Speaker 1: Yeah, they're not much just singing radioheads classic uh uh classic song Karma Police stuck in my head for like a Dog. Yeah. And it also reminded me because I haven't gone back and listened to Okay Computer recently, and I went back and I was like, huh, okay, Well, you know, the first track is Airbag. It's a really good song if you never heard it. Uh, but uh it. One of the most I think literally ironic things that has ever happened to me was that when I I was just out of college and I was driving to meet my girlfriend now a wifeiler life.
Speaker 2: Guy this I for driving to see the woman he loves.
Speaker 1: Wow, what a fellas?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Gay toot, et cetera. And uh So I I like, uh, somebody in front of me, we're on I'm on a two lane road. Somebody in front of me like stops to turn into this like store. Immediately, just like hard, slams the brakes and causes, like I don't know, a six car pile up behind him because everybody's going too close. And I I hit. Uh, I slammed the brakes. I got hit from behind. I slammed into the people in front of me and my forehead hit the windshield. And the last thing that I heard from the car before before it died, because uh, the engine had been seriously damaged rip was uh uh and the lyric is in uh an airbag saved my life and and rite is that it like faded out, and I like, I was like, huh, well that was pretty funny, right, I was. I was fine, you know, Yeahale.
Speaker 2: I mean here right now, folks, He's here.
Speaker 1: Here, so I'm still here there go. Yeah anyway, yeah, what uh what what non karma police rated news is going?
Speaker 2: I mean I'm back on knife Crime Island. So okay, it's seventeen degrees Celsia's today, which is sixty two point six degrees. So the English are all losing their mind. I saw a shirtless man earlier today as I went for a walk. Yeah, so like that's what's going on here. Uh. You know, some people are just a little a little too hype that it is possibly spring, and you know, like I don't want to jump I don't want to jump the gun too early because the equinox is like not till this weekend, I think, and you never know, like false spring is crafty, right, so you can't just like go around getting your hopes up. So yeah, I'm like trying to readjust the time difference and things of this nature. But yeah, yeah, things are you know, everything's coming up Millhouse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, coming up, everything's coming up the money.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. That's right.
Speaker 1: You're nickname that everyone everyone says uses.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's correct, that's correct, that's correct. I think that actually, I think on the whole the slang, the street slang name I have is doctor j which is fine with me. I think that's a pretty good one because I am much like Julia serving mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I call you, I call you doctor Yea because you know the J is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, goddamn right, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, But then people might might confuse you with Kanye West, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Do you know I was such a fucking huge Kanye fan, which is like it's like I'm always like I try to be like, well, yeah, and then he died in that car accident. Is like the way that I try to do it, but it's still like too complex. I can't like listen to my beautiful, dark Twist and Fantasy anymore.
Speaker 1: Which is a shame because one of the best.
Speaker 2: Rap album one of the best albums of all time.
Speaker 1: Run Away one of the best rap songs of all time. Unfortunately, just like insanely problematic, but like I mean, like, oh yeah, anyway, fuck him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fuck him. It's like I mean, on the other hand too, like radioheadar or Zionists now, so it's like you know, Newhilo, sang Domes, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yep, yep.
Speaker 2: Nick Cave two.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like you know, and this is why, look, this is why Saint George Michael was the only good man to ever live, because you know, he was exactly the opposite of all this ship. It's like a he's dead, which we don't want b banger after banger hit after hat hit, see communism, right, write about everything all the time the end, you know, we shall never see another of his, Like.
Speaker 1: Yep, yeah, yeah, I don't know. I'm trying to think. I'm sure. I'm sure there are more unproblematic musicians, but it's uh, you know, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, but I can't think of them right now.
Speaker 1: I can't think of them right now. That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's oh god, times are bleak. It's bleak out here. Homie.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Like I was just joking around yesterday. I was like, can you imagine like how bad shit is when I like I get back to like turf Island over here, and I'm like, oh gosh, I feel so much safer. You're like, good God, times are bleak in America.
Speaker 1: It is great.
Speaker 2: Mm hmmmm.
Speaker 1: I don't yeah, yeah, we can talk about it on the bonus.
Speaker 2: Now, we'll talk about it. We don't need to tell right now we should. I mean, we got a lot of questions to answer.
Speaker 1: I'm just like I like, bounce in between between, bounce in between. Uh like okay, this is cool, I mean not cool, but like okay, like like it will like these people are more ons, like they're doing this in the like absolute stupidest way possible that is going to blow up so badly, you know. But then it's just like every day it's just something like even stupid or you're like, oh fuck off.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like some new horror every day for sure, And it's just like I gotta say, it's a it's a bit bleak. All my loved ones are really freaked out obviously, like yeah yeah, because it's like I know, I talk to you constantly. But it's like when you're it's different, like being in the company of Americans, because everyone will be like no, like we don't want to do it, I can't do it right, and then they'd be like ten minutes later and another thing. And it's just because it's just like constantly burning in the back of your mind and it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's I mean like it's it's wild. Yeah, I think. Yeah, we'll talk about it on the bonus. There's just too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah we should, we got questions, answers, we should get into it. Let's just get into should thinking about problem. Uh you know, et.
Speaker 1: Cetera, Americana Americana or whatever. Studio estudios. There we go. Yeah, I'm gonna start starting to learn Spanish for reasons. Oh yeah, yeah, anyway, here we go. Uh folks wait, fuck, oh my god. Usually I do the intro on muscle memory, but like it just blanked. Oh my god. All right, here we go. I'll try it again. Yeah, hello, and welcome back to We're Not So Different, a podcast where occasionally my muscle memory fails and I forget how I intro this show on the I don't know two hundred something something episode.
Speaker 2: Look, a lot of things are happening with a lot of people, A.
Speaker 1: Lot of things are happening. My mind clouded, my intentions somewhat pure, my whatever. You guys know the deal. I'm Luke, I do the I do the dumb guyshtick And that's Eleanor and she definitely does not. Yeah, folks, it's a mail call time and we have an admission to make. We're behind on our Patriot questions. All the normal causes are to blame, travel, compress schedules, interviews with amazing guests, things of this nature. But whenever you fear stalwart patron, I swear upon the nearest, the nearest holy relic in my vicinity that we're going to catch up and get this mountain of questions down to a reasonable number by doing a mail back episode a month for a while. Anyway, you good folks know the deal. Patriots get to submit questions that we answer on the show, and we're going to do that right now, and it will be a big pitch for the Patreon too. Hey, patreon dot com, slash wnstpod five bucks a month. It's cool and you will enjoy it all right here, we go. Let's let's do it. Gafsey, Gafsy, always with the good questions. One of the interesting elements of medieval European historiography is the sense of timelessness, with pictures of Jesus being nailed up by legionnaires in chain mail and romance as that feature aneas jousting. Was this understanding of the past being largely the same, or if you prefer, not so different as the present a feature of European historiography specifically, or is it a more general pre modern phenomenon.
Speaker 2: So you tend to see it in primadanity, But there are a couple of things happening here. So like in the first case, the deal with showing religious figures like Jesus in chain mail or like you know, showing the ancients in like modern clothing, et cetera, et cetera, has to do with this idea of Jesus still being present in the modern day. So he's just like you, He's just like me, right, So kind of like what that is doing is it's reinforcing the idea that this is as relevant now as it was when Jesus died, right, And this is kind of similar to the phenomena in medieval religious art of children being pictured as kind of like tiny adult. What that is is an art motif that is showing that children's souls have equal importance to adult souls. Right, So when you see pictures of Jesus and the Apostles, et cetera, etc. Who are dressed like medieval people, what they're saying is like, yeah, this could as easily happen now, right with India's jousting and things like that. What they're attempting to do is kind of show a similar thing, which is under line the noble nature of this person. So that's kind of like when you do a Shakespeare production in modern clothing. You know, like that, that's kind of like the same thing. So it's like what you're doing is you're just kind of like underscoring here is a social milieu from which he came. This is kind of what it means. And I mean you do kind of tend to see this up until modernity, right you hit the renaissances and suddenly they're like, no, I were, motherfucker's in a toga, which you know, not to say that. You know, medieval people don't also have their fair share of these people are wearing togas art because obviously they do, but there is much more of an emphasis than in art on realism quote unquote, and so you don't have the time to kind of play with motifs and things like that because everyone is much stupider. So there you go.
Speaker 1: Tell them.
Speaker 2: I said, that's right. They're like, they don't have time to think about art. They have to be shown everything like a little baby. So yeah, yeah, basically hear that.
Speaker 1: You hear that, you medieval fucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know, I like it's on site mich Gelangelo, which with your beautiful sculptures.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh and yeah, I you know, I don't know. I I assume that everybody's done has done this. I mean, we still do this today. The amount of sincerity in it is debatable. But like you see like pictures of like Jesus like playing basketball, and like you know, like literally like I can see it in my head right now. It's like Jesus crossing over the devil, Like Devil's falling over and Jesus is like crossing him up, and it's like, yeah, I've you know, I've seen that picture since you know, for like fifteen years now. It's you know, so we we do it too. It's just you know, we kind of may are able to wink and nod at it a little bit, whereas they're more like this illustrates X because you know, the thing, the things were a bit more didactic back then. You know, things represented big moral you know, concepts more, you know, even more so than like stuff does now, because we're not you know, we're just not telling the same We tell similar stories, we use similar tropes, we just don't tell them the same way. Uh as far as I could tell anybody, Yeah, you know. And uh also, Jesus looks cool in chain mail, Like what do you want? Like you know, like.
Speaker 2: I don't know, Like I mean, chain like mail is cool.
Speaker 1: Look, I gotta I gotta say the the babies being pictured as adults and that being like for an actual purpose and not just like you know, it's kind of hard to draw a baby like that, you know, it's it's a little more difficult or whatever. Like that is so funny to me because then I think about like the front facing horse, like the really famous like marginalia of the front basing horse where it just looks like insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like one of the Simpsons had on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and you're just like, what the fuck and then it's like, yeah, well, some of it represents that baby souls are are of equal value to adult souls, and some of it represents that drawing a front facing horse is really fucking hard and it always has been. Yeah anyway, yeah, yeah, Evsie, thank you very much for the question. Next we come up to Jazz the Texican, who says, I'm visiting my mom and found my old much Love Stuff panda and it got me wondering what were medieval children's toys, Like, do we have any examples or descriptions of much loved dolls or wooden animals, et cetera.
Speaker 2: So we see these a lot in art, and we know in particular that one of the things that happens a lot is you get little carved wooden animals. And oftentimes we see little carved wooden animals that you can pull around that have wheels. That's really big. Also, you know, just like little carved animals to play with. Certainly there are dolls, and lots of references are made to dolls. They tend to just be made out of cloth. Mind like, you know, no one's using porcelain to make dolls at this point in time, so you know, dolls made out of cloth are big for girls. Less I can tell you less about like stuffed toys in terms of like Teddy Bears and things like that, that doesn't seem to be present so much. Those tend to be a little bit more wooden, I think as a general rule of thumb, whereas like dolls kind of get made out of toyst of cloth. But I can't rule it out. It's just that I've never seen depictions of it. And you know, obviously things that are made out of cloth were not going to have them anymore because they've all rotted by now. So it's very hard for us to still have cloth things from the era. So I cannot rule it out. It very well might have happened. We do know that animal toys are incredibly popular. There's also you know, all of the toys like balls obviously incredibly popular, stick and hoop, big thing. A fun thing to go look at is one of the Broygals. I forget if it's older or younger, has a painting called Games Children Play and it shows you, yeah, and it shows you all different things that they're playing with that you know, everyone's favorite being like poking like some cow dung with a stick, which is.
Speaker 1: A pot that is a time honored actively.
Speaker 2: Time honor game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, time honored activity. I definitely did that. I do have family that that had farms and stuff when I was younger, and yeah, poking, poking ship with a stick, you know, still funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah to the absolutely. But anyway, like granted this this is early modern, but we know that most of the things that are depicted there are uh like present in the medieval world as well, So you know, like flipping around on benches and treating up like jungle gyms, you know, think the same thing with barrels, playing tag. All that stuff kind of like happens. So I guess that there are also like wooden weapons, you know, like wooden swords and stuff like that we tend to see as well. That's a big deal. Yeah, you know, things of this nature kind of exactly what you would expect to see you will see, is the answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, the games children play here, you know, I mean like this is you know, having kids and you know, going and picking kid up from preschool and then regular school. Like yeah, this is still the same stuff they do on the playground. You know, it looks like kids are playing tag, a little bit of tug of war, a couple of people kind of playing chicken on the backs of others. You know, you know, it's just normal kid like, you know, normal kids stuff. Also, I will say one thing that kids have always had is little action figures and dolls that have removable helmets, Like those date back like like four thousand years. Like, you know, kids have always loved a cool little accessory on their dolly or their action figure or whatever it is. They're like, look, the helmet comes off, the hair, the dress comes off. You're just like, yes, yes, give me this, give me this pointless bullshit that I nonetheless love. Uh yeah, Jess, thank you very much for the question. Uh Next, we got one from Alikants, who says, would there be any chance of elaborating on the story of Saint George and his Palestinian roots and why British Gammons want to make Saint George's Day into another white right wing Christmas for themselves? Oli, I'll go ahead and answer. The second part is because they're British Gammons and they're ontologically evil eleanor please elaborate because I know nothing about the.
Speaker 2: First, Like, okay, that that is true. There absolutely evil. Now there's a non evil argument for it, which is that the English we are very specifically owed a couple more days off. I mean, we're not in the EU any longer, but there used to be this thing where it's like you're supposed to have a certain numbers of days off per year, and the English are specifically two days behind. Everyone else in the UK is one day behind. And why because they all get their national Saints days off. So Saint Patrick's Day is a day off in Northern Ireland, Saint David's Day is a day off in Wales, Saint Andrew's Day is a day off Inland Scotland. And we specifically don't have Saint George's Day off because we cannot be trusted because gammon sucks so much, and it's like so we we very specifically don't have it because those people can't fucking behave themselves. So yeah, we should have it off. Everyone else in the UK does, and most countries in Europe you get your local Saints Day off, so I you know, one presumes that in George they're getting Saint George's day off. You know, it's it's hardly revolutionary to have Saint George's the patri state of your country. But we just suck, so we're not allowed to and that and that's just that's just that on that now in terms of what you're talking about. So a fun fact about Saint George is that we think that this kind of trope of like somebody killing a dragon maybe even goes back into like the ancient Egyptian period. Uh So, for example, at the Temple of Edfu, which is like part of the Ptolemaic dynasty, there's a temple of Horus and there's all these depictions of him as a human, sometimes a human with the head of a falcon, and he is like harpooning Set, who was shown as a hippopotamus usually right. This then later on gets changed into him killing a crocodile. And so we found like in Tuta Common's tomb, like Set killing a crocodile as a human. And so then this is like everyone is like, hell, yeah, we got to have one of those, right, So you get Saint George, and uh, the legend here is that Saint George is essentially like Cappadocian, uh so, kind of like Greek Turkic of some description, but very specifically. His mother is regarded as having been Palestinian, uh so, very so there is kind of like a lap of an overlap there, and obviously, you know, like a lot of Palestinians are Christian, uh duh. So, Like the story here is that he was born in Palestine and then like he ends up becoming a Roman soldier like under Diocletian blah blah blah blah, and that's why he gets martyred something something dragon. So my point here being that there is a deep urge in all of our souls to tell a story about someone killing a dragon or a crocodile or whatever. And one hundred percent, and our good friends, the Palestinians revere him because he's a local boy. He's got this this local thing going on. However, he's a Egyptian before that, you know. But he's also huge in the Orthodox Church, right, like that is incredibly important, and like you have lots of places in Palestine named after him, so like like it's he's a very important figure for Palestinians obviously, because everybody loves a local boy, right, so yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm going to show my vulnerability here and admits something incredibly stupid about myself. Until, like, I don't know, a year or two ago, I thought that the Saint George that England uh used as a patron say, it was a different Saint George. Like it was like a.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because why the English.
Speaker 1: Person named George? Yeah yeah, yeah yeah, And I mean this is a really cool story. I was also going to say that this is one of the like this shit is cool, like it just lives up to the whole mystique thing. He was like a Roman officer, he got martyred, killed a dragon, you know, like from these like obscure kind of origins. Like, yeah, that's a really cool story. But yeah, until I really thought it was like you know some like early medieval you know, George gun was.
Speaker 2: Like okay, cool, you know, it's like he's one of these classic guys. Where wouldn't you want to claim him? Right? H So yeah, yeah, right.
Speaker 1: Yep, that that is true. On the other hand, he does kill a dragon and there aren't a lot of them around. George kind of rude kind well yeah, uh no, that's cool. That's really cool and cool that he might actually have Palestinian roots. That's a really neat thing that I really didn't know about until like two years ago, which until then I thought George was just some English guy. Oops. Anyway, really can't thank you for the question. Next, we got one from a dog spotter. What were medieval pregnancy tropes? Was there a food craving that was tell in the same way as pickles or a stereotype in sitcoms? What was the typical pregnancy like in terms of what women were expected to do at various stages. Did they have an equivalent categorization to trimesters? And how would their workload change throughout pregnancy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we don't get to have the same kind of medieval tropes because like, talking about pregnancy is kind of like seen as untoward because you're talking about fucking, which I'm given to understand was actually like a prevalent in quite true, like even in the twentieth century in America where it was like whoa, Like if you refer to pregnancy, then you're like admitting that people are sexually active. Having said that, from a medical standpoint, we've got rather a lot And yes, they do definitely think in trimesters. And one of the big reasons we know about this is, you know, up until the first trimester, abortions are chill, right, so they're kind of like there's a kind of a lot of talking about that, and then after the first trimester they refer to the quickening, and the idea is that like the soul's kind of like a little bit more in there than otherwise would be. In terms of diet stuff, because it's like we're not hearing from people so much. We're hearing from physicians. What they tend to do is they tend to say that you should eat particular things that will be good for your humors. So like if you want to give birth to his son, you're supposed to eat like things that are going to increase your heat and things like that. So we tend to see more like diet strictures than we hear from people themselves in terms of like pregnancy itself and the experience of it. The letter on Virginity or I think it's holly mean fed or whatever in Middle English, it talks about how much pregnancy sucks and his shit and how you shouldn't get married and have kids and you should actually stay a woman who is dedicated to God. And now, to be fair, obviously this is a hostile witness, but it does talk about like how much pain you're going to be and how incredibly heavy it is, how you feel like you're gonna puke all the time, and blah blah blah blah, and how difficult it is to undertake all of your work while you're doing this, which kind of is an indicator that you're still expected to do things for quite some time now. Obviously, as pregnancy kicks in, that's going to go down more and more in terms of just like your ability to be mobile. So like towards the end of pregnancy, it is understood that you're just going to be like everyone's kind of keeping an eye on you to make sure that you know, you don't like go into labor at any moment, and and also like it's going to be very difficult just to bend down to milk the cows. Yeah, so there is there is a very much that you can do, so you know, they're much more matter of fact about what is possible, yeah, as a result of pregnancy, But they're also much more matter of fact about like the fact that so much work needs to get done that you still need to like do it up until it's no longer possible. So it tends to be kind of much more inbuilt in that way in terms of about after care. If you're rich, you might have what they call confinement, so you might like hang out in a dark room that is overheated for quite some time to try to like keep you safe or whatever. That tends to ramp up in the in the early modern period, but there is rather a lot of like laying around, and we see cute pictures of this, like oftentimes if it's like the Virgin Mary in Jesus, where it's like he's all swaddled up and she's just laying in bed like Jesus fucking Christ. Right, So you know, it is expected that you're going to have a week or so just kind of like laying around, you know, and like if there are any complications, then that's gonna like delay it. And there is an understanding that there are going to be complications as well. But you know, most of us live next door to our families or in the same villages, so what happens then is just like the whole extended family swings into action to help you out right, and that.
Speaker 1: It turned around and in very slow motions say share the load.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much, pretty much. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If it's anything like when my wife was pregnant, it involved the dad's going out to get two different kinds of takeout food in one night. Uh. So, you know, I'm sure they were running out to the local taco bell to pick up some some some helicos and you know, then they had to run by, I don't know whatever, a cheeky Nando's or whatever you guys call it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we yeah, gotta have that cheeky Nandos for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know what that is. I think I've said that before. Nando's here is like a Cuban restaurant.
Speaker 2: Well that's interesting. Yeah, okay, you know I'm listening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh it's good. Uh yeah, Doc Spotter, thank you very much for the question.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Next up, we got one from Horatio hex who says, did medieval physicians understand leprosy as the disease we know today or is it a general term for a lot of extreme skin diseases.
Speaker 2: So for the most part it just refers to straight up leprosy okay, because there's a lot of that about it.
Speaker 1: It's not like hell. For a long time, they referred to any like virulent disease that killed a number of people as plague. They were like plague struck up and You're like, you mean bubonic. It's like they're like, no.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe, yeah. There were some people who were non historians. They can't stress this enough, like I've had this positive to me where they're like, oh, well, could it have just been syphilis? And I'm like no, because we know from like the record like when syphil its appears and like absolutely not. But having said that, yeah, if you have an incredibly rare virulent skin disease, you're probably gonna get called a leper, right, you know, like because there there's only so many words to go around, you know. It's kind of like how now people aren't necessarily clear sometimes on whether you've got like eczema or yeah, what's the other.
Speaker 1: One, alopecia?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that's the one, you know, the one the skin you know what I mean, psoriasis? Yeah, that's the one. Yes. So it can be like confusing because it's just like I don't know, skin's being weird, like autoimmune issue, right, So it's difficult for non experts. So yeah, it's probably true that some people just got kind of like lumped in as leopards. Absolutely the case, but for the most part it does refer to leprosy, which is pretty endemic you know worldwide at the time, we had real problems with leprosy. It's wild you know.
Speaker 1: Let me let me ask a follow up question, do we know, like how did leprosy fit into the humor's system of the Galian the Galen system of understanding, Like how did that? How did that finish?
Speaker 2: I think that I think that it's I think with leprosy it's kind of meant to be cold and wet. I think it has something to do with black bile. Off the top of my head, So.
Speaker 1: That does sound like the worst one, so I can see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's what it's supposed to be. But on the other hand, they're always talking about how garrulous people are. Yeah, yeah, lepers, Yeah, lepers are, Like there's a whole moral philosophy of lepers being like having like brought the disease on themselves. It's kind of like the way that we would talk about like victims of HIV when it first came out, it's like, well, you shouldn't have been such a dirty slut. It's same thing, like it seemed kind of as vaguely STI like, and usually there's all these ideas that lepers kind of like are particularly quarrelsome and slutty and gluttness, which I think is just kind of like the Agel thing of like telling stories about people who are begging in order to get yourself out of like giving the money. Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: It seems. Yeah, that's that's wild even for even for like even for pre modern understanding of like medicine, like that's still like a bit much like they talk a lot like okay, God, like oh they're like how how were they fat? And now like their lepers and they're like thin, and you know, it's fine. I don't know why I'm I don't know why I'm trying this case in my head. Horatio X, thank you very much for the question. Next, I would whack five hundred moles says if you were a courtier, could you just quit, like say fuck all that jazz, I'm off to my estate in Schwine sarsh Schwine Sarsdorfurstorf, Yeah, which I'm sure was put in there to try and trip me up. I don't care. It's German. I speak English, my language. The language you hear me butcher all the time. It's base on you Germany, so watching it. I learned it from watching you Germany. Uh. Anyway, God, yeah.
Speaker 2: Good question. A sort of is the answer. I mean, technically, technically you need permission from the king to leave, right Uh. In practice, uh, probably if you just say, hey, can I go, he'll go. Yeah, Like, unless you are so indispensable at court that you like absolutely cannot be spared. So like, but there there are sometimes people like flouncing out in the middle of the night because like the king got mad at them, or they got mad at the king. And that's usually okay. When you see people kind of go back to the court, though it's usually less about the king calling them there, although certainly that happens, and kind of like more about fit people's families being like, you get back in there. How are we supposed to like social climb if you don't fucking like get in at court? Right, So, I.
Speaker 1: Don't care if that guy was making eyes at you, You get back in there and just stand there.
Speaker 2: So like the pressure tends to come more from like noble families themselves and less from the royal slant of things, like the whole royal things, and like the pressure to be at court as much more for like Louis the fourteenth thing, right, which is like very modern. So, I mean, most people aren't at court most of the time, but you know, certain huge landoverers will be obviously, and certainly you send your kids in order to try to like make good marriages and good negotiations and stuff like that. But like quite often if you have a larger estate and you're married in things, you're gonna be back there and then you send your kids in to do the wheeling and dealing and then you just kind of like come in once in a while. But yeah, you can, you absolutely can sort of quit, but you've got to make sure that you do it in a way that doesn't offend the king.
Speaker 1: That's all medieval quiet quitting.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a throwback to something that you know, it was like last year, so it might have well it might as well have happened in the sixties anyway, I would wake fi one hundred miles. Thank you very much for the question. Enjoy your estate in Schweinsharstorf anyway. Next up, I got one from Rolf who says the Galileo episode maybe look up the Catholic Church's stance on abortion, and Wikipedia says Pope sixties banned all abortions as homicide in fifteen eighty eight, but the bull was rescinded by his successor, Pope Gregory in fifteen ninety one, and they returned to the rule that abortion before forty days was not homicide, which lasted until eighteen sixty nine. What was up with that and why did Gregory step back from the madness?
Speaker 2: Well, Gregory was just like a real one, is the answer. So the answers that, like the majority of the medieval period, you're kind of like the first trimester is fine, Like forty days is like don't even worry about it, like you don't even you need to like not you need to chill out, like who is a wor ay even pregnant, you know, question mark. But it extends through the first trimester, which is all the stuff that is kind of like it's easier on the woman in question to have an abortion. Then right, it's going to be like less of a huge medical issue for you to do that, And the major ways that you do that is with abort efficiency, so you just like ingest a lot of Penny Royal and Tansy is the major way else.
Speaker 1: We can do it. I can't do it monotone enough. Yeah, I'm not making fun of him at all. I love love Nirvana, but yeah, actually to a real one for maybe the first time I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, right, to a real one, Thank you, Kurt. But like, yeah, so basically this is kind of the way that it is now. Pope Gregory walking this shit back probably has rather a lot to do with him being sensible and trying to align with the more traditional medieval view of things, because the reason that the medieval Church is pretty okay with abortion is they're like, otherwise there's going to be fucking infanticide. Yeah, And the medieval church is really clear that a fetus is not the same fucking thing as a baby, right, and they're like, and in fact, to side is really high like in basically through up through. It obviously gets a lot worse in the early modern period because it's like when you're forced at birth and it's like, yeah, well we'll just kill this baby now, I guess. And so it's really really sad. So you know, this is in keeping with the general thing of everything getting worse in the early modern period, because the early modern period is fucking worse and that just is the case. And so Gregory, I think, was just trying to be like, yo, I'm really not trying to have all these baby that's on my hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so one hundred percent like that. Like it's still though a stricture that is worse than the medieval standpoint, right, Like the forty days is still not particularly great. Like it's kind of difficult to even tell if you're pregnant within that space of time.
Speaker 1: So uh five and a half weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like that's nothing, right, Like, so yeah, it's kind of like one of those And yeah, and this is also important because you're like, oh, yeah, so that lasts until eighteen sixty nine and they're like no, no, no, the whole thing is bad, right, you know, and it's just like Jesus Christ. So this is an important thing to keep an eye on because it just kind of proves that things don't always get better. Sometimes they get much worse, right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and I also think this is an example of a point where this was not an issue that was so ideologically salient to the Church and to the greater population of Europe that that they had to worry about it or like come down on it because they because I mean, basically what they do with the with medieval abortions is that they create a legal fiction of the first trimester in order to alleviate a much worse and much frankly more society societally destabilizing problem, which is the deaths of you know, dozens hundreds of infants, you know, every few weeks, a few you know, a few months, and that's just like good God, your society would crumble, and you know, so, so they did that. But then as it became an ideological backbone of you know, the Christian population, the Church and the Protestant churches as well, they move in that direction and they gobble it up and it becomes a it becomes becomes a huge thing that everybody has to that that is now like a huge talking point instead of something where like, look, we don't really you know, they if you could be if you could administer true serum to the pope or what medieval pope. He'd be like, Look, we really don't like abortion at all, but you know this is necessary to prevent chaos, these stables, you know, like it just to prevent like a horror, like an even greater real, you know, manifest horror. Yeah, anyway, a great question, Ralph, Thank you so much. Next we got one from Loaf, who says, I'm fascinated by the idea of language comprehension in the Middle Ages. I've seen complex maps of languages or dialects spoken in continental European countries like France and Spain, and I'm given to understanding. I'm given to understand that for a long period, the English ruling class spoke a different language from the people they ruled. And China little has U has official languages because of how many languages were spoken in the empire. This makes me wonder how communication worked across the kingdoms. Did most kingdoms such empires have a state language? Are the various regional languages similar enough that people got by or was it common for people to have at least some level of understanding of multiple languages to get along with their neighbors.
Speaker 2: Latin, that's the answer Latin.
Speaker 1: And if you're in Western Europe, French French. Actually, actually in a lot of Europe, but especially Western Europe, French.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, like French is what you speak at court a lot of the time. So like when the English you know, when when the English aristocracy doesn't speak English, they're speaking French. Oftentimes a lot of people speak French. So it's very common for people from the German Lens to speak French as well. But as a general rule of thumb, like laws are promulgated in Latin, and courts will communicate to each other in Latin. If anything is written down, it's done in Latin. And as a result, everyone's got really fucking good Latin if they're literate, and so it's super super common if you get engaged, if you are English and you marry someone from Spain, you will speak Latin to each other until you know you one or the other, like learn the language. Yeah, so that's the this is sorted out through Latin because hu that's just how it works. And you could show up in any place in medieval Europe and be like, hey, what's up, I got Latin and everyone will be like, oh, yeah, word, that's fine. Right, So there is it's one of the real shames of us, like losing Latin as something where because this was a language that was like nobody's and so therefore it was everybody's. It was just an official language, and it was everybody's official language. And that's how it worked. I mean, like other than obviously Constantinople, where they're doing everything in Greek and that's very nice for them. But basically, when in doubt, you just switched to Latin and that would be fine. And this ends up being important to because like certain things like you know, you're probably mutually intelligible in I don't know, Milan in Florence, but you are certainly fucking not mutually intelligble if you are in Milan and Naples, right, Like that is not like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you look up a linguistic map of Italy in the Middle Ages, it is frankly insane. And they are so they are so divergent that that some linguists have have have considered classifying them as like separate like languages like they like they just and those and like in certain places it gets homogenized a little earlier, like in France because it's such like a the language is so pervai all over that area, it does, and like Spanish becomes its own thing. But like in Italy because there's no unification, because they're so like and there's this like tension and even hatred between just like cities next door to each other. It's like, you know, I think even like the dialects the Southern Italians and Northern Italians speak today are kind of different. They're not different different, but they're kind of like they have they have different they have differences in how they're done, and it's like it took forever for like that stuff to homogenize into like a language that.
Speaker 2: They could contact because fake it's not.
Speaker 1: Unified Italy is fake, just like unified Germany. Get that ship out, nobody can go back to speaking you know, I don't know whatever the six hundred versions of Germany, I don't know, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just kind of like answering the last part of this question. Though it is super common for people to speak like five things, it is like completely normal, I mean much in the way that many Europeans do speak like five things now similar at the time. It's kind of like, you know, much is made of it. Happening when people are royals, because they're like, wow, this royal isn't a shithead. But like, you know, merchants speak multiple things all the goddamn time, Like people who travel a lot speak multiple goddamn things, and so yeah, it's not that it's not that confusing, but it's likely that you're gonna be mutually intelligible to neighbors. But you know, famously there are outliers, so that like my good friends, the checks where like fuck you.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not speak why fuck.
Speaker 2: You get out of here.
Speaker 1: That's why I like pronouncing jas as.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, liv thank you very much for the question. Next, we have one from may Day who says, what do you think the Holy Roman Empire would have been like if it had a sustained period of Italian domination? I also have opinions, eleanor thoughts.
Speaker 2: Depends on the Italians, doesn't it, Yes.
Speaker 1: You know, like what are we taught? Like okay, let's okay, let's just do the parameters here. Let's say they have full They have full control for at least I don't know, fifty years over basically all of Italy except the papal states. But I mean they would still have more leverage over them at that point because of you know, total land domination around them. So like, I I don't think it would end well for them because.
Speaker 2: I think it would have been more garrulous. Let's just say that. I think that we would see. I think that they're would be more infighting because the Italians love to infight, so like the Germans are fairly alright at well, like keeping a little bit more tighter lid on things, like there's a lot less going to war with each other.
Speaker 1: And especially as the HR goes on, they really buy into the whole like, okay, we are going to like do our uh, we're gonna do our differences through the through the emperor, through you know, through our legislative bodies and things like that. But obviously they still fought and everything like that. But it was oh yeah different and it's way different than how it was in Italy, where like you know, we talk about vendettas now and you're like that can't be a real thing. Like it wasn't families killing families. It was absolutely families killing absolutely, yeah, five hundred year old slights or murders or two kids from families eloping, like it's just like I'm I'm not. It's it's not that there's anything wrong with Italians, but like all of those states are set up to hate each other. They they didn't like each other for the longest time. There was not a unifying force in a lot of ways because of the geography of Italy, because of the Appennines running up the spine of it and cutting off parts of it in the land in the south being so different from the land in the north. But like, I don't know, I think I think, I honestly think it might could have destabilized the HRE far earlier because when they're when part of the hr went to war with itself, it would usually go through like it would usually have some like serious issues that it had to work out, and it would destabilize the you know, the emperors, and I mean the Thirty Years War is the perfect culmination of that. It's just, you know, it completely destabilizes the emperor, the position of emperor permanently, and stuff like that had happened before, and it was just you know, if you got Italy and they fight, you know what do you.
Speaker 2: They love to fight, and like it's a problem for Holy Roman emperors in the first instance, I think that possibly if there was like more Italian rule you would see like earlier fracturing, that that could be quite possible, because because it's one thing for like the Lombards to say, okay, fine, like we're in this like nebulous, holy Roman emperor, that's okay. But if you tell the Milanese that the Florentines rule them, all hell is going to break loose, like baby, they are not going to take that well at all. And so it's just kind of like there are such deep seated issues between the city states that if you, I think, if you put one of them in control, like I mean, God forbid, what if like the Venetians get control, like all hell will break?
Speaker 1: Everybody hates this, Yeah, the Genuines almost everyone hates them the floor the Florentines like like some of these like everyone some of the some of these city states were so looked down upon that like they didn't even they weren't even considered like the same like species almost like they like they were like the wild they think about like if you've ever read Dante or if you're a Patroon and you listen to our Inferno series, they just think about like he's talking about like a guy from like Pisa as some sort of like uh subverbal sub mental like freak they keep in a basement, and it's like these towns are fifty miles apart, like you like you're all descended from the same like weird mix up of like uh Byzantine Greeks, uh Islamic nations, Normans and you know Native Latins. Like I don't know, how, how how are you so much better than someone from another city state that may or may not be doing better at that very moment, I.
Speaker 2: Mean like quite so. And it's like at times when we see like you know, Italians tried to say, hey, we should really be in charge, it's usually the Romans. It was like Petrarch writing to Charles the fourth and being like, hey, I really think like Rome should be in charge. And it's like, aren't you guys in a civil war right now? Like didn't you just like have a fake like heptarchy And then like you know, like they're like, sorry, the triarchy not heptarchy, like you know, so those kind of overtures don't make a whole lot of sense when you also consider the history of Rome and like how it's like basically like the Orsinis, like trying to throttle like everybody. I's so, you know, there's so much noble infighting that I just think it would be well, it would be interesting. Oh yeah, But I just think that those hoes don't like each other, so I don't think that they should be in control of an empire. That's all I mean, like a granted death to all empires, you know, munda sen as cesarebus is all I have to say about it.
Speaker 1: But you know, yeah, yeah, empire's Delinda s yeah, uh may Day, Thank you for the question. Next, we got one from fruked Base, who says I was reading about the American pastor who got his flock to invest in crypto and was wondering, what's your favorite medieval scam and we're their infamous medieval scammers.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. I mean I think all of my medieval scams favorites are just kind of like how there's like seven heads of John the Baptist, That's what I like. That's like my favor.
Speaker 1: I'm a huge fan of the Vikings using narwal tusks as unicorn horns and and and grinding them up into dusk and selling it his unicorn dust and people on the mainland eight that shit up. That's a good scam.
Speaker 2: I've got a good early modern scam though, that I want to shout out, which is that so the Enlightenment as well, right, But in the seventeenth century in the German Lands, like talking about ghosts for the most part is kind of like outlawed because the Protestants are trying like there is this like no ghost thing, but there's this prevalent belief that ghosts can lead you to treasure, and you can apply for a treasure hunting license to go dig things up. And it's the German Lands, so obviously you have to apply for a treasure hunting license. But if you go in and you say, oh, I'm doing this because ghosts told me where to dig, They're not going to give it to you because you're not allowed. But people were going around being like, oh, I'm a medium and I'm in contact with a ghost and like he'll tell you where, He'll tell you where to dig for treasure if you give me money. And I think that's a really good scam. I think that.
Speaker 1: Is that's as good as hell scam. I'm going to keep it short and sweet, But I'm going to let my Reddit atheist flag fly and say, the biggest medieval scam, that's right, folks, was fucking indulgences. Was it worth it? Was it worth it to blow the whole thing up so you could build an ugly building and go into debt to the fuggers? Was it? Did we win?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is an American Protestant pastor getting his flock to invest in crypto directly downstream of the Catholic Church selling indulgences? Yes it is anyway.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sorry, but they would also they would also tell you that it was different somehow, which is bonkers.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, no, I'm sorry. Like, yeah, I'm fine. I'm fine with us trashing the Protestants as most as much as possible. But like if if your issue is is Christian churches being too money, I got bad news about you for where that started because it was it wasn't in America in seventeen eighty or whatever, I'll.
Speaker 2: Tell you at the very late medieval church really is is a fuck kill them all, kill them all fourteen sixty eight. You know this, many dead Catholics, et cetera. You know you know how I feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, all right, we got a couple more. First of one from Evelyn. I've been reading Kropotkin's Mutual Aid A Factor of Evolution, and he has a lot of positive things to say about the medieval European city. He seems to think it was a major side of cooperation and mutual aid that managed to carve out a surprising degree of freedom and prosperity for its members from the men from the manorial morass of the countryside. I'd be curious to know what you think of his claims. I don't know if you've read it, but if you'd like, I can try to summarize these claims for ease of analysis. I don't want to drown y'all in even more work. So eleanor what do you think about about the claims about the medieval city?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, so in the first place, shout out kr Popkin. I fucking love her Popkin.
Speaker 1: Conquest of bread, motherfucker. Every time I eat a piece of bread, I'm like, damn, he was right about this.
Speaker 2: My dad in the nineties made a little bumper sticker, you know, when people were doing the Darwin fish or he made one that was like her popkin and it was all spelled out. There was like a K and an R and an O n ap and they were all different little fish. And I thought that and anyway, that that explains a lot about me. So yeah, no, I think that he's He's largely right, and that I think probably this. Oh things are just like coming together in my head and I'm like, oh, and it's like, maybe this explains how I ended up being a medieval historian who specialized in the cities. Is like early exposure to kerpopkin. It's like Eleanor figures out herself live on the like call the therapist. But anyway, yeah, I do think that that it is true. And one of the big things that they're able to do in cities together is kind of like advocate for more autonomy. They're able to kind of like club together. Obviously, they are downsides to the medieval city, you know, like turf wars and noble families and blah blah blah. But certainly it's true that you have like a lot of mutual aid groups, like having a dense snare network of parishes allows you to take more direct control over poverty in your areas. They are big sites of places also where the wealthy like to invest because they like to be seen to be investing, So you have like a lot of work there. You know, you can definitely say that there are there are always kind of programs going on, both at a civic level and also at a religious level that aim to alleviate poverty. And I think that it's it's absolutely true. And I do think that it is specifically because you know, people have more freedom in cities, so you you muddle together, and you know that that's how you become a free person is by living in a city, whereas when you're unfree and in the countryside, these things are available to you. So I think that he's really onto something. I think he was cooking. And in this house, we love for Hopkins, So.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I think, why the fuck did my printers? If if, if, if my printer noise shows up on this, I'm sorry, I have no idea where the fuck it just turned on.
Speaker 2: A printer? Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh oh wow?
Speaker 2: So are you the friend who has a printer?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, the friend who has a printer? The thirty dollars bad boy from Target. Everybody loves that. Whoa yeah, uh you can tell it's a great printer because it keeps fucking turning on randomly anyway. Yeah, Uh no, I think I think the medieval cities get a little bit of a bad rap in some of this, just because you know, like they weren't you know, they weren't plowing the fields and stuff, whereas most of the people outside, almost all the people outside the cities were. And it's like, yes, that is true. They did they they did have to, you know, be fed by these things from usually outside the city or something like that. But you know, people outside the cities also took in the goods that they made that were necessary for uh, you know, keeping things going. And you know, I think, uh, I think, I think there's a lot to be said uh for the medieval city, the medieval way of life in general. They both I think the city and country life both have uh far more communal aspects than we have. And you know, good for them, uh, because that's cool, absolutely, Evelyn, thank you very much for the question. Last one we got is from K. R. Wilson, who says, question, given the pods general presumption that monarchs are bad, who would you say are some of the least worst and before we go on eleanor I would like to ask, like, if you're thinking about like, you know, not as a moral judgment, but just like what makes a good ruler, Like if you're going to call one of them, you know, good or at least not you know, just abysmal dog shit? What what are the qualities that you're looking for?
Speaker 2: I mean, you are you? You already know who I'm going to say, I do, And it's it's because I want to I want to see fucking charity work, right, like, like point blank, I want to see you interacting with your kingdom and actively seeking to ameliorate the problems of normal people. And now, granted we don't always agree on what the problems of moral people are. A lot of the time they're like, yeah, these guys need a monastery, and I'm like, I don't.
Speaker 1: Maybe not another one, maybe not another.
Speaker 2: But on the other hand, like you know, monasteries are very important as repositories of information, and you know, like the French Crown's massive endowments to Clooney are part of the reason we have really good documents now, so I still do think that's good, but I want to see donations to charity. I want to see and trying to keep war down. I really want to see people like attempting to stay the fuck out of war. I want to see building projects that benefit regular people. Are you building bridges? Are you maintaining the roads? Do you maintain watches on the roads. That's a really big one. And also I want to know if you go fuck bad members of the nobility up, like if people are mistreating their their small folk, do you get involved or do you let it slide? And you know, my boy Charles the Fourth has all this shit off. You know, he's got it on Lock Lukee, right. So yeah, that's why that's why I like him is because you know, obviously like abolish abolish all Emperor's slash kings obviously, but if you're gonna do it, you could at least just be dumping a lot of money into your community, is all I'm saying. I want to see you establish a hospital, yeah, you know, I want I want to see you do things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think that, uh for me, I think that like being a you know, like there there are some who I think, like Ohias, timmyjen Gingis Khan Uh an example, committed atrocities so many atrocities, sexual violence of probably it or I'm sorry, definitely not as bad as it you know, has been blown up in the past. But there like just just crazy stuff. But like for his people and what he did and everything like that, like he too, like the Mongolian people, he is just like the perfect ruler. He's got this huge lantern. They set up these like administrative things. They finally like clear a path through like central e the Central Corridor of Asia, like to you know, it's not just a bunch of feuding tribes anymore for the first time and I mean maybe ever, but a long time, and you know, it's just you know, you get stuff like that. So and I mean I think that you know, there are people who do like a lot for their realm, who you know, who do things like you know, they stabilize stuff, like you know, Charlemagne being you know, another example of a guy who is just like he does a lot. I mean, I of course don't agree with a lot of it, and I think some of it is you know, stupid, and his sons were all morons, but like you know, for what he did, what he did during his life, you know, building up literacy and education, programs and stuff like that, is like those things are good. So I mean I think it really just depends on stuff like that. So I mean I would but like, yeah, like most of these people aren't doing a lot of that stuff. They might do some of it here and there, and it might be balanced out, you know with like all right, I mean it is going to be balanced out with like the horrors that they did, because you know, Charles the fourth to gingis Khan to you know, whoever the worst medieval ruler possibly is. They're all, you know, that whole thing's going to be built on a mountain of skulls to some degree. So you know, it's like it encompasses, you know, horrors beyond our imagination. But you know there are a lot of them who are you know, very good competent. We talked to just any of the first just forty years of rule, just stabilize the whole thing. He and Belisarius and Theodora, and you know, they just they kind of set the they set the Byzantines up for for a long time. And you know, Basil the second, just the quintessential one of the quintidential medieval rulers did so much I mean, he fucking massacred the Bulgars, like killing women and children and stuff like that. But like for Constantinople, he did like, you know, incredible things. So I think you just kind of got to kind of balance that, and in the end, I just go with the ones that I think are the most interesting and be like, yeah, they're morally reprehensible, but I think they're neat. Yeah what if we just thought they were cool? You know? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And it's like even when you have so I mean, like this is a count, it's not a king. But even when you have people like Charles Lebon, who it's like, oh, on the one hand, you know, he's Count of Flanders. You know, he's a candidate for Holy Roman Emperor and he's like, no, I don't I don't want that, and like, you know, there's a big famine that strikes Flanders, and so he like plants a bunch of like legumes on his own land, get gets gives them out to the poor, like taxes the rich more and says like we can't let poor people die of starvation, like distributes like bread to the poor, blah blah blah. Like that's all great, right, So like attempts to specifically stop his people dying of starvation. We love it. He's also a massive fucking anti Semite who expelled all of the Jewish people from his land. So it's like, you know, it's really wild how like people can be so good on one hand and so bad on the other, and like, yeah, it's you know, they're a really different bunch of people. We're gonna say that, and so you have to just you just have to kind of be critical.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you just I mean, like the least worse the subjective, both from your own personal opinion and like what viewpoint you're talking about, Like the one who did the least damage overall is going to be the one who ruled for the least amount of time. So whoever was there for exactly one second and die after their coronation, Like you know, like I mean that that, like if you're looking at it from just a moral bent, like that is just the truth. Because like these systems, as bad as things are right now, these systems were like even more oppressive to more people, you know, and just yeah, it's you know, or you can't be good. I'm talking about the overall system. Like there are the medieval life that that are appealing in some ways, but like, yeah, it, you know, you just you just got to kind of keep pick the ones you think are neat and then be like, yeah, they did some bad stuff. I don't know what to tell you. I'm not uh you know, I'm not. I'm not here to count up to like do do you know the victims of communism? Body count on? Uh on all these guys. It's like, yeah, they did some evil stuff. Let's see, let's see what else they did, you know exactly? You know Timure, uh he had he had a mountain of skulls. But you know what, like was it a nice mountain? I don't know, we don't know. Oh, everybody's like, oh the mountainous schools is so bad?
Speaker 2: Is it? O?
Speaker 1: Man have hobbies they hate, how easily that they hate, How how little it takes for us to have I'm sorry, No, Yeah, you just got to pick the ones that you think are kind of cool. Charles the Fourth is a really great example because he did a lot of good stuff and they're they're definitely there are definitely more than that. But yeah, kr, thank you very much for the question. Thank you to all our patrons, who submitted these. Uh. Probably next week we're gonna do another mail bag just to keep catching up a little bit. Another mailbag episode. Uh, and then yeah, we've got some other stuff in the pipeline and also, uh, we'll have a bonus episode. I don't know if I'm well, it's probably probably not released today on Thursday, so probably coming out tomorrow. Two episodes and.
Speaker 2: We are welcome.
Speaker 1: You're welcome everyone, Yeah, thank you all for listening. Or I'm sorry ellenor what's going on with you?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, fucking damn. I don't know anymore. Gee. Uh. Yeah, you can check out me on socials at Going Medieval. You can always pick up my book The Once in Future Sex if you haven't yet. I recorded a podcast called Monster Talk last week, but I don't know when it's out, but it'll be you know, I was talking about monsters because you know, I like to do that shit. Not sure when it's out, but if you listen to them, check it out. Yeah. That's that's basically what's going down at the minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can find me at the usual place. Luke is amazing. Uh, trying to cross post more on both sites. I don't know whatever.
Speaker 2: Look on the one hand, you can yelled at by Nazis, but on the other hand you can get yelled at by the most humorless liberals in the entire world.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, yep, actual Nazis versus social Nazis. Pick your poison. Ah yeah, you can find me. Luca's amazing at the places and you can find me. I'll show people's history of the Republic if you want to hear me yap about Star Wars. Anyway, thank you all very much for listening. We'll see you next time. Bye. All right, you want to take like