Speaker 1: It's Night's eye, Dan Ray. I'm telling you eazy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Madison. As we head through a warm Thursday night, it has been a very warm Thursday, and an equally warm Thursday night. Wherever you are, I hope that the windows are open, the breeze is blown, or the air conditioning is working one or the other. My name is Dan Ray and the host of Nightside heard every Monday through Friday night, whether it be cool nights in the winter or hot nights in their late spring early summer, right here on WBZ, Boston's News Radio ten thirty and your AM dial. Remind you to get the WBZ the iHeart new and improved app. Just pull it down, put it on whatever device you like, Make us your first preset, so that WBZ will never be more than a fingerprint away, just a finger touch away, wherever you are, anywhere in the world. We have a great show coming up tonight, going to talk a lot about some things the President has done in the last twenty four hours, including attempted to bar foreign students from being accepted Harvard University, as well as reinstating a US travel band about various countries around. We'll talk about that later after nine o'clock. We have four interesting guests here tonight. Back in the control room is Rob Brooks along with his top deputy assistant, Shane, and we're ready to rock and roll here. We want to start off with a great friend of the program who we are going to have on more regularly. I'm not exactly sure if we had this schedule all worked out, but Emily Sweeney from the Boston Globe. She does a program at the Globe. It's called Cold Case Files. She's also the Blotter Tales columnist. Hi, Emily Sweeney, Welcome back to Night's Side.
Speaker 3: Hey Dan, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: I'm going about seventy eight RPM here because we got so much to cover, but I want to slow it down here and talk about a case you have been working on that deals with the disappearance of a bright mom right by what was the old Boston Garden right down downtown Boston near Canal Street. Disappeared in nineteen seventy five along with her car, and now her son, who lives in Pennsylvania, is offering a fifty thousand dollars reward for any information. He has no hope of finding his mom alive, but he just wants to provide her with a decent burial. This is a heartbreaking story, Emily tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is a really important case too. Dorothy Garashko was going out to meet some friends for drinks at the Old Penalty Box on June fourth, nineteen seventy five, and that was the last place that known sighting of where she was. She was seen walking out of the bar, leaving her friends, walking towards her car and disappeared, vanished without a trace in her car too. And to this day she's not been found, but there have been so efforts, and actually there are search efforts underway. I learned of a new development today where there's a possibility that her car might be in the Charles River. We don't know, but I spoke with Hans Huge. He's a he runs a company called Sona Searching Recovery up in New Hampshire, and he ran Sona on the Charles River and he found five cars that he's going to be diving to see if maybe, just maybe one of them is Dorothy's car.
Speaker 2: Wow, it's amazing to think that a car could be put into the Charles river. And I don't know the depth of the Charles River. Obviously we all have seen the sailboats on the river and other watercraft, but I assume that Charles River is not that deep, particularly near near the shoreline. I mean, how do you see there's really no bridges you can drive a car off. When you think about it, this, yeah, well, I'm wondering if if with license plates, assuming the license plate wasn't removed, but you have to wonder if fifty years underwater oxidation would not have destroyed whatever enumeration might be on a license plate. Have you talked to him about any of that aspect. I hate to throw this at your gold because we don't know these Those are the thoughts that are running through my mind right now.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, Dan, and I asked Hans the same thing. You know, so he knows the five cars that would may have been on the route that Dorothy may have you know, taken or you know, maybe somebody who you know did something bad to her, may have taken her and her cap uh. And you know the Childs River, you know, the cas are in different like you know, have been decomposed over the years. And Hans says like it's really had compared to like diving in the Charles River sometimes so like diving in chocolate milk and here trying to like see as you can imagine, and so the conditions change a lot from time to time. And the thing is about license plates, he said that usually they survived that like they're made of material aluminum that can you survive, you know, years and years underwater. So a license plate could be a way to identify because or could be a hood or ornaments, it could be any number of things, like just to rule it out, so you know that that's what we're you know, we're hoping for.
Speaker 2: And it's astonishing about the stories that you find out about and you get involved with various police departments. We always assume that on crimes like that there's a solution, but often there isn't. And yeah, because the story, the story will be a big story for a few days depending upon the story. Uh, and then maybe a month later someone does a follow up story and then it's lost to the to antiquity. And to think that this man in I guess he lost his mom. Was he fourteen years old? Is that? Yeah?
Speaker 3: He was Rick Dorothy's son, was just fourteen when she went missing.
Speaker 2: And we're f fifty years later, right, this is fifty years from nineteen seventy five. Yeah, he's sixty four. I has to have left an indelible mark on his life. Did he have siblings, do you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, two other brothers, and you know it's very difficult, you know for them, I mean again, and they still don't have answers. I mean just think, you know, one day your mom's there, the next day she's not, and you have no answers as to like, what happened to her? Is she coming home? Meanwhile, you still have to continue going to school, and you know it was obviously it changed their lives, you know, forever, and to this day they're still wondering. And that's why the family's offering a fifty thou read all the reward for any information that could lead to the recovery of you know, her remains and the vehicle she was driving, just to get it out. There was a gold nineteen seventy nineteen seventy Ford Maverick with a black roof. And again, you know, they're hoping that somebody might have information, somebody might have seen something. And yeah, so trying.
Speaker 2: When I think of this. We're so fortunate to have you work these cases and report them to us. But when you think about this, she had to have had friends. I'm sure the police must have investigated. I'm sure there might have been suspects. But all of that obviously gets boxed up in a nice little file cabinet somewhere and gets put away and is not looked at for decades, and now hopefully maybe some leave will get this going. Obviously she's not alive, I'm sure, but you talk about closure, I'm sure that family wants to know what happened to their mom on that night fifty years ago in which she probably lost her life. Emily, thanks so much. These stories, to me are fascinating. I covered crime, not to the level that you have, but I covered crime as a reporter, and there are police out there. They want to solve these cases, they really do. And you would even think that if somebody did this, you hope that there's a deathbed confession. You think about things like that. You know, they get someone really going to die and not you know, say, you know on their last breath. Look here's what I did. I regretted it for the rest of my life. I don't know. Humanity is a very complex area to investigate, but you do it so well. Emily. As always, thanks so much, thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you, thank you, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks sticking with this and we'll talk to you soon. Thanks Emily.
Speaker 4: Oh all right, we get back.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about a high school high schooler from Belmont who has developed a senior outreach collaborator high school. This isn't for seniors in high school. This is to help seniors, people of a certain vintage, to help them adapt to the world of technology. We will be talking with Libby Zuccarello right after the break and should her family be proud of her? Where do you hear this story?
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Madison, We of course are now we're in summer. Okay. We went from spring last weekend or late winter, whatever you want to call it, this summer in a matter of about seventy two hours. And it couldn't be more appropriate for us to bring back Mark on Anastasio, who's the coolest. Corner Theater director of Programming. They have announced their summer twenty twenty five outdoor screening lineup, And as I look at it, Mark, not only are there some great movies here, but they're going to be shown in different locations. How many years now have you been doing this outdoor screening lineup? I think, if I'm not mistaken, we talked to you guys about this year ago, did we not.
Speaker 4: That's right, Dan, We've been doing outdoor screenings at a few of these locations for going on ten years now, and they're pretty remarkable places like the Rose Kennedy Greenway, the Charles Rivers Speedway here in Austin, Brighton Mount Auburn Cemetery, and the Rocky Woods, which is one of the locations of the Trustees of Reservations. And each each location we really try to, you know, play play films that kind of that kind of bring out where where we're at. It's it's a lot of fun. And each each place, you know, presents a new challenge to to our projection team, and it's a lot. It's it's a great time.
Speaker 2: So you start not this Friday night, but eight nights from now on Friday the thirteenth, how appropriate? And you yeah, you have a Friday the thirteenth double feature.
Speaker 4: That's right, this is. This is probably our tenth or eleventh year of running a Friday the thirteenth double feature out at the Rocky Woods with the trustees. It's it's a site that we visited. They called us out to it a decade ago and said, we'd like you to take a look at this property and let us know if you can think of any good films that you'd like to put on here. And it is. It's a lakeside property with a cabin on the lake. And the minute I set foot on it, I said, you know, would you be opposed to us playing a couple of horror movies out here because the location itself, it makes you feel like you're in one of the Friday the Thirteenth movies. And luckily they were game for that, and we've Yeah, it's a decade plus us celebrating. Help me celebrating out there.
Speaker 2: I don't know everything. Where is Rocky Woods? Where is it located?
Speaker 4: Rocky the Rocky Sure, the Rocky Woods is in Medfield, Massachusetts. Oh, I know, Okay, Yeah, it's a it's a great it's a great area. It's on Hartford Street in Medfield. It's it is a little tricky you're gonna have to plug it into your GPS in order to get there. And the the screening location itself is set a little ways up up a road from the parking lot, but we make sure to put lots of spooky lanterns out to light the way, to sort of set the mood as people approach the cabin and where the screen and the projector are set up. And for these Friday the thirteenth shows, we even we even hire an actor to dress up as Jason Vorhees to to scare people as they're they're coming on to the property.
Speaker 2: Let's do this. I want to just give people a sense of it. So that's Friday the thirteenth, And obviously they can go to the website, which is like the Coolidge dot org slash type slash outdoor hype and screenies. We'll give that again.
Speaker 4: But yeah, no, well they we can. We we can shorten it. If you just do Coolidge dot org slash outdoor, it'll take you there, perfect, Okay.
Speaker 2: So then the following Wednesday, you're doing one of the Charles River Speedway. I don't want to sound like a knuckle ahead, but what is the Charles River Speedway?
Speaker 4: The Charles River Speedway is a great uh, it's a great revitalized set of buildings. It's it's it's an old racetrack from the late eighteen hundreds and for years it kind of sat vacant. But in the last five years or so the property was redone and now there are all sorts of shops and restaurants and and a wonderful beer garden run by the folks at Notch Brewery, and it's it's a great place for people in the neighborhood to hang out and get us.
Speaker 2: Is that is that on on Western Avenue.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's right on Western Avenue, right right by the river.
Speaker 2: It's right behind well, it's right behind the old WBZ. Well what for me was the old buildings exactly where Henry's Diner used to.
Speaker 4: Be, right, That's that's exactly right.
Speaker 2: Okay, now, okay, I never knew it as Charles Rivers speed Well. You're gonna uh, you're gonna show good Burger there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we're showing we show good We're showing good Burger on Wednesday. These are films. The films that we play at the Speedway are movies that kind of fit into our our rewind program that we usually host here at the theater. These are these are films that people in their twenties and thirties are nostalgic for, you know, movies that came out anywhere from like the mid nineties. You know, there's some eighties films of mid nineties through the early opts. Is like the Wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: So they get to a couple more of these here. We got a blade Runner on the week later, June twenty fifth at sunset, and that is at the Rose Kennedy Greenway. Everyone knows where the Rose Kennedy Greenway is downtown, followed by point break again. This is Wednesday, July sixteenth at sunset. Okay, Then July twenty third, at sunset, you go back to the Charles River Speedway on Western Avenue for mean Girls. It's just perfect. And then we're gonna really get a little retro here, and we're gonna go and watch the Blob from nineteen eighty eight August thirteenth on the Greenway. And then we got Twin Peaks fire Walk with Me August twentieth at the Charles River Speedway. We're getting a lot of Charles River Speedways here.
Speaker 4: And then yeah, the monthly.
Speaker 2: Here's one Cemetery Cinema, The Sweet Hereafter and The Gates of Heaven, The Coolest Returns Little Spooky to the Mount Auburn Cemetery twenty sixth.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the Mount Auburn we've done. We took a little bit of a hiatus. There was like a five year break with us putting on the Cemetery Cinema program. But there they're a location that we love showing films at and they are open to showing films that are about grief, that are about reflections on death. Last year's program was maybe a little bit more fun. We screened ingmar Bergman's The Seventh Seal and Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, both films that feature, you know, personified representations of death. But this year we've got we've got a new restoration. No, no, it's well, the Bill and Ted film is a comedy, but you know, we're starting this program for Sweet here After, followed by Gates of Heaven. Sweet Hereafter is definitely a somber film that deals with grief and it's an excellent film. And then we're going to lighten things up by playing Errol Morris's Gates a heaven. Aer Morris a filmmaker from Cambridge, incredible documentarian. He's allowing us to screen his first film, Gates of Heaven, which is a film about a pet cemetery needing to be moved. But it is. It's it's filled with so many wonderful characters reflecting on you know, how they'd like to have a place to grieve the loss of their past. It doesn't sound like something that would be heartwarming, but it really is.
Speaker 2: And it should.
Speaker 4: It should, it should lighten the mood playing second in the program. But the cemetery is such a gorgeous location and there's not a lot of folks that are allowed to do things there after dark. So this is a really unique opportunity for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, And then then we're going to finish up. We got two more, both going to be at the Charles River Speedway on Western Avenue across from where Henry's Diner used to be. Teen Age Ninja Turtles a favorite of my son back when he was about three years old for several years. And then that is September seventeenth, and on Wednesday, October fifteenth, I Know what you did last summer. That's also at the Charles River Speedway. So it looks to me like everything at the Childs River Speedway is Wednesdays. A lot of these are middle of the week. There's none that I can see that any of them are on the only Friday the thirteenth. Others it's the middle of the week, which means it's great you can go and have a lot of fun and enjoy movies. I'm going to ask the tough question, are these free? Are they these? Are these free movies or is there most of them?
Speaker 4: Let's see, there are charges for the Friday the thirteenth program and for the program at Mount Auburn Cemetery. Those are ticketed streams, but everything else we've talked about is completely free.
Speaker 2: And let's have the website one more time, the most important part of our conversation. We've had a lot of fun telling people what they are going to see, How can they make sure they get there? What is the website?
Speaker 4: They can just go to coolidge dot org, slash Outdoors perfect.
Speaker 2: And we are exactly finished, almost to the second of where where we were supposed to finish. And we got a lot in, which is great. We got a lot in. Thank you so much, Dan Oh my pleasure. You guys are great, great Coolidge Corner Theater. Unbelievable asset to our region. And Mark Anastasio, thanks so much, the director of programming at the Coolidge Corner Theater. We will talk to her again. Thanks, my friend. Have a great night. Think I lost him there? Did we lose them? I guess we did. Okay. Tomorrow is one of those days should be on your calendar. It's National Donut Day, and we're going to celebrate it in advance. No, we can't give you any donuts over the radio. No, that's not possible. However, the Salvation Army of Massachusetts we'll be delivering donuts to police, fire and veterans across the state. Lucky people on Friday, June sixth, which of course is also also the anniversary of the D Day invasion from nineteen forty four. So we're gonna be talking with Captain Bree Barker of the Salvation Army in Cambridge, and we're going to talk about National Donut Day. For me, every day is National don't Day. I only get it coming back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well, as they mentioned earlier, tomorrow is the day that is marked on my calendar every year, one of the great holidays in America, National Donut Day. It also happens to be on the anniversary of the D Day Invasion. And no, the D Day Invasion was not named for the for the word donut day at all. Let's let's first of all eliminate that with me. Is Captain Bree Barker. She's with the Salvation Army in Cambridge and you, Captain Barker, welcome to Nightside. First of all, how are you tonight?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great. I'm trying to stay cool.
Speaker 2: It really is, isn't it. Yeah, it's it was a hot.
Speaker 5: Day to day and you guys, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: You got a big job in front of you tomorrow. Now, look, we've never talked before as far as I'm as far as I know, correct.
Speaker 4: Correct, yep, okay, And I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to be impertinent because I have to ask you a very awkward question, even though this is a conversation. What's your favorite donut? Oh?
Speaker 5: My favorite donut. It's hard to pick just one, but I love a blueberry donut.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's excellent. I'm a glaze stick guy from duncan myself, and I'm not even sure if a glaze stick qualifies as a donut.
Speaker 5: So I might you know what, We're open to all kinds of donuts.
Speaker 2: Well I am as well. Trust me this never I've never really had a donut that I didn't like. So tell us about is this an annual effort by the Salvation Army and is it being done justin Cambridge? You're across the commonwealth. Tell us the extent of this effort.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this has been going on since nineteen thirty eight, when the Salvation Nowmy established National Old Donut Day. And so it doesn't just happen in Cambridge, Boston or Massachusetts. That happens all over the nation. And so we are excited to celebrate the donut I mean every day, but specifically on Donut Day.
Speaker 2: Okay, So for example, now give us an idea about how many different locations will the Salvation Army in Cambridge cover tomorrow. You've got fire stations, police stations. I know that firefighters and police officers and people joke about it, but the reason that they love donuts is because you know they never know where they're going to be called into action. When you get a chance to have a cup of coffee and a donut, particularly in the winter time. You can't say no. I mean I found that out many Yeah, you.
Speaker 5: Know, it's very true.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So we are delivering donuts all over tomorrow, but also we are doing programs with the children that are in our place, our daycare for children experiencing homelessness. We're doing donuts and our men to drop in shelter. In fact, for those that are going to be in the Dorchester area, the Boston Croc, the Salvation Army is Boston Kroc will be doing a drive through starting at nine am. So get your free donuts, get your sugar fixed for the day.
Speaker 2: Where do you do that? I mean, I'm not going to go over there myself, but where's that location for people?
Speaker 5: Yeah, give it to us again it is sure. It's six point fifty Dudley Street in Dorchester. So that's the Salvation Army's Boston Croc center. And so starting at nine am, they'll be doing a drive through and then also delivering around town with our Emergency Disasters vehicle, so area police area fire stations. You know, we want to make sure everyone has access to a sweet treat tomorrow.
Speaker 2: So here's the question, how many donuts And I hate to quantify this, but how many hundreds or thousands of donuts do you think the Salvation Army will be delivered tomorrow in honor of National Donant Day?
Speaker 5: You know, if I could, yeah, if I could count the grains of sand, you know, I think it might come close. Thousands and thousands across not just Massachusetts but the US. And in fact, the Donut Lassies that were kind of celebrating as well tomorrow, they made up to nine thousand doughnuts a day to serve to the troops in World War One. So we're hoping to at least, you know, come close to their efforts.
Speaker 2: So who's the group that you said that used to produce nine thousand donuts a day? What was the group's name?
Speaker 5: So, the Donut Lassies, they were young women who went to World War One as volunteers. They were the Salvation Army War Service, and they were sent with the direction to lift the spirits of the men overseas. And they realized pretty quickly that one good way to lift a man's spirit is through his stomach. And so they made these donuts sweet treats and they served up to nine thousand. They were boiling them in some instances in an old unused soldiers metal helmets, you know, with basic ingredients. But the men would line up because it just brought this sweet treat from home and it just helped them there to feel loved and careful.
Speaker 2: Well, that's probably where the phrase an army travels on its stomach arose.
Speaker 4: From, because it could be right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what'd you call him? The laffies l A F f e ys?
Speaker 4: Was that? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I ees donut lassies Laffi's.
Speaker 2: Okay, I like that. It almost sounds like that might have been a British term. Or am I imagining things?
Speaker 5: I would say, so misamisnami started in England in eighteen sixty five, and so I think some of those words are transferred over.
Speaker 2: Oh. Absolutely, see, now we're getting a little bit of the history. I did not realize to be I thought I knew a lot about the Salvation Army. But it started in England, jolly olding in eighteen sixty five. And when did it emigrate across the pond.
Speaker 5: As we would say, you know, fairly quickly in the grand scheme of things. In eighteen eighty the Salvation Namy officially landed in New York at Battery Park, but just a few years earlier, actually, I sixteen year old girl immigrated here and she kind of started the Salvation Army by herself and did such a great job that General Booth said, all right, well, I'm sending a troop over to get the work officially started in the United States.
Speaker 2: Well that's great, that's great. And how long Captain Barker, have you been a member of the Salvation Army.
Speaker 5: I have been working, volunteering and a member of the Salvation Army for twenty years. This year this is my anniversary.
Speaker 2: So you're despite the fact that you're obviously an officer, you work as a volunteer. Well, thank you for your service, especially science, it's a volunteer service. What sort of career work do you do? If I could ask it. Don't mean to pry or anything like that, but I thought that most of the folks who we talked to from the Salvation Army of people who were employed by the Salvation Army. What sort of work do you do outside of your volunteer work for the Salvation Army.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I am an employee of a salvash Namy. I'm an officer, which means that I am a pastor but also a director of a local location. So for me, that's Cambridge. I would actually say, you know, my other hat probably would be donut connoisseur. But by my main role, yes, is working with a savage nummier. But I started as a volunteer and just you know, fell in love with the mission and love to just serve others and to help people.
Speaker 2: Right and well, Will said, I misunderstood, So I just wanted to be clear on that. And I think that the second responsibility of a donut connoisseur. If when I served in the military, I was called a thirty six K twenty, I think that's what was my mos. I would have wish there had been a donut connoisseur back in the day. I would have been qualified for that, even at an early age. Captain Bribon, thank you so much. Great to chat with you and enjoy the day tomorrow and all that it brings. I hope you have great weather. I hope it cools off a little bit as well. Thanks so much.
Speaker 5: Thank you, thank you for what you.
Speaker 2: And the Salvation Army do. It's a great organization.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 4: We love what we do.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Talk to you soon. All right, we get back on the other side. We're going to get to the to the issues at hand, and we're going to start off with the president's proclamation barring foreign students from attending Harvard University. I think he's way over the line on this. Some of you will agree, some of you will disagree. Let's get the conversation started right after the nine o'clock news