back with Martha.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Fork Report with Nil Sevedra on demand from KFI Am six forty.
Speaker 1: How you doing today is? It started with rain. My wife came in, I slept in a little later. I think I got up at nine this morning, so I was like, I think I went to bet at midnight though. It's one of those nights where my curious little artistic brain was going all over the place looking things up, materials to build with and all kinds of things. By the way, I would love for you to hang out with us on social media at fork Reporter on Instagram at fork Reporter. We have a good time there. I put up memes trying to think bring people joy through there. Put up a picture of my wife and me on our wedding day. I love that lady. A bust of chops, but I love that lady, and she treats me like gold and I hope she gets the same treatment in return. But we just had our seventeenth anniversary, so I put that up. And otherwise it's funny goofy stuff up there, always having a good time. And then if you're artistically inclined or you like art or building, if you're a maker or a creator or anything like that, my newest one is savco Industries saa v COO industries on Instagram, and that's just things I do at my shop, and I have a small business where I do promotional light and some light fabrications, some props and stuff like that. But it's not really I know it's not it's not open to the public currently or I don't sell the public or anything like that. But I ended up using that name because I already had it. So I'm not selling anything on there at least not at this point. I talk to friends about doing opening up to some things, but right now it's just like, hey, look I made this for my son, or I'm doing this or working on a project, and I'd love for you to check that out if you have time as well at savcosaa vco industries dot com. And I like, you know, star wars and building things. I like Halloween and decorating for the holidays and all kinds of stuff. So you want to do that or you just want to see that different side of what I do when it's not involved with food or the show. Check that out, all right, Texas wants to ban well, there's a Texas bill rather that wants to rename the New York strips at Steak to Texas strip. I know, we're still dealing with Gulf of America and all that stuff. So this is an interesting one because ultimately it's like anything else, it's rare, but there are still new cuts of meat that are come across, you know, the animal fabricated and to the best of the ability to use every single part of the animal. That's the way to do it.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I have this conversation with my son last night. We were at BJ's. I know, fancy right for our seventeenth anniversary, but we want to do something as family and we like Bjay's and it's a fun atmosphere. So we went out there in Glendale by the Americana and we had a wonderful, wonderful evening. It was packed and there's a good vibrant crowd. There of different types of people and young and old and everything else. But my son had never had bone in wings, you know, because kids say everything is a chicken tender or a nugget. And I said, I want you to have these. I want you to try them. There's a cartoony watches where that they're they're obsessed with wings. And he tried them and he enjoyed them, and he, you know, he was like, this is fantastic, this is really wonderful, and really enjoyed them. And you think, well, this is an animal. And he goes, this is from the animal, right, from a chicken. And I said, yeah, and that's why the bones are here, and explain that. And he asked a bunch of questions and I told him, I said, if you're going to take the life of an animal out of respect, you use all of it, every little piece you can, even the bones for making your stock or doing what you use everything you can. And so we come up with new cuts on a rare occasion. And but basically you're parsing the animal and fabricating it down to certain parts and certain cuts that are well known now as far as the history of these cuts you get, you kind of name them when when you can trace them back to a person or a place and this was its origin. You know. I suppose you can call a margarita whatever you want, you know, but it's like, at what point, you know, do I care if someone calls it a Texas steak? I don't, Well, I know what the hell it is. No, I'm going to say it's a New York strip because that's what it is to me when I see it. If I saw that cut raw in a package without a label on it, I'd go, that's a New York strip right there. And that just makes it easier. In some areas, something's a regional. What was the thing that you said was the Pittsburgh Medium Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Pittsburgh Medium steak.
Speaker 1: And what is that described?
Speaker 5: If people don't know, that's how I like my stake prepared. Is really charred on the outside and then medium slash rare on the inside.
Speaker 1: So that's a regional thing. Now, there are things I was telling you in the Latino community, Mexicans in particular, a lot of times like it's super charred on the outside, and when you're growing up, depending if you came straight from a Latin America, you probably want it well done because you didn't trust the meat necessarily. So, you know, as people are here in the States more and more, then they switch to chart on the outside and medium on the inside. But there's all these different things that are regional, and sometimes the names may be different. There are you know, flank steaks, flap stakes. There's all kinds of different names, and sometimes there's different names for the same cut. So it does happen. And depending on where you are, if you're buying in a certain butcher or a certain a marketplace, it might be called something different. This seems like just a marketing thing. You know, you could call it whatever you want. You can say it's a Texas steak and then beneath it say a specially prepared New York strip whatever. So I don't know if this is going to go anywhere as to what this means, but trying to get it to immortalize, you know, a new name when it's been New York State steak for so long. I'm curious as how this is is going to play out. But we shall see. Another battle that is heated and technically means nothing. You've been listening to the Fork Report. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty two to five pm on Saturday and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app talking to Teddy from Real in Oh my gosh and Rudy geez, did you not want it from Gracia signor the food truck? And you know a lot of losing a lot of people that have been displaced because the fires, and that was their hangout, you know, in those areas in the Palisades and the like. And and here he is. Someone wouldn't even let us pay for the food brought us food. Kayla producer Kayla even told him, please don't bother bringing food. We just want to celebrate you and hear your story. And meanwhile we will and here of it.
Speaker 4: He's like, the food trucks outside, what do you need? And how many?
Speaker 5: I'm like, all right, we get two? He gave twelve, twelve and then four tacos? Yeah, amazing types of four different sets of three?
Speaker 4: Was that twelve?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: I know, he's amazing.
Speaker 1: What's that? I hope you tipped him.
Speaker 4: I will tip and give us his vemo. But yeah, I did give him a hug.
Speaker 1: I wanted to just hold him.
Speaker 4: What a sweet man, right, he had an adorable face. He was just an adorable personal energy. Just love the kid.
Speaker 1: That's how that's how he gets more of a tip. Doesn't work with with my fat cheeks. I got cheeks. You don't want to think about your cheeks these on my face? All right? Tiffany Hobbs is with us enjoying the show last week.
Speaker 6: Wow, thank you?
Speaker 1: What is going on tonight?
Speaker 6: Well, you know you started the show off by saying that once the cameras go away, that doesn't mean that we should take our feet off of the gas. We should continue paying attention to people and businesses that were by the fires. I really enjoyed that segment in the beginning and the entire theme of tonight's show that you had. Because we're carrying that theme over. We'll be speaking to a senior from Palisades High School and she is going to give us the rundown on how the first week went back at the Seers Building, say back at it's their first week at the Seers Building. They'll be there for the for the foreseeable future as their high school is reconstructed. The projected dates for the kind of rehabilitation of Palisades High School go out until twenty twenty eight at the earliest, so this Seers Building could be their home for a while. And so she's going to come on and tell us about the journey from January seventh to just this recent Friday yesterday, after finishing their first week. We're going to also talk about how malls in Orange County are being repurposed. So looking at the Seers building, that's one way in which they're being reutilized, but malls are also being turned into housing, and Orange County has a few malls that are vacant or nearly so, and what the local city council there is looking into doing to make those habitable. We're also going to talk about Mayor Bass's proposed budget cuts and not just how we will respond to them as far as taxes and other sorts of revenue streams, but also the impact that they're going to have on LA Animal Services. There are some really negative outlooks, dire outlooks about how the local shelters will be impacted. So I'll get into details on that, and then it's prom season. Of course, if you're driving around this weekend, you might see the limos, you might see kids in their nice, flashy clothes as they're getting ready to go to prom. I know tonight there's a prom at Ramon Cortina's High School. They're downtown La, funny looking building right off the ten Freeway and one on one freeway. It's a kind of Art Deco building that you can see. It looks like a huge sculpture. It's a high school and they're having their prom tonight. Just a little shout out to them.
Speaker 1: Doesn't it Like, wasn't it in June? Like in my head, I think about dads and grads, right.
Speaker 6: It was always May for me, late May, early June. But the school year is different than when we were in school, so.
Speaker 1: Now it's either all my son. It's a different march.
Speaker 6: Even across the country, but it's prom seasons. We're going to take a deeper dive into the history of prom and as well as the cost of prom, the average cost of prom in twenty twenty five, which is far different than when I was in school. So we're talking a huge, huge performance when it comes to prom.
Speaker 4: It's going to be a fun show.
Speaker 1: They do those promposals.
Speaker 6: They do proposals, wow, very orchestrated, very it's it's a huge revenue stream for businesses all around the city. So we'll talk about it and if you having Max, this is something that you should start to put money away for now.
Speaker 1: To be honest, I don't think they'll be schools by then. It won't be colleges, there won't be l a unified. It will be no So I won't worry. He'll be homeschooled and that.
Speaker 4: And that'll be fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Probably my wife.
Speaker 1: Will be in her dress from the eighties and be okay. So I'm glad they're back at school, seris. I hope they don't get lost in those round clothes racks that we used to hide in as kids.
Speaker 4: You know, I hope they enjoy too young to know.
Speaker 1: That, but did that. It's sears. They'd have these racks of clothing that were round and you could hide in them as a kid and your parents couldn't find you. It was the best thing ever. We had Kmart at one time. Did they have the round wracks though? Its just that is sears to me.
Speaker 4: May company I believe had it. Yeah, it looks really fun when they did it on TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, when you watched it as a young child, mommy, what's that? What's apartment store? And stuff calling me mommy and get out of my house. I'm coming in there, so go know where this is. Thanks for hanging out. Be kind to each other, be empathetic. That's what makes us human. And I'll catch you on the flip side.
Speaker 3: You're listening to The Fork Report with Nil Savedra on demand from KFI AM six forty