Speaker 1: Something you should go time out for. Something you should know, brought to you by GENESISGOLDIRA dot com. That is also something you should know that you can put your retirement plan on the gold standard. Genesis Gold Group is the only IRA backed by physical gold and silver. Learn more right now and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis goold ir A dot com. Super excited a VI is it right now with a very funny stand up comic, Tom Tokar, and he is all over the country doing comedy and we are so blessed to have him in Soup Falls on Saturday, July twenty seventh. It's before you know it, he'll be here. Tom, thanks for joining us today. I'm excited to have you in Sioux Falls.
Speaker 2: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Don excited to get out to Suit Falls for the first time.
Speaker 1: We're excited to have you and I get to open the show for you, so I will see you on Saturday night. We get to work together.
Speaker 2: That's very exciting. John. What kind of material you're doing up there?
Speaker 1: You know, it's all pretty much just dumb stories of things that I've done because I keep doing stupid things.
Speaker 3: That's the sort of thing I don't know if you got my rule for my openers, but no stupid stories about things you've done.
Speaker 1: That's all about I have nothing but fart jokes then, so I guess we're in for a treat.
Speaker 2: That's also no part joke. No do know your family? Oh no, nor no work, no clean stuff.
Speaker 1: I have in so much trouble now I am so excited. First of all, how long have you been doing stand up comedy?
Speaker 2: Tom? I started about two ten, so about fourteen years now.
Speaker 1: And what was it? What was it? The kind of Drea to that is? What was it that made you decide I am going to get on stage and bear my soul to these people?
Speaker 2: Well, you know I was.
Speaker 3: I was obsessed with watching comedy as a kid. My mom made the mistake of letting me have a TV in my bedroom, and so I would watch Comedy Central all.
Speaker 2: The time, and I was like, man, I want to I want to do this. This seems so fun.
Speaker 3: I also assumed that everybody who was on Comedy Central was like a multi millionaire, And now that I've done that, assure you that is not true. Yeah, but yeah, it's a club opened up in my hometown when out while I was in college, and I was like, oh, man.
Speaker 2: I was working at a hospital at the time.
Speaker 3: And I was like, man, I want to go over there and try out the open mic. And soon enough I was no longer going to med school and I was just doing comedy full time. I love that, and one thing led to another. It is kind of one of those things where I was like, I'm going to try this out. It seems like it would be cool if I if I could make it work, and then I just became obsessed with it.
Speaker 1: And as you look at the opportunities you've had come along, is there something along the way that you look back and go I still think this was like my favorite thing I've ever had a chance to do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, getting booked at Too Fall one.
Speaker 1: Well, let's take that one off the list. What else on the list?
Speaker 2: There? No, there were a couple. But I felt really lucky that I grew up watching Conan O'Brien, and I got really lucky that I was able to perform in that show before it ended.
Speaker 3: And so I look back at that as something that's really cool, because I'm like, that doesn't even exist anymore, and I got to do it while it was still around. But the big things for me were I grew up watching those Comedy Central half hour special so when I got to do one of those myself, I was really that felt like full circle, like oh, I'm doing what made me do this, what made me get into this. It's crazy and to think like, oh, maybe I can be that for some kid watching this right now, and.
Speaker 1: That probably has happened. I bet there's some kids that have been watching that and they see you and they go, man, I want to do what he's doing. What he does. I bet that guy's super wealthy because he's on Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: One of the things that I've always noticed is like when I when the Forbes list of the most wealthy people on the planet come out, I always look to see how many of these people are comics, and well, yeah, I don't think any of them.
Speaker 3: Baby you want Yeah, and you've like never even heard of where You're like, how is that possible?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean that I had never heard of, Like you know, it's usually a guy who has puppet, but not just you're like, what is it? I got the wrong? Maybe I'll bring a puppet to to ball. That'd be fun. I've never done any work with that. But I'll wear a mat. I'll wear one of those face mats that you can't tell if I'm talking or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, twenty twenty would have been the best year to break into ventriloquism. Really, it wouldn't matter if your lips are moving or not.
Speaker 2: It would be funny because there was a time where we had to wear a mat on stage. It was really weird and I was thinking, like, man, going to see a puppet guy right now? You just after keeping like truck me. I'm doing it.
Speaker 1: My lips are not moving, I promise. The other thing you could do is you could bring a ventriloquist dummy on stage and then just never have the dummy say anything. Just do your entire set completely straight without even pointing, like pointing out the fact that you have a dummy on your lap.
Speaker 3: Right, and just have him make faces like you just judge it like I really only learned that part of it.
Speaker 1: Or you can have him laughing, you know, he's laughing at all your jokes. No, I'm kind of hoping do that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm excited. I'm excited to work with you. I think it's gonna be a whole lot of fun. I'm gonna throw a link to make it easy for folks to find tickets. And you've got a bunch of stuff between now and then, but I am excited to have you in Sioux Falls. Thank you also for taking the time to chat.
Speaker 2: Hey, of course, thanks for having me. John excited to.
Speaker 1: Work together man absolutely again, Tom Tacar, He'll be in Sue Falls at the Icon Lounge. It is coming up on Saturday, the twenty seventh of July. So if you don't have tickets that you can get them now. All of the details at Sue Falls Comedy on Facebook, so Facebook dot com slash Sue Falls Comedy. But I also have a link at Facebook dot com slash Sunny Radio and Facebook dot com slash Suit Falls News. And that is something you should know.
Speaker 3: Something you should know.
Speaker 1: Something you should know is brought to you by Genesisgoldira dot com. Put your retirement plan on the Gold Standard. Get a free Gold and Silver guide now at Genesis gooldra dot com.