Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Make it afternoon, Chris Merril, can't I AM six forty more stimulating? Talk Happy Easter if you're if you're an Easter person, if you're not an Easter person, then Sunday Day, the Pope came out and the Pope had some things to say. Oh yes, my gosh, forgot that, but I just thought it was. Yeah, it's another good one, because wow, here's a great thing too. Yeah. Well, hang on, I'm gonna get to the Pope here in a second. But I'm glad you I'm I'm glad that we heard that because this is a unique Easter being on four to twenty, so that when you fill your Easter basket. Now, my wife and my and my mother used to do the same thing that they would always put, you know, that fake plasticky grass in the Easter basket. This year was filled with a different kind of gross. Oh my gosh, best Easter ever, you know.
Speaker 3: For those that are pot smokers. It is also National cold Brew Day.
Speaker 2: Oh great, that's fun. Thanks Andrew, You're welcome who made four to twenty national cold Brew Day. That's a joke, right, recovering hot Easter. Something yeah, something of the sort. So the Pope was out and in the Pope of course fighting for his life like a month ago. And the Pope came out and he said Happy Easter, and then he handed his speech off. This was the Pope of the Vatican News Nation reporting on that all of.
Speaker 4: These pilgrims and tourists inside Saint Peter's Square this morning were there primarily for the Mass and to mark and celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ, of course first and foremost, but also to get a glimpse of the Holy Father. That wish was granted when after the Mass, the main balcony in front of Saint Peter Square, the curtains opened up an outcome Pope Francis. He spoke just two sentences. He said, good morning, Happy Easter, before handing his pre prepared speech. Is what is called an orbi ed orbi, which is Latin for his message to the people of Roman, to the people of the world. That was handed over to the Master of Ceremonies, who then read it out to the crowd.
Speaker 2: And what did it say?
Speaker 4: And in this very important message for Catholics and for people all over the world, Hannah. The Pope said that Christ has risen. He's not in the tomb. He's alive. He's real. We have to look for him. He called for cease fires around the world and for an end to violence, war and conflict.
Speaker 2: Ah, well, that's just silly, of course.
Speaker 4: He mentioned his closeness to the suffering people of both Palestine and Israel. He mentioned the war in Ukraine. He mentioned the suffering people in South Sudan, in Syria, in Lebanon, and in many different parts of the world. That was the main thrust of his message this morning.
Speaker 2: The Pope really is the most Catholic beauty pageant contestant ever. Whenever there's a speech, and always says we should love one another and bring about world peace. That's it. And how's that working out? About as well as it ever did for any beauty pageant contestant. It doesn't like, Oh, the Pope says we should be kind, we should love one another, and everybody's like, Pope, what's he smoking. Yeah. Meanwhile, the Pope did get a very special visit. JD. Vance showed up. Good news. JD. Advance didn't touch any of the artifacts at the Vatican, didn't have a chance to drop any of them, so that was good. U Vice President's meeting with the Pope not announced in advance because I guess they didn't want the pap aside or something of the sort. A private meeting occurring at eleven thirty this morning at the Papal Residents, just before Mass Da Da da da. The meeting, which lasted a few minutes, gave them opportunity to exchange Easter greetings, and JD. Vance, who's of course a smooth social talker, said I know you not been feeling great, but it's good to see you in better health, and the Pope was like, cool, you can go now, and that's about it. The Pope did, however, give a gift which I thought was nice. Vance received a Vatican necktie and a rosary and then rosaries for the family and chocolate Easter eggs for the kids. And do you think you think this was one of those visits where JD. Vance, again it wasn't announced, but there were cameras there, so somebody knew it was happening. Do you think this was one of those situations where they told the Pope, who of course is semi lucid right now, they said, well, Francis, the Vice President of the United States is going to come visit you. And the Pope said we should give him something, and they went, h we really weren't planning on this, and he said, run down to the gift shop and find something. And that's how he got the necktie and some rosaries, just grab them right out of the Vatican gift shop, which was I thought, nice. Have you seen the price of rosaries lately? Oh my gosh. I woke up early this morning and I went to the grocery store and they had eggs on sale, and I was pretty excited that they were on sale, and and the eggs rang up at the self checkout. I rang up a dozen eggs. And I hate the self checkout where I go. It says it because it reads the price to you on everything. So you run a pack of gum and it's like tri dent three ninety nine savings twenty five cents. I hate that. And everything you run through there, milk, you know, three forty nine savings ten cents whatever. Hate it. But I ran the eggs through and it says eggs seven ninety nine, No excuse, it was seven. Got it down to yeah, I think it was seven ninety nine or eight ninety nine or something, whatever it was. Anyway, it was like three dollars off. So I got the eggs for they must have been nine ninety nine or something. I got them for like six bucks, seven bucks, whatever it was. And I thought, I'm oddly celebrating that eggs are only seven dollars right now, Like, oh, look at all the savings. I got. My dozen eggs was not eight dollars or nine or ten whatever it was. And I thought, how many people are cutting back on eggs? And how much are we cutting back on Easter in general traditional Easter things, because even the Easter candy, all of it has some sort of an egg product in there, right, And if you've seen inflation lately, it ain't pretty. NBCLA was talking about the Easter prices.
Speaker 5: Easter may have come at a higher price tag this year, but that's not stopping families from celebrating.
Speaker 2: I had to get the classic chocolate bunny.
Speaker 3: See you got some egg hunting bags.
Speaker 2: And you jump rope. Oh yeah, the Easter jump rope a long family tradition. Hey, real quick side note, when you guys get one of those chocolate bunnies. Do you start at the ears or at the feet?
Speaker 6: The ears like a normal person, always the.
Speaker 3: Ears, Always, Raoul, I bust it in half and like eat the middle.
Speaker 6: We should talk the cops.
Speaker 2: So the majority of people, myself included along with you guys, start at the ears. We always eat the bunny's head first. I don't know why, but we do. Uh. And then a small fraction of people, like fifteen percent, start at the feet. And then if you're a psychopath, you break it in half and you start eating the midsection out like you're some sort of a weird cannibal. Can you imagine the zombie apocalypse? Because Raoul is going to be the most fun to watch, no doubt. The rest of us are going to be nibbling on people's ears, like, oh, I just thought i'd little ear appetizer. Raoul's like I want the guts.
Speaker 5: Treats to traditions, many families are still making memories, even if they're skipping a few steps.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously we're not going to boil eggs.
Speaker 5: The Ryan Cards say they're taking a break from their annual egg dying tradition due to high egg prices.
Speaker 2: The kids do like decorating them.
Speaker 6: So I don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess we're not going to do that this year.
Speaker 2: No, you're not. Do you know what people are doing instead? This is sad. We have turned into a third world country because now instead of painting eggs or dying eggs, whatever, people are now decorating potatoes. That's the new thing. Yep, they're dialing up the potatoes. So record high egg prices sprout in the idea of budget friendly Easter alternative painting potatoes instead of eggs, reports Axios. Potatoes USA is the national marketing and promotion board representing US growers and reporters, have been looking to scramble the holiday traditions and now has a how to guide on painting spuds. Kids of all ages love that potatoes offer an easy, fun and affordable way to get creative. According to the senior Global marketing manager Potatoes USA, does anyone believe that all kids love painting potatoes? Anybody? Anybody? I didn't think so, Oh, look at the joy in their faces. Potatos. It's like in the eighteenth century when there was famine and they get to the middle of you know, March, and they were hoping to be able to get through the rest of spring until finally they could plant a crop, and so they're like, well, all we have left is cabbage. That's it. That's if they had a good year. Otherwise they turn into the tramp and they start trying to eat their shoes. That's what happens. One final feel good story about Easter. I remember hearing about this guy when I was younger, and it tripped me out because he's not the only one. But I've heard about other people doing this, and that this guy's done it thirty six times now. On Good Friday, there's a dude who has crucified and been crucified I guess thirty six times now, and he did it again. And this is full on crucifixion. They drive the nails through the hands, into the wood, into the feet, and I guess they do this every year, and they lift them up put him on the cross, and they're up there for ten minutes and they say, oh, he cries out in agony. Yeah, I would too. The reason is the guy he had like a near death experience and he survived, and so he credited being saved and he thanks God for a second life, and so it's important to him to make a sacrifice to thank God for that he was. He fell from a three story building and survived it. He considered that a miracle, and so now he does this crucifixion thing. But he's also taken to giving every year a crucifixion is sort of in the name of something. So last year he highlighted the war against Ukraine, and he said at the time, if these wars worsen and spread, more people, especially the young and the old, would be affected. These are innocent people who have totally nothing to do with these wars. This is why I always pray for peace in the world, always, like the Pope. And as we know, thirty six years of crucifying later, still no world peace. So not going great. In fact, if you're looking for world peace, you can look no further than our commander in chief, who wished everyone a very happy Easter on truth Social whether you're heading out to church or watching service from home, May this day be full of peace and joy for all who celebrate the resurrection of Jesus Christ he has risen. And then he said happy Easter to all, including the radical left lunatics who are fighting and scheming so hard to bring murderers, drug lords, dangerous prisoners, the mentally insane and well known MS thirteen gang members, and wife beaters back into our country. So he also said happy Easter to the weak and ineffective judges and law enforcement officials who are allowing the sinister attack on our nation to continue, an attack so violent that it will never be forgotten. Yep, yeah, yeah. Then he was after Joe Biden. He said he was the worst, most incompetent president, also perpetuating the big lie that people cheated in the twenty twenty presidential election in order to get hit this highly destructive moron elected. He said, So, I mean, you got to give it to him. He wished happy Easter to all of them. So that's kindness, that's an Eastern miracle. Fire fallout continues, and people are not happy with Jake from State Farm. I mean, how did you not see that coming? I think we all did, except accept the Public Utilities commission who they're like, wow, that that's fine, and then the the insurance commissioner who goes, oh boy, this is going to cost you guys a lot. How much do you want to raise your rates? It's blank check Easter? Next Chris Merril KFI AM six forty were live everywhere on the iHeart Radio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Hey, Chris Merril KFI AM six forty more stimulating talk. Hey, we got to do a talkback question here. Guys. If you're on the iHeartRadio app, you open that app, you see a little microphone icon. You click on that, and that is our talkback and it allow us you to record a message thirty seconds, which we found out last week when someone was calling to tell me how terrible I was. He was more than thirty seconds angry, and he got cut off right in the middle of it, which, honestly kind of funny. What do you want to do for a talkback question, Kayla? You want to do an Easter thing? Or Raoul wants to do a four twenty thing.
Speaker 7: I think that that's excluding people think some people don't celebrate Easter a live, but for twenty No, I.
Speaker 2: Agree with you on that. Yeah, about just holidays in general, do we care about it's April, like holiday spending or anything.
Speaker 6: Are you thinking about holiday spending in April? I'm not.
Speaker 7: I'm thinking about summer being around the corner and being at the beach. So I did like the attacks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, because if you're going to the beach, the seals are going crazy right now. Yeah, I got an angry sea lion attack. All right, let's do that talk that question today. Then tell me about the time that you got attacked by an animal, and if you didn't see it coming, that's even better. I don't want to hear about my dog bit me. Come on, be creative. Tell me about the time you got attacked. You're walking down the you're hiking and a mountain lion comes out. Maybe a bird started pecking at you or something. I don't know. Tell me about that. That's what I want to hear. Those would be good stories.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, I got I got a couple of good ones. So yeah, I like this.
Speaker 2: What do you mean you get attacked?
Speaker 6: One time I've gotten attacked? Yeah, I was.
Speaker 7: I was feeding geese and I ran out of food and they didn't respect that. They chase me, impacted me, and it was awful. I was like six or seven.
Speaker 2: I'm still scared of them to the little sons of guns, aren't they.
Speaker 6: They got little teeth and they were just getting me. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Time did anybody rescue you or were they too busy laughing?
Speaker 6: No, my grandpa came and save me. Thank God for him.
Speaker 2: All right, that's good. I like that. Is that the only one?
Speaker 6: Dogs? Would you tell me?
Speaker 3: That's boring?
Speaker 6: So I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it's kind of boring. Yeah, I mean I got I got attacked by a dog. But I mean that's too common.
Speaker 6: It does happen.
Speaker 2: It is, it does happen. The big dog that attacked you, Well, I was little and it was I think it was big.
Speaker 6: I don't seemed big at the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I was like, you're I was like six Yeah, same thing, right, I mean I was, I was very young. So all right, I like that. Tell me about the time you got attacked by by an animal, a wild animal, we'll say, a wild animal. Tell me about the time you were attacked by a wild animal. We do have a sea lions that we're attacking people. If you were someone who was a victim of the Eton fire, there may be new evidence out there to help you out. And this may come as a shock. They think they know what started it.
Speaker 8: Attorneys for what's called La Fire Justice, a conglomerate of lawyers and wildfire experts presents to eat and fire victims. What they claim is enhance video of the fire's ignition and spread.
Speaker 2: Guess what. Guess where the ignition was? Guess just what do you think? Anybody? Anybody? Yeah? It was power lines.
Speaker 9: We've investigated this with some of the best fire cause and origin experts in the world, and we've determined that this fire started on an abandoned line that's owned by Edison, and therefore they'd be responsible for all the damages.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not surprised at all, not surprised. Well, you know what that means. Rates are going to go up. But the good news is while they need you to give them more money to take down those abandoned lines so that you don't they don't burn your house down too like they did people in in Altadena, you will also get to pay more for your insurance. And people are not happy. I guess they were doing. What is it? State Farm's catastrophe claim tent Colorado Boulevard, Pasadena, a group of people urging California Insurance Commissioner Ricardo Lara to launch a formal investigation into State Farm, saying that a series of delayed and denied claims has left wildfire victims and dire financial positions and unable to return to contaminated homes. Are you telling me that we have an insurance company who is engaging in the practice of delay and deny while at the same time making the case for a seventeen percent emergency rate hike, which they say is out of the kindness of their heart, because what they really wanted was twenty two percent, and you should be thankful. State Farm says it's necessary to help stabilize the State Farm General's financial position, and Laura of course approve that on a provisional basis. He's just waiting on an administrative judge to sign off, so you'll get to pay more. I think part of the deal is that they will ensure you. They can't just drop you. But don't worry. Even though you have insurance, if you have to file acclaim, you will get to experience the same thing everyone else does. You won't feel left out. They will delay and deny, making you hole again, So you've got that going for you. We'll talk lawmakers, law breakers, the times there ought to be a law, and we'll get your feedback. When were you attacked by a wild animal, and we'll give you the story on the sea lion attacking. Still to come this hour. It's Chris Marril I AM six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, Chris Merril, I AM six forty, more stimulating talk. Happy Easter for those that celebrate, Happy for twenty for those that celebrate, and Happy Cold Brew Day for Andrew Caravell uh let me see oh talk back. If you were open up the iHeartRadio app, you'll see the and you're listening to us on there, can't find you. Hit the talkback button and you can leave us a message. This guy concerned about insurance rates with State Farm.
Speaker 10: Wooho State Farm increase.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Mine came due the fifteenth of April, just a couple of days ago. Actually the bill came in the mail two months ago. I paid it, so I beat it under the wire man. Everybody else is going to get screwed because they're gonna get raised twenty percent or more. But they couldn't raise it before my bill was already sent out. Beat it under the wire man.
Speaker 2: You made it. You got yourself another year, Well done, nice job. What are you not wait until the next commercial break?
Speaker 1: Raoul?
Speaker 2: That was the caller, for sure, that was the caller. No. We asked the question, have you ever been attacked by a wild animal? Get a story coming up about an angry sea lion that is attack people.
Speaker 3: Sometimes I feel like I'm attacked by wild animals here on the on the air live.
Speaker 2: That's not nice. Roll's nice guy. He's had his shots.
Speaker 3: Have you ever have you ever worked with Bill Handle in the morning.
Speaker 2: No, the closest I've ever come. I'm honest, if I'm being Scout's honor here, I've only actually had the occasion to talk to Bill like two or three times in my life. And one of those was that, Actually I've got the I still have the lanyard. It's on my desk right here. It was, Uh, it was forever ago. They did the Hack to the Future. That was the live event with Bill and uh. It was like a live performance thing. They wrote a script out. It was hilarious. It was great. And then I was in for I think it was in for Gary and Shannon one day and and uh, Bill came back during commercial breaks and we just shot the breeze for a little bit, but that's it. So no, I've not actually worked with him. Now I work with you know what I feel in for him. I work with the other people. But obviously he's not there, so he just ignores me. Blame him. That was a long answer to your question. No I have not. Okay, good talk yep, okay, very good. Andrew is such a classic reporter. He asks a question and then he just waits and he'll allow silence to fill the room until the person feels the need to fill that silence by giving him more.
Speaker 3: Quotes, and then they walk away feeling awkward like they do. Did I answer that the well?
Speaker 2: Did it not? I don't have any idea. Nice job, it's a gift. It's I like it. I like it all right. So we asked the question, you ever been attacked by a while the animals squirrels who lived in the tree in our yard.
Speaker 11: And she was feeding nuts to them, and she didn't quite understand, so she was kind of taunting it, like pulling one of the nuts back, and the squirrel reached out and bit her, and so we were extremely worried about the plague. We called the animal control. We called all these wildlife waystations, and turns out after I caught the squirrel, because of what they have to do to test for that kill it out squirrel population. There's never been a known case of the bubonic plague.
Speaker 2: I thought it was rabies. Squirrels don't have rabies. No, or squirrels have no because I actually googled this. Nope, that's a lie. I binged this. I just typed in squirrel plague and the California Department of Public Health says the plague is rare among humans, but has found each year among squirrels, chipmunks, and other rodents in California and southwestern United States. So they are in the ground squirrels. I don't know he got although he was dealing with a tree squirrel. I don't know if that's different. I don't have any idea the lawmakers, law breakers at the times that there ought to be a law. Let's talk. Let's fast forward here on our angry animal situation, including an angry sea lion. By the way, if you're listening on the iHeartRadio app, hit that talk back and let us know when you were attacked by a wild animal like these poor beach goers were.
Speaker 12: This is at the world famous wedge here in Newport Beach. A sea lion chasing a bunch of surfers out of the water.
Speaker 2: This happened earlier this week.
Speaker 12: This video was taken by a gentleman who goes by the nickname of Dingo and runs a YouTube channel called Dingo said. So, he didn't want his real name used or his face shown, but we did talk to him.
Speaker 2: You hear from him, Thank goodness, don't. We don't out the Dingo in a moment.
Speaker 12: But he said it was a just bizarre situation. At one point, everybody thought this was a cute sea lion. It was out there surfing with some of the surfers at some points that looked like but then it just started getting aggressive and chasing some of the surfers out of the water. Eventually, he says, lifeguards were called and they eventually got ahold of the Pacific Marine Mammal Center who came and took that sea lion in.
Speaker 2: But here's what we told me a littit.
Speaker 12: More about that in a moment, but first here's more from the gentleman who took all that video.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, Dingo.
Speaker 13: And so every time somebody would go out into the water, this sea lion would charge at them until they got up out of the water up onto the sand, and the sea lion would actually chase them up onto the sand and then stop. And so everybody was lined up across the water's edge up there because the sea lion was kind of taking charge of the water.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't let him come in. Now you saw in the video there.
Speaker 12: You may have seen the video that it looks like some of the folks from the Pacific Marine Mammal Center did come out and take that sea lion in. If you've been following some of the coverage, they've been doing that a lot. There have been a lot of issues with sea lions getting sick, displaying aggressive behavior, and they're all attributing it to this algae bloom and the demoic acid.
Speaker 2: Nah. Those sea lions are angry, they're unifying, they're rallying.
Speaker 12: That these sea lions have been ingesting. So a lot of sea lions being affected by this. It's suspected that might be the issue going on here. We've reached out to the Pacific Marine Mammal Center for more information on that. When we get it, we'll bring it to you, but for now reporting here in Newport Beach, I'm chipyos.
Speaker 2: To KTLA five news. All right, thank you, Chip, appreciate that. So the demoic acid like spelled like demoic domoic do m o ic demoic acid. They say it is caused by the unprecedented toxic algae bloom and it's making the animals crazy. Isn't there a TV show about this right now? Yeah? That's the fungal infection, isn't it. That's the last of us. Yeah, the fungus turns people into zombies and they get angry and they just want to eat your guts or whatever. So thousands of the sea lions and other sea life have been dealing with this demoic acid and it makes them very sick and it gets them aggressive. As you know, don't don't mess with the an injured or a wounded animal, right, And they said they're super sick. And not only that, but they also have saxetoxin, which causes paralytic shellfish poisoning. Saxotz These are this is new to me. Saxotoxin disorients the animals, can cause permit brain damage and gives rise to aggressiveness. Just like the last of us on HBO. The sea lion euthanized after it was deemed to be too sick to recover. Oh, they say some animals can get better if the toxin is caught early. So they're getting this. They got the acid, uh, the demonic acid from the algae bloom, and the toxic algae bloom also does this sacks of toxin. So anyway, that's why these sea lions are getting sick and they don't even know what's going on. All they know is that they're just angry and they don't like the surfers anymore. Is that it doesn't even have to do with infringement on their on their beaches. They're just generally angry little imps. That's it.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just want to do LA law with with angry sea line of attacks. That's it. They're break they're not breaking the law. But let's be honest, if they were people, we would throw them hind bars for aggravated assault. California getting ready to get rid of their visas, not their MasterCards. That's next. KFI AM six forty We're live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand Chris Merril.
Speaker 2: CAFI AM six forty more stimulating talk up after five o'clock. It's politics as usual, including a late night decision by the Supreme Court. You'll hear about that and an update about the the fella who was in an l salvatory in prison. That is until the camera showed up and then things didn't look so bad. You think that was unintentional? No, happy Easter to those who celebrate. Happy four to twenty to those who celebrate. We started the program talking about a survey that I saw that said that something like eighty five percent of people when given a chocolate bunny, they start at the ears. Brief survey around here, Kayla ears, Andrew ears, me ears. Raoul breaks the bunny in half and starts eating the midsection, which is just weird. Now I'm not the only one that thinks it. From the talkbacks, Hey Chris.
Speaker 8: Can you please have a chocolate tell o mom about him eating chocolate bunnies.
Speaker 5: You have to nibble on the ears before you go to the groin.
Speaker 1: Talk about making it awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's my uncle. Honestly, it's uh. I like the way he says your name. Have I just been anglicizing your name? So do I roll the r? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ra Yeah, I'm so calling you Raoul.
Speaker 2: My stepdad called me Ral. Oh that's good yo. Ral never changed. There was always Ral. Was he doing that because he was an evil stepfather or did he just not know how to say oh? I like that it sounds sexier. I mean, if you were to introduce yourself and say hi, I'm Raoul, I'd be like, Okay, nice to meet you. But if you were to say hi, I'm Raoul, then I'd be like, I want you to tear my belly apart and start at the groin.
Speaker 8: Tell mom a on eating chocolate Bunny.
Speaker 5: Yep, you have to mibble on the ears before you get to the groin.
Speaker 2: But Raoul might give you a pass, might give you a pass. Uh. If you go to UCLA, you may not want to take that little trip down to TJ. I don't care how cheap the shows are on.
Speaker 15: The campus of UCLA today. New fears for international students.
Speaker 16: I'm definitely worried about like international students on campus a lot. I have a lot of friends that are international, and I would hate for them to have any of their visas revoked.
Speaker 15: That after an international student was swept up by US immigration agents and she tried to re enter the US from Mexico on Wednesday, The La Times reporting the student was able to contact UCLA officials as she was taken into custody at the San Ya Sidro crossing.
Speaker 14: This is a very concerning situation on border patrol has the student in detention, but they're not allowing her to talk to their attorney. So that's a very important constitutional right, and it's been to on to the student and she has a student visa.
Speaker 15: They have let ice on campus yesterday, a large loud protest on campus. Students and faculty now demanding the university increase support for international students.
Speaker 2: All right, somebody else fix that problem. University needs to do this. But it's not just UCLA. Yes, students losing their visas all over the place. Now.
Speaker 17: Several international students attending college in Orange County have had their visas revoked, according to officials that you see Irvine, cal State, Fullerton, and Chapman University. The Panther, student run newspaper at Chapman University is reporting that two graduate students and one postdoctorate student have one week to leave the country.
Speaker 2: These are aren't these the best in the brightest? I mean, when we haven't we heard? How do I phrase this? I don't want to just pin this on the administration, because I think all of us agree that when it comes to immigration, there's no question we want the best and the brightest to be here in the United States. Right. Even Elon Musk went to the border in Texas when they were doing all those photo shoots twenty twenty three, they were doing all those photoshoots at the border. They kept going down to the one border crossing where they were putting up the floating barriers or whatever, and Elon Musk said, you know, to fix immigration, we should let the good people in and keep the bad people out. And it was like, WHOA, why did anybody think of that? We are literally saying we're gonna throw out the baby with the bathwater now. Okay, not literally, we are figuratively saying we're throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Now. We're gonna take the graduate the post graduate students. We are gonna take the brightest from around the world, and you gotta week get out.
Speaker 16: I think it's a little crazy that stuff like this is happening. I saw a post on it from our newspaper last night, and I remember just thinking like, oh my god, Like that's just it's weird to think it's actually happened here, because it's just it's not right.
Speaker 17: The Chapman article said the reason for the revocations were not given at a faculty senate meeting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course not, and they go, but trust us.
Speaker 17: A campus spokesperson didn't have specific details about the students, but told me the Chapman Office of International Student Services is working directly with the affected students to try and understand their specific situations. At a Cabinet meeting last week, Secretary of State Marco Rubio defended the administration's crackdown on international students.
Speaker 2: Just trust us. They're bad people, these doctorates and postdoctorate. Yeah, if you.
Speaker 18: Come to this country as a student, we expect you to go to class and study and.
Speaker 2: Get a degree.
Speaker 17: If you come here to like vandalize a library, take over a campus and do all kinds of crazy things, you know, we're going to get rid of these people.
Speaker 2: Oh, were these leaders in some sort of a protest. No, we don't even know. We're not going to tell you, we're not going to provide any evidence. What we're gonna do is we're gonna deport and we're gonna say trust us, they're really bad. They were protesting, so there it is. And they took over a library, which is the first time all semester there were students in the library. Because everything's available online now and.
Speaker 6: We're going to continue to do it.
Speaker 17: Cal State Fullerton confirmed that four student visas were revoked. Junior Gomez is a senior on campus.
Speaker 19: I believe they're being told to leave because they have a certain amount of influence over others in order to congregate in a space altogether, and it scares them because the louder the voice, you know, the louder that we're going to start opposing certain ideas.
Speaker 17: Luna Rosa has two international students. In a classic Chapman she says they didn't travel for spring break.
Speaker 18: They were afraid of the process of getting back, and they're afraid to leave right now because it's just so everything's so uncertain, and obviously they want to stay.
Speaker 2: Hold on. I'm sorry, I'm sidetracked because I'm noticing this. Younger generations don't pronounce their teas have you noticed this.
Speaker 18: Everything's so uncertain.
Speaker 2: M certain, it's uncertain. It's uncertain. You can have a rolling tea, doesn't have to be a heart. You don't have to say certain, but you have to still, there has to be there has to be a consonant in there.
Speaker 18: Everything's so uncertain, and obviously they want to stay here.
Speaker 17: Attorney General Rob Bonta joined other attorneys general by filing a brief challenging what he calls the Trump administrations unjustified and unconstitutional revocation of visas of students and faculty who exercise their free speech.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're really upset about the protests. We're not going to tell you whether or not they were protesters. We certainly aren't going to prove any evidence that they did anything wrong when they were protesting. But just the mere fact that they threatened to protest and speak out against something that they see as injustice is enough to get them deported, deported, It's enough to get them booted. That is a slippery slope. Slippery slope. Even Ted Cruz when he was fighting about censorship on tech, he kind of came up with the old you've heard it before, and that the best way to combat speech you don't like is with more free speech. Right is to flood the airwaves with your opinion. That's it, except we're finding out that you can flood the airwaves, you can flood the internet with our opinion, but you can't flood the internet or the airwaves or the megaphones with not our opinion. That's enough to get you booted. Meanwhile, what's going on with the deportation stuff? Because the Supreme Court did something very very unusual. I'll tell you what that is next. Chris merrilf I AM six forty. We're live everywhere in the iHeartRadio app, KFI AM six on demand