Speaker 1: Jen and I weather tot these guys today high twenty one overnight snow moves in winter weather advisory from my friends around northern Kentucky.
Speaker 2: Whatever that means fifteen for the low twenty two to the high.
Speaker 1: Tomorrow is early snow possible, so watch for the slick spots on your commute. Overcast Wednesday night snow will taper off. Ohio River going over flood stage of predicting a low of twelve degrees and a high twenty three on Thursday with Hartley cloudy skies fifteen. Right now, let's get an update on traffic from the.
Speaker 2: UCL Traffic Center. You see health.
Speaker 3: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at u S health dot com. Southbound seventy five break lights through Wachman northbound seventy five slow go from before Buttermilk into the cut. There's a wreck on Bypass four at Hamilton Middletown and Kellogg is underwater near Sutton thanks to the rising river. Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven thirty right now, if you have kersite talk station. It is a very happy Tuesday. We got the inside scoop with Bright Bart News coming up at eight oh five with aw Or Hawkins, the Second Amendment expert Dania Davis Deep Dive one hour from now on the efforts on Trump administration to solve the war between Russian and Ukraine. And right now from the law firm of Porter Wright, excellent lawyers. They are our legal expert and consultants. Steve Good and welcome back to the Morning Show, my friend. It's always a real pleasure having you on the show.
Speaker 4: Good morning, sir.
Speaker 2: So you have your Charter Committee hat on.
Speaker 4: That's right. We're talking about some bad laws that the city has passed recently here and I've been very honored to serve as the chairman and convener of our one hundred year old Charter Party, the third party here in Cincinnati, and we've got some real issues with a major zoning reform that the city just passed. I put reform in quotation marks. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw your at least I cognitively felt your quote sign with your fingers when you said that. Now, this so called reform, the connected communities zoning legislation remind my listeners before we start talking about why the Charter Committee wants to repeal it, but remind my listeners what connected communities is.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it is a kind of progressive fever dream of zoning reform that will is really kind of a war on single family homeowners. We've been calling it disconnected communities. I know that's an easy kind of joke to make, but you know you'll win. You win basketball games with layups and we'll make the joke. So disconnected communities is this sort of concept that the city came up with that we need more density, which I think everyone agrees with. I mean, I think that we need more taxpayers, we need more people living in the city. It's how you go about it that is the problem. So we have these new rabbid transit bus lines that will be coming on through much of the city in the coming year, running all the major corridors, such as up through Clifton Avenue, Hamilton Avenue at the Reading Road corridor, through almost the entire city, most of the West side, and the idea here is that there will be basically no zoning requirements at all within four blocks of either side of these gigantic bus lines. Which will encompass most of the city. No height requirements, no parking requirements, no garages, no anything. And the idea is to encourage multifamily kind of middle housing, lower end multi family construction. So the practical effect of this will be out of town developers, private equity developers which are coming into the area in droves anyway, buying up single family houses, knocking them down for profit, and then putting in twelve to fourteen unit in apartment complexes right in these single family areas. So it would, in theory, I guess, increase density. The idea is you want these folks to live in the apartments along these bus lines. It's supposed to encourage people to ride the bus and so forth. But it totally disrespects existing homeowners, It disrespects the historic character in the neighborhoods. There are no requirements whatsoever that these new apartment complexes even fit in with the neighborhoods. And what we're already seeing in a handful of neighborhoods like along of College Hill area, we're seeing we're seeing a kind of pre connected communities. Version of this happened in Hyde Park Square, where the neighbors are looking at this and saying, you know, we moved here and bought these houses, an invested a significant amount of our resources and savings into our homes. We're raising our families here, and now you're building these modern things with no parking, adding to congestion and totally changing the way our neighborhood works and looks, and we don't want it. And you know this is one of these. It was passed over the objection of almost every community council in the city. It kind of unites people from Avondale to North Avondale, to Price Hill to Clift into Hyde Park, Democrat, Republican, the in between. We're saying we don't want this. The city council passed it over everyone's objection, and we think it's going to be the hottest political issue this fall, going into the races. It's a uniquely local issue, it's a local screw up. It's something that cuts across all party lines, and it's a great classic Charter third party issue for us because it goes to transparency, consent of the government, and really it's the idea of zoning is not a particularly sexy issue, but let me tell you, it is motivating people across the city right now.
Speaker 1: It is horrible news. If you're a homeowner, Well, I have several questions for you. We're coming up against the break here, so I'm a pause and I will bring you back to ask those questions and talk a little bit more about this and whether or not there might be Oh, I don't know, legal challenges to the whole thing. Seven thirty five right now more with Steve Gooden. First word for and no, it won't get rid of the stench of politics brought about by that Connected Communities program, but it will get rid of the owners that you're dealing with in world smoke, mold, mildew, human odors, pet oders, food oders, whatever.
Speaker 4: The odor.
Speaker 1: Odor exit has a product product to eliminate it, natural products that several of them. You literally can rub the odor exit concentrate on your dog, which I've done before, Liam Man. I'm telling you sometimes he rolls around his stuff in the back of everybody's like, don't even know what I want to know what it is, but it's impossible to get rid of. But otor exit comes out, the smell is gone, all natural ingredients. It just works great. It is a locally owned and operated company. They make these products right here in the city of Cincinnati, and congratulations on twenty five years in business to my friends at odor Exit to learn more about the products. They come with a one hundred percent satisfaction guarantees, so you know they're going to work. If you don't get your money back, Order them online before three pm and you'll have it on your front porch tomorrow overnight delivery, or buy it today by using the search engine on the odor Exit web page od O r xit no eotor exit dot com works on everything except the stench of politics.
Speaker 4: This is fifty five kr an iHeartRadio station, Steve Perrin's coordinated.
Speaker 1: Fine Jenn Andi went the poecast cloudy skuys to day with the high twenty one oh Nagle with fifteen with the snow coming in late night early snow tomorrow morning, so please watch out for slick spots on the Connue twenty two for the high tomorrow down to twelve. Overnight snow will taper off the Ohio River met well go beyond the flood stage right now the predicted fifty three point four feet. Thursday's going to be a partly cloudy day with a high of twenty three. It's fifteen right now and it is traffic time. From the UCL Traffic Center. You see health.
Speaker 3: You'll find comprehensive care that's so personal it makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcomes. Expect more at u se health dot com. Southbound seventy five break lights through Wachland northbound seventy five slow go from before buttermilk into the cut. There's a wreck on by Pass four at Hamilton, Middletown and kell Agg is underwater near Sutton thanks to the rising river. Chuck Ingram on fifty five k DE talk station.
Speaker 1: Fifty fout carc DE talk Station, A very happy Tuesday to you. Love talking with Steve Gooden about matters legal and of course in this particular case, UH, the City of Cincinnati ramming this connected community zoning legislation down the throats of every community in the City of Cincinnati for denser housing, no parking, but on a bus line.
Speaker 2: And that's the first question, Steve.
Speaker 1: You predicated this whole rezoning of all the communities on the idea it's going to have this particular bus route going through it. So the folks in these dense housing projects will have ability to take that bus because it is on the bus route. Now is that to suggest, I'm curious to know if down the road they expand these bus routes, would that then expand the connected communities program?
Speaker 4: Well, absolutely, it could happen that way. And I mean, you know, the bus lines are are being expanded, you know, as they are. I mean the current plan is to add these sort of rapid transit buses, these bigger buses, the so called articulated ones that are kind of double buses and have the sort of rubberized thing in the middle. So I mean they're already expanding, and that's part of the idea here. But I think that's also one of the great failings of this concept, which it just assumes that people who are going to move into these houses are going to ride the bus forever. I mean, we know from other cities that have tried similar schemes out of the Northwest that people you know, are aspirational. They want they want cars. I mean, cars are access so much more economic opportunity for people. They allow you to look at different kinds of jobs, and people aren't going to stop wanting cars. So even if you're in a part of your life where you're going to want to live in one of these again market rate but lower end sort of houses or apartment buildings and live near a bus line and riding the bus. You might you're going to want to car. Someday you're going to want to go into that. It kind of takes away that the whole economic mode of people have of.
Speaker 1: Working well, now does market forces are going to work? Steve good and and you know, at least up until very very recently, the price of real estate has been going through the roof for a variety of reasons. But Hyde Park, let's use that as an illustration, because they're kind of waging a nimby sort of challenge of this coming to Hyde Park is allegedly tear down some historic homes in order to build these dense housing. But if you're going to be able to live in hyde Park Square, that doesn't necessary. That doesn't mean that the place that they're building isn't going to be really comparatively outrageously expensive.
Speaker 4: That's exactly right. I mean, it's a market intervention that is just not well thought out. And look, I mean the big pushback that we're getting, you know, from city Hall, It's like, yeah, this isn't mbyism. I've been told it's classism, racism, even though you know, so there's this assumption, I guess that people of color will be buying these I think that's a false assumption. Our coalition that are opposed, that is opposing this thing is very diverse neighbor because all over the city people weighing in from you know, a black, white otherwise. And if you're a black person for instance, who has actually you know, done what everyone's been telling you for generations to build generational wealth and actually invest in a home and save up the money and get a down payment and buy a house. This is particularly bad news because you know, you you now are having these things that are going to affect your property values, these apartment buildings built right next to you in your single family area. But you you're absolutely right, there's no guarantee that they won't be priced up like crazy. And some of these kind of higher end neighborhoods, I mean, there is a is an attempted market intervention that is just going to empower lower end development that may not end up staying low end. Uh, we don't know. And it just assumes that nobody will ever aspire to anything different or better, that they'll be happy to come into these small apartment complexes with cars, ride the bus forever. I mean, that's not how human being exact, not in a capitalistic society such as ours.
Speaker 1: Well, And I mean, I obviously agree with that point. If you own a home and they're going to build a multi unit facility right next to it, your property is going to deteriorate in value, especially if it doesn't have any parking there. So there's that component. But this whole idea, if you build it, they will come, is that even a safe assumption. I mean, are you going to move into the city of Cincinnati, for example, you are going to be paying a high a tax. That's I mean, that's one of the reasons people move out of the city of Cincinnati. You got that city tax, which funds a general fund, and you don't have to pay that if you live in other communities sometimes.
Speaker 2: I so.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't think that it's necessarily going to be a draw for the city of Cincinnati just because there's more available housing. And then the second point on that is, how much are they really thinking is going to be built? How much additional population will they be bringing. How many units do they think are actually going to be completed.
Speaker 4: Well, they don't know. And I'll tell you the one thing that they do know, and that does bother that bothers us at Charter and bothers me particularly, is that we do know that this area, because it is there is sort of there is a legit housing crunch. I think in the city Cincinnati that's real in part from the reasons you've mentioned. You know, their downtown's doing great, over the Rhinees doing great. The rest of our neighborhoods, you know, are struggling on the services aspect. So it's high tax as poor services. I'm sitting here looking at snow out my window here at nan Clifton right now. And the slowly moving traffic. I mean, these are all the traditional reasons that it's hard to bring people into the city sometimes. But all that being said that we do know that this is a hot market for private equity. Out of town folks looking to do multifamilies and this truly empowers them. And we know that out of town landlords tend to be bad landlords. They tend not to take care of their property and that's exactly what we're concerned about, is a bunch of private equity folks coming in buying up some single family housing heavily into this market. They don't perform, they pull out, and then we have co enforcement issues empty properties. Or the flip side is you're going to have people rushing into certain neighborhoods where they're built thinking they're getting a bargain and really ending up with a kind of lousy product and not being happy with it, or they bid up. I mean, either way, it's a market intervention that is extremely ill conceived. No one knows what's going to happen other than what we've seen in other cities, which is private equity coming in on the cheap and picking up properties this way. We have so many other ways we can improve density, including doing what Columbus has done, which is leverage its public utilities to annex nearby communities. We could do. We could also address the many the thousands of vacant homes that are still hanging around at different parts of the city thanks to the housing bubble from two thousand and eight two thousand and nine. We could actually go after those out of town banks that own those properties. And try to return those to productivities. There are so many other things we could do rather than screw around with our main historic neighborhoods. The great thing about the cities we have these historic neighborhoods at Hyde Park, Clifton Price Ll East Price Hill. They have a distinct character and that's what drives people there, and messing with that seems like the last thing you'd want to do well.
Speaker 1: And also, I mean, let's just face it, Steve, it seems to me if they paid closer attention to maintaining the roads and infrastructure, the communities might be more desirable for folks to want to invest in. I mean, I mean, there's so many roads in the city that are just it's like from Goz I mentioned all the time in the context, like Sunset my favorite road to pick on. But that's been a mess for years and years and years. But if you improve, it's like fixing the broken windows. Crime goes down in neighborhoods that look like they're being cared for, and there are many neighborhoods that have been completely overlooked and neglected for years.
Speaker 4: That's absolutely right. I mean, look, we've got there's a basic services problem. There's a crime component problem here, you know, and there's also an economic all the problem. I mean, you know, the city really has got has got to get if they want to grow, they've got to get back into the business. I'm trying to lure jobs here, manufacturing jobs. There's still plenty of commercial land to develop within the City of Cincinnati. And rather than putting the energy here into like screwing around with these kind of you know, attempt at interventions in the housing market, really to encourage public transit. All the millions of dollars and thousands of dollars of staff time that have been spent like screwing around with this scheme, I got if that had been put into some sort of economic, real economic development activity to try to develop some of the areas, particularly along the Paddock Road corridor in the city, and actually get some jobs for people, entry level jobs, and to try to bring some manufacturing back in the city, then we'd have something. I mean, then you'd have some density. Uh. But that doesn't seem to be where anybody's attention as well. It's it's it's overthought. It's this bad policy, and the neighborhoods just don't want it. It's a total failure of civic engagement. People saying across the city, please don't do this, and they did it anyway. It became sort of like a progressive litmus test at city hall.
Speaker 1: Well, since you're an excellent litigation attorney Porterwright dot com, say, read Steve, any potential for litigation to try to stop this.
Speaker 4: You know at this point likely not. I mean we've looked at that, frankly. I mean, there are folks who were looking at an initiative, a petition drive to put it on the ballot this fall, and I don't know that that's going to happen. There is there are some thoughts that people, you know, particularly once this begins in earnest, that it could trigger a property rights bace challenge. Say basically like, hey, look, I owned my house, particularly I own my house outright, and you guys are affecting the value here of it. But it's really really hard to sue cities from property loss. I mean, you have to show kind of bad faith and arbitrary capricious acts. So it's a difficult thing to do. But we think, what really what the practical effect of this is. It's going to be a very very hot political issue, this wall, and I think you're going to see quite a few candidates coming out trying to repeal it. What's interesting to me is that the city, or at least some of the council members, have held a town hall over the weekend and they're turned to they know they've got a problem. The sponsor of this, you know, Reggie Harris left his council seat and went to d C ironically to work on housing policy and the Biden administration, so you know he's no longer going to have to face the political consequences of this. And we know some of the other council members are trying to amend the thing that you know, our group is basically saying, look, it's got to be repealed outright, we need to start all over. We needed a totally different discussion and a more realistic discussion about what we need to do to grow the city, rather than this sort of scheme to kind of infill it with the lower end department of buildings with no parking. That's something just the neighborhoods do not want.
Speaker 1: Steve Gooden, I cannot thank you enough for explaining this in great detail and easily understandable words for my listening on It's in me. You're good man, Steve, and I appreciate the time that you offer to my listeners in the morning show. We'll have you on again real soon.
Speaker 4: You are much too kind, Brian, thank you for paying attention to this issue.
Speaker 1: Oh, I appreciate your efforts on behalf of all the communities in the city of Cincinnati. It's seven to fifty right now, fifty five car City Talk station. You know, imaging can be affordable if you go to affordable imaging services, not the hospital imaging department where you're going to pay, oh maybe thirty five hundred dollars or even more for an echo cardiogram. Affordable Imaging Services five hundred bucks if you don't get an enhancement eight hundred dollars with an enhancement echo cardiograms at the hospital other facilities they schedule weeks and maybe even months out. They can take you right now. Call Affordable Imaging Services and don't take a chance on waiting for a long time. They had the flexibility to get you in asap. MRIs thirty five hundred dollars at a hospital, No, how about four hundred and ninety five dollars at affordable imaging services. Whether it's the CT scan, ultrasound, lung screen, or cardiac scoring, it's always going to be a hell of a lot less money to affordable imaging services now. Don't expect high overhead. It's very low overhead, which allows them to pass along that savings to you. Out of pocket liability, you know what you're facing, so don't go down that road and empty your check checking your account. You have a choice when it comes to your medical care. They've been at this for more than forty years, using the same kind of equipment at the hospital imaging department. Five one three seven, five three eight thousand five one three seven, five three eight thousand Online learn more at Affordable Medimaging dot com
Speaker 4: Fifty five KRC dot com, Ozembic plus Movement plus Die