Speaker 1: You're list seeds KFI AM six forty. The Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Hey everybody, it is The Bill Handle showed Neil Savedra and the morning crew here for you.
Speaker 3: I think he'll be back Monday.
Speaker 2: He had foot surgery technically toet surgery, I guess, and had it removed from his mouth, which is good. We're very very proud of that and look forward to his return on Monday.
Speaker 3: Hopefully. If not, I will most likely be with you.
Speaker 2: So we've got a new pope, new pope, and I will tell you something.
Speaker 3: It's been nice.
Speaker 2: Producer Ann and I were talking about, like the energy, just hearing words of faith, people talking about the Holy Spirit, talking about God, talking about the presence of faith, and people surrounding Vatican City with excitement. There's just something refreshing about that. Now you're talking about what is one point four billion people are Catholics. I grew up in the Catholic Church. I personally became a Protestant around seventeen or so. My mom's still very active in the Catholic Church. It's a huge part of my life.
Speaker 3: It was exciting.
Speaker 2: It's not the first time i've seen this obviously happen with the smoke and all of that being here at KFI as well, But it was just interesting to see excitement around something that I don't know wasn't ugly. Now, you may not like the Catholic Church or not like the papacy or any of these things, and that's fine. I'm just saying that, you know, and to see this all over the news is, I don't know, find it very refreshing and it's been kind of kind of cool to hear the crowds below chanting Viva Il Papa. Long lived the pope, So you know, what do we know about him now? Politically we're going to start understanding more and more about his issues. But there are some insights that we have right now. So Robert Francis Privos sixty nine, he's going to be the He is the twenty two hundred and sixty seventh rather occupant of the throne of Saint Peter. He will be known as Leo the fourteenth. He is the first American to fill the role as pope. He does have a very deep tie to Latin America. Spent a lot of time as a missionary in Peru, and you know, that really ties him to many roots.
Speaker 3: But he was born here.
Speaker 2: He's born in Chicago, nineteen fifty five, parents of Spanish and Franco Italian descent. Prevo served as an altar boy. He was ordained in nineteen eighty two, so that's me. He became a priest at his first words as Pope Leo the fourteenth were to speak fondly about his predecessor, Pope Francis. And I'm sure that's probably part for the course, but still nice to hear saying that Pope Francis, who blessed us united and hand in hand with God, let us advance together. He told all the crowd that we're course cheering. And if you've never been to Vatican City, it's it's it's a very cool place. I mean the you tour it, and it's stunning the artwork there finished and unfinished. I mean, this stuff, it just is mind boggling to see the talent and creativity. You know, the gift of time is something that we you know, run out of. That's the one thing that's the one commodity that you can't make more of. Right, and you see, when there wasn't distractions in life, no TV, no, nothing right. The intensity of the art that took just intense amounts of time on your back, you know, to pay things like the Sistine Chapel, and it's just amazing. It just the history of it all is powerful. And the guy yelling at you in the Sistine Chapel, celensiou Celensiu, will forever be echoing through my head. So the new pope, he became archbishop in January of twenty twenty three. And this is what I didn't know, Like talk about boom boom boom. You know, somebody running up the ranks became archbishop in January twenty twenty three. Within a few months, Pope Francis made him cardinal and now he's the pope. I mean, so from twenty twenty three to now, Yeah, that's a that's a big old jump. As far as his views, these are something that are going to come out. Of course, it's gonna be hard to keep the excitement up because party poopers are already want to jump in and they're going to pick apart his faith and his belief system. And I guess that is part of the system as well, to figure out what somebody believes.
Speaker 3: If they're going to be a leader.
Speaker 2: This is not only a religious leader, but somebody who is off looked at and looked.
Speaker 3: Too for guidance. You have some pronouncements.
Speaker 2: We're gonna see whether when he makes these, whether he's going to continue his predecessors reforms in the Catholic Church dealing with women and participation. Seems to be very in line with that on that with Pope Francis. But he certainly has shown that he is in line with Pope Francis's view on migrants, of which he is a child of the poor, the environment. Former roommate of the new Pope, Reverend John Leyden Johnny Leyden sounds familiar, No, no one okay described prevost to the BBC is outgoing down to earth, very concerned with the poor. So he was born in the United States, but his grandparents were all immigrants French Spanish. He was raised in a very Catholic family, very engaged in the parish. Were both his parents. Now the first thing to come out and I talked about this were the Pope's views on LGBTQ plus folks. And it's still kind of unclear. Some groups believe that he's less supportive than Francis, But we don't know yet, we don't know. Speaking last year about climate change, Cardinal Prevost said that it was time to move from words to action. So we know that that seems to be a very strong focus of his.
Speaker 3: So we'll see as he.
Speaker 2: Makes pronouncements and you know, gets comfortable with his position as to what things he's going to do or not do in the church.
Speaker 3: Very very cool. What's in a name? Right?
Speaker 2: What does it mean? Why do do you change your name as a pope? Do you have to change your name? What is it all about? So you have Cardinal Robert Prevost appearing on the balcony of Saint Peter's Basilica, introduced by the name Leo the fourteenth will The first thing we know is that there was thirteen more before him. But the choice of the name in the Catholic Church does give a little bit of, I don't know, insight as to what the papacy might look like under this new leader. So by choosing Leo, the new two hundred and sixty seventh pope joins these other thirteen popes that had that name before him.
Speaker 3: So you look what they basically do.
Speaker 2: You start to look at the previous leos, and it shows in history that they were reformers, including Pope Leo the thirteenth, elected in eighteen seventy eight, So he spoke about human dignity, the dignity of labor. So that might be part because obviously, you know, popes select their people names. They've been doing it for some time centuries. They're often drawn to similar names of you know, previous pontiffs, but ones that they want to emulate. Right, that's kind of like, you know, how you name kids too, based on family members or something interesting that you know touched your life or in the case of our son Maximilian, a bloodthirsty, thirsty, murderous robot from the Black Hole movie. But have say, everybody does it their own way. So popes have been uh checked, you know, choosing their names for centuries. It wasn't always that way, but we know now because of the choice that this is probably going to be a lot of social focus teaching because these are some of the things that were done by previous pope leos. Now, in the early days of Tholicism, pope's you know, usually just used their baptismal name, whatever it was. Some pontiffs had names that if you you know, hear them now, they sound ridiculous, like Pope hilarious. No joke, that was a pope. Pope hilarious. Isn't that Alec Baldwin's wife's name. Maybe I got there wrong. There was pope some simplica, simplicious, simplicious, not a very smart pope maybe. But when Pope John the second was elected in five point thirty three a d he changed the president, opting for John over his given name.
Speaker 3: Mer curious.
Speaker 2: Now the belief is that that was probably shed because of the you know, Pagan Roman god of the same name. So this all kind of came about in the late tenth century that choosing a papal name became kind of standard practice, and it's what we tend to see today. And there's a lot of John's. There's a lot of John Paul's. As a matter of fact, there was for a long time. It was just a single name. And these are this is how anything changes, right.
Speaker 3: You have.
Speaker 2: A name or one way of doing something, and then someone says, you know what, I want two names and they do John Paul. Then all of a sudden, John Paul becomes the norm to be able to pick two names. Now, the late seventeen hundreds to the mid nineteen hundred saw a wave of Pius's Pope Pious. Well more recently, we've had a lot of popes that I've grabbed towards John and Paul, and so that becomes kind of you know, that's like Pope John or Pope John Paul is like what I think about as a pope. You know, these were these were like pope's growing up now, growing up in a Catholic household. These were the names that you heard and tied to the pope. And it's kind of what sticks in my head. But I assume now and understand more theology now as to why they may pick a certain name tying to somebody that they want to emulate or they But back then I just thought, oh, they just picked a religious name. Right, This pope pointed something out in scripture, and you go, oh, that sounds that sounds pretty Catholic, biblical.
Speaker 3: Let's go ahead with that.
Speaker 2: But it is interesting that this may foreshadow some of the things that may be coming out of the papacy from here on forward. So we will keep an eye on everything Pope. I wonder when the the pope citement is going to die down?
Speaker 3: Are we going to have? Like by Monday?
Speaker 2: People are still gonna be excited by the pope because this is going to be the first Mass Mother's Day Mass. He's gonna be the first first Mass. I think the excitement will be around for a while, especially because he's American. Yeah, I'm I'm I'm just glad to see people talking about something that's a little more positive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a little more positive, I'll take They missed the most important part about this pope. What he's a white Sox fan? Oh wow? Is that a decree? Is that like something now that has come is official? Like all Catholics? Yeah, his brother confirmed it. Oh boy, I know the Cubs earlier in the day were trying to claim him.
Speaker 3: Of course they no, no, no, no, no. White. Does that make people like him either more or less if he's a white Sox fan? I think more more of an underdog?
Speaker 2: Hmmm all right, well, people of faith, we usually are more of an underdog, all right. I know a lot of folks in the film and television industry, entertainment industry here in Los Angeles. There was a time where I wanted to go into it myself. I really loved making props. I love you know, I love all of the costumes, the props, the sets, special effects. Actually got to do special effects on a film when I was in my early twenties. It was a religious film and it was super super cool to do just.
Speaker 3: Being around it. I love it.
Speaker 2: Never went down that path, but have a lot of friends that are in it, and I think we forget about that. I think we forget that. Our economy has partnered with the film industry for a long time. It's what built hollywood Land into Hollywood, what made what we have here in southern California special. It's very easy to get jaded from the small percentage. Like the actors and directors people get paid big money and you can go, oh my gosh, you know, well, you know, why should I cry it here for them? But trust me, there are thousands of people that aren't in that category that are making those movies happen. From you know, the prop makers, from the special effects people, from you know, food and beverage, people that come in for craft services, from security, from PA's, from lighting, the grips, the best boys that all these people that you see that their titles scroll by super fast after the really slow single card names are up there. These are the people that make movies, that make television. They're affected too, and a lot of them have lived here in southern California for that very reason.
Speaker 3: So now we have now we have Trump coming out.
Speaker 2: And saying that on Truth Social, and keep in mind True Social is kind of a sketchpad for the president. I don't take everything he says to be gospel or that it will come to fruition. I think he throws things out. That's his big, you know napkin where he just writes things down on. But he proposed on True Social that the US film industry was dying. He unveiled plans for tariffs on overseas made productions to reverse the trend, which he called a national security threat. Is it a national security threat? No, However, the fact that movies are leaving our country and are date for countries like Britain, Canada and the Czech Republic. This reversing that trend that we've had forever in Hollywood being in films shot here.
Speaker 3: You know, the.
Speaker 2: Biggest grossing film, a Minecraft movie shot in Canada.
Speaker 3: No reason why it needed to be shot in Canada.
Speaker 2: Now the thing that I don't get about Trump's position yet because yet I don't know that he's clarified. There's some films that need to be shot in Budapest because they take place in Budapest. So there are things that you are going to do that that's not I don't care about that personally. That's part. That's part for the course. You want excitement and all that. What I care about and what bugs me is Canada for America. They go to Canada dress the streets like American streets because it's cheaper. That should not be happening. We should do something about that. Newsome has reached out, there's no no one is going.
Speaker 3: Oh Newsom and Trump love each other.
Speaker 2: They don't. Newsom has made that very clear. And let's face it, Trump doesn't like anybody mostly so now gav Our very own gave Newsome. He's proposed a seven point five billion dollar tax credit program and offered to work with Donald Trump to boost US film production. And I think that that's that's a good thing. I think they both need to come together for this.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: If you want to slap some tariffs on playing other countries for US, I think I'm all right with that. But you can't just motivate negatively. We have to think if it's important enough, then you're gonna that you think we should throw one hundred percent tariffs on films made abroad, Then it's important enough to put money down and say we want tax credits and plans to boost US film. You can't just magically force people to do stuff here more expensively. You have to build in a system of incentives as well, and maybe a combination. Like I said, may say, if you're gonna go to Canada and dress it like New York, then kiss my ass. There's gonna be tariffs, but there should also be positive incentive incentives.
Speaker 3: You know, there's nothing.
Speaker 2: I remember, nothing that bums me out as a fan of film and television and the arts and going, oh my gosh, what a cool scene that was? I wonder and it's, you know, supposed to take place in La or New York or something. I go, I wonder where that set was or where that location rather was and I look it up and it was Canada, Toronto, Toronto. But it's important enough to talk tariffs, it's important enough to talk benefits. I'm seeing people scrambling, very hard working people These aren't the single card names that you know. These are the people that bust their humps. I mean, really, if you've ever seen what a grip does, holy hell, like Swiss army knives of the film industry, I mean just just and lifting. They make nothing out of air force aluminum. In the film industry. It's all steel. It al weighs a ton, and it's moving in and out everywhere, and they're so meticulous that everything is wrapped up the way it came.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 2: I mean just some of the hardest work you've ever seen. But we think it's glamour and all. We need to protect the film industry and television and these things in Southern California. We must protect it in the United States. But I don't think the punishment with tariffs is the only way. I think there's a partial save when it comes to playing you know, Toronto for La New York or whatever. But because films are going to be done abroad, of course they are. They're neither going to be in London because they take place in London, those types of things. But we should also incentifize and maybe we might see something, something good come out of a relationship between Newsome and trump fingers crossed, or in Bill Handle's case, to's cross all right, w D forty. This stuff is everywhere. They believe that, like nineteen out of every twenty homes has WD forty blue and yellow. Whether it's the spray can or the little I don't know, what do you call that little squishy oil can.
Speaker 3: Whatever, It's all over the place.
Speaker 2: And I've heard Handle talk about it on the air sometime, and I came across an article. I'm a builder, a maker, candlestick guy, whatever. I like to make stuff. I like to build replica props, I like to fix things. I like to work with electronics. So WD forty is a big deal. Now I use it for different things than what you might People always think of it as an oil, and it's really not in the sense that you would think a regular oil is. The name WD forty actually stands for water displacement. It's a formula and it was the fortieth attempt of that water displayment. Came from a rocket company, rocket chemical company, and they were here in San Diego, a little lab. This is a homegrown story and no one knows what it's made of. So this back in nineteen fifty three w forty. You had this fledgling rocket chemical company had three employees. They wanted to create a line of rust prevention solvents and decreasers for aerospace industry, and they had this little lab in San Diego and it took them forty attempts. That's where you get the water displacement, you know, WD forty, water displacement forty, and that's where it came to be. Over time, they became conveyor and people were sneaking. People that worked there were sneaking this stuff home to use it at home. By nineteen fifty eight, with it's in full commercial use. Back in two thousand and nine, Wired Magazine sent some to a laboratory to have it analyzed because they don't we don't.
Speaker 3: Know what's in it.
Speaker 2: And the verdict fish oil, vacoline and the goop inside homemade lava lamps. How's that for a recipe? So people use it for everything. A lot of people don't understand that it's incredibly good at removing rust. A lot of people use it for like a lubrication, but really it has many others. So these are some of the ones that we came across usage that I thought were interesting. Spray it on dead fish bait, as great pike, attractor coat wire tomato cages with it to keep insects away. It stops metal tent poles from squeaking in the wind. It removes crayon from turtle shells. If you've got a turtle, now you know. It works like magic untangled horse manes and tails. It removes gunk from the base of the toilet bowl. It's a great lubricant for prosthetic limbs. Maybe handle might need that. It shines the leaves of our artificial plants.
Speaker 3: Look at that. It's like armooroll for your fake plants.
Speaker 2: There arthritis sufferers who swear by spraying it on their stiff limbs.
Speaker 3: The company, though, says, don't do that. Don't do that.
Speaker 2: Don't put this on your body like that. It's excellent for removing candle soot. Great for getting chewing gum out of kid's hair. It's rumored to keep the Statue of Liberty rust free. I don't know that to be true. It takes the sting out of fire ant bites.
Speaker 3: Eh.
Speaker 2: Keep in mind, we're not medical doctors. I don't know if any of this works. It keeps mirrors and windows from fogging up what you could be in the car, or your bathroom wherever. It repels pigeons from balcony railings. Really, I wonder if it works on other birds as well. Paired with long handled lighter, makes a great mini flame thrower.
Speaker 3: Don't do that.
Speaker 2: Keep snow from snicking sticking to shovels. It eliminates static on volume control and tuning knobs. It cleans dog poop off tennis shoes. It camouflages scratches in cultured marble. It removes duct tape. Those are just some of the recommendations of people that use it in their house. WD forty what can't it do? Let's get the latest. Oh no, we're going to take it to the top. This is KFI heard everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.