Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentuckyana.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas eight oh five.
Speaker 1: As we get the week started. We got the week started, in fact.
Speaker 2: A lot earlier than you did if you're just now joining us. But it's okay if you missed out, just you know, set your alarm earlier and you can start.
Speaker 1: Your day with us every day at five o'clock.
Speaker 2: I'm really trying to sell that is it's if it's something you're just missing out on, if you're not waking up that early. Some people have to wake up that early because that's when they start their workday. But if you are somebody that gets to sleep in a little bit later, I envy you, and also I get it sleep is.
Speaker 1: Very valuable.
Speaker 2: In fact, last night was the first Sunday since I made the shift to this new role here, and it was like nine thirty and the Sunday scaries hadn't set in, and I'm like, you know what, I guess they're not coming because I just I mean, Sundays are now the day John for me, where I just know, okay, I can it's part of the weekend still, you know, I'm not working. I do get to sleep in that day, but my Sundays are very mild now compared to what they once were, just because you know, I got I got an early rise on a Monday one day. I'll be as adjusted as you are. But then again, as soon as you got adjusted, or at least used to it, then you then you became a father, and then your sleep pattern, I'm sure became uh, I'm even more.
Speaker 3: Well adjusted to that now. Thankfully, good, good, hopefully I'll say that, and then you know, things will change here in the next few days, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: But hey, it's good. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to hear you say that. Also, I can tell just by uh, you know that, but also you know, I just visually I can just I can just tell that you know, you didn't get up, you didn't get a good night's sleep certain mornings, and it's not anything you. I mean, you still come in here, you do a great job, but you wear your your fatigue at times, which I don't know how you wouldn't. You just look tired sometimes, which again I get it. You got you got a newborn at home, But I'm glad to hear it. Again, I could tell that you've been You've you've at least adjusted.
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Is it consistency now that is paying off to where there's more of a routine with with baby Daisy.
Speaker 3: It's consistency. It's better communication between me and my wife on you know, both of us needing sleep at different points of the day, and I think that's really helped both of us.
Speaker 1: Good good to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I just did something that I shouldn't have done because it happened to me last week and I've got I've got tough skin. But my wife, she she wanted to let me know without being mean. But when you tell somebody they look tired, that's insulting their appearance. That's I mean, maybe you're not. I mean, I don't think you're coming from a place of where you want to let somebody know that they look awful, they look rough. But who has ever been told they look tired? Or who has ever told someone they look tired? And the feeling on either side being one of compliment nothing right. I mean, you know, we were at an event with her work and it was it was last Thursday, and I I didn't get as much rest during the day so I didn't get the nap that I needed. Therefore, by seven o'clock I was running on fumes, and I guess it was visibly showing, and she like, you look tired today, and I'm like, yeah, I'm pretty tired. And then she asked me to go rub some water on my face and you know, like freshen up a little bit.
Speaker 1: I'm like, is it that bad? She was like, you look tired. I'm like, all right, geez.
Speaker 2: But that was my fault, because that was every now and then I'll get a little a little too confident that, oh this is fine, I'm adjusted one thousand percent now, nothing to worry about. And then if I don't get the proper rest during the day and I don't get to bed at a certain time, then I'll learn quickly I'm going to be I'm defeated. I've got to be able to have that self discipline is really what I've always liked, and certainly now I need more of. So anyhow, so this is something that you've heard throughout the morning on the news that President Trump says that he has a buyer for TikTok. He told Fox News that a buyer is in place, but he didn't say who it was, and he's extended it many times, the deadline to sell the company from the Chinese ownership. I think it's Byte Dance is the name of the company. So he's trying to find buyers, and he says these new buyers, as you could expect if you're going to purchase the most popular social media platform out there, that you'd be very wealthy. But he said he'll have more to say on the matter in about two weeks. So, as you likely know, Congress forced the sale of TikTok fearing the national security concerns over the Chinese ownership.
Speaker 1: So what I think is, when I have a hard I think this.
Speaker 2: Thing will be extended until something is done to where you don't have to worry about needing extension. But what nobody seems to really highlight is that Byte Dance the owner of TikTok. Unless I've missed out on it, I don't think they've ever indicated they have any interest in selling. So you can find a buyer, you can have unlimited money. Someone is going to have to want to sell you what you want. Finding a buyer is really really important, and it's a big piece when you are trying to sell something. I don't think the company that owns TikTok is eager to sell.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: Again, they may get an offer they can't refuse, and maybe they realize, maybe they feel like they've maximized what they could get out of it, and it's only going to go down from here. But again, I know at times I sound like I'm some big advocate of TikTok, and it's not that, because you can do whatever you want. I mean, in fact, if you don't want to spend any time on any of these social media platforms, you're probably better off. But I just think that a lot of people have a misconception of really what TikTok is, and I don't even really know what When it comes to describing what it is, it can be a variety of different things for different people. That's the power of what it is as far as the platform. So again, Trump says he's got a buyer. We'll know more in two weeks as far as who that is. But when it comes to a transaction, a buyer and a seller, you need too And he says he has the buyer, But do they want to sell. I've yet to see any indication that they're looking to put it up on the market, but we shall see. All right, we'll talk a little more about what we know as far as the situation in Colorado that took place I'm sorry, Idaho that took place yesterday, and we'll also bring in roy O'Neil coming up at eight thirty. It's Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty WHS eight sixteen. Here Kentucky. Anda's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas we'll talk to Roy O'Neil a the NBC News Coming up here at eight thirty. We'll get the latest on the situation in Idaho where firefighters were ambushed while responding.
Speaker 1: To a fire. We do know that at least two firefighters.
Speaker 2: Have been killed and the suspect also was found dead. As far as the identity of that individual, that is still not something we know at this time. So again, roy O'Neil set to join us coming up at about eight thirty. The big story here locally this morning has been the passing of legendary Hall of Famer heck of a guy, de Wayne Lucas, who passed away on Saturday at the age of eighty nine. If you are somebody that is even somewhat familiar with this city and horse racing, you know who d Wayne Lucas is. This is the guy who won the Derby four times, has a total of fourteen Triple Crown race wins, and won the Preakness six times, as well as four wins in the Belmont, and he also secured twenty Breeders' Cup victories and just a guy that did it for a long time and was very successful, seemingly from start to finish. But what I have come to realize, and and by the way, I did not have any I've never had the pleasure of meeting or just or talking to d Wayne Lucas. But if I ever did, I would have I'd like to believe I would have considered it to be a really big honor, just because that's the kind of presence that he had, somebody that not only was impactful in a major way when it comes to horse racing, but he seemed to really leave an impression and make an impact on a lot of people as well. That is not something that goes unnoticed. When you know somebody's always going to be just because their presence and what they've established in their industry, meaning horse racing, they're going to be a no name. But I think in at least the last ten years or so, when people would talk about Dwayne Lucas, it wasn't as much about what he accomplished in horse racing. It was just the impression that he left on them. I mean, I think for as long as he did it, he was pretty consistent, very genuine, and those that got a chance to know him a little bit and covered him throughout his career, they're not talking a whole lot about his accomplishments. Not that they don't value what he did when it comes to his profession, but certainly somebody that's going to be missed in a major way. So rip and thoughts and prayers with his family and of course all those that did know de Wayne Lucas eighty nine years old and passed on Saturday. Churchill Down's put out a press release with that information on Sunday afternoon.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Also the Crystal Rogers case, the trial is expected to start back up today, but last week as it came to an end, and there was some testimony that I think was is damaging is damaging of anything that has come up in this trial that started last week. For the defense, we now have a neighbor who's testified that brooks Howk's family, his mother and brother, they suspiciously, suspiciously moved bags from their trunks into into brooks Howse's basement just days after Christal Rogers vanished. And also there was another another witness that testified that she over heard Joseph and Stephen laws and discussing moving a body on the house farm using a skid steer. So again that's that's not that's not direct proof. There's still I mean there's no body, there's no physical evidence, so all this is circumstantial, which of course is not ideal in most instances for the prosecution. But I think when it comes to the evidence, even though again it's it's it's there's no body, I mean, there's no crime scene, that's always a challenge when it comes to the prosecution. But I guess what we're gonna find out is that here are they willing to run with all of the evidence that certainly can't just be some coincidence to make a decision that of course would find these individuals guilty of murder. So it'll start back up today and we'll keep the updated as best we can.
Speaker 1: As you could expect.
Speaker 2: The defense they're emphasizing and they're going to continue to emphasize that this case stems from the media and family pressure and some of the things that they're being accused of doing. As far as being shady and suspicious, they were just worried that law enforcement was out to get them. That's kind of the gist of what the defense is here, and that, you know it, don't be surprised if we hear that that was said more than anything throughout this entire situation is that there's no body, there's no crime scene, there's no physical evidence, because those are.
Speaker 1: Pretty important things when it comes to a trial like this.
Speaker 2: All right, we've got sports coming your way, but first, an update on trafficking weather, and again don't forget Roy and Neil going to join us at eight thirty.
Speaker 1: Right here, there's radio eight forty WHS.
Speaker 2: It is a forty five here Kentucky AA's Morning News with Nick Coffee.
Speaker 1: Here. I almost said the wrong station.
Speaker 2: It's News Radio eight forty WHS the Big Stick and Tony Venetti is with me. Here this morning, I just shared some news with you that you don't seem too happy about, and that is that there's not going to be parking meters in the Highlands potentially, and that that'll be a big change just because forever you've never had to pay to park on Barchtown Road in the Highlands if you're right there on the street in front of all the businesses and whatnot. But now the Parking Authority of River City plans to add three hundred and twenty eight parking meters along Barchtown Road in the Highlands to increase revenue and also parking turnover for businesses.
Speaker 4: Every policy, okay, every policy, you gotta find what information makes this make sense. Because if there's no agenda, then you go, oh, that should be great for business. Opposite, no one wants. It'll be another hurdle people will have to do to go down there and spend money.
Speaker 1: Dwight will not go.
Speaker 4: He's the unusual weirdo, but he'll not go to the Highlands because.
Speaker 1: You go, oh, the convenient parking No, thank you.
Speaker 4: Like he has to go anyway because that now you throw parking meters in there, that will reduce business in the Highlands. What makes that make sense my opinion, and I have no evidence based on this because I haven't talked to anybody about this subject yet, but that means to me that says Nick that they want to tow cars and get rid of some of these.
Speaker 1: Pop up parties.
Speaker 2: Could be or they want money. This would generate apparently two hundred and eighty five thousand annually and it's supposed to help fund the operations of the Parking Authority.
Speaker 1: Of River City.
Speaker 2: So you're right, there are people who just think of the having to parallel park on that busy road and they're like, yeah, I'm out. But if you throw in you got to do that and you gotta pay, it could turn a lot of people away.
Speaker 4: So I thought the uber lanes were a great idea.
Speaker 2: So the Friends of Barstown Road that group, they opposed the plan, and what they have cited as far as the unfairness here is that other areas like Frankfort Avenue remain meter free, and that is a legitimate great because if you are competing with a restaurant that's in the same space as you as far as the type of food, and they're relatively the same distance from where you're coming from. People would probably choose to to go to the one where they don't have to pay to park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like Saint Matthew's. Yeah, there's that whole Saint Matthew's Bar corridor. Uh, there's what seven or eight bars there. There's no pain for parking there. So that's where they're going to go.
Speaker 2: Put your put yourself in the shoes of a business owner, and I'm going to sell you on the positive of this. Oh what's the positive, sir, Well, what this could do is help turn over parking to get more people to be able to park and come to your business. That now people won't leave their car there all day and limit parking spaces for people that want to come and give you business. Doesn't sound like I'm hitting here, doesn't sound like it's connecting.
Speaker 4: No, not selling me, not selling me at all. If I'm with you, I wouldn't think if I own the business actually, after the shootings, after the pop up parties, if I own a business, and especially the ones that have owned the businesses for like thirty years down there, there's a point when you got to go, I'm out, I'm not doing this. There are areas that get hot and then and then they die off, right, So and that I'm not saying the Highlands is dying off.
Speaker 1: It's it's a walkable.
Speaker 4: Most people that used to go to those businesses live in the Highlands and they walk there.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: That's the whole thing about the Highlands is that on a Friday, or's warm Friday or Saturday night, that there's just a ton of people walking on the sidewalks.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I like the uber idea because even I mean, Jackie and I we uber everywhere.
Speaker 1: It's so easy.
Speaker 4: The longest I've ever waited for an uber is four minutes, especially in Louisville. So you have nothing but an uber lane, or it's just a row of ubers you can just get in. That would be the idea. And it's safety, not drinking.
Speaker 2: And yeah, I think one. I didn't give this much thought. But the first thing you mentioned, as far as just wanting to tow, wanting to tow cars that haven't paid the meter and get them out of there, that's probably a bit and that's I'd say that's at least somewhat of a factor in this decision. But I wouldn't be shocked if in twenty years. You just know if you leave the house and go somewhere, probably less than twenty years, probably five years. He probably next week. I don't know that if you end up having to pay to park anywhere, like, we just can't be surprised.
Speaker 1: Nobody wants to do it.
Speaker 2: But I am no longer surprised when I go anywhere and I've got to pay to park.
Speaker 4: All right, let me ask you a question. They're chief one to ten. How good are you at parallel parking?
Speaker 1: I used to park cars for a living, so I'm pretty good.
Speaker 4: Damn.
Speaker 1: I was a valet valet parker.
Speaker 2: At Jewish Hospital when I was eighteen nineteen.
Speaker 4: I'm fifty six and still suck at it. I can teach you I'm in, I'm in, I'm in. It is more and people aren't good at that. So now you're going to start downe it under pressure on a busy road. Now you're going to go to Molly Balloons and have one of those really thick beer and they're trying to get out of a parking spot.
Speaker 1: Should I lead with.
Speaker 2: That in conversations like not only not only can I parallel park, I can do it in a resume, can do it at a five speed just so where that's like I break the ice from people. I don't know if you know this about me, but I've been known to be a really good parallel parker and could also do it with a manual transmission as well.
Speaker 1: I think you should chart it as a business. I'm Nick Coffee.
Speaker 4: If you're old and can't still can't parlelo a parallel park, I'll teach you.
Speaker 2: I've got you all right. What are some other things that used to just be free? You would never think you'd ever have to pay for parking? Is certainly one of them. The broadcast television used to be that way because you could just get an antenna, right, But now you have to have a converter to use at antenna. Somebody on the talkback feature earlier mentioned one that's good air for your tires. Now it's hard to find a place where you don't have to pay. Yeah, and then I finally bought the thirty dollars are what about? This is more so in Europe, but there are I've never experienced this in the United States, but I did in Mexico, and I never knew it was a thing, but public restrooms, I went to a mall in Kane Kun and the restroom was upstairs and you had to like it's almost like you're paying to get on, like through a train station, Like you have to put like a quarter in to use the bathroom.
Speaker 1: That's not a thing here.
Speaker 2: But I'll crawl under bottled water like I don't know if you would get But now, the bottled water industry didn't used to exist right now it's a four hundred billion dollar industry. Yeah, because they don't trust the water coming out of their tap. There's an old commercial where the guy's sitting in the in the creek in the nineteen seventies and he pours out he has a bottle and goes, I think I'm gonna start selling bottled water, and they were like, dude.
Speaker 1: Water's free, and buy water waters free. Dude.
Speaker 2: Well, I think those that grew up before bottled water was the thing, they just drank it out of the faucet. Those individuals seem to be better off than those that have been well, that have been exposed to the bottled water industry.
Speaker 4: Well, most people that I know that are crazy and have real issues. Dwight Whitton Trees still drinks out of the tap.
Speaker 1: I'm still a garden hose guy. You kidding me answers a lot of questions.
Speaker 4: Filling up the pool answers a lot of questions there cutting the grass you know has been drugging you for years.
Speaker 2: It's a hard time paying for a bottle of water. I mean sometimes you have to.
Speaker 4: It's six dollars for twenty four of make Kroger Like, no.
Speaker 1: That's different.
Speaker 2: But like if you go to like a bottle of water at a bowl game, I mean that's just like if I'm good, if I'm paying, I'm not getting water.
Speaker 1: I'm getting it.
Speaker 2: Try Disney cold beer, and I'm gonna throw it down the neck.
Speaker 1: Try Disney.
Speaker 2: Oh never, that's when I envisioned Hell on Earth. I think a Disney. Hey, what about the mouse like that? Look, my kids still think that the Hillview Fair and Bullet County is Disney.
Speaker 1: And if somebody tells.
Speaker 2: The otherwise, then with me was Mickey to help sell it. Thanks guys, we'll uh, we'll be back at it tomorrow morning. Tony Dwight, come on your way up next right here on New's ready wait forty to be your chance