Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI A M six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. Swamp Watch starts in California today.
Speaker 2: Swamp is horrible, government man, make us like a reality TV show, A bad noos.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey, Joe, he's a town.
Speaker 2: Hall too, clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 4: Still a swamp.
Speaker 5: I have a watch of Malarkey. Boy said, drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so he keep you know the thing.
Speaker 1: From the New York Times, Governor Gavin Newsom ordered California officials today to begin dismantling thousands of homeless encampments. This is the response, the biggest response to a recent Supreme Court ruling that gave governments greater authority to move these homeless encampments from the streets. And then Sean Hubler, reporting from Sacramento, writes in The New York Times, homeless encampments have vexed California, where housing costs are among the nation's highest, more than any other state.
Speaker 5: Homeless those home.
Speaker 3: Prices two different issues.
Speaker 1: Home prices but it's home prices. It's not home prices, it's drugs. So my lack of treating people.
Speaker 5: Let me push back on this.
Speaker 6: Yesterday when I was over here at the Burbank Nature Park and there was a guy washing himself in the in the tan bark out there bathing, it was warm.
Speaker 5: He I said to him.
Speaker 6: Sir, if only you could afford a down payment, and he said, he said, pirates stole my pancakes.
Speaker 5: And I thought, sir, I know exact.
Speaker 6: I feel your pain because there's got to be something more to it. Is there is there any program, any state program, or anything that might might help you put a down payment on a house. And he said, green screens, slouder an orange.
Speaker 5: I said, I get it.
Speaker 1: Why are we leaning continuing, continuing to lean on that narrative that it's home prices.
Speaker 3: It makes no sense.
Speaker 1: There is such a far divide between people who want to get into a home and the people who are screaming about pirates in the human bathing public tube.
Speaker 5: And get ups.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is a guy who clearly has some amount of skill. It's just that no one's offering him a job. He had three perfectly taxidermied squirrels hanging around his neck, and I thought to myself, there's got to be a market for that. So why can't this guy just, you know, make just a decent living and get just the tiniest leg up.
Speaker 5: And then he pulled a leg out of his.
Speaker 6: Bag, and I thought, well, there's your leg up, buddy. That's all you need to get past this speed bump at his home price is in California, if we.
Speaker 1: Cared about that man in the park, we would put him into a center and clean him up and detox him and get him the medication that he.
Speaker 3: Needs, give him a truth for him.
Speaker 5: Quirrels.
Speaker 1: Yes, ignoring him is the perfect examples.
Speaker 3: Not exactly, it's.
Speaker 5: Not compassion.
Speaker 6: When the Ninth Circuit limited the ability of cities to take down homeless encampments, because remember this was the case out of a boise that suggested that were said, you can't arrest somebody, you can't criminalize sidewalk sleeping unless they or I should say, until you have shelter beds for those people. Well, we have one hundred and eighty thousand people in California rough estimate living on the streets. We don't have one hundred and eighty thousand shelter beds.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I just had a visual of the guy pulling a leg out of his bag, just like a severed leg, and then the squirrels painted a very good picture.
Speaker 3: Were you really in the nature park?
Speaker 5: Well, he was sad. You know that park that's right across the street.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: You were there yesterday?
Speaker 5: Well, I drive by it every day.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, twice you weren't in the park.
Speaker 5: I would never set foot in that park.
Speaker 1: There's not just weird after show walks you do in nature that I don't know about.
Speaker 6: Part of it is that I have to rewarm my body like I'm a snake, and I have to get out from the cold, and I have to sit in the sun.
Speaker 5: Yes, spread eagle like this. I have to splute in the Burbank Nature Park just to warm up.
Speaker 1: I spleute the whole way home without the air conditioning.
Speaker 5: What do you mean, Well, just because it's.
Speaker 1: So cold in here, I don't even turn the air conditioning in my car on on the way home.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, I don't even I can just defrost and it's one hundred and three by the time I get home. Yeah, sitting in a car for twenty five minutes and then it's one hundred and three inside the car. But then that's when it starts to just barely feel warm again.
Speaker 3: We got to get to we gotta get.
Speaker 7: I decided the best way forward is the past, the torch for a new generation. That's the best waiting anine our nation. You know, there is a time and a place for long years of experience in public life. So there's also a time and a place for new voices, fresh voices, yes, younger voices, and that time of.
Speaker 5: Place is now.
Speaker 6: That was President Biden in his speech last night from the over Law Office.
Speaker 1: Not one person is talking about him lasting till January.
Speaker 3: After that.
Speaker 6: Yes, he just had COVID.
Speaker 3: I understand that. Yes, he's eighty one years old. I understand that. Yes he has a stutter, and he grew up with it and he still has it. I understand that.
Speaker 1: But and I'm not saying Joe Biden's a bad guy. I'm saying that that is not somebody fit to be president of the United States till January.
Speaker 3: It's just not.
Speaker 1: My eyes in my ears do not lie to me. And no one's talking about that. If that was a Republican president. The media would be all over it.
Speaker 6: I just it strikes me that there is now still coming from the White House this drum beat of there's nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong, there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 5: You're making it up, there's nothing wrong.
Speaker 8: I have nothing to do with his health. In his letter, he talked about the country, he talked about the party, he talked about the moment that we're in right now. It is not about his health. I can say, no, that's not the reason there's been no cover up. I want to be very clear about that.
Speaker 5: That was Karine.
Speaker 6: John Pierre Rayne's previous was once there are NC chairman. So I mean he's coming from the Republican side of it also, But he says, where was any discussion in that speech about his health?
Speaker 2: Clearly this was a political decision, and it's very bizarre to me that he didn't address the elephant in the room, which is his health. And if he's not healthy to run, is he healthy to be president. I'm not making an accusation. I'm just saying he should have addressed that issue.
Speaker 1: Republicans, they say, increasingly see Josh Sapiro, Pennsylvania governor, as somebody who's going to make their lives more difficult. They say that Josh Shapiro is the one that will offer Kamala Harris a boost, make their efforts trickier, that he's someone who could broaden her appeal with independent voters and traditional Democrats who are drifting away from the party and help win over that massive electoral boon that would be.
Speaker 3: That would be.
Speaker 1: Pennsylvania, I think at seventeen is it seventeen electoral.
Speaker 5: Votes seventeen or nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 6: The important point about that also is that that's a geographic consideration, Pennsylvania being his state, that would be a geographic consideration. One of the other names that has come up, of course, and has in the last say tex twenty four hours been at the top of the list was Arizona's Senator Mark Kelly.
Speaker 5: And we mentioned earlier the New.
Speaker 6: York Post article that said that Obama didn't believe that Kamala Harris could win and that's why he hasn't endorsed her publicly, which was then countered by articles in CNN and NBC that said he was imminent, that endorsement was imminent, But that New York Post, going back to it, the New York Post article quotes friends of the Biden family who said Obama's thinking was Mark Kelly would have been the best option for Democrats, given his military service, given his history, given his likability ratings and things like that, more so than Kamala Harris. So anyway, that's neither here nor there, because she's going to be the nominee. Former President Trump did not like the speech last night that Biden gaates it.
Speaker 9: It was terrible. It was like a terrible speech and terrible delivery. He looked like he was having problems. And yet you watch the other networks and you would think he was Ronald Reagan in his prime, Winston Churchill in his prime.
Speaker 6: Now that's this morning. Last night, former President Trump was out campaigning for the first time since since Biden stepped down, and he actually decided, were they the speech writers, let's take shots of Kamala Harris. So this is just an idea of what we know the campaign is going to look like from the Trump side, I was.
Speaker 1: Supposed to be nice.
Speaker 4: If you don't mind, I'm not going to be nice.
Speaker 7: Kamala Harris wants to be the president for savage criminals, illegal aliens. She's committed crimes I'm the prosecutor and he's the convicted fellow.
Speaker 5: She couldn't pass a bar exam.
Speaker 9: She's totally against the Jewish people. She is a radical left lunatic who will destroy our country. Kamala, you've done a terrible job. You've been terrible at everything you've done. You're ultra liberal, and we don't want you here.
Speaker 5: We don't want you any where. Kamala, you a fight.
Speaker 1: He also said she wants abortions in the eighth and ninth month of pregnancy. That's fine with her, right up until birth and even after birth, the execution of a baby.
Speaker 3: That is obviously not true and false.
Speaker 6: Those are obviously are those are easily disputed claims.
Speaker 1: He also said Kamala wants to pass laws to outlaw red meat. I mean, he's just saying whatever comes to mind with no math to be shown. But again, that's not winning over any independence. There's nobody in his audience who's going to go like this.
Speaker 5: I wonder if that's true.
Speaker 6: I wonder if I did any amount of work or looking or finding out about Kamala Harris's positions, that I would see that those are not true.
Speaker 1: Ready for your jeopardy question. Comedy on TV for four hundred. The parents of Stan and Kyle on this show are named after the parents of their creators, Trey and Matt.
Speaker 3: What is South park Ing Ding?
Speaker 4: It was easy?
Speaker 3: Come on, well, it is time to talk to our friend Mark Saltzman.
Speaker 4: The machines are getting smarter. This is tech Talk, brought to you my Skynet.
Speaker 1: I love my meditation apps. Gary and I do not agree on our love for these, but I use I use it most nights to go to sleep.
Speaker 5: And now more than ever, I bet Yeah.
Speaker 10: Right, tense times shooting around? Yeah, you know, if you can find little moments of zen throughout the day or at night when you're trying to unwind and clear your head of all the nonsense that's up there, why not.
Speaker 4: Yeah. There's a lot of apps.
Speaker 10: That I wrote about for AARP that are free or at least free to start. We call those freemium apps, so you get some content for free, but then if you want to subscribe in it, that unlocks everything else. And then there are a couple of completely free one as well, but you kind of get what you're paying for.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which one do you use?
Speaker 3: Shan if you want to, I use Calm.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: COM's one of the biggest for sure. And here's a little hack. If you have a smart speaker, you don't even have to sign up for an account. You can just say to your smart speaker the wake word to summon your favorite virtual assistant, and then say open Calm and it will then guide you through a meditative session.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, Yeah that's cool.
Speaker 10: Yeah, without even needing to sign up. But the app and the website obviously have a lot more content, some video, but it's mostly, as you know, audio based, so you can close your eyes and just find your inner piece.
Speaker 3: And I like the Daily j as well.
Speaker 4: I don't know that one, the Daily Well.
Speaker 3: It's on the Calm app.
Speaker 4: Oh I see.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, there's tons of sections within each one. Yeah, one hundred percent. You can select for all of these like Calm, Headspace, Simple Habit, those are some of the biggest ones. Ten percent happier. For all of these ones. You can select what you want to work on, like, you know, is it destressing, is it better self image? Is it relationship management?
Speaker 4: Is it sleep?
Speaker 10: Like You're just an insomniac and you need more than just white noise.
Speaker 4: So you can.
Speaker 10: Select what you want and then they pair you with a virtual instructor.
Speaker 5: It's usually pre recorded.
Speaker 10: And yeah, with soothing sounds like crashing waves or thunderstorms on a you know, tin roof or whatever.
Speaker 4: There's great stuff.
Speaker 10: And then yeah, find one that works for you. Don't pay until you need to, if at all, is my tip, because there's a lot of free content.
Speaker 4: One of the more underrated ones for.
Speaker 10: Sleep is called Better Sleep is actually a really good one. It used to be called Relaxed Melodies, but they change their name to Better Sleep.
Speaker 5: One word, that's the one I have.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 10: Works with iPhone and Android, all of these that we've been chatting about today, and some have websites as well. Also, keep in mind YouTube has lots of in fact thousands of mindful this and meditation videos and some other free ones.
Speaker 4: So yeah, if you.
Speaker 10: Google AARP and my name Mark Saltzman, mark with a C, and you'll find you'll find this article that was published on July twenty second.
Speaker 6: And do you, I don't know, do either of you like to listen to people talking to you while you're sleeping? Because yes, we've actually been promoting one. A podcast by t D Jake's well known pastor very deep resonant voice where he's reading stories. But yeah, but that's like to calm you and put you to sleep, right right. I don't think I could do that with someone talking to me on that. I mean, I'll do noises.
Speaker 1: Well, sometimes they start with talking and then they just bring up the music and then wonderful.
Speaker 10: Yeah, my wife Kelly and I we listened to old radio dramas. I think we've talked about this on the set before.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Ironically, even though I'm a techie and I'm.
Speaker 10: A futurist, I collect and listen to old radio shows from like the forties and fifties.
Speaker 3: I like the Mystery Theater.
Speaker 10: Yeah, CBS Radio Mystery. That was a good one, those from the seventies. But the ones that yeah, and those are obviously more contemporary and not as dated, you know, like the Irish Cop It was in every episode of the nineteen forties ones, you know.
Speaker 4: But no, but it was. They're great.
Speaker 10: They're plays, not audiobooks, so there's like sound effects and there's different actors, and they could have an opposite effect. If you really get into the story, then it's going to stimulate you rather than relax you. But it's kind of like, you know, white noise from my wife. She just we put it on its youse out.
Speaker 4: But I listened to.
Speaker 10: Them with the lights off, and I find they're really great. A lot of them have with did the test of time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're talking also, and I know we've done this segment before, families that use AI to preserve memories of people after death.
Speaker 5: I get a little worried about this.
Speaker 6: I mean, we've both here experienced loss in the last couple of years of parents and that's not I miss mom. But I don't want to speak to a robot version of them night. That would not assuage, that would not appease me, and would not assuage any feelings I have.
Speaker 1: And also I know what my dad would say in every situation by now.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and sometimes it's better to just hold on to that memory. But yeah, you know, I'm not judging anyone because you know gosh. And again, speak of my wife Kelly. She lost her mom a few years ago, and you know, not a Dave goes by it.
Speaker 4: She doesn't think or say out loud.
Speaker 10: Oh, I wish I could have told her this or hear her voice or her laugh, and you know, there's some videos you can go back to and all that. But so we're seeing a new crop of technology, including AI powered chat bots, that is meant to comfort those who are missing their late loved ones. And yes, it's some finding creepy.
Speaker 4: It's maybe a black mirror episode.
Speaker 10: But there are companies like one called you Only Virtual, where you upload videos of the person and they speak, or if they're already gone, then you can upload snippets of them talking and it will then combined with artificial intelligence, let you converse with them, and you can upload things like stories and inside jokes, so it feels like you're chatting with them. So there's a lot if you if you google this company, You Only.
Speaker 5: Virtual is what they're called.
Speaker 10: Still early days, but yeah, it's it's a little it's some might say it's creepy.
Speaker 4: It creates what's called a.
Speaker 10: Verse sona, so a virtual persona by uploading this info, and you know, there's other things you can do. I speaking of arp I wrote about also a couple of weeks ago an article on your digital legacy and and what you can leave to your loved ones after you go.
Speaker 4: And I don't just mean your estate and all that, but you can.
Speaker 10: There are services that will let you send messages to your loved ones after you're gone on important dates or you know, you leave it to someone who's gonna handle this for you, but you know, or it could just be right after you go. So there's one called Eternal Applications about fifty dollars for one messages with up to ten recipients.
Speaker 3: Creepy.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then there's other companies.
Speaker 10: Yeah, there's one called My Wishes, another one called Gone Not Gone, and that lets you said messages.
Speaker 3: I'm not gone.
Speaker 5: I know he's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to do this for you.
Speaker 1: Gary no yea when I leave you, when I shuffle off, so that Gary is so that I can give you messages every day.
Speaker 10: It's it's going to be twenty one seventy and the Gary and Shannon Show is still gonna be on.
Speaker 4: KF I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh lah.
Speaker 5: Great. Thank you Mark, always a great time. Likewise, thank you Mark Saltzman.
Speaker 4: There.
Speaker 6: Make sure you follow Mark because you'll see not only these types of articles, but other great tech tips of the day. You can follow them on on x at m r C. Underscore Saltsman with.
Speaker 1: A Z Michael says that you're gone, not gone. Messages from me will be Google, Google, and chomp.
Speaker 3: Chomp, they will not you think of me, Well, I only have is that my substance.
Speaker 5: That's the only one I have. I am, I don't have any others.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I guess I.
Speaker 3: Let's let's not be hurtful. Chomp, chomp chomp. Hello, Okay, we're not doing the same one.
Speaker 2: Gary, garya that homeless person that says that pirates stole his pancakes.
Speaker 1: That's a lie because we all know that pirate's favorite meal is car.
Speaker 5: That would have been funny had he said that.
Speaker 6: Had the homeless guy said that, I would have I would have laughed.
Speaker 10: Hi, Gary and Shannon, It's not just crazy people and people on drugs.
Speaker 1: Please don't use my voice for this.
Speaker 5: Oh I won't. I didn't hear that part.
Speaker 3: You should screen these.
Speaker 5: I will say.
Speaker 6: She said that she does have a pretty good paying job and happens to live out of her vehicle.
Speaker 5: So there are listen there. I'm not saying there are not people.
Speaker 6: Yes, there are clearly people who cannot afford homes, who are in situations where they have to live in either with ten other people, or live in their car or something like that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes people choose to live in their vehicles.
Speaker 1: But when I went to that camping trip where I had to live off the land, there was one of the campsite hosts Dean, No, Dane was his name, and Dane lived in his car.
Speaker 5: So that's the guy that ended up traveling with the other members.
Speaker 1: Of the That's the guy that ended up being adopted by a newly single woman Indiana. I think last I checked, all right, So a growing number of women are seeking AI boyfriends. They're flipping the stereotype of undersocialized men chatting with AI girlfriends and their parents' basement.
Speaker 5: Ladies.
Speaker 1: Eight apps have made their twenty twenty four debut on the firm's list of the top one hundred AI consumer apps.
Speaker 6: I guess it's just a matter of women finding equality with men, because men have been doing this for years.
Speaker 5: In different things.
Speaker 3: That women are kind of fed up with your everyday man.
Speaker 6: Okay, you don't have to look right at me when you say it like that, but I get it.
Speaker 5: I understand.
Speaker 6: But how could if you had a friend who was doing this, how you would have to step in?
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Who's going to broadcast this if they have an AI boyfriend. I don't know who's going to say admit that in public?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 6: If there are things that you're doing in private that you don't want your friends to know about, I'm sure we all have something, But wouldn't that be one of those things that would should cause some self reflection Like, no, I'm not hiding this is what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: We all have it now. I'm thinking you're hiding some for clivity.
Speaker 6: These apps like Replica and Nomi, shouldn't there be a moment in them, kind of like a Nintendo Wii where you play the game long enough and it asks you, Hey.
Speaker 5: Don't you want to go outside.
Speaker 6: At a while?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 3: What the hell do you think you're doing?
Speaker 6: Maybe maybe stop talking to me and call an actual friend.
Speaker 1: And maybe go meet somebody.
Speaker 6: Yeah again, I totally understand the idea that women are looking for alternatives to the things that we provide.
Speaker 5: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 6: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,