Speaker 1: Oh, here's your nine Channeline weather fores forecasts mostly sunny day to day, a highest seventy eight, cloudy overnight forty nine. Tomorrow, rain in the morning with scattered thunderstorms. Get a break during the day high of seventy one. The rain comes back in in the afternoon late could be a heavy rain too. They're expecting one to two inches along with dusty wins fifty four the overnight low with the high of fifty eight on Sunday, and the rain leaving us early in the morning fifty degrees. Right now, let's get a traffic.
Speaker 2: Update from the UC Health Traffic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second count. That's why the UC Health Comprehensive Stroke Center is the clear choice for rapid life saving treatment. Learn more at u seehealth dot com. Traffic is stop and go in a couple of spots this morning. For seventy one northbound at Grand Avenue, the two right lanes are blocked by a crash here and you're stopping go from Alexandria Pike. Also two seventy five eastbound after New Richmond traffic slows from Kellogg Avenue. I'm Heather Pasco in fifty five.
Speaker 1: R the talk station, a twenty nine fifty five KRCD talk station. Happy Friday, Love my Friday's here in the Morning Show. And I love the Empower Youth Seminar series. I'm just a huge fan of what Dan reaganol has been able to do over the years with these wonderful learning opportunities. Empower You America dot org. You can always stream the courses from your home or show up in the Empower Youth studios for most of them. And one that's coming up March eighteenth, is going to be done by Luann Harbin, my next guest. She is described as one of sixteen hundred ICF Master Coaches, executive and leadership coach, career accelerator, transformational consultant, teacher, and facilitator. She's going to help you deal with your own self limiting beliefs with self empowering beliefs. Louis, it's a pleasure to have you on the Morning.
Speaker 3: Show, going thank you. It's a pleasure to be here this morning.
Speaker 1: Well, let's start off with what is an ICF Master Coach?
Speaker 3: If I may ask, oh, okay, It's the International Coach Federation. It's a global organization that certifies coaches and maths or coaches a designation that is achieved through the number of hours of experience as well as the training exams those kinds of things.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough, now you talk about in this class is going to obviously delve into a much deeper But our perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors impact ourselves and how we deal with life. And I guess we're really not meant to go through life feeling anxious, disconnected, insecure, cluttered, chronically, stressed and worried and said most of the time. That obviously interferes with our enjoyment of life, but also our ability to accomplish our task at our job and work and elsewhere, our relationships with our families. What is it about what you're teaching, this science of psychological change that can help us address these issues.
Speaker 3: So from understanding the science of psychological change, we can actually understand how we are being triggered, because quite often when we're triggered into those states of anxiety that interfere with what we're going on because we have a belief that is affecting how we see the situation. It's our awareness, we're perceiving it a certain way, but there's actually other ways of perceiving it, and if we were to get to the actual root of it, the way we perceive it actually stems from and triggers our brain chemistry. So there's a certain brain chemistry that allows us to see challenge as an opportunity as you know, okay, I just have to level up here, or it can also have us have the impression of oh no, this is like daunting to me, this is overwhelming to me. It's like the situation is bigger than me. That's actually comes from just how we perceive it, which triggers those two different brain chemistries. So what I work with is actually helping people, first of all, understand this is a perspective. How can we see this differently and how can we work with it differently and which can lead to a different experience which leads to a different outcome.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough, can you give like a real life illustration of this concept. I know in the notes agism is mentioned, but you know, something you've dealt with, perhaps regularly throughout your career, dealing with this, Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's true. Agis Agism actually is one of the ways that it is dealt with in that we can have a limiting belief that there are factors of our age that have us, let's say, not be able to do certain things, but actually so and sometimes there's a perception that agism might be affecting us what's safe, for example, in the workplace, And actually it's true that people have different strengths, and sometimes what we want to look for is really where are our strengths. So if we were to perceive a situation as well, if I apply for this particular position, I'm going to be maybe be rejected because of my age, But actually what we can look at is, so, really, where are my strengths and really is this the best for me? And where can I go? I always say there's a question who needs to know that I've already learned. So basically, if I had a different perspective on that, rather than seeing that as a rejection type of thing, I can see it as a redirection into where where's it better fit for me? And what am I over likely to Succeeed, who's looking for what I got rather than trying to And I've worked with that anithety about well I'm not going to get a job. It's actually just recognizing more of like, what really is my change? So that actually comes from how we how we perceive that situation.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, on a certain level. I mean I think one has to step outside of one selves and be very objective about where one is. I mean age, for example, I view as a value because life experience in and of itself is a tremendous value. You've seen a lot of things that a younger person hasn't seen. You had to deal with a lot of circumstances they have not yet dealt with, so it provides you with greater level of competence. So that's the way I would approach that. I would immediately say, well, I'm better qualified because simply because of my age. But this requires being objective about the circumstances. It also requires a tremendous amount of introspection, does it not?
Speaker 3: I would agree, it requires a tremendous amount of introspection. And that's exactly you've actually articulated that very well. Because sometimes, for example, if we were to look at the job search, sometimes people are encouraged to, let's say, take years of experience off of their resume, Like so let's say only show let's say fifteen years of experience when really we have over twenty Well there's a reason that we can apply for positions when we have twenty years of experience versus when we have ten or fifteen years of experience. And so it's like really recognizing, like seeing this perspective is how how am I using my strengths versus how am I kind of it's almost a little bit like putting the square peg into the round hole a bit.
Speaker 1: Okay, have a greater sense of self worth. I mean it sounds like you're speaking to people that have sort of perhaps a negative view of themselves, self deprecating people for example.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that comes from a belief because we hear so much in society about agism. We don't really hear a lot of we don't really hear a lot of encouraging things, and so it's easy to it's actually easy to absorb that and think, you know, my chances are limited. Basically that's where beliefs comes in. Beliefs come in. I'm thinking my chances are limited before I've even kind of stepped into the water type of thing. Whereas what and that's where the chemistry comes in. Of when we're in that chemistry we're not actually able to see solutions because it actually shuts down the solution part of the brain. Oh, to a certain extent.
Speaker 4: Like it it's not firing the solution part of the brain, which is why when we're in that perspective, everything feels much more anxious, much more like a struggle.
Speaker 3: And so basically there are ways of just converting that and kind of saying, okay, you can actually do simple body posture that can help to change that level of anxiety.
Speaker 1: So this is a brain this is a brain chemistry type of thing you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Well, well, yes, it is brain chemistry, yes, but and it stems from our beliefs, because our beliefs, So our beliefs trigger there's certain things. So when we hear this in society, we are triggered by it, either maybe by an earlier experience that we've had in life, or maybe we were rejected for something that we really felt was a good fit for us or that we just didn't understand why it didn't work out. But when we change that sort of chemistry, we can kind of see, you know, we see it differently. We don't see it as a rejection as a loss. We see rejection as like a redirection. It's like, Okay, if this one doesn't work, that that means that's giving me feedback. But there's something else and actually will work better. And there are ways that say, for example, instead of taking you know, the twenty years of experience or twenty five years of experience off my resume, there's people who are looking for you know, they don't want to they don't sort of want to do the learning curve. They actually want someone who's gone through that learning curve. So it's looking for you know, who needs to know what I've already learned type of things, right, So recognizing my value and using my value versus thinking, oh I have to take my value off because I'm not going to be chosen in such a like the latter one. That's the lemon taking belief right all right?
Speaker 1: ePower You Similar taking place March eighteenth at seven pm Empoweroamerica dot Org Lewyann. I know you're going to talk about these concepts throughout the process, but you're also going to offer the attendees some daily practices to help them maintain this empowering perspective. Can you just offer perhaps one of those by way of illustration, from my listeners to get a.
Speaker 3: Handle on that. Okay, so well, one of them that I will be talking about a fair bit is the use of questions, because the subconscious mind actually has to way the subconscious mind is programmed, it actually has to answer a question. So I'm going to talk about how to ask questions that will help us change how we see and experience things. And so that's one. Another one is there's there's some simple body postures that actually change the way the brain is kind of firing. And one of them is simply crossing our feet over and crossing our arms over and clasping our hands. The crossover actually changes how things are interacting in our in our Brain'll talk a little bit more about that. That's a really simple bosses A person could do it, like, let's say, if they were even in a stressful meeting or something, they could just cross feet under the table, they could cross their hands under the table, and if they just allow that to happen, it will actually change some of that interaction.
Speaker 1: No kidding, how about that? Well, I'll tell you what It's going to be a fascinating seminar and I'm sure my listeners will be interested. Again, go to empower you America dot org get registered Tuesday, March eighteenth, beginning at seven pm. Luen, it's been a great conversation and I hope you have a successful seminar, and I hope you have a wonderful weekend on top of it.
Speaker 3: Oh well, thank you. I'm really looking forward to it. I love this. This is so much fun actually to share. So I'm looking forward to seeing everyone great.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there. Looking forward to see you. It'll be next Tuesday. Take care. It's been fun having you on the show eight thirty nine. Right now, folks, if you have care site talxation. Looks like Jay's on the phone, Jaip be happy to take your call. You just want to hold on for a minute. I'll be right back after these brief words.
Speaker 3: Fifty five KRC run a busy