Speaker 1: It's night with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Boston Radio talking about the hearings in Washington, d C. Today. There was there were some fireworks. I don't think much progress was made. I don't think any minds were changed, but yeah, it was. It was an interesting morning. We watched it a lot. There was a very interesting exchange between UH Mayor WO and Florida Congressman Byron Donald's UH he's running for governor of Florida. UH. And this is a cut number forty three, Please.
Speaker 2: Rob Mayor WU in the City of Boston, how much did you spend We don't.
Speaker 3: Ask about immigration status and delivering city.
Speaker 2: You don't ask about how much money the City of Boston has spent on illegal immigration out of.
Speaker 3: Yours between immigration status.
Speaker 2: Do you manage your budget or not?
Speaker 1: Mayor?
Speaker 3: That is how we keep Do you manage the numbers to prove it? I manage my budget. I have a triple A bond writing Dainty back ten.
Speaker 2: Years old to the City of Boston. Just under stand that your mayor does not care how much of your resources she has spends on people who are not citizens.
Speaker 1: The City of bos Boston. A lot of it went like that. Later on during the day. Just to give you a sense of it. Let's go to phone see what people think. Jim and Woolburn. Jim, I appreciate you holding through the news. You're next one night Sager right ahead.
Speaker 4: First time, carl Ora, Jam you will to.
Speaker 1: How long you how long you've been listening down there in pa Oh I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I looked at the one but below you is Pennsylvania. So you've been listening to the show for a while.
Speaker 4: I hope, Oh yeah, I have. You were talking about planes a couple of weeks ago, and this's happened in nineteen forty six, and I don't think you're heard of it. It's transolution Turkey. It was a P two V Neptune and it's foll from Perth, Australia to Columbus, Ohio, not stop. It was in the air for fifty five hours and they had in order to go to Washington, DC that they had to stop. And todder Weather, well, they can take that close.
Speaker 1: How does that relate to what we're talking about today.
Speaker 4: Or it doesn't. I just wanted to.
Speaker 1: Well, it's very interesting information, and Jim, I appreciate it. And next time you call, maybe we'll get you to call in and talk about what's on the agenda today and maybe somenight we'll do a more specialized program on on early airline traffic. Okay, thank you much.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, thank you, thanks.
Speaker 1: You appreciate it. Okay, Bill is in Pennsylvania. Fill welcome. How are you.
Speaker 5: I'm knowing good Dan. I'm listening to all this followers and some of them are making a lot of a lot of sense. But I's got to remind everybody, all four of those sanctuary city mayors that were there today, there's not one of them. I'm over here in Pennsylvania and I have my uh permit to carry, and uh, I get to remind everybody the Second Amendment is in the is part of the Constitution. But in all four of those cities, Okay, if I was to go there with my with my uh my pistol and my permit to carry, Okay, they would immediately throw me in jail. And that's the point that people are forgetting that these these mayors uh can do whatever they want to as far as the illegals, but in the end, they don't they don't honor the Constitution at all.
Speaker 1: Well, I would think that the Privileges and Immunities Clause is something that the gun lobby should get behind, so that if let us say you were licensed to carry legally in the great state of Pennsylvania, that we would recognize Pennsylvania's licensure. To you, folks, that just seems to me to be something. You're a citizen of the United States. You happen to live in Pennsylvania, and I would think that under the Privileges and Immunities Clause that you would have the right to come into the state of Massachusetts and as long as you're complying with whatever the law in Pennsylvania requires as a Pennsylvania citizen, that right, those rights would be expected, it would be respected in other states. But yeah, that's you know. I mean again, what happened today was Mayor Wu actually when she was pressed on some questions, and again she was well prepared for this. I want to make make it very clear to people that I'm not here taking cheap shots at Mayor Wu. But when she was pressed for this, she would often go back to her arguments, Well, let me play this is he's being pressed here by a cognisman from Arizona who's very conservative right wing guy named Paul Gossar. I think he's actually a doctor. If I'm not mistaken. This is cut number forty. Rob. I want to get Bill's response to this, because I think it's on the point that he's making cut number forty. We're the ones that we just heard we want a comprehension immigration policy. How can you get a comprehensive immigration policy when you're defying it from the very goot go, you're building it on false premises and false tenants.
Speaker 3: Respectfully, Congressman, you could pass bipartisan legislation and that would be comprehensive immigration law. False narrative is that immigrants in general are criminals, or immigrants in general cause all sorts of danger and harm. That is actually what is undermining safety in our communities. If you wanted to make us safe, pass gun reform, stop cutting medicaid, stop cutting cancer research, stop cutting funds for veterans, that is what will make our city safe.
Speaker 1: So that was that was, you know, programmed in her mind that whenever she's get challenged and gets uncomfortable, go there. And right at the top was past gun reform. Now, there's a lot of cities that have the toughest gun laws in the country, and they are the most dangerous cities in the country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, Chicago, I know what you're talking about, Dan, but the the you know, you you got to protect yourself these days, and and where I'm at, you know, for me to get a even a sheriff out here, I'm kind of out in the sticks a little bit. But even the state police, I cannot. I can not get anybody to respond out where I live for maybe thirty minutes, all right, And this is one reason why I would be a little bit leery of coming to places like Austin or New York or Chicago, because I just don't feel safe. And uh, I got I got I carry because of past experiences and also, uh, you know, to protect my family mostly not my I don't really myself.
Speaker 1: You're right, I'm going to get an argument for me on that. As I say, there are some people who will argue that the Second Amendment is is only a right for the military to to to have weapons, which I think is ridiculous because there's language there about a well armed militia. But yeah, again, as I say, that's a little off topic of what we're talking about tonight. She makes the point, uh that about crime, that that somehow people on your side of the fence, or maybe on my side of the fence, who want to tighten up the border as it's been tightened up, but also make it we could we could naturalize two million people or three million people a year, well, naturalize less than a million of people, about eight hundred and fifty thousand. But I want them to go through the process of naturalization. I want them to come here. I want to know who they are, what skills they bring with you've heard my speech on that. She sets it up like, no, you people, you think that the criminals, that aliens make the country more dangerous. They make the country more dangerous because if they weren't here, the crime that would not have been committed because of their very absence from here would not occur. Of course, they make the country more dangerous, you know, But somehow they want to turn it around like somehow we hate we hate illegal I love immigrants. I just like legal immigrants. They're the best citizens in the country. Illegal immigrants you kind of start off on the bad for on a bad foot, you know what I mean. If you got a neighbor next door to you, and someday the guy comes to your door and rings your bell or knocks in the back door and is hey, Bill just moved into the neighborhood, came over and introduce myself. How are you today? Perfect if on the other hand, all of a sudden, you walk in the kitchen and you see some guy who you've never seen before. Hopefully you won't shoot him. Uh, and you say, who the hell are you? He well, I live next door and I was just coming over to get a beer out of your refriserator. It's a lot of different first you know, what do they say, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.
Speaker 5: Well, these these these Democrats have been asking ever since the election, Dan, what's wrong? What's wrong with our party? Well, you got people, you get those four people there on that on that hearing today, and uh, you know, just keep just keep them out in front, because you'll you'll lose every election.
Speaker 1: I think, I think that that's the risk. That's the risk, and and and you know, I want I want two strong parties nationally. I want two strong parties in Massachusetts. I want competition the Democrats and Republicans every state. I want them to be competitive.
Speaker 5: And and I make one more one more thing, Dan.
Speaker 1: Do you guys that was because I'm way past my break.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They always tell us that that they used to say, Joe Biden is one with the empathy, empathy, empathy. I didn't see any empathy out of any of the Democrats sitting on their hands when all those all those citizens were being honored, not not one, not any empathy at all.
Speaker 1: Couldn't agree with you more on that, couldn't agree with you more on that. And that was one of the things the President said last night, which is which is true that no matter what he did, uh, no matter what he did, uh, he's there's there's nothing that that he could do. This is cut cut to be Please Rob, if you could, I want to play this for from my my friend here go, Well we just lost, we'll play it for any.
Speaker 6: And I realized there is absolutely nothing I can say to make them happy, or to make them stand or smile or applaud Nothing I can do. I could find a cure to the most devastating disease, a disease that would wipe out entire nations, or announce the answers to the greatest economy and history, or the stoppage of crime to the lowest levels ever recorded. And these people sitting right here will not clap, will not stand, and certainly will not cheer for these astronomical achievements.
Speaker 1: They won't do it no.
Speaker 6: Matter what five times I've been up here.
Speaker 1: Well again, I think that's the state of where we are in the country today. And we will see. As I say, I want to judge President Trump on what he accomplishes for the country, and if he accomplishes good things, great, If he accomplishes bad things, I'll criticize them as simple as that. We'll be back on Nightside only well line, just fill we have full lines. No need to die. We'll let you know when you can die. Coming right back on Nightside. Now back to Dan ray Line from the Window World night Side Studios on WBZ News Radio. I just had a very brief, interesting email from a listener, which is aproposa what we're talking about. The listener wrote, I began the process of applying for US citizenship upon graduation from nursing school in January of nineteen sixty two. I was sworn in as a citizen on July fourth, nineteen seventy six. That was our bicentennial day. Each what a data Remember. Each year after my application, I would receive a form letter acknowledging my application, but asking if I was in danger of being deported. I was working full time, and each year would check off no. This went on for almost fourteen years until I finally stood in Fannel Hall with several hundred boat people and swore to uphold the laws of the country. How times have changed? Interesting, let's go too, we were we going to go here? Donna's in meant for Donna. I appreciate your patience. I'm sorry it took so long to get to you.
Speaker 7: You tonight, I'm well, thank you think of it taking my call. I actually didn't know it was going to hold on for so long because it's the first time I've called in.
Speaker 1: First call, first time call. You've got to ride across from our virtual studio audience.
Speaker 5: Yeah, go ahead, Well, thank you.
Speaker 7: So I did get a chance to watch some of the hearings today and it just struck me how people the arguments need to stop illegal immigrants means they're criminals. It's illegal. Yeah, it doesn't matter how they phrase it, it's illegal.
Speaker 5: I have no.
Speaker 7: Problem with somebody who wants to come here legally. I have no promise somebody wants to come on a work visa. You know, we need to come up with the system so if people want to come in here a they're vetted. We know, if they have a criminal history, you know, maybe we need to have their fingerprints on file so if gofa bit something happens, we can identify somebody in a crime scene. You know, the resources that we're spending for these individuals is just mind blowing when you stop and think about how many of our veterans are homeless, and yet we're we're putting illegal immigrants in.
Speaker 1: Hotels and pretty nice hotels.
Speaker 7: I know, I know, it's it's just it's incredible. I just can't cannot believe it. And I want to say the after Mayor we started talking, watch the couple of things that she said, I just I just totally put her out of my mind because maybe you can explain it to me. She gave an analogy that you know, when the Red Sox won, there was one out of five players were immigrants. Nobody is complaining about legal immigrants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 7: If there was an illegal immigrant.
Speaker 1: On there, you your great point. You know, no kidding. That's a great point. Someone pointed out today that some of the signers of the u Declaration of Independent were immigrants. I don't know how you would characterize that, because we didn't have a country before the Declaration of Independence.
Speaker 7: We we so Indian they're all immigrants.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Yeah. It's it's such, it's such linguistics and semantics, and it's like, oh, they're not they're not illegal immigrants. They're they're visitors, or they're migrants, or they're they're new, they're new, new, new to the neighborhood. They all will call them newcomers.
Speaker 7: I mean, I don't think I could get on a plane and wash and march into Russia and say hey, I'm here, put my hand out and say please give me food, please give me housing, please give me healthcare. I don't think that's gonna happen.
Speaker 1: If if I was caught, let's say, dealing fentanyl, okay, which you wouldn't catch me dealing fentanyl, would I'm not a drug dealer, But my defense going into the courtroom would be I would say I'm an unlicensed pharmacist.
Speaker 7: Well, that would be fine, you know, it's it's It's all about the verbiage. What can we say, you know, I'm a cliptomaniac. I'm not a thief. Oh you're missing your diamond necklace. Oh I'm not a thief though.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So's I would say is that that you are psychologically compelled as a cliptomaniac. So we have to have some sort of some sort of syndrome in there so that she's just not a simple cliptomaniac. She's psychologically compelled towards cliptomania, which obviously.
Speaker 7: Especially the shiny stuff.
Speaker 1: If it's expensive.
Speaker 5: Exactly.
Speaker 7: So, I have no problem if people want to come into this country. And I understand the immigration process in and of itself is a long process. Let's come up with something else. Let's call it a visitor's past. You know, you know something, So they come in, we know who they are, we know if they have a criminal history that their own country has to say. We know Dan Red, you know, yes, he's coming from X, Y, and Z country. You know he does not have a criminal record here. We don't see why you can't allow him to come into your country.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you now, some countries are going to be difficult because they're they're outlaw countries. I mean, if someone's trying to come here from Somalia, you know, the process might take a little long, but I think that we have an obligation to do it right. I agree with you. That was a great first time call here, Donna. I love it. Thank you so much. Are you a regular listener? I hope. I do.
Speaker 7: I listen all the time because because unfortunately, I work two jobs so I can support my family and I'm in the chira a lot at night because I do nursing, So I do listen very very often. And I was just like, this is this is a point for me where it's like, you know what, I think. I'm just just call in.
Speaker 1: Because have you thought about maybe surrendering your US citizenship and you can become a mere resident or a newcomer?
Speaker 7: Only joking with you, well, you know, honestly, it might not be a bad idea. It could be to some of the benefits that they're getting compared to what I'm paying for my health insurance every single week, you know. And if I could just put a plug in because I don't know any legislators personally, but I truly wish that we had a statewide parking permit for healthcare workers, because I can't tell you how many tickets I receive, because all of the cities that I have to go in to provide care to patients on hospice a permit parking only. And it's so frustrating because I can only get a permit parking for where I live. I can't get one for the three counties that I provide.
Speaker 1: Karen, Well, our legislature are dealing with much more important issues than that. I mean, clearly, that's I couldn't agree with you more. I just think that that is such a no brainer. You have a state Rep over there named Paul Donado. Okay, give his office a call and tell him that that Dan ray Sage just I know, Paul, I'm serious. He's a state Rep from Medford. Uh that that if that, if he can't get it through the legislature within you know, three months, Uh, Dan's going to do have you on as a guest, and you're going to bash his brains out.
Speaker 7: I will have no problem evoking your name then.
Speaker 1: Sir, all right, you would think that that maybe once a month they would say, okay, what are the ideas that? Without question, everybody should agree upon. I mean, I love, for example, that they're still struggling, or maybe they're finally passed up. There the revenge porn, you know that that somebody gets a picture of the girlfriend or the boyfriend or whatever and they break up and next thing they posted it on the internet. Well you should know every that's a no brainer, right, I mean, how long should it take for the legislature who's going to object to that unless it's some squirrely legislator who's done that himself, you know.
Speaker 7: For herself, waiting to have the opportunity.
Speaker 1: To exactly exactly they should be. Like one day, if they really wanted transparency at the State House, we could call it no brainer day and every rep could ever write to get up and speak for two minutes. And if they can't convince their colleagues within two minutes that this is a no brainer, okay, then then but they won't don't ever do that. We're going to have to refer to the Committee on Bills in Legislation because we need to justify the one hundred and seventy five thousand dollars salary. We're sending to the chairman of the committee, who's sitting right over there, representative chromophor representative chromophor, could you please wake up. We're referring to you. Oh, yes, he is alive. It's a joke. It's a joke where you're going to have Diana, Diana Dizaglio, the Democratics date auditor on to tomorrow night. Who has the audacity of wanting to audit the legislature. She is a hero. Uh and she's someone that you should always vote for, Diana Disaglio. She's she's if.
Speaker 7: You're not doing anything wrong, you should have no problem with anybody looking in your books.
Speaker 1: Well, first of all, it's public money. Whether you whether you're doing something wrong or not, it's public money. I don't have a right to look into your checkbook, but I think you and I have a right to look into the checkbook of the state legislature. Absolutely, three cheers for Diana Desauglio. We'll have her on tomorrow night at nine o'clock. Thank you, Donna. I love this.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I hope you call back more often. Called Donato and tell him, hey, look I talked to Dan Ray and if we can't get this thing past, Dan says he's going to do a big story on it, and and we're putting it in your in your very capable hands. He'll get the message.
Speaker 7: I appreciate that, and I will call him thank you.
Speaker 1: Here comes the news. We're gonna take a quick break. Only one line open, six one seven, Ny coming right back Nightside with Dan Ray on WBSY, Boston's news radio. Mixed up on Nightside, Kim is in Boston. Kim, appreciate your patients. Next on Nightside, go right.
Speaker 8: Ahay, Kim, Hi Dan, how are you to save night?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great. Really, do appreciate your patience. I know I've given a lot of the callers a little extra time, but you go right ahead.
Speaker 9: You're on No.
Speaker 8: I really appreciate you taking my call. I guess three times in a row. It's lucky charm because I'm a first time caller.
Speaker 9: Also, Whoay Dawkin?
Speaker 1: Three calls this very hour. Excellent, Go right ahead. What's what's what prompts you to call tonight? Would you like to say you're you got the microphone? Kim?
Speaker 8: Well, I appreciate it because I am beyond excited that you brought up the subject of illegal immigrants this evening. I am originally from the UK and I was lucky enough to come over with my family under a work visa for my dad and went through the whole process completely legally. And while I still had my green card, I was in my teens and dropped out of high school. I got myself into drugs and went down a bad road. I got caught with marijuana. That was the only charge, but it wasn't legal we had in Massachusetts. But no matter what, it's illegal federally. So that puts me up for deportations today.
Speaker 1: By the way. You today, by the way, if you'll come with marijuana, you get a boy scout or a girl scout. Bret Badge goldably getting.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 8: So as I'm awaiting to get my citizenship, I now have to wait at a time period. I get involved with harder things and more trouble. Did not play it smart. I took being in this country completely for granted. In the process I was going through completely lucky that I'm one of those white blonde hair people. You know that no one would look twice if I walked by them on a street. So long story short, all my family members became citizens and I was the only one that did not, and I ended up having to face a federal judge for deportation, and I at this time had a daughter, and I had to go in front of them and say clame hardship and say yes, I would go back to do you him leave my child here because she's American. It was really hard to do and luckily they kept me here. And ever since that, I've definitely not taken it for granted. I'm officially a US citizen. Now I've also walked more into it. It's a long process, it's a lot of money. So people that don't have it easy like I did, and they're escaping like traumatic situations or whatever their situation is. It's not always drugs. They are coming here and they don't have the funds to go through the legal process.
Speaker 1: Or can I just jump in for one second and give you what I think is a simple solution. Here's a simple solution. Take all the money that this country is spending on people who are here illegally, which is billions upon billions, if not trillions of dollars, and say to people, look, uh, if you go back to your home country and you come back here legally, we we will we will take the money that we're wasting, you know, trying to deport people or whatever. There's there's ways to induce people to do it legally, but I what I want is that people who come back. I want to have people come back who are going to be able to contribute to our society. We have people coming in this country who are killing young women, who are raping women, who are killing young men, who are who are drug mules. It's one thing to be someone who smoked pot that is now perfectly legal in Massachusetts, but it's quite another thing if you're coming in here and you're deal in fentanyl. I mean, that's a that's a drug that kills people. So I just think that if we sat back and we looked, and we had people to goodwill from both parties, we could come up and I think you and I could be involved in that process if they wanted to have a couple of citizens and come up and figure out a way in which people who are coming in here and want to do the right thing. And many many of them who are coming in are going to work manual labor, manual jobs. They don't have big college educations. Give them a break on the cost and the process. And also I just think they would solve two problems. It would get more people in here legally and would save the money that were chasing people who were here illegally.
Speaker 8: So I absolutely love what you just said. However, in my own opinion, yep, I there are people born in the United States of America every single day that grow up to rate children and kill people. It's everywhere in the world. My child's father right now, who is a born US that is a and is incarcerated right now for multiple charges, and they keep adding up while he's in there, but completely which is great. He's here, he's he's a born US citizen now. But what I'm granted my charges are technically highly criminal charges to the government that was you.
Speaker 1: Got you gotta you gotta break. Okay, you've got to break. I get that. But the problem, here's the problem. If if your ex, let us say, had killed someone, that would have been a crime committed by US citizen. Now, there's nothing that we can do to a US citizen ahead of time. If you if you came to me and I was the head of the FBI, and if you said, look, I married this guy. He's a bum. He's going to kill somebody at some point we can't do anything about that. We can't say, well, let's throw this guy in jail for life because he may be a killer, you know that. But the people who committed the country and who kill Americans who come here who shouldn't have been here in the first place, that's a preventable death, that's a preventable rape.
Speaker 8: But how do you separate the people that shouldn't have been here in the first place?
Speaker 1: Very simple. I have a simple answer for that. I have I have a simple answer for that.
Speaker 8: Okay, let's hear it.
Speaker 1: Well, you have an immigration process, and you do you do a background check, you find out, okay, where are they coming from? Why are you coming here?
Speaker 9: What?
Speaker 1: You have them go to the US console in wherever they are, whether they're in England or they're in Ethiopia, and they have a conversation with the console and then they find out. If that then they have to, you know, comply with other regulations to file the proper paperwork prove to us that they're coming here. They can do something. If somebody shows up and says, look, I'm eighty nine years old, I I've had three heart attacks and I want to go to America's so I can get heart surgery. I don't think that that's someone who I'm going to say should come here as an immigrant, even though they're eighty nine years old. Do you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 8: I do know what you're saying.
Speaker 1: If somebody comes here, shows up from the Dominican Republic, it says I have no work skills, but I will work. I will clean toilets, which by the way, I did when I was in college. I will pick blueberries, I will pick strawberries. I will do whatever I have to do. I will clean, I will mob Floy's. I want that person to committee it because we need people to do that.
Speaker 8: No, absolutely, I mean I was shocked because I found out a neighbor of mine is from Albania and they have to do a lottery top.
Speaker 1: Yes they do.
Speaker 8: They comes to the United States. I had no idea if.
Speaker 1: If if they're doing it, if well, Kim, if they're doing it legally.
Speaker 8: If you're doing it legally, they're lottery process. And he was telling the lottery process, you get picked, but that doesn't mean that you get to go. It means you're part of the lottery that might get to go. So that it is not able to wait that process and needs to exit immediately.
Speaker 1: We have we we have, we we have, we have that continguency covered, Kim. If if somebody has to exit a country because they they're in they're in fear of their life, and it's a genuine fear of their life, they can they can claim asylum and come here immediately.
Speaker 8: So that means that technically all these illegal immigrants.
Speaker 9: Could do that.
Speaker 1: No, they have to prove no, No, they.
Speaker 9: Have to prove true.
Speaker 1: How do you prove anything? In other words, you have to show up and you have to tell you story and it has to be found to be credible. You go to a port of entry and you say, I want to claim asylum, Kim, believe it or not. Trust me. I know this stuff. Okay.
Speaker 8: I know this stuff because I have.
Speaker 1: Been money so that there there were ways to do this. Okay, there were ways to do this. Do you know that we have assistant fried Ship. I'll give you an example which I love to give. I'm a lawyer, okay. I happen to be Irish. Okay, bye bye. You know my background. I also have a dual citizenship, okay, because I had grandfathers who grandfather, who came here legally grandfather grandmother. So I have a dual citizenship. But if people were coming here and saying, hey, here i am, I'm Seamous and I'm I'm a lawyer from Ireland. We got enough lawyers coming in this country, I would say, Seamous would love to have you. But you're gonna have to step to the line.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: If there's a nurse there from Bangladesh and a doctor from Pakistan. We need nurses and doctors. You put them to the head of the line. It's it's not brain surgery, Kim. We can do it.
Speaker 8: So it's kind of like a Titanic move. Who do you save off the ship?
Speaker 1: Isn't a question about saving We represent six percent of the world's population, Kim. It would be wonderful if I said, let's open up our borders and if you want to come to America, that's fine. It doesn't matter if you have any skills or anything like that. Come on, come on, just come on in. Everybody up in Canada you want to come in, Come on in Mexico, come on in. Just just flock over the border. That's what we've been doing for the last four years.
Speaker 8: I've been told my whole life, we're moving to America because there's more opportunity there.
Speaker 1: That's right, there is there is, but we have been we have a writer as a country. Look, Kim, we've gone eleven minutes, and I love to call, but I.
Speaker 8: Think were I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks Kim, please call again and we'll talk again. Thanks very much. You two have a great night. Got to take a break. Patton Kingston's coming up. I got Low and Medford Linus and even gonna get you all in David rent them. I promise no more ten minute phone calls. Okay. We're going to try to keep everybody to three minutes. Okay, and if you if you can do that, it's going to be good for everybody. Coming back on Nightside. Now, back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Nightside Studios on WBZ News Radio. All right, we've got to pick up the pace Patt and Kingston. Pat, I apologize for the amount of time you've had to wait. You next on Nightside, Dah and no worries.
Speaker 9: Great knowledge from a lot of your callers tonight. So let's just get right after the point here.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 5: I Oh, the media says the court trying to do on the right thing. They're releasing all these individuals. Well, let's look at the big picture of ICE is not in the courthouse. If ICE is on site, we can give them the individual the asked for. If they make a phone call and be like we'll be there in twenty five minutes, thirty minutes, guess what, we released them. We let them out into the public.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so.
Speaker 9: We don't hold them if there's no If they come in with a detainer, then we hold them. If you're on site, if you're not in the courthouse, it's at that present time, goodbye, you're out the door.
Speaker 1: That's the Massachusetts policy. Okay. Under a very confusing decision called the lun decision from twenty seventeen. The fact of the matter is if if let us say, ICE picks up someone. First of all, you know, let's say a local state, a local police department picks up someone and they are charged with a crime, all right, I think that that police department should have the ability to find out who is this person, what other crimes may have they committed, And in the meantime they contact federal authorities and say, hey, look, do you have anything on this person and you're interested in them. If the if the government says, look, you know, the guys a pickpocket, We don't have time to come over and pick them up. Fine, you let them go. But if all of a sudden, the government says, look, this guy is suspected in a murder in Maryland, he suspected an armed robbery in Pennsylvania, we'd like to come over and get him. Well, if the police department says, you know, come over and you've got to be here in five minutes, that's not possible. There was one example that was that was pointed out today where Ice called and they sent six agents to get the guy. They could have kept him inside the building. They let him walk out the door, and once he walked out the door, he wanted to fight the six Ice guys. I mean, it's like, why do we want to make it difficult for law enforcement at any level in America to do their job.
Speaker 9: So you're saying police department, So I'm talking about the courts, which I have great knowledge of, and we can talk offline if you want. But once the police department drops said person off, Ice already knows. Ice makes the phone call to the courthouse and says, Hey, I'm coming to pick up Xyz. I'm in the parking lot. If the courthouse lets that person go, he comes in the lock up, takes that person out the side door. Game is over. But the problem is the media sits there and they say, oh, stir less him or her go, Well.
Speaker 1: You have you have these, you have the case. Look, if you're a lawyer in Massachusetts, I assume you're you're familiar the case of Judge Shelley Joseph in Newton. Correct, you know that case. So if you have an ICE officer in the you have an ICE officer in the courtroom waiting to grab this guy. She told her bailiff go down and tell the ICE officer in the back of the courtroom to go into the lobby, a court officer, bailiff, whatever. So the court officer goes lobby, comes back, and the judge turns off the recording for like fifty two seconds, there's a conversation and she instructs the court officer walked the guy out the back door.
Speaker 9: Come on, and Dan, I can't speak for that, but the policy is, if ICE is on site, we are required to bring ice in the lock up. That person goes out the side door.
Speaker 1: Well, again, I think you treat What I'm trying to say to you was I think you treat each person differently.
Speaker 9: If you got somebody there negative negative, negative, it doesn't work like that.
Speaker 1: Maybe it should work like it should work like I.
Speaker 9: Know, if they come in they say I have a detainer for X, y Z, and that person is released, they come in, take that person and they go with them.
Speaker 1: You know what you know? Pat? Then look, we're talking about two different things here. I think No, I think we are.
Speaker 9: You're a lawyer, Dan, I know you're a lawyer, and you're a lawyer.
Speaker 1: That's fair, so we can talk as lawyers. Okay, you're familiar with the lun decision, right, correct? Okay, you know what that decision is clearly. When was the last time you read it.
Speaker 9: Last week?
Speaker 1: Okay? Well I read it a couple of days ago, so we were both readed. Okay, if you can understand that decision clearly. Uh, I want to know, every one of these cases is different. So if you have some guy in there who's in for overdue parking tickets, uh, that's it. They're not going to be calling ICE for someone like that. ICE has to get notified by one. And if you have, you've you've seen stories where people are are basically they don't even call ICE, or if they call ICE, ICE says, look, I need a couple, We need a couple of ours to get over there. And if the person is charged with a serious crime, if they're in there and they're charged with a murder or something like that, you've got to treat that person a little bit differently. You can still give them due process, because I know that's what you're going with your argument. You still give them due process. You say to Ice, Okay, here, you got them. You figure out what you want to do with them. And if if they want to get a lawyer and go back and try to try to seek a haavieor's corpus in federal court or whatever, you can have a You can't just say everybody, it's it's all all. It's like all the all the entry. Let's open the gate and let everybody out.
Speaker 9: Our system is one. I test be on site at the courthouse.
Speaker 1: Who decided that decided that? Who decided that federal federal court. That's not the SID that's not that's not no. Come on, you don't know what you're talking about. That's not decided. It's a Massachusetts. It's a Massachusetts. Well, Pat, I'm glad you waited, but we went seven minutes and I'm flat out of Tome. I apologize. Call again, We'll continue our conversation. Okay, like to.
Speaker 9: Take that personnel that great, have a great night.
Speaker 1: That's the problem with Massachusetts right now. It doesn't matter, you know, let's let's let them all go, simple as that. If you agree with Pat, call in and tell me how, how how good uh that policy is. They do it differently in different states. Back on Nightside after this