Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome everybody to episode one forty nine of Cards and Categories. I am Mike Coolard from Baseball Prospectus, joined per usual by my very good friend Jeremy Brewer from Rasball. How you doing tonight, buddy? How many times have you watched that Detroit Tigers chasing the black squirrel video at this point?
Speaker 2: Probably not enough, but that's just because you know, the Skip Schumacher cannot be outdone by this in chasing squirrels, so I didn't want to get a little jealous of that one. But lots of fun, and that's probably pretty much the only entertaining thing about the Tigers recently until the trade deadline here and we see true Schooble find a potentially new home. But besides that, you know things are going great. Ready to get in some fun news and notes. I don't think we have everybody injured tonight, and got a few few trades and things like that, so we are just getting into the thick of trade deadline, so I'm excited there's actually some movements talk about.
Speaker 1: Yes exactly, we will have certainly tons of it to talk about next week, that's for sure. Usually I've looked back Historically, our trade headline pods are like pushing to two and a half hours just because of the volume of moves that happen. And you know what, people are saying, it might end up being a muted trade deadline here in twenty twenty six. I think we've also said that the past couple of years, as we've been earning the underneath this new playoff format system with that third wild card, and I think it always surprises us because it is always on a razor's edge, it feels in terms of teams being in or out and how quickly it can happen. I mean, just look at how rapidly the Marlins the Cardinals have fallen out. I actually think Tigers are probably going to be keeping schooble and going for it only a handful of games out in the Al Central. So I think it's gonna be a fun deadline. I'm looking forward to it. We're gonna have a very very long pod next week probably to cover it. Also, make sure you practice do those vocal warm ups accordingly. Before we get into our normal show, though, let's preview what we're gonna do for our main segment here today. If you're looking at the name of the pod. You're probably like, what on Earth prospect face off? What is this reference back to this ninety movie with John Travolta and Nick Cage. Well, one, I just finished Spider and Water on Prime Video, great series with Nick Cage. So that's maybe why I'm feeling it a little bit. But I've also noticed the past few years, I think it's really stood out that there's lots of organizations that are really drafting the same type of profile or acquiring the same type of profile and stocking their minor league systems with it. We've run into this a little bit with the Giants and the Luis Hernandez, Johnny Lovell, Joe suargen Zals talk that we had a few weeks ago. It also came up a little bit when we were talking about Nathan Fluelling and putting him into our PC, where I called that like Nathan Fwelling versus Taitan Gray's a pretty interesting discussion now for the Rays, and so we've got a handful of names, a handful of teams where we've got prospect debates. I'll offer them up to you and then we'll discuss from there. See what our preferences are. But before we do that, let's get into those news and notes that you alluded to. We've got one trade to cover, but it is maybe if we hadn't discussed this on Sunday when it happened over the weekend, it would have been a different story. We had the Red Sox and Nationals linking up for a trade, sending Connolly early the Southpaw to the Nationals in exchange for Curtits Mead infielder you know, first basement, second basement, third baseman, future DH and future il stint person for the rest of play twenty six. Maybe because the first game with the Red Sox, Mead came out and shattered his wrist, So that's not great allowing them to bring back Nick Soguard. I mean, if this is the end of the season for Curtis Mead, is quite the little run that he's put together in his age twenty five season two fifty three, three fifty three, four ninety eight slash line a one thirty three WRC plus with seventeen homers and six dolen bases can almost double that up. It would have been like thirty homers. Tense deals over an entire year with like a two fifty average, very very useful. And then on the flip side, Condonly Early is still dealing with an elbow injury while he joins the Nats, probably a little bit of why he was traded, because you never like to hear anything about elbow injuries in young arms like Connolly Early. But it's apparently only inflammation and should be back at some point later this season for the Nats. So what's your take here? I mean, obviously it's a little bit more of a long term view. I think it would have been a little bit more glowing in terms of mead joining the Red Sox and getting to a hacked the Green monster there. But going forward, what do you like about these landing spots or dislike about these landing spots for Meat and Early?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I actually think it's a pretty good landing spot for both of them, you know, I think it is it tells you where where their values are. I think ultimately Early is. I think Early a really really intriguing pitcher. He's definitely been kind of figuring things out this year. He looked dominant last year when he came up for a cup of coffee, But I think he ultimately kind of settles into maybe like a type number three, number four type type type role. But he's going to be I say, in a lower pressure environment, probably a better division, to be pitching in, better ballpark in my opinion, to be to be pitching in, and uh surprisingly a decent enough team. That's not kind of the things that we've we've worried about with the Nationals before the wind total. So I think it's it's relatively even, if not better for early because he was having trouble. You know, there was questions about was he going to be a full time that rotation and once you had everybody healthy next year, like they were gonna have a tight rotation. Once Crochet is getting back, you know, there's just a lot going there. Meat. On the other hand, he I say, he's come out of nowhere this year, But he's come out of nowhere this year after a few middling years trying to figure things out. He was a strong prospect. So it gives me a lot more credence. And under the covers things look pretty gosh darn good. So I think it's a kind of a win win trade. It's rare that you see the one for one trade and both teams kind of come out in a better spot. Both players come out.
Speaker 1: On a better spot.
Speaker 2: And I think that's what this one was. Am I like incredibly high en curased speed. Next year probably not, but give me, give me mead As kind of a corner infield, a decent corner infield, and I'm happy with that. And he might become more like maybe he's playing a little this Miguel Vargas kind of kind of roll post type prospect, and there's a lot lot worse things could happen here with the guy that's really approved his plate approach and just overall, you know, play profile. So I like it for both teams, like for both players.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm there with you too, And yeah, I'm right there with you on Mead. In terms of it being maybe like a possible Vargas or Munsi situation, I think in real life it's a little bit more of a muted trade just because Meat is an actual just like a straight up butcher with the glove like he is not great in the field and has no arm, and so it'll be interesting to see where they find a home for him in Boston, considering the corners are already pretty clogged up, and so is DH and yeah, everything in the in the profile just screams like this dude finally figured it out. And he made tweaks as well, like in the box and at the plate. And what's also encouraging about that too, is he showed that adjustment. So just kind of like Miguel Vargas or it's a little bit like next monthsy Ish too in terms of the profile, but from the right side where you got a lot of good traits that have kind of come together for meat and I think there's a good chance you can keep going all right. Well, time for another first rounder injury to discuss, because this one's actually the second one for Juan Soto, the New York Mets outfielder, went down with a stringed calf. And if that sounds familiar, he did it earlier this season. That's what kept him out. It's the other calf now, so it is the right calf at the beginning of the year, it's the left half now. The first one was about I think it was just a shade over three weeks he was out. This one it's a little bit more serious of a string So it sounds like it's gonna be four to six weeks. Now. This is a situation where actually I do believe that Sodo is going to work his way back because there's an element to this where you know Mike trut has done this over the years too, where once you know you're an all time great and you've pretty much just got a player way into the Hall of Fame, you're looking to accumulate stats. And so even if the Mets are out of it, I think Sodo's got that fire underneath him to really push the numbers up and make that Hall of Fame resume even better than it already is. Right now, it's a two eighty three, four oh eight, five thirty nine slash time one fifty eight wic plus with twenty one homers, seven stolen bases in eighty four games. Again, it's a situation you double that you're looking at forty to fifteen. This is exactly who Wan Soto is, right and so probably an easy first round pick because you can just about pencil in this line for next year. Is that what you're doing, Yeah, that's where I'm what I'm doing.
Speaker 2: I was trying to look to see where I had them my top one, my top ten for next year. I think I had them like number five. From a hitter perspective, there's there's enough speed there to be dangerous, but overall it's just the floor for a healthy Soto is just unbelievable. Like you look back the last three years, this guy's averaging basically forty homers, one hundred and ten runs, one hundred and five RBIs and call it twenty steals. Now, let's be fair, it's like twelve seals, seven steals, thirty eight steals, like I think there's an outler in there, but you know, also able to hit basically to seventy five. Like that's just an absolute slam dunk first rounder. Really never has had health issues until a little bit creeped up this year, but I'm willing to chalk that up. So if anything, he actually got better this year. He's strikeout rate was down to thirteen percent, which is kind of where he was, you know, in his heyday with Washington, even a little bit better than that. So yeah, plug and play. So it was an early first rounder next year, no questions about it. I do agree with you, he's gonna probably get back later this year. You know, he could also take a little easy on the base paths as well. The rest of the year. I would be too concerned with that. Maybe there's a discount next year just because of a little injury concern, but discounts like one spot in the first round maybe not much there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I mean given the volume of injuries we had We've had to first rounders this year that I mean, everybody's getting dinged a little bit, So I think, yes, true, it's very true. I mean you have Otani with the knee, you have Judge with the rib, you have Bobby Wit with the back room mirrors, with the hammate soda with the cavs Acuna with legs. So you're going to run into I think a lot of injury questions where I don't know if there's going to be that big of a discount unless there is any push within the fantasy kind of realm at large trying to move Pca and James Wood and Junior Camanaro further up. But like I think, when you look at the plate skills, it's really tough to overlook that kind of five pack that we just talked about from this year's first rounders, that they walk, they don't strike out, a ton, they make great impact, they give you all categories, and so it's really tough to overlook that. And I think they'll probably still be around the top of the first round next year.
Speaker 2: Two yep, I agree.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's get to a minor league injury, which we don't usually cover, but when it it haunts the number one overall pitching prospect in all of the game, I think we've got to talk about it. So we're talking Seth Hernandez from the Pirates going down with an oblique strain on his left side. So certainly this ends any chance that he was maybe going to make a debut for the Pirates late in the season as a part of the playoff run. I think that could have been a possibility, but this oblique strain looks like it's probably gonna keep him out six to eight weeks. Honestly, I think he's probably done for the season because you don't mess around with a guy like this and try to rush him back from an oblique injury like this. Look at what like the Marlins are doing with Thomas White in that shoulder. It's you know, different because it's a shoulder, but you're still talking a pretty major part of the torso and oblique strains like this can really derail things fast, I think for prospect pitchers, because not only if you return from it, are you risking reinjury, but you're also risking just mechanical change and wonkiness that can result from pain. And so the Pirates are probably going to play this one pretty slow. I would think seventy four innings of two forty three ERA with a three fifty five fip, A, forty point four percent strikeout rate, twenty nine point eight percent K minus b B if it is the end of the season for Seth Hernandez, did that across low A and high A? So Brew is is this giving you any pause in terms of I know you've been real, real into Seth Hernandez yep and really have been trying to invest in him where you can. Does this oblique injury give you any just doubts about what he can do going into the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't. It's not really changing anything for me. The only thing it changes is maybe the timetable a little, because I really do believe what you said about the Pirates and a playoff run was actually in the cards. Like if you looked at his innings pitched for the last like four or five starts, they were they were tailoring him down. They were really trying to protect that arm. And I I think we were really close to a Double A promotion where he was gonna have about a month at Double A and then if they were close, he was coming into the bullpen arm to the major league level. I really think that's the path we were down, and that's why they were fine, like not I say, de stretching him, kind of shortening those those outings to protect the arm because he was going five or six innings earlier in the year, no problem, no questions asked. And you know the last few starts three and two thirds three innings, two innings, three innings like that, they were absolutely slowing him down. And it's not like he wasn't successful. I think in the last three starts he gave up one earned run. Now the fourth one there he have a five, which is like his worst start of the entire year. But this guy is no question, best pitching prospect in the miners in my opinion. And now I think instead of questioning whether he's gonna break camp next year with with the Pirates, I think This is kind of pushing him back towards that like May June debut next season, which in the grand scheme things is probably not a bad thing because they he can get a little wrestle, he'll do on six and seven day rests and short outings, start spring training late like that. You can see the pattern that's gonna happen here. So still love South Fernando's going forward. This is puts a damper on at least a lot of my prospects of really hoping that he made the debut late in the season, kind of like a Jacob Mizerowski type thing and really make make an impact to the team and create keeper discussions all over the fantasy outlook and things like that. But he's done for the season in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I agree too. All Right, Well, let's talk catchers because we had quite the rash of catcher injuries over the past week where I think anybody in any league was probably scrambling, especially if you've got multiple leagues and you had to hit one of these land mines in terms of the injuries that hit the catcher field. So let's start with the worst first, Shy leng Lear's going down with that torn meniscus, had surgery, is out for the rest of the season. Honestly, we're you drafted, shay Linglears. You already got your money back, So everything from here on out is just straight gravy on top two sixty three average, three thirty two OBP four ninety seven slugs. So it's a little bit lower than it was last year, but I still pop twenty three homers gave you mid fifties runs in RBI in four hundred and sixteen plate appearances. You've also got the loss of Samuel Bissio this past week hit the il with a right shoulder string that he's been battling. Now it has been a bit more of like a muted season four by SiO, but he's also I think he's a streaky dude. We're still probably getting a beat on him in total, but does seem like he would go through bouts of getting red hot and then cool back off. Honestly, part of it is probably a little bit because of his shoulder, because I think it had been nagging him for a little bit. Two forty one, three h five, four fifty slash line for him, but sixteen homers, so far this he'son only twenty one. That's crazy. He still looking at or maybe you were affected by Kyle Teal going down. Looks like he's got a high ankle sprain. They're talking like eight to twelve weeks. So probably the restless season here on Kyle Teal gonna be a great buying opportunity, I think because the injuries that he's dealt with, I don't know if they're really gonna affect his long term outlook, but certainly when he gets back and going for the White Sox next year, is going to be a great bat overall from the catching position. Obviously, with all three of these you can kind of taper it based on the information. I think you're not cutting the SiO unless you're really running out of Iyel spots Wherever you had him and you were using him. He's going to be useful when he comes back. Laying the leers you can, you can probably cut if it's a redraft league. Same with Teal. My question here is what are you doing to make up for this? Because I mean, if you're searching that wire for any catchers, it's getting pretty sparse. I will say all throughout, my favorite name that's cropped up because of this, it's Jonaheim. Jonaheim's already been hitting cover off the ball in Sacramento, and it's in Sacramento, and was getting dh in first space time, gonna get even more playing time of che Langleiers down. So I think he's probably my number one target for a Cutcher replacement out there. But anybody else that you might be looking at, and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for me, it's Jonahim as well. Like I was, I was looking at all three teams here, like who's who's the kind of guys that are next in the line, And like chub Wick Trump is not truly too enticing here or any anybody that on. Basically, the Chicago White sucks from a Drew Romo perspective or a Guraquero's perspective, but Himes looks good. He's strong. I mean, he's never gonna hit for average, but he's gonna give you some strong power numbers. I actually was sneakily looking at Augustin Ramiroz to see like he's been like killing it in the minors. He's dealing basically crazy. But then I looked at his defensive stats and they're like worse than they were in the majors and so like that guy's not getting called up anytime soon for the Marlin, So I think it's pretty thin. I think that's why where we're going is Jonah him. He should be available pretty much everywhere, and now he should be pretty much playing full time. So I think it's a pretty easy plug and play, especially for a team playing a pretty nice ballpark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean I think in Miami it might be another great catcher to pursue if he's not scooped up already. Joe mack has really settled in. I mean, nothing special. It's like a two thirty two forty bat with what would paste to like twenty five homers in a season. But I mean, beggars can't be choosers this late when it comes to catchers in the waiver wire. So yeah, Mackheim, pursue them if they're available for you. Okay, let's talk a guy who I can't believe it's this far up the list in terms of the injuries and importance that has gone down. And this one hurt because I had him in quite a few places and he's been performing everywhere I had him. Let's talk Casey Schmidt of the San Francisco Giants, because we haven't really much this season. He just cracked your top one hundred this past weekend. Top. Yeah, you finally got him up there. I mean I could and like I could see in terms of there was a lot of track record behind Schmidt that did not at all indicate what was going to come this season. It is probably a season ender, I would imagine, because it does sound like he's having surgery. They're saying maybe like a six to ish week timeline. I don't know if the Giants will really want to rush it, especially considering this pile of gold, the slump of gold they've uncovered with Casey Schmidt now where I mean, he could play all over the place, and he's been hitting like an elite bat for the entire season. Four hundred and nine played appearances, twenty one bombs in that crappy park, for home runs, nine stolen bases, a two seventy one, three h one four eighty three slash line. Yes, that was only a thirty hurt. The thirty point difference between the average and the opp That's maybe the one flaw is Schmidt does not walk. He hacks at everything he's up there to hit. He did not come to look at pitches. So what is going on with this profile is what has changed? And do you believe it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean if I just make it pretty uchtur and simple, it's over aggression and that's what this profile is. And that can work when you're making strong contact and solid contact, and so his barrel rates up when he's his contact rate is up when he's chasing, or even when it's in the zone. The problem is he chases a lot, He swings the first pitch a lot, he swings in a lot in general, and that's it's it's a very dicey profile. Even if you make good contact. This is the kind of profile that can get exploited pretty easy. And that's that's what's taking me a long time to kind of like give it a shot, because it is easier to exploit the guy that really just doesn't have the patients around the plate. And basically what people are doing or giving them a chance to hit, they give them things that are close enough to make make it happen. I don't know if that's maybe he's the one guy that's like taking advantage like the ABS stuff like that, where you know, he's going up there hacking people can't get him to chase enough outside the zone by just throwing junk up there. I don't know, but that's I mean, overall, making good barrel contact, hitting hard hit norere. They're not, but when you have a middling bat speed, he's fifty six percentile first percentile walk rate, those in a full poll profile. Those are the things that got me a little little antsy on him. Why I have not moved him up faster. I think he's still going to be valuable, but I see this more as like a two point fifty hitter twenty home run kind of cap with a low OBP, and I think from a you know, overall draft perspect there's enough guys that can provide that that I'm just not jumping on him. So I do think he's out the rest of the year. I think he'll be valuable next year. But it's kind of that filling out your roster and not the guy that you want to immediately plug in to be your starter. That's kind of my feeling on him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think part of it is it's a very slight tick, but he went from I mean, he wasn't qualified in bat speed last year, but seventy one point seven percent and now it's seventy two or not percent, but miles power seventy two point five miles power and bumping him up a few percentiles. But I think that's about the range. It feels like around seventy two where things really start going well. If you're on one side of seventy two versus the other. It reminds me I am a nerd. I also do bowling. I have a Beer League bowling a team that I'm on during the winter, and this also happens, like when you go from fourteen to fifteen pounds on your ball that like there's just something about I'm sure it's actually calculable. I'm just not a physics dude, but there's something with the force equals mass times acceleration where once you kind of like start going past a point, it becomes a little bit more parabolic. Is that the word I'm looking for, But like it shoots up faster than you would think. And I think that's what's happening with Schmid's profile a little bit this year is that he added a tick of bat speed, but it was right at the right level where you needed to be an impact hitter. And I think you see this a little bit in Curtis Mead as well. But Mead was also swinging it pretty hard last year, and there were more like batting stance changes and stuff that were behind it. Schmidt, it's more of like a I mean, maybe there was a little bit of a batting stance and approach change too, but it's certainly a little bit more I think of this little tick of bat speed. So yeah, it could fall apart fast because of the aggreshing you're talking about, but he should still have some decent qualification on the infield next year. And even so, like he's fine as your third fourth outfielder, you know, a little bit of like and almost an adult Garcia mode, like prime Adulas Garcia.
Speaker 2: It's interesting the quality contact comparables on Baseball Savant and like they feel right. Like sometimes you're like, I don't buy this, Like these guys feel right. It's like Colt Keith, Andrew Vaughn, Ezekiel Tovar, Like it's those guys that like just continue to border on yes value, but not quite enough. Like it's like a little injury, a little thing. But then they if they figure it out, they have a great season, like an Andrew Vaughn or Schmid Colt Keith. You think he's gonna like you just think he's right there, and then he just never fully does it like he's to your point. It's like right on this razor's edge of being useful, good something you want to plug in every day, versus a few path weeks of dropping him like he's he's that kind of guy for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think I agree. Okay, let's move on to our next injury. We are talking Cody Bellinger, the outfielder for the New York Inky. He's the All Star Game MVP with the RBI single that he knocked in, and he's hitting the IL with a Grade two left hamstring strain out roughly four to six weeks. This certainly comes at a terrible time for the Yankees because their neck and neck with the Rays for that division. I mean, I don't think the Yankees are worried about not making the playoffs, but certainly they would rather have that buy that comes with winning the Al East. And one thing to call out first, I mean, the Yankees lineup without Stanton Bellinger and Judge honestly kind of streamable against, especially when they're on the road. At home, it's a little bit more questionable, but just because you're talking about the short dimensions of Yankee Field or Yankee Stadium. But on the road, I think they're much more streambul against unless you're Davis Martin tonight, who's getting just shelled, including by Bellinger's replacement Spencer Jones, who should get full run in Bellinger instead, you know, a strong side platun ish, I would say, because I think they're gonna give him a little bit of run against lefties because probably they have to, like they've got to make good use of that roster spot. And two, I think they want to do it because this is a situation where you know, it's not when Jones, like when Jones came up earlier in the season, where there was an element of, hey, you have to produce to stay unless he's like striking out eighty percent of the time, I think he's probably playing and staying in this lineup spot for Bellinger. Well, i'll pack at three run Homer tonight as we're speaking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the funny thing is of any guy that actually might pull off at eighty percent strikeout right, Spencer Jones might be the guy, but yeah, I'm kind of with you here, like that, Spencer Jones, Jesson Demingez, those guys are guys that actually I'd like to see get a full run for a little bit to see what happens, because they've just there's so much potential but just never comes to fruition. Bellinger like, it's a big loss, big loss for fantasy teams. He doesn't putting up amazing numbers, but he's just putting solid all around production up in a good lineup, and there's nothing, nothing wrong with that. So I think this is a tough one where I struggle to see if he's truly back for much more of the season because this is a four to six week kind of kind of view here, and if the Yankees are really, you know, locking into that playoff spot, I think they're not gonna want to rush things because they want Judge and Bellinger and Stanton and everybody back healthy. Because that lineup with those three is completely different than like Jose Cabiero and Spencer Jones, like big old difference here, and so I think that they're going to try to make sure that he's healthy, especially coming back from a hammy issue, like that's ripe for reinjury if you come back too early, and that those are the easy ones. I've done it before myself, where I've like, you think you're you're back, you think you're back, you can crew it through it, and then it just takes one bad step and you are out for another two months. And like, I think the he's are smart enough that they're not gonna rush him. So I don't want to say drop Cody Bellinger, but I could, I could see the argument for it.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's been pretty mid from Bellinger, you know, you have it's backed back up in terms of like the power has fallen apart, the ISOs dropped off, the power, the home runs, i'ven't been there. Obviously, he's gonna miss the hottest stretch of the season in New York, which probably would have boosted that a little bit. But any any questions with Bellinger going into next year now too, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know how to frame this not more than usual for I mean Cody Bellinger, for is, outside of like one year, like has always had these questions of like which guy's gonna show up? He's gonna give you enough counting stats he's gonna give you. He's gonna fill the statue across the board, but you don't know if you're gonna get a fifteen to fifteen guy or a thirty thirty guy, And you don't know if he's gonna hit two twenty or two ninety. And that's just who Bellinger is, And once you're used to that roller coaster, then you're kind of happy with it. But that's also the reason I rarely ever own Cody Bellinger, just because somebody's always willing to pay for that upside and market value is generally blow what you see at draft tables for a guy like Bellinger. So probably the same questions going to next year that I have for this year in prior years on Bellinger.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, next injury we have is for Josh Young going down with a calf strain of the Texas Rangers. This is when I'll admit I was wrong Onne, but it's also I don't know if it was just like it does feel like maybe this was an extended four hundred played appearance hot stretch for Josh Young. It's two ninety four three sixty one four one career best one twenty eight WRC plus and the nine homers over ninety two games. But this is also there was regression certainly where he did cut the walk or cut the k rate, increase the walk rate. But the babbit was three forty three. The ex wOBA is just about Lee gaverage, and so there's a lot that I think was gonna start kind of You see it, especially in the profile on Savant when you see this where if the bat speed's kind of middling, and we're talking seventy and a half mile pern hour bat speed for Josh Young and the squared up is off the charts, That's where I'm a little bit like m I'm not totally into the profile because that does scream a little bit more of like a hot streak, especially when you're looking at a player who maybe hasn't traditionally had a great squared uprate, you know, and isn't somebody that is notoriously known for that. You know, this isn't Want Soto, this isn't Aaron Judge. Also, look at the spray chart. Most of his home runs are going to right field, so he's pushing stuff away. It's a little bit of sometimes when Andrew Vaughn's running hot it looks like this too, White Sox and Drew Vaughn looked like this a lot more like the Brewers transformed him to get him to the pole side. More So, I'm just kind of throwing that out there because something can consider for dynasty keeper situations where it may look like Josh Young has really taken off here. But I think it's a lot of like this is who he is, and so I would lean a little bit more towards like his career slash line at this point. You know, you're looking at seventeen hundred player appearances two sixty four, three thirteen, four point thirty. That feels better for me in terms of a Josh Young slash lining expect going forward. Still pretty solid, just below a seven to fifty ops there, but maybe more of a corner infield guy than a third base guy. So are you there with me and Josh Young or do you think there is more in the profile here? Will be twenty nine next year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I'm with you. It feels a little bit like Kesehy Schmidt conversation we just had as far as again on that razor's edge, the thing you called out the bat speed and the squared up. Those are two variables that you look at, and they it's a tale of two stories. If you've got strong bat speed and you square the ball up like the rest of the profile can come together real quickly and look really really strong. If you have low bat speed in a high squared up profile, a lot of times that's the speedster with a spray profile to roll out a different kind of game. But if you have to look at the kind of pedigree here, that's not Josh Young. Josh Young is not the speedster sprint speed. We haven't played the game in a while with you know Josh Young's sprint speed off the top of your head without looking at it.
Speaker 1: I didn't actually look at it when I was on the slot page. So you can quis me, you can Chris me, I haven't looked, I swear.
Speaker 2: So let's where to go. We both know Josh Young is probably not the fastest guy in the world. So we're going to go over under fortieth percentile sprint speed fortieth.
Speaker 1: I'm going to go a little bit over, just a little bit like forty five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna go way under sixteenth sixteenth percentile. And so when you when you talk Yeah, when you when you talk about that kind of spray hitter, the guy that's trying to get on base by just making things happen using the sprint speed getting on like, that's not his profile. So when I see the guy with lower bat speed but great squared up, that is a little bit concerning because that means the profile that we're from a power perspective we're getting is probably gonna be a little bit in question because that's what his game ultimately is. And so I think that your point, like what we've seen in the past is probably closer to what he will be in the future. His expected home runs is actually six point six compared to his actual nine that he has, and so I think things have come together better than he has. And I think you and I have both actually kind of been out on him, even though I love his rookie season. I just I don't see enough recovery here in some of those other areas that we really need to see for me to kind of push him into like sleeper or breakout or something for next year. I think this is probably his peak, and it's a not terribly useful peak. Like I said, it's more of a at this point, it's a quarter in field with a better batting average and low power, and that's just not who we signed up for with this guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that's all very fair. So maybe something keep in mind if you roster Young in a dynasty keeper situation, maybe we're shopping him at this point if you're going for a title and have somebody who might be interested in him. Okay, we've got another injury to discuss here. Addison Barger of the Toronto Blue Jays underwent elbow surgery. It's actually the brace internal brace surgery on his right arm and complete loss season. Only got into nine games, twenty eight played appearances, and they were not great. He looked pretty pretty rough during those plate appearances. Yes, exactly. So it's a total loss lost season here for Asen Barger, who will be turning twenty seven in the off season. And you know, I will say, like we've both been into Barger, but this worries me a little bit because like it starts getting into you. Look at the thing that really stands out on his avant page is that bat speed, Like it's always been there and it's always caused a lot with him in his game and now it's kind of like resulted in some injuries, you know what I mean. Like he was always a little bit iffy with like obliques that felt like too and just like all sorts of torque related muscles in his body to where like it starts making me worry a little bit, like the Tristan Cassus, And I think this is happening. This concern is coming up more and more for me nowadays, as a lot of these hitters are trying to max out their bat speed and really pushing their trunk to the limits that I can go. And I think there's a lot of maxims in there out there in the league in terms of swing harder, swing as hard as you can every time, a lot the way that we've seen on the picture side, and I'm a little bit worried that some bodies might not be able to withstand that type of rigor over an entire season, especially when you're talking about asking Barger. You know, he's shorter than six week tall, not exactly the biggest frame, and it's maximizing every ounce of it that he can to be able to sock the ball hard. So maybe not as much of a conversation about Barger. But what's your take there? Is that something that you worry about on anyone's profiles nowadays, or is it something where you're like, hey, you know what, guys who get hurt will get hurt. It's always happened, and this is just kind of another way that manifests.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm probably lean a little bit more to guys get hurt and the just things happen, and I know we can always get into the connect chain and all what happens. Really, what I look at is this guy's the kind of profile that is just very hot and cold. Like, this is a profile I think we've seen with a lot of guys which strong bat speed, good hard hit rates, good x of velocities, but really really poor uh plate discipline. This is the Brett Rooker profile. This is to a degree, the Mark Viento's profile. It's it's those kind of guys that can really break out and do something special, but it can catch up to them real fast too, and so they're gonna be really streaky. They're gonna they're gonna cause you some pain. And it can work. It can like it can work, It could absolutely work. But if the league makes an adjustment, to you, you have to adjust back and if you can't do that, then you're you're you're in trouble. So uh, that's really I think where where we're at with Barger is that I I I really did like it, But the more I kind of look at that profile, I've been trying to shade away more and more from those guys that have high strikeouts and low walk rates. Uh, just because there's too many variables when a when the league adjusts to you, especially the young guys, I will take it with a little bit more of a veteran or somebody who's been around the league and proven that they can use that profile. But I see too many young guys coming in now that have this really aggressive swing path. Uh. They do have the high bat speeds, those kind of things, Uh, and they make a lot of noise and then they go cold for a month, and once that adjustment happens, they they really struggle to adjust backpeaks In the minors that that profile works, huge bat speed, big contact rate, you know, squared up rates. Uh, you know that stuff plays. Uh. You get to the majors and these pitchers are crafty and there there's all that uh statistics and technology playing against you, it's gonna be hard. So that's really what has me a little bit more worried with Barger than the injury. But put them both together, and he's more of a flyer for next year. Uh, maybe a comeback rebound, kind of a sleeper guy, anything I would want to invest in.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, I think that's that's a fair take. And yeah, I think it's something I'm just kind of keeping my eye on going forward as a trend we see in the league. So something to maybe consider when you see other kind of big bat speed guys where the risk maybe you know, if you especially if you have a valuation model that you're using on your own that has like a risk meter, maybe that's something to kind of layer in there, is that there's maybe another risk indicator for bigger bat speeds that just the way that you would I think for pitchers that throw hard. So it's kind of I think it's a similar parallel. All right, one last injury. Let's talk Spencer Steer. We haven't talked about him all season. It's been a sneaky, kind of under the table decent fantasy season. Pretty much the same line that he put up last year is when he was on pace for It's a two thirty eight three nineteen four to twenty one slash line, ninety nine WRC plus sixteen homers, three stolen bases, and three hundred and eighty four plate appearances. Going down with a right wrist injury where it's a it's a string. I don't know if like we're getting just I think it is just we're getting really precise medical information nowadays. I think in the past we would just call this a sprained wrist. But if you want the details, essentially one of the tendons in his wrist, like your tendons, have sheaths around them, and it tore the sheath around the tendon and is causing the pain and inflammation. Gonna be in a splint for a couple of weeks and then still has to go through the rehab process. I don't think surgery is out the door here either, so something to consider as well. Either way, probably does And Spencer Steer's season, I would imagine just because of when you're looking at getting that scent on for two weeks, you're in mid August, you do four to six weeks, you're done for the season. So you know, and at that point too, minor league season will be shut down, there's not really a place to rehab, and the Reds will be out of it. I think they'll probably want some of your young players to get to run. Although Spencer Steer younger than you would imagine, he's been around forever, doesn't turn twenty nine till December. I'm throwing this out there just because I've been watching him a little bit as like a really cheap back end option where at home he actually paces more for like a twenty five to ten, like two point fifty line at home, and then on the road it's a much more garbage situation, but puts up good eligibilities somebody that I'm kind of starring in drafts going forward because it's a little bit of like a Willy Castro profile, and the Reds play a lot of stretches where it's a week full in Cincinnati, the way the Rockies play a week full in Colorado. So something I just kind of want to throw out there for Spencer Steer back into a draft dart for me, certainly, nothing really much more than that, but an easy way to extract cheap value. What do you think about Spencer Steer. Is there more to it or are you on board or you just totally out because you think that there's no way the Reds continue to give him run.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think they're going to continue to give him run. Like this is a guy that is kind of in core to their being and he can play all over the field, and so I chink and cheap, yeah, and so like, I don't think see anything wrong. He is the kind of guy that you like to to grab late in the draft because he's he's better than your normal bench guy. But he can also end up playing you know what, four positions or something like that. I don't think you enough run at third bas this year to make that happen. You got four innings at third bas this year, but first second outfield, you know that's just going to come into play. So I do like Steer because he can do that. You also know how to play the matchups. That's pretty clear, right. You just play him a home and you fill him in when somebody else is hurt. He's an easy play. So I like that. I think we also should know at this point this sinsor Steer is who Spinscer Steer is. There's not gonna be like another gear. You're gonna get a low about an average and you get a nice little pop fu stolen basis for fun. I had a lot of strikeouts. That's just what you're going to get.
Speaker 1: Yep. I think I'm there with you. So not somebody's interested in the past, but I think he's opened my eyes a little bit just after rostering up a little bit in an RCL this year. So certainly a versatile, a little player that you can plug and play, especially in daily leagues. Okay, check out that baseball card release calendar that we got down in the show notes. No really substantial updates. Bowman Chrome does have a pre order now that's coming out on August tenth. We are speaking on July twenty ninth here. So it was the release date for Tops, Tribute, Tops, Dynamic Duels, both more high end or ish sets, you know, kind of mid range I would say in terms of like akin to five Star or Inception. And it's also a big weekend for cards in general because the National Card Show going on in Chicago in Rosemont at the Convention Center. I'll be there on Saturday. Actually I'm gonna go on Saturday, So there's gonna be thousands of people there. But if you can spot the one guy in a Cards and Categories red hat and some rat in a RAS ball shirt, that's me. So you'll see one of the cards and Categories hats in the wild that I'm always pimping at the end of the show. So if you are at the National, come say hi to me, and uh yeah, I'm looking forward to it. It's my first time going. I don't really have a huge objective, but I'm excited to see some cool stuff and if i can find like a cheap T two oh six or a like late eighteen hundredsu in Ginter, just something really cool. I don't have anything that old in my collection. That's what I'm gonna be looking for. But mostly I'm gonna be gawking. I'm gonna be gawking at all the ridiculous stuff people have and looking at all the millions and millions of dollars of cardboard that are in front of me. So I'm looking forward to it. With that, we're gonna wrap up the first half of our pod and we'll be back on the flip side to talk about prospect face off.
Speaker 3: Get ready, everybody, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Back, everybody. Let's get right into our discussion of prospect face off. So, like I said at the beginning of the podcast, here, what we're trying to aim at is analyzing prospects in the same system that are at the same position as well and kind of have a same or similar profile. Just because I had noticed, especially in this year's draft, I felt like it really stood out that lots of teams were almost starting to just acquire archetypes where I think they've all got such tailored models and stuff that they're all kind of pursuing the same type of player internally, so you get the same profiles on a lot of the same team. And what I think that also creates is position battles going forward for these similar players. And so you know, you can already see examples of this on really high end prospects that are pretty well known in dynasty situations. I alluded to the Giants shortstop situation earlier with Louise Hernandez, Johnny Lovell, and Joe swar Gonzalez. I think you get this to a degree with the Dodgers that you know, with their outfielders host way to Paula Zaire Hope mostly I'm gonna lump them together because especially those two you know very well fit together. And then maybe you also have Mike Saroda and James Tibbs kind of on their own island as well, And so you've got lots of examples of this. I did stray away all the way away from Pittures because you can never have enough pictures. It's not going to be an issue when they're coming through the system, while you know, on the other hand, like pretty soon the Brewers have to figure out what they're gonna do with Cooper Pratt, Jesus made Luis Pana and fitting them around Bryce Terrang and how it's all gonna work. So it's something to consider, I think when you're looking at these prospect profiles, because it's just another element to their overall value that maybe you like this situation they're in right now, the system they're in the ballpark, they might come up it too, But if there's another guy they're jocking for a position, they might not get that chance to stick in the system you might like. And so it's just another kind of thing I think to track on these profiles going forward. We're calling it prospect based off shout out to John Travolta, Nick Cage. It's been forever since I've seen that movie. But I can tell you we are not cutting anybody's faces off today. We're just doing a regular old fantasy baseball analysis. Nothing gory, nothing weird. And let me make sure none of these dudes are injured. Okay, they aren't, so they're not gonna do anything gory brou I mean, is there too am I reading into this too much? Or is it something you do need to think about with these profiles where I mean, then you add in the element too of like just the day to day humanness of changing organizations, refinding your locker room if you do get traded, and I feel like it also sends a message to that prospect as well. So is this something that I'm just like over hyping and overanalyzing because we had an extra week in July and needed a podcast topic or is there something legitimate here?
Speaker 2: Well, maybe you might be over analyzing and just we needed a topic, But I do think there is very clear traits that a lot of teams have where they want to have their archetype. They want to try to broom into their system because they know that they're good at developing a certain type of player. At the same time, you get into this part of the season and you know, these are the guys that come up in trade discussions and you're like, well, you can't fit all of them. At some point, you're going to have to make a choice of who goes where. At the same time, I kind of look at it is like a lot of these guys, they're they're pure athletes. If they're good enough, they're going to find a spot. Like, uh, you know, a lot of these are we're gonna be talking about are just strong, strong defenders. They can play a few different spots. So they might come up as, just to generalize, come up as a short stop, but the guy can play third and second. He's gonna come up as a center fielder, but they can play left and right. Like you get a lot of that with this with you know, these young guys, And so I think that's what teams are, Okay, drafting the bat and the makeup and then they're like, I'll figure out the rest later because it's hard to just rely on guys to pan out. So I think there is something to it, but I don't want to overlean into like, hey, which one guy gets traded another guy straight? I don't. I don't really think teams are thinking that deeply unless we're getting into the upper miners, and then you start to truly get into that block scenario, like maybe maybe with catchers. That might be the one exception where where I'd say that's true is that you can the upper miners and you have a stalwart behind the plate in the major league level, like you're you're trying to get something for that guy while his prospect stock is still up there. But generally, the talent plays. The talent plays. Maybe not in La I guess, but everywhere else talent plays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, maybe not for the Dodgers. And I mean, I think the other element here with these players too is like I'm skinning through again, I don't. You know, these aren't like the upper crust guys where like they're always going to get a shot. So that's another consideration. You know, these are guys who are in the mid to back end of top one hundreds, and so the means you're starting to get into territory where it's starting to become you know, less all star players in more kind of everyday regulars. Or platoonish guys, and so you've got a lot of talent here, but it's not that elite, elite talent where you're going to get a shot no matter what's happening with like Eli Willitts, Eli Willets, when he's ready to go, the Nationals are going to let him run and take over wherever they've got the position. As opposed to these guys, I think there's a little bit more question there where you could have a little bit more blockage created, and just another kind of thing to consider when you're looking at these profiles. So let's start with the first one that also kind of like inspired this couple weeks ago when we talked about Nathan Fluelling going into our PC for his performance in the M Will Be Futures game. So we've got face off between Nathan Fluelling and Tatan Gray. Fluelling was a twenty twenty four third round pick out of high school in Canada and he is currently a catcher, but I think he's already at the state where the bat is probably going to outstrip his his catching ability and they're probably gonna want him in the bigs playing a corner or dh and getting that bat in the lineup, because it looks really great at high A this year in eighty three games two point fifty eight three eighty three, four seventy five slash line. That's a one twenty three wr plus seventeen homers and seven stolen bases. Again, that's been as a nineteen year old. There. On the other side, we've got Titan Gray with a he was a high school pick in twenty twenty five, also out of the third round, so they went third round back to beat years ago.
Speaker 2: It was like within like eight picks of each other.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is a switch hitter while Fluelling is left handed, so that's a consideration here too. But already exclusively a cold corner guy and gonna be a bat only coming through the system. But it looks great two ninety one, four h six, four eighty eight over two stops only fifty one games because he has battled an elbow injury where he had some of those loose bodies that everyone was catching. So nothing also like overly concerning, especially when you're talking to first baseman. It's okay. The balls just screams off of his bat in every scouting report that I see, and he is at a one WRC plus one level behind Nathan Fluelling one year younger. What's your choice here in the face off? And why are you picking them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this one is a really close one for me. It is ironic how similar to these guys are. Like I said, they were drafted like eight picks apart. Both guys were catchers and are probably gonna be first baseman type of things, and so there's a lot to like here. I think it comes down to who do you think reaches the power ceiling the most, because I think that they're going to be relatively similar all around. I think Gray is maybe a little bit more athletic overall than Fluelling. I think through Fluelling might reach a slightly higher peak from a power perspective. But it's it's very close for me as far as what you think that body is gonna do. I mean, we're talking about guys, you know, Fluelling six to two hundred pounds, Grays six four two twenty both strong. I think Gray might have a little more raw power. I'm just I'm not as certain that he's going to get to it in games. Fluelling has a little bit more patience at the plate and seems to be a little more selective at this point. Again, we're we're really talking to young eighteen nineteen year olds here, so it's kind of kind of hard to play in that. But you know, I'm if I'm forced to pick one right now, I think I'm probably gonna go with Tait and Gray. But I mean it's by it's like a fifty five forty five split for me. They are so close. I almost went with Fluelling on this because I think he's had a bigger rise this season, but I think Gray has seems to have a little bit more mature played approach, just barely. And like I said, the raw power, I think he hasn't tapped into it like the way Fluelling has, but I think he has a little bit stronger raw power, a little better build for that. So if they both end up in that first base position, I think Gray has that little better chance of being the middle of the order type of type of bat. But both of them pretty gush darn close for me at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, i think I'm right there with you in terms of I prefer Gray, but it's not by much. And I think the reason for me is I think the ceiling for Gray is a little bit higher because I think the power is pretty upper tier. Like it's about as close to eight power as you're probably gonna find in the in the miners right now, next to Lasara Montes. But like Gray's got a way better played approach than Lasara Montes and does not have, per the scouting reports, the same holes that Montes does in his swing, So that gives you a lot more faith in Gray being able to really handle big league pitching and work his way through the miners. I will say I think flu Willing's probably got the higher floor though, just because of the athleticism to be able to catch and to still have that avenue maybe open to him for another season. You know, if he does turn her corner in the off season and shows up in the spring next year and is a markedly better catcher, then if that opens up for him, certainly, I think that gives him a huge boost, because then you're starting to talk like maybe the best minor league catching prospect just because the bad is so great when you combine it, he'll be right there with like Alfredo Duno and yeah, Roanyelle Rodriguez too, So that's the type of like bat we're looking at with fluelling. It obviously like once you put that at first base, it becomes a different conversation for fantasy than that catcher. So, yep, I think I'm with you. I'm I'm going gray in this face off over fluelling. Next one, we're sticking the Al East. We're going with the Toronto Blue Jays. We've got two shortstops here. So we got Argin Namala and Jojo Parker. These dudes were both first round picks, not back to back years. Namala went in twenty twenty three, Parker in twenty twenty five. Namala was a high schooler when he was drafted, and so was Parker, so you kind of got similar profiles there. Namala is a right handed hitter, Parker is a left handed hitter. And when you're also looking at the overall stats this year, so Namala has done this across three levels. He did go back to the Complex for a little bit because they've been tweaking his swing like every year to get him right in terms of he seems to fall apart the past couple of years, but the Complex fixes him and he comes right back fine. It's been a two sixty four three sixty six four sixty two slash line one nineteen WRC plus with eight homers across fifty eight games in High A, Low A, Double A, A little bit complex ball. The thing that will really stand out here, remember this twenty two point eight percent strikeout rate, twelve point six percent walk rate. Jojo Parker, first year in the minors, nineteen year old at Low A, it's been a two thirty six three seventy six four twelve slash nine A one to thirteen WRC plus right there, you're talking six ticks of WRC plus. He has nine homers, more stone bases twenty one but certainly easier competition. Sixteen point three percent walk rate, twenty four point three percent walk rate. So the walk rates and k rates or the second one, the twenty four point three was a k rate there on Parker, I think I said walk rate, but you're looking at walk rates and k rates that are pretty similar. Both of them. Have a little bit of question about short stuff, you know what I mean. Namala, it's partly because Namal's got a cannon for an arm that he might just make more sense at third. And then for Parker, it's just he's got a little bit of a chunky body. I would say where I think he probably is going to end up in second base third base conversation, but they're going to try him at short as long as they can. Two pretty similar players here coming through the Blue Jay system. Which way do you lean?
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm gonna give you credit. You did a good job picking guys that are pretty cush darting similar and maybe that's the reason we're having this this podcast conversation just took me this long as the podcast figured out. But when I look at these guys, I both of them have really high upside. Both of them are very athletic players. I think Parker's got a little bit more speed. I think uh Namala might have a little bit of a pickup on the hit tool just slightly. But I think what I look at for these two is I think Parker's got a little bit better floor. I think all around game, I think he's going to grow into a little the power. The power might be similar between the two guys. Parker might grow into slightly more. I think the speed's gonna kind of separate, and he's already kind of showing that he's only quite quite a few bases. He's to on for twenty five and eighty games at single A. It's single A, so like put you know, put a little damper on that. But I think that overall profile has a little bit better flow and has a chance to play. I think Damala has maybe a wider range of outcomes that we could see him, you know, really mature and become something special. That's the bigger question for him. But when I look at you know, one of the things I think is as a tiebreaker is like body type Jojo Parker six to two hundred, Namala at least what they're listed is six foot one ninety. That's that's not the biggest guy, and so it's not like he's going to grow into a ton more power. And so I do question, uh, for Namala if those counting stats are gonna kind of come around, even if he does end up having a slightly better hit tool. Both guys young for their levels, so it's it's you know, they're being really challenged. But I mean, I'm given Parker the edge. I said, I went fifty five to forty five in the race system. I'm gonna go like sixty to forty h here with Parker, it's still pretty close.
Speaker 1: Well, this might end up being a little bit boring that we might just end up like agreeing, although down because I think everything that you said is the reason I've also got Parker a little bit over Namala in terms of the left handed bat too, just helps. It's another leg up in terms of if you're facing right handed pitching more often, you want the left handed bat better shot at a higher batting average, and just more power and just a little bit easier than trying to hit right on right constantly. Overall, I think that Nomala might end up being the better player because the glove is slick like the.
Speaker 2: Glove yeah, is like real world player.
Speaker 1: Yep, Yeah, the glove on Nomala could like start bordering on like Carlos Korea if he puts it together, you know what I mean. But also kind of a similar profile, lots more of like contact and power at the plate too, with very few stolen bases, where I think Jojo Parker can be a lot more rounded, holistic five y five roto category like just offering it up across the boards. So yeah, I'm with you right here. Parker's winning the face off twoelve sweep once again. Okay, we're gonna go to Atlanta. We've got two here with Eric Hartman and aj Grossia. Eric Hartman was drafted in twenty twenty four in the twentieth round out of high school, but was certainly given a little bit of a bonus to be able to buy him out of a college commitment has broken out this year. Aj Grossia was just drafted out of Virginia a few weeks ago by the Braves with the number nine overall pick. And we're looking right here, I think at two corner outfielders in the future for the Braves. Hartman is left handed and so is Grossia, so we don't even have that distinguishment here. Let's see in terms of their future hit grades and power grades on fangrafts, it does look like we've got a little bit more on Grossia's page, But the current does it favors him a little bit? I will say the the distinguishing factor, Hartman certainly runs a lot more. But if we'd had this discussion last year, it would have not even been a face off, I think because Hartman was just an all speed guy with forty eight stolen base lacross two levels. The breakout has been real for Hartman this year, twenty two homers to go, thirty six stolen bases, two seventy four, three sixty one five nineteen slash line in high A with a one thirty WRC plus. Grossia is just coming off of a year at Virginia three fifty four forty nine six thirty two, one forty four WRC plus just to be able to write size that with NCAA fourteen homers more walks. Thanks, But it's a little bit hard to compare those numbers compared to what we've done with the past few guys, because you're talking college to minor league stats. But I think you're talking pretty similar profiles here. Hartman is a little bit smaller than Grassia. Grascia is at six three one ninety five listed Hartman's at six, So they're both right there, and they've both got decent fielding grades, but I think neither of them is going to even come close to sniffing center field. So who's your choice here in the face off of Atlanta Braves corner outfielders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you gave a good rundown here. The few things we'll add is Hartman I think has bulked up during the season, So the metrics a year thrown from a size perspective, I think they would he'll clock in a little bigger next year. He definitely seems like he's bulked up, So give me a six on him if i'm if I'm guessing. The other thing is, even though Grassia was just drafted, Hartman's younger, Hartman just turned twenty years old at the beginning of June, or actually mid June, and so Grassia is actually because he went through some college ball at Virginia a year and a half older, and I feel like he's got a little bit more runway to figure things out. So kind of because of that, Like I'm going with Hartman here, I just I think he's kind of proven it already. You've seen a lot of growth this year and it was a notable change in the profile, like he's lifting the ball more like it goes back to the generation of the launch angle discussions that we had years ago. He feels like he's kind of growing into that power. And I don't know that he's going to be a true I don't think either guy unless Garassia really like pops the power, like really fills out I don't think either guy is like a true middle of the order bat, but I think it's, to your point, a good corner outfielder. And I think Hartman's just gonna fill a little bit more of the stat sheet. And he's just shown me a little bit more being young at the level that he's producing. So I'll give him the edge and I'll give this one a little bit bigger gap for me. I really really do like Hartman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this is another clean sweep. I'm right there with you. I mean this is probably one of the more lobsided ones, honestly, because Hartman the breakout has been very, very next level, and when you add in the speed element, I don't know how well the power will stick. I think that's probably the biggest question as he rises, because the other component here is he did give back a couple ticks of contact to be able to find that speed. I think as he goes up levels, he's gonna have to shade the other way back and give a little bit of the contact back to be able to hang, and that'll decrease the power. But you're still looking at somebody when he gets up kind of a j Pollock, but from the left side, I think, and so you're looking at a lot more stolen bases than power. But well, also probably not the ability to play center field like Pollock, although he has been out there a lot more at high A than I would have anticipated. But so maybe the Braves do give him that chance. But also at the end of the day, like Michael Harris the Second isn't going anywhere. So unless Michael Harris the Second really does start slowing down and dealing with lower body injuries, it's his center field to Rome. And so I do not want to give short shrift to Grassia though, because there's a pretty decent chance he becomes the best bat out of this draft class. The one factor that's gonna go against him, I don't think there's a lot of speed in that profile, where it's like Kyle Tucker without the speed it could be, you know, I think that's where you could see the peak the ceiling for and I'm talking like good Kyle Tucker, not this year's Kyle Tucker Grassia. So yeah, I think it is a pretty easy choice for Hartman. But Grassia is certainly knowing to ignore when you're getting into fipds this year. Okay, let's go to Cincinnati. We've got two shortstops here between steel Hall and Justin Lebron. So steel Hall was drafted just last year in the first round out of high school. Justin Lebron is coming out of Alabama this year was the eighteenth overall pick, so already off the bat, you got a little bit of an age gap where steel Hall just turned nineteen and Justin Lebron is going to be turning twenty two in November. Lebron, let's get Let's look at those numbers at Alabama. They were pretty solid. Two seventy seven, three eighty six, five thirty four slash line, one oh five WRC plus forty two stolen bases. Though in his sixty one games you can also kind of see where like he was facing much stiffer competition in the SEC than Garse than Gracio was in the ACC regularly, that like, even though the ACC still has lots of good teams in it, the SEC is like another tier up from the ACC when it comes to pitching, especially, steel Hall has been putting it together over the summer at Complex Ball, so that is another kind of factor here that's pretty low for this guy. I think, although he should be getting a bump up to the next level here pretty as soon as complex ball is wrapping up. But it's been a two eighty eight three eighty seven five eighteen slash line. It's only been a one oh seven WRC plus, which kind of shows you the pitching environment being pretty or the pitching just overall, and complex ball has been awful. So the the stats are pretty boosted. Ten homers, twenty four stolen basis in his fifty eight games, twenty four percent strikeout rate. There, you're looking at two dudes who can pick it. They've got great speed as well. So the question here, I think on both is actually the hit tool. Both of them currently have a twenty current rating on their hit tools from Fangrafts. Steel Halls is a forty five future, Lebron's is only a thirty future. But all those considerations, who's your pick here between Hall and Lebron.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean you a good job describing it, Like the question is the hit tool and what's going to happen with that? Steel Halls maybe got a little more speed than Lebron, and I think that would probably get some people go, Yeah, that's that's where I want to be, but I just don't know that he leaves a little too much like Billy Hamilton being there in Cincinnati. He's like, I don't know if we can get enough power or enough batting averaging on base to take advantage of the speed. And so I'm gonna go Justin Lebron here just because I think that he he might be a more of a true athlete project at this point in time. But I think the ceiling is a decent more than steel Hall. I just I think Hall is kind of who he is. He's going to be a speedster. He's gonna pop a few few homers here and there, he's gonna have a low average, and I and hopefully you know it all it all sorts out. I think Lebron has a much more interesting bat, much more wide variation of outcomes. But when I think you're looking at this kind of profile if you want it to really be an impact player, I think Lebron has a much a higher chance of being an impact player, even if steel Hall might have a higher chance actually been a long term major leaguer, which is kind of a weird, weird dynamic. But I'm given going Justin Lebron here again. Very close, very similar profiles, but I think a little bit more mature approach from Lebron as he comes through from the college ranks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm with you as well, and I think that is going to be one element that you brought up to consider that, you know, if you are in like a really true keep forever dynasty league where it really does behoove you to stash away somebody likes Steel Hall who's at the complex league, and you can wait for two years and see what happens. Maybe it tips the scales a little bit because I will say it's relatively close from an actual profile, but I like the ability for Lebron to probably get to the majors much quicker and establish himself in front of Hall and then create that block maybe for Hall as well as third base and second base should be pretty wide open for the Reds next year going into the season. And I mean maybe there is even a discussion about whether or not they let Elie de Lacruz stick it short stop, But let me check his I haven't checked his defensive runs. I mean they've actually been fine, so maybe not. You've probably still got a couple more years of l at shortstop, but Lebron could easily take over second or third base because I don't think they're going to pick up a u Haannino Suarez's mutual option there. They're probably gonna let him walk. They're pretty cheap in Cincinnati, as we alluded to earlier. So yeah, because of those factors, I'm going with Lebron. But I think this one's probably the closest one for me because when you're talking ceilings, they're pretty similar. I think, like we do need to see Lebron show up and perform. We've seen it from Hall, but it's also been a sub seventy percent contact rate in the Complex League, which I mean it can be a little fluky, but that's that's some pretty dangerous territory down there. Okay, next one. We do have six of these, so we're gonna this is our fifth one.
Speaker 2: We're almost there.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're am. We're not going to go through. If we did all thirty, man, we'd be facing off forever. I'm sure there's something.
Speaker 2: We wouldn't agree on all thirty. I'm just curious if we somehow agree like and and for those listening, we do not talk about these things prior to getting on on the air with the podcast. We don't sit here in like debate and whatnot, Like we just run into this. You set things up, I react, and we see what happens. And so if we agree, we agree. If we don't, we don't. It's just it's actually kind of surprising with guys this far away from the majors that were actually a line so far, I think I'm setting this up for not being a line on this one. Again, we haven't talked about it, but maybe maybe this is gonna be the one that we're a little different on.
Speaker 1: Okay, because yeah, this is where I think these next two they're starting to get a little bit They're starting to deviate a little bit more because like there's only so many of these like exact same dudes you could find, and so we've got similar situations, I would say, and we'll we'll we'll parse it out, but you're gonna have we're gonna start getting a little bit more into like Red Delicious versus Granny Smith Apples as opposed to Red Delicious versus Bigger Red Delicious.
Speaker 2: I don't know, you get that one fell apart real fast on you.
Speaker 1: It's close to land in that plane. Okay, let's go to Kansas City because we've got two standout outfielders now in that system that are have popped up. So in one corner, we've got Onebelle or yeah, in Injabelle Gomez. I'm gonna or on a Belle Gomez. I'm we're gonna only call him Gomez from here on out. So uh, he has been lighting the Complex League. Well, it's not even Complex League, it's been the DSL on fire this season. Was signed as an amateur of Venezuela in January and has been one of the best bats in the DSL this year. Three forty five, four fifty six six twenty seven slash line with six homers and twelve stone bases in thirty four games, so one forty nine WRSC plus. He is a seventeen year old turns eighteen in December. Right right profile, six foot two one seventy five ish, and then on the other side, we've got the first round pick for Kansas City this year, Zion Rose out of Louisville. He is a right right outfielder as well. Twenty one years old, turns twenty two next May. Little bit shorter, supposedly six foot one two hundred. I guess the other component here with Annabel Gomez is that he might grow another inch or two. So something to consider because I think that was a part of the reason why Toronto also took Nomala as early as they did. I don't think they've gotten more than another inch of growth of Nomala, but there could be more in Gomez's profile going forward. Rose at Louisville ACC again absolutely lit it up four seventeen four ninety one, six forty six, one forty seven WRSCT plus only six twenty four stolen bases. A little bit more of like a gap to gap doubles line drive guy, but pretty decent frame to be able to add a little bit more power. We'll be We'll just see if the Royals can do that going forward. So here we got two similar ish guys. Gomez is significantly younger, you know, yoking a guy who's three years younger and was just signed recently. Rose has the background of playing three years of college ball. Who you picking in this face off?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think for me, I have to look at upside with with with this this battle, and I don't think that's incredibly close between these two. If I'm truly talking upside and that's gonna be Gomez. Gomez is a lanky kid. He's found surprising game power for what he's the lankiness that he is. I do agree he's going to fill out more. He's kind of that fast, twitchy kind of player that you can really kind of dream on, and so I think he's a guy that has a chance to really reach some power potential and really kind of contribute across across the stat sheet. If we're trying to make a Kansas City comp here for maybe like the outcome you're hoping for, it's kind of like a Carlos Beltron type type of profile. That's probably like best case scenario. Maybe you're getting into more of like a Starling Marte type, you know, a little bit further further down with some powers speed, But that that lanky kind of guy that's gonna gonna make an impact. I think he has the highest potential for this to come through. I do like Rose, I think there's a lot of value there. I just don't know that he has quite the same overall upside from a power perspective. He probably has it. On the speed side of things, He's gonna be a mature, more mature. Again, he spent three years with with Louisville playing, so I think, you know, he's probably he's obviously going to see the majors first. He's gonna get the chance to, uh, to prove himself. He's probably got the better floor. But I I just look at these two type of guys and say, you know, Rose might just be a slightly above average across the board kind of guy, whereas I think Gomez could be average in a few spots but really really strong from a specifically from the power perspective, and the speed is still gonna be intriguing to boot, maybe just not quite as strong as Rose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you, and this one's not particularly close for me either. That like, this was a little bit of like a way to shoehorn in a discussion about Gomez because this is actually, I'll let you in on it, this is the next guy that if I get to auction and stash away a dude and not Anu, this is the next one. I think this is more Carlos BELTRONI I think this is like pretty special that like when you put together what he's done in the DSL at the age that he's done I think that the Royals have really found a gem here in Gomez where I think I think next year he's probably gonna really tear through the miners pretty quickly, where it reminds me a little bit of like it's right handed like Jose Depaula for me in terms of what I see across the board, where he's flashing more speed, but I think the speed will even out because the bat is so good and I think the steals that he's picking up it's a combination of it being the DSL and the pitching not being great and the catching not being great and finding his opportunities, but the bat is legit out of Gomez, and so I think if you're in dynasty keeper situations and he's available and you're rebuilding, certainly put him on your auditu roster, I think now before he becomes hot commodity going into next year as well as he should be on the board for fypds. I mean most fypds, I would say do, but you always have the odd one where they treat Jan's twenty or the Jan period inner national signings a little bit differently. I think Gomez in I've been trying to debate this because I'm not actually in like a situation where I've got a FYPD, but if like I was, I mean, I think Hernandez is probably number one for me, but Gomez is right there with Chilowski and Emerson too, So like that's how much I believe in it that, like I think, especially when I'm in like thinking about those even though like I said, I'm not in a league like that, but I think I would like to shade for trying to find a little bit more upside in that mix. And so Chilowski and Emerson are are cool, but I don't know if they've got quite the ceiling that I would want. And Hernandez and Gomez do, I think so somebody to I think star out there is Annabel Gomez from the Royals and another Quean sweep. Okay, we got to our last one, Miami Marlin shortstop, and we're going with another draft D from this year. I don't have stats to read off because he was a high school pick number five overall, we're talking Jacob Lombards. I'll just rattle off some of his pipeline scouting grades and his age and kind of profile. So he was out of a Florida High School was eighteen turns nineteen in September, so a tick older, but not like one of those I'm always wary of those dudes that come through like nineteen and a half in our first round out high school, Like, oh boy, that's not great. Six foot three, one ninety five shortstop all the way future grades of fifty five hit sixty power, sixty five run, fifty armed, fifty five field sixty overall, pretty solid. Little shortstop was right in the discussion I think for quite a long time with Chilawski and Emerson until kind of the everything really started settling at the end of the draft. So this is not like a situation of the Marlins cheaping out on somebody that they went out and got one of the better prospects that they could at that spot. It's coming on the heels of Iva Arquette, who was their number seven overall pick last year out of Oregon State. Is twenty two turns twenty three in October. Has been at high A and double A this year with a two forty two ninety seven four to sixty two slash line just a ninety four WRC plus, but the power has been pretty solid. Nine homers, twelve stolen bases, the glove is starting to fade a little bit where he might end up being more of a third baseman. But it's a big frame six five, two twenty out of our quet. You've got two short stops here for the Marlins. Which way you going?
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is a tough one because specifically to Lombard, there's just not a lot I mean, being at high school, there's just not a lot of information to go on him. But I think that the two ways I'm to look at this is our ket like he went early in the draft, but like he seems like he hasn't really found his footing in the minors folly at this point. The batting avergi hasn't picked up there. He seems to be kind of a little bit lighter on the on the hit tool. He is going to be twenty three coming up soon. So the fact that he's not quite getting to some of the hit tools in the game power that I would want to see at that age, at the levels he's at, I'm a little I've kind of soured a little on our cuts overall game. That said, Lombard, this this is an incredibly athletic pick like he's one of those This is a not fair comparison, but but bear with me, is a kind of James Wood like talent athleticism type type of pick. He he has incredible speed, great defense, the profile from off from his perspective, he has crazy, crazy raw power. Some of it does show open games. The problem is he's a strikeout maven like. He is a swing miss type of guy, and he's you're you're dreaming on him with his top ten type type pick that he could become something incredible, or he could be kind of like a number of prospects we've seen drafted that just can't figure out how to actually access that hit tool and so there can be incredibly exciting, but they're not gonna make it through. So for me, our kent like he hasn't shown enough that he's something. I'm like, yes, I'm gonna invest in more than like a utility player. And I think that's maybe his ceiling right now. And maybe that's not fair to a guy that was just a a top ten pick not too long ago. But I think Lombard has some incredible tools and if he can figure a few things out in pro ball and not get exploited by pitchers, and he can mature again be in a high school bat, absolutely can. There's a lot more upside there, and again with these two, I'm looking upside. So give me Lombard, but we have very little to go on of a high school bat. That that just I believe he was just activated for the Marlins today actually if I was looking at the transaction reports the PCL. So we'll see, maybe we'll get stats tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And so we've also got I should have thrown it out there that Lombard is also George Lombard's son, brother of George Lombard Junior. So that's another factor here too, which I think actually is the the factor that makes me pick him too. So we got a clean six ozero sweep on the face offs. But I think that that just like bloodline of coming through and having the father that was in baseball and he's still involved in baseball, having the brother that was there too, to be able to learn those ropes where I think that might be a little bit of like what's tripping up our caut you know, as he goes forward, because there's a lot of latent power in that profile, and it's just kind of not quite translating folly. I mean, if anything, you almost want to see our cat. The contact rate is too high, like he's got to like let a few more pitches go by, which Alsos kind of tells me too that maybe he's pressing a little bit to try to work his way through and prove that he was a top ten pick is as opposed to just like letting it ride. I think he's got the body to do it and be a solid third baseman, and I think he can be a pretty good contributor for fantasy, where you know you're looking at something like twenty twenty five Homers with like a two seventy average and just pretty good solid third base defense. Lombard I think because it is a little bit of a mystery box, I'll take the mystery box too, because, like the upside, the size is already there too. Another situation where maybe he does add another int or two, but like he's huge. I don't know if he sticks at shortstop like he maybe he does move to the outfield, and certainly the error bars are huge because like Lombard could be his brother or better and probably better. It does sound like from a scouting perspective, he's got more power and.
Speaker 2: Just better better tools.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and so there's that. But I also like Drew Jones was not too far behind us, and.
Speaker 2: So yeah, like Elijah Green like guys guys like that, Like that's that that's the risk with this profile the other But on the flip side, you look at our cats like comps. I was looking at prospects of the comps and they were like Adam Fraser, Maurisio Dubon like like, yeah, okay, you're talking to the guy that's like yeah, at times has been useful in a fantasy game, but like never the guy that you like target. It's the kind of guy that you you it's the fallback play and that and that feels like maybe the upside for our cats. So I will to your point, I will take the mystery box on this one and not be too disappointed.
Speaker 1: If I'm wrong. Yeah, And that's I mean, if you're just like straight comparing them like this, that's I think always going to be the answer. When you're talking Dynasty leaks, it might be a little bit different because I do think that there's still when you kind of like do the beat bop boops in the computer and like put it all out there. Depending on where you're at in your life cycle of your Dynasty, team Arquette might still make more sense for you if you're looking at if you need a shortstop our third baseman, who could be up late twenty twenty seven, early twenty twenty eight. Maybe that is a consideration and you bump them up a little bit more because you who knows how Lombard's going to take it could be two years, it could be four or five, So something to kind of put together in your consideration and analysis going forward. So there we go, prospect face off, we wrapped it up. It was a clean suite, but I mean, I think a lot of them were closer than you would expect. We just kind of if you've been listening to this pot over the years, you know we think pretty similarly.
Speaker 2: We spent too much time together, I think, is what the analysis at the end of this pot is. But if you made it this far, we appreciate you listening along, joining us with the clean six sweep on this.
Speaker 1: All right, brew, Let everybody know where they can find you on socials and read your work.
Speaker 2: Yep, find me in Twitter x whatever you want to call it Blue Sky Jaybrewer one seven find me rasball on the weekends doing hitter profiles, top one hundred hitter rankings, coolly, Where can folks find you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can find me over at Baseball Perspectives, writing about starting pitching and just other random fantasy baseball topics every once in a while. So lots of stuff going on with the deadline this week. You can find me on Blue Sky at en cool seven spelled cou Ill like my last name. You can also find the podcast on Blue Sky at cards Categories or email the podcast at cards Categories at gmail dot com. You won't get it in time to go to the National this weekend, but if you want all of the hats to be able to match me when you find me this weekend, there go into those show notes. You can get a hat. You can get a mug baby onesie, other gear with cards and categories logos. Check it out. Also check out rasball dot com for those subscriptions. Still well worth the price to try to rally and put your team together and try to win your fantasy leagues. I will tell you that if you had been using the streaminator, you would have streamed that Kyle Manzardo Grand Slam yesterday, So it's eerily right, especially when it comes to home runs that like, whenever I'm looking for a homer, I go to the streaminator, I searched by home runs and it kicks out a lot of winners more than you would expect. It's kind of funky. And with that, we're going to wrap it up for this week. Appreciate you checking out the podcast. If you haven't done so, rate and review it wherever you're listening to. It just helps us grow the listenership. So we'll be back, same time, same place next week with an extremely long pod to get through all that trade deadline fall out that we know will be there. Thanks everybody for checking us out.