Speaker 1: Welcome back to the deep dive. Today. We're really getting into some source material you shared with us. It's excerpts from Advanced ASP dot net Core three security.
Speaker 2: That's right, and our mission really is to unpack this, pull out the key stuff you need to know about web app security, especially in that ASP dot net core three context.
Speaker 1: Yeah, think of it as a focused tour. We want to get you the crucial concepts, common attacks, practical defenses, all straight from this material exactly.
Speaker 2: We're aiming for those moments where it clicks, maybe some surprising bits along the way that really stick.
Speaker 1: We'll cover quite a bit starting with the basics what is security online? Then look at how attacks happen, common ones like SEQL injection.
Speaker 2: EXSS, and specifically how aspnt core three deals with them. Sometimes the default behavior is well interesting. We'll definitely cover authentication, authorization, testing, a whole life cycle.
Speaker 1: Really, the goal isn't just a list, right, it's the why why these things matter, so you can build systems that are genuinely solid.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's about context, not just checklists.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's kick things off right at the beginning. Security for websites applications. What are we actually trying to protect the source brings up the classic model, the CIA triad.
Speaker 2: Ah yes, CIA good old confidentiality, integrity and availability.
Speaker 3: Simple concepts, but.
Speaker 1: Fundamental confidentiality first, keeping things secret.
Speaker 2: Pretty much Yeah, making sure only the right people or systems can access sensitive data, you know, like customer info, private messages.
Speaker 1: That sort of thing. So stopping unauthorized peaking, got it? And integrity.
Speaker 2: Integrity is about trust, Trust that the data hasn't been messed with, that it's accurate, whether it's sitting in a database or flying across the network.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, like you wouldn't want someone changing order details mid process.
Speaker 2: Exactly or subtly altering content on a website without anyone noticing.
Speaker 3: You need to know what's.
Speaker 1: Reliable and the last one. Availability.
Speaker 2: Availability just means the systems up and running when legitimate users need it. Think DIDOS attacks trying to knock a site offline. That's an attack on availability.
Speaker 1: Though the source makes a fair point, doesn't it that? For web developers, our main focus often ends up being more on confidentiality and integrity. Availability sometimes falls more to like infrastructure teams.
Speaker 2: Often, Yeah, it's a reasonable distinction in practice. Now, who are we defending against the term hacker gets thrown around a lot, right. The book outlines a typical attack flow starts with reconnaissance, just.
Speaker 1: Gathering info, scoping things out, YEP.
Speaker 2: Finding vulnerabilities, understanding the technology, looking for weak points, all the homework before the.
Speaker 1: Actual attempt, and after recon.
Speaker 3: Then comes penetrate.
Speaker 2: That's the initial break in exploiting a weakness found during recon to get that first foothold.
Speaker 1: And they don't just stop there, presumably no.
Speaker 2: Way next is often hide evidence, covering their tracks, maybe setting up persistent so they can stay in longer without being detected.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, want to stick around and it's worth remembering.
Speaker 2: Like the book says, it's not always super technical exploits, phishing emails, maybe even a disgruntled employee.
Speaker 3: Those are common ways in two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the human element. Okay, some key terms the source clarifies. First, attack surface, what's the deal there?
Speaker 2: Your attack surface is basically while all the different points where an attacker could possibly try to interact with your system, think log in forms, APIs, file uploads, anywhere input.
Speaker 1: Is accepted, and the general idea is to make that smaller, right, less places to attack.
Speaker 2: Usually yes, minimize the surface, but there's this interesting nuance mentioned sometimes increasing the number of attack points, like maybe splitting a sensitive function into its own separate API.
Speaker 1: Wait, increasing it helps.
Speaker 2: How it sounds weird, I know, but think about the impact if that separate sensitive API gets breached. Maybe the damage is contained just to that sensitive data. If it was all part of one big application, the breach might expose everything, so larger surface potentially smaller blast radius.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a counterintuitive point. Interesting. Next term security by obscurity.
Speaker 2: Ah, this one the idea you can secure something just by hiding it well, like using a weird port number or a secret URL. And the verdict is for web apps, forget it. It's just not a reliable strategy. The web is designed to be found, and scanners are really good at finding things no matter how obscure you think you've made them. Hiding isn't securing.
Speaker 1: Right, Okay. A core theme that comes up again and again is this balance. Security isn't purely technical.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's a business decision fundamentally.
Speaker 1: Like that analogy in the source. Yeah, you don't spend one hundred bucks to protect a twenty dollars bill exactly.
Speaker 2: The effort has to match the value of what you're protecting. Protecting say PII personally identifiable information or PHI personal health information that demands way more security effort than I don't know, a simple brochure website.
Speaker 1: Higher stakes, more protection, right.
Speaker 2: Leads directly into that classic tension between security and user experience or UX.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the more secure often the more annoying for the user. Right, more steps, more.
Speaker 2: Friction, totally finding that sweet spot is key. You expect MFA and maybe some extra checks logging into your bank. You'd be pretty annoyed if a simple form made you jump through those same hoops. Context is everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, foundation's laid. Let's shift into some core tech stuff. But through that security lens. Cryptography first, symmetric encryption. What's the key takeaway?
Speaker 3: Symmetric means same key.
Speaker 2: One key locks the data, encrypts plaintext to ciphertext, the same key unlocks it decrypts back to plaintext.
Speaker 1: And the standard now is AES YEP.
Speaker 2: AES based on Rhindale. It's a block cipher. The source mentions things like ryandale create encryptor just to give the concept.
Speaker 1: And there's something called an initialization vector in OIV right.
Speaker 2: And IV is basically random data mixed in during encryption. Its main job is to make sure encrypting the same data with the same key D produces different results each time.
Speaker 1: Ah, so attackers can't spot patterns easily, and it's safe to store the IV with the encrypted data.
Speaker 2: Generally, yes, the security comes from the key, not the IV's secrecy.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's symmetric. Hashing is different, though totally different.
Speaker 3: Hashing is a one way street.
Speaker 2: You put data in, you get a fixed size string the hash out, but you can't realistically go backwards from the hash to the original.
Speaker 1: Data, and its main use is in security.
Speaker 2: Two big ones highlighted checking integrity, making sure data hasn't changed. You hash it, store the hash later, rehash it, compare if they match it's unchanged. Makes sense, And the other secure password storage.
Speaker 3: This is huge.
Speaker 2: Instead of storing passwords directly, which is a disaster waiting to happen if you get breached, you store a hash of the password.
Speaker 1: So when I log in, you hash what I type and compare it to the stored hash exactly.
Speaker 2: If the hash is match, you entered the right password, but the original password was never stored.
Speaker 1: Smart what about hash collisions cou'd bad.
Speaker 2: It can be a collision is when two different inputs happen to produce the exact same hash. If people can find collisions easily for an algorithm, it weakens it for things like digital signatures and it gets deprecated.
Speaker 3: Think MD five right.
Speaker 1: And for password hashing, salts are absolutely.
Speaker 3: Critical, oh completely vital.
Speaker 2: Assault is just unique random data that you add to the password before you hash it. Each user gets their own unique salt stored alongside their password hash.
Speaker 1: Why what does that randomness do?
Speaker 2: It kills Rainbow table attacks. Rainbow tables are these huge, pre calculated lists of hashes for common passwords. If you don't use salts, an attacker steals your database, looks up the hashes in their table, and boom, they have the passwords for common ones instantly, but with salts.
Speaker 1: If my password is password one T three with SALTA and yours is also password one two three, but with salty.
Speaker 2: The resulting hashes will be totally different. Hashing salted plus password one two three is different from hashing salt B plus password one two three. The attacker's pre computed table is useless. They need a separate table for every possible salt, which just isn't feasible. The source shows a table demonstrating this perfectly.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, salts defeat pre computation. What are the hashing algorithms themselves? SAHA one is a no go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, SAHA one is considered broken. SAGA two family like SAHA two, SAHA five, twelve are the current standards and dot net core for general hashing.
Speaker 3: But for passwords.
Speaker 1: Specifically, you want something different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you actually want algorithms designed to be slow and resource intensive. Things like PBKDF two be.
Speaker 1: Crypt script slow. Why slow makes.
Speaker 2: It much harder for attackers to brute force guest passwords If each hash calculation takes significant time, trying billions of combinations becomes incredibly expensive and slow for them. NIST actually recommends PBKDF two for password hashing.
Speaker 1: Okay. Quick mention of asymmetric encryption like RSA.
Speaker 2: Asymmetric uses two keys, a public one you can share and a private one you keep secret. Encrypt with public, decrypt with private, or sign with private, verify with public. It's used everywhere like in TLSSSL. The source does mention a future concern about quantum computers potentially breaking current algorithms like RSA, but that's more of a long term heads up.
Speaker 1: All right, let's pivot to the Web itself connections requests responses, but with that security had on HTTPS connections.
Speaker 2: So when your browser hits an HTTPS site, there's that SSLTLS handshake. First, it's a complex back and forth using asymmetric crypto like RSA to verify the server's identity via certificate and securely agree on a symmetric key.
Speaker 1: So asymmetric sets it up, but then they switch to faster symmetric encryption for the actual data.
Speaker 3: Precisely.
Speaker 2: The handshake uses random nonsense too to stop replay attacks, and your browser checks the certificate against trusted authorities.
Speaker 1: We also need to get the basics of a request in response header's body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, understanding what's in those is key. Request headers carry browser info cookie stuff like that. Response heaters tell the browser what to do. Set cookies give security instructions and status codes.
Speaker 1: Status codes four or four not found, five hundred, server error, four to one, unauthorized, four to three forbidden. They tell a story they really do.
Speaker 2: Four oh one means log in, four to three means you're logged in, but nope, not allowed. The source notes a small detail ASP met often uses a three zho two redirect after a post up when technically a three oh three sec other might be more correct according to the HDDC spec minor but details count now.
Speaker 1: Security headers these sound important. Server tells a browser to be more.
Speaker 2: Secure exactly and often underutilized hsts. Strict transport security is a big one. After the first visit, it tells the browser only connect via HTTPS from now on for a set period. Max age prevents a text that try to downgrade you to HTTP, but.
Speaker 1: It only works after that first successful HTTPS connection. Right, you still need the initial redirect from HTTP.
Speaker 2: Correct, You still need that HGTPS redirect handled properly first. Then there's CSP Content Security policy, hugely powerful against EXSS.
Speaker 1: How does CSP work.
Speaker 2: It's a header listing exactly where the browser is allowed to load resources from scripts, styles, images, fonts. You can say self only my own domain, lists specific other domains, or use nonzs.
Speaker 1: Nanzs like a one time code for scripts sort of.
Speaker 2: You put a unique random value to actionizez one two three in the CSB header and also as an attribute on your legitimate script tags. The browser only runs scripts that have a matching NONCE blocks injected scripts without the.
Speaker 1: Nons clever, But the source mentioned managing conflicts CSPs can be tricky.
Speaker 2: It can be, yeah, especially with lots of third party scripts or inline styles other key headers. X frame option stops clickjacking, preventing others from loading your site in an iframe. X content type option stops browsers from guessing file types mime sniffing, which can lead to security issues.
Speaker 1: Okay, last bit for this section. Storing data between requests. The web's stateless, so we use things.
Speaker 2: Like cookies, hidden fields, and forms each MEL five local storage and session storage.
Speaker 1: Cookies in hidden fields are client side visible, tamparable, risky for sensitive stuff. You can sign cookies for integrity though.
Speaker 2: Right, but here's a major warning from the source about ASP dot net core's default session storage.
Speaker 3: This is really important.
Speaker 1: Uh oh, what's the issue?
Speaker 2: By default, it's tied to the browser session, not necessarily the authenticated user session.
Speaker 1: What's the difference? Why is that bad?
Speaker 2: It means the session cookie might hang around on the browser even after the user logs out. If someone else sits down at that same computer and uses the same browser instance before the browser is fully closed, they might potentially pick up the previous user's session data because the cookie is still there and valid for the browser.
Speaker 1: WHOA seriously, so logging out doesn't reliably kill the session data access if the browser stays.
Speaker 2: Open in the default configuration. Potentially yes. The source is extremely clear on this. Do not store sensitive data in ASP dot net core session state period, use other mechanisms tied properly to user authentication state.
Speaker 1: Okay, that is a massive gotcha. Yeah, message received, loud and clear. Avoid session for sensitive stuff.
Speaker 2: It's a common pattern from older frameworks, but you need to be aware of this default behavior in ASP don.
Speaker 1: Netcre All right, let's shift gears to common attacks. The vulnerability buffet, as the source calls it. Knowing the enemy helps us defend. First, the classic injection attacks a wass A.
Speaker 2: One, and the king of injection is seql injection. This happens when user input gets improperly mixed into database queries, like.
Speaker 1: Building a sequel string by just sticking user input directly in select from users where name plus user name.
Speaker 2: From the input plus exactly if the attacker puts in something like or one one, the query becomes selectrom users whre name or one one, and suddenly the database returns all users because one one.
Speaker 3: Is always true.
Speaker 2: The source mentions variations union based to grab data from other tables, air based, where you use database error messages to figure out the table structure. There's even a screenshot example of an error revealing info, and blind techniques where you infer data slowly bit by bit.
Speaker 1: The frorst case is something like xbcmdshell running commands on the server itself.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, if the database account has way too many permissions, SQL injection can lead to complete server compromise, So the defense parameterized queries always. Instead of mashing strings together, you use placeholders in your sequel like at username, and provide the user input separately as a parameter. The database driver handles it safely, treating it purely as data, not executable.
Speaker 1: Code and Entity Framework uses these by default.
Speaker 2: Mostly yes, for standard link queries and things like save changes. EF uses parameterized queries, which is great, but there's a buttter. The source points out what it calls a boneheaded bug, or at least a risky default feature. Asp net core apps built with EF migrations might by default prompt you in production to apply database schema updates. If the code model changes.
Speaker 1: Wait, let the web application change the data base schema in production.
Speaker 2: Exactly the database user account for a running web app. Should app not have permissions to al your tables or schemas. That needs strict control through separate deployment processes. It's a dangerous default.
Speaker 1: Yikes. Okay noted Moving on cross site scripting xssas a seven different target here right, not the.
Speaker 2: Database, right, EXSS targets the user's browser. The goal is to inject malicious JavaScript code that runs in the context of your website but in another user's browser session.
Speaker 1: How by getting script tags into places where user content is displayed, like comment sections.
Speaker 2: That's the classic way, inject script telored EXSS script into a comment and anyone viewing that comment runs the script. Attackers get clever though, using case variations like script to t encoding the script to bypass simple filters.
Speaker 1: The source showed an I frame example within coded script and injecting into HTML attributes like on mouseover.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on mousover dot.
Speaker 2: Malicious code is a common one or hijacking existing JavaScript on the page that might process user input insecurely. Some older vectors are blocked by modern browsers.
Speaker 1: Now thankfully, what Was that about value shadowing in older ASP dot Net?
Speaker 2: Ah? Yeah, in older versions, if you had say doc evil in the URL and also a form field named Q, the framework might prioritize the URL value made it easier for attackers to inject scripts via the URL reflected EXSS.
Speaker 1: Okay, so defense against XSS. How do we display user content safely?
Speaker 3: In code?
Speaker 2: And code and code? Before you render any user supplied content as HTML, you must encode special characters becomes an ltcode becomes NGDA, quotes become a ket quote, et cetera.
Speaker 1: So the browser just shows the characters, it doesn't interpret them as code exactly.
Speaker 2: The source contrasts at HTML raw, which is dangerous because it skips encoding with safe methods like system, dot net, dot web, Utility, dot HTML encode using CSP headers with nonsas as we discussed, is another.
Speaker 1: Strong layer right layers of defense. CSP helps limit what scripts can run. Encoding stops injection into the HTML structure.
Speaker 2: And a brief mention of malvertizing malicious ads delivering scripts. That's a related risk from third parties.
Speaker 1: Okay, next attack, cross site request forgery CSRF. This one sounds sneaky.
Speaker 2: It is CSRF forces a logged in user to unknowingly submit a malicious request to a website they're authenticated with.
Speaker 1: How does that work?
Speaker 2: Imagine you're logged into your bank and attacker crafts a link or a hidden form on say an evil website. Maybe it's coded to transfer money. If you click that link or even just load the page with the hidden form, your browser helpfully includes your bank authentication cookies with the request, So.
Speaker 1: The bank thinks you willingly said the transfer request, yeah, because the cookies are valid.
Speaker 2: Exactly, the attacker leverages your authenticated session. The source shows examples using simple image tags or auto submitting forms.
Speaker 1: Nasty. How do we stop that?
Speaker 2: The standard defense is anti CSRF tokens. Asp dot core has built in support with the validate anti forgery token attribute, and they at html dot Anti forgery Token Helper.
Speaker 1: How do those tokens work?
Speaker 2: When the server renders a form, it generates a unique, unpredictable token. It put it's this token in a hidden field in the form and usually in a cookie. When the form is submitted back, the server checks that the token from the form matches the token from the cookie, and.
Speaker 1: An attacker on another site can't read the cookie from my bank site, so they can't forge their request with the right token.
Speaker 2: Precisely the same origin policy prevents them reading the cookie.
Speaker 1: However, another however, what's the catch with the default ASP dot net implementation?
Speaker 2: The source points out a potential weakness. While the default tokens stop trivial CSRF, they are often reusable for the same user session and can remain valid.
Speaker 1: For a while reusable, so if an attacker somehow steals a valid token.
Speaker 2: The source describes the scenario where a token captured from a user's legitimate request could potentially be replayed later in a malicious request from that same user's browser context, maybe via XSS, or if the user revisits a malicious site while still logged in. The default token isn't strictly single use or tied tightly enough to expire immediately when it perhaps should.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so better than nothing, but not perfect out of the box.
Speaker 3: Needs tightening, seems so.
Speaker 2: The fix involves custom code using IANTI forgery, additional data provider or cookie authentication events to make tokens more strictly session bound or truly single use. Katcchase can also help against automated CSRF attemps.
Speaker 1: Okay, another vulnerability mass assignment.
Speaker 2: This happens when your application blindly accepts and binds all data submitted in a request to your back end model object, even properties the user shouldn't be allowed to change through that specific form or API.
Speaker 1: Call the blog post example from the source right A form lets users edit title and content, but the underlying blog post object also has like an is published flag or a created date.
Speaker 2: Exactly if your update action just takes all submitted data from form fields, query, string, et cetera and applies it to the blog post object loaded from the database.
Speaker 1: An attacker could add any published true to the URL or slip in input type hidden name is published value true into the form they.
Speaker 2: Submit yep, And because of default model binding behaviors including that value shadowing issue again, the framework might just obediently update the es published property even though the UI form never showed that field.
Speaker 1: So they bypass authorization checks by manipulating the data binding. How do you fix that?
Speaker 2: Use specific view models or data transfer objects DTOs for each form or API endpoint. These models should only include the properties that are legitimately allowed to be updated in that context. Don't bind directly to your full database entities for updates coming from the user, be explicit.
Speaker 1: Got it only allowed binding for fields you actually intend to change on that screen exactly.
Speaker 2: The source also briefly mentions other things like insecure direct object references ide yours like changing order EQUIDLA one two three in the URL to order lvdno one two four to see someone else's order OS command injection, directory traversal, super careful with filepaths, business logic abuse, using the app in weird ways, session hijacking, response splitting, parameter pollution, lots to be aware of a minefield.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk about access control itself authentication first. Proving who you are O SPA two. Passwords are the old way, but.
Speaker 2: Problematic, hugely problematic. People choose weak ones reuse them everywhere, which leads to credential stuffing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where attackers take lists of leak usernames and passwords from one breach and just.
Speaker 2: Try them automatically on tons of other sites. And it works depressingly often because of password reuse.
Speaker 1: So we need better than just passwords. Multi factor authentication MFA.
Speaker 2: Using something you know password plus something you have phone for a code authenticator app hard work key or something you are fingerprint face. It makes credential stuffing much much harder. Other defenses include checking logins against breach lists like have I Been Pound or detecting logins from weird locations.
Speaker 1: Now the source dives into asp dot it's default authentication. It criticizes using email as the username.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because failed login attempts can inadvertently confirm whether an email address is registered or not, which is information linkage. And it highlights a subtle timing attack vulnerability.
Speaker 1: Timing attack on a login page.
Speaker 2: It's clever and sneaky. An attacker sends lots of logan attempts with a known bad password, but tries different usernames. The code path inside the application might take fractionally longer milliseconds to process a request for a valid username because it finds the user than checks the password compared to an invalid username, where it fails.
Speaker 1: Faster, and attackers can measure that tiny time difference.
Speaker 3: With automated tools.
Speaker 2: Yes, they can use that timing difference to figure out which usernames are registered on the system, even without guessing any passwords.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's subtle, it is.
Speaker 2: The fix is to make the code paths for valid and invalid user names take as close to the identical amount of time as possible constant time comparison logic.
Speaker 1: And there's another warning about asp nets default authentication cookie session token similar to the CSRF token thing.
Speaker 2: Yes, another default behavior. To be very aware of the source demonstration, it's using tools like burpsuite how the standard authentication cookie might be reusable even after the user explicitly logs out or after the server side session should have logically expired based on inactivity.
Speaker 1: Seriously, so logging out doesn't necessarily invalidate the off cookie immediately or reliably. By default, stealing one could give longer access than expected.
Speaker 2: Potentially, Yes, the default linkage between the off cookie's validity and the service side session state isn't as tight as you might assume. It makes cookie theft potentially more impactful.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's the fix there? Custom code again?
Speaker 3: Pretty much?
Speaker 2: It again involves hooking into cookie authentication events to add server side validation, checking a database flag, for instance, to ensure the session associated with that cookie is still considered valid by the server on every request, not just relying on the cookie's own expiration.
Speaker 1: Time makes sense. You need service side control over session validity for MFA and ASP dot net. What options does the source mention.
Speaker 2: The usual suspects? SMS codes easy but vulnerable to swapping. Authenticator apps like Google or Microsoft Authenticator better based on TOTP and hardware key is like Ubikey's generally considered strongest uses. Protocols like Phytoto, Web.
Speaker 1: Authen and the simple baseline require authentication globally.
Speaker 2: Yeah, using things like authorized folder or global filters is a good safety net to prevent accidentally leaving pages unprotected.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's authentication. What about authorization AISPA five What you can do once you're logged in?
Speaker 2: First, let's repeat the mantra because it applies here too. Avoids storing sensitive data or authorization decisions purely in session state due to that cookie persistence issue.
Speaker 1: Right, So basic authorization roles.
Speaker 2: Role based authorization is the simplest. Define roles like admin manager user and use attributes like authorized roles admin manager to restrict access to controllers or actions. Easy to understand, easy to implement for broad categories.
Speaker 1: But sometimes you need finder control.
Speaker 2: That's where claims based authorization comes in. A claim is a specific piece of information about the user like department sales or can approve expenses true. You can then create policies based on these claims like authorized policy must be in sales department much more granular.
Speaker 1: And then there's context specific authorization making sure users only see their.
Speaker 2: Own stuff crucial in multi user systems. The source shows some neat patterns for handling this, especially with entity framework ideas like using custom attributes, say user filterable on your database entities, and how would that work? You'd combine it with maybe a base repository or helper methods like single en user context ITEMID. Behind the scenes, it automatically adds a ware x user x user current user a clause to the database query based on the logged in user. You define a user filter expression once and it gets applied consistently.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it builds the user filtering right into the data access layer automatically. That sounds way less error prone than remembering to add were clauses everywhere.
Speaker 2: It can be a really powerful pattern for venting users from accessing data they shouldn't implicitly handling many ID or scenarios.
Speaker 1: If done right, cool, okay, logging air handling OSBA ten Why is logging so critical for security, specifically.
Speaker 3: Because detection is key.
Speaker 2: Most standard application logging tracks functional errors or performance. Security logging is about spotting signs of an attack. Hackers often count on systems not logging the suspicious stuff they do, and.
Speaker 1: The default ASP dot net core log levels aren't really cut out.
Speaker 2: For this, not really info warning error critical, they're about application health. The source suggests creating custom security log levels like what things like security alert, security, audit, security success. This lets you specifically tag events like failed login bursts, access attempts on sensitive resources, successful logins from new locations, potential policy violations, things and security monitoring system should actually care about.
Speaker 1: So you filter logs on these custom levels to build an audit trail or trigger alerts for security teams.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it separates the security signal from the application noise. Honeypots are a great example of using this.
Speaker 1: Honeypots like fake targets.
Speaker 2: YEP setting up decoy resources that look tempting to attackers but have no legitimate use, maybe a fake admin login page of wpadmin on your non WordPress site or a fake sensitive API endpoint.
Speaker 1: And any traffic hitting those is automatically suspicious.
Speaker 2: Highly suspicious. You log any access attempt to a honeypot with a high priority security level like security critical. It's a great way to detect scanners and bots early. You could even use that logging to trigger automated blocking, maybe using an attribute concept like block flocked out that the source mentions.
Speaker 1: Cliver and on error handling, the key message is.
Speaker 2: Don't swallow errors silently. Users need feedback, but also don't show detailed stack traces or internal system information in production error messages. Provide a user friendly error page. Log the detailed server side for debugging, but don't leak info to potential attackers.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, okay. Final stretch in this section setup and can figure curation, basic server.
Speaker 3: Hardening, foundational stuff.
Speaker 2: Don't let users upload files directly into folders served by the web server. Sanitize user provided filenames, turn off directory browsing. Don't use default install paths for servers if possible. Disabled services. You don't need cy sugmind one oh one, but.
Speaker 1: Crucial network security firewalls.
Speaker 2: Absolutely segment your network web server, database server, mail server. They should be separate, ideally with firewalls between them, allowing only the specific ports needed. The database server should definitely not be directly reachable from the public.
Speaker 1: Internet secrets management. This sounds critical.
Speaker 3: It is paramount.
Speaker 2: Do not store database connection strings, API keys, encryption keys, passwords, and config files like app settings dot json, especially if checked into source.
Speaker 1: Control, even if they're encryptive and the canfig file.
Speaker 2: Even then, because now you have the problem of managing the decryption key securely. Where do you put that? It just moves the problem. Better options are dedicated secrets management tools like Hashi Court Vault environment variables and injected securely by the hosted platform or perhaps a separate, tightly secured configuration database.
Speaker 3: Keep secrets out of your code repository, got.
Speaker 1: It HTTPS everywhere we've covered adding security headers in ASP dot net core.
Speaker 2: Usually done in startup dot cs using middleware adding headers like x frame options, x content type options, hsts, CSP globally for page specific things like maybe very strict caching directives, cash control dot no store no cash on a page displaying sensitive data. You can often use attributes on the controller action.
Speaker 1: Third party components libraries, new get packages.
Speaker 2: Big source of risk. If a library you depend on has a vulnerability, your application is vulnerable. So vet your dependencies. Use reputable sources, keep them updated and understand the risks. The source warns, though, that updates don't catch everything, and many vulnerabilities aren't public knowledge.
Speaker 1: Tools like o WASP dependency check help find known issues in libraries.
Speaker 2: Yes, Component Analysis SAA very useful for catching known cvees in your dependencies.
Speaker 1: What about integrity hashes sub resource integrity.
Speaker 2: That's a browser feature for a third party javascripts CSS loaded from CDNs. In your script or link tag, you include a cryptographic hash integrity of the file you expect. The browser downloads the file, hashes it, and only run supplies it if the hash matches yours. Protects against the CDN being compromised or the file being modified and transit.
Speaker 1: Neat and finally, test environments need security.
Speaker 3: Too, absolutely key rules.
Speaker 2: Never use real production data and test of environments ever. Keep test systems behind firewalls, not exposed publicly. Don't rely on it's just a test server. Nobody will find it. Obscurity isn't security here either, lock them down.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's a ton of ground on a tax defenses and config Let's talk about the ongoing process, a security life cycle, testing learning. It's not a one time thing.
Speaker 3: Definitely not. You have to keep testing.
Speaker 2: The source talks about different tool types. First, DAST dynamic application security testing.
Speaker 1: These test the running application from the outside like a black box hacker tools like burpsuite oas, dayzap exactly.
Speaker 2: They send malicious looking requests probe for common vulnerabilities on the live site or API. Good for finding run time issues. The downside, they could be noisy, lots of false positives and they don't see the underlying code. Using multiple DAFs tools can help.
Speaker 1: Then there's SaaS Static Application security Testing.
Speaker 2: SAAST analyzes the source code directly without running it white box testing. For dot net there are tools like the Prima Security Scanner built in Rosalin analyzers and commercial options.
Speaker 3: They can find.
Speaker 2: Flaws in the code logic that DAST might miss, but they also have their own types of noise and limitations.
Speaker 1: And SEA Source component analysis we mentioned checks library dependencies for known vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Right like OAST dependency check. Crucial Reminder finds known issues only, not zero days, not flaws unique to.
Speaker 3: How you use the library.
Speaker 1: I is also mentioned.
Speaker 2: Interactive Application security testing sort of a hybrid. IT instruments the running application to combine dynamic testing with runtime code analysis still evolving, less common maybe, but promising.
Speaker 1: So lots of tools. What's the big caveat.
Speaker 3: The source is very clear and realistic here.
Speaker 2: None of these automated tools find everything they're good at, finding the low hanging fruit, the common, easy to spot vulnerabilities. Relying only on scanners will lead to breaches. Their helpers supplements not a silver bullet.
Speaker 1: Gotcha tools help but don't replace human review and secure design. Callie Linux gets a mention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Linux distro packed with security tools. The source suggests pragmatically that maybe it's easier just to install the specific tools you actually need, like ZAP or BURP, on your regular development machine, rather than switching to a whole new OS you might not be familiar with.
Speaker 1: Makes sense integrating these tools into CICD.
Speaker 3: That's the goal for many teams.
Speaker 2: Run safety and SEA automatically on every build or pull request, maybe fail the build if high severity vulnerabilities are found. Helps catch things early. The challenge is managing the findings, tuning the tools to reduce false positives.
Speaker 4: Code reviews, specifically for security highly recommended separate from functional reviews, have developers specifically look at code changes just through a security lens, helps build awareness and spot issues tools might miss.
Speaker 1: And finally, penetration testing hiring the pros.
Speaker 2: Yep, ethical hackers, but the source warns strongly against just hiring someone cheap who runs the same automated scanners you could run yourself.
Speaker 1: What should a good pen test involve?
Speaker 2: A proper test follows the attacker methodology, reconnaissance, scanning, and enumeration, actually trying to gain access, attempting to maintain access, persistence, and maybe covering tracks. They should demonstrate the impact of the vulnerabilities found.
Speaker 1: Seeing what a skilled human attacker can actually achieve with your system.
Speaker 2: That sounds valuable, incredibly valuable for understanding your real world risk. For learning more, The source points to resources like the Web Application Hackers Handbook, a classic deep dive, the Daily Swig for News, Troy Hunt's blog for great practical insights, SERTs like CECHCISSP grapped or mentioned too.
Speaker 1: And maybe the best way to learn is just doing it. Setting up vulnerable apps and trying to break.
Speaker 2: Them absolutely hands on practice, experimentation, staying curious. That's huge insecurity.
Speaker 1: So wow, we've really journeyed through this material kicked off with security fundamentals CIA triad attacker steps dived into crypto web basics like htpps and headers, but always with that security angle.
Speaker 2: Then hit the big vulnerabilities SQL injection, xss, CSRF, mass assignment, looking specifically at ASP dot net Core three defenses and importantly those default behaviors you need to watch out for right.
Speaker 1: Like the session state and authentication cookie issues, covered secure setup config secrets management, third party.
Speaker 2: Risks, and wrapped up with the testing life cycle dast sessed SCA, the limits of tools, importance of code review, pen testing and continuous learning.
Speaker 1: The big takeaway seems to be security is not a feature you bolt on at the end. It's an ongoing process, layers of defense, constant vigilance exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about balancing the tech the business needs, the user experience. It never really stops.
Speaker 1: Well, this deep dive was possible thanks to the source material you sent our way, and hopefully we've pulled out the most critical insights to get you thinking and applying these concepts absolutely.
Speaker 2: And remember, while we focused a lot on the technology, the code, the configurations, secure systems also rely heavily on the people involved.
Speaker 1: That's a great point to end on it It raises a big question for all of us, doesn't it. We have all these technical controls, these best practices, but how do we better bridge that gap to the human element. How do we foster that culture of security awareness not just among developers but everyone involved to make things truly safer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something definitely worth mulling over. How do technology and people really work together for better security