Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: You know, some would say that this might be the best time of the week, five o'clock on a Friday. I know everybody's schedule is different, but if you're somebody that works the regular nine to five, it means the weekend probably just started for you. And it's a big weekend here Louisville. We've got Louisville Live tonight to get things started for Pat Kelsey and his team. Of course, not a real game, but it is the first event for Pat Kelsey as the Louisville coach where fans can get out and meet his new team, a brand new team. And I'm I'm really happy that that there were so many of you on the text line and on social media as well, that we're that we're fine with acknowledging. Yes, you love Louisville basketball. It's a big part of your life, but you need to do some some research, some studying to learn this roster and learn this team. I totally get it, because you know, most people don't have the ability to to, or maybe they just don't want to because they've got other things in their life that they spend time on rather than you know, following the transfer portal extremely closely, you know, reading message boards on Trilli Donovan's discord, that kind of stuff. So look, no, there's no no shame in that this is not usual or this is not any This is not normal. It's very unusual, I should say, because of the circumstance. I mean, you're going to see a lot more roster turnover than than you used to because we are now in the era where players can transfer anytime they want free agency, right, but this is this is next level to have an tire team brand new.
Speaker 3: But I'd say that's what was needed.
Speaker 2: Completely gutting everything out from the last regime and starting fresh, That's that was necessary. So again, tonight Louisville Live. Tomorrow, Louisville SMU, don't forget. We've got you covered for the game day coverage. We'll have the Louisville Football Pregame Show starting at eleven o'clock.
Speaker 3: Take you up till noon.
Speaker 2: It's the louisll Football Pregame Show presented by Jefferson Animal Hospital and Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky and then as soon as the game comes to an end, we'll go live right here for the Louisvill Football postgame Show hosted by myself reacting to whatever it is that happens, presented by Alex R. White, Lawyer's Sue Distracted Driver dot com so. And then tomorrow night we've got Racing Louisville in action. And if you just heard our conversation in the four o'clock hour with Jeff Greer, you get in free to the game tomorrow night, Star Wars Night, by the way, if you bring your Louisvill Football ticket. So if you want to do a you know, you want to double dip and have two games, it's gonna be a beautiful day to do it. Gonna be a little warmer then it has been in recent days, but that's okay. You know, it's not gonna be brutal. And I you know, I could be wrong here, What the hell do I know about weather? But I do feel like when you get to October, like it might still be muggy at times, but I feel like like that brutal humidity that we get around here, like in October it's usually gone. It's like maybe eighty three eighty four with a breeze will actually be you know, perfect, We shall see, all right, where do we start here in the five o'clock hour. We did talk earlier with Alex Kupper getting his thoughts on Louisville football and really this matchup against SMU, and you know, I'm not trying to act like they're a team that scares me, right, They're not. I mean, if Louisville loses tomorrow, you know you're gonna have to you know, we're gonna have to eat it and realize that one this team is. At that point, I would say, if you if you start the season three and two, I mean, there's no scenario anybody would have had that out there as the expected record five games in. I mean maybe some people would, but I'd say Louisville fans who who had expectations for this season, that would be not an ideal start. And I don't believe that's gonna happen. But what I'm trying to get to is that you know, if they lose tomorrow, SMU is gonna deserve all the credit. You know, technically, they will have done exactly what you need to do go win a game. But I don't think it's gonna because we realize, man, they just got better players than Louisville. Like they're just a really bad matchup. Now. A lot of times teams lose games where if you evaluated the roster when it comes to personnel and talent, the team that the team that won didn't have the best players and whatnot. So LOL was gonna have to come ready to play. They're gonna have to play clean football. Limit the type of mistakes you saw up in South Bend, limit penalties and other than that, keep doing what you've been doing right because the offense I think has just looked really really.
Speaker 3: I mean again, if you.
Speaker 2: Turn the ball over a lot, then it's hard to say you've got a great offense. But in between turnovers, man, you've got something with Isaac Brown. I mean not to say I told you so, but I told you so. I by the time you get a few games in, he was going to be the main ball carrier. I don't think it's just because Maurice Turner's injured. I think they realized they've got something special here in true freshman Isaac Brown, and he's shown that so far this year.
Speaker 3: I mean, you look at the receivers.
Speaker 2: Not only has j Corey Brooks been great all year, Colin Lacey that was the hell of a debut for him, and then Tyler Shuck has continued each week to look like a guy that you know is capable of leading an offense that'll look a lot more like the type of offense you expected Jeff brom to have. And look, the offense last year was good enough. They got the job done, but it was just different than what'll we expected. It was a team overall that was dependent upon their defense in a major way, but their strength offensively was running the ball because they had two really good running backs and their quarterback, you know, let's be real, he wasn't Tyler Shuck, So I guess you know, I don't. It's not nice coming off of a loss, but as I've I guess accepted it more so as this week has progressed. It is nice knowing that, you know, despite the loss, you look at your personnel, you look at your playmakers, your weapons, and I'm not really worried when it comes to that. Now, when you play Miami Clemson at Clemson, you are entering a different level of competition when it comes to just talent that those teams have. SMU, with all due respect, is not one of those teams, but they do have a really, really good player that maybe this is me just you know, gassing this guy up because he's going to be here tomorrow and I'm worried about him. But I don't think it's crazy to say that SMU may have one of the best offensive weapons in the ACC that really nobody seems to be talking about Jennings, their quarterback who replaced Preston Stone, and he's been perfect for them. I mean he's made mistakes, but like he has been really efficient and if you watch them play, you'd never guess that this guy started out as the backup. But Brash Broochard, I think that's how you say, Brishard Smith a running back for them. Like he's the guy that I think probably deserves more credit and praise for this SMU team than anybody else. I mean, he's the first player we think about this. He's the first player with five hundred rushing yards, one hundred receiving yards and one hundred to turn yards and eight touchdowns through five games since it happened in twenty eighteen, the last time that happened was in twenty eighteen, a guy by the name of Darryl Henderson did it for Memphis. So in the first five games, this guy has been a weapon on the ground as a ball carrier. He can obviously make some plays out of the backfield as a receiver, and he's special on special teams. And eight touchdowns in five games for this guy. So the only other players that have been as productive as this guy in the play in the college football Playoff era Sekwan Barkley at Penn State many years ago. And there was a guy in Nebraska, Abdullah, that did it long ago. So that's a guy you're gonna have to account for. And I'm I'm sure Jeff Prom and his team know that, but think about this. I mean, this is a guy who one hundred and fifty all purpose yards per game. So like he's doing it in a variety of ways and he's getting it done. And that's somebody that does worry me a little bit. And he was a really talented guy coming out of high school. Smith was he was a I think he was a five star in one of the services, but a four everywhere else. Literally could pick wherever he wanted to go to school, like had offers from me.
Speaker 3: He chose Miami.
Speaker 2: He transferre from Miami, by the way, but he chose Miami over Alabama lsu Georgia.
Speaker 3: I mean again, he's a.
Speaker 2: Star athletic receiver from Florida who you know, everybody wanted, and it didn't work out at Miami. He ended up being really just a special teams guy. Like I think he actually was an all acc guy when it comes to being a return man. But at SMU, they're utilizing him in a lot of ways and it is working. So that's somebody I'm you know, I'm gonna be watching closely tomorrow to make you know, not that I'm going to have any impact on the game, but I'm hopeful that he doesn't, you know, take over the game, because he's shown the ability to.
Speaker 3: Uh to do that, all right, Uh real quick. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of people probably don't care about last night's action at this point, although we did get a pretty exciting Thursday night football game in the NFL. I'm curious how many people are watching. I assume anybody or anybody who loves NFL football is watching, but I don't know. Maybe people just think like, yeah, you know, I'm not a Bucks fan, I'm not a Falcons fan, so you know I'm not going to fire up Amazon Prime because there is even though like now you got to go back and forth between apps and streaming providers. That's not necessarily new. But you know, if you got YouTube TV on and you're going, you know, back and forth between college games or I don't know, maybe you're watching whatever, like you may like when it's not right there and you got to It's not like it's hard work, but you know what I'm saying, John, like getting out of your live TV thing to go pull up an app and then like it seems.
Speaker 4: Like it's definitely not as seamless as just scrolling through channels used to be.
Speaker 2: And I know this sound like I'm speaking as if like everybody's just so lazy to push a few more buttons.
Speaker 3: You don't have to get up and do anything.
Speaker 2: But it does make you, at least for a millisecond, think like do I really want to watch that? Because it's someone like myself who just loves football and if live sports are on, and I'm gonna have it on in my house, even if I'm watching closely or not. That's just kind of always been my nature, but it is at times made me think, like, you know what, I think, I'm fine not turning that on.
Speaker 4: Like I'll say this, if I'm ever on Hulu looking for something and I accidentally hit the home button, that takes me back to the you know, the home screen of the fire stick, it's a lot harder to kind of do the maybe it's not mental gymnastics, so to speak, but have that extra motivation to get back to where you were just because.
Speaker 5: You were scrolling through channels or whatever, and maybe on Hulu.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Love YouTube TV, And I'm gonna get back to last night's games because there was a reason I brought that up. But now that we're talking about it, I was at I can't think of where it was. It was a few weeks ago. I was at a friend's house and they still have you know, I think they have spectrum, so like they have they're not relying on Internet to watch television, which I just, you know, that's all I've done for a long time now, and I did kind of start to miss that. You don't because even if you have the fastest internet in the world, you're still like it's a slight delay when you hit a button, you know what I mean, Like, yes, even if it's a millisecond, like even if you're scrolling down on your guide, like you're relying on an Internet connection to show you that well being on non internet TV, like it was kind of like, oh wow, this is kind of great, Like it does move a lot faster when you do anything, but it's worth it for the convenience and the price. So I'm never going back. I thought I would be back when I initially cut the court. I thought it wouldn't last long, and here I am eight nine years later, and it was a good choice. But the reason I bring up last night's game because it was a rare situation where you could go to either the Falcons Buccaneers game in Atlanta or the Troy Texas Stadium. I couldn't remember who. They played the Troy Texas State game at Troy and get very affordable concessions. Now I'll start with Atlanta, and this has been since they opened up Mercedes Been Stadium. Arthur blank Has I think that's his name, the guy who owns him. He's They don't promote it enough. They have decided to give you very affordable concessions, more so than any other stadium. And I know some of these prices like are probably gonna still sound expensive to you. But if you have gone to any game college football, NFL, NBA, like I think sporting events where you got to pay for a ticket to go to, that's not high school, it's not cheap. I mean, nothing seems cheap this day and age, right at least that's the way I see it. But you can get a large beer, a large domestic beer, like a large I don't know what the ounces are, and that is important. But at the Falcons game last night, you can get a large bud Light Corps Light Miller Lite for eight bucks. Again, that doesn't sound cheap like in the grand scheme of things for a beer, but at a game that's super cheap. You can also get a souvenir soda with one of those big cups like that you can take home for four bucks, but you can get a regular one with just you know, and I would get the regular one because I don't need the cup.
Speaker 3: I don't want to carry a cup.
Speaker 2: Out of there for two dollars for a humongous soda at an NFL game like that. I'm sure it's not really sounding like a great deal, but if you've gone to some of these stadiums really for the last I mean, you don't have to blame this on the economy currently. I mean it's been expensive it games for a long time and only getting more and more expensive. And how about this last night at the Troy game, you could get two dollars beers And that wasn't even like a crazy special, I don't think. Yeah, here's the concessions list at Troy. At Troy's football game last night, you can get a hot dog for four bucks, a hamburger for five, nachos for five.
Speaker 3: You can get two dollars Bush lights. I don't know why I wasn't there.
Speaker 2: I'm just seeing that two dollars Natty lights too, So I don't know, I just in a weird way now that I've looked at both these menus here and I looked at it last night, which made me remember to bring it up. It is sad how expensive everything is now, because here I am telling you, oh my god, you can you can get a hamburger for five dollars if that's like but it, I mean, because.
Speaker 4: If you bought a hamburger from any said fast food restaurant for five dollars.
Speaker 5: That's absolutely expensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know, man, there's some places, like if I was just to get a quarter pounder with cheese at McDonald's with no meal, just the Cheeseburgerly, it's probably not far off from five bucks.
Speaker 1: Is it.
Speaker 5: It's not.
Speaker 4: I mean, any sort of meal you get from a fast food restaurant, unless you're getting one of the value stuff that they're promoting, everything will run up at least seven fifty eight bucks.
Speaker 2: Right now, I'm kind of reminding myself that I've always hated how companies really promote and market deals half off for twenty percent off, because really you can you can just start with the really high price and then tell us you're getting a great deal when if we're still paying a certain number, Like, no, that's not a deal.
Speaker 3: It's still that's not a deal.
Speaker 5: You know what I mean? Get one free, it's just two things at half price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like promoting we've marked it down, it's on sale. Okay, well it was insanely overpriced initially. Now it's just substantially overpriced. But like I when I went to the game with the family. For Georgia Tech. I remember they had a good deal. They had to buy one get one free. I think for bush Light. I feel like I'm kind of making that up, but like maybe it wasn't buy I wouldn't get one free. But there was some kind of a special going on with bush Light, which I took advantage of when I went to the Georgia Tech game. But we didn't get concessions or anything like that, so I didn't. It's been a while since i've looked, but I know it's expensive and it's you know, like just going to a game. Let's just say you are not a season ticket holder and you're bring in a family, your your your significant other, and two kids, and you're buying tickets. You're gonna pay to park. You're gonna get a drink for everybody. Everybody's gonna get one item from the concession stand. Maybe a little Johnny gets him a hot dog, Sally gets her a nacho. Your wife wants to do maybe she's thinking hamburger and you are thinking, okay, you know what, I'm just gonna drink beer. Like and I'm a one off. Like let's just say you only make one trip to the concession stand for the entire game. Like, you're probably spending hundreds of dollars all in all with tickets and parking, and I guess it depends on the game. And Louiell tickets are fairly cheap this year because the home schedule is not great. You know, the best games you play this year are I mean the best teams you play, most of them are on the road, although Miami, I mean in the end of at the end of the day, Miami is going to be the highest ranked team you play all year and have them at home. So it's actually worked out to where that is a big game. But anyways, what I want to do coming up here in about ten minutes, I want to take a look at some of these games from around the country, because not a big weekend when it comes to Marque matchups. Only one matchup against ranked teams, and it's not even a great one. But there are some interesting games that I'm eager to wager on, and I know a lot of you like wagering as well, so we can certainly get to that. But before we take a break, I want to go to the text line five O two six five three zero seven nineties the number if you guys would like to text in. I've neglected you guys today and I do want to apologize. But this Tex says Nick, I'm the last guy to assume that the national pundits aren't giving the Cards enough credit. I honestly feel like our fan base is the worst when it comes to always thinking people are out to pick on us. But I will say it seems insane that no one nationally or even within the ACC is talking about how great Jacory Brooks has been. You know, I don't know if it's insane that people haven't been talking about it, but I mean, he does lead the ACC and receiving yards, and I hesitate to like say, yeah, you're right, Why is he not getting more love? Because I don't consume a ton of content, rather it be podcasts or shows on the ACC network, So like he might be getting a lot of love and I'm just not seeing it.
Speaker 3: But I think, yeah, I mean, he's been one.
Speaker 2: There can't be many receivers in college football that are at a new school within the power for that have been as productive as he has been. And maybe it's because the first two games were against nobody, but he leads the acc and receiving yards, and he's actually played his best ball against I mean, he's made his biggest plays in the games that were against real teams, right Like he was great against Georgia Tech with that spinning around touchdown, and then of course was really good last week despite you know that costly interception that you know clearly was on him. So I actually think Schuck is in the same boat to where I feel like, you know, there should be more conversation when you talk acc football about Louisville being a team that you know certainly can can potentially be in the mix to go to Charlotte, and nobody's saying that they can't. But you know, Jeff brom having a quarterback that looks more like a Jeff Brown quarterback than Jack Plumber. That stands out to me. But you know what, I think actually hurts that. And I mean, maybe there are numbers out there you guys could show me that prove this wrong. But that game last week was on Peacock. If you are not a big Notre Dame fan or a big Louisville fan, you probably didn't watch it. So you can go look at numbers. And again, the numbers are a little misleading. I mean, Louivill lost the game by a touchdown, and you know, not to say that the numbers are way off, but like if you watch Tyler shuck, objective viewers would tell you that guy's pretty damn good, but his numbers. You know, that interception, you know, even though it wasn't his fault, falls on him in the stat sheet, the one that j Cory Brooks bobbled, and I didn't realize that's the only interception he has this year, which clearly is not his fault. And at times, you know, and this is what I like about him. Not to say that other quarterbacks wouldn't do this, but he's mature. I don't watch him play feeling like he's worried a whole lot about stats, and I think he's willing to take calculated risks like but he's also not afraid to just throw it away and you know, and eat one. And that I think makes it to where his you know, his completion percentage is not is not you know, it's not bad, but it's not up there to where he'd be getting a lot of national intentions. So I hear you like, I've kind of thought that meaning that ja Corey Brooks, And again I'm throwing shuck in there. I know you didn't mention him, but I think those two guys have been better than advertised as far as you know what we were expecting before the season started. And they're gonna be needed tomorrow, no doubt. And not to say that a win against SMU would be viewed as a big moment for Louisville to where they start to be talked about differently. But if you win, you look good doing it. Keep in mind you're gonna be on ESPN. That's going to just lead you to some more viewers than you would typically get, So maybe that changes after tomorrow.
Speaker 3: All right, quick break, don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's coffee and company rolling along here, five o'clock hour on Sports Talk seven ninety so, before we get into some of these games and give our selections, our wagers for the weekend, because I know that's what you tuned in for. I mean I say that sarcastically, your best bet would to be do the opposite of what I have been doing lately and what I plan on doing. But John's the one with the momentum, so I may be educated by his picks that he's about to share with us. But before see, but before we do that, I want to give a shout out to my stepdad John and his crew of friends who they're doing something this weekend that I think is really cool and I wouldn't be shocked if, like others knew about it, they would.
Speaker 3: Want to do it too.
Speaker 2: So, you know, he's he's in his early sixties and he has a core of core group of friends that have been really close since like high school, you know, And actually, I think that's kind of rare, to be honest with you. You know, maybe that's not as rare as I think, but you know, he and his closest friends from high school that he grew up with like forty years later, they still forty plus years later, not to make them feel old, but they still go on a few trips together whenever they can every year, and they do an event that is coming up this weekend that's called the he Man. The he Man is where most of these guys and then a few others that are just friends, like not necessarily the core group of friends that have known each other forever, but just you know guys. They hang out with guys that will be interested in. What they do is at my mom and stepdad's house. Every year they have like a competition and the different things that they do, and like each year there's a winner. So they've got like a mountain bike course. He's got a great setup in his backyard where they've got you know, a bunch of space and trails and you can do there's a mountain bike course, and they time the event so like whoever gets the best time as far as going through the course, you know, they're a winner of that event, and you and everybody's time is tracked. They also have you know, knocking bottles off stands with frisbees, which is a timed event, like you've got you know, certain number of bottles that you just try to knock down with frisbees, and whoever can get it done and the quickest amount of time, you know, they end up being the winner of that. They've got an obstacle course, a golf tee shot where they use the back and again works out perfect where he's got so much space in the backyard. It's not even really a backyard, it's just a huge plot of land. But they have a golf tea shot where if you. You know, the closest person to the pole ends up winning. Everybody takes a shot, they do a tractor pull where they're pulling his cup cadet up the driveway, and again whoever can do it in the quickest time. They've got a hatchet toss, fishing pole casting, like whoever can get closest to the pole, air rifle contest. There's all kinds of stuff they do, and you know, you get certain points for how you do in each of the events, and there's a winner, you know, second place, third place and all that, and they do it every year. I think this is maybe the fourth or fifth year they've done it, and I think it's cool as hell. And I hope when I get older, me and my friends do the same thing, because one, it's a chance to get together with the with the fellas and have you know, have a day, and you don't, you know, you don't get a chance to do that as much whenever you get older. Most of these guys who have children now are grandfathers, to be honest with you, but you know, I know, I know, I know we wouldn't have the time to do it now with everything going on in our lives. But you know, I'm a lot younger than my stepdad and his friends. But you know, and it's it's it's competition, and competition is healthy for every human being. And you know, they take it serious, but also it's a lot of fun. But yeah, I'm envious.
Speaker 3: I hope that sounds bads.
Speaker 2: It's awesome, man, it really is, like and they've you know, they've done it many years now to where there's a big banner that gets put up and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's really cool.
Speaker 2: So best of luck to the to the Fellas on Sunday for the for the annual he Man at the Donahue Headquarters. And yeah, I mean I I could tell you some of the some of the things like I wouldn't do well at has nothing to do with age. It's just like I wouldn't be somebody who would probably finish in the top ten. If there are ten people, maybe I would finish top ten. But like the whole fishing pole thing, I don't know how to do that, but if I was competing, I would want to learn how because I would want to win. So I just thought that was really cool and I would encourage others out there. You know, if you you know, if you want to be active, have fun, compete, and just make it a day where you get to hang out with your friends, maybe friends you don't get to see that often. I mean, there's some people that don't live around here that come in every year for it, travel because you know, it's just become like an annual thing where they get together, have fun, compete, and you know, spend time together. So best of luck to those fellas on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: I have somebody asked me earlier in the show, and then somebody just asked once again, different person about like what I think of Louisville's game as far as the spread I have, I'm not going to touch this game. I haven't bet on a Louisville game this year, to be honest with you. But Louisville Mine is six and a half right now.
Speaker 3: I mean I haven't even given any thought. I just want Louisville to win like this.
Speaker 2: You need to bounce back in such a way that this is not a game I've thought about in any way when it comes to like a wagering perspective. But for what it's worth, we can look here at sports Line and see what the public's doing here when they're wagering on this game, because you know, this only speaks to the pretty weak slate of games we have here as far as the matchups. But this is probably a top five game of the of the of the week because SMUs just got one loss on the year, right outside the top twenty five. That only losses to BYU and then Louisville their top twenty five teams still, so I mean that'll I mean it's a top twenty five team playing a team that's right outside the top twenty five, which again comparatively speaking, that's actually that makes it one of the better games. But right now the spread at six and a half, seventy seven percent of the money is on Louisville to cover and fifty six percent, So there's more, there's more, like the money, and this is usually what screams there's like a handful of big bets, probably because the public as far as just you know, not the amount of money, but just those making any type of wager doesn't have anything to do with the monetary side of it, just what they're betting. Are they picking them to cover or not. More people have SMU covering when it comes to just wagering, but the money seventy seven percent is on Louisville to cover, but fifty six percent has SMU. As far as just the public betting so money line, only three percent of the money is on SMU. Only four percent of the public is on SMU, So again, Louisville is expected to win. If you and if you're somebody who likes to do over unders rather than spreads or money line, the total is fifty six and a half and eighty three percent of the money is on the over and sixty seven percent of the of the public is on the over.
Speaker 3: So there you go. Was this one? Was this on your card at all?
Speaker 1: Jobs was not?
Speaker 4: If I were taking it, though, I think I'd take Louisville to bounce back in a big way after the way they lost last week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's hard to mention like trends with bron because he's only in his second season. But you know, they only lost one home game last year, and that was of course to you know who, and they came off that Pittsburgh loss and demolished Duke and beat them twenty three or twenty six to nothing. So I would I expect him to bounce back. But you know, they got to actually go out there and do it before we know for sure, if you know, because this will be a telling game for them for themselves, right Like, I think a sluggish performance here wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. If you can still hold on and win, maybe it means Semu's pretty good. However, I kind of feel like, you know, they need to convince themselves, hey, we can play a clean game of football.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let you go first here and tell me what the first leg of your parlay is.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm starting with Iowa State to cover minus ten and a half against Baylor. Iowa State's unbeaten so far this year. The Baylor team they're going up against two and three in Iowa State. In all but one of the games they've played in so far, they taking care of business fairly easy North Dakota twenty one to three, Arkansas Arkansas State excuse me, fifty two to seven. Then last week against Houston twenty to nothing. The other game they won was against Iowa on the road. They won by one point. But I think so far Iowa State has kind of bounced back under Matt Campbell, and I think this is a pretty safe bet.
Speaker 5: When it comes to covering this spread here this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I like it.
Speaker 2: I think BYU, I mean I thought Dave Verronda their head coach. I thought he was a future star. I mean, he had a really good first year or maybe it was his second year at Baylor, and I believe he turned down interest from LSU because of how you know, I don't know if they offered him the job, but it was a known thing that like he was going to stay at Baylor after a big start, and man, it has not worked out well for him since then. They're a bad football team. So yeah, I think that's a good pick. And Iowa State, you know, I kind of felt like the latest example of a coach that should have left when he had the chance was Matt was him because Iowa State it's not a great job. He made them relevant in a way they've never have been relevant before. They actually had some really good seasons under him, at least a couple of them.
Speaker 3: I shuldn't. They don't think they had a lot of them.
Speaker 2: But either way, great season or not, they've been a lot better under him than they've typically been. And I thought maybe he would be the guy that like eventually ends up getting fired there because it just you know, ran its course, but off to a good start. And obviously, you know, a win against Iowa means a lot to them. So they're four, and oh, I think that's a I think that's a good pick. Here's one that I feel I feel pretty good about. And this isn't like, uh, you know, I'm not going to take him to cover, but I'm going to take Texas A and M money line. I think Missouri could potentially be a big time fraud. And I know last year they really had a strong season. They beat Ohio State in a bowl game and that means a lot. But like Ohio State, let's be real, all the NFL guys, because Ohio State missed the playoff, didn't didn't play in that game, so they got a lot of momentum from that. And you can't control, you know, any of that stuff. But like they barely hung on to beat Vandy, who lost to Georgia State, meaning Van Boston College should have beat them. Buffalo is terrible. They beat them thirty eight nothing. They beat Murray State fifty to nothing. So I mean, the only teams they've played that are like in fact, no, like I was gonna say the only teams they played that are decent, they've really struggled. No, because I don't think Vandy's decent. I mean they're not. I mean maybe in a different world, but like Vandy still Vandy, and they barely beat them. So I think at home, I'm tempted to take A and M to cover because they are favorites. But I'm just gonna take A and M money line.
Speaker 3: What else you like?
Speaker 4: I like air for excuse me, Navy to cover against Air Force Navy again. Four and oh going against a really bad air Force team that has a loss to a believe Wyoming who's also a terrible team this year. I lost to a bad Baylor team that already mentioned the lost to San Jose State, and the spreads only at minus ten for an undefeated Navy team, And I feel like this could be another free money game.
Speaker 5: If you're wagering on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I that's just so you know, And I hope this doesn't make you feel anyway. That's been a trendy pick, so like, okay, I think that's usually that makes people feel good, but some people are like, oh, now's the up. Yeah, now I'm worried. So this is I mean, I have no choice but to fade Florida State. They are as down as you could possibly be. They've hit fade territory. Their only win on the year is a nine to fourteen win against Cal, where they scored fourteen points. I mean, they are an absolute dumpster fire. And some may say that they could be better without Dju playing because he's hurt, but either way, they're awful.
Speaker 3: They know it.
Speaker 2: They've played five games. Now, keep in mind they started their season in a week zero. Each week they go out there, they get embarrassed. Even when they beat Cal, it's still embarrassing because of what their expectations were. Clemson, I think they win this thing by twenty four. They're only favored by fourteen and a half. That's that's my favorite pick. I just think a good one. I think Clemson is going to bury them. Clemson is worried about style points. They are worried about perception because of their embarrassing loss to George as far as the margin, and they've been playing really good football in Florida State's the kind of team that right now, if you get down a couple of scores, you're dead, cause you know, the human element is so strong that you're going to be licking your wounds. After a couple of scores, there's not going to be any anything within for you to dig deep and fight back, climb out of the hole. I think Dabbo runs up the score on Mike Norvell.
Speaker 5: That's a good one. You got me wish and I included that one.
Speaker 3: Now you can really well you can, you know you can do a side one that's true.
Speaker 5: I may do that first. I'll go ahead and mention my side real quick.
Speaker 4: And this is something that maybe I don't know if you mentioned this, but somebody that comes on the show mentions his lock of the week and that's Indiana.
Speaker 5: Minus to there we go.
Speaker 4: But that's also a hard pick for me, so I'm not including that in the three liquor.
Speaker 5: It's a separate bet.
Speaker 2: We didn't get a chance to chat with Brian because of my issues with the schedule today, but he did share his picks with me, and he's really really high on Indiana cover in thirteen and a half. And I mean, I don't mean I was going to say I'm surprised they're favored by that much. But no, look at how they've played this year. I mean, they deserve to be favored by that much. What is your other what's the other legs?
Speaker 4: My final leg is Miami minus ten against California. I know California is getting a lot of love for the way that they've kind of care married themselves on social media, and kudos to them, but I think this is the week that California gets a reality check against the Hurricanes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Miami, you know they should be They won last week despite some controversy. I mean, I don't know how controversial it was, but you know, that was a game they could have easily lost, and they know it. They've got a lot on the line. And here's the facts. They're way better, Like, they're way more talented than cal cal has just been cute, right, and it's been fun to see them make fun of themselves. The woke first Coke is pretty funny, but like I'm with you, I think I think it's probably pretty ugly tomorrow.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 2: My last you know one that I'm gonna throw out there, as far as feeling pretty good about one that I've you know, dare I say done some research on Ole Miss in South Carolina. I'm gonna take South Carolina plus eight and a half because I just think they're gonna have the They're at home, and by the way, they have a It was said before the season started that they have the most by one of the guys I follow on CBS Sports, Josh Pate, that Williams Brice Stadium is one of the most underrated atmospheres in college football. And this South Carolina team, again, they should have lost to Old Dominion. At the beginning of the season. They had a heartbreaking loss to LSU where they probably should have won. There was a questionable call there. I mean, they carried that momentum from the UK game in and just came up short against LSU, a game that you can without a questionable call, they probably would have won. I'm not saying Old Missus frauds. I'm not saying that they're you know that they're gonna end up having a terrible season because Kentucky beat them. However, I think that, you know, it's more about my confidence that South Carolina's defense, their front seven, will be able to slow this Old Miss team down offensively. And again I'm not saying they'll win but they're getting a lot of points at home, so I'm taking South Carolina plus eight and a half. All right, we gotta run quick break. We'll come back and wrap this up on the other side. Give it a lock right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Another reminder that tomorrow, tomorrow morning, it's another noon or so, we will start things at eleven o'clock the Louisville football pregame show.
Speaker 3: Hosted by Yours Truly. We'll start.
Speaker 2: It's presented by Jefferson Animal Hospital and Pillow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky, and then we'll get it started once again right after the game ends as we react to whatever it is that happens. I'm hopeful that it's a celebration. And look not to say that, you know, win means we're gonna be partying, but it's needed, not only because you want to get that bad taste out of your mouth from Notre Dame, but also it's it's a conference game. And I think right now as we speak, we'll see maybe we're way wrong. Maybe a month later it looks a lot different, but you know, right now, when you look at Louisville schedule, they still have to play the two best teams in this league, and that's Clemson and Florida State, or not Florida State, but Clemson and Miami. But other than that, I would say that this is gonna be your best opponent in league play, so there would be some real value there. All right, everybody, have a good weekend, John, and good luck on your parlay. I guess we'll talk tomorrow. Yeah, we'll be talking tomorrow, kind of seeing how it's looking. So have a good weekend, everybody. Maybe I'll see it. Louisville liive, take care. They