Speaker 1: In this episode, we talk about NASA's invitation to Israel to join its Moon based program and the implications this partnership could have for India's space ambitions.
Speaker 2: We also talk.
Speaker 1: About Sharkan Chief Minister Heymans Rain announcing the decision to cancel the jsc CJL examination and all exams conducted by Testing Agency TSR Data Processing Private Limited. But we begin today by discussing the government's move to send the Foreign Contribution Regulation Amendment or FCR Bill to a Joint Parliamentary Committee. Hi, i am Aherri Kananda, and you are listening to three things in an Express News show. Over the past few weeks, the FCR bill has drawn strong objections from the opposition and from church groups, especially over provisions linked to foreign funded assets.
Speaker 3: So, you know, there.
Speaker 4: Are so many NGOs which we come across in our life. Every citizen knows about some of the other angeo. Many of these angos get foreign funds.
Speaker 1: That's the Indian expresses Deep Timari, who has been reporting on this for the paper.
Speaker 4: Now, to regulate these foreign funds because you don't want some ill gotten money, you know, coming into NGOs. You don't want some foreign power trying to influence outcomes of democratic process in India.
Speaker 3: So to regulate these kinds of things.
Speaker 4: There is an act called Foreign Contribution Regulation Act, and this Act has been amended various times in the past to suit situations or to meet.
Speaker 3: New challenges of regulation.
Speaker 4: Similarly, in March this year, the government brought this amendment bill called Foreign Contribution Regulation Amendment built twenty twenty six.
Speaker 3: Now around this bill.
Speaker 4: There has been a lot of controversy since then and basically what the government has been saying that this way has been brought keeping in mind national security and financial transparency, basically saying that foreign money can potentially be used to influence activities in India. The government wants tighter security or foreign contributions. It argues that organizations receive foreign funds, receiving foreign funds must be accountable for how those funds are.
Speaker 1: Used and so now instead of pushing it through the looks ABA immediately, the government has referred it to a JPC, essentially a committee made up of members from both the houses of the Parliament. Now, the question that arises is what such committees can actually do and whether their recommendations are binding and so to understand what exactly a Joint Parliamentary Committee is and why the FCRA bill's referral to a JPC is politically significant. Michaeleeague Chashama talks to Deepiman in this segment.
Speaker 2: Ditiman, could you help us understand why the bill is facing such strong opposition, like what makes it so contentious?
Speaker 3: This is not just another regulatory bill.
Speaker 4: Actually, this will directly affects the ability of civil society organizations to receive foreign funding. That is why you know there is this political and constitutional question around it, because you know, there are certain provisions in this bill which have come for criticism from both NGOs and religious organizations, especially the minority religious organizations.
Speaker 3: So basically what this bill largely.
Speaker 4: Intends to do is, I mean, there is a proposed power being given to the government through a designated authority in the bill to deal with the assets of organizations whose FCRA registration is either canceled or not renewed, or you know, they just choose not to renew their FCRA, And then what happens is that those assets actually get vested with the designated authority, which is created by the government, and then the designated authority decides what to do with those assets. In fact, if the NGO does not renew its FCRA, or if despite its attempts to renew its FCIRA, it is not renewed by the government, then the government can effectively take control of all its assets.
Speaker 3: And this is not just true.
Speaker 4: Of Jews who have created there as it's say in terms of buildings or bank accounts or whatever, merely or completely through FCIRA. You know, the contentious provisions in the bill which everybody is talking about, is that even if say a church is built, you know, so ten percent of the funds that the church has used are you know, foreign contributions. But church has raised substantial amount of money domestically and ninety percent of the church is built with domestic funds. Still, if the FCR registration of the organization which is running the church gets canceled for whatever reason, then the designated authority can take over the whole church because ten percent of the church is built with foreign funds.
Speaker 2: And so, given the controversial nature of the bill, how do we read the government's decision to send it to a joint parliamentary committee instead of simply pushing it to the luks.
Speaker 4: Abah Okay, So there has been considerable opposition to the bill since it was introduced in Luksaba in March and since then opposition parties as well as Christian organizations have protested against it.
Speaker 3: They have expressed their fears.
Speaker 4: You know, Chief ministers from northeastern states have come and met Union Home Minister am DMK MPP Wilson who also heads a minority association.
Speaker 3: He has come along with.
Speaker 4: A delegation of church leaders and met Union Home Minister and said that, you know, this bill should either be withdrawn or sent to a joint parliamentary committee. So there has been a sort of all encompassing demand from minority organizations as well as opposition parties that this bill should either be withdrawn or sent to a joint parliamentary committee. And that is why, you know, the government has relented and sent it. Although the simple question is as to why would a government which has the numbers and only needs simple majority to pass a bill, you know, relent to opposition demands. It hasn't done so on many other bills on which the oppositions demanded withdrawal or minority organizations have you know, expressed fears. For example, on what will minority organizations expressed.
Speaker 3: Considerable anxiety and did not want it passed at all.
Speaker 4: But that work also went to a JPC, but it largely came out as the government's built. So in this case the key is basically politics and there are two strands of this. One is the BJP is trying very hard to make in roads into Kerala. It is very desirous of having electoral success in Kerala and in Kerala its plans will not be successful if it cannot be will if it cannot win the confidence of the Christian community. Secondly, in Tamil Nadu. Again there is significant Christian population in Tamilado. Also BGP is trying to make in roads, but more importantly in Tamiladu, BJP is trying to win over the DMK because it wants to pass the Delimitation Bill, which will not pass the Master of Flow Sabha until the DMK supports it because it is a constitutional amendment bill and will require two third majority.
Speaker 2: Right, And for our listeners hearing the term JPC for the first time, could you help us understand how is a JPC different from say a select committee or a standing committee, Like what pass does it have?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: So the Parliament has several committees which have a specific purpose. As you mentioned, standing committees are sort of permanent committees which are basically department related. So there is a Home Ministry Standing Committee, there, External Affairs Standing Committee is there, so you know there are different departments of the government, and corresponding to that, there are you know, committees which look into their work. Sys there were see assess action taken by the government, you know, express concerns over certain things, so they do a regular assessment of the work of that ministry. Then there are ad hoc committees. Ad hoc committees are essentially committees which are constituted for a specific purpose and then cease to exist after that. So these are essentially select committees in joint parliamentary committees. The difference between select committee and joint parliamentary committee is that select committee is of one house, either of Luksaba or the Raja Shaba. A joint parliamentary committee comprises of members from both the houses Louksawa as well as Rajasaba, so it is more representative, it is more comprehensive and so generally politically contentious bills are generally sent to joint parliamentary committee, so that everybody from Opposition as well as Treasury and the views of both the houses can be taken on board and it can be deliberated and discussed and debated, and then a final conclusion and final set of recommendations can come about.
Speaker 2: And the obvious question here is if the government already has a majority in Parliament and so will likely have a majority inside the GPC two, so how independent can the committee really be?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, that's the principal limitation of any parliamentary committee, because a parliamentary committee is essentially a representation of the parliament. So a party which has a majority in Parliament will also have a majority in the committee. And as it happens, generally, joint parliamentary committees eventually tend to have their chairperson also from the ruling party. So that is a limitation which is there, but that does not essentially make a joint parliamentary committee useless. There are very few occasions when a joint parliamentary committee has been able to alter a bay in a very significant way that it completely changes the legal framework imagined by the government. So generally it so happens that when bills go there, they come out more or less as the government has wanted it to be, with certain suggestions, with certain changes included. There have been some rare occasions in the past when bills or regulations have seen substantial changes, but those have largely been matters which have not been politically contentious or have not been any ideological project of a government.
Speaker 3: For example, if we look at the Works Bill.
Speaker 4: You know, when Works Bill went it was a very acrimonious proceeding in the GPC, and there were even incidents where a bottle was broken on the table by an opposition member. There were daily arguments, there were daily you know, bites by your position members that this GPC has become a joke or whatever. So those kinds of things were happening, and eventually when the bill came out it was more or less what the government had sent in. Because the government had majority, it prevailed over, you know, pushing through the provisions that it wanted to.
Speaker 2: So then how do we see the committee's role in providing recommendations for the substance of the bills.
Speaker 4: It's not entirely a useless exercise because the GPC has the powers to call witnesses to deliberate on a.
Speaker 3: Bill clause by clause everything. You know.
Speaker 4: One thing I must mention here that the whole idea of creating parliamentary committees, the intent was that Parliament and the floor of the House is too busy, it has too many things to do. Probably when a bill comes to the House, it wit grant two days three days to debate it. That's not good enough when you know, a bill which has far reaching consequences is brought to the Parliament. So a parliamentary committee can take three months six months to deliberate on a bill. That is considerable time. It can call witnesses, it can call experts, it can go through documents, it can call you know, government representatives and take their deposition and then arrive at a conclusion or a set of recommendations. So that makes the exercise very comprehensive. Also different views. You know, even if the JPC does not change the law, or if the bill finally comes in the form that the Government had sent it to the JPC, still you know, all the deliberations, all the discussions and all the views of the opposition, all of that will.
Speaker 3: Go on record.
Speaker 4: And this is a debate which cannot be squarely ignored by the government, okay, because they ultimately reach public discourse, so the government is bound to answer them. The government is bound to clarify on your doubts and suspicions that people have about provisions of a bill, right and deepayment.
Speaker 2: Earlier, you spoke of how GPCs are now used mainly for contentious bills, and we're also witnessing fewer and fewer bills being sent to parliamentary committees at all. So how do we understand this broader trend?
Speaker 4: Okay, if we look at the two upa eras you know, around sixty to seventy percent bills went to committees. But when the more the government came its first term saw only twenty five percent bills going to committees, and then the second term so only sixteen percent going two committees. So that shows the government's declining trust on parliamentary committees. Or it feels that the parliamentary committees at the end of the day delay its legislative agenda, because if a bill goes to the parliamentary committee, you know, it will take three months six months to come out with recommendations.
Speaker 3: So somewhere one.
Speaker 4: Could argue that this democratic process of you know, greater deliberations, evidence seeking, questioning provisions brought in by the government and forcing the government to clarify its stand is sort of declining, which is not a very good sign for a parliamentary democracy, because parliamentary democracy is about debate and discussion and.
Speaker 2: Circling back to this bill specifically, what parts of the FCRA could the JPC realistically change?
Speaker 3: It is difficult to say.
Speaker 4: Is the government, as I told you, the government has majority, The government will have majority in the GPC as well.
Speaker 3: The opposition can put for its views.
Speaker 4: If the government does not want to incorporate its suggestions or its recommendations, the opposition will have no choice but to record.
Speaker 3: Its dissent in a discent note, which is allowed in a joint Parliamentary Committee. But beyond that, they can.
Speaker 4: Substantially alter a bill if the government does not want the bill altered.
Speaker 3: Is not possible.
Speaker 4: However, what it will do is it will force the government to answer all the contentious questions because it can call, you know, secretaries, it can call government officials, It can seek clarifications from the government. It can call witnesses, it can call experts who can come and depose even opposition can call experts who can come and depose and say what is the problem with the bill, and then the government will have to answer, and all those things will be recorded, will go into the JPC records.
Speaker 3: What it does is it brings the whole.
Speaker 4: Debate into public discourse because these matters will in some or the other way sort of be reported, come out in the newspapers, be discussed on television, and then you know the government will have to answer them and you know, inform the public as to why the bill that it is bringing is in their interest or is in the national interest, and why nobody needs to fear it. And if it is not able to answer, probably it will have to bring in or accommodate certain changes. So that is the kind of impact that you know a GPC can have.
Speaker 1: And next we turn to an invitation from the US that could have major implications for India's space program. You see, NASA is currently working on its Moon based program, an ambitious effort to establish a permanent research station on the Moon where astronauts could live and conduct research for extended periods. And now the US Space Agency has invited ISRU to be a part of this program. The invitation comes at a time when the India US relationship is facing a number of complicated challenges, making the move particularly significant forst Row. Being part of such a program could have important implications, especially as India works towards projects such as the Baret Antharich Station, its planted space station. But the question is why does NASA need international partners for this project and what would India gain from being a part of it. To answer these questions, we speak to the Indian expresses Amit Absina, who writes on signs for the paper. Amitab firstly tell us about the Moon based project. What does it involve and what are its objectives?
Speaker 5: So basically around twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, the US said, no, we are going to go back to the Moon. After all these fifty years, so the Apollo program had finished in nineteen seventy two and no human being has ever landed on the Moon after that. And now that we are going back to the Moon, this is qualitatively very different. We are going there not just to make a point, but to make it a productive voyage in the sense that now we want to sort of set up a base on the Moon. Now, of course that is not going to happen immediately, but the idea is that once we go back to the Moon. Now we are already thinking in terms of setting up a permanent research station wherein you know, people astronauts and also rowboats, would you know, inhabit the lunar surface for prolonged periods of time, for a few months or a few weeks, No, it depends on how it comes up at a later point of time and then carry out research activities, possibly also indulge in some sort of resource extraction from the lunar surface. So now it's going to be a much more meaningful exercise, and at some point in the future the idea is also to use the mode as the launching pad for deep space missions.
Speaker 1: But Amada, why does NASA want other countries to be a part of the project.
Speaker 5: So, mainly because massive amount of equipment, building materials, all sorts of things would have to be carried from Earth, that multiple trips would have to be made to the Moon and then things need to be constructed there. This infrastructure needs to be set up, so it's a very very challenging, time consuming exercise. Now that is the reason why the United States probably would be looking at partners And what is also relevant in this context is the fact that while NASA has unveieled a very ambitious lunar program, it has also seen under the current Donald Trump administration as significant reduction in its funds. I think for the last year NASA saw its budget being cut by almost twenty five percent if I remember the figure correct, but somewhere very significant reduction in their funds. Also, to a very large part, NASA is not building most of the rocket spacecraft these days. A lot of it is now outsourced, at least the hardware part is outsourced to private commercial companies. So NASA is seeking partnership both from the private sector as well as from other countries to make this Moon based program work. It realizes it's not in a position to do it alone.
Speaker 1: Right and when it comes to the Moon based project, what significance does this invitation hold for ISROE and India's ambitions in the sector.
Speaker 5: So one of the things, of course is India gets first hand experience and exposure to these complex projects. Right now, India is doing it all on its own. Its human spaceflight program, Gaganayan is in almost entirely indigenous. The Barat Antharik. The station is supposed to be an entirely indigenous program, and so is the Man to the Moon project that is supposed to happen in twenty forty. So all these are being developed indigenously. Of course, you know, some sort of cooperation and help all those things keep happening, because space agencies do work together, they do collaborate with each other. But these are supposed to be indigenous programs. Now, if India joins the Moon based program, then you know there is every chance because NASA has already executed these complex missions in the past. It has a running human spaceflight program. It routinely sends astronauts into space to the International Space Station. At least it is the only country to have landed humans on the Moon. So NASA's technology and their space program is fairly well developed, probably the best in the world, the most advanced in the world. So India can benefit from working together and that experience can actually help India fast track its own indigenous program. The other thing, of course, is while no it is good to have these indigenous programs, and it is extremely important to have these capabilities, it would also be increasingly difficult for India to operate all these programs entirely on its own.
Speaker 1: Right, And in that regard, how will this contribute to India's plans of creating an Indian space station, that is the part X station.
Speaker 5: Right, So there is no way that by twenty thirty five the Indian space research ecosystem would be so mature as to be meeting the entire space station all for itself for the entire year. Even the International Space Station that is running, and the previous space stations, they have usually been shared by a lot of them have been some of them were like used only by Russia, some of the Russian stations, but this particular one International Space Station has been constantly shared by the United States and Russia. So if India sets up this space station, it's very unlikely that it will be able to use the entire capacity on its own. Similarly, once it has demonstrated that it has capabilities to launch humans into space and take humans to Moon again, it would be extremely difficult to sustain these programs single handed league for a prolonged period of time, because you know, it's not just about cost, but also whether you are getting you have the requirement for sending such missions. Later on, once having demonstrated your capability. So those are the other reasons why it makes a lot of sense for India to actually collect and increasingly it's just like the United States is seeking partners right now, it makes a lot of sense for India also to partner with other countries while you know, developing its indigenous program and while acquiring the capabilities.
Speaker 1: And finally we turn our attention to Jharkhund where Earlier this week, Chief Minister him And Surain announced that the State Cabinet has decided to cancel the JSSC CGL examination and all examinations conducted by the testing Agency TSR Data Processing Private Limited, adding that approbe had also been ordered into examinations conducted by the state government since twenty fourteen.
Speaker 3: Our Cabinet sc ur Tura Chada Josh.
Speaker 1: For those who may not know that JSCCGL is a recruitment examination conducted by the jark And Staff Selection Commission for various Group B and Group C government posts. The examination, originally scheduled for January twenty twenty four, was canceled following allegations of a paper leak, and was eventually held in September twenty twenty four. So Rain said the ongoing investigations had uncovered shocking findings and pointed to the possibility of a larger network involving companies associated with the examination process. The decision comes after weeks of protests by students who have been demanding a CBI probe into the alleged irregularities in state recruitment examinations. The government's decision, however, has not satisfied all those affected. The Internet expresses Shubhamtika Rights that students who qualified for the now canceled JSCCGL examination protested outside Project Bubwan, arguing that they should not lose their jobs because of irregularities for which they were not responsible. It is important to note that over nineteen hundred candidates had already been appointed through the recruitment process, with employees having worked for nearly nine months now. Surain's announcement marks a reversal of the government's earlier position. Earlier this month, it had said that the results could not be canceled because the examination process was being conducted under the monitoring of the Supreme Court and.
Speaker 3: The High Court.
Speaker 1: Tiga writes that the protests had also drawn intervention from Congress leader Rahul Gandhi, who urged Surain to meet the protesting students and address their grievances. The congress and ally of Suraine's Sharkan, Muktimocha, said it did not want students to feel that the party was not supporting them. Also, on Monday night, following Sourin's announcement, student leader Dewayn dr Nat Mahto ended his sixteen day hunger strike. Mahtou described the decision as a major victory for the student movement, but said the agitation had also highlighted deeper problems in Sharkan's recruitment system. However, protesters si they would continue their agitation until their demand for a CBI probe into all examinations in question was met. The state government also announced measures aimed at reforming the recruitment process. It will constitute a committee headed by ISS Officer Amitab Koschel to work on education reforms, while a portal has been opened for students, teachers and parents to submit suggestions on examination reforms. You were listening to Three Things by The Indian Express. Today's episode was edited and mixed by Surish Brawar and produced by Ichasharma and me Niharikhananda. If you like the show, then do subscribe to us wherever you get your podcasts. You can also recommend the show to someone you think we'll like it, share it with a friend or someone in your family. It's the best way for people to get to know about us. You can also tweet us at Express podcast and write to us at podcasts at Indianexpress dot com.