Speaker 1: Guys, when you guess goo, it's a max story. How about another.
Speaker 2: Game of really strong sound effect?
Speaker 1: There Guess Goo, of course, the America's favorite game of Mac and Goo creating. No one else has ever done this. We have been given cards from the other Billy d of a bunch of Mac and characters. Shuffle them up. John Lovett is in there, Mouse, Ghost life is beautiful.
Speaker 2: Gold, I'm in there. You're in there.
Speaker 1: What we have to do here, Mac is we will pick one of these cards, put it onto our boards, and the other person, one at a time, will ask questions to reduce the amount of card showing, and the person to guess the other person's main card first is the winner. You are up one nothing in the series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh what a comeback I had there. You were down to I believe two or three things left and I had like eight or nine. Yeah, and I sniped a guess.
Speaker 1: All right, So this is pretty much Mac and Go Guess who it's guess? Go all right, Mac, Let's pull a card.
Speaker 2: Yep, I'm gonna pull one from the middle here.
Speaker 1: And I guess since you one last time? Do you want to kick a receive?
Speaker 2: I want to ask a question first? You want to do that?
Speaker 1: Yes, Mac, is.
Speaker 2: Your person a real person?
Speaker 1: No? Okay, okay, flip some cards down there you go.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not a real person, so it's a fake person, right correct? Hold on, hold on, hold on, I'm in trouble here.
Speaker 1: Okay. Does your person, place, thing, or time of day that could all be on the card. Do they look like they would be good at coitus, like they could get the job done?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'd say so.
Speaker 1: Shit, Okay, so no, no, this is I don't think Life is Beautiful would get the job I've done? Mouse Ghost, No, I'll leave the mask of allbi Wan Kenobia. I think that might be able to do it. Silly Goss would Brendan Fraser wouldn't Babu Frick would dumb Pirate movies would not Meetball Summer would the janitor from Justice League that mop the Greats would not that fucking asshole Pistachio disguise, the quirky Romano and Shrek. I think all could.
Speaker 2: Yeah, judgment call on your on your end there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, go yes.
Speaker 2: Mac, there's your person or character or character that may be on your card. There is there any facial hair on that card? Why?
Speaker 1: Yes, there is Oh boy, Mac, is your person, place or thing human? Yes? Oh?
Speaker 2: Yes, goodbye? And have a human here?
Speaker 1: Goodbye, Babu Frick Shrek.
Speaker 2: Hey, can you tell me if Meatball Summer has is that Tony Hawk? Does he have facial hair?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: All right? I got seven things left here. Yes, I've got the commissioner from The Batman, I've got Nathan Lane from Mouse Ghost, I have Chris Pratt from Jurassic World Raptors practice silly shirt, I got the the Obi wan Kenobi mask, and I got Babu Frick left. Oh, and Pirates of the Caribbean the sex movie.
Speaker 1: It's not a sex movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah whatever it's called. Um boy, I don't think I can venture a guess yet. So do I like your thing? No?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, because I fear that you are getting close, I will venture a guess.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right.
Speaker 1: This is who I believe would also be good at coitus. Are you Wayne Knight?
Speaker 2: No? I am not Wayne Knight.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: I don't like this thing, so I like him. I like him. I like him. See now, I have like two fifty fifties here. I think you would say I'd like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know you at all, so keep that in mind.
Speaker 2: Are you the silly Goss T shirt?
Speaker 1: I am not? Oh shit, I will ask you this. Mac. Are you John Lovitz?
Speaker 2: No, I am not.
Speaker 1: Do you think John Lovitz could get the job done.
Speaker 2: Fifty to fifty? I was fifty to fifty on that I could. I wasn't sure. I left that one up to you. Are you the commissioner from the Batman?
Speaker 1: I am not whoa boy?
Speaker 2: I've in trouble here then.
Speaker 1: All right? Mac? Okay, are you silly Goss?
Speaker 2: I am not silly Goss.
Speaker 1: Silly Goss would get the job done, though seconds in a silly way. I kid tickler a little bit.
Speaker 2: All right, So I'm down to two here goo. And maybe it's the wrong too, Maybe we're lost in communication. Here are you the porgatory?
Speaker 1: I am not porgatory? Oh all right, don't say what. Don't say what you have left yet? I have one more chance to get it.
Speaker 2: I have one thing left.
Speaker 1: I have one chance to get it. Okay, are you Michael Keaton?
Speaker 2: No, I'm not Michael Keaton. Cud this is the only thing I have left. So maybe they we crashed wires. Here are you Nathan Lane's mouse ghost no, Oh, I am not really fucked up here. I got no things left?
Speaker 1: Is it me?
Speaker 2: It's you?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 2: Yes. I don't know if you won though, because I got no things left?
Speaker 1: Who was?
Speaker 2: Who were you?
Speaker 1: Why do you knock down another dumb Pirates of the Caribbean movie?
Speaker 2: Oh? I like that.
Speaker 1: You like the idea of another stupid Pirates movie?
Speaker 2: I was thinking of a sex movie there, that's why.
Speaker 1: No, that's just called Pirates.
Speaker 2: I purposefully knocked that one down. You're right, I knocked that down. I should have got that all right. One one? You won?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did have you in your in your thor T shirt, whatever the fuck you wearing there.
Speaker 1: What a great win for me. And thank you for all the for all the confidence that you have in me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that you can get the job done.
Speaker 1: One good three?
Speaker 2: Yeah, job three.
Speaker 1: King of Queen Mall Street.
Speaker 2: Entertainment, I'm go and I'm man.
Speaker 1: And we are the Mac and Goo program. Guess Goo is tied up at one apiece?
Speaker 2: Yeah, unfortunate. I should have won that. That was it was in my hands. You kind of butchered the question asking I fucked that one up.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Do you think that I butchered it, or you didn't. You didn't read the car I wasn't.
Speaker 2: I wasn't fully aware of what that pirates thing was. You were, I was not. But that's on me. I should have been I should have asked.
Speaker 1: That's fine, so blame me for that. That's fine.
Speaker 2: I should have had a sidebar there to clarify what that was that one.
Speaker 1: I would have answered it.
Speaker 2: That's fair. Uh. Goo, the folks at home we are today. I don't know if we've done this before. You correct me if I'm wrong. We're discussing a musical today. Have we done a musical?
Speaker 1: You've done Mean Girls? I talked for one second about Hamilton. I think it might be it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Hamilton doesn't really count because it was just a recording on the stage play. It was Mean Girls counts.
Speaker 1: I've been asking for years to do Grease too, and you won't do it. Yeah. I'm also and you claim to love musicals, I do. You're a phone and you're a big fat phony.
Speaker 2: Maybe we got further evidence here today we are discussing Wicked. Wicked, Uh just called Wicked, but technically part one and it is subtitled in the cards in the movie theater and Goo there was, so I went on a Monday afternoon, so it was not an empty theater, but not a lot of people there. There were folks in there stunned by the fact that this was a part one, and I don't blame them. I don't blame them. If the stage play is only two or three hours, I could understand why someone would be stunned that it's a part one. On the flip side, they were they announced that there'd be two parts. I don't know six months ago, a while ago, a long time ago.
Speaker 1: We had that in news dump and at the time I said, I'm not going to watch this, but here we are.
Speaker 2: Goo Wicked Part one, Part EH is a PG musical fantasy and romance couple sub genres here fairy tale, which I agree with, yeah, and pop musical, so I don't really agree with.
Speaker 1: No, because they sang on set, right.
Speaker 2: I think it was like ninety percent on set singing.
Speaker 1: Because I would say pop musical if they then added the vocals in after.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I also feel like pop musical and jukebox musical. Jukebox musical is sort of the same, like it's current pop music, which this is not whatsoever. I think it maybe guess just because Ariana Grande is involved, maybe.
Speaker 1: That's why she's a pop singer. I get it.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure, dude. This movie has a run time of one hundred and sixty minutes two hours and forty minutes. It is, at least in my perspective, and this is where we're gonna differ here, it felt like half that time.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you the question, though, how long are the songs?
Speaker 2: So there's a couple extended things, but I felt like they did a really good job of having plot scenes and songs here and there. It wasn't full blown musical the entire time.
Speaker 1: Because I'm gonna break it to the people right now, and maybe I'm not the best person to be talking about this movie. I don't always care for yous. I liked. A couple of years ago. I preferred the Andrew Garfield musical that came out at that time. No, what was that one called Click Click Boom?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that was essentially a biopic of the gentleman that wrote or produced Rent, created Rent, and it was somewhat of a musical. It got it. I didn't mind that, But to me, that's nowhere near this.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed that more and then my go to musicals. I always joke about Grease too, but I do really love Grease one. I do like Grease too, but I like those because the songs are really short and punchy. You get in, you get out, you get right back on with the story. My favorite part of Wicked is there was an extended period of time for like twenty to twenty five minutes where there was no music and I was getting back into it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Good story, really good story here, and especially because we know the end game, so trying to figure out how they navigate there. And actually, to your point, for any listeners at home that may not have the bad here, you and I do not know the story of Wicked. You know the story of the Wizard of Oz. We know that the stage play Wicked is based on a book, but we don't actually know the ins and outs of the story. We just know the story of the Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 1: All I know is Kristin Chenow and a Dina Menzel.
Speaker 2: Correct Chennow played Glinda. Adina Menzel played Alpha. But I believe Wicked came out in two thousand and four, I want to say, was when it first hit Broadway. And an addendum to that and aside is I would consider myself a fan of musicals. You don't really like musicals, every once in a while one gets you.
Speaker 1: Also, I've said in the past, and I stick by this, don't love witches. But I think that has more to do with telling that same old Salem witch story. Like this witch story didn't bother me as much.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, this is like has witch stuff and there is a prime witch, but it's not really a witch story. This is a story, and I think this is one of the strengths of this story and the movie, which ties into the Wizard of Oz a bit. But this is a story about an outsider or a story of It's a story that a lot of people can relate to in one way or another. It might have gone through something similar when they were a young person and could really relate to the story or the emotions at the core of this whole thing.
Speaker 1: But I do question, and I ask, like, what do people major in when they go to shiz because there seems to only be one magical person there some like one other person that wants to know magic. There's like four majors, So what like what else is there? What's your major bro, Yeah, I'll tell you.
Speaker 2: I think my biggest gripe about this movie is that it's called shizz. I really didn't care for that. Don't like that, don't like saying it, don't like hearing it, don't like anything around that. That's just it's not fun to say. It's not like Francisco Francisco.
Speaker 1: We also spend all and maybe you thought it was like an appropriate amount of time a lot of time at hizz.
Speaker 2: Oh. I'd say appropriate amount of time for a two parts. So if this was one part, it would have been too much time because we're spending two or we're getting two motion pictures here go. I think we spent an appropriate amount of time and probably could have spent more, to be honest with you, But I think there was a good amount of time there and a necessary amount of time there to build the relationship between Glinda and Alphaba.
Speaker 1: Because things really kicking to gear when we get the perfectly cast Jeff Goldbloom on the screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that's that's the other part here is from the Wizard of Oz. We know the Wizard of Oz got of a son of a bitch? Oh really, No, looming large over everything here.
Speaker 1: We've all seen James Franco's Wizard of Oz. We know he's just a con man.
Speaker 2: Uh Goo, Yes, Wicked part oon on Roddy T's ninety percent from the critics, ninety seven percent from the audience. So everyone is liking this movie except for Go on Metacritic of seventy three, which is very good. But I would say, after seeing this and after you know, thinking about the all time great musicals, probably a little low from my perspective. From my opinion, this movie is written by Winnie Holtzman, who is the creator goo of the show called My So Called Life. That's Jared Leto and Claire Dane's show from the nineties. Believe it only had one season, right, you know what.
Speaker 1: That really actually fits? That makes complete sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's there's a there's an underneath here, an emotional part here, a romance type of story here that kind of ties.
Speaker 1: To that, right, and like not only that, but like you know, youthful drama, an outsider trying to fit. It really does fit.
Speaker 2: And also someone of that age group that would have probably really loved Wicked, you know, eight years later, whenever that the timeframe is here. The second writer here is da Dana Fox, the more Hollywood typewriter, a writer on the wedding date. What happens in Vegas? Couples Retreat, Corella Goo loved Corilla and the Lost City, so lots of lots of action there. And of course this movie is based on the mute musical Wicked, which was written by Stephen Schwartz who did I think the music part of it? And of course Winnie Holtzman, who we just talked about. And that musical is based on the book by Gregory maguire. Gregory McGuire's book Wicked is essentially, for lack of a better term, Wizard of Oz fan fiction right, loved the Wizard of Oz and wrote a backstory between the Wicked Witch of the West and Glinda wrote a prequel. Yeah, that's really what it came from. And that book was written by l. Frank Baum l FB Alpha Bah. That's where that character's name comes out.
Speaker 1: No way, Yeah, just learned something I did?
Speaker 2: How about that? This movie is directed by John M. Chew. You would know him from Step Up two, Step Up three, d G I Joe Retaliation Now you see Me too. They just finished wrapping the third one there, Crazy Rich Asians, which I still haven't seen it, but you really enjoyed that, and also in The Heights. So John M. Chew is sort of becoming this golden goose of sorts for these more theater related Hollywood blockbusters, and he's honestly done a very good job over the last decade plus. He's really become an it director, and it's honestly impressive at this point, especially considering the last three he's done that he's been able to handle the task at hand upcoming for him. He's got four projects he's working on.
Speaker 1: Swit's Family Robinson.
Speaker 2: So it's family Robinson. Interested in that.
Speaker 1: All I could think about though, is on Parks and Reck when Tom sees Ron's hat, the raccoon has like sweets family Robinson, let me get that hat.
Speaker 2: Also doing part two of Wicked. He's in production on Crazy Rich Asians too, and also another stage play turn movie, Joseph and the Amazing technicol Or Dream Cup.
Speaker 1: No, thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I actually don't know any bit of the story there. Maybe you do. You were more closely involved with theater nerdship in high school than I was, so you know, not.
Speaker 1: Only that I grew up with my brother who loved all of these musicals, and my sister also enjoyed them. So I was dragged to so many playhouse musicals as a child, and I think by the age of fourteen, my parents finally stopped taking me.
Speaker 2: Also, the biggest development for me this past week was finding out that your brother did not see this movie on opening night. I thought for sure.
Speaker 1: I never asked him. I'm pretty sure he didn't see it, though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's absolutely stunning. This is so far up his alley. Synopsis for Wicked Alpha Ba, a misunderstood young woman because of her green skin, and Glinda, a popular girl, become friends at his university in the Land of Oz. After an encounter with the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, their friendship reaches acrossroads. This movie stars Cynthia Arrival as Alphaba, the Green Witch, Ariana Grande as Glinda. What turns into like the nice Witch? What is she called?
Speaker 1: Well, she's the Goodie two shoes in this one, but yeah, she's the good Witch of the North.
Speaker 2: Whatever it is. She's the one that wears pink. That's how you would know her. Jeff Goldbloom as the Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Michelle Yo as Madame Morrible, which is a really, I mean, real lazy name when you when you think about it, Jonathan Bailey as Fierro, Even Slater as Bach Ethan Slater, Goo, I don't know if you knew this, you might you might be up to speed on this Ariana Grande's real life. Yeah friend.
Speaker 1: So as soon as as soon as his uh puss popped up on screen, my uh, my wife immediately soon my wife immediately told me that's the guy that cheated on his wife for Ariana Grande.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which totally understand that. I'm pretty sure they met on this set. That's how it came to be. But yes, that's how you would know. Ethan Slater as Aria. And then I said his boyfriend, that guy, right, Yeah, it gives us all hope. Okay, gives us all hope.
Speaker 1: That's that's okay.
Speaker 2: Uh and just adds yet another weird thing on Ariana Grande's hit list. She's had a very bizarre dating history. She's a bizarre person. That's that's just what she is.
Speaker 1: I don't care for her eyebrows in this movie.
Speaker 2: Very blonde, yes, very blond. Good Marissa Body Asnessa Rose that's Alphaba's sister. Peter Dinklage as Doctor Dilamonde. He's the Goat Professor.
Speaker 1: And that's who the voice was. I didn't do any research on this movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and actually a subdued Peter Dinklage for once, because sometimes he's really really overdoing it.
Speaker 1: What was the deal with the animals?
Speaker 2: That's a legit question.
Speaker 1: What's going on?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 2: We don't go? We're learning as we go here. I guess Andy Nyman as Governor Thropp that is Alpha Ba and Neessa Rose's father. Bow and Yang is Piphany, who was delightful every time he was on screen. And Bronwin James as Sheshen, the other half of Piphany, who are Alpha Glinda's like two right hand folks there got This movie is obviously set up to succeed based on everything we know right and has a built in audience from the stage play. But additionally, anyone that's seen The Wizard of Oz, so pretty much every person on this planet that's been born in the last hundred years, there's something here for you to like, grab onto or or be interested in.
Speaker 1: I'll also say this too, and I know that I've been, you know, kind of indifferent to most of it, but a lot of credit does need to be given to the amount of detail, costumes, choreography. I did not like the Wonka movie, but I could also.
Speaker 2: Point to I only made it two minutes in.
Speaker 1: Though I don't like the singing in the Wonka movie, I don't like Timothy Shalomey's voice, and it's super whimsical, and I don't think that's funny, like it tries to be funny by being whimsical. This movie also whimsical, but it has a little more charm and everyone here can sing yeah.
Speaker 2: So I I would say two major things here is obviously the built in audience is a thing, but also the flip side of that is, because it's so popular, the possibility of hu, the possibility of people flipping on it the way people do in popular ips existed, and they do such a good job handling this that that doesn't happen here. And number two, to your point, they got two of the best singers on the planet to play the two main roles here, and that goes a really long way because the biggest gripe that people had with this Year's Mean Girls is that Katie Heron could really sing, and that's really hard pill to swallow when it's a fucking super popular musical. So what did they do. They got Cynthia Rivo, who we've seen a handful of times before and other singing things absolutely crush it. And then one of the biggest pop stars on the planet. And I gotta say, on the point of Ariana Grande, I don't know if you were aware of her before she was a singer. I remember her from her Nickelodeon days, on Victorious on Sam and kat whatnot, so I remembered her as an actress. Think there's a lot of people on this planet, a lot of fans of her that don't really have any idea that she could act and was capable of this. To me, gou, she was by far the best part of this movie. She's what makes this story go because the character of Glinda. Glinda is so central to like being the foil to Alpha back, and that could have flipped and been really, really not good. But the way she plays this character is amazing.
Speaker 1: I did have an issue sometimes when she was singing, I couldn't understand what she was saying. She obviously has amazing vocal range, but doesn't over purposefully.
Speaker 2: A couple times she was just basically making noise, okay.
Speaker 1: And then the main question that I had throughout most of this movie is what animal would make the best obstetrician, because at the beginning of the movie we see a bear helping a woman give birth. Is the bear really the best animal to be pulling a child out of?
Speaker 2: You now agreeed on that? And I think in general to your point about the animals, this is what I couldn't stop thinking about. In a society and a culture filled with animals that are functioning in everyday society, they become mundane, I guess, although they are sort of outsider, so I get that. Why then would a green person shock people so much? If there's bears delivering babies, why would a green human being be so wild? You know?
Speaker 1: By the way, and orangutan was the answer that'd be the best obstetrician?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not bad.
Speaker 1: Can you think of another one, something less hairy? I would thumbs, as I would say, you need thombs, you need good hands, good strong hands.
Speaker 2: Oh, I think you're all around it.
Speaker 1: Guys tweet at us right now, Let us know what animal you would let either if you're a woman, you would let help you give birth, or you would let your wife or whoever you've knocked up that animal. What animal do you want to get in there?
Speaker 2: By the way, if you've made it this far and are looking for if you're deciding between Gladiator two and Wicked this this week, this next couple of weeks, this holiday season, to me, it's not even close. The Wicked easily, and you know, Gladiator is maybe easier for the more common theater goer. If you're a fan of movies and have liked musicals in the past, it's Wicked by a mile.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you like musicals, go with Wicked. And then I don't even know if I would. I mean, I think that Gladiator too is fun enough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we gotta two is not really a recommend, it's just like, yeah, you probably won't hate it.
Speaker 1: Those are my only notes on Wicked. So the floora is yours?
Speaker 2: Do you want to get into the nanagone octagon?
Speaker 1: Sure, let's get into the noan agone fun factor. And I do agree with that. Ariana Grande, I think she is having fun and that's.
Speaker 2: Having a blast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that allows you to have fun with her. I do think I can't really remember any of the songs, but the choreography that goes with the one in the library that was pretty fun.
Speaker 2: Oh that library. That stage design, that's set fucking awesome, very cool. Yeah, Like I said, Grounde's unbelievable here. She's truly the driving force behind the movie and the fun. Arriva is great, Don't get me wrong, She's great. She's not showing as much range, I don't think, but for anyone that likes a musical, musicals are inherently fun. There's fun factor built in and if it's done well, you're you're gonna have fun. I think to your point though, the music in this movie and this is maybe what's keeping it from being like an elite level type of musical. It's not as memorable or not as catchy as it can be, and it has and it has been for other top tier musicals. I think there's two really popular song popular Wizard and I Wizard and I is good. So that was the opening number, and then define gravity obviously at the end.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So there's two maybe three that are really really good, but not really songs that are earworms. Other than popular.
Speaker 1: When you're leaving there, there's no grease lightning, there's no bowling, there is no summer Lovin Grease Lightning, go grease the CHICKSI Cream. Oh. Also, I love Jeff Goldbloom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff Gooldbloom's obviously factor.
Speaker 1: I think some people don't like one thing about the movie, but I actually really like an origin story that we find out here. We can talk about it in spoilers. But okay, that was kind of satisfying. Other than that, though there were some I found some lulls in this movie that I could have just moved past.
Speaker 2: But I was pretty satisfied by what we got. And again, like, so this story is essentially how those two witches came to be and how they end up playing in the Wizard of Oz and their connection in some background on Oz itself. I was pretty satisfied by that. And we're only halfway through, essentially, maybe two thirds through.
Speaker 1: Do we find out in the second movie that Alphabeth's sister is also a witch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's an interesting thing there, I gotta because.
Speaker 1: She's the Wicked Witch of the West, the Wicked Witch of the East has a houseland on.
Speaker 2: Her Alphaba's sister by far the worst character in the movie.
Speaker 1: Not great, she sucked.
Speaker 2: The way she's written, the way it's acted.
Speaker 1: I find like Ron Weasley either, what the fuck the guy's name is Ariana's plus one? Yeah, speaking as a plus one, don't you dare?
Speaker 2: He's much better than Wiels, no doubt, no doubt in my mind, I think the conclusion of this movie was like the best of both worlds. We got a strong somewhat close to this part of the story while getting that leaping pad, that that that you know, that next action into the next part of the story. And to me, that's all you would needed in this part one.
Speaker 1: I would also say that, say, if you didn't want to watch part two, this serves as a jumping point just into The Wizard of Oz too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that could work as well, which is why I think probably why they just called it wicked right because this it worked in and of itself.
Speaker 1: I think they called it wicked because because the character is the wicked witch of the.
Speaker 2: Web minus the Part one is what I was.
Speaker 1: Saying, Borometer, I was bored, not one second for me, not one second, Halloween. Will your love of this movie wayne over time?
Speaker 2: So I'm interested to see how this goes. I just saw it today. The things that make musicals stay in your head and continue to go on forever and make you want to watch again is truly the music. Right, You're not gonna going back to musicals for the acting, and other than defying gravity here, there's not much keeping me coming back. So I do think this will ween Wayne a little bit. So I am prepared for that.
Speaker 1: Awe quarter World. Is this film better or worse than the nineteen ninety five classic water World? And for me, I'd probably rather watch water World. I'm not saying that it's better, but I'd rather watch it good.
Speaker 2: I was prepared for you answer. If you want to read what I have written here, what's that saying?
Speaker 1: And I quote, fuck you, dickhead.
Speaker 2: I was very prepared for your for your answer on this.
Speaker 1: One credit union Mac, who are you giving credit to?
Speaker 2: I've talked about it sixteen times already. Are in a grande to the eth degree here. She's phenomenal and I don't think anyone, I don't think any of us have ever seen her displaying this sort of talent. And obviously she's a phenomenal singer. We saw her on Nickelodeon shows. I haven't seen her act this well ever in my whole life, and she's tasked with doing a lot. Here. She's showing the most emotion. She's singing and dancing obviously live on set. Her character obviously is super unique and interesting and quarcky bright. Yeah, and she's able to pull all of those notes off. The little hair flips were just such a good touch. Like, she's great, she's phenomenal on.
Speaker 1: This and honestly, that's fine.
Speaker 2: She doesn't get nominated for everything she should be nominated for. She should win awards for this role good.
Speaker 1: She might win a Golden Globe in the category of comedy or music Music I would say that's where she might. Like. I don't think she's gonna get like an oscar or anything for this.
Speaker 2: She should be nominated, though she absolutely should be.
Speaker 1: Do any of the songs qualify for an oscar because they're not original?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there might have been an original number in here, but we wouldn't know.
Speaker 1: Just to sneak it in to get an oscar.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's probably why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Okay, uh, Plembonade. When life gives you plemins Jesse, plemonade makes you Lemonade and Chew. I think that Chu did a great job of having this bright. I don't always love the tint of the movie. I think sometimes it looks a little too processed for me. But this all looks like one movie.
Speaker 2: Go Bloom obviously, but he is always an obvious candidate for Plemonade. I thought Bowen Yang was very funny every time he said something. And I don't know, I don't know if I just didn't know Bowen Yang was in this movie. I was like happy to.
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't see it. Yeah, I didn't know either. Also, I just flipped the things around. I'm giving credit Union to Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wasn't gonna call you out on that.
Speaker 1: No, call me out next time, go ahead do it.
Speaker 2: Oh and Yang right at the very beginning too, it's like we need a pastry, get her a pastry that killed me. Everything he said was very funny.
Speaker 1: Pants tent City, Excite, bike Mania, What got you going in this movie? Like I said, there is a twenty ish minute stretch where there's no real music and it's just them laying down what their plans are. And we got the origin to something that I, for some reason wasn't expecting but I was like, shit, I like that.
Speaker 2: Yep. I think that's a good point. So my two major issues here gu is that the music isn't as elite as the best musical get to and maybe theoter nerds can argue it I have a read it if they would like the second thing there is. I do think the conclusion is pants tent ish, but it is sort of lacking that tent pole scene right. The end number is very good, borderline great. I really enjoyed it, but outside of that, it does quite have anything like that.
Speaker 1: For those of you tarty to the Mac and Goop party, we rate everything on a forty hot dog rating system. Mac I shall be short and sweet, unlike this movie and it's songs.
Speaker 2: Fuck you.
Speaker 1: I hate doing this. I'm not the audience for this movie. I hate saying I.
Speaker 2: Don't fret about that, because there's listeners we have here. There's probably people listening right now that feel very much like you. There are certainly musicals that people just aren't musical people. And then on top of it, I think a movie like this draws people to it that naturally aren't into musicals, but they're like, oh, it's so popular, I'll go see it, and I think that's sort of where you're at.
Speaker 1: I need a shorter story, I need shorter, punchier songs. I also like a more realistic look to what I'm watching. This didn't have that realistic look. The whole animal storyline I didn't really care for. I thought both of the leads were great. A lot of the supporting actors were also very good. None of the songs really stuck with me, and just that run time man I felt it and dear Lord so well. I do think it's better than say, Wonka that came out last year. That was a real tough sit through. I'm not allowed to give it an NA right and not applicable no, No twenty seven hot.
Speaker 2: Dogs Okay, so like C minus Yeah. Range for the folks at home, For people that are maybe feeling similar to you, what's the lead mark, what's the leader in the clubhouse? For somewhat modern musicals you look to obviously we all like Greece. Would it be like a Starsborn type of thing for you?
Speaker 1: That wasn't really a musical though, that's more of a of a pop musical than anything else.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure, but I mean it is a musical. I mean there's a whole album that they play throughout the movie. You know, what would you look to?
Speaker 1: I like that because I didn't really like Chicago. Dream Girls wasn't for me. Cabaret is from a while ago. I do like Cabaret. I hated La La Land.
Speaker 2: Yeah, La La Land's stunk was the one. And I'm a musical guy and I didn't like a lot of the land.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's the one with Christina Aguilera and cher Moulin Rouge.
Speaker 1: No, because they weren't in that.
Speaker 2: That's Nicole Kidman.
Speaker 1: Oh dream Girls. That wasn't dream Girls.
Speaker 2: No dream Girls.
Speaker 1: No, I know what it is. Damn it share Christina Aguilera because it's terrible.
Speaker 2: They might be rebooting it.
Speaker 1: I think it's Oh burlesque. That's actually the first episode of how did this get made?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Is it?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Very interesting? Uh cup wicked to me? And this is I'll talk about the non musical part real quick to me. The story is inherently interesting, intriguing. It's a story of contrast, you know, rich poor, high low left right, complete opposites between Alphaba and Glinda. That works so well, and I think that gets punched up because of the performance from Ariana Grande. I was particularly gripped by it because I think I'm actually the audience for this movie, more so than the people that loved the player read the book. I was particularly gripped by the story because I don't actually know what happens in the story, so I come into it wanting to like it because I love the Wizard of Oz and I know the end game, and I'm trying to figure out everything in between. So it keeps you intrigued as to what will come. So I think I'm I'm the ideal audience for this movie. The practice sets, the practical sets are really good. They don't use a ton of CGI in here. The costumes are very good. All that shit has done really well, and that's credit to John Chew for sure. Although the music isn't the most memorable outside of popular and defying gravity, I don't think it distracts from the movie. It works with context, very well done. I think the best scene outside of the conclusion is that library scene. The library is fucking super cool, very cool, spin and shit. That thing was awesome to me. This movie flies by two and a half hours felt like one and a half for comparison, Gladiator two is almost the exact same length, and that felt like five hours. That felt twice as long to me. There's no time wasting in here. You disagree. This is my number five movie on the year. Gu I have this at thirty six. Hot Dogs might go up one at mic go down one. I think I've seen thirty seven movies on the year, so it's it is firmly up there. It does have a chance to, like I said, Linger, maybe go up a spot, maybe go down a spot. It's one of the best musicals I've seen in a long time, and I'm really really looking forward to part two. They gave you enough in this movie to satisfy you and keeps you intrigued as to what the second part is going to be the conclusion to this story. And ultimately this feels like even though it's a part one and part two, this movie probably feels like the first two acts of the full story, right, Like the second movie is going to be the third act, you know, drawn out, a.
Speaker 1: Little, stretched out, super long. Also, I don't care for The Phantom of the Opera, but I like the Iron Maiden medley from that musical. It's very good.
Speaker 2: Big musical guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's guy. Should we do a little bit of spoilers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't really have anything.
Speaker 1: I have two things here. I love the Flying Monkeys.
Speaker 2: Five Monkeys are great.
Speaker 1: They gave me a jump scare.
Speaker 2: And you know what, one of the most intriguing things is going forward is how Alpha Ba gains trust of the Flying Monkeys.
Speaker 1: Right. Also, so she is, by the way, she's the good guy in this she is.
Speaker 2: So I guess the main spoiler here is this movie. This this story flips everything we expect on its head. And you know what, Glinda's not even really the bad guy. She's sort of the third party operating outside of.
Speaker 1: What this makes though, is that Dorothy is the bad guy because Dorothy kills the good guy Glinda.
Speaker 2: And this is why I love Ariana Grande so much, because if she the first half of the movie, if she plays that role the whole time, one note is what it is does a good job. But when she makes that flip and her and Alpha BA actually get along, dude, Aarona ground, that's such a good job. I can't I can't underscore it enough. Like if she doesn't get nominated for everything, it's a disservice. She's incredible in this movie. She's so good.
Speaker 1: So for the wicked Witch of the West to love animals and trying to protect their freedom. She also tortures a ton of monkey servants, not on purpose, but she did it, so that's on her soul.
Speaker 2: But also maybe they ultimately wanted it. It's small, small torture for you.
Speaker 1: I feel like one of the monkeys wanted it. The other ones all just got dragged in.
Speaker 2: The other ones are like, fucking Dave said something about wings. Now we all got wings.
Speaker 1: Ay, this guy's always talking about floating and now we're all stuck with wings.
Speaker 2: I thought it was a very good reveal, even though we knew it was coming. To figure out the Wizard of Oz clearly doesn't have any powers. I think it's still unclear. We assume not. But Michelle Yeo's character also doesn't have powers.
Speaker 1: Right, No, she does not. She was just there to trick.
Speaker 2: But eventually Glinda does have powers.
Speaker 1: Or does Glinda in the way of the Wizard and deceive.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Maybe, So that's one of the big questions going forward. So the first five minutes of this movie is Munchkintown.
Speaker 1: Well, also an Easter Egg of the Yellow Brick Road in Dorothy, Scarecrow, ten Man, and Lion, Yeah, walking on it.
Speaker 2: So the first five minutes is everyone's celebrating the death of Alphaba, and Glinda's there to celebrate as well. So you're like, how do we get from the end of this movie? So back there? Like what happens exactly? And moreover, does Glinda actually have powers? Because and the Wizard of Us she does.
Speaker 1: And also in this she's using some kind of a floating transportation and a bubble that goes over it with a lot of physical action with it. So I'm not even sure if she has any powers. Yeah, she may, though she also might not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so I'm interested because we know endgame Wizard of Oz exit all three exist other than Morrible, so maybe they kill Morrible at the end of two's character.
Speaker 1: Oh, I was like, I don't know who Morrible is, Madam Morrable. And then also the entire animal storyline, I did not need it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you understand why it's there, right, It's Alphaba identifies with their plight and it just it works for me. But I get what you're saying. It's it's a lot, it's on the nose Goo. You know who I really liked. We have who is Sierra the love interest of Glinda. That little tid that's a nice little thing they threw in there as well, and another job well done by Ariana and those scenes. I just really liked what this movie did and what it sets up and go. When we talked about this a few days ago, when you had already seen it, It's not like I was super excited for this. I wasn't down. I was just like kind of went in middling. I was expecting to enjoy it, not love it. I bort Aline loved this movie. I fucking really really enjoyed my time.
Speaker 1: I'll say this, I'm happy for you. Thanks, Thanks man Easter egg Do you think that the baby lion that was saved by Alphaba and that gentleman Sierra, because the lion's a little scared, does that lion turn into the cowardly lion?
Speaker 2: I didn't think about this. You mentioned this to me right before we started recording. That's a great little tidbit there. It's gotta be right.
Speaker 1: And that's why I went and saw this. I'm like, I'm just looking there for Easter eggs. Get my peepers.
Speaker 2: I enjoyed that. I enjoy that little thing, and I'm looking forward to I'm sure there'll be a new rock Stars breakdown or something like that. We'll point out more shit like that. And I'm also looking forward to trying to avoid as many spoilers as I can about the book and this story and the stage play, so I can go into the second movie as raw as I did for this movie.
Speaker 1: Don't say it like that. They're not gonna like it, rock They're not gonna let you into the theater next time.
Speaker 2: I am here for the raw version. No get out, sir, Let's get into.
Speaker 1: And MAXAK could be anything. It could be a boat. I was thinking about this earlier. By the way, if any of our listeners name their boats a sack, please send that in.
Speaker 2: You think people listening to us got boats?
Speaker 1: Come on, I've always been told that the buying a boat is the worst investment possible. Once it hits the water, half its price right there.
Speaker 2: I mean that's a car. Boats were similar.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you this, Once a car hits the water, all of its value was gone.
Speaker 2: At least boats can last like forty fifty years, So I mean you get that going for it. I almost bought a boat when I was like twenty four with one of my old college roommates. We were both young lads, like, yeah, no'll be sick having chicks on a boat. Neither of us knew.
Speaker 1: Because of the implications.
Speaker 2: We knew nothing, no one. We didn't know how to drive the boat. We didn't know where to get a boat. We didn't we didn't know a fucking thing about boats. But we were like, let's split a boat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say on that. When I was like roughly twenty and I was an electrician just looking to burn my money, I was like, I kind of want to buy a boat. Luckily I did not do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would have been happy to party on your boat, though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would have been a fishing vessel. I would have shrimp on there.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's funy. I mean, that's the type of people we were in our early mid twenties. We were looking to buy boats just to party on for no other reason.
Speaker 1: I was gonna fish. I wasn't gonna party. I was gonna fish. Sure, Yeah, all right, Mac, your sack could be anything In this week. Famously, there was a one line movie blurb that went viral, and this was a description of The Wizard of Oz in nineteen ninety eight on TMC turn a movie classic. Do you want to hear what it was? Sure transported to a surreal landscape. A young girl kills the first person she meets, and then teams up with three strangers to kill again.
Speaker 2: I love that. I absolutely love that. I don't I don't think we could do an episode out of it, but I think maybe going forward, if you could find things like this. Oh tell me, really try to guess the movie? Is that? What this is?
Speaker 1: Let's play guess that movie. I have here some TV guide descriptions and one from direct TV mac. I will describe a movie from the TV guide. You will tell me what that movie is. I have three here. Let's see how well you do.
Speaker 2: Probably not well.
Speaker 1: Can you give me the year early nineties? Okay, that helps.
Speaker 2: I'm cool with that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: A kid's gul becomes possessed by the soul of a serial killer. Most likely the serial killer's soul would have rather have possessed a Rottweiler or a wolverine. But there you go.
Speaker 2: It's chucky and I think it's like nineteen eighty eight.
Speaker 1: You are correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't. It wasn't a nineties movie.
Speaker 1: Well I'm so I said early nineties that good enough gives you a huge window. So shut up one for one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, credit to me.
Speaker 1: Blank is about dreaming about dreaming about dreaming about dreaming about something or other. I shall asleep.
Speaker 2: That is correct, you fell asleep during inception.
Speaker 1: I didn't write this, Oh. TV guide wrote that.
Speaker 2: Gotcha, got fuck that guy.
Speaker 1: Let's get to the final one. This one's from Direct TV. The characters may seem cool, but they are lawbreakers and troublesome. They don't act responsibly, and they leave a trail of violence without consequences. On the plus side, they do value family and they work well together.
Speaker 2: This makes me think of a family. Can give it to me one more time.
Speaker 1: The characters may seem cool, but they are lawbreakers and troublesome. They don't act responsibly, and they leave a trail of violence without consequences. On the plus side, they do value family and they work well together.
Speaker 2: Can you give me a decade?
Speaker 1: Two thousands, twenty tens?
Speaker 2: There are different decades. It's not gonna help me.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's years.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Fast five ah, fuck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, should have got that. I should have got five, but I should have got Fast and Furious.
Speaker 1: And that was guess that TV show.
Speaker 2: Mac.
Speaker 1: Where can the folks find us?
Speaker 2: You can find us on Twitter and on Instagram, at Mac and Goo podcast every other platform. We are mac ampersan Goo that's Mac Shift seven Goo that includes Facebook, Stitcher of Tuning, castbuckspreakare Google Play at iHeartRadio. We are on Spotify, but more importantly we're on Apple podcast. Rate review, subscribe five stars. If you do that, we'll get you a free Mac and Go T shirt from the folks over at Watertown sports Where. That's Watertown sports Where on thirty four mod Auburn Street in Watertown, watertownsportswar dot com expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: Teapublic dot com mer and it is truly the holiday season. Tons of sales. I assume go to teapublic dot com and buy some merch either from the show or from our I think you should leave shop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please do. That's a chunky Get yourself a nice holiday sweater if you ain't got one.
Speaker 1: Oh, we have a bunch of crash moores in there, so please do go there you go. They also have hats, newd egg.
Speaker 2: That one egg was forty eggs.
Speaker 1: Check us out. At the end of this week, we'll have a special bonus pod a little tearing for you folks at home. Clamoring for tears.
Speaker 2: Boom boom, Let me say it, tear.
Speaker 1: Tear, Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tear.
Speaker 1: That's not bad, all right. So Tuesdays are goose Days. I Abuse kangaroos. Tam Barton.
Speaker 2: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure.
Speaker 1: Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines.