Speaker 1: Number forty four, Brady, one more time.
Speaker 2: I'll look back on all things nineties and two thousands, the movies.
Speaker 3: That is so fetch, Gretchen, stop trying to make fetch happen.
Speaker 2: It's not going to happen. The awkwardness.
Speaker 3: Here's your host, Brady Broski.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Welcome, Welcome. Do you not remember that? No?
Speaker 3: You remember the song was good, good, good good O. We're gonna have to talk about that. That's part of this whole episode.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: It's a very important point in what I'm trying to make here.
Speaker 2: What if this flips my whole opinion? It might?
Speaker 1: It really might?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: This is it, man.
Speaker 3: The most nostalgialistic podcast on the planets is I don't know about other planets.
Speaker 1: We'll have to find out when we go to space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mars has a couple really really good ones.
Speaker 1: They are really nostalgic.
Speaker 2: Yeahistic Martians are big into nostalgia.
Speaker 1: This is Brady one more time.
Speaker 3: Excuse me, I am Brady Broski and with me the Kickball King what up? And a guy who's I figured out what your superpower is? Your superpower is that you can turn any text message into an emoji.
Speaker 2: Oh, in my reactions that the reaction now supports.
Speaker 3: Yes, finally, yeah, because because there's seventeen people in the group text and you're the one that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, you do you figure out a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like you work in.
Speaker 1: A coconut, like a random like egg plant, and it makes sense.
Speaker 3: An orange square, perhaps an orange square or a building with uh maybe a school with the left and right arrows. If you haven't seen the SNL character that skit, then then you need to because that's one of the funniest songs there.
Speaker 2: It is Darling Dan Ginsburg, What up going to be back?
Speaker 3: I know we took a little hiatus, but we're gonna have a fun topic today. And this one came to me just scrolling, scroll and scrolling, and it caught my eye because I heard, uh, these four words was the first four words of this this reel that I saw, and.
Speaker 1: I was like, this is perfect for the podcast.
Speaker 3: And the title is is Nirvana over rated?
Speaker 2: Overrated? One word or two words? It's one day, It's not even just overrated.
Speaker 3: Also, your other superpower grammarcuation.
Speaker 2: I do help with a few things on this podcast, grammar being one of those. Yeah, butfore we get into that. Yeah, A brief recap of some feedback about your cover song choices. Okay, interesting that I Will Always Love You was not chosen, right, but I'm every woman, was I remember? Well, yes, that was my unpopular opinion. Remember, yeah, yeah, that's right, but I was still anticipating it might come later and it didn't. Also, nothing compares to you snat O'Connor.
Speaker 1: Oh, because it's a cover of prints.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but no, that doesn't count because I don't think eighty five?
Speaker 1: But was it a single?
Speaker 2: Was it even like a Oh? I don't think. Was that the criteria?
Speaker 3: I think so kind of because like, yeah, okay, you can cover, you can cover so that nobody ever heard of?
Speaker 1: Is cover correct technically? But I don't know. I don't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the point was I wanted to pick some really random ones.
Speaker 2: That's fair. Well, you definitely succeeded at that. Theother one that was yeah, was killing me softly Fuji's Oh yeah.
Speaker 3: So good, ROBERTA Flag, Well, we'll do it again. There's plenty to choose for you. The nineties just had just no one was original.
Speaker 1: In the nineties.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so today today's episode is is Nirvana overrated? One of the most iconic bands, probably the most known band to come from the nineties.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's more than an ace of bass, a bass as a group to me, I think, I I think, I but I do love Ace of Bass. What a band? I mean Green Day. See.
Speaker 3: Now Here's this is where the debate starts, right, because when I think of Nirvana, the first thing I think of is their overall contribution to the sound of music, not the not the musical sound of music, but how the nineties shifted.
Speaker 1: I would agree, completely shifted.
Speaker 3: But first question for you, which like your first Nirvana memory?
Speaker 1: What do you remember about hearing the band, knowing any of the music?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I remember. I've talked about my my boom box that I used to bring to roller hockey, I think on this show before, but familiar that was one of the CDs in middle school that I would play in my boombox that was powered by like eight D batteries never mind.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, okay, yep.
Speaker 2: While we uh while we roller to come to come as you are to lithium like what yeah, okay, yeah.
Speaker 3: So you remember you remember them from that that early age of being in the background with your friends.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that. I mean, I can remember that I played the CD so many times. I remember the controversial album cover with the naked baby on it, but I you know, I remember just playing those CDs to death, and I mean probably my most iconic memory, which is really hilarious looking back, as a Jewish kid who was getting bar mitzvah and going to a lot of bar and bought mitzvahs. My my seventh grade year, like the social scene was like every other weekend someone else was throwing a bar about mitzvah party and we were like forming mosh pits and jumping around to Nirvana among other you know, alternative rock acts at the time. To our parents like horror, like what the hell are these middle school kids doing?
Speaker 3: But that was just the culture. It was popular music. Yeah, it really was. My first memory is the video. Okay, the video.
Speaker 1: It was grainy, it was dark, it was emo, it was all.
Speaker 3: Things that music videos were not at the time, for smells like teen spirit.
Speaker 2: You do you recall I didn't get cable and obviously that was where we watched videos in this is the only times I got to see music videos were when I was at my friend's houses. So I didn't know video as well in that day.
Speaker 3: Okay, the video was one that MTV put in like superpower that makes it was just because I mean, MTV was like the cool way to discover music and there was nothing cooler at the time, the Nirvana. But I just remember seeing it and being like, oh shit, like this is like this is things are things are getting things are getting dark, things are getting weird, right, Yeah, But also I'm like I'm kind of digging it, and like you people at school were also like starting to be into it, right, And then you hear it smells like teen Spirit on the radio, which we didn't have. We didn't have a rock station or an alternative station at that point. Yeah, so to hear it on pop radio was a little strange, right. I think it came I think it came up on a couple of the countdown shows I would listen to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But back to the video.
Speaker 3: Forever MTV would do, you know, they would do like specialty countdowns, like the top fifty videos of all time, and for years and years and years it was it was thriller. Nothing would top thriller. And I want to say, at one point, smells like teen Spirit took the number one spot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe number two, it was right there. Maybe it was.
Speaker 3: I just remember being like, wow, this is really and it was early on yeah, with the video, so that's kind of like the video was really my first memory of Nirvana. Smells like teen Spirit obviously being their their first big hit. Yeah, but then I kind of got into them and then Come As You Are as a follow up and that became like my favorite Nirvana song.
Speaker 2: So so yeah, So we had an all rock station all I grew I believe. So I grew up in the Detroit area. I was in an arbor, but Detroit was our radio market and eighty nine X I believe was the alternative station back then. But all the alt stations had an exenym. Yeah, but I didn't listen to a you know, alternative music. When on an alternative station, I listened to pop. And then along came you know, Nirvana was at the forefront of alternative music, kind of taking over pop for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it crossed over yeah. Yeah, And of course it was the beginning of grunge. They're the really the the father of grunges. Nirvana and then Lo and Behold. Then we get all these other bands, we get the sound gardens, the Alison chains As Stone Temple Pilots.
Speaker 2: They led a movement. They did in terms of I mean maybe not in terms of creating the sound. Definitely not in terms of creating the sound, but in terms of popularizing it and just making it icon.
Speaker 3: Right, it puts Seattle on the map. Yeah, like all these all these artists were coming out of Seattle.
Speaker 2: And it's funny that you mentioned the music video dethroning or competing with Michael Jackson, because my the first note I had in my arguments for why they are not overrated is that never Mind knocked Mjay's Dangerous off of number one on the on the Billboard out on the album chart. Yeah, that was a huge aff for Sirvana to take, to overtake Michael Jackson, to completely pull her opposite artists.
Speaker 3: And the other big important thing about Nirvana is as this grunge thing is beginning and they're kind of leading the way with it. It really a lot of like music theorists say it put a dagger into the hair metal, hair like hair rock era because that was coming out, that was coming to a close right at that time. It's kind of it was kind of a sign of the times. Too, because the eighties were you know, all about uh, you know, excess and we're going to do all these crazy things. We're partying, wild girls, big hair, all the fun. And then here come the nineties and it's a little the angstier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, more chill, anxious.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I don't care. I don't care.
Speaker 3: That's exactly That's exactly what Nirvana and Kirk Cobain is when you look at the band.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I mean it's interesting that, you know, Kurt Cobain said he couldn't A quote from him was that he couldn't even pass guitar one on one like he was. You know, if you want to get into the arguments for them being overrated, but one you'll hear a lot is in terms of you know, musical composition stuff like that. You know, they didn't have the the formula.
Speaker 1: Or the it wasn't traditional, right, it was so unique.
Speaker 3: The biggest argument I can I could make if I chose overrated was their actual production, their music production. They've only put out three studio albums, that's right. Three, That's not a lot, and they're regarded it as one of the great and the first ballot rock and Roll Hall of Famers.
Speaker 1: That's I think that's probably unheard of if.
Speaker 2: You go down the list in terms of longevity's such a big factor in making the Hall of Fame. Yeah, and they didn't have it. I mean they had They were basically three big for three years before Cobaine took his life, and you know, obviously they endured beyond that, and a lot of their singles that were big during those three years became iconic for years to come. But any other artist that you put on a list of like all timers, has way more than three years when they are releasing hit singles.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were three big in the in the biggest time frame, then they could be big right talking about his death. And that's another argument for why they are overrated because a lot of a lot of people, a lot of critics say they're only big because they're immortalizing this guy, similar to like you know the twenty seven Club, right, these people that pass away and then they become even bigger than they were when they were alive.
Speaker 1: Right, But I would argue they push back on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I too, I've heard, Yeah, you hear that argument for sure. I don't like that. I mean, it's the same it's no different than you know, when when Michael Jackson died, he gets a huge massive boosts and sales. When it's not as if Nirvana didn't have you know, pop culture success or notoriety until Kobain's staff like they were, they were huge before that. Of course there was more attention drawn to them when that happened, but it's not that's an't you know, that didn't create their success. It did not know.
Speaker 3: Another argument you can make for being overrated is the lyrical incoherence for some.
Speaker 2: Of the music. That one, that one's fair, it smells.
Speaker 3: Like teen Spirit, which what I played at the top was weird Al's cover like Nirvana.
Speaker 2: Sense of course it was.
Speaker 3: And the whole stick of that song is he's just making fun of them. Nobody understands what you're saying. But I will argue that is a case to be made that you are underrated. When weird aut So is spoofing on a song. You know, it's a big pop culture song. He doesn't pick like, you know, a song that charted, you know, under the top thirty. It's big hits that everybody knows. So I said, that's a compliment, right, Definitely, I mean I would.
Speaker 2: Also say there's a lot of there's plenty of other alt rock metal bands that you can't really tell what they're saying. I mean, Stone Temple Pilots have plenty of songs where a Pearl Jam, I mean Pearl Jam more than Stone Temple Pilest. Yeah, Eddie Vetter, I could.
Speaker 3: It took me a while to like really appreciate Pearl Jam until I went to a live show.
Speaker 1: Actually it was the first time I.
Speaker 3: Was like, oh, I get it, because there's a bunch of Pearl Jam songs that I love, absolutely love and always have, but there's a bunch that I'm just like, I don't get this, guys. But but yeah, So back to his passing. Do you remember where you were when you found out?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't. I mean I remember like the aftermath of it, but I don't have a vivid memory. Yeah, I mean I was again, this is where our couple.
Speaker 3: Of years, it was what it was a ninety four either ninety four to ninety five. But I do know where I was. I was upstairs in my bedroom watching MTV and on coming news. It's Kurt Loder with an MTV breaking news and I was just like what like it was like the first time like an artist had tragically died, right, Yeah, it wasn't like yeah, and he was he was really hitting his prime at that point. So it's weird that I remember like exactly exactly where it wasn't then, I don't know, maybe like a month or so later, even a couple of weeks later. That's when you start to see at school, you start to see the merch come out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you start to see the T shirt.
Speaker 2: Well, I was just say, I mean, I can remember being at school like probably the day after it happened and everyone talking about it. Yeah, it was a big trying to get rushed to the record store to get his album, get their albums. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The top moments of Nirvana's career according to Rolling Stone, I'll just give you the top two because these are my two favorites. There's an SNL moment, the one and only time they performed on SNL. Yeah, they were trying to basically criticize people that had that were it was like a like a homophobic, anti homophobic statement. So the three of them on stage at the time ahead of their time at the three of them at the end of the show made out, they were never invited back and never.
Speaker 2: Knew that and I just completely forgot it. Wow.
Speaker 1: And then there was the Unplugged album.
Speaker 3: MTV Unplugged album one of the one of the best live albums of the decade ever.
Speaker 2: Right, it's so good, probably the I mean, could you I would even compare with for MTV Unplugged best. I put that one up there. I'd put Mariah's up there, gonna say Mariah was the only one that came to mind.
Speaker 3: And Air I would say Air clapt into. Okay, that's a good pick. But Nirvana's was the head and shoulders above all. Yeah, and they have the man who sold the world from that on Plugged as a Neil Young cover.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that sounds right. But that I mean that, and that was a massive hit on it, you know, I want to say, was that a hit? I think that was a hit after Cobain's death. That might have been the first post posthumous single.
Speaker 3: That sounds about right to say that. Back to the to the merch funny story. I'm in Orlando on vacation with one of our friends who names rhymes with gidget.
Speaker 1: Uh, and this is young.
Speaker 3: Let it be this young, like eleven year old kid gets in the elevator wearing an Anirvani shirt and she's definitely on the overrated side of this argument, and.
Speaker 1: She's like, Nirvana's overrated, and I was like.
Speaker 2: Wait, and she's wearing a Nirvana shirt.
Speaker 1: No, the kid was right right.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, the boy our friend is the one who's yelling at the kid that got it a very loud, boisterous great great uh grill, great thriller.
Speaker 3: Great griller though, great thriller. And then so it was a very awkward ride down the elevator. But it didn't stop at that comment. Now she proceeds to brate this kid and ask him how many Nirvana songs he knows, which he did.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, well he was an actual fan, because sometimes you just wear it for the fashion, right, you know, it could be like a retro there's people. I I'm wearingly impressed by this kid that he was actually like a legit fan.
Speaker 3: He came at gidget, but you see it, but you still see it today. So that's my point. Yeah, you see young young people kind of like when we grew up, you know, we knew like the Door, Yeah, we knew classic rock, we knew these bands. They were kind of cool and I feel like they still have that cool factor. Back to the grunge artists real quick, Yes, other than Nirvana. Would you say you had a favorite? Oh man, Uh, there's not many to choose from.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, like what? Yeah? Who falls into that?
Speaker 1: Would say? I would put Okay, I would put how about out of these?
Speaker 3: I would say Alison Chains, Pearl Jam, Sound Garden, Stone Tell Pilots, I.
Speaker 2: Would I would definitely go Pearl Jam of the Jose. Yeah, just I feel like they have more iconic memorable songs from that age and that like lasted.
Speaker 3: Through now and they said they're still doing it to Yeah, they're still crushing it. Yeah, you want to get a Stone type of Pilot's huge too, though.
Speaker 1: You want to guess mine.
Speaker 3: If you guess it correctly, I will play my favorite Barney Stintson legendary.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, there's so many of those to choose. Yeah? Is it Alison Chains? No? Is it? Pearl Jam?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Is it? Is it one of the ones you just met? Yeah? What was the fourth? There's Sound Garden and sound Guard, No well Stone, Double Pilots, what's gonna be legend? Wait? Wait for it?
Speaker 3: And I hope you're not lockedows and taller because the second half of that word is dairy.
Speaker 2: Nice STP big STP guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah from from the Jump though, Like I love their first album when it came, when it came out and whatever, ninety four ninety.
Speaker 2: Three, that does a great album them.
Speaker 3: Another guy that you know left us too soon, Scott Wiland. Yeah, although everybody kind of like thought it was going to happen because he was like in rough shape.
Speaker 2: His last Yeah with theris my recollection of Cobain as it really caught everyone off guard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally totally, and then there was all the controversy and rumors and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: Can you imagine if that happened today, the amount of conspiracies and rumors about what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it would be ever y.
Speaker 2: So, I mean, the one other thing that has to be pointed out in the overrated arguments and I have a feeling we're both gonna come down on the other side ultimately here, But I think the Pixies have to be mentioned because they they and I wasn't like a huge I didn't really, they weren't as mainstream. I didn't listen to them as much, but they're they definitely a lot of like the the grungy like loud but quiet vibe like they they kind of were at the forefront of that before Nirvana was, and then Nirvana kind of made it big with that sound. So I think you'll you'll hear that a lot as Like on the overrated side of the argument is that they're sort of credited for creating that sound, whereas the Pixies are probably more responsible for that, and then Nirvana came along and sort of blew it up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Okay, I could see. I could kind of see that, but yeah, I'm not buying it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's uh, that's my arguments for overrated. I mean, I don't think it's a surprise at this point that I would argue they are not at all overrated. So you're saying you're saying they're underrated, I wouldn't say they're I think I would say that they are properly rated.
Speaker 1: That's a great answer.
Speaker 2: I think they are given the right amount of respect and legacy that they should be given for what was a small period of time, but a period of time that was so influential so many people and so long lasting for how short their actual you know career was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to agree. Okay, I'm going to say perfectly rated.
Speaker 2: All right, there we go.
Speaker 1: We agreed.
Speaker 3: I like that about that between just the change in genre. We didn't know what grunge was really to the mainstream. They're a first ballot Rock and Roll Hall of Fame artist that rarely happens, almost never. All three of their albums are instant classics.
Speaker 2: One Grammys. Uh, the MTV Unplugged won a Grammy. They I was reading that their label expected them to sell. Their goal was two hundred and fifty thousand albums sold period and they were selling four hundred thousand a week. Insane ninety one insane Yeah, d of ninety one and then I do have a real quick album story.
Speaker 3: So when I was in Utero must have came out in ninety I want to say ninety four, either ninety three or ninety four. Save my save the allowance. Yep, Mom takes me to Kmart. Okay, let's throw back. Yeah, Kmart because they had a they did have a music section. So walk back in there, take my money, buy the CD.
Speaker 2: In Utero c much you think the city was.
Speaker 1: Thirteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: It's pretty pretty decent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, uh so come back to the car, would you buy?
Speaker 1: I show her.
Speaker 3: She made me take it back in and return it based on well that the titles of the music was rate me on that album, oh ah, and then just the just the cover itself, the cover Hart of course, and my mom was like to people my mom's age, a lot of them that was kind of satanic ish, like you know, it was a really it wasn't a sound that they wanted their little young Brady to listen to.
Speaker 2: So I remember being I was so mad.
Speaker 1: I was like so angry that, yeah, just take it back into Kmart.
Speaker 2: Did you end up buying it without her and sneaking it back into the house. I feel like you little Brady must have.
Speaker 3: Meanwhile, at some point, Doggie Style by Snoop Dogg is sitting in my top bests.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that was way more probably inappropriate for children, and I had that. I had that CD too.
Speaker 3: I love it all right, So you gotta let us know what you think Nirvana over rated under it or as me and Dan Bell said, like perfectly, yeah we did.
Speaker 2: We didn't even mentioned we didn't mentioned Dave Grohl, right and that right, who goes on and launches a whole other band that goes on in Hall.
Speaker 3: Of Fame band uh yeah, until next time, follow us on all the things and at Brady one more time, everywhere, everywhere, everywhere.
Speaker 2: Let us know what you think and we will talk to you next time. Fighter