Speaker 1: Welcome to May's Mouth, a Ghostwax interlude. May's Mouth is set in the worlds of Ghostwax, but is a shade darker and contains graphic content. Listener discretion is advised. Episode five Inside.
Speaker 2: Then we need to talk about VICKI I think she's gonna crack.
Speaker 3: We need to finish packing up and get inside before anything else happens.
Speaker 2: Ah, I think we need to slow down. This is I don't feel in control anymore.
Speaker 3: That's what this is about. This is about reclaiming control. We've been slinking like vampires through the shadows. We are going to get some sunshine. You get it.
Speaker 2: I thought this was about the truth, about uncovering the truth. What what were what were we going to do to actually do?
Speaker 4: It's bigger than truth.
Speaker 3: This is there's something unhinged in the world, something broken, and we are gonna walk through the.
Speaker 4: Gap and there's something there. Look at my hand, he looks wrong.
Speaker 3: It feels amazing. I feel a thousand feet tall. It's strong, really strong.
Speaker 5: Look, oh my god.
Speaker 3: We are pushing through into something bigger than discovery or revenge or whatever. This is transformation. Okay, okay, I'll be right back. You ready, to go. Okay, good girl.
Speaker 6: Fuck yeah, Vicky's always been baddy, but now Ben's gone. Who will lose it next? Do you think, well we're gonna do?
Speaker 7: Who? I mean?
Speaker 6: Doesn't really change things for me. I wanted back in the maze because I missed it, because it gave me gifts last time I was in it, and all the whining and whinging has just been something I put up with.
Speaker 5: Am I Trying to cope with my son's gruesome murder has been pretty cringe?
Speaker 6: No, just not something I can relate to or.
Speaker 2: Care about, right, because you are a psychopath?
Speaker 6: Bingo?
Speaker 5: Have you seen his hand, his new one? It doesn't look like a human hand, does it?
Speaker 6: What do you think is happening here? Miss Molly? Okay, okay, okay, ready to go.
Speaker 8: Let's go, Kayley, Mommy's coming.
Speaker 3: Climbing gear check, weapons, check, supplies checks?
Speaker 4: Move?
Speaker 5: Fuck?
Speaker 4: What's wrong?
Speaker 5: I just realized the off ramp was a mile ago. What never mind? I'm ready?
Speaker 4: Okay, So I just sort of pushed in.
Speaker 3: There was a little resistance, but then it gave and there was something on the other side.
Speaker 6: Why are you looking at me like I'm about to say something?
Speaker 5: Lude is there air on the other.
Speaker 3: Side felt like it, but can't be sure. Could be poisonous even if it is so masks on.
Speaker 7: Pulling my hair like this, Yeah it feels good.
Speaker 3: Okay, flashlights too. Hey, this has been a difficult trip, but we are here.
Speaker 4: We did it.
Speaker 7: Sorry. I was expecting something to snatch out and yank you in. You were expecting him to get deep blue seed? Yeah, I'm going first. Look yuck, so weird it's open. Okay, missed you.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna think about this moment later. Well I could have left.
Speaker 3: Kick the gear on air looks weird. Where's this red light coming from? Fig? You spent the most time inside? Ever seen anything like this? Hmm?
Speaker 7: I saw some weird lights I couldn't explain, but nothing that looked like I was inside an artery. Look at the walls, they're moving.
Speaker 3: Kallie Vicky, that's not keep it together. We are going to search, but we aren't going to go around shouting our location. Remember what's in here?
Speaker 9: Remember what That's why I need to find her, Kayley Shutt.
Speaker 3: Vicky, I am not going to ask you again to keep your voice down. You aren't gonna yell, and you're gonna follow along and do as you're told. Okay, a.
Speaker 7: Hurt man, fucking heart.
Speaker 5: I just need to find Kaylee.
Speaker 7: I need to find her.
Speaker 5: Jesus Christ, keep it.
Speaker 3: Tight, stay close.
Speaker 10: The spaces existed clearly, they walked through them, in them, but nothing about them seemed real. Can something exist and not be real? Doors, windows, walls, stairs, real things made of stone, wood, clay, skin, real things in between here and there, awake and asleep. It seemed a terrible, all encompassing dream. Until they found the wall, simple concrete, gray, the message spray paint.
Speaker 5: Oh what the fuck?
Speaker 4: We don't know?
Speaker 3: That's for us?
Speaker 7: But we do though.
Speaker 11: Huh, I don't get it says welcome home.
Speaker 7: What's the panic?
Speaker 5: You don't feel.
Speaker 7: The I don't feel shit? Where is Kaylee?
Speaker 3: Was that door always there?
Speaker 7: You know it wasn't? It's for us, you know it is. Oh, we're not going to consider this going back. We could go back.
Speaker 4: Don't be stupid.
Speaker 3: It's made all.
Speaker 6: Yes, I think I'm gonna pee.
Speaker 4: It wants us here? And what's that?
Speaker 10: The maze opens up to them a room, a scale set to a specified weight on a small white table.
Speaker 4: A cleaver helpful.
Speaker 10: Sits next to it. On the wall. Another message, This one short, simple, a request our command.
Speaker 6: Flesh instructions clear.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, this is what is happening.
Speaker 4: It's a test, the mazes testingals.
Speaker 5: Why do we want that? What are we even doing? Why are we here?
Speaker 12: I wanted to know, to get revenge or expose this, but that's not going to happen.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm digging a pit.
Speaker 12: I'm standing at the bottom and I can't reach the edge anymore.
Speaker 6: No, that's not a pit. Then it's a grave.
Speaker 12: What did we ever think we were going to do. We've been chasing shadows and sensations. We've been killing people and breathing out of their lungs.
Speaker 2: Chasing a maze full of monsters.
Speaker 5: This is insane. We are insane.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 11: I don't know what you're doing here, but I'm here to get my daughter back. If this is a.
Speaker 6: Test, we have to pass it.
Speaker 5: We have to.
Speaker 11: If it wants flesh, then we give it to it. Do we go back and find some mondy? You know?
Speaker 4: Nope, we've got flesh here.
Speaker 6: Okay?
Speaker 5: What have we got? Like canned meat?
Speaker 4: That's not what it wants.
Speaker 6: Have you ever noticed on my left ear is like half an inch lower than my right one. Oh my god, shit, I guess cartilage isn't very heavy. It needs more? Should I make myself match?
Speaker 5: No? Stop? Do you still have Ben's hand?
Speaker 6: Oh? Would it be creepy if I did?
Speaker 5: No, it would be good. Put it on the scale, clever. Ah those bite marks?
Speaker 6: I got curious, Ben, you do not taste great, but hand meat is never really especially good.
Speaker 5: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: Wait, you heard that? You like caught me fake?
Speaker 5: You are really really fucked up.
Speaker 6: Finally I am seen.
Speaker 5: Oh fucking hell, he wants more?
Speaker 4: Give me that.
Speaker 6: Wait ah, good Jesus Christ.
Speaker 5: Sit Ben, Ben, Stop.
Speaker 3: The maze won't let us diets what it wants.
Speaker 5: Then stop, please stop more.
Speaker 6: I think I'm gonna puke.
Speaker 5: Stop there.
Speaker 4: Wife always tease me about the love handles. I mean she was right.
Speaker 3: I've needed to lose some weight for a while.
Speaker 5: I could have left. I could have left.
Speaker 3: Yeah, see that did it? And there's the door. We are going to make it to what to May's mouth?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 10: But she knew, deep down, she knew.
Speaker 6: What the fresh hell is?
Speaker 3: This?
Speaker 10: A small room intimate for small pedestals, with familiar looking books set the top. They knew whose each was the message on the wall.
Speaker 6: Truths, I prefer dares.
Speaker 4: I hated my wife. At first.
Speaker 3: I used to imagine my life if she just disappeared. I think about it, and my shoulders would relax, my breath would slow like I was about to fall asleep. After a while, that wasn't enough. And when she'd look at me with those oh so put upon eyes, that glare that told me she hated me too, I imagine strangling her, of picking her up and shaking her till she came apart. Found an old wardrobe with a sign on it, and a thing came out of it and made my dreams come true. And I was fucking the checkout girl within two weeks.
Speaker 6: Oh please me next.
Speaker 5: I can't what is happening. It's a test.
Speaker 11: We just have to pass the test, and it's gonna give us Kaylee back.
Speaker 5: VICKI, your daughter is gone. This is just a game. The fucking devil huzzles. We're in hell.
Speaker 11: No, Molly, your child is gone. Yours is yours and dead and ripped to pieces.
Speaker 8: Don't get us confused, bitch.
Speaker 6: After my parents were eaten by the thing in the walls, that followed me out of the maze. Oh good, I was hoping it would want me to tell this story. I went outside and found Trey Webb he mowing the lawn next door. I told him my mom wanted him to come over to ask about hiring him to mow their lawn too. He and my mom had this friendliness that I didn't understand but knew enough about to be jealous of. I told him she was in the living room, which was sort of true, I guess. And when the thing in the walls got him, I watched from the doorway. He looked so confused, and I came for the first time, monsters, You're getting it.
Speaker 5: This is where we belong.
Speaker 6: I can't wait to hear yours.
Speaker 5: I can't breathe.
Speaker 4: Really, I feel amazing. I feel like I'm breathing for the first time.
Speaker 11: I I don't I don't understand mine.
Speaker 13: Just read it out loud.
Speaker 11: Why but it doesn't make sense?
Speaker 4: Read it.
Speaker 11: The man in the TV said that I was a good girl, that if I prayed and hoped hard enough that you could find me, save me from my mum, she would leave me for so long, and I was so hungry, but the door was locked. I could hear what she was doing when she was home, and it made me so scared. Sometimes even my room door was locked, but the man in the TV said that the TV could be a window if I just hoped and believed hard enough, and he was right. One day I reached through and took his hand. He was going to take me away away from her, and I was so happy, but I told him to wait until she came home so she could.
Speaker 5: See me go. She didn't love me, but she was my mom, and I.
Speaker 8: Still loved her. I didn't want her to wonder where I went. This doesn't make any sense, VICKI. This is this is a lie.
Speaker 7: This this.
Speaker 5: These are these are lies. This is lying. This is this is lying to you. This is this isn't what happened. She didn't she didn't want to go, She didn't. What is this? Even? Where are we?
Speaker 6: This?
Speaker 8: This isn't real, This isn't anything.
Speaker 5: You're lying. Don't you look at me? Don't you fucking look at me?
Speaker 9: Fuck you, fuck you, don't you fucking look at me. Don't you fucking bity me, You fucking bitch. You killed your kid, you did it? So fuck you? Lies, lying, liars, fucking lies.
Speaker 5: Fucking I don't have to listen to this. I don't have to fucking beer. I don't even have to beer.
Speaker 6: And there she goes, Molly read.
Speaker 5: It's all blank.
Speaker 4: Keep looking.
Speaker 5: Oh wait you here? Okay, he says, I tied a knot.
Speaker 6: What that's it?
Speaker 4: There's the next door?
Speaker 6: What a disappointment? That's seriously it? What does it mean?
Speaker 5: I don't know?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 10: The end, the beginning, the end, the middle, No.
Speaker 13: A white hot brand, the last step to a whole new way.
Speaker 5: I hear.
Speaker 6: I don't want to do that, but button.
Speaker 10: And here we go again, and here we go again?
Speaker 6: What are those things? I I don't want.
Speaker 3: This. It goes on the tongue. It's the last step, and then we will be free. We will be back to how we should be. We can go back again. We can free the others too. We can bring them all with us.
Speaker 13: You'll take the brand, after which you'll go back and save them, save yourself.
Speaker 4: I can see it now, see how.
Speaker 3: We all brought ourselves here, Make sure we found our way back. I am the thing in the wardrobe. You are the mouths and the walls, and Molly.
Speaker 5: Like map, like map on a cereal box.
Speaker 13: I want to go home.
Speaker 5: He changed my mind.
Speaker 6: I didn't understand. I'm just a fucking closer of a baker.
Speaker 5: I can't want to be like this. I want to go home. We are.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to ghost Wax, a production of Farign Tall Tales. Find us at Farn Talltales dot squarespace dot com. If you like the show, please rate and review and consider joining us on Patreon at Patreon dot com slash Farn Tall Tales. Ghost Wax is written and directed by Robert Knutsen, production and editing by Aaron Schoenrock, with music by Colton Warren. This episode features Michael mcgeekon as Ben, Abigail Ramsdale as Molly, Adrian Northam as Big, and Alison Kosset as Vicky,