Speaker 1: If you have KRCD talk station. A very very happy Wednesday, made extra special because Todd Zenser is back in studio. Former Inspector General of the US Department of Commerce. He has an amazing background crunching numbers and finding out facts, and he's still at it in his free time. In his spare time, he follows things political as well as well. I suppose from a financial bottom line standpoint. We were just joking around and we're going to talk about the Brent Spence Bridge project, and I just I just kind of looked at him and I said, do you think this project will ever get off the ground? And he just chuckled. He said, yeah, eventually. Welcome back, Todd Zenzer. The problem seems to be is that we do have a necessary project, which is replacing the Brent Spence Bridge. It's over capacity, it's falling apart, it's it's way way more traffic on it than it was ever built to handle. So fine, we can at least all Republican Democrat independent communists agree that, you know, we need a Bran Spence Bridge, and maybe a few people out there going no, we don't. But this has turned into one of those well if you're going to build a bridge then, and everybody and his brother wants to get their hand in the cookie jar and start changing it and adding it and putting the adding on this and that and so the latest and let's just start with the bridge. Roundabouts roundabouts and then they don't look like roundabouts in the traditional roundabout sense. They had a caller earlier. They didn't like them, and I think primarily the normal roundabout, Like we joke when we think you're European vacation with Chevy Chase, you pull up to it and when you have a space, you pull onto the roundabout. You continue to move until you get to the street you want to go on and pull off. It's a circle. He it's the name round about. The plans that I saw reported by at least over a CPO. These don't look like that. They just look like streets.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a little hard to figure out. But morning Brian. By the way, it's a little difficult to figure out exactly what they have in mind because the headline in the Enquirer article talked about twenty roundabouts. Yeah, and there aren't. There probably aren't ten roundabouts in the whole metropolitan area at this point. I go through one most mornings over in Newport across the south Gate Bridge because four seventy one is closed, so an alternate as a south Gate bridge when you go over there by the aquarium. I know you're talking about it around about absolutely, it's very simple.
Speaker 1: They are once you get used to them, they're simple. I mean, some people struggle with the concept, and you know, some people will just merge right on in rather than waiting for the opportunity. But once we all sort that out to get used to it, I think most people like me will find them to be a far better thing than sitting at a red light, idling and waiting for the damn thing to turn green, because that doesn't help anybody.
Speaker 2: What your caller earlier today is kind of a representative of what people think about roundabouts. They don't like them. They're they're not used to them. They don't really understand how to maneuver through them. Uh so you know that's.
Speaker 1: A valid that's a valid curve.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the other thing about roundabouts that hasn't been talked about is they're not really pedestrian or bicycle friendly. Oh oh, all right, which seems contradictory to the latest push to walkable cities and things like that.
Speaker 1: It's so funny you brought that up, because that kind of thing never enters my mind. One, I don't ride a bike, and wherever I kind of round about, there's no way I would ever be on foot to be in a place where the roundabout is. It's just that's off, that's been off my radar. But that's actually funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's uh, it's something they have to consider. Plus, roundabouts take up a lot of land.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, and if if they've got I think the number I saw for this Queensgate concept is twenty five acres that they've reclaimed or something like that. You put twenty roundabouts in twenty five acres, you're not going to have much much else left. So I thought, I don't think we're looking at twelve. I think you're probably maybe looking at the four corners or something like that to get into the queens Gate area.
Speaker 1: Well, I will say that in certain places, under certain traffic conditions, I think they are a good idea, But a roundabout for the sake of putting it around about is a stupid idea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you don't know whether they've thought all that through. I'm sure they must have no.
Speaker 1: And I joked about this morning too because I saw city council examining New Brunsman's Bridge approach using roundabouts, and I was struggling with the idea of our city council all the way up to the mayor having any concept about planning. And I know they have people hired out to do planning, but therein lies the challenge because those people they hire out to do these and consider these projects are the type of people that bring up other ideas and additions that raise the price and the cost of these things to astronomical numbers. And they already start with astronomical numbers.
Speaker 2: That's right. So right now it looks like there's excuse me, one point six billion federal dollars that are committed to the project. But the project right now is estimated to cost three points six billions. So that's another two billion dollars on top of what the bridge money from the federal government totals.
Speaker 1: Well, the bridge, if we just focus excuse me, if we just focus on the bridge, the necessary component, and ignore roundabouts and extensions over and whatever, is that the three is that where that three billion dollar figure comes from.
Speaker 2: It comes from the whole footprint. They've got the bridge and then there's maybe three four or five miles on the Kentucky side and three miles on the Cincinnati side. We'll go up to Western Hills Vidoc. Yeah, and then they'll go up to Fort Fort Mitchell and so there's various access entrances and excess and all the rest of that. So the issue with Queensgate looks to be the connections to seventy five. Once that work is completed, how is it going to connect? What are the connections going to be in Ohio DOT which is controlling the Ohio side issue, they came up with access to Queen's Gate. It's called it. Well, actually this this Brian Bowling came up with this idea of this grid over seventy five into Queensgate, and ODOT cooperated and came up with a design. And Brian didn't like that design, and I guess city council didn't like that design.
Speaker 1: Either way, you'll make Brian thing, I'm sorry who made this? This This Brian guy pope of the whole I think.
Speaker 2: He made himself a pope. I mean, he came up with these proposals.
Speaker 1: Oh who is he? He is a.
Speaker 2: He's a local activist at this point, but he's he started a group called Bridge Forward.
Speaker 1: Oh, he was on my program, was at earlier this year.
Speaker 2: Last year or something.
Speaker 1: And he's the one that wanted to cover all of it with this, with the surface covering, so you could sort of build on top of and above the roads below right, which you know, I don't know where the nine bajillion dollars would come to be able to afford to pay. That looks good on paper, nice theoretical concept, but we are pretty much broke as a city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the that's the missing That's the missing piece, Brian is how much is all that going to cost? And I think that's what resulted in him pairing down all of these proposals to where now the differences between one way streets going in and out of Queen's Gate to two way streets going in and out of Queen's Gate plus plus the roundabouts. That's I think that's where the conversation is right now.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, it's possible we have a number of topics or whoever with Todd, we clearly have not left this concert or this talk yet, So we'll talk a little bit more about the brun spens Bridge project. Todd Zinzer in studio if we got it for an hour until we get the judge in the poltono and you're going to crack up with the judge's column today. Shoot the drones, hect on a second. It is seven thirty five and it's not for me to mention QC Kinetics because can you imagine twenty twenty five as we enternew calendar year being the year without pain. You are struggling with joint pain, knee pain, back pain, hit pain, whatever the kind of pain it is, QC Kinetics and offer you lasting relief with their advanced protocols in regenerative medicine. I know you've been to the doctor. You've probably been with the steroid injection route, and you've been with the doctor to talk about surgery and considering all the downtime, how about QC kinetics regenerative protocols, which is are done in office with no downtime, and they've offered tens of thousands of the folks lasting relief over the years. So why not give it a shot? And I say that because it's a free consultation. If you're not eligible for the protocol, they know that it won't work for you, then they'll tell you that straight up. But you'd imagine not having to go into the knife and have been dealing with all that downtime. That's why I say give them a call and take them up on their offer to talk with you about these regentative treatments, natural probably properties of your own body, concentrated and placed right where that pain is. So call for the free consultation. It's five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine. One more time. It's five one three eight four seven zero zero one nine fifty five krs. It is time your nine first morning weather forecast. Give me cloudy day to day. The rain's supposed to stop around eleven. To the extent you're getting any it'll remain cloudy the forty three for the high. Clouds over night down to twenty nine. A cloudy day tomorrow with the ayah thirty nine wark clouds over Thursday night with a little of thirty Also cloudy Friday, but also a chance of isolated snowshowers thirty seven the high on Friday it's forty right now in time for traffick up feet from.
Speaker 3: The UCL Traffic Center for Unmatched Cancer Care twos the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center, the only regional program offering proton therapy. Caught five one three five to eighty four beam southbound two seventy five A slow go from the Lawrence Perg ramp on to the Carrol Cropper Bridge, where the right lane is blocked off northbound seventy five. Break lights continue for an extra half hour out of Florence into downtown northbound four seventy one's backing up pass. Grand Cruise continue to work with Rex and Claremont County one thirty one At one thirty two, Chuck Ingram on fifty five KRC Deep Talk Station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifty five KC Detalk Station, A very happy Wednesday. I th you're talking with Todd Zenzer, a brilliant man. He is in so many matters. But we're talking about the Renspns Bridge, and we were talking about the origins of this this project. Okay, we all agree the Brent Spnce prizies we replaced. Now they're trying to add on and part of the additions involve additional road work to connect the west and with I guess the rest of the city. And there are a lot of activists behind this. You know, they say it was racism to build the expressway in the first place, because it destroyed you know, quote unquote affordable housing for many a lot of black people live there. I mean, we all have to acknowledge our history here. And even if it was that act of racism that destroyed that neighborhood, they needed to build the damn expressway. I don't know where else I seventy five would go if it isn't where it is now, because you had the railroads right there, and of course you couldn't move it over to the east because that's where the city is literally sitting. You knock down the crew tower back then, and so you can put ICE seventy five right through it. So that wasn't even within the realm of feasibility. But if you're going to redress that wrong, if we want to call it that by rebuilding this neighborhood, FC Cincinnati clearly had that in mind. Why else would they choose that neighborhood. You know, look, we got plenty of opportunity here. We build this, We're gonna have bars, we're gonna have restaurants, and we're gonna bring in housing. This sounds remarkably like what happened in Over the Rhine Now, I remember the early eighties when I worked in Over the Rhine. It has transformed dramatically, but also at the expense of getting rid of affordable housing. I mean, it's expensive for young urban hipsters to rent a condo by a condo or rent properties there, and that's one of the things that angered many of the residents. Regentrification comes at a high cost, and it ends up moving out people who used to call that an affordable neighborhood. So isn't that exactly what's going to happen here if we move forward with this. I'm not trying to negate the positives from the development. I'm not trying to say we need to choke off or keep that west end closed off and unusable. But it comes with the same sort of set of issues that Over the Rhine came with and comes with and will exist now. And haven't there been local activists who've been making the point that I'm making right now about this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the idea of taking neighborhoods and gentrifying them results in the residents being displaced placed. And if you go back to connective communities, you have three members of city council who voted against it, and that was their main concern is that the rezoning is going to displace people, It's going to bring in developers, who's going to put who are going to build housing that really aren't affordable, or people are going to be displaced, and the same thing goes. I mean, that is one of the biggest issues in the City of Cincinnati is how do we develop the city and take care that we don't displace people well.
Speaker 1: And add on to that, and I don't want to devolve too much, but I know the city has a lot of mandates and edicts with regard to how home are constructed. You know, you can or cannot have a parking space, or it must be built to certain energy efficiency standards. That kind of thing really significantly jacks the price up of any construction project.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes it does. And the idea that the city is struggling with this housing issue, I mean, I guess all cities do that, but the latest, for example, is a proposal from Mark Jeffries. He wants the city to use lots that it owns, vacant lots that it owns, and experiment with new modular homes for low income or affordable housing, like shipping container size homes. I don't know how big they are. All it said in the description was a modular which means you just come in and snap them together. But yeah, it's a struggle. It's a constant struggle about how to provide affordable housing to people and grow the city at the same time.
Speaker 1: Well, as we stare over the landscape, I saw an article globally speaking, housing is expensive. This isn't just the United States problem. It's just in a downtown. Since any problem, the cost of real estate has gone through the roof. And I think that's one of the reasons why I guess there's this push for these fifteen minute cities. They want everybody to live in a tiny micro space or mini house and take their bike to work or ride the public transportation system, which is another topic where I have to get to. It's the streetcar, because it's see the streetcar extension mentioned in connection with the reconfiguration of the brans Ben's Bridge project. Well, very high level, difficult to solve problems that Todd and I are working on this morning. Maybe we'll solve them before the judgement of Polatana Joins is at ay thirty. It's seven to forty five right now at fifty five ker Ce talk stations. So I can mention my favorite place, one of my favorite places around. It's twenty two through your Firearms located a Route forty two between Mason and Lebanon, Iamac Custom Remember there. I got my Christmas gift from twenty two to three. Thank you Wendy for your assistance in getting me my new Christmas gift. So it's under the tree where I'm not allowed to touch it until Christmas Day. That's my wife's rule, although I did actually touch it once. Anyway, got my own firearm from twenty two to three this year for Christmas. I'm really excited. I'm calling it my Red Rider. I just need a compass for the stock. I didn't see twenty two three carries those, but they carry a boatload of accessories in addition to the massive selection of firearms, handguns, rifles, and everything in between. They have the cleanest safest indoor range you'll ever be on. Range safety officers are there to keep everything minding their p's and queues so you're in a really safe environment. They offer training classes. You never picked up a gun, you want to learn how to fire one, they got a class for you. If you're an experienced shooter, you want to hone those skills, they have class for you for that. Everything in between on there as well. Membership options are available for the range and gift cards. So if you have someone in your life that already is a shooter and is looking to get some AMMO or some essories, or maybe just a gift card. It's twenty two three route forty two between Mason and leban and learn more online. It's the number twenty two fall by the word three spelled out twenty two to three dot com fifty five KRC. This genline's weather report says rain will move out by around eleven. We'll have overcast guys all day in a high forty three. Clouds continue all the way through Friday. So we have clouds tomorrow or tonight with lower twenty nine. Clouds Tomorrow with a high third our low high thirty nine with low of thirty over nine, more clouds and more clouds Friday with a high of thirty seven plus maybe some Flory forty Right now, it's time for traffics.
Speaker 3: From the UCUT Tramping Center for unmatched cancer Care. Choose the University of Cincinnati Cancer Center, the only regional program offering proton therapy called five one three five eighty four being south Pound seventy one continues. Slow fields are will pass the Reagan Highway north and west Pound two seventy five. Heavy out on Milford around the circle. But what one on north and south found two seventy five at the Carroll Cropper Bridge. It's a slogo right, lanes plopped off both sides. Chuck Ingramont fifty five krs. The talk station.
Speaker 1: Seven fifteen, think about KRCD talk station Brian Thomas with Todd Zinzer and studio talking complex issues, trying to put pen to paper and figure out what this brent S Benz Project's going to be like. And the more everybody in electric capacity talks about it, the more things get suggested added or opportunities to do some additional development. I learned a new concept over the break, and we're going to talk right now, real quickly about sacrificial slabs. I was thinking immediately sacrificial lambs, No sacrificial slab, Todd, you want to let my listeners know exactly what this is all about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the article in the Enquirer about all this talked about sacrificial slabs so that the infrastructure be able to accommodate a streetcar expansion. And I don't think they really mean sacrificial slabs. Sacrificial slabs are like roadways that are paved in a certain way that when you need to repave them, it's easier, So the slab that's down there can be easily taken up and resurfaced. Oh that's my understanding of sacrificial slabs. I think what they're talking about is something called future proofing or intermodal design, where they take a piece of infrastructure and they design it for more than one purpose, or for a future purpose. So, for example, I don't know what the overpasses into Queensgate that are being proposed. I don't know how they would have to be constructed or in what different way they would have to be constructed in order for the streetcar to be able to go over those overpasses in the future. That ever, that ever, managing the weight, for example, yeah, or yeah, the weight and the width of the overpass. How much room does the streetcar need to maneuver those types of things?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, so from a weight standpoint, I would think that if it can handle a long line of loaded semi tractor trailers, it could certainly manage a mostly empty streetcar.
Speaker 2: You would think, ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So the question is maybe how why the road is because of course, going back to your bike, we have to have a bike path, right, so you got to have that and pedestrian walking paths. So there's a little extra with right there. And then on top of that, maybe enough additional space you could run some railroad track on it, even though they didn't have to do that for the streetcar downtown Cincinnati. They just put the track on the road and the cars navigate around or behind or with the streetcar, which seems logical and reasonable.
Speaker 2: Right, So these overpasses will be new. So the idea of these planners is to make sure that you know, we're prepared to extend the streetcar if we ever, if we ever get that far. The problem I have with that is paying for it. Well, if you look at any of this, Brian, the only numbers that have been published is that the original plan for Queen's Gate or for this additional planning, would be like one hundred million dollars. Now, when a three point six billion dollar project that doesn't much, That doesn't seem like much, But that money is going to have to come from another source other than the money that's already devoted to the project.
Speaker 1: I mean, we'll get the Brown family to pay for it, since we built them the stadium.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So oh, Joe suggested railroad money. But see, Joe, that's for existing infrastructure, and I'm still waiting for them to pave to pay Sunset my favorite illustration of a neglected road that will literally throw your car out of alignment the moment you drive on it any number of feet. Hold, no one cares about price Hill Joe says, he's probably right. He is right.
Speaker 2: But now that you bring up the railway, the first thing that I thought about in terms of the they called it sacrificial slabbing, or I call it future proofing. Once you prepare that for the streetcar, does that make that existing infrastructure? And can we now extend that streetcar? Yes, over those overpasses because that infrastructure is existing.
Speaker 1: Of course, Because I feel very confident I have not read the documents. I don't know that I even have access to them. But the limitations on using railroad that railroad sale money were for use on existing infrastructure. And as you point out, anybody can make that argument once you build it with some other dollars, and you and I Todd, you more than anyone know. Money is fungible. So they got a pile of railroad money over here, they use this pile of money over here, could be in the same bank account for all I know. But no, no, no, no, that's not the railroad money. This is our taxpayer dollars from over here. This is the normal money we spent on infrastructure, and we're going to use that to build these future you know, with roads. And then once they're building, like, oh, there's the railroad money, we can use that because the road's built, it's existing. That I guarantee. That's the idea. Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's funny is the city Council earlier this month made a motion where they want the city to study They want the city administration to study this and get back to them in sixty days. So back in February, the City Council passed a motion to get a study on additional internal controls and safeguards for the railway money. So I was working with Crammerdine Jeff Grammerdine on that, and I wanted them to put a deadline in on their study or on their report, like sixty days. They didn't do that. So nine months later, does the city council have a report about how to strengthen the guideline and the internal controls and the railway money. No, they don't, but they want this, this plan for the for Queensgate done in sixty days.
Speaker 1: This is you know, it's also funny on a theoretical level if you just look like if we were just talking on completely theoretical bases, this would be downright high comedy. This is going on right now with real dollars at stake here and the future of the city at stake here, And I'm just wondering about the competency level of the people who are responsible for the decision making, if you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, what's interesting is that this Bridge Forward group who is pushing this plan for the for the Queen Skate area, they're affiliated with the Davoo Foundation. Somehow, I'm not sure exactly what the what the connection is. But the Davoo Foundation is the organization that's behind this, is expanding the street car.
Speaker 1: Hold the thought. We're out of time. In the hour, I gotta go. I'm gonna get the hairy eyeball from Joe. We'll continue with Todd Zenzer after the top of the art news your voice. Thank you for telling macall your country. It's refreshing.
Speaker 2: Hear it every day.
Speaker 1: Fifty five krs the talk station this report Dave sponsored bon By I got for Christmas. I got a radio one year and radio the toy that tells the story. It was like my friend fifty five k the talk station eight o six at fifty five kr see the talk station a very happy Wednesdays. Judgement and apoloton at bottom of the hour shoot the drones. Oh it's hilarious. Well, I think it's hilarious. Column obviously very very legally and constitutionally based. But we'll hear from the judge at bottom. Always look forward to that, and I sure hope you do too. Always remember when you can't listen to live, pull it up on podcast page fifty five kr se dot com. In the meantime, I continue, are we rather Todd Zinser and I continue our in studio conversation. We're going to continue talking about this project, the Brent Spenz Bridge project. Now, now I did learn that in spite of my out loud statement that nobody disagrees that the bridge itself needs to be modernized to the extend it can handle the additional traffic. It's obviously threefold more than it was when it was built. It's getting long in the tooth in terms of its life, and so that's why the federal government has agreed to expend what do you say, the allocation was one point one one point six billion. Now, we were talking about these delays, and there's been many delays over the years. How the what's the project going to look like? And then all these add ons that keep popping up out of nowhere. You meant in the Future Forward group, and you got mentioned the duvou Foundation now has got its hand in the cookie jar with all these additional proposals extensions. Oh we need to you know, extend it to get over to the west end, and blah blah blah. The original price tag for this Brent Spn sprint project was two point one billion.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think it was even lower than that years earlier, but well just a couple of years ago it was two point one.
Speaker 1: So as we move forward with no work done, the price obviously is increasing. I mean, if you just look at what the effect COVID supply chain issues and the cost of labor and inflation has done alone, that's how we now end up with a three point six billion dollar project, excuse me, which does not include any of these additional things that we have been talking about this morning.
Speaker 2: Right the modifications over the west, the Queensgate West in those types of areas.
Speaker 1: And sacrificial slabs and all these the do dads, the extras, the stuff and things. And you showed a really bright right light of reality over the break here that I think my lists need to hear because their probably a world in their eyes going, oh my god, this is going to be insane. How are you going to pay for this? Well, it may be that all this time and energy is just really talking about theoretical things, things that will not happen because the money is not there now, ignoring the railroad money complexities and whether or not this is going to become existing infrastructure or not. It isn't built yet. That's right, So you're not going to extend the streetcar line on a road if it isn't built, because there's no money for that either and no will or desire. But you mentioned that the price tag for any of this stuff would fall on Frankfurt and Columbus, the Ohio and Kentucky taxpayers, because the federal government has already issued its allocation.
Speaker 2: Right, there's a contract now that the governments of Ohio and Kentucky have signed with the general contractor. This is a design build, which means they got one outfit, both designing it and constructing it. The contract have been signed with that group, so they're not going to tolerate all a bunch of changes while they're trying to get the bridge.
Speaker 1: Belt fair enough, which means the conversations with these outside entities are are done more as a matter of courtesy, because yes, they're not going to happen because the money's not there.
Speaker 2: That's right. There's the Then what the State of Ohio and Commonwealth of Kentucky did at some point they told Bridge Forward that you're going to have to deal with the contractor. We're going to we're issuing a contract. Any changes you want, you're going to have to work it out with the contractor, and that that's what's been going on.
Speaker 1: Okay, And the contractor already knows what finite dollars it's working with because no one else is coming up with the additional dollars.
Speaker 2: And there's incentives on the contractor to save money. There's something called value engineering, which means that they need to continually look at their processes and their construction to squeeze out additional savings. They've got all of that in there.
Speaker 1: It's in their advantage to do that anyway, that's right. So that's where additional profit can come from.
Speaker 2: So what's happening with the Queensgate area is really going to boil down to a city issue. That's why the city council now once they study on this whole proposal, because they're going to wind up paying for it.
Speaker 1: Okay, But the Commonwealth and the state of Ohio are both And as much as I complain about Columbus, I can't imagine the Republicans in Columbus or the Republicans in Frankfurt agreeing to throw additional taxpayer dollar resources at any of these additional projects. I mean, are you with me on that? At least in terms of expectation.
Speaker 2: Yes, you look at how long this project has been coming for yeah, decades, and a lot of it was because of the lack of funding. So now they've got the funding they need for the bridge, and you're going to go back and try to get more after the State of Ohio and the Commonwealth are putting all of this money into it already, it's just not practical.
Speaker 1: It's not And the city doesn't own this project.
Speaker 2: Well, they absolutely do not own the bridge project and the act, the entrances and exits on the Ohio side, that's still part of the project. The modifications though to open up Queensgate and to make it more accessible to people from downtown, that's all the city's.
Speaker 1: Business, right that would be a city project as opposed to a federal sort of it's a quasi federal state project right now in terms of replacing the bridge and dealing with that that space. So has anybody pointed this out, the ones that continue to talk about all this extra stuff and things and delays that has the governor of the state of Ohio or the governor of Kentucky and I know we got that to deal with, but put their collective foot down and just said shut up. I mean, this is what we've already contracted this out.
Speaker 2: Actually, Governor DeWine made some kind of statement about, well, the people of Cincinnati should decide or something like that.
Speaker 1: Conscious pilots washing his hands. The whole thing is that it exactly well, he's got constituents they answer for, and that'll be the taxpayers in every other county in the state of Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the other thing to keep in mind on this Queen's Gate issue in the streetcar that the future proofing is what about metro. I mean, they raised our property taxes, or we agreed to raise our property taxes so we could have a more robust metro, and rather than use them going in and out of Queen's Gate, they want to put a somebody's thinking they're going to put a streetcar through there. It just it just doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 1: It doesn't I don't know how it can make sense to anybody. I mean, you know, before they built the damn streetcar, we were all saying, jeez, just look, make buses look like streetcars. They can go around accidents, they don't require the meeting. It's in upkeep that a street car does. They're not permanent fixtures in the ground. There's a traffic issue. The bus can take a left as opposed to going straight. You know, I mean it, This just makes more sense. They're they're they're immediately movable in terms of the roots they take. Yeah, so all these things keep coming back up.
Speaker 2: Yes, they do. And the issue with the with the Metro is that they only have like sixteen million dollars in operating revenue, but they opt their operating budget is almost one hundred and thirty million dollars. So the difference there is your are your property taxes. And the fact is I think if you look at what they're spending money on, they've probably got more money than they know what to do with. In fact, they are. They have some kind of grant program where they give money to jurisdictions to do things about Metro. I mean, they've got so much money now that they have this tax increase, that they're flush. They have no issues with money whatsoever.
Speaker 1: You're talking about metros Metro, Yes, yes, yeah, Well, and then I'll go back to the deteriorating nature of the infrastructure within the City of Cincinnati. Generally speaking, there's a listener out there that you should call in Fred and he's like, I just want my damn road fix. You know, look at they've got potholes all over. I just want my road fix. That's the constant refrain from the average person in the city. And my constant complained about I mean again, sunset my favorite illustration. That road looks like it's been through either Afghanistan war or it looks like it's from Syria and they just imported it as is, and it's looked that way for years. They let everything fall apart while they chase that for these shiny bright objects, when I think most taxpayers would be just comfortable with them keeping and maintaining what we've got already.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you, Brian, that that should be the use of the railway money.
Speaker 1: Let's pause from and we'll have one more with with Todd Zinzer and maybe we can talk about property taxes a little bit more. I don't know if you saw what happened the other day in Columbus. They had a piece of legislation to help maybe deal with this property tax reality, and well it just doesn't quite do enough. And I'm thinking, what are you gonna throw out the decent for the sake of the perfect they had a chance to do it. It's been laying around for years. But they're going on vacation, so they're going to start all over again next year. Hang on one more with Todd Zender before we get to judge anapollo time. It's eight sixteen right now for five casytoxication. I get to mention Cullen Colin Electric family in an operator for a long long time, a plus with a better business viewer. Andrew Cullen knows what he's doing in terms of running a company providing wonderful residential electric service and hiring a well oiled crew, well oil machine they are. They do work efficiently, they take great care of your home, and of course the price is always right when you have the electric work done by Colin Electric Outlet installation, that's an easy one. Have Culhin do it, but rewire your whole home to get rid of aluminum or knob in tube. Absolutely, they wired up my whole house generator, like to point out, and they did all the electrical work from a bathroom remodeling projects. Any electric project I've had done over the many many years has been done by Cullen. You'll be as happy as I am hiring them to do it. So they enjoy the A plus with a better business fare, a ten year wiring warranty on everything they do for you. Give them a call at five one three two two seven four one one two five one three two two seven four one one two Online it's Cullen spelled c U l l E N Cullen Electric Cincinnati dot com.
Speaker 2: This is fifty five KRC an iHeartRadio station. I think at Hunkolenoscopy tests.
Speaker 1: And Brian Thomas with Todd Zenzer, former Inspector General, knows what he's talking about when it comes to dollars and cents and managing projects and looking at them. And of course he spent the first three quarters of an hour last segment in this dealing with the Brent Spn's Bid Bid project and all of the dreams and stuff and things that others want to go along with it, which in the final analysis there's no money for. So when you hear people talk about all this, just remember there's no money for it, and it's not likely. I think maybe if a winning, a prayer or a miracle will happen, it may come from Columbus or Frankfurt, but I highly doubt that. And with Donald Trump taking over as president again in vvak Ramaswammy and Elon Musk at the Helm of Doge, I doubt we're going to see more federal money coming at this project. Either the contract's been signed designer build contract, they've already selected the contractor they've already got a signed contract to do it. It's a finite amount of money, so I guess let them talk. But as we talked through it, it really is a work of high comedy. And you know the use of the west or the west side. I do note that there are a whole lot of railroad lines over there, and those are still used to a ferry goods through the area. They're not getting rid of the railroads, are they no?
Speaker 2: Okay, Price Hill, Lower Price Hill, East Price Hill, West Price Hill. They're still going to be the other side of the tracks.
Speaker 1: All right, fair enough? Now moving over to property taxes, everyone soiled themselves when they got the reassessment after COVID. I know multiple people they had thirty percent increases and you got seniors out there complaining there fixed incomes and how can I handle this? They keep going up. We know the price of real estate's gone up as a natural reality. There is a solution. It must come from Columbus here in the state of Ohio. And there was a solution which sounded like a decent proposal to increase the homestead exemption right that would help seniors primarily primarily Yes, And it was signed, sealed, delivered that I think the House already even voter on it overwhelmingly. The only thing the Senate had to do was pick it up and sign it, and the governor probably would have signed it. But I read the statement of some senator that was Blessing, I can't remember who. I think he's to say, well, it really doesn't do quite as much or doesn't do enough. So in other words, we're going to go into another calendar year in another legislative session, and that means it's going to be thrown out and they'll have to start from scratch.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know exactly what Bill Blessing's concerns are, but most of the other politicians they probably don't want to put a fix in because it's going to reduce the amount of income coming into the state. I mean, politicians have a hard time saying no, we don't want more money from the taxpayers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know it's a systemic problem.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I think that the issues with the homestead exemption. As the House passed it, it had a cap of forty thousand dollars, so it was for It was basically designed for homeowners, longtime homeowners who are now on Social Security, and any property tax increases are going to hit those people.
Speaker 1: The heart artist, right, So that's why I thought it was. It was, you know, a small bite at the apple is better than nothing at all, and there may be some wild, grand solution the Blessing or somebody else has in the back of their mind. But the price tag on it, as I read it, was only like one hundred and ninety six million dollars. It really it didn't add it up to much at all when it comes to the amount of taxpayer dollars that got into Columbus. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I didn't see the numbers, so I don't know. It's worth talking of mister Blessing about see what his issues are, just see whether they can be fixed in the next session.
Speaker 1: Joe just said, yeah, I just get ready to say hey, Joe, so you can get him on the Morning show. He just he just uttered in my head said slim and none.
Speaker 2: That's too bad.
Speaker 1: I know it is, but we have that problem with a lot of politicians. So Todd, I love the fact that you're willing to talk about this. You unravel and unfold these quite complex and difficult issues and the easy to understand components, which is wonderful for me because you know, quite often, like when we started this conversation, this whole thing look like the peace of God passing all human understanding. And you of course got me past that. I know you helped out my listeners with it as well. And even if you're outside the city of Cincinnati, and this does affect northern Kentucky dramatically affects everybody in the greater Cincinnati area. But just as a concept, when you talk about government generally, and even just that point you made about politicians Republican Democrat, they cannot cannot stop the flow of money, and anything that's going to less than the amount of money that goes into their coffers they're going to be against. And I think we just hit the nail on the head in terms of the broader problems we face here in the country. Maybe that's where that thirty seven trillion dollar debt came from. Exactly, Todd. It's a wonderful man. Merry Christmas, you and yours I have wonderful holidays, and you and I will definitely talk next year. You're always welcome on the Morning show.
Speaker 2: Okay, Brian, thank you.
Speaker 1: Thanks brother e twenty five. Thanks for making it into the studio too. I really appreciate that. Folks. I hope you can stick around because Judge Edapolitan is coming up, and I will first mention a way to save you money. Get in touch with John Roman and his team that covers Sincy for medical insurance. You can call them up anytime. Just make the call and have the conversation, which will cost you literally nothing. And what they'll do is analyze what your medical insurance is, what you've got, you're out of pocket, liability and all the other elements, and they'll come up with a better way. Or if you get the news like Paul that and I got. Now, you guys are in the best place, we're not gonna be able to help you, which was great. That means we have the right insurance for our present needs. You may not. You may be paying way too much for what you got. You may have way too much out of pocket liability. There are a lot of people that won't even buy medical insurance because hell, I can't afford nine thousand dollars out of my pocket before they start paying bills. Call John and the team at cover Sincy. They work with hundreds of insurance companies, thousands of different policies. At their disposal, they can put a package together which can give you a dollar one coverage and you end up saving like thirty to sixty percent for what you're doing right now. The call is a simple one to make. It's five one three eight hundred call, no obligation again, and this is free. This isn't going to cost you anything. Five one three eight hundred two two five five. Or start the process by going to the website cover sincy dot com and there's a form there you can fill out and get the ball running rolling. So many of my listeners have done this, and I've seen a lot of comments on some very very very happy people. So coversincy dot com fifty five KRC in
Speaker 2: Today's Marketers Report, cape cronin