Speaker 1: Welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen, episode forty one.
Speaker 2: I want to begin with something which is relevant to what we do in this class. I think I wasn't the subject or the object I should say, of the criticism, but I think it's something I thought about, and it's been getting a lot of talk. A number of you must have seen it. This is this online journal called Tablet, which I highly recommend everyone who's interested in intellectual things, not so sure as things an intellectual public, intellectual type of things subscribe to when you get in your inbox a couple of times a week. One that just came today and Robert alerted me to it and I saw it. Also was about all they do a lot about Karadi and Karaidi women's singers who are all over YouTube with hundreds of thousands of hits. At least they call themselves Karaidi, but it's uh they want to call themselves. Let them call themselves but women's singers. But this is from a guy, Cole Aaronson, who I don't know. He describes himself as coming from a non Orthodox background who then became Orthodox. He's now learning in heartsy owned gush. So obviously he's an intellectual. But he writes about how, for the sake of Jeury, the Orthodox should give up their private dialect. And he doesn't mention tor in motion, but he mentions why you tora. He says, if you listen to Sharim, it's like inside baseball. All this like on the right here. Although we would never use language like this, but Yeshivash and English. He's a great a friend of Calley's stem are from translation. He's a great friend of the Jews, and his ins are observant. So he's writing about how he felt he didn't understand any of this language, and he feels it does a great disservice. All I would say to that is if you listen. Obviously, I mean he wants people to say Abraham and Moses, not Avamosh. If you listen to us, we're not speaking. We don't say he's eating bie. We're not using this sort of a Yeshivish language. But we use First of all, we use terms, a lot of terms. This is a group of people with a certain knowledge. And also I think you know, we we say uh, he gave tadaka. We don't say charity. Usually we we dobvin, we don't pray. If you ever speak to the Syrians, they say we're going to pray. It sounds very weird because from us it sounds like a non religious thing to go pray. But so he has a whole thing. It's I find it interesting. But at the end of the day, every culture has inside talk. If you're in the black community, the Hispanic community, I work at a Catholic university. Uh, I don't see it negative of like he does. In fact, he says something right at the beginning, where I've been in Yeshivash circles a long time, I think I just think he's wrong. He's he's he's saying. For example, he gives examples like David, what does a last come of a kamma mean? Or what the what is the triangle? Okay? And why would anyone, uh why would why wouldn't someone what that guy say hold by it? But then he says another example of the Shievish. Can't just anyone Bavorn I had don't I have no clue what Bavorn means if anyone knows. I sort of think he's wrong, and it's uh, he's confused that as far as I know, there's no such thing as uh As Bavorn. But it's a very interesting uh article. And he says that when he first started hearing this, I was the Lonely Man of Faithfulness obviously a play on the lonely Man of faith So UH, I highly recommend this article. And I'm sure we're going to hear more in the future from Cole Aronson.
Speaker 3: UH.
Speaker 4: The next thing, doctor Market, if I can interrupt for a second, you know, I don't even know if I ever sent it to you, because you've been with us for so long. When we have, you know, all our speakers, I send them like a little kind of you know, instruction guide what to do speakers. And one of the things I always say they don't always listen is that every Hebrew term should be translating into English. And because even though we want high level classes, nuanced, sophisticated, there are people whose background is not so good. So when you use these terms even I agree, not Abraham and Moses, but other terms. So it's it's very interesting. It's have to you know, my mother used to yell me if you say he learns out. She couldn't stand that expression. You know, somebody learns out and all the achievish, you know, improper English, and it's.
Speaker 2: Tough for it's tough for us because we're doing with a lot of concepts.
Speaker 4: We sure you have to find the happy medium.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, and he does. He does quote uh oh, and someone points out of seeing the notes, he had something in the Jewish Review Books and he actually holds his sites. Believe it or not, there was a book that came out on from Speak and it was reviewed in the Jewish Review of Books by my favorite John Order and Cole mentions that, so I look forward to more from him. I listened to the tape and about making of a God Door. I want to make one more point which I didn't in terms of the y room the band and I had a correspond with someone and I mentioned, you know, someone made a joke or maybe it wasn't a joke. Should do I want my books to be banned at the end of the day, there's a sociological element here. Books are only banned if you're in the community. No one's going to ban a Ton Sliffkin's books. Now he's not in the community. If you're going to ban books that don't go with the Kardiosh COFFI do the ending books every day. It's only books in the community and people who are thought to be problematic because they're in the community. So, for instance, I thought of this because I was reading Dolphin's new book. Here it is. I was three books this year, Rabat and Godoli in part two. Now let me let me just read you what he says. He's talking about Rev. Rudermann's relationship with Krabad, but he just speaks about other things about Rudermann. And he writes as follows, where this is the sort of thing that Nilsson Kamenetski wrote and that's why they banned it. And this comes from a student I was gonna say a talmud thanks to call, I'll say, a student of Rabbi ruderman And he says this follows. Once while arranging This comes from by Janowski of Miami. Once while arranging his library, Rabbi Rudermann related that Rabbi Hutner asked him what he thought of his approach, referring to him demanding respect kavoratara and practicing an elitist form of God Lodom. The when you stress the greatness of man. Rabbi Rudimann replied, he quotes the Yiddish Dufoyl siglernin Gemura, Russian tosvos Hustu Gemacha, and I am dere you are lazy, too lazy to study the talma with the commentators, so you made a new approach. That's the sort of thing that you find there in Nuss and kamenetski h. You know he that ook the this is so much where we spoke about that the rabbi is just like the rabbis that tom would speak to each other and we're not supposed to. Maybe, you know, be led into the criticisms. Obviously Robbe Rudimin or a footner of Rudiment could mock Rafutner a little and say jokingly, because I do think he was saying it jokingly. Uh, you're too lazy to really look into the gamara, so you come up with all this other michig goss. That's what he's thinking. So but to see it in print, it's a little bit jarring. What he's referring to. Instantly about Rafutner is raf Utner did believe in covode Hatra, and he insisted on he demanded respect, and I'm told his daughter who has the seminary, does the same thing. I'll give you an example a story of this, the story with the legendary Rebean Grillic. He was looking for a school to send his son, and of course he couldn't send high school. He couldn't send it to MTA if you know rubiau Relic. So he went to visit Chin Berlin, and when he went in to meet Rafutner, he was told by the assistant, when he leaves the meeting with Rafutner, he should walk out stepping backwards, not turn his back to him. And Rabbi Gerrelk's attitude was, what kind of crazy place is this? Let's go, we got to go find some other o the yeshiva. But it's a UH, it's a it's a method of God of UH instilling respect. It's one of you or one of the people who heard on YouTube emailed me I quoted from had been a mosaic that and Susanna made a comment which I responded at. Certain things in the Torah incorporate UH activities that were in the general population. And someone wanted to know what was this held by other rebon nime. Is this a radical thing? At first? I don't think it's radical at all, even from an academics perspective, if we find any examples of Barriechlera's articles others. But the Rambam himself mentions this about sacrifices. But leaving that aside, I want to show you a book. It's called.
Speaker 1: Mbam.
Speaker 2: Two volumes came out last year in this year, and also one volume of the Revolver and a Rambam's uh introduction to Agada. It's that it's a by a man named Mosha Mymone, who happens to be the grandson of Raubselim and Mymon of Seattle. He is an incredible person. He's a friend of mine, but he's incredible. He's a Lakewood guy, learned in brisk but then he taught himself Arabic. And what you have here is a new translation of the two volumes. Look how thick it is. This is volume on Schmos. We only have Umbracious and Schmos two volumes full with notes. I mean he lives in mounds and he lives in a Lakewood, teaches in Munsey. But this is full of notes, academic notes, Torah notes what a combination. He should win an award for these two volumes. These are the things that you'll be reading in one hundred years. It's it's such an important contribution to scholarship. And actually it's a beautiful volume too. I don't know if you could see it has a picture on the front here it's beautiful of Revolver and Romo's signature. The publisher is the same one who put out the Safer Worth studying together. And if you look in volume two on abracious volume one, page three point fifty four, Arambam mentions how yebum liberate marriage is something that came before the Torah. And then it says alf a Fishhimi Mitstanatara hi am min hugmy bay kid he shiro topia mitsu Rambam says this that the Torah incorporated things that came from before matan Tora. So you and and and as his his method kadarkoh Kodesh, I should say, Rabbi MyMoon has a long, long note giving all sorts of examples of it. The book actually appears with the approbations from both Rabbi Shelat and Rabbi Masus in addition to other people, I have two more things I want to share with You're actually one more thing. And this goes back to the At the end of class, Mel asked a good question if we recall I had said that, Uh, I spoke about how there's a dispute in atomud in masakasuka. Why do we dwell in the sokka? Is it because we dwelled in sukkot actually literally tabernacles or the onea covil the clouds of gory? And I said, mentioned it's a it's a dispute in the Talmud and the chochron when the cho gives this, gives his ruling, the chochron adopts in the Chochanara that it's because of the oneakavode and diest and ram Mazous mentions that Poskins. So I wrote, what do you mean, chocarne Hoskins, Why is this at all relevant? Uh? He gives he offers an explanation, but it's not soak. Andazus said, well, technically, you're right, it's not soak. However, we need to know it because you have a kavana when you sit in the sokka. And I said, well, I I just threw out there, like, I guess this is for cabalistic reasons, and mil in the comments said no, not just for cabalistic reasons, and then I replied, but I think, I think that's what the kafa Chai mentioned. So I looked at the Kafa Kai and the Kavachim does speak about cabalistic nihud, but the Kavachaiam does not mention. But the kava Chiam this is in tough he uh, he's quite apart from that. He says you have to have kavanna thinking about why you're in the sokka, that it's a naneha kavode. And I was thinking about this uh during the week because it didn't really make sense to me. Why when every other mitzvah do I do? We have tamaya mitzvoh the reasons for the commandments, but we don't think about them with small means. You do the mitzer for the sake of the mitzvah. That's where a Haram of elusion taught us. So where else do you have this notion that when you do the mitzvah, like we observe Shabis, we observe it because this reason or we do it. We mention it. But that's the Mitzvah's not totally, as we say, not dependent on it all the other things we do. It's kavana means not the kavana of the reason. The kavana is the intention to do it. Well, Ah, I was pondering this and not coming up with any good answers or by Mortorchai. Well, I think at the end when we finished, and I don't know seven a classes, we should have like all the pictures of all these people we got rebby Mordchai, we have a we have roving from Paris. We have a whole group of Robert you know them all but by first name. So maybe we'll show their pictures if they're willing. Uh rebbi h Rabbi Mortchai pointed out something amazing which I want to share with you, which I did not know, and it's in the bach the by Scottish of Reviewal Circus. If you look in Jokos Soka tough for that. Hey, that's where the gets it. Where the tour says you focus on the covode and uh the box says, as follows, why does the tour tell us this? Again? He has the question I had, and the box says that Socca is an exception.
Speaker 1: Soukka.
Speaker 2: You need to focus, according to the tour, on the reason. Why Why does he say this? Because the plus says lemannie doudem so that everyone will know and therefore everyone knows what the kavana of the mitzvah uh. And then he says, there's two other examples, the box says, and which he quotes from the the tour. The tour gives the reason. The tour tells us in jos sitsus in se mares. The tour tells us that uh. He says, you should have kavana when you wear it, that God told us to wear it. Condation news Carco missus off that we should remember all the mitzvahs and also the in host fillin the uh. The show the tour says, uh, I don't recall if the mentions this as well, But the tour says, as well, he gives the reason when you wear it, uh, what you're supposed to have thinking what the coven is supposed to be. So the Bach explains, Oh, and why why does the bach explain why are these separate uh citizens film? Because again, look at citsus, the box tells us uh because and he says he doesn't do it with any other mitzvahs, where you don't have to have a special, separate kavana. Just have the mitzvah and do that. Because it says by cisus lamont is caru, we all know la month is carew as we say it. You should remember it that that implies not just to do it, but to have another intention. And what does it say, it's fillin la monte. So the tour actually says that the Bach actually says that Suka fill in and sitsus are exceptions in that the tom the understanding of the commandment is tied in to the mitzvah like we don't have with other mitzvots. Incidentally, one more point which in the new Majunia Shalim edition it points out interestingly, it's a bit of a problem why Rabelzer says that it's ananea cover to Rebiya Kiva says it's actual, because if you look in the halahak midrash, the names are reversed, and it seems that other people have the names reversed, perhaps even in the Talmud. So it's and because normally we would assume we'd go through bikiva. So anyone is interested in exploring it more, you can look that up. Oh, I do see one more thing I want to point out to you. Uh, We're gonna well, this ties right into what we're going to do now, because we stopped. If you recall in the middle of the letter back and forth to Rubbi Masu's about the issue of the refrigerator on shabas and secretion on nirole, which I'll do some clarification on in a second, and i'll show you. We didn't get to his reply yet. But before I do that, I just want to share something because my impressions have been over the years that does a lot has happened recently when it comes to electricity, and people are unaware of it. So I want to share a few things that maybe you don't know. The first is a couple of years ago, following came out YPU the Shabace switch. Here it is something called the Kosher switch. This came out with the approbations of some really leading rabbis. You can go to the website and see all about it. This guy worked a number of years on it put a lot of money in and it would enable you You can still buy it, but because the great Rabbis didn't go along with it, no one's going to It would enable you to turn lights on on shabis. The way it works is that like let's say if you opened your door and that maybe sometime during the day a wind would come in and turn on the light. So that would be fine because you're not there's no gruma, you're not said anything up. The technology here is that every second, like thousands of things are going back and forth and by and it's the same thing by you opening it up, there's no guarantee that will turn on the light. But since millions of things are happening in a second and the light usually will go on within a second or two, and so this seemed to be a way where you could open the turn on the light on shoppis. And although the ruling of the big rabbis was that it's a grama and they wouldn't allow it. You can look on the website here you can see a lot of big rabbis who supported it. They all then had to retract. You can even see lectures on it. Videos here. Let me show you what. This is a well known post sake in America in New York before he was forced to retract or was convinced. Listen what he says. This would have changed the way we live.
Speaker 5: I've seen the coast of switch that which was produced by Ramanasha Colatte, read the counters and all the details which is mentioned in the counterest. The switch has been demonstrated. It's clear this is not a Gromas Shabis, there's no question of any miloha being done by using that switch in Masada Cheney. I recommend that anyone asks their own love to find out whether it is within the spirit of Shabis, although there is no real maloja, but as you regarding the actual practical usage.
Speaker 2: In fact, my tenth grade Rebbi was even interviewed. I guess because it is by him. I listen to what he says. And then on the website there's a retraction that here my tenth grade rebbe, after having observed the way in which it works. It's dynamic. It seems, in my humble opinion that al pi aloch is completely permissible. Uh. And then he goes on so that didn't take off. However, there is something else if you don't know about and you can read about it on Wikipedia. The all about the kosher switch. There's an another item that is permissible. It even comes with an ou on it. If you're wondering the ou. They don't only give ashkoka, they give as at least a couple of letters. Not everyone knows about it, but there's a way to have lamps on on shabas. I travel with a special light that I use. I can turn it on and off on shabis. Uh. I bring it to the hotel. I bring it to Europe. In an Morocco trip, I was talking about it and no one believed me, but someone on the bus actually had it with them. So I want to show you something now. And this is this is one hundred percent mutter. If you've never seen it, it will change your life. You could have a nightlight on shabis, you could have other things. It's called the shahbulb. Well, here's the video of it. That's right, old baum, and you can get it all the Steign stores. Here you go, let's play it.
Speaker 3: Two kinds of people own shabas, those who can't read and a spikee. Some creative but dangerouslutions.
Speaker 1: There are those who can't sleep.
Speaker 3: Introducing Shobal, the kosher solution to all shabast lighting problems, be it too much or too little light, as you slide the lever, tiny covers, slide over the led lights inside the ball, cutting edge technology meets out of the box thinking and the only ball you can actually adjust on shoppers shove for shab lighting solutions.
Speaker 2: So that is no different than the item that became popular. Where are they called that thing you turned the uh? I forgot what they called it. This is the light doesn't go off, it just you close it and open it. And this can plug into any of your It's just the ball. It's a regular ball. So the idea that you can't turn your bulbs on and off, now you can turn bulbs on and off. And this has been accepted by everyone. Even the satmar have it. But surprise when I tell people about it on my trips and they still have never heard of it. The Shabbol dot com. Let us now move to the safer, more interesting things. As always, someone emailed me because I'm always saying interesting things. Have we ever had a class that didn't have interesting things? I hope not, because then what's the point of coming out on a Monday night at age thirty. If it's not going to be interesting, I hope at least the Jacob Neusner, who wrote like ten books a year, and he was always criticized. How can you write so much? He said, if I say even one new thing in a book, it could be a three into page book. That makes it worth it. I don't. I won't go that far. But if we say one or two new things, then it's worth it. We are in the middle of the letter to Rabbi Mazou's. I forgot, incidentally that in the last letter, right at the end, I sent him something from Rabbi Goren, which I think you'd appreciate it. Because Rabbi Mazou's writes that Yeshiva students should go on to Yulim. You shouldn't be so pious and say, well, I'm not going to go on to to U. I'm gonna stay in learning. My son, by the way, they can go on to Yulim now, so he's in the go on. And if he told me, I mean he tells me. He goes to sleep early. He guys, getting up at like five thirty or six am every morning to Kraser to review and all that. If he said I'm staying because I want to learn, it would be a mistake. And when Rabbi Mazou said that, I sent him what appears in Rev. Goren's autobiography. He tells us the following story that when he was young, he was with Roff Cook and he was with him. They were Hara carmel, and he took a gamara with them, and he was sitting and he was learning or if Goran used to do a ten block day, and Ruff Cook came into the woods where they were, he saw with the gamorah, and he took the gamara from him, and he says, I'm gonna tell you a story. He says Whereff Cook says, when I was a young rabbi, I went on vacation for a month. The city I guess there was Bise where that he was a city rouv. In two places, Zimil and Boyce, they gave him a month off, like we give our rabbis a month off. And in one of the relaxation places in Lithuania, he says, I was sitting in the forest and I had a gamar in my hand, and suddenly an old rabbi he doesn't say which who his name came to me. He is a godobatura and you're a chimayim. And he took the gamar away from me. And he says, this is gizl. This is thievery, me thiever gamara. And ruff Cook says, what did I do? Who'd I steal? Why is it thievery? And the rabbi said to him the other rabbi, he says, I could tell by looking at you that you're a young rabbi and you certainly receive a salary from your city to be a rev. Now Here you are in a place of relaxation for an entire month, you're also getting a salary. Now, why are you getting a salary? The rabbi center of Cook. You're not serving the people, you're not even in the city, so why should you get a salary for this month? And he says the answer is that the people know that you work hard for eleven months, but you need to have a time to relax. They understand that, and therefore they pay for you to come for a month to relax. If you're sitting here learning tomorrow the same way you did during the year, you're not relaxing and you're not getting their money's worth. So he's not saying don't learn, but you shouldn't be doing the same hard sadarium of Rabbi Parnas when I was in high school, said that that's when like when he was not in a regular satyor he learned to skim alitara, things like that. But you shouldn't be doing the regular learning because the community is not paying you to have vacation to they're paying you to relax somewhat. So I sent that to him. We were in the middle of the letter. If you recall, I'll give you the page number here again for those following along, you can still buy the book if anyone wants to. It's Simon Koff Mambete, page three oh nine. Well that's the response mine I had written to Rabbi Mazou says, what about if you forget to turn off the U turn off the light in the fridge when I say turn off the light, you can also if you wish, uh, I want to show you another item if I can get on my screen here for a second, hmm, oh, here, you can buy this item if you want to keep a light in your refrigerator up, snow wrung book rum thing. I'll show you that later. It's called the Shabis switch. It's you say, I bought it six years or five years ago, almost six years ago. You just you put it in the refrigerator in every year of Shabas or Thursday. It's I've never forgotten. You just slide it. You don't have to take out the light, and back and forth. It says currently unavailable. I assume you can still get it. They were sent to me from Passaic, so they probably still have it at the Staring store there. The question was, though, what do you do with the if it's all? If you forget to turn it off? And I mentioned it. Ramamazous said, you have a cutdown below the age of Renoch Minder And I said, maybe six years old. Actually I don't think that's correct. I think six is already Reno. I think Reno maybe four years old, I think would be. But then I quoted Rubby a body who well explained, and here's our or rub By a body. He showed his pictures before here. He is from Lakewood, very original, and he had a different perspective. He thought for reasons, I explained and I'll say again that you could just open and close it. You know, people, oh, they look at rubbaia body sometimes and they think he has these far out sachin. But I can tell you from studying all of his writings that it only seems far out because of the I guess the environment has moved in a certain direction. But everything he says is actually based on hawka, not always based on the accepted hawka, but it's nothing's made up. And sometimes it reminds me almost when Raimsolvcha wrote at the end of one of his articles, not rupture reconstruction a different article. Then until he learned your adaya in Smigra, he had no clue. I mean, when he earned your day, he learned things like you can serve cold cuts on a dairy plate, something which of course everyone knows you can't. But of course that's I mentioned this already before. But the disagrees h. So that's what's interesting about Rabbai Abadhi. Then you have to start asking, well, well, how come we moved in a different direction, And we'll see in this case immediately why. But I just want to give you another example, because his kostros views, of course are the most interesting. And now we're coming on paysack. If you just go to the website of his kids, you can see that they have a paysack list and they tell you what you can buy on pay soach without special ashkokhas or anything. But everyone always points out, well, kalem, the kalem that you can't you know, it could be cooked on a non Kosher KLi. And when you learn yoidea, actually you learn that it's not so clear. And on the contrary, there's a principle of stomp khal and yomam that you assume that a u tend so from a non Jew, from anyone hasn't been used in the last twenty four hours. Now there's a dispute whether that applies to industrial or not. But I want to read you something just to show you how he's not out of left field. And all these people say like like if if a non Jew made something in his house and in his pot, everyone would assume, well, you can't eat it, because even if it's kosher, it's cooked by a non Jewish pot. Reach is just something here. This isn't a class incostros, But I just it's in your adaya. Simon couvrete sif kuttandala. And this is the tas quoting the taurusatas of the Rama, And I'll read it to you in Hebrew Hamino lajakel we no sem dvarium hakalahem. The practice is to be lenient and to buy from non Jews things that they cook in their own pots, something which everyone knows, knows and quotes. You can't do She ain't by me from bisholakum bishegilium because it's not Uh, there's no bishegolium here. Why, oh well, vestam clay and ain'tomam there. We assume that they haven't you unless we know. We assume they haven't used the pots in the last twenty four hours. AfLIA to know, Saint Tom, we've got a rilla, even know rilla. It's we assume that it's it's forbidden. What does that mean? Rachrilla? That means you can't tell them to do it, You can't order from them. What does he say? Mikoma com w washed the street on a cane of arilla. The Rama says, when you buy it, that's not rila. In other words, you're not ordering it, you're not asking the person to make it. He makes it, and then you're walking down the street and you see it and then you buy it. That's already the dav Od b Dieva means after the fact ray noahgame hit or pol Krako. He says, therefore, the min hug in Krako, that's where the rama it was. You can go see his gever shouldn't have He says, Lek knows how goziem show Mayam shaimavashlimagoium that the minnug here in Krako is to buy these nuts of water nuts whatever that is that the non jewice cook oh shardzvarin so Ramah tells you that they would buy stuff that's uh, was made to cook the way they make these nuts on the street in Manhattan, something like that.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And he says it's not h. You can assume it's not. The pot hasn't been used with tarfus in the last twenty four hours and the ramud didn't make it. So when you see all these sucking from of a body that rely on the the ingredients and you say Kaylee and Kaylee mah, I mean it's uh, he has sources, take my word for it. He knows halaha better than almost anyone today because he's not a brisker. He spent his entire life, even in Lakewood, only on helahala Issa. That's how he became the post take of the la with Hiva precisely because he doesn't do hakiras and he's not a roshaeshiva. He's allahala Now. So Ravabadi said, ask your ocal worth axtrabie if you rely on it. But he said, you could close the open and close the freezer. And I said, and he says, because it's an example of we called cicurational nicole. And someone asked, correctly, well, why is that thatsicurat that you don't benefit from You are benefiting from it, because even if you don't want the light, the light's there. I Ravabodi does thinks that if you don't want it, then it's not really I looked into this. It could be that this depends on it. There's a dispute. You have something called sicuration irs uh cicratio that you don't care about. And some people distinguish between a secretion that you don't care about, which would be the case of the light versus the and but you are benefiting from the light. But others say no, there's no distinction. So you can look into that if you want. It's uh, I don't want to spend any more time, and I'll just tell you what rabbi and he relied on the aura, as we saw the aura who holds not just the our other sources as well, that but mostly the aura. That it's a secretion is m Rabbi Mazou's replies that Ravidio Safe, who also mentions this idea, rejects it that we don't rely on the aura, and and he says that even my head to open the refrigerator with the the young person, he says, people came and they attacked me for it, but then I found there a vadios if agrees with me, so you can ask your local rabbi. Although this has goes back to the issue of the importance of the ach. The Nassen Rome says that secretion you can rely on an air force. Generally we don't use it, but if you forget to turn your light on body says you can open it, open and close it, relying on that, and he also he gives some other reasons as well. He says it's called a normal way of turning on the light. He gives a couple other reasons, but it's still is radical. I don't know of any other post take who who holds this, but it's completely based on the sources. Now, the next question I asked Rabbi Mazus, it's really the last. It's a long one, but it's the last one is as follows. It is with kostrous of birds, and I'm just gonna give you a brief summary. Anyone interested in the topic. H Rabbi Kelman has been getting all the great people. Uh this last year, Rabbi Ari z Ivatovski gave a class on Thanksgiving on turkey. Why can we eat turkey? Who says it's kosher? I mean it comes from the New World. It's not like there's a tradition. And the halaha is according to that you need a tradition because the guitara tells you what you can eat. But the problem is we're not sure really what all these birds are in the Tower Art school doesn't even translate them. So the idea is that we don't eat unless we have a tradition. And you could hear the whole class by Rabbi Zivatovski. What I just focused on a little thing. Today we have how many five six types of birds we eat? And yet there used to be a lot more, and it's not so long ago. Take a look at this what I'm gonna show you now. In the nineteenth century, the rabbi the shot in Lavorno. His name was yit Mayrakain. He wrote a safer called Zivrekohen. I believe it's eighteen eighteen thirty two. Yeah, and with all the walls of schwitza. But at the beginning of the safer he has pictures. Here, here's where's the pictures? Really the pictures are. Originally he looked like this, Hold I'm black and white. But in some no, hold on, you can see it better. This is how it looks. But in some editions of the book it was colored in. So it's it's beautiful with the color. And here you even have some names. But take a look here, so he has he gives thirty different birds that were eating in Italy, thirty and he even gives you the name, and he and gives you the numbers, and then he gives you the names. So, for instance, look at number one it's a Hebrew the book except for at the beginning number one. So whereas this is one, it's on the angle, and in the safer, it's not turned on this way, it's it's right side up. I don't know why in the ozma they changed it. Here you have I don't know how pronounced it. It's fagiano. Its pheasant. So here's a show you the pheasant. Number one, that's a pheasant, or give you in color, where's the color pheasant? Here? Here that's a pheasant. And then we have all these other birds that you can go through the list if the in the copy on oltzer Hachma. Fortunately they they have the English. I think it's English. Here there, Yeah, partridge three is partridge. We don't need partridges. Let's see what a partridge looks like. So here there's a partridge. Now, all these thirty birds were eaten in Livorno. And that's a masoura. And the whole talk of Rabbi Zatovski is trying to find these massras because pheasant was a problem asant, they says, But who says the peasant we have is the same pheasant they had in Europe. You can't just rely on the names. So Rabbi Zaviatovski and Ari green Span they brought the pheasant to Rev. Joseph kaf and he's testified, Yes, this course is kosher. We ate it in Yemen and they they they checked it in front of him, and he wrote a letter. And then he shows a picture of her by Tendler. Uh, you know eating it. They served it at the feast. Uh Re Schachter holds pheasants kosher. How can you not hold it's kosher. The rabbi of my show, uh, Rabbi Spivac used to just teach srita yu and he did a pheasant. He told me he would check the pheasant for me if I wanted it. But my wife she doesn't have to clean the hell thing out, So forget that.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But you My question, Turlie Mazou's, is well, then can we rely on these?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: This list here, we have the pictures, we have the name, it's the massra they et it. Can we eat it now? Aris if Atofski his' point is that he says, well, you can't rely on pictures, and you can only you have to have an actual oral tradition. So you have to find the old show from Morocco or from Aiden or anything like that, and uh Reman Mazous doesn't say that Remimsous. Well, I'll tell you what Rema Mazou says that if this, if these two move note are known, that if you look at it, you could see this is a partridge. And of course you have the name, and then Mahabur was a you're a Jamayam f Charlie Smalleralayium. You can rely on it. It's like, for instance, if if all of a sudden, God forbid, all of us were killed by the Nazis or something, and the only people allow live or five year olds Jews, and then they all come back to Yidish kit later and they want to know can they eat a chicken? Well, there's no one to ask, because they were all children when all of us were killed. You say they couldn't eat a chicken. Of course they could eat a chicken. The chicken has the name chicken. They know chickens were eaten. It's the same chicken. You don't need. It doesn't make sense to say you only would need an o world tradition if you can establish it by pictures, by other things. And then so Ray Mazous says, you can rely on those. The ou has not accept a pheasant for reasons that we can't understand, but they did accept quail. Quail was only recently brought back. But there's other birds as well. And then Rabbi Mazou says, a few years ago there was a they did a masiba at Barilon, a feast, and they brought all these rare birds. That's why by Sivatovski, and which there's a masora and even hagavin, the locusts, the grasshoppers, and they invited me to come, and I couldn't come. I asked Rabbi Ziviatovski since he organized it. So they had swordfish, they had all sorts of interesting things. He said. He went to red Mazzoos and he asked him and he couldn't come. But this is the sort of thing he'd be interested in. So it's uh. I don't know in Israel how easy it is to get peasant if the rabbi nuts certify it. But it has the masoura. And that is again, anyone interested to take a listen to rabbis of Atowski's class on that that, Rayi Mazous says, you can rely on it. It shows you how much we've lost. Though. If one hundred and fifty years ago they were eating thirty birds in Italy, they're not even them today in Italy. They're they're like us. They were certain birds we've settled on, and that's terrible. I already quoted you or Shalmy that we're going to be called to account for all the pleasures that we are given that we don't take advantage of. If these are a kosher bird, and mess you're a vegetarian, you should be eating it. And so I give a lot of credit to Arisaviatovski for his efforts in tracking down the old chi. And but then I go on about Livorno, and I say as follows. I say that a few years ago I asked one of your students, a very nice man, raviat Erddi, he's the Rabbi of Lavorno, and he had never even heard of this safer. And then Rabbi, I say that, Rabbi did he told me something interesting? Yeah, the the great Ridau Refleim Josef David Aula is buried in Livorno. Was was buried in Livorno. Refaim Josef Doavazza they used to say about him Josef as Josef caro ad Josef him like, oh come k Yosef, none has arisenally Josef. Now they say it about Revad Josef. Before after the Sardi referred to one great rabbi as Maran, and that was Hi, mister, an unbelievable figure. Well, he died. He was living in Livorno. He died there and he was buried there. She Rabbi Jitzak niss Him was very attached to Rabbi Rida as many as Farda Kdoli were. Such an unusual interesting figure. He's a bibliographer. He his usage of tanach is just out of sight. How he knows all this? He wrote so much. He was a michel. At first he's raising money for Archie Strael. He man ends up in Italy and stays there many many years. He marries his bride from Pisa, and he lives in Livorno, and then he dies there and reminiss him convince the community to allow the new State of Israel to take the bones of the Rida and rebury him in the land of Israel. And if you go to harman Uchos, you can go they built this big caver. It was a huge funeral. It was a very big deal. By Didi said to me that the community now when it's it's a community of may five hundred Jews struggling to hold on. He says, they regret very much now that they agreed to that. Why because now you have the Kavarian tours. You have these people that go on the tours to see all the graves and the Rida. There's a few Sphardak sages who the ash Hasidim love and and one of them, but one of them is the hum Of course, because of the Bauschampto of the letter from Progressional Kit to the b the ri Da, all the Ashkenazi know the ri Da and had Rida still been buried in Livorno. It would be a stop on the Kavaran tours. All the Hasidium would come to visit Ridain and that would bring money into the community. They tried to open a little restaurant, but they get no tourists, so they can't. But if they had the Hasidium been coming every summer when things before COVID, you'd have regular groups of Hasidium they journey to these places. It would bring a lot of money into the community in the Tarren motion tours. We went there two times, and we went to Livorno. It's very nice. Then we stopped going because kosher winery opened, and although I know Rebby Killman much prefers going to the shoals the winery. They feed us lunch there and it's people like wineries, and we don't have time to do both. So we go to Pisa instead of going to Levorno, which is a fascinating place. Livorno it was a way called an Irva Ambs trail. It was the center of Tora Judaism into the nineteenth century, and it was it was. It was a port city, a fascinating place and a beautiful, interesting show. But no one goes there anymore. And then I said to but they do have Godoli Moore barried er jos Er gasfer beIN a moasaic, and I tell Rebemazous that the square in front of the show is called Piata said been a mosaic, And so he replies as follows to me that when they brought the bones of the Rida to Israel Rabia, Levine wasn't sure if he should go because he wasn't sure if it was a good thing to move, you know, moving someone's bones. Even Tara decerol is not so simple. But then he did like the go rojagra, you open up the tanach. And what did he come to? Shiramalas la David. That's referring to u Rida, you know, go into the house of God. You know, it implied to him that he should go to the funeral, and he went. And then he says, there was a question thirty eight if the bones of the Vilnagon should be brought to Israel. Some people want to bring ram Nachman's bones also, but they asked for Jim Moser Grazinski, and he opposed moving the Vilnagone. And then it says, this is what ramamo Zou says. Now after the Holocaust, they do not know exactly where the Villnagone is buried. And he says, so I saw in this book aid for emotion praeger lojaval. He says, isn't it unfortunate? Sir Mazous says, they should have brought the grave the bones of the Villainagone. This notion of the girl. Incidentally, he what Reba Mazou says is absolutely correct. I call your attention to h where is it here schne or Lyman in a post from twenty twelve, who is buried in the Vlnagones tomb? And he will he explains exactly what's going on that what is marked as the Villainagones tomb? Where is it? He says at the end, he examines all the evidence and he tells he tells you where he's buried, but not where the marker is. So Reba Mazous is correct on this. And then he says to me about Robbie Bena Mosaic, and a new book just came out published by Rabbi Zinny of Haifa. We've spoken about him translation from French from the manuscript, but he says, rebenah Mosic, his books are very important. I did I think two or three classes on into our emotion. He says that the rabbis of Aleppo, they attacked him a lot of r a nothing. They attacked him because Ben a Mosic was citing ancient sources to prove things. In fact, he even cites an ancient source to support He cites sources to support Madrassa. He cites Poliny that the Pharaohs used to like to bathe in blood as a toe cure, like their leprosies. And he ties it into the midrash that talks about the bathing in the blood of the of the Jews. So they I'm not going to say he was the nus and Sliffkan of his day. That has there been a mosaic, but he was citing all these ancient sources to help us understand passages in in the Torah, things today which are kosher one, but in Aleppo they were always extremist in Aleppo. And then he mentions that someone's working on to reissue the parish and that is the enough I think we can say uh for oh In. And he says what rober Body says that he tries to his his head there that the view that electricity is not a tower prohibition, it's a it's only rabbinic he says, Ravadio safe, this is a ps Ravadio Safe disagrees with that. So that's Simon Kuffman bays. Now where at Simam Gibble, we have a few more letters of from Maszoo's two more letters here and then we'll get one or two more. Now they're small. We went through the long ones. We're on page three ten, and we all know who Rebby Salavachik is because we're we're Ushkenazi where we're Americans, I should say, uh. And we know that he's a philosopher, he's a holarist. I'm reading Rebby massous this I sent this. This is from two thoy and twelve, his letter to me. I'm reading him all these years, since nineteen eighty nine. Not once does he ever sight of Salivachic. He's citing sit see, he's signing everyone. He's not citing of Soliveachic. How could someone like him not cite of Salivachik? So I sent him Nefa Sharov. If you want to get a sense of of Solivachikachics perspectives and ideas, nothing's better than of Reba Schachtra's first volume, Nefashov, which has mistakes he acknowledges. We're going to see a mistake that he acknowledges to me where he says he acknowledged mistakes. He did it within a year, he had to finish it within a year, and the mistakes are always when it says Shamati, that's been my experience. That is, he has things. Every when it's personal, then you can rely on it. But sometimes there's things in the legends in Yu, so he'll cite it's Shamati I heard, So who do you hear from? Doesn't mean it's reliable, and I can give you some examples perhaps where it's not reliable. But I sent Herma Mazuza of solvation Nehasarov and he says as follows to me. He writes back to me, I don't know the writings of hagon Revs. All I know is Colomun cold do fak, which is his classic Zionist uh say isha munab abadaide which is the only man of faith, and his other writings. In other words, here you have Rabbi Mazus. Granted he comes from Tunis, but he thought that Rabbi Solivachik was like a great Orthodox philosopher, like like Levinos maybe or more than Levinos, of course, because he's a tomak Hacham. But then he's a philosopher. Then he wasn't a great rosha shiva. That he wasn't a post sake, and he was a post ag although he didn't write shows and shuvos. Generally he was a post sake for bost. He was a head of law commission for the RCA. He was god Oshmagdoli and Rabbi Mazuz didn't even know that. It's almost like Red Mazuz is like these uh scholars of Jewish philosophy. Sometimes they portray Rabbi Salavachik as fundamentally a philosopher who happened to teach talmud. You know, that was just how he made his living. He uh, he taught Talmud, but really essentially he was more of a philosopher. It's not true at all. Rabby Salivaichik was folk. His major full focus was on the study of Gamara and uh Halaha and all these other things were extra and enable you to understand Tom would better. But rassolve Acuk was primarily focus on his Tom would study and I guess in the summer on his breaks, then he would focus and write about these other things. This is different in rough Cook. Roof Cook's major focus. Even if you tell me that eighty percent of his time was spent on Hallajah as a rove, his major focus, and he says it explicitly, was not on the Hawka matters. Roof Cook says that I don't have originality, much originality when it comes to hallaka. My originality is in aga, dhah and philosophy. So this is I don't know if this is the rebbei Mazous observing the Yeshiva world's portrayal of the rove as this philosopher and try to remove from him the fact that he's the greatest rosashiva of his time, as Roy Tenros says, the greatest rosashiva. So as people said, what do you mean, what about your father in law? But Rai Tenroth's point was that his father in law was great, and this is mostly seen as a postsake or solvacik as a rosha shiva. And then he says, uh in matters of how I never saw or heard of him until now. And it appears that this is a form of modern Orthodoxy Orthodoxy, a modern uh uh. Only someone who's living in a completely different world than us would not know that the love is uh is so great in those areas. And then we get a different question, and I think, uh, well, I know some of you, David Eisham, like the Susanna, will like it, and some others of you will like it. Getting back to a grammatical point, and uh, we know the ten commandments. We spoke out the ten commandments. How do you say ten commandments of Hebrew Sarah to Debra Sarah sa debros. So already we see it's not s sir, it's it's it's masculine. So the question is, uh what? First of all, what what's this word? A debrot? Pull up something here? You're gonna have to show you. Uh is it if we say ha debrou? Then uh? Why is it is that? Say? Is that feminine?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 2: Hold on, I'll get you to post what I want to show you in a minute. Then if it's feminine, why is it sarahs what I had text? Email? Not email what I had mailed? And this will be the last. Well, actually we started a two minutes later, so we can go on. I I asked for my mazusas follows. Is it really correct that we refer to it as the as sarata debro? Maybe it should be hold on, let's see where my page is here. No, I'm gonna have to maybe here it is. Oh yes, maybe it should be like who says it's a Sarah ta de bro? And what would be there if it's sta'var, then would that be debro I wrote a proof. It's not my proof. What I'm gonna show you now I saw and believe it or not. In the Journal of Biblical Literature years ago. It's not exactly your regular nighttime reading, and but Journal of Biblical Literature an article by Robert Gordis. Robert Gordis, who's a great scholar of Tanach and taught for many years in the seminary before that, was a concerner, acting conservative rabbi. He wrote the standard work on creative so he wrote an article on general Biblica. Sure his grandson is a bit of a not a bit. He's a real public intellectual. Daniel Gordis, if you know Daniel Gordis who he's involved with tikva also, and he's written a book on big you know, he wrote a couple of years ago a requiem for Conservative Judaism. He comes from Royalty, you know, the Gordis family, and his father's a Rabic serve rabbi. And basically he's explaining why he's transferred his allegiance to Orthodox even though maybe theologically he's not Orthodox, but there's no future in the conservative movement, and Robert Gordis himself, at the end of his life, I think it was his last essay, said that we failed because we never make made demands. We assumed that if you want to get the people, you have to lower the standards. And yet look at RaBaD. Habbad never tells people that they can drive on shabas. The fact that people drive to their showing shab is fine, they drive, but they Habbad never legitimizes it. Rabbad keeps their standards and always hoping that people move up higher and higher. Conservative Judaism thought that they would attract people by lowering the standards, and yet people are not attracted to that. People are sophisticated enough to understand their standards and maybe they don't measure up to it, but they're not that you don't need to lower standards. So Gordis acknowledge that. Well, Gordis pointed out the following I want you to look here in the makoto. It says as follows, Uh, you see where my marker is. You see the marker? Yes, it says manisht hadavar ha me cool? So what is how does this we know? Monused on?
Speaker 3: All?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: How does this matter? Davar differ me coole? How is that it's supposedly pronounced. It's not pronounced deep rot. It has to be pronounced devar rote, manna, no minda ham we called devar rot, and then it goes on shaku on hayami dimosha. What we see from here is that in Gorda says in how is it called natoo, it says Sarah the ten words or the ten statements. So what Gorda says is that if you look at Rassal, the ten devarim become the ten de varot. And we have lots of examples where a masculine word will have a feminine ending. So I wrote, Tom's what do you make of this? And what we'll end with this? This is to be our last point. What do you make of this that really we're all making a mistake. It should it shouldn't be a Sarata deprot, It should be a Sarah devarote. And the proof is the Marilta, which it's clear that the pooral of Davar they're giving Davar with above tough ending. So should we apply the same thing to a serata debrot rebel Mazouz replies to me, he actually, we have one more thing after this. He doesn't think so. He doesn't think so, and he thinks that the root of debro is as follows, This is the sort of stuff I even looked in BDB, I couldn't find this. He thinks, the root of debro is found in where is it? The book of your Miyou this word chapter five, very unusual word at five thirteen. Look at this Pussic van naviemy the prophet shall become win de bear aimed by him, and the word is not in them. This is a I think it's pretty much unique, where instead of a davar you have or deboor you have the word debar used as a noun. And Maszous says, this, the poral of debro is de bear. It's not debra or anything like that. It can't be feminine because there would then be it wouldn't be a serah. So the poral of Sarah a debrot is this unusual word de bear. And he says, what's the and he says, we have a number of examples like this, a vote it's a feminine ending l quote and he gives other exam note and he says, for whatever reason, the word debar a word the poral is a feminine debrote, and that is the tradition and this and it's based on the authentic word debar, unlike what Gordis says that really it's all a mistake deva rote. I don't know if there's any other solution. It either has to be devote like Gordas says, or deeprote. But if it's deeprot, which we assume it is, that's the tradition. The root has to be debear. Now, go in your shoulder next time you're there, if you're going to shoulder shavice, or when you get your vaccine, and ask your local, your locle hebras, ask your okrask what's the singular of debro? We all know the bro, what's the singular and they'll say Dovar probably, or but then if it's dovar, how is debro this squirrel of dovar. That's the first question I asked him. And the final one we'll end with is you can't see my question, I'll read you his answer and then i'll explain the question. He says, the word tora is certainly a feminine word. It can't be massaculine. If if we say katra, what it means is the Torah in the Torah Katok has written this, and we will never say the tora kotave. So what's going on here? Why let me show you something? And this shows that I'm not on top of things the way I should be. But I'm gonna show you tokim here. Where are we here? Yes? So if you look in, yes, if you look in the mission in Jazeno, let me starting. It's suthing chapter twenty nine, verse twenty. And this will take us back to r. Weeder. What does the tora say? It says God will Lord will single you out from all the tries from misfortune kho alo tabrit in accordance with the sanctions of the convenent. Now look at this hakatuva, the safer ha torajase that are written in the safer hat tora haase. Maybe I recalled this pussk where it clearly says hot tora jase. So I thought that maybe sometimes Torah could be feminine. Just because I have a hay ending well, I also has a hay ending Excuse me, I think that haze refers to a safer well that you know more than I did. But I wasn't looking at it because if i'd look, you'd see Rashi. Rashi actually deals with my question. So I will show you Rashi in a second. But I'll show you. But here's the problem. So then you turn to another pussk. This is what Rashi points out. Now if you look, but thank you for that, because you're anticipating Rashi. If you look here in Pericus, what does it say here? Then it says, uh, the word will bring upon you all together diseases. I'll share low katuf which are not written the safer. So here it says safer tost feminine. And before it said safer, it says, so, which is it? Well, had I I don't even remember when I wrote the letter. I was just I didn't check. I just had it in my mind for some reason, that sometimes Tora's masculine, it's not. It's never masculine. And Rashi raises the question in Aseno, and Rashi points out and he cites both and sorry and it's so he cites both verses. Look at this verse, look at the great dik took the time meme. It says the safer, So that as we saw for Rabbi Weeder that ends. That's say what we that closes?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I forget what uh? I forget the the technical English term they use. Then for someone's gonna remind me of when it it closes? The uh, the uh, the TODs what.
Speaker 1: What is it?
Speaker 2: It's disjunctive disjunctive. There you go. Disjunctive okay, disjunctive and conjunctive okay, so it ends it safe nance result. Now if you look in the other pussok here, it is exactly what's I think with Susanna who is saying it. It says haktuvaba torah disjunctive ends, so save goes together hase, So it's safah haze so that I that's not This is not mentioned in the book, but this will explain what's in the background here. Why there even would be a question? I only when I would send him on letters. I send him on these postcards. I didn't save them. Unfortunately, the longer letters I sent on my computer, I have them. So if you're ever wondering why there would be a question, know that Rashi himself raises it because Rashi understood that people would be confused.
Speaker 1: Like me.
Speaker 2: Of course, my problem is I should have looked it up and found where the verses are and then looked in Rashi, you don't have any excuses if he asked the question and the rebbie says to you, well, you know, Rashi asked that. You know, if he says, the Ramban asks it Pine Israel, but if he says Rashi asked, it's a little embarrassing. Well so I'm telling you it's a little embarrassing. But Rashi was attentive to this, that people would look at it and wonder why in one place it's it's masculine and other place is feminine. And Rashi tells us, look at the look at the Trump. The trump tells you, and that's why Trump is important. Okay, we have gone far enough. We went a little longer than usual, We started a little longer. Let me take some of the questions. We finished off. Oh, we finished off the simon. So we'll start next week the last of them. The short letters in this section from Rabbey Mazous. We'll hear from Rabbi Rosabi next week. And also, uh Robbe, it's a Kirshkovitz. I don't know if any of you know who that is. I'll explain a Kousenberger Hasted and Rabba Josef Lieberman and back to Rashmolashkenazi and then obabach Rebi, which I don't think we'll get to next week. So some of the let's get to some of the questions quickly. I know it's late. Someone's texting privately that Cole Ronson graduated from Yale, had a call him in the Yale Daily, the Oxford Uh. He clearly is very, very intelligent, and I know we'll hear more and more about him in the future. And Barak says, instead of saying alakas kamaa kama, say a fortiori, then will sound perfectly normal. I learned that word of fortyori when I was in high school, using the Sansino Talmud and Kava Homer. They would translate it as a fortiori. Abby texts that did. The Rev used to speak of Abraham, Moses, and Jacob. If you look at Ramosha Feinstein stationary, it says Moses he Ramosha wasn't so from if you look today, no one would dream of doing that. I think Ramosha Sturnbach doesn't even see Mosha. It's m o I Meisha. But Ramosha Feinstein lived before from Kite because he would sign his Moses. If it's an on the English side, it's English. So he wrote Moses. On the Hebrew he wrote Mosha. But uh, I remember Salavachik was Joseph P. Seliveachik, and that's that's the way they did it. Barra says Dolphin is competing with Jacob Newsder Yes and this year alone he's put out three or four books in two I mean twenty twenty one. We just started twenty twenty one.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And Aza Reel Shiner says Dolphin contacts someone on something mart to see if they can arrange the book band so that would sell better. Uh uh. And Barry says the story about Rivarol Footner, he heard it's a famous story because apparently Rev. Garrel came back to Yu and told everyone about the story. And Mel says a slightly different story. David says, he Huda and Tamar seem to have engaged in a form of ebo, and that's what he's referring to in in the parish of revav beIN a rumbam. Mel says the corenty y Keefe Rogrill turned around to leave the room and was rebuked by Ravutner. Could be you know these stories, there's a kernel of truth, but they get changed and everything I just told you the version I heard, it could be that. And and Israel says that Raybelski was strongly a post of the Koacho switch. They bought to Schachter, and Schachtra said that the rove would never approve. And then if you listen to Robie Ilbowitz gave a seer on it in which he explained the problems. But Rev Huda Braha, he's a he's I mean, we're not talking first the greatest of the grade in rigistral, but he's a very fine post agg and Tomain Hochem or Pinzack Zabiri, these are all students of a vaud jo say. And they came out that it's permissible because it's not groma and it's never it can't take off the guy. It's no one's gonna buy it when you can't. But we have the shop bulb, so that's okay. Yes, And Jay Yellen tells us he's used it for many years, the shop bulb, and uh, yeah, you my wife has it. Two of them, you know, a double one, and it's on. It's the regular bulb. She doesn't take it out. I however, when I go on, I have one. When I go to Florida, for instance, in two weeks, I bring it with me. I just have to not forget to leave it in the hotel room. But I take it everywhere I go. It doesn't burn out. It doesn't burn out. It's it's led, and they say it has ten thousand hours, so it's gonna be a long long time. And if it burns out, yeah, you buy a new one. It's not cheap. It's like twenty five dollars. You can get an Amazon, or you can get it in Lakewood, and you can get it in all all the storm stores. Yeah, the Kosher lamp, that's the big and bulk here, and you don't get good light in the Coasher lamp. I think the Kasher lamp's just a regular bulb. This is led. It gets. It's very nice. So if you don't know what it is and you want to have like a night light or a guest room light or something, it's very good. David says the work is not an a biography, but a biographical work on Goran by Avi Rath. David. By the way, David, you're going to be made famous again by me in my next quote. Not the post's coming out now, the next one, because I'm going to return to the Reseevin issue that you did all that work for me, So we'll get back to that. But I have to differ with you here. I said it's an orbiography. You said it's a biographic work. It's actually be in the middle. Rabbi Gorin gave some twenty hours of talks on a tape recorder recording his life. Avi Rath took those tapes and turned it into a work. So I mean, it's not a biography. He's writing first person, but it's it was he Avi Rath took the material. It's a ricat Avi rat and it says on the cover, but as autobiographia. So it's a Rabbi Gorin and it's first person telling his life story, which is then written down. iPad says, can't you just tape down the switch that is triggered when the frige door is open? That but let's say you want the light during the week. So this new thing is just go back and forth back and forth, and it's not a problem. Growing up, we always we never had a light, so I never had a light. We unscrewed it. But my wife likes the lights, so I guess I could put a reminder on my Google calendar to remind me. But I always remember every Thursday when I'm cleaning out, and that way you go back and forth if you want. Mel says that mono refrigerator says a pre program shoppist mode that knows when shapas and jumped up starts and automatically disables the light. H Well, you know, I've had my refrigerator twenty years and it's falling apart and the automatic water fountain doesn't work anymore. So we got to get her. When I have some money, I'm gonna buy you a new refrigerator. And I guess i'll I should find one of those that'll be helpful. I didn't know about that. Mel. Thank you very much, and thank you very Mike Kelvin. He has the link there for Rabbi Zivatowsky's very interesting.
Speaker 3: She or.
Speaker 2: Yes and thank you yell Echo for that as well. Ge very nice. And David has posted the picture of a tis with a Partridge. I think that's from ats was from Algeria, I believe, and now says he was with us on Lavorna. We had one lunch in a show. Yes we did, and there was. It's an active community with Mignonium and Shurim. There is is about after Rome. It's the only active community because Florence is nothing really just and to Venice is nothing. The only place with Balabatim is the Lavorno. And then these are people who've been there, who came back after the war. And indeed, someone privately texts me that the critics of Nefasharov note that the greatness of a Salvacik took vort Loch and transformed them to broad philosophical insights, where Schachter took the You went the other direction, Vortach. I'm thinking, look, you're not gonna get Larry Kaplan's understanding of the Rov and halachak Man. You're not gonna get any of that from Nefasharov. You're not gonna get the philosophy of the Rev. If you're looking how he deals with Herman Cohen and all the important stuff which you do get from Nefasharov is Therov in how he relates to different holahk matters, and you get a sense of his table talk, and table talk is important, and you get a sense of his she totd in many areas. Yes, sah dvarin correct. But and so Gordis's point was that became a devarote in wash razal Ah so so'sana such a quest Professor Mosha Greenberg, and he always said the singular as debar. So then I had I known that, I wouldn't have needed to write to Rabbi Mazous and Yellen Yakov tells us that Danny Gordis was a member of his show. He's up. He comes from a house instantly which is very liberal. His father was, as I recall, on the Rabbinic board of Americans for Peace. Now my senses I've only spoken to him once or twice, is that he's like many of these other people who went to Israel and were mugged by reality and became conservative while we're there. Monocham Calendar's a number. He's another example of this. They went there peace next and left this. But at the end of the day the Palestinian showed, and it took a long time for the left to realize this. It's why there's no Labor Party anymore. The Labor Party ran Israel and they can't even they might not even the next auction even get in. It's that there's no one to make peace with. And he's Gordas Dandy Gordis is very insightful and recommended. Also, Mel says it's a recent tick for podcast with Gil and Tevy Troy, who grew up in conservat Judaism, about the failure. I read the I didn't listen to it, but I saw the description about it. David says he doesn't think Gordoys can be correct and lady or shaw me, that spells the word I've debrote with a jud That would be true that but I think Gordas might say that that could be. We don't have actual manuscripts from the days of Razal, so this is maybe the way they they put in the yud later on the twelfth century, thirteen fourteenth whatever, maybe the printer. We'd have to look at the manuscripts they rashalm me, do they all have the yud? And then you could say, who says that that's right? That could be later copyists who edit so that that was Gordis's Kriddish. I don't know if anyone else agreed with him. I just wanted to hear what Rabbi Mazou said about that riders because it struck me as as interesting. And iPad points out the choice is for people like Gordois or Troy, do you want a community of ritual commitment versus community of intellectual freedom? I and the famous thing Halivni said, the people I pray with I can't talk to, and the ones I talked to I can't pray with. I don't see it that way. I think it's it's all about the ritual, because either there's no the other communities are not serious also intellectually, it's just it's just a lifestyle of people. If you want to be a real conservative Jew, which means like you do have in places you have the Upper West Side, but it means that you're show mare Shabis and Kostras, and you you end up having to go to an Orthodox synagogue because if your kids, if you're show more Shappists, you're in a saying in Salomon Chechter, literally, none of your kids' friends will be shomer Shabis. They're bar Mitsta's will be on Shabist, they'll have parties or they're deserving trait, and they won't think anything of it. So if you are a serious conservative Jew who believes in these things, you end up having to compromise on the rites and things like that, because there are no conservative synagogues that have strong committed lay people other than like in the Upper West Side. Maybe there's a couple others, and that's so. I don't think it's versus a community of intellectual freedom. I think it's simply you want to be with sheer shabist people. David says, the Marilta writes the word Dibert with the ut. Everything you said, David could be correct. Unfortunately, I can't point this out to Robert Gordis, but the example he gave from the Malta, I showed you where it says no hold on, David, does I showed you that Makoto that's twelve one. That's the one I showed you where no this is eleven, sorry, Pussia eleven. So I don't know. It's hard to know without looking at manuscripts. Daniels Stollmann says that I thought the birds we eat are related to commercial reasons. Not caustirous. No, that's not Look if no one'd like to taste, we wouldn't. But the ou will not give ashkaka to all the ones over in the picture, and they won't give it to pheasant, not because people won't eat it, but because they say they're not kosher. We can't determine their kosher. If their koshert someone will give ashkoka to the birds are easy. Generally, all these birds, they would eat them. In Italy, we're not dealing with a giraffe or something like that where it's hard to catch. I don't know what by born means enough, Telly, if you know, you tell me. Oh you think Barvorn is for Gern? What is fair Gern? Type that in Yes, and Gordon's borbiography is available in English. Uh okay, thank you Well. Highland Park has a strong conservative Synegou where a priority we have in Jersey. Also near me in West cald where where you have conservative you were Caldwell, who are Schomer Shabbists? But most conservation shows you go to, I've been to some. You could have a thousand families and other than the rabbi and the cantor. Literally, no one is showm Shabas and truth be told. I don't want to say this out out so loud, but even the rabbi in the cantor and not shom Shabas because they drive to Shoal. I don't know if you know this. Many conservative rabbis drive to Shoal and candors drive to show also. Uh So that's that's the situation at the conservative movement. David says, no one needs Draft because it doesn't taste good. I would think it's hard to find it. Where you gonna get giraffic? Gonn get it from Africa? Bri it you think the expense you'd have to buy a baby giraffe and grow it to give the benefit of the doubt does figuring? Okay, very good everyone, Thank you. I enjoyed it. Thank you for your comments and questions. Again, look forward to seeing you all next week. And Rabbi Kellman take it away.
Speaker 4: I believe Aristovsky also have to go look on usay. It has a talk on Draft that it gave live in Toronto on a Saturday the night probably ten years ago.
Speaker 2: Yes, because people are under a misconception that you can't you don't.
Speaker 4: Know where you can't get them. It's illegal. We're going to get a draft first, Well, have you ever seen a draft? If you come when we usually wear a tourist Africa with Robert slithkin a giraffe with one kick and kill a lion. The strength of a giraffe is unbelievable and they are so tall, and so you can't get a draft. And it's illegal, but it's kosher anywhere. You can slaughter it anywhere on the neck and it's got a big neck and it's fine. But Arizcotski has a whole thing. I'll try to It should be on our website.
Speaker 1: This series was originally reed in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your favorite podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give the podcast to listen