Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. About two miles away from Heathrow. It was a large explosion that was heard, followed followed by a fireball and clouds of smoke when the fire ripped through that electrical substation. Like I said, about two miles from the airport. No reason to believe it was suspicious. No foul play is expected at this point.
Speaker 2: But anti terrorism forces are helping investigate whatever it was that went on. You would imagine that in one of the world's largest airports being shut down for an entire day and maybe longer, that people would be absolutely losing their minds when reporting on this story. That is not the British way. This is the British way.
Speaker 3: That can assist in progressing at this investigation at pace to minimize disruption and identify the cause. Well, it's hi earlier of Fibrigade gave a news conference at the.
Speaker 4: Scene twenty three. No one's freaking out.
Speaker 1: One, No, it's it's very different. But they do have broadcasting rules over there where they cannot lose their minds. The way we can. But similarly, there was a passenger by the name of Lawrence Hayes.
Speaker 4: He was three quarters of.
Speaker 1: The way to London from New York when the Virgin Atlantic flight announced they were being diverted to Scotland. He says, Lawrence, it was a redee flight, and I'd already had a full day, so I don't even know how long I've been up for. Luckily, I managed to get hold of my wife. She's kindly booked me a train ticket to get back to Houston. But it's going to be an incredibly long day. We would be absolute animals if this happened. Heathrow is the biggest hub. I mean, they had the biggest January on record, by the way, so it is busier than busier Heathrow right now. And they say that these flight delays, cancelations, reverberations are going to last day, maybe weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if they do reopen, the plan as of right now is that Heathrow reopens at midnight their time, which would be later in the afternoon for us, later this afternoon for us. That still means thousands of past tens of thousands of passengers and hundreds and hundreds of flights are going to be delayed, canceled, moved, and then you've got the flight crews that were supposed to be at Heathrow that have to be moved around, the airplanes that have to be moved around.
Speaker 1: Heathrow is a hub for the globe, so you're seeing things like a flight from Tokyo being sent to Helsinki, right, you know, a departure from Hong Kong going to Amsterdam. One from Dubai routed to Munich. I mean, you're turning up in a place is very foreign from where you expected to go because you were going to connect through Heathrow. As Hugh Grant says in the major motion picture Love, Actually.
Speaker 4: You remember this part, right, J Blake, I remember what I had for breakfast today?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's at the beginning of the movie, and Hugh Grant says, whenever I get gloomy with the state of the world, I think about the arrivals gated Heathrow Airport. It seems to me that love is actually everywhere.
Speaker 2: Here is the Fire Brigade captain talking this morning from Ethra.
Speaker 5: At twenty twenty three on the evening of the twentieth of March, London Fire Brigade received two hundred and twelve calls to a fire and a high vaultage substation near Heathrow Airport. The fire involved a transformer comprising of twenty five thousand liters of cooling oil fully of light. This created a major hazard due to the still live high voltage equipment and the nature of the oil fueled fire. LFB was in close contact with Blue Light partners overnight and at zero zero forty two the Metropolitan Police declared a minor incident.
Speaker 4: Again you mentioned this before.
Speaker 2: At this point they're saying there's no evidence of there's no evidence of foul play, but that counter terrorism officers are going to be leading this investigation because of the impact that it has on what they consider critical well what we all would consider critical infrastructure in the form of that massive, massive airport. Now again, thousands of people literally stuck at Heathrow because they can't get out and they have no idea when their planes are going to be getting.
Speaker 4: Out, and they said there's no flight and we have.
Speaker 1: Yet to hear anything.
Speaker 4: We've been here for how long three hours, three and a half hours, four hours with no information. We're waiting. We don't know one of our party was said that we wouldn't get out till the twenty fourth, which is a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is now. If you're a Heathrow the good news is there's a million things to do. I mean it's basically an amusement park with airports. I mean you can a spa day at Heathrow. You can do anything there, get your nails done, what have you. If you're diverted to Gatwick, you're screwed. There's nothing to do at Gatwick. There might be like a fish and chips place that's subpar, but you're screwed. There's nothing to do there. You're diverted to Shannon and Ireland, nothing to do there. The good news is if you're a layover, is it Heathrow, it's at Heathrow.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 2: They have said that they have not had any evidence found any evidence that this was foul play. But European leaders have been very on edge lately, specifically because of what's been going on with Russia and Ukraine, and they have been concerned that there would be some serious acts of sabotagem I five, which is the domestic spy agency. I guess you could say the FBI for the uk I five had come out and been warning not just British government officials but others in Europe that Kremlin spy agencies are on a sustained to generate mayhem across Europe, including encouraging arson, encouraging sabotage. This would fit that, this would fit that MO if in fact they do find some evidence of foul play.
Speaker 1: I was surprised they came out right away and said there was no evidence of foul play, and if that was a play on investigating foul play, we'll find out, all right. Everyone lost their minds this morning because they said Elon Musk was going to get briefed on China. But he's not elected. Why is he getting all this information? Trump now is taking office at the Oval Office, He says, Elon Musk was there for Doze, not for China. PS. Boeing just got a massive contract, massive to serve as basically the quarterback of the Air Force's future fleet to take on China. We'll tell you about that development when we come back.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: I was wondering, I wonder what happened in Gary shower this morning.
Speaker 2: Well, let me be clear when IM straight stuff, when I pantomime, I keep it, kept it here.
Speaker 4: I kept it, I kept it above the desk.
Speaker 1: But you did show me the pit.
Speaker 4: I did the pit thing that's.
Speaker 2: Usually number one, that's usually number one hot spot. But I didn't get into the number two hot spots. I just said, I just it was a different soap.
Speaker 1: Well, speaking of you using your wife.
Speaker 2: Soap in the shower, Gary Shannon KF I am six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: We have something a little special to tell you about, including things that we're going to put on your face.
Speaker 4: Yes, we have a new.
Speaker 2: We have a new addition to the Gary and Shannon show podcast lineup. So every day we do a podcast, yeah, which some people don't realize it's.
Speaker 1: Live, but it is a podcast because after we do the live podcast, it becomes a podcast podcast.
Speaker 2: Right, the Old Fashioned or the New Fashion Way? Do the Old Fashion Way first and then they do the New Fashion grist or every end of every day we put up the show so you can go back and listen to the podcast all the parts you missed or the parts you loved so much you want to share them with friends and family. We now are going to be doing something called the Gas Weekend Fix, which is an entirely new segment that you don't hear on the air. And I just realized yesterday as we were doing this week's you can say.
Speaker 4: Things on the podcast that you can't say on that radio. But we didn't swear did No, we didn't. I don't think so I don't remember.
Speaker 2: And see that's the thing is it was off the it's not in this studio, so we say some pretty crazy things. So anyway, when you subscribe to the podcast, when you find Gary and Schenn and show anywhere you listen to your podcast, whether it's the iHeartRadio app or anywhere else. When you subscribe to the podcast, you get notified every time we post a new episode. And the episode that we'll be posted tomorrow is completely new. It is completely different. You have not heard this information before.
Speaker 1: Speaking of new, can I get some excitement music?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me see if I can Tony give me the there is that's so that's not exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that'll work all right, My fellow Americans, I would like to introduce you to what's being called next Generation air Dominance.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: This is air Force's future fighter jet. It will have stealth and penetration capabilities that far exceed those of the current fleet by your US Air Force. This, they say, this next generation air dominance is essential in our potential conflict with China. Stealth and penetration capabilities America, yep, the ability to be secret and penetrative okay, at the same time against China into China.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm done. It's called an F forty seven.
Speaker 1: So is it interesting to you that Boeing gets this contract?
Speaker 2: It Listen the ride ups that I saw last night. I didn't know this announcement was coming down today, but the ride ups that I saw last night had suggested that Boeing was kind of on the ropes. Boeing hasn't been doing well in terms of the building of Air Force one, the new fleet of Air Force one planes, and the Boeing Starliner feis Ago that left those astronauts stranded in June.
Speaker 1: And the President's kind of made this big showing that Elon Musk and SpaceX was the rescuer in all of this, the hero. So for him to come out and announce that Boeing is going to build our next generation fighter jet is a pretty big deal.
Speaker 4: It's significant, very significant. Okay.
Speaker 2: So the other story that was happening regarding military stuff today is that Elon Musk was due at the Pentagon. He's already been there and had this briefing that was taking place. But The New York Times wrote it up by saying that that Elon Musk was going to the Pentagon to be briefed on the US military's plan for any war that might break out with China. The Washington Post said it was focused on the threat posed by China. The Wall Street Journal said the top secret briefing was plans for a potential war with China. When those stories came out, sourced by different people over the course from each of those three different news agencies, the Pentagon immediately came out and said none of that is true at all.
Speaker 4: Sean Parnell is a spokesman for the Pentagon.
Speaker 7: This started with this New York Times headline and they since changed it. But Musk set to get access to top secret US plan for potential war with China. This is egregious, This is fake. The New York Times should retract this story. Five anonymous sources I've been On Bilat calls with the Secretary. I see how hard he's working to implement the President's agenda and pursue peace through strength. This type of garbage from the New York Times undermines that process and undermines our mission. It shouldn't happen at all. Elon Musk is just coming over here for a visit again. He's an innovator.
Speaker 6: This is a guy that shot a rocket.
Speaker 7: A thousands of miles an hour, that's thousands of pounds, and as it landed back on the Earth, it was grabbed out of mid air by a giant robot arm. We want a guy like Elon Musk in the defense departments to help us come up with creative solutions to the problems that we face of the day.
Speaker 2: That last part I thought was the most brilliant defense of Elon Musk and his value to the country outside of doze, Outside of whatever concern you have about an unelected guy going in and taking a look at these different agencies and how to streamline the federal government. This is a guy who thinks outside the box and has successfully been able to do things that we thought were unimaginable. The idea that he would have a car company that's all electric that blew the doors off of the auto industry and changed the priorities for the auto industry in the United States, in fact the world. And then the SpaceX, this private exploration. You can't argue this guy's innovation.
Speaker 1: You can argue if you think he's smart or not based on his decision making. You cannot argue on his intelligence. And when we got out of the business of putting the most intelligent people in power is a very dangerous move because if you're only going to have the Washington establishment make the decisions in Washington, we're going to remain screwed. The more people you can bring in with unique independent thought and people who are not entrenched in politics and have people to pay back and backs to scratch and oils to spread the better lotions, oils and lotions, lotions and potions. You didn't work with John and Ken for as long as I did. They're very much into the oils and the lotions.
Speaker 2: I have never spread oils and or lotions on either of those two. Well, you're not a politician. Those two have been looped up numerous times. I'm yeah, I'm.
Speaker 4: Sorry that was necessary. I was unnecessary.
Speaker 2: It is a Friday, which means we're going to do what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 4: You can leave us a talkback message on the app.
Speaker 2: So when you're listening on the app, just hit that little button and you can record a message.
Speaker 4: Just let us know what you learned this week while you were listening.
Speaker 1: But you know what I mean, everybody in Washington has favors to pay back and to have somebody who doesn't have any That's why Arnold Twarzenegger was so successful at getting elected, you know, without the special interests. That was the thing. He didn't owe anybody anything. He didn't want money. He just wanted to get in and disrupt things and change the way things were done in Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Was Arnat Schwarzenegger like an early indicator of what President Trump was going to Yeah? Interesting, I never thought of it that way, but that kind of makes sense, all right. The new book that's coming out Facebook does not want you to read it will explain why.
Speaker 1: Oh, there's some great nuggets in here.
Speaker 6: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM.
Speaker 1: Six forty stories we're following for you today sabotage not suspected in that electrical fire that brought Heathrow to a standstill. Officials have not now they say, ruled out foul play. Of course, one of the busiest airports in the world. There will be disruptions that last days. They have resumed flights there, but they are they say, already thirteen hundred flights around two hundred thousand passengers are affected by this.
Speaker 2: The British tabloid The Sun is reporting that King Charles is going to make an offer to the United States to become the next associate member of the British Commonwealth. Its currently fifty six states are in the Commonwealth and they said that they would be They would welcome the US as a new member the US.
Speaker 4: If the US is in fact.
Speaker 2: Invited to join the British Commonwealth, that's going to go over well. It is hoped to be a step towards bringing Canada and the United States a little closer together shared values, to.
Speaker 1: Be trying to make peacemaker. Here is this Canada using Britain's schlong to exude dominance or what well, Canada being part of the Kingdom.
Speaker 4: The Commonwealth, Yeah, the Commonwealth?
Speaker 1: Is this the Kingdom, the Schlong saying that, like, we will invite you United States to be part of our party as opposed to the United States trying to take over Canada? Is this Britain trying to show it? Slong Schlog slog, you need a napkin.
Speaker 2: You are making all kinds of spit over there for some reason. Yes, that is exactly what it is. And then a quick well, i'll tell you the other quick note. A very popular person was just diagnosed with autism. Oh yeah, I'll tell you the next segment.
Speaker 1: I think we're all a little bit autistic.
Speaker 2: Probably, yeah, careless people. Reference to a line from The Great Gatsby is the name of a new book. This is a tell all memoir from Sarah Wynn Williams, who at one time was let me find her title the director of Global Public Policy for Meta, which of course owns Facebook and Instagram.
Speaker 1: She is spilling the tea, guys, she is dishing. Some of these tidbits are revolving around Cheryl Samberg. Of course, Cheryl Samberg was self help corporate self helps it girl a handful of years ago when she published her book Lean In. Facebook chief operating Officer Cheryl Samberg and one of the the anecdotes that is shared in this memoir is in the chapter called Lean In and Lie Back. In that chapter, you've got Cheryl Samberg and a young assistant named Sadie, whom Samberg treats as a little doll or a lady in waiting, complete with hair petting and lap sitting duties. This woman who wrote the book, Sarah Wynn Williams and others are flying in a private jet back from Davos, Switzerland, and Cheryl Sandberg in the book is said to be poudy, and she repeatedly tells the author Sarah Win Williams, come to bed, come to bed, the single large bed on this aircraft for a sleepover. Now the author, Sarah wyn Williams doesn't want to go come to bed with Cheryl Samberg and have this girl sleepover, this weird adult sleepover thing, so she tries to pawn the job off on Sadie. Sadie, who's the lap dog, the little dog, the lady in waiting whatever, And they write in the chronicle. Then, in a move that combines mean girls and a toddler having a bedtime tantrum, Cheryl Samberg says Sadie slept over lots of times. And I'm not asking Sadie, I'm asking you what an awful Oh my god, that is so awful.
Speaker 2: She goes on and she talks about Mark Zuckerberg as being super out of touch, that he and he's a hybrid of Sam Bankman Freed, and Donald Trump. That he prefers hoodies and casual wear at all costs, He's obsessed with crowd sizes, he doesn't like social norms, he doesn't like matters of etiquette, He trusts.
Speaker 4: Impulse over plans.
Speaker 2: All of these, I mean, these very clear descriptions of these people who there's something about their personalities. There was something about Mark Zuckerberg who hit he struck gold with the original plans for Facebook, and then he's elevated to this position of basically president and CEO of a massive social media company, but doesn't have the personal characteristics that it takes to be a good person.
Speaker 4: That's kind of the basics.
Speaker 2: I mean, the careless People title is supposed to be referencing the people from the Great Gatsby, who you know, bad people can make good decisions and good people can make bad decisions. But a lot of times bad people. It's careless people that are going to make the worst decisions about businesses and interpersonal relationships.
Speaker 1: I like the part about the board games too. I can see that that Zuckerberg surrounds himself with all these yes people, and these people will he loves board games, and they'll routinely just let him win at the board games, so that when he met a worthy opponent that't wasn't in on the whole let Mark Zuckerberg win, he immediately thought that they were cheating because he wasn't winning.
Speaker 4: I hate people like that.
Speaker 2: I hate people that would do that. That would be the guy that lets him win.
Speaker 4: All the time?
Speaker 1: Hot or not, I say not.
Speaker 4: Well, this has.
Speaker 2: Been a common theme of this show in the almost ten years that we've been doing it. Bad people spreading bad diseases by doing bad things.
Speaker 1: I don't remember us ever talking about the case of a guy peeing in a water bottle at work and spreading STDs. I remember Mark Burnt and his cookies. That was the John and Ken days.
Speaker 2: What about the flute guy, the guy was doing it into the flutes, I don't remember that. Yeah, where was that?
Speaker 4: Was that? Local? Really?
Speaker 1: In the schools as well?
Speaker 4: Huh yeah.
Speaker 1: In the recorders?
Speaker 4: Were they recorders? I think they were recorders to me because.
Speaker 1: I don't know about schools that have a plethora of flutes, but I do know that recorders are. Is this when we got producer Nick the recorder and he would my heart will go on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, where did we get that recorder from? By the Amazon? Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, just the same way I just bought your beef tallow that we're going to put on your face.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: If you want to know the story behind that, ye, you'll have to listen to the special weekend podcast.
Speaker 4: The Gas Weekend Fix.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you've never heard it before. It's not going to be on the radio show.
Speaker 6: So you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: So. Then Trump says Boeing is being awarded the contract for the next US high tech fighter jet. He says the new F forty seven will be the best get it forty seven?
Speaker 4: I did not put that together, but okay.
Speaker 1: Forty seven will be the best fighter jet ever made. They beat out Lockheed Martin for the contract.
Speaker 2: There was an old World War two P forty seven P forty seven Thunderbolt, the penetration capability. Okay, are said to be Hey, I didn't come.
Speaker 4: Up with that tagline.
Speaker 2: A janitor in tech spread sexually transmitted diseases to more than a dozen office workers by peeing in their water bottles and their waters.
Speaker 7: Me.
Speaker 2: I don't know what kind of weird websites you get information from, but was this was a Shannon special? What's amazing is this guy only got six years in jail, stayed prison there in Texas, and and it's Texas, and he's already served a couple of years, so he's due for or he's eligible I should say, for parole by next year.
Speaker 1: What causes somebody?
Speaker 2: It's a good question. I asked that same question. He said he did have malicious intent and that it is a sickness to go along with the hepatitis A and the herpes that he's been spreading around.
Speaker 1: I saw his mugshot. He looks like a guy who would do this. How does he get herpes and hepatitis? I mean somebody had to a sexual transaction. Oh, I see a transaction? Yeah, paid for it, a financial transaction. I don't know any hookers with diseases though.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm sorry, you only go to the clean one.
Speaker 1: I don't know any hookers, so there's that.
Speaker 2: In this case, there was a woman who said that that her water tasted sour, had an odd smell and a yellowish color. So she set up a hidden camera on her desk and caught him sticking as junk in the water bottle after she got home for the day.
Speaker 1: Why would you why would you leave your water bottle at work?
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say that would be the thing that you would assume happen.
Speaker 1: Well, let's just say I've done that a couple times, where I've left my water bottle in our office and I'll come in the next day and I'll see that I left it there accidentally. I throw it away immediately. I don't freaking know people are doing around here. That's exactly where my mind goes right away. Either are somebody spitting it or they peed in it. I don't think that they spent the time and the effort to do other things.
Speaker 4: But something.
Speaker 2: I mean, nobody goes into the our office because they think it's a storage closet, so I don't think anybody would be in there.
Speaker 4: They don't. It's not like the.
Speaker 1: People walk through from our office all the time. Remember the guy that stole the beer at seven forty five am.
Speaker 2: That's because the door was open and the light was on. If we're not here, I don't think anybody looks at that room and it's.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, I'll bet you they got value. There's a water bottle there. I think I'll pier stuff. Lama in the corner. I wonder what that's doing there, Listen.
Speaker 1: I just I don't give anybody any credit to not do that.
Speaker 2: I wanted to mention this because I thought it was an interesting story. Bella Ramsey twenty one year old. Bella Ramsey is an actress in the Last of Us Right Now, based on the video game.
Speaker 4: She was also in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: There was a crew member working on the Last of Us who happens to have an autistic daughter and said that she noticed Bella had some of the same characteristics that her autistic daughter had, So she approached Bella and asked if she had ever been diagnosed with autism, and Bella said, no, I do notice a few things about myself, Like she said, she was very hyper aware of other people's facial what would you call it, facial cues and body language and things like that she's.
Speaker 1: A non binary individual.
Speaker 4: I believe. Oh so I should just say Bella.
Speaker 2: I don't know Bella, then said Bella felt like a weirdo and a loner and had always wondered if Bella had autism, but went to a psychiatrist and actually had an evaluation and was diagnosed with autism at the age of twenty one.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's pretty rare these days.
Speaker 1: Well, we didn't used to diagnose any of this when we were kids. There was no add there were you know, you gave kids out or all or what have you. But nothing was ever diagnosed or labels put on anything. And I wonder if we're better or not better off because of that, because of the absence of labels when we were growing up. No matter what it was, no matter what there was something in the psychology manual or sexuality or anything.
Speaker 4: Maybe we know too much? Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 1: No, I just this whole new thing of labeling everything. I feel a certain way, label I am a certain way, but personality a certain way.
Speaker 4: Label It's just nothing was labeled back then.
Speaker 2: Up next, a bunch of Democrats are trying to light the fire under Kamala Harris for an exciting run for governor of the great state of California.
Speaker 1: Yeah as or get off the pod, is what they're saying.
Speaker 4: Gary and Shannon will continue right after this. You've been listening to The Hurry and Shannon Show.
Speaker 2: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio Lap