Speaker 1: Keep questions what is the observer?
Speaker 2: What is the observer?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing. I mean, one of the old jokes is you know who's the observer? Is it your father? Was his father the observer? Is it passed down to it? It's a weird way in which you're talking technically, technically, technically, and then you say this thing, and it's like then the observer makes an observation and a measurement. Thinking how did a human get.
Speaker 2: Into that story.
Speaker 3: I am very excited because you know, we were talking. We've been good friends for a long time, and this guy who has this YouTube channel, uh said, Eric Weinstein is groundbreaking with his theory of everything. And I know you've been working on this quietly, we've talked about it, but this is kind of your first the first time you've been public publicly acknowledged. And before we get into anything, I will say that you're the physics community. I don't know about the math community, but the physics community is high school politics. I mean the amount of sort of like well, I mean, his theories you know, got holes in it. I mean I wouldn't really take it seriously. There's there's just so much back and forth and there's so much disagreement.
Speaker 2: There is there isn't no no, okay, no.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's in fact very interesting that very often what you get is you get a small number of views that get amplified, right, And so you know, it's a little bit the same thing with like what journalists do, is that a journalist will frame a story and then you'll watch the entire world see that thing through that frame, right. Or you know, if I if I were to tell you, I don't know, like a tell in somebody's speech, and I said, you know, every time he says uh twice, he's thinking about that guy he killed in the parking lot, and then suddenly the guy says uh uh and everybody has you know, he's doing it again. People are really bored and they're not actually dialed in and plugged in. So one of the things that I find fascinating is that the physics community has to figure out why it's not listening to anything other than in deepest research, quantum gravity research, and in particular one theory of quantum gravity above all, which has had forty years to ship a product and cannot and that's something called m theory or string theory, and The big sin in physics is that you've got a theory that has no rightful claim on being the only game in town, protected by this massive, sort of inexplicable support from I don't know, traditional media and from universities that write these press releases that any one of us would be embarrassed if our research, you know, were described that way. So you find somebody just done research and string theory and you bring up the press release that's lot you know, lauding it, and that person says, hey, it's the university. I can't stop them. They have to hype it. So there's a very weird situation in which that I don't even think we're having a physics conversation. I think that physics at its deepest level is almost dead.
Speaker 3: Really yeah, but so so string theory has nothing to.
Speaker 1: Show for itself. I wouldn't say that at all.
Speaker 3: Okay, but but you're saying that they were they were the ball hogs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I would say that.
Speaker 3: And anybody who had an alternative theory was kind of like side eyed and pushed out of the game.
Speaker 1: Let's imagine that you had one team in the NBA, Okay, that was different and it was called the referees, and the referees dressed in vertical black and white stripes and carried whistles around their necks, and they were the only people allowed to adjudicate their own games. Yeah, that's sort of the situation with string theories is that the appearance of a new team, a new kind of doing physics called the referees, and if you play them, you have to deal with their refereeing of your game against.
Speaker 2: Them, because they will attack you.
Speaker 1: What they they got control of sort of refereeing who's up and who's down.
Speaker 2: But how do they do that?
Speaker 3: So, so Mitya Kaku or any of these string theorists, they get the bulk of the grants. What is it that they're doing to keep other theories at well?
Speaker 1: First of all, my feeling about this is one of the things that they're doing is happening right here, right now.
Speaker 3: So I'm not a big supplement guy, but I've been drinking Vinia coffee and Vinia tea.
Speaker 2: What is that?
Speaker 3: Basically, vinya is a compound made from red grapes. Sounds crazy, right, but check this out. It is clinically proven to improve blood flow. Basically, vinya is basically a circulation superfood backed by real science. All Right, You've got sixty thousand miles of blood vessels in your body. That's enough to wrap around the moon. Okay, and your circulation system is like a highway system, and right now, a lot of people are stuck in traffic.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So Vinya contains a powerful polyphenol found in red grapes that boosts your nitric oxide levels, and nitric oxide is what helps your blood vessels dilate.
Speaker 2: And vinya. Check this out.
Speaker 3: Vinya is clinically proven to increase that dilation by up to seventy percent. All right, and you you can check with anybody you want. That is a good thing. So the folks at Vinea are offering a ninety day risk ye trial. If you don't feel the difference in physical energy and mental sharpness, they will refund every penny and even cover the return postage.
Speaker 2: Here's the best news.
Speaker 3: Visit vinia dot com backslash calen to get vinias special buy two get one month free offer now for about a dollar a day, YouTube can experience vineas proven results plus get ten percent off any Vinea purchase when you click the link in the description. So go to Vinya v i Nia dot com slash callen. I've been taking it. I've been drinking the tea, I've been drinking the coffee, and I love it. And you know, all I got to hear is clinically proven and I'm in especially if it increases your nitric oxide levels. Either way, with all those blood vessels, I want dilation. And once again, Vinna is clinically improved to increase I valance back to seventy percent. So check it out, hit me in the comments section, let me know what you think. I'm curious. I want to know. So far, I'm loving it. So there it is Vinia dot com slash talent. And now back to the podcast.
Speaker 1: We're not having a discussion about physics. We're having a discussion about sociology. We're having a discussion with them at the center. So your first point is that this guy, Kurt John Mungle released a three hour I don't know what you call it, there's no precedent for it, documentary on my theory. And immediately we're talking about, well, what does the community say about it? The community is back and forth. No, it really isn't more or less the community has ignored it for forty years, and we're talking about it from the point of view, why is that? And it's a human thing. So instead of talking about the cool stuff that we should be talking about, which is what does the theory say that that's insane and why do you think it's true? And what do you think the support for it is, we're having a discussion about the sociology of peer review and refereeing and how fields get captured by dominant groups who can't produce. And so I'm just saying that whatever it is that they do, they've made everything about them. So I'm happy to come back to that because I think it's super interesting. But if you don't mind, did you see this video? What do you what do you make of it?
Speaker 3: I wanted to let you I don't make anything of it because I don't know enough. I guess what I would ask, is this about that video? What was it that he saw in that video that caused him to make that video? What was it about? Because I know you had met him, but what was the Because you've explained your theory of everything to me in Layman's terms over dinner a couple of times, but never without alcohol never without alcoholics, good red and white wines, and might I had some excellent food, whether it's be a Ventato or scopa. But can you can you tell me? Did he tell you what that Eureka moment was for him? Where he went this is I haven't heard this before.
Speaker 1: Oh this was crazy. He rings me up or sends me what's that message something, and he says, hey, if you have a little bit of time, there's something I really want to show you. So we get on a zoom call and he takes control of my screen and then he starts showing me his understanding of my theory. And it's been very strange because for forty years, more or less I've been inside my own head, and I have the opportunity to sort of break out little bits of the theory, but more or less nobody has an attention span. Imagine you're trying to tell somebody about the ring cycle, right, and they're.
Speaker 2: Pretty good at it. You do teach me some things, nobody. Just so you guys know, Eric will come to dinner and I'll have like somebody who's excited to meet him, and then he'll just come to dinner.
Speaker 3: And if he walks through that door with his head hung low. We're gonna have to there's gonna be a there's gonna be about a half hour where we've got to talk to Eric about what kind of problem he's dealing with in his head.
Speaker 2: And it's usually something.
Speaker 3: Like monumental, like the end of the world is coming and he's got to figure out a way to help.
Speaker 2: Us out of the Usually I just can't find parking, so just keep going.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I just had to breaface that because this is the first time I've seen you not that way. This is really a big deal, because you know, you and me and Joe Rogan around a thread and you were like, you know, hey, this is kind of for the first time, I was really happy.
Speaker 1: This is the thing, like, what the hell's what the hell's wrong with everybody? It's funny. Imagine working on one thing for four decades and not being able to get people to sort of grasp what it is that you're proposing. It's you know, I don't think there's a parallel in most lives, and I believe it's totally consequential. I think when Elon Musk talks about going to Mars, he doesn't really want to go to Mars. Nobody's smart wants to go to the Moon or Mars as a humanity diversifying thing. I think he thinks that that's motivating to engineers. What he really wants to do is to go interstellar. And that's why he says ad Astra. And it's confusing because no chemical rocket company is going to get humans interstellar.
Speaker 2: What is the difference?
Speaker 1: So if the nearest star is four light years away and you go the fastest humans have ever gone, I think it takes you one hundred thousand years to get there, and recorded history is pretty brief, so you know, no chance you're going to do it on a generationship. And then you find out there's no there's no nothing to do with the first star. Yeah, everything is very far away, and you know, my take on this is that this is hugely consequential. We don't recognize that everything is decided ultimately by the final layer, which is some version of math or physics. So my feeling, and this is the reason that there's a heaviness about me. It's not that I enjoy talking about depressing stuff. As you know, we like talking about wine and music and dance and art, and all sorts of things. If we don't get out of here and diversify onto many planets, I don't see long term survival of our species. And that means everything you love about this place, from Mangoes to Mozart, is under the control of a tiny number of human beings who should not have nuclear and biological weapons. So I was just over the moon that somebody, finally, you know, put in this kind of work. It's not like I agree with everything that he said, but it's clear that he understands a great deal of what it is that I'm saying more than anyone else's.
Speaker 3: That's amazing. And he's a physicist or is he he's a layman physicist.
Speaker 1: I think he's clearly got some technical background. Yeah, what's his name, Kurt Jaimungle And in his channel is yeah, theories of everything. And the genesis of this is that he and I wound up at this conference called ARC that Jordan Peterson I think asked me to come to and I wasn't speaking, so I was spending time just talking to people, and Kurt was there and we were sitting in the lobby and he says, what's going on? Man, I never really understood your theory, And I said, well, you know, in part we've stopped asking the really big questions in physics. Everything has become a question about do you have a renormalizable theory of gravity, which is not the main issue in physics at all. And I said, you know, the old questions are why are there three generations of particles? Why is there three copies of matter? You know, like think about it as plastic, wood and metal. Every particle comes in three varieties of lego if you will. Why is nature left right asymmetric because the weak force you knows it's left from its right, when the other forces don't. Why are there sixteen particles in a generation? Why do they have the properties they do? These are the old problems that before nineteen eighty four everybody viewed as the problems in physics, And then, mysteriously in the mid nineteen eighties on one individual completely reoriented the field and ed written, yeah, and everybody who came up afterwards it's sort of unaware that, like physics changed care it's just a discreete you remember when like in Bewitched, Darren gets replaced by become like Dick York, and Dick's sergeant. There are two different actors who were playing and there's no comment that something changed this, right I remember that, yes, right, it's very disturbing. Yes, yes, to see here.
Speaker 2: I think I think the original guy got sick.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but just to not comment on it. So the whole field changed character and became incapable.
Speaker 2: And what a great analogy.
Speaker 1: And so what I I don't know where that came from.
Speaker 2: But string theory never spoke to you? Did? Did? Did? Did?
Speaker 3: Did you ever learn about string theory? Do you want to do you have a rudimentary or a pretty intermediate understanding of strength theory or when.
Speaker 1: It came out? It's a funny, funny, bizarre story, which is that I changed my major in college from physics to math to avoid this thing, and I did not know. So the problem is is that I clearly do this change in my major between my freshmen and I think in my sophomore year, but it's as a response to something that hadn't happened yet. So I have a time inconsistency problem in my wordin story because the great breakthrough and string theory happens in nineteen eighty four, called the Green Schwartz anomaly, cancelation, and ed Witten gets very involved in this. Immediately afterwards, it gives a talk at Pen, and that talk convinces me that the physics community is about to collapse, like leaving Afghanistan to the Afghan Army and the Taliban is just instantly overruns.
Speaker 3: Everything, and in the sense that this is the new blood and everything you've learned up till there is a lie or not true.
Speaker 1: Just he gave one lecture at Penn that was so completely bewildering and brilliant and so confident, where he just told us everything that you've ever worried about here it is in string theory. It's in this line, it's in this term, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 3: You once took a piece of paper at dinner and wrote an equation down, and that was ed Witten's explanation.
Speaker 2: Of the universe.
Speaker 1: That may have been the string action. But the problem was that this happens later than I changed my major. And so one day I'm reading a book by a guy named Peter White called not Even Wrong. I'm on the toilet, and I've never really told the story about changing my major in response to ed Witten, because it's time inconsistent sort of reveals that I'm not telling the truth. And I see in the book it says Witten's first lecture in string theory actually was before the Green Schwartz cancelation and was delivered at a Grand Unification workshop. I said, Oh, my God, tell me that this didn't happen in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, at the University of Pennsylvania, at a conference I was organized by Paul Steinhardt. And I thought, oh my god. I accidentally, as a seventeen year old kid, was in the audience of Ed Winton's first string theory lecture before the flood, just totally by accident, and I see this thing. I was able to follow the fact that he paralyzed the entire auditorium one individual made everyone, all physicists probably everyone was terrified of this human being. Nobody had seen something give a lecture like this. This was not human jeezuz right. And so you've got the six foot four.
Speaker 2: Awkwards, well, right, just a brilliant guy, but he talks.
Speaker 1: About I appreciate your attempts to understand the theory of the universe, but I find you're intell like he's hunting.
Speaker 2: He's the kind of guy who laughs behind his fingers. He's like and he grow man.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, look, I don't want to make fun of the affectations because he's but he's been very aggressive. And the thing that he's really aggressive about that I can't stand and won't stand for is that he says that there are no other theories. He says that, oh absolutely wow, Like you can check out a podcast called the Universe Speaks in.
Speaker 2: He is Einstein. That's my little joke to the layment, because Einstein was very cocky. But keep going. What sound was? He was kind of arrogant. I said, if flight doesn't bend, God's wrong, something like that.
Speaker 1: I remember, Sorry, I don't have alcohol.
Speaker 2: I can't believe you're not writing the stuff I'm saying down. Yeah, yeah, I dig.
Speaker 1: A So yeah. Witten was on this podcast called the Universe Speaks in Numbers, and he's asked, well, were you ever tempted to buy other approaches? He says, I don't even know what you mean by other approaches. So the host is sort of flummixed and throws some things out. He says, those aren't other approaches, those are only words. There's just string theory. Everything else is just words, just like thinking, maybe you got sick the first day they taughtmedi remedial scientific ethics. You can't do that. As a leader of a field, you're not allowed to declare victory like.
Speaker 2: That, especially when there's nothing to show for it.
Speaker 1: Well, right, again, there's mathematics to show for it. But again here we are talking about strings, and it'll keep happening, right, And whether it's you or me, it doesn't matter. It was woven into the story. So another in order to get back to actual physics, we have to unweave the story of Edwin.
Speaker 3: And this is what Paul was saying about your theory of everything, Mungle.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, yeah, well, I think what he said at the end was well, I mean, he said something that would be embarrassing for me to say, but I could play it for you to give you an idea of what is assessment. Let me just say that this is more or less Kurt's assessment after having put in two hundred and fifty hours into a three hour documentary.
Speaker 3: And by the way, just so you guys know, we're going to break down in Layman's terms, Eric Weinstein's theory of everything. But we're just this is just the appetizers. Okay, just the appetizers before the main course. Roll tape. Let's watch this.
Speaker 4: Thank you to Eric Weinstein. It's an avant garde and creative theory. Kurt here several months later. This has been so long in the making. G you have no idea anyhow. I wanted to say that. I mean what I just said. I may have said this before in the Iceberg, and if I haven't, I should have, because it bears repeating. I haven't seen a theory like this come from any single individual ever, not one that's this fleshed out or has this amount of unexampled connections within itself, as well as to what's known as the theoretical physics backbone that we talked about earlier. And by the way, this is what I do for a living. I interview people on what theory they have of reality, whether it's of consciousness or it's physics based or logic based or what have you. So again, thank you to Eric, and thank you to you for watching this.
Speaker 1: I hope you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Wow. And he's talked to a lot of physicists.
Speaker 1: In particular a lot of strength theories too. Yeah, and so you know, in part, I'm just in this very funny position where I now decide that I'm an entertainer, because here's a joe. What's the difference between a physic assistant an entertainer. An entertainer has legal rights?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: You you, I know, and I know you, and I love you and I one of the things we always talk about is you do live. It's a lonely existence because you live in your own head and you're dealing with ideas and things that very few people can really appreciate or understand, including the creativity as a comic. You know, I'm about to release my next special, thank you and and but but at least I'm always getting affirmation. I'm out there. They're laughing, I'm building it, They're laughing. You know, I do the special. I get I know how it's going to be received, at least a little bit, because I'm I'm getting that kind of appreciation, sure after four decades of working in relative solitude.
Speaker 1: And abuse and abuse.
Speaker 3: And it's such an act of faith too, because when when you have a world where there's only when somebody like Ed Witten et cetera at all are saying that this is the only theory. Everything else is a lie. The act of faith it must take to continue on is because what if nobody ever sees it? That's why you get this guy like Kurt John Muncle who now takes all that time to actually understand it and highlight it and put it out there.
Speaker 2: How has that been received?
Speaker 1: Tell me? Yeah, you know, it's like the community doesn't want to react to it. And by react I mean something very special, like you saw this thing with Terrence Howard myself that Joe asked for.
Speaker 2: Yes, you were so nice to him. Maybe too nice, there was.
Speaker 1: I never want to critique somebody if I can't steal man them first. There's something wrong with the community that wants to pretend that a Harvard PhD in an MIT post doc can't be steel manned. Is this the first theory in the history mathematics and physics that can't be steelmanned? Like that's a really bizarre question. Yeah, so one second, think about it this way. What are the odds that somebody with my profile would work forty years and there's nothing to recommend what they work on? Like zero? There's nothing good that can be said about it. I can tell you that Terrence Howard's idea of sticking six pentagonal housings for propellers through the edges of a regular tetrahedron is an ingenious idea for a drone. I don't need Neil deGrasse Tyson to pat me on the back. I don't have to call up my friends in an aerospace department. I can say if nobody else has had that idea. He figured out that one hundred and eight degrees inside of a pentagon is almost one hundred and nine point four to seven, which is what you get for the interior angles of a tetrahedron. And he took that tiny discrepancy. He said that can be handled at an engineering level, and he built a drone with six degrees of freedom, so it has Pitcheon roll and it also has X, y and Z spanning something called the affine group. Now my feeling, yeah, I mean that's impressive. Yeah, And I'm going to catch all this nonsense off the internet, which is like, that's Charlotte and Terrence Howard, you were too nice, he had nothing, and another group of people is going to say you were such an arrogant brick win of course, but that's but my point is in neither of those things. There essentially are no theories that can't be Steelmann right, of.
Speaker 3: Course, a great author. The difference in a great novel. The reason that the Brothers Kara Monsov is a great novelist because Ivan, who is the atheist, is very hard to argue with. But The Grapes of Wrath great novel, but considered a good novel because you never get the point of view of the orange growers, the people that own the orange groves. We never see them. They're just these demons that are milking the poor dust pole migrants. But it would have been.
Speaker 1: A great Sinclair for me, for sure.
Speaker 2: I know this is actually Steinbecker.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but but but you mean the jungle, Yeah, exactly, But it's the same thing. There's the bad guys, so bad, But any great movie is the bad guy gives you.
Speaker 2: A monologue and you get his point of view. Started out as a kid.
Speaker 1: This is this is my take on Sorkin's version of Good Men. Colonel Jessop has as good of a point as Lieutenant Caffe. All the Walls Well, it's but it's undone by a flaw, right, So he gives this final soliloquies like he says something about you sleep under the bank blanket of freedom that I provide, not that we provide. And so this is Moses's sin, where Moses takes responsibility for bringing water from the stone for which he's prohibited to enter Israel. And so, you know, in a weird way, we don't remember that the reason that A Few Good Men is a great film and in a brilliant play really is that Jessup and Kaffe are evenly matched. It's not that one has the right point, one has the right.
Speaker 3: Thing exactly right, and that's such a good point because we want we ultimately viscerally, I sided with Jessip. The man side of me was like, yeah, that guy's a bitch, you know, but hold on, he's still you killed him.
Speaker 1: And well, the thing is, I wanted somebody on that wall. I needed somebody on that wall that wasn't him.
Speaker 3: Yes, but but well I don't mind having Jessup on that wall. But you have to remember that the reason that we don't have a warrior class that takes presence over all the other classes is because the warrior class is there to protect a gentler spirits, the people that actually can't handle the hazing and things like that. I mean, you can't make the protectors the end all and be all. The protectors are there to allow for what would be considered I suppose civilian rule. The argument would be, you have the most powerful army in the world in some ways because you have a powerful and strong and creative culture. You can't have a powerful, strong, creative culture if it's just a spartan culture. You need Athens. You need Athens to protect You need Spartans to protect Athens. I suppose the way I looked at it.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you think of Jessip as likely to be a cultured man in a narrow vein where he probably read Marcus Aurelius, Like, there's no question in my mind that Jessop is a thinker. The weird thing is that he's cheated of war. He's forced to stay on this base in this tense situation that is not actually hot.
Speaker 3: I would say that I don't know that he's a cultured man, but I think that in order to be a warrior, you need not be confused about the gray area between right and wrong, good and evil. Your enemy is your enemy, and you're in the business of killing or imposing your will or neutralizing your enemy. It's a it's a nasty business. I think you need a born enforcer.
Speaker 1: I think the problem is he's cheated of war and he's in a military edging situation where he has to eat his breakfast within uh, you know, in the crosshairs of a Cuban who's trained to kill him, but nothing's actually happening.
Speaker 2: I would agree with that. I would agree with that.
Speaker 1: And so, in fact, part of the problem is he's saying, look, I know who I'm supposed to be, and there's just no war for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's It's kind of like a Ferrari engine with no racetrack, you know.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 3: But you know what Freud said about that. I think it was I can't remember. Freud was having a correspondence with I can't remember the flus and and he said, uh, God, who was it it was? I think fred said, if you don't allow man to go to war, he'll go to war on himself, you know, you you and and and then the idea was that men don't go to war for hate. They don't go to war because they hate the enemy. They go to war because they love what they're protecting. And if you want to get young men to fight valiantly, if you want to get young men to die for a cause, you need you need symbols for them to march under, You need slogans, you need that sort of you need something that they can get behind, and it's usually love of country.
Speaker 1: Or or well entertainment. And I think that one.
Speaker 2: Of the one of that sustains.
Speaker 1: It's a very interesting question. So PJ. Work has a beautiful passage where he says that someone experienced what used to be called the drunk delight of battle before we decided that war was a bad thing, the trunk the light of battle.
Speaker 2: Well that's what.
Speaker 3: But when when they the young men marched off to the Civil War and certainly World War One, not so much World War II, but certainly World War One, they were they it was they were they were dead plumes in their hats, and they were excited to go to war. It was valiant. There was something. You know, any young warrior thinks of themselves as on the side of right, and there's there's a there's a romance to of it. The problem is war mocks that when you when you when you used to talk to somebody who's been in war. War makes a mockery of whatever you thought was right and wrong or whatever you thought was good guys, bad guys kind of stuff. It certainly about honor and courage and all those things.
Speaker 1: So certain kinds of warfare are incredibly demoralizing. So the bouncing betty that was developed I think by the Germans was feared because of the kind of injury that inflicted. Something that would kill you would be different than something that named you in a particular way, and you know, in a weird way. I think the dueling in a way that was unlikely to be fatal, so the two people could fire at each other and experience the thrill of not of likely not dying, or you know, dueling to first blood.
Speaker 2: In fact, they used to shoot kind of over each other's you.
Speaker 1: Know, well, there's something called deloping. I mean, now that you bring it up, it's a word that I never get to use. Where you fire your shot into the ground, you throw it away saying I have no desire to kill you, but I have no desire to cower either. Yeah. Yeah, that's so, you know, this was well, this is and this is why the manly world of the manispheres all up, because in essence, we've got a bunch of people trying to figure out how to be men in a time that has had a lot of peace since nineteen forty five.
Speaker 3: Well, this is Texas, my friend, this is uh you know I trained these guys. Well, I mean, you moved to Texas. You've got a copy of the Constitution in your back pocket, you grow an aggressive beard, you get better at jiu jitsu, You've got a freezer full of game meat.
Speaker 1: And tell me something. Yeah, when a guy with an AR fifteen shows up in Valdi, what do the men do my guns?
Speaker 3: Well, in Texas, you're supposed to rehearse that scenario, and you rehearse it not just with her live rounds, but with dummy rounds. So if you get it, if something jams, you learn how to expel your magazine.
Speaker 1: What I'm trying to say is that a mom took off her heels to top defense and rescued her kids from an active shooter situation because Texas was in Texas, right.
Speaker 2: That's right? Right, Yeah, So.
Speaker 1: We all, we all, we've all learned this way. Boy from from where I come from. You talk like that it's short ride. Well mostly that's that's TV. I'm not saying that.
Speaker 3: I have a joke about that, which is, you know, carrying a gun, which I could do in Texas. Frankly, it's a little heavy. It's a little heavy, and it also digs into my my spleen when I'm sitting down. And also I'm not responsible, so I have a house full of children, and the joke, but it's true, as I within three days if I started carrying a gun, I would go where is my gun? You know, which is not a good question to ask when you've got kids in the house. So, you know, Texas, not Texas or most of us figure.
Speaker 2: It's just a lot to carry. It's just heavy.
Speaker 3: After a while, you've just become paranoid and chances are it's not going to come to that and stuff like that. Now, yes, I do practice shooting because in my mind, I want to be the guy who can be.
Speaker 2: Like, get down, excuse it's okay, everybody.
Speaker 3: Problem with that also is I've had a lot of warriors and police officers and guys who've been inoculated to distresses of combat. Tier one operators just say, hey, Brian, here's the problem. If you've got a gun and there's an actor shoot a situation and you're squeezing off around the cops going to shoot you thinking you're the guy. There's a lot of things that.
Speaker 1: You have never considered, and you're going to figure it out the first time you need it.
Speaker 3: Another guy did this to me. He said, I said, well, if I'm with my kids in a mall, I want to be able to what's a good gun to carry? And he just stopped and he said, if you're at the if you're with your kids at the mall, huh, what's a good gun?
Speaker 1: What do you?
Speaker 2: What do you?
Speaker 3: How do you see this plan out? I go, if I see a guy with a gun and I got my kids there, I want to I want to take him out before he takes me out. And he said, yeah, okay, we'll go ahead. Show me what you would do, and he I just I go, what do you mean? He goes, just draw and shoot. So I go to draw. He grabs both legs and he starts pulling both legs in two different directions. He said, your kids are going to be holding on you, pulling you one way, and the other kid's gonna be pulling the other other way, they're gonna be holding on you. You didn't think about that, did you?
Speaker 1: Of the drywall problem all of it? Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I and I went, oh, man, I never thought about that. He goes, yeah, you want to get serious about this. You got to train for it like anything.
Speaker 1: This is this is the this is the problem I think. And by the way, this is why I'm really enthusiastic about this four Sun Force simmunition done it because they're actually converting your firearm into a de facto airsoft.
Speaker 3: You know, I haven't done the airsoft, but I did do a scenario where there are screens and they have an electric like literally a taser on your back and if.
Speaker 1: You get shot, you get penalty.
Speaker 3: Dude, my my cortisol. I got addicted to it though, because my cortisol, my adrenaline is through the roof.
Speaker 1: This is the problem with fetishes.
Speaker 3: All right, we've we've already digressed. I need to get back to Eric's theory of everything. So this guy makes this video. I want to know, can you give us Is there any way you can?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Before because I know that my producer Dylan is chomping at the bit. He wants to know the secrets to.
Speaker 1: The in the chair. I say, screwed, Dylan. I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it. You're right, Okay, you free me, Eric, you are my wings.
Speaker 1: You complete me. Listen. What happened was that Kurt and I were sitting outside of this conference. Kurt would say, Okay, how does your theory handle the three generation problem? Why are the three copies that matter? I said, here it is in five minutes, so I gave him the answer. Then he said, how does it handle the cosmological constant problem? So I gave him the answer. He said, okay, why are there sixteen particles in a generation? Gave him the answer. Why SU three quest SU two questions? You won the groups, the symmetries that generate the forces. Everything was about five minutes, and so he's like, how is this possible? And I said, I don't honestly know what's going on. He clearly has background in mathematical physics, I think from the University of Toronto. He says that on his program, I don't know what. I don't think he has a PhD. He don't think he had an advisor. I also didn't have an advisor. I did have it. I did get a PhD. But I think he probably stopped before and then he got curious, and then he disappeared, and then out of nowhere he appears and he's got this mock up of my theory on his screen.
Speaker 2: So he took a couple of months to go down that rabbit hole.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, wow man, and then he just like he's like, holy cow, it checks out and now it's okay. So now you've got two non professors roaming around the internet who are seeing sort of the same thing. Two well me and him. Yeah, and the community still isn't listening. And you know, and I'm trying to say to the community, in some sense, you're in receivership. You're in intellectual receivership. Ever since you caught the quantum gravity flew, and you've been talking about nothing other than the one true theory, and there's no other game in town. We all have to quantize gravity because this is the Holy Girl. All of this is total nonsense. And it really began nineteen eighty three, eighty four with one individual who was just so intellectually dominant that he steered the entire field towards his set.
Speaker 2: Of questions with that one speech. University of Pennsvania.
Speaker 1: No, that was the I that was the thing where I look. I'm in my freshman year, I guess at Pendents, so it's very unusual. It's more unusual for a freshman to be in a physics seminar than it is for me to be sixteen or seventeen. But I'm young. I have no idea where I am. I'm going to seminar as thinking that this is like normal, which I guess it wasn't. And I see this thing where I you know, Edwin at the seminar famously says, as every quantum field theorist knows the operator product, expansion, this, that and the other thing. Blah blah blah. The guy next to me turns to me and he says, I've been a quantum field there is for forty years. I don't know any of this shit. That's how profound it was, right God, when he's still around, Oh yeah, where's he at? He's I think forcibly retired from the Institute for Advanced Study because they have a seven retirement age. At seventy. He has not been as dominant recently.
Speaker 2: Have you tried to contact him?
Speaker 1: You know? He and I had two and a half three conversations that really mattered, where each time we went up against each other and some bizarre thing happened because I don't I don't know a fraction of what that guy knows, and I can't do a fraction of what that guy can do. But I do know what I believe, and normally what he does is he he just says, well, you know, as every grade school child knows, and then he says something, and people don't want to look dumb, so they say, of course, and I say, no, that's not true, because I'm autistic. So in nineteen eighty five he tried to prove that something called a Kaluza c line theory couldn't exist because the weak forces asymmetry precludes it due to something called the ata Hartsbrook theorem. So I went to his office in eighty five. I had a conversation with him and I said, you know, everything was going great, great guns. I was going to go to Princeton become a student. And he said, what are you interested in? I said, well, you know you wrote this article on and I have an argument that you haven't contended with about why Cluza client theory can't exist and he completely blew his stack.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, interesting, that always feels like insecurity to me. Unclear clear as right, But but can.
Speaker 3: You what where do you deviate? What is it that you are saying that other physicists are not saying.
Speaker 1: Especially I'm an entertainer.
Speaker 3: I know you're a little more than that. Eric, You're a little more than that, but I appreciate it. But no, you're you're you're a little more than that, and you're.
Speaker 2: Just a theoretical mathematician dealing with things that are just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: So just trying to get mine just you're just.
Speaker 3: A guy from trying to get from point A to point b. He ever hear I think it was who was the Coburn, the old? The old played bad guys? James Cobert, and he said, I don't play bad guys. I just play a regular guy trying to get from point A to point B the best way I know how, And if I got to take a couple of shortcuts, so be great way to describe a bad guy. Right, So you're just trying to get from point A to point B. You're just an entertainer, can you of us? Is there any way to explain.
Speaker 1: This to us. Yea, there is the really where.
Speaker 3: I could understand it. Yeah, okay, can can you give me what your rebuttal is and then give me.
Speaker 1: Give me well, let me just sort of give you the main ideas. So I just gave a talk at U see San Diego in the Cosmology Physics seminar, and I gave a formula for the dark energy. Now, in Einstein's setting, he worked on something called the space of metrics. So imagine that you know who Einstein is, You know that general relativity is his great work, but you're probably confused. You think equals mc squared is his major innovation, which it isn't. No, there's something called the Einstein field equations, which looks like capital gmunu plus lambda times little gmunw equals some constant times tm nu. So if you've never I'm just saying, well, but that should be your first clue something. Well, but that's the first indication that if I say that and you have a reaction, because I view you as a very generally interested person, something has to have gone terribly wrong if you think E equals mc squared is Einstein's big deal. So just keep in mind that the things that I'm going to say after that have to do with the fact think about physics as a giant mansion in which we give people this really weirdo guided tour where we don't let them visit almost any rooms. So I can go into any airport in the United States and there'll be somebody talking about the multiverse and entanglement in Schrodinger's cat, but there won't be anyone talking about why is SU three the symmetry of the strong force, which is much more of an important, you know question in some ways. Then then you'd have any idea gathering from the fact that nobody talks about it, or the three generations of matter. You probably have never heard that there are three generations of matter. So this careful curation both inside the field where you're trying to tell everybody the only holy grail is to quantize gravity. Where're going to make Einstein submit to the will of war, that's the holy grail. That's a curation inside the field where we lead beginning graduate students through this particular mindset so that they won't be able to make progress for reasons that I don't understand. And then we do this other thing with the lay public which is that we talk ad nauseum about entanglement and the double slid experiment and things of that nature in Schrodinger's cat and as a result, nobody knows actually any physics. So I'm going to say things which will sound unfamiliar, But don't blame the messenger. I'm just telling you Einstein formulated his theory on something called the space of Lorentzian metrics. So I want you to think about that as as if we were in Italy and you're in Pisa. If you have a problem with a term in Einstein's equations, it's a little bit like your tower is leaning. If you see there as being a leaning tower of Pisa, you're likely to think, boy, they screwed up the tower. When you find out that there are other leaning all the towers in Pisa lean, you start to think, oh, maybe it's the soil. So what I'm proposing is that we move Einstein's structure away from this thing that you've never heard of, the space of Lorentzian space time metrics and put it somewhere else called the inhomogeneous gauge group. Now, because you didn't know about the space of Lorentzian metrics. I'm not going to be able to talk to you so easily about that. Way that really is is a choice. So every instant of time that has a place and a time is called a space time event. And at that space time event, I've got three rulers in space, one watch that tells me how fast time is going. So that's four instruments. And then I've got six protractors X versus y, X versus Z, why versus Z, and then weirdo protractors time versus X, time versus why time versus Z. And that set of ten objects, the three rulers, one watch, three regular protractress, and six that is a space time metric at a space time event.
Speaker 2: So that's its address.
Speaker 1: Einstein said, Okay, nature chooses one set of rulers, protractors, and watches according to this formula. And I'm saying no, no, no, I think nature is working over the space of all possible rulers, all possible watches, and all possible protractors. And that means that if you take our four dimensions that we think we're in, so the three that we into it the extra one of time that Einstein told us to add. And now we add three rulers, one watch, three normal protractors, and three weird time versus space protractors, you get fourteen. My claim is you and I are actually in a fourteen dimensional conversation. We don't perceive it that way.
Speaker 3: So you're adding three dimensions to Einstein's.
Speaker 1: I'm taking the four dimensions that Einstein gave us and instead which space, x, y, Z and T. So three of space, x, y and z and one of time. And I'm saying, now I want you to think about the instruments that we would use to measure those dimensions as dimensions themselves. So now you think about how do you'd want to go to alpha centuri. This table is probably a wood or pseudo wood table. However, it's possible that it could be a display screen, and if so, I would be able to do this. This was introduced and I think around two thousand and six, two thousand and three something like that. At a TED talk. You can hear the audience gasp and it's called multi touch gestures, and this particular one is called pinch to zoom. So, in part, my suspicion is that space time is a model. It's not the territory This is something psychonauts and people take a lot of psychedelic drugs talk about. The map is not the territory. So think about general relativity in the standard model is the map. And we've been so long in a world where the map of our physical world isn't changing that we now think we live in space time. We don't realize that space time is a model and that model is almost certainly not right.
Speaker 2: So it's a virtual reality way.
Speaker 1: It's a distortion of reality that is the best distortion that we can work with mathematically.
Speaker 2: This whole thing we're doing now, You and.
Speaker 1: I are doing a thing in the territory. But if you had to make a map of the territory, somebody would start talking about world lines through space times. Imagine Brian Callen was a point or whatever, and at that point you're idealizing things.
Speaker 3: I'm so I gotta tell you, I don't even know how you even started conceiving of this. I don't even know how you start with this. I can't fathom how your brain works so that you're fourteen dimensions. I just it's impossible for me to even understand how you got here.
Speaker 1: Ryan. If I started describing a problem in modern day Turkey. Yeah, I know you very well, And what you do is you'd say, well, look, I think in many ways this problem has to do with the transition from the Ottoman Empire through Attiturk to a modern Muslim state in Asia Minor or whatever.
Speaker 2: And so you're starting with a model, a rudimentary.
Speaker 1: So I'm trying to say somebody starts with the problem, like, what are you curious about the physical world? You want to go to the stars?
Speaker 3: Personally, I don't concern myself with that stuff, but you know, but I'm curious about plenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, but why are we talking? What do you think this place is? What do you think we're made of?
Speaker 3: That's the nostalgia for getting closer to the truth seems to be as human as it gets. We all none of us want to be lied to. We all want to get closer to.
Speaker 1: What's actually that's true, we do want to be lied.
Speaker 3: Well, probably probably because it's a lot more comfortable, but you're right about that, But really none of us like to be lied to. Really, I mean, at the end of the day, I'd like to be the one who knows.
Speaker 1: I mean, I want to find out that the truth loves me just as much as the lies that I.
Speaker 3: Wish yeah, or I'd like to know that the truth is something benevolent. Yeah, yeah, yes, sure, right, that there's there's a point to this. And when you talk about there there being a point to this, right, the point is something good at the end of that day.
Speaker 1: Well, so maybe you want to know God?
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So my claim is is that in general, you end when a child goes through that chain of why questions, they either accept a because as an answer or they become a theoretical physicist or a mathematician.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's great, that's so true. That's that. That is so.
Speaker 1: I think that the natural the natural state of a human is mathematics and physics, and everyone who is not a mathematician or physicist needs to explain when did this become an interesting to you?
Speaker 2: When did this become uninteresting?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Here you are in a miracle. You don't even know what you are. If I asked you, you know about and I won't, I promise, But if I asked you, like about the particles in your body, how much understanding do you have of the quarks, protons, the neutrons, the glue ones, none? So at some point you're like, too rich for my blood.
Speaker 2: I'm out.
Speaker 3: But but but the understanding, the meaningful difference between things. It is really the difference between being a person of knowledge and wisdom in a lot of ways. I mean, you know, you you we knowing what the difference is.
Speaker 2: You have to work at that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you have to have at least a rudimentary understanding of music to really appreciate Mozart and Beethoven, and the difference between Bach and and shumeh whoever it might be.
Speaker 1: Sure or whatever, Schubert, Schumann, Schubert.
Speaker 2: Like whatever it is.
Speaker 3: But you know what I mean, like the the like Stelonious Monk, why is he? Why was he such a great pianist? Why was coal trying?
Speaker 2: Well? Okay, so there you go. The you know, he was a great composer, Okay.
Speaker 3: And when you hear Leonard Bernstein break down Beethoven, it's fascinating because he says the same thing about him, nasty about Beethos. He's nasty, but he had this god given understanding of the form.
Speaker 2: And when you hear that, you go, oh.
Speaker 1: I didn't know you're familiar with it. It's like a crazy thing where He says basically that on all sorts of metrics, Beethoven.
Speaker 2: Is mess, rudimentary, He's he's rudimentary.
Speaker 1: And then it comes up with a mess. It comes up with some conclusion at the end that there's one thing that makes Beethoven special, which is like every note has a purpose.
Speaker 3: Or something, knowing what, knowing what that next perfect note is so so he hadn't understand the form of it was this instinct.
Speaker 1: Ever heard his crazy introduction of Glenn Gould No the Broms second Piano Concerto.
Speaker 2: No, But I've seen it. I've seen it.
Speaker 1: You've seen him discussing this no frightening.
Speaker 3: I've seen Gould, though, wrestle with that, I think, and maybe I heard him talking about that.
Speaker 1: I think it's recorded, and my recollection has.
Speaker 2: A documentary, and there's a documentary.
Speaker 1: On So apparently Bernstein comes out and says, you might want to know why I'm addressing the audience tonight. It's very rare that a conductor does this. But I have such respect for the soloist Glenn Gould, that I am here to tell you that I completely disagree with his interpretation of the piece.
Speaker 2: A seeming something else man.
Speaker 1: And then he says, now, the normal thing to do is to pretend to feign a conflict and allow a junior conductor to take over so that I don't have to be in conflict with my soloist. But so high is my esteem for mister Gould that I've decided to conduct this against my own better judgment in the fashion that he has specified. And I'll let you be the judge. What well, this is when things mattered, they mattered, right, and like you can imagine something, He's like words, get to the music.
Speaker 2: For all you anti semitis at there by the way, Uh, Goold and Bernstein were juice and so's this guy. So you guys are so smart. It must be you know what.
Speaker 1: Actually I changed my name. I changed my name for McConnell for business reason.
Speaker 2: Eric McConnell. I don't know if he's that Scottish. This is weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, the fix is in. Uh that's that. And one of the things that bothered Beethoven is he couldn't compose a feud. I guess he was just always falling short of composing that feud.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he wanted to compose a fight. He and he felt like he was always falling. Yeah, YouTube Bernstein breaking Beethoven down. It's so great and it's so worth it. And I took what I loved about it is I'm constantly I'm editing my special now, and I mean, I can't. I just hate myself in general. I walk around feeling I was walking. I was in Austin, and I was walking around hating myself and feeling kind of shitty about myself. And and I'm with my wife and we're walking by this guy. I'm admiring his guitar. They're playing right there, and I'm walking on Sixth Street and in the middle of his playing, he gets off stage, walks up to me, stops playing, so it's all packed house, and he just goes, you are my favorite comic. You make me laugh. And I was admiring him and feeling bad about myself, walking with my head down with the posture of a jumbo shrimp. And this guy comes off and shakes my hand. He's all full of sweat, gives me a kind of a bro hug, and I just went, you know, man, you know I'll never complain about a damn thing life because I here, I am just hating everything.
Speaker 2: I do and this, and I and.
Speaker 3: This guy got off stage to say in the middle of his playing, so at least I'm moving some people.
Speaker 1: It just happened to me at a place called the Recording Club with a fabled drummer whose last name I can't say without butchering in Vinnie Cayuta, whose name checked on Frank Zappa's Joe's Garage, and legendary drummer because of his I think polyrhythmic and odd time signature ability. And I went into this to this recording club and somebody said, you know Vinnie's drumming right now. You've got to be kidding. And I said, can I see? He says sure. So I go into the actual studio. Now there's something about interrupting somebody when they're recording and actually walking into their sonic space. And Vinnie sees me, and there's an intruder in his space and he throws down the drumsticks and he gets up and like, I have screwed up so badly. I am the worst worm in human history. It comes over and he says, Eric Weinstein, I said, you have any idea who I am? I said, you're Vinnie Ga. And he's like doing. I'm just like, dude, you're you. You know, it's just and it's it's weird because when when you appreciate niche people like I'm very devoted, for example, to this guy Ryan Williams, who's a scooter trick guy does a stuff off rams.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know right, Yeah, he did our he did our podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh you know when we went to when Joe invited us for the UFC.
Speaker 2: Week, Yeah, he did our podcast Fighter and kid.
Speaker 1: Like him, Kyle Lenny, all of these death defying athletes. I just I want to say thank you for making me.
Speaker 3: I've got to do and Stump's podcast. Have you seen Andy Stump? Have you seen what he does in that squirrel suit? His royal record was just broken.
Speaker 1: I hate and love and hate and why don't you take a.
Speaker 2: Look at his po v as he's as he's diving through dude the ground, you will you will.
Speaker 3: Get a nasty carpet burn that you're not going to walk away from.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, one or two people survive their collisions with with.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one or two, and they're never the same. One guy got caught in a tree and enjoy that sh.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, okay, okay with that back to Yeah, well, the fascinating thing about this is that the reason that you don't start this sport is that you recognize that once once you've tried skydiving, you need to do a squirrel suit. Once you do a squirrel suit, you need to fly closer and do proximity flying. Once you do proximity flying, you're trying out new courses under weirder conditions, and effective your hedonic tread keeps.
Speaker 2: You got to keep the the the juice going. You got to keep upping the ante.
Speaker 1: And that's that's what I think kills people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that sport it is, and they die. Go back to we've been we've we've this the trump weave. Let's go.
Speaker 3: Let me take you back for a second. You have so your your the delineation between your theory and Einstein's theory, and he was working on the theory of everything before he died, is that there are fourteen points, not eleven points.
Speaker 1: I'm taking Einstein more seriously than Einstein, and I'm saying that what he called space time is a four dimensional sliver of a fourteen dimensional space, and that something that he used to generate his equations, which was actually technically discovered by David Hilbert, which is like a penalty function for how good or bad a configuration of physical states is called a Lagrangian or an action, and he used this thing called now the Einstein Hilbert action. And my claim is is that it's much closer to a combination between that action and something called the Churn Simon's action. Churn Simon's action is trapped in dimension three. It only works in dimension three, really, And I'm making the argument that Einstein showed us how to take a four manifold and make it behave as if it were a three dimensional space, so in a weird way which unfortunately without a whiteboard, I can't really explain it. He figured out how to take curvature and feed it back into the space of derivative operators using something called a contraction. Years later, SS Churn and Jim Simon's of Renaissance Hedge Fund fame figured out how to take in dimension three curvature and feed it back into derivative operators using something else called a Hodge Star operator. And in fact, what you need to do is you need to take the churn Simon's idea, but also the Einsteinian contraction idea and marry the two ideas in order to get the right gravity theory. So effectively, what I've said is, look, the problem isn't the equation so much per se. It's not the tower. It's Pisa, that's the problem. It's the soil, not the engineering. And so I've tried to lift this thing and put it down in a new home, and in the process, you know, I'm sort of down selling it. I am changing the equations, I'm changing the Leagrangians. This is new. It's not something that we already know, but it's not disconnected from our history. And for whatever reason, the community can't sit still to steal man it before figuring out what it wants to say is wrong. And I just don't I genuinely don't grasp how Kurt Jaimungle can have spent two hundred and fifty hours producing a three hour documentary and nobody in the official nobody in the priestly community can figure out word one as to what to say.
Speaker 3: Well, it's complicated, is stuff, and you've got to have a real background, you know, as you're talking, I'm wondering, is one of the instruments that you are taking into account the observer consciousness.
Speaker 1: It has no consciousness questions. What is the observer?
Speaker 2: What is the observer?
Speaker 1: Who? Well, that's the thing. I mean, one of the old jokes is you know who's the observer? Is that your father was his father the observer is it passed down to her. It's a weird way in which you're talking technically, technically, technically, and then you say this thing. It's like then the observer makes an observation and a measurement, thinking how did a human get into that story?
Speaker 3: Well, the observers are difficult. I mean, let's just dissect that for a second. Because you have the ability as an individual to actually observe yourself.
Speaker 1: I mean, you're you're airly.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, one of the things that meditators of the Vedanta and you know these kinds of things practice is observing what is happening. So their meditation would be something like I'm going to sit quietly and I'm going to just see what happens. So I'm going to watch the thoughts come into my mind. I'm going to I'm going to watch my emotions, my body go through its emotions. Something, my face will get hot, my heart will beat faster. I'm going to observe my physical body in this as a cloud of sensation, which you can do, and you can get very very good at stepping out of that and watching all of that phenomenon. So if you have anxiety, you can treat it almost like the same thing as when you burn your finger a little bit. It's just data. You just interpret the raw data of said thing. Now, then the question becomes who's doing the observing. And we tie our identity so closely to our emotions, our physical body, and our minds, our thoughts, our memories. But what if there's somebody else watching all of that? And in fact there is, and if you have any doubts about the power of that kind of exercise. C. Nineteen sixty three, when that Buddhist monk was protesting I think his name was the President of South Vietnam, who was a staunch Catholic and protesting that president's treatment of Buddhists in his own country. And he lit himself on fire, perfectly still and didn't move. And I think it was David halberts Stand from the New York Times who said he just keeled over. I just heard the air expel from his lungs and as his acolytes were crying. But that's a guy who had already left his body. That's a guy who was watching himself and had already left behind this avatar. So back to the observer, that's a hard thing to tear down.
Speaker 1: That's a really beautiful illustration of a very tough point. I don't think I've ever heard that.
Speaker 2: Well, that's this is where we get into this sort of the conversation about the observer.
Speaker 1: Well, see the problem is that they're different kinds of observation. So the next problem that I'm going to hit you with is, Okay, so you have a robot, you aren't a robot. You have something that has a metacognitive perch, and you observe your robot the breathing, that, how flush your cheeks feel, etc. From your meticognitive perch. But now the question is can you now observe your process from that perch and do the same trick that you did to your cheeks or does that thing resist observation. That something I've discussed with Sam Altman, whether or not consciousness beyond large language models, has to do with defeating a recursion property, where how do you observe the observer observing the observer observing. You know, that's a huge problem because if that doesn't self terminate, it's.
Speaker 3: Like, well, you know, sam Alman studies Vedanta, So sam Alman is very much in this camp. And and if you your guru, your goodbye or whatever is, will tell you that later on, as you start to cultivate the observer, I think it's called socty you you will then you will then very subtly start practicing observing the observer.
Speaker 2: All right, this is where to your point?
Speaker 1: Well, so my claim is is that either you're going to do something, which is to introduce something called a recursion limit, which.
Speaker 2: Is what stops we get to the point where the mirrors.
Speaker 1: Well, if I ask you what is one divided by three to infinite precision as a as a fraction, as sorry as a decimal, you're supposed to say, I've given you twelve digits and it's enough already. Otherwise the computer breaks now that or you could try to say, look, I'm going to observe the process of generating that fraction and let that be the observation. So I don't know how this gets settled, but ultimately there's there are multiple problems of observation in human life, and some of them are biochemical, some of them are physical. And my claim is that gravity is the observer. That is, yeah, that a choice, an Einsteinian choice of three rulers, one watch, and six protractors is the act of observing the fourteen dimensional space.
Speaker 2: The choice of using those.
Speaker 1: You may not know which ones you've chosen, but you see one, Well, how is that gravity? So imagine that Einstein has already convinced the world who follows general relativity that the choice of a Lorenzian metric is what generates gravity. That's something that you can blame me for not being a good explainer, but that is what's in the world currently. My claim is, if you think about this room, you might be led into air saying, what's the temperature in the room? Oh, it's sixty eight degrees fahrenheit? Well, is it sixty eight degrees fahrenheit everywhere in the room? How would you sample the various temperatures that are in the room. So imagine that you had, for example, a string of thermometers, and you had the string somehow arrayed through the room. You'd get a different reading at every point. There might there'd be some variation. Maybe you'd have a sheet of thermometers, and depending upon how high low bent curved, you'd get a bunch of readings across the sheet. Well, that's effectively what I'm saying is that you have some four dimensional object which seems to generate the universe, and then you have a choice of how to attach three watches, three rulers, one watch, and six protractors to that.
Speaker 2: You have a choice of how to measure it.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, now, how to get a collection of measuring devices? You have different measuring like this could be a foot, this could be a foot. You have to decide what a foot is in the ex direction, what a foot is in the wide erect.
Speaker 3: But when you write a script, you've got to decide what point of the story do you want to start? Yeah, I don't know if that's an analogy, but did You've got to kind of say, why on this day have we started the story?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 1: You know? Okay? Well, if you wanted to do it in screenwriting, you might say that, according to Save the Cat, there are forty beats in a film on average, and each beat is a measure of the change in the emotional cadence of a screenplay.
Speaker 3: I just you're just such a polymath and I can't believe you read Save the Cat. You see what I'm saying. The guy just knows, like literally, you want to talk about anything, and he's Blake Schneider and yeah, by the way, Save the Cat.
Speaker 1: That's your Well, I'm just trying to meet you where you are.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I know, and I get it, I get it, but but but.
Speaker 1: So som gravity Let's go back to gravity is a choice of rulers, watches, and protractors. And I'm saying, no, no, look at all of the rulers, all of the watches, all of the protractors on the four dimensional space. Take them in their totality, not just the ones that Einstein's they get picked up by the equation.
Speaker 2: How do you choose all those?
Speaker 1: How do you?
Speaker 2: I mean, where are they? Why did you come up with all a bunch of different ones?
Speaker 1: Well, this is what I'm trying to say about your temperature reading, is that if you look at your nest thing on the wall and it says sixty eight degrees, where's that sensor?
Speaker 2: You're suggesting that there are different temperatures in this room.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, So it's a little weird that we've chosen one.
Speaker 3: But you figured out a way, at least according to your equations, to measure all the temperatures in the room.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I'm saying first of all, that the particles that we are are not dancing on a four dimensional stage. They're dancing on a fourteen dimensional stage. And you know, if you and I both go to a we both take our daughters to see Taylor Swift. Okay, I'm behind a post and you've got floor seats.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's right, damn right. Sorry.
Speaker 3: I just like to assert dominance because I don't like how smart. So if anywhere I can get a little edge, but keep going.
Speaker 2: I'm right there. Yeah, she's waving to me.
Speaker 1: Probably. So you asked me, how is the show like lousy? How is the show awesome? Same show? But somehow we sampled that show from two very different places?
Speaker 3: Or for example, it's a great way to put it, because if I'm in a plane flying over Belize versus being on the ground in Belize, right, it's just two very different I mean, it's just when I look at a piano, it's a box until it's touched the right way and then it's a piano.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, you could think about another version of this, the Matrix I think it was during maybe it was the Matrix first sequel. You had the computer composed the scenes with enough three dimensional information that they could then try lots of different virtual cameras going through the scene. So the scene always happened the same way, but there were so many different possibilities for how to record it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so in effect, it's where you're standing in the question you're asking right.
Speaker 1: Well, that the claim is is that that scene existed with three dimensions worth of information, and the final cut of the film was one choice of a traveling path of a camera of a virtual camera. So effectively we've been blinded from our fourteen dimensional reality, if I'm correct, by the fact that this appears all wheeze as four dimensions. So if you imagine that you're in a let's say you're in a submarine and you've got a periscope. The periscope is a device from taking data from the above the surface world and creating a two dimensional image that you can see, so you can point out a polar bear, maybe there's an orchi dorsal fin and there's a ice glacier calving or whatever. All of those things are choices about how to point the periscope. We don't know what's making this choice effectively, but I believe that what's going on is that you and I are dancing in fourteen dimensions and we're taking some four dimensional slice and saying that's reality.
Speaker 3: And is that because of our limited visual and sensory apparatus.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I think it's fundamentally, it's.
Speaker 2: Fundamental mat So what I'm saying is.
Speaker 1: That we are the composite of a four and a fourteen dimensional space.
Speaker 2: We are a composite of that.
Speaker 1: But then, first of all, when I say we, I'm there's a general issue that I have with physics which I don't know how to get around, which is that I believe that we get very narcissistic when it comes to physics. We want physics to be about us at a deep level, and I see no indication that physics is about us. So we experience it, we are made of it. It is everything that we know, but it doesn't seem to deeply care about us. And so what I'm claiming is that the mathematics that lead to this world. As I understand it, it starts off with four dimensions, but with no rulers, no protractors, and no watches. And then it grows the space of all possible rulers, watches, and protractors. So four begets fourteen out of itself. So I call this indogenous dimensions. It's not extra dimensions you're slapping on. The four dimensions contain the blueprint for the fourteen. So think about it.
Speaker 2: It's almost a model for the fourteen.
Speaker 1: Would you say that a fertilized egg is almost a model for a blastosphere? And then would you say that a blastosphere is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a Well, it's a little bit like I could take a piano and scatter it on the ground and call it a piano. Technically it is, but it's not until it's just it's in its form and it knows how to be touched the right way.
Speaker 1: I guess there's very few things that construct themselves.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right.
Speaker 3: Aerosol said that if something about if wood making was in nature, then ships would occur in nature. I mean, if the wood making was inherent to the wood, then ships would exist.
Speaker 1: Well, this is why the unmoved mover is like a boundary condition, right, And so what I'm claiming is I'm not here to solve or try to solve, or pretend to solve. Why is there something rather than nothing that's way above my pay grade? My quest was, what is the minimal something that one has to assume to get everything?
Speaker 2: What is the minimal something?
Speaker 1: Yes, the minimal something appears to be four degrees of freedom, so roughly speaking, treble, mid base and reverb or salty, sweet, sour and bitter. Any four degrees of freedom, you know, let's get more john on a little bit less ringo.
Speaker 2: Isn't that sort of Francis Bacon's thing? Though?
Speaker 3: Wasn't Bret Bacon's contribution the idea that you can understand the universe using models, using rudimentary models. So if this works this way on this small scale, that's probably how the entire universe works. I mean, wasn't that the beginning of that?
Speaker 2: Or is that? Am I off? I don't really know? Okay, good, good, Eric, I'll educate you. Francis Bacon. But models models is a jew I have to avoid me. And that's a good point. But modeling and models, oh, it's delicious, it's very Listen, I'm going to force some bacon down you throw. I'll disguise as a sushi, you know.
Speaker 3: But that's that's uh, that is sort of You've got to start with a model to explain how the rest of the whole shebang works.
Speaker 2: It's all we have.
Speaker 1: Well to be blunt about it. I don't know where this is going to end up. Assume that I've made a terrible, catastrophic error and I'm boring your audience with what is effectively a bizarre ahab like tale of chasing a whale. You know. Then it's interesting because it's interesting that a guy can spend forty years avoiding all sorts of things that would have brought, you know, much more advantage to his family just to do this. Let's assume for the moment that it's actually sane. I don't think there's a comparable experience. Most things have a precedent, So you'll notice that nobody searches for land masses anymore. It was very interesting that in Gilligan's Island, the theme song says, the ship sunk ground on the shores of this uncharted desert isle. What do you mean uncharted desert Isle. So the last land mass? I love this question, and maybe I've used it on podcasts before, but do you know what the last land mass to be found was?
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: And that interesting question. Do you know when? I mean?
Speaker 3: My guess would be something like Antarctica, which is an ocean.
Speaker 1: Early twentieth century. Yeah, and it's some island, some sizable island off the coast of Siberia.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So certain games come to an end. Nobody thinks I am going to be the first person to find new land on Earth. This hasn't happened yet. One of the problems with coming up trying to do a theory of everything, which again is not a theory of everything. The technical trade name theory of everything refers to a complete set of rules for the universe, not a knowledge of what can be done with those rules. So imagine that you're learning chess by observing people and you've never seen, for example, a an ompissant move. You know, wait a minute, I didn't know that the pond could do that. And then you try it again, You're like, no, no, no, it only can do that if it hasn't moved previously, or something like this, then you see castling like what is up with this crazy stuff? And then you see somebody, uh, you know, game time out because two people haven't captured a piece and they've just been chasing each other around the chessboard. So you learn more and more rules, and they get more and more exotic as you go out. When you finally know the last rule of chess, so that you're not going to be surprised, every top player knows all the rules of chess, and there are even these things I don't know if you ever know about chess jokes. Chess jokes are when there's a badly specified rule and somebody will make up a position to show that that rule isn't clear enough. When you finally know all the rules of chess, you have a theory of everything for chess. It doesn't mean you can play chess at all, and you might be lousy, but at least you're not going to be surprised. Wait, you move two pieces at once, Well, that's just castling.
Speaker 3: In fighting that they talk about that like a veteran seen all the looks he's seen every look Like you've got your trips, you've got your judo, you've got your sambo. You've got your greco, you've got your freestyle wrestling, you've got your striking, you've got your kicking. You know, you've got your muy Thai, you've got your Dutch kickboxing. You've seen a lot of looks. You're not going to fool a veteran, not all that fancy.
Speaker 1: It isn't going to work well.
Speaker 2: But look, it doesn't mean to be a champion, but you.
Speaker 1: Can highly unlikely, but imagine that somebody says, oh, you've never seen the spinning nose before, you've seen elbows. Yeah, yeah, no, it's a gopher broke move. It's very very rare.
Speaker 2: That's right, right, It's called the woodpecker exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So don't tell me. We got to wrap this up, but I could talk forever. You should do that, I mean, because I want to get you know, because you said a long time ago to me, you teased me and ruin, You ruined the whole evening. We're having dinner, and uh, well, Eric, what's your theory or anything? And you said something like, well, singularity might already be here, we might already be rep self represented machine.
Speaker 1: With all due respect, you are conflating many dinners you're turning me into Look, whenever you invite Eric, it's thirty minutes of heavy depression and then he's exiting. Yeah, I'm comforted enough. You're always.
Speaker 3: I've never had you go to dinner where my guests didn't say, I want more of that guy.
Speaker 1: So you're very kind. Let's have another session where we actually talk more about this thing. What it's import is, I'm sorry if I was digressive. I would like to just say one thing, which is that both you and I have talked about feeling that neither the Democratic machinery nor the Trump machinery represents most Americans and what most people want for the country, ourselves and our future. And I just think it's very dangerous that in part whatever just happened politically polarized the country to such an extent that that shared concept of America is almost nowhere to be found, because these sort of two camps drain all of the oxygen in the room from anything moderate and decent that isn't focused on some sort of purity whatever, And that right now you and I are leae sort of in a world in which the podcasting thing that we both do is playing an outsized role. Very helpful for correcting the systemic distortions of mainstream and legacy media, but incredibly dangerous in terms of not presenting the forefront of thought that effectively, you'll have choices that we make. And you know, one of the things that I see and you see is that we know tons of people who are super interesting that aren't on the podcast circuit, with points of view that, if they were on the podcast circuit, you know, might chain the world. But by virtue of the fact that you see the same people interviewed over and over again and on the same topics, somehow somebody has to figure out how to use podcasting to explore the great unspoken for.
Speaker 2: That's the goal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I want to do. I'd love to do it with you, you know, because your guidance would be you know, it's not guidance.
Speaker 1: We're two guys fumbling around. I mean. One of the things that I just very much appreciate is that when I moved back to Los Angeles after thirty seven years away, you took it on yourself to be the one man welcoming committee. And one of the things that you wanted to indicate to me is just how intellectually dynamic that supposedly vapid City is, which is an old belief of mine that basically it's posing as the entertainment capital, but entertainment has to hire all sorts of geeks to get everything right. Plus it's an aerospace city built on an oil field, and people just don't see the actual city that has Caltech UCLA and all of these just wonders here. So it would be great fun to explore that with you.
Speaker 3: I agree with Eric because I think the liability of podcasts is that it's very hard for a regular comedian, whoever it might be, myself and everything, to know when they're being fed a lie or something that's been rebutted by the mass consensus of science or whatever it might be. So you allow that person to continue to talk after they've made a claim, and we kind of accept that claim without saying, hey, I know about this, Sorry, I got to stop you. Where'd you come up with that conclusion? Well, that bucks against everything, and that's where expertise actually does matter.
Speaker 1: Well, and just to riff, there's that. But now there's like a new, really significant problem that I don't know how to discuss, which is experts have allowed themselves to lie in relatively narrow areas. Of consequence, and the finding out that experts have this division between the esoteric and the exoteric. The exoteric is what they show the world, and the esoteric is what they privately believe. So, for example, scientists who were focused on COVID exoterically did not contradict the public health apparatus, and in particular the attempt to localize the origin of COVID to the wet market rather than to the one institute of virology. Why because in general, everybody knew that their funding was potentially dependent on them falling in line. So you have these experts who are made precarious. There's a fad for saying, oh, a bunch of cowards. Okay, well, if you're willing to take your kids out of school and to not make your mortgage payments like these boys do not play nice and they don't mess around, they will just destroy your life and your ability to function. And what we've done is we've allowed our scientists to lie to the public in a very narrow area to support the sort of out of control national security complex or this very large agreements on public health and all of these things and in that world, we don't realize. No, the experts are much less confused, but they are being squeezed. You don't realize how precarious a virologists is. And by making our scientific class, which I considered to be our deadly ninja priests, precarious, they are no longer able to serve the public interest. What we've done right now with the Trump people coming in is that they have the attitude of what scientists. Well, Fauci showed us that science is bullshit, and I mean, it's a tremendous amount of baby and very little bathwater. And do I agree that the bath water is feted and horrific. Yeah, it's terrible. And the way that you got there is that you allowed previous administrations to make science a worse and worse and worse career path for Americans who would stand up, who would be courageous, and who would say no. And so one of the things that I'm dying to do is to stop the idea that either there's no problem with our experts. Clearly there's a problem with our experts. And the issue of are there no experts? Are you stupid? Do you really believe there are no experts. You really believe that wealth and power doesn't get the best diagnostician when a family member is sick. Do you not believe that these guys know who to hire if their family member is kidnapped overseas? Yeah, there are experts everywhere, and you have a claim on them as an ordinary podcast listener, And you're being driven to hate your own experts who serve you so that you will punish them and punish them, and then they will just say, screw the pots.
Speaker 2: But I'm worried about them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 3: I'm worried about the demonization of big pharma. Big Pharma is they do a lot of things that are unethical. But you got to know you can't attack these things with a blunt instrument. You need to know how these things these You need to know how the US government actually works. It's a very complicated organism. So you can take a sledgehammer to it. Yeah, you might be getting rid of some very important stuff. I don't want to get rid of the Department of Energy. They've got sciences that track the weapons grade uranium.
Speaker 1: It's not the Department of Energy, it's the Department of Physics. And we call it the Department of Energy because Carter I think created it out of the AEC.
Speaker 2: Pretty much a political people.
Speaker 1: Well, and then we put somebody who having you know, gender dysphoria issues in charge of our nuclear waste, which was a disaster, and that means that criminal exactly. Well, when you when you have to, you can't just go and buy women's clothes as a dude.
Speaker 2: You can't wear on the internet.
Speaker 1: You have to steal him from from baggage care yourself. But look, you know another thing that we have a friend that we mutually love in Joe, and my feeling is that it's now gotten to a point where Joe has to take responsibility for how powerful he's become. And I don't think he likes that because he still identifies as the guy who just makes fart jokes into a webcam, which is how he got his start. So he built this thing from nothing, and now he's inherited responsibility that I don't think that he wants.
Speaker 3: I feel that way about like Jack Dorsey and Zuckerberg, who we're just trying to figure out a way to get people to communicate and stuff, and all of a sudden we're saying, hey, you're causing the people in Burma, the Rohingar being massacred using your Facebook technology by spreading false stories. Well, what's your safety team going to do about any right?
Speaker 1: Same thing, same thing with Sam Altman, all of these people, and and but in our situation, you know, one of the things that I think is really important is that sometimes Joe pushes back on me slightly when I'm not around. He's always very kind, but I think that we have to figure out some better way of adjudicating what's serious and what is it. So, for example, the reason I did the Terrence Howard thing is that Terrence Howard has one incontrovertible genius level contribution to me, you know, and I was happy to take. If he didn't, I wouldn't have done it right. But I was kind of just shocked, Like I said, you know in this thread, Hey, can you guys check out? Like the biggest thing in forty years has happened to me and there wasn't that much interest. Now you have a situation in which whatever Joe finds fanciful or interesting that day has an outsized influence. And I'm struggling with this myself. You know, I have focused on all sorts of ways in which heterodoxy actually has a really good point. And now I've got a bunch of people in power. Previously that I was talking to a lot my friends, I think still who are not being informed by our best understanding of the world. That effectively, this is broken into loyalty clusters. Are you loyal to MAGA? Are you loyal to DEI? And my feeling is, as an American, we're not in America until I don't have to kiss a ring and I don't have to bend to me, and I don't have to pretend that I can't see what I can see, and I'm not.
Speaker 2: You said, the strength of America is being able to give you your leaders the finger.
Speaker 1: Yes, and in my opinion, it's much better. There's no reason to give a lead to the finger who says, here's the plan, here's what I think we're going to do. We need strong leadership. I need to hear now from the dissenting voices, what do you have? I'm not seeing that. And this is terrifying to me. If dissent is not a part of MAGA, we're toast because descent cannot be allowed inside of DEI. Both of these things are in danger of becoming authority cults.
Speaker 3: Well, well, that's right, I mean loyalty. When loyalty is everything, you're not going to get your what you're going to do. If you're a ruler who demands total and complete loyalty, you're going to create a circle of liars around yourself.
Speaker 1: And partially what we're seeing is we're seeing the emergers of an idea that in order to show your freedom in the new world, you should find something taboo to do repeatedly. So the most mild form of this is to use the word retarded every four seconds. And the much more disturbing thing is that you dip into Nazi ideology and you say, you know, there's a lot of great stuff in there that we've forgotten, like Carl Schmidt's Friend Enemy dynamics, And the idea is that we need to keep people permanently polarized all the time, up down, friend or enemy, left, right, no gray area. This is a terrifying development, it is.
Speaker 3: And if you don't know how that repackaged terrible idea manifests itself, then you need to pick up a history book. But nobody has the attention span. And even then it's like who's history you know, and all this stuff. So it's a big problem. I wonder if you and I could figure out a way to push back on that a little.
Speaker 1: Bit, or to try to explore a different paradigm whereby, like I don't view you as highly political, I don't view myself as trying.
Speaker 2: To stay responsible to the evidence.
Speaker 1: Just I try, just try.
Speaker 2: I have my bias, but I try.
Speaker 1: And you screw up, as do I. And so my feeling is is that we need we need to model something new in podcast space, and I don't exactly know what, but i'd i'd be willing to give it a try with you. I would be so honest, I'd be honest to you.
Speaker 2: I mean, just doing this, I could do this all day. I love it.
Speaker 3: I love it, and I really appreciate you coming out and doing this. I know you have to get you to your kickboxing class, and I don't want to take time away from that.
Speaker 2: Why are you laughing?
Speaker 1: Pardon me nothing, I've given up on Muay Thai years. Oh you did? Oh? Absolutely, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now it's just jiu jitsu. Now it's just grappling or.
Speaker 1: Is it dance? Yeah, it's violent ballet.
Speaker 2: It's violent ballet. I forgot about that. You should see his touria te. It ends with a wheel kick. It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Seventh position.
Speaker 2: I gave it away. This is we do this stuff underground. You guys are in privy to that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Bran, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: I just want more always, and your theory of everything is well. I'm looking forward to, you know, to be continued, to be contintured, to