Speaker 1: Hmm. Welcome friends.
Speaker 2: They are locked in a battle to the death, a battle that they'll take them across the heavens stop, a battle that will finally be fought. Brought me across the face of Earth from a distant galaxy. They have come to work. Dolph Landgren as he Man, Frank Langella as Skeletor. Only they have the powers to be the masters of the universe. Live the adventure.
Speaker 3: Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zachi Hasan and Brian Hall. Tell me about the loneliness of good? Is it equal to the loneliness of evil? I ask you that all the time? Yeah, he ask me that all the time. Turns out it's a line in this movie. I had no idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's just something you've always wondered.
Speaker 3: I just constantly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I've never known which side you thought I was a part of.
Speaker 3: So well, I'm asking about the loneliness of good. Right, So they're therefore, oh, okay, by extension, right, we are kind of like the he Man and Skeletor of the podcasting scene. Sure, engaged in constant, lifelong battle, neither complete without the other.
Speaker 4: I think it tracks, Yeah, yeah, Yeah, I like our duality and thinking that together we could unlock the secrets of Gray Skull.
Speaker 3: Right, I think that is our lot in life. Yeah. But you know, as we are recording this, we are we are in the lead up to the big budget new movie at saptation of Masters of the Universe, which is I think, as we've discussed many a time on this show, was not a sentence we expected to say. No.
Speaker 4: I mean there's been starts and stops trying to make this movie ever since we began this podcast fourteen years ago. Or yeah, it was so Yeah, it's amazing. Like I think you and I even said, until we're seated in the movie was like unspooling in front of us, we would wouldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: But like the premiere has already happened. Yeah, even still, I won't believe it till I am walking out of the theater.
Speaker 4: Hey, if it was a Warner Brothers movie, they could still delete it.
Speaker 3: It's just one hard drive away from never seeing the light of day. Yeah, but hey, we thought this is a perfect opportunity to go to dip into the archives to almost forty years ago and watch and talk through the only previous live action Masters of the Universe movie nineteen eighty seven's Masters of the Universe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, which we've talked about for a long time, and I think it's kind of amazing that we get to do it to celebrate the release of this new movie, which I'm really looking forward to.
Speaker 3: It's true, this is a movie I think, correct me if I'm wrong you you did not see it as a kid.
Speaker 4: I have seen it in my life. As I was watching it, I thought, I'm not sure I've ever seen this all the way through. This is a movie that would be on on a Saturday afternoon on WGN Channel nine kind of a thing. Yeah, and I'm certain I've seen chunks of this several times, but yeah, this might be the first time all the way through.
Speaker 3: Well, there you go. For me, I was seven going on eight. I saw it in the theater when it came out. I was in Edmonton. This is this is kind of like a this is a canon event for me totally.
Speaker 4: I could I can imagine.
Speaker 3: Not to say I think it's good necessarily, but boy do I have a lot of affection for it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, you and I both grew up with the he Man cartoon that I was obsessed with and I had the action figures.
Speaker 3: And yeah, and this came out just in time to not capitalize on any of that. I know, I know, but we'll talk about that as we watch the movie. Yeah, so, hey, if you want to watch along with us, this is the nineteen eighty seven Masters of the Universe, the one starring Dolflandgren and of course Frank Langella. If you want to have that experience of watching along with us, you certainly can do that. However, the best way to do that, Brian, would be by subscribing to our Patreon feed.
Speaker 4: Yes, if you head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast. Over there, you'll find a special feed where it has all our episodes, all our commentaries absolutely ad free, so you have no ads or interruptions, butting in to the conversation, which is most important when we're doing a commentary and you're trying to fall along with a movie.
Speaker 3: And if you just want to hear us talking, and we'll try to keep the conversation interesting enough. But we're gonna go ahead and do our thing right now, so we'll do the usual. We'll start on three one two three and play you ready, Brian, I'm ready and here we go one, two, three play Canon pictures.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that could be its own feature length track. Talking about I have to.
Speaker 3: Say this was basically my first time seeing a Canon movie, So I see that logo for the first time in theater, I'm like, Wow, these guys must be the ones who make the great movies, right right, right, And I will say I wasn't necessarily wrong in that their movies are great in a certain manner of speaking. Sure, sure they represent a very specific era.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, and type of film a moment, a moment if you will, in film a moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this one, despite being a Canon picture, has a conspicuous absence of ninjas and or Sylvester Stallone. So that's Chuck Norris.
Speaker 4: A beautiful painting here by the way.
Speaker 1: There.
Speaker 3: You know, there is a lot of great practical effects work and Matt painting work in this movie that I think has helped some of these effect sequences stand the test of time more than I would have expected. I agree.
Speaker 4: I mean, this is obviously a low budget film, but working within their constraints, I think it's like pretty, you know, enjoyable and admirable even you know what they do get away with here. I mean even just like the this is at the ending, but when they're having that battle by the corner of the building, you know, at the end, and then it gets teleported into Eternia and you see just the corner of the building right in the throne room. I was like, that's fun, that's cool, that's clever, and it doesn't need to be big, but it sells the spectacle of the story in a really practical way.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean this movie when we talk about canon, it came out within weeks of Superman four The Quest for Peace, which is obviously a famous catastrophe. This one was too, by the way they lost their shirts. They took big bets on both Superman four and this, and it basically helped to bring down the studio.
Speaker 4: Right, And they had big plans had these succeeded, right for a Spider Man movie.
Speaker 3: That's right, it shot back to back with a sequel to this, that would have been the plan.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and they were gonna share sets apparently, and costumes.
Speaker 3: And the director Albert Pion. Yeah. But but I think weirdly, despite the fact that this came out, you know, in proximity with Superman four that this one in terms of the visual effects holds up better than Superman four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, but I.
Speaker 3: Want to be very clear. I mean it looks like they had about eight dollars to rub together and other than the set we're in right now, which is the Gray Skull set, which is quite impressive. Yeah, one of the biggest sets ever built up to that point.
Speaker 4: Actually, yeah, right, it was like two stages together, right, didn't they like smash a wall down right, extend a stage? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so very impressive. But what you realize is it's basically this and that's it. They blew a big truck of their budget.
Speaker 4: On and like a street in Whittier, California.
Speaker 3: They had no money for extras, right right, this ghost town that our heroes end up in. Now now Frank Langela. So when I watched this movie, I I don't believe I had seen Rocky four yet, but I knew Dolph and Grant from that, like I had seen images of him.
Speaker 4: M hm.
Speaker 3: So I was like, Okay, I did not know Frank Langela for sure, No, but I remember the trailers in the TV spots were like, Frank Langela is skeletor I was like, oh wow, he must be a big deal.
Speaker 4: If he is the is you know right right?
Speaker 3: And and I will say, Frank Langela does a this, this is comparable to Raoul Julia in Street Fighter. Hey, I had the same thought. Yeah, my man up, yep, yep. He is so fun to watch in this movie.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 3: He's great. Apparently he rewrote big chunks of his dialogue. Give him a big monologue. I believe all of that.
Speaker 4: You see, I watched that documentary what was it, By the Power of Gray Skull? Oh sure, sure, okay, yeah, the he Man you know story about the whole franchise. Yeah, it's like a ninety minute documentary and he's interviewed in it and he talks about that where his son was a fan of hem in the cartoon. He was offered the movie and he's like, sure, yeah, I'll do this, Like my son will really enjoy this. And what I love is it wasn't like, all right, I just tell me where to sit, you know, I'll just throw my mustache and call it a day. Where's the catering table? Like he dug into the script and was like, no, no, no, let's let's try this. Like this might be better. Like, he really invested in this and to this day talks about it being one of his favorite roles he's ever played.
Speaker 3: I would imagine that Franklin Jella has spent much of the last forty years encountering people who are like I love do eskeletor you know, like talk about a role that lives on with the very specific demographic.
Speaker 4: Right, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean it's funny because a year ago you and I were we talked through Superman Returns, which also features Frank Langella, and and he could not have appeared more bored, right, Right, So we sort of have the poles of Langella.
Speaker 4: The poles of Langella. That sounds like a made up mystical world, a fantasy novel. Load up the boats you need to head to the poles of Langela.
Speaker 3: You picture like a Frank Frazetta painted cover of some barbarian or something, right exactly exactly so, So now here is Eternia aka the Vasquez Rocks.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, this is like twenty minutes from my place.
Speaker 3: They had a lot of big ideas about shooting somewhere, you know, in Arizona or Montana or something they ended up No, let's just do the Vasquaz rocks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which, by the way, it look great. I mean they're very cinematic and are a lot of productions like, they're very recognizable.
Speaker 3: Very familiar. Yeah. So Dolph Lundgren, uh, he came with with the package. Basically by the time Gary Goddard signed on, he had one you know, major credit, which was Rocky four. And so I think some of his his inexperienced shines through, a lot of his inexperience shines through. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it wasn't there conditions about dubbing him, Yeah.
Speaker 3: So well apparently so it was in his contract that that if he was going to be dubbed, he was going to be allowed to go do it three times.
Speaker 4: Try it himself first before hiring another voice.
Speaker 3: He would do his own looping before it would move. You know, they bring somebody else in. Gary Goddard wanted somebody else. Cannon did not. Mm hmm. I think Mattel probably wanted somebody else too, And so essentially by virtue of giving him three tries, that allowed him to you know, to keep his to keep the job. And and I think this is weird, right, because, like I don't think his English is terrible in the movie. This is not like early Schwarzenegger sounding right right, right, right, like in terms of his ability to speak and and and enunci and stuff. I think it's fine. It's just he's not an experienced actor and so there isn't a lot of emoting going on, and so there there is, well, there's like zero internality for he Man in this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's strange. He's almost a side character and he is.
Speaker 3: A secondary Yeah, it feels like it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it do you think that is because of Dolph Lungren trying to mask him a little.
Speaker 3: Bit or.
Speaker 4: That was like I was just thinking about, like, it's strange that he Man doesn't make a very big impact as a character in his own movie, right, and people react to him in ways that don't quite make sense. Like Courtney Cox bonds with him immediately and is like, I'll miss you more than I've ever missed anyone before, and I'm like, man, I don't remember them ever connecting really, but you can imagine.
Speaker 3: Him, you know.
Speaker 4: But like I was thinking, you know, this is obvious, but you can imagine someone like Chris Hemsworth in that role and just the inherent charm that he brings, yeah, before he even speaks like that would just make the character feel a little bit more lived in and robust and why people respond to him the way that they do. And unfortunately with Lundren, I don't get that sense, and you just have to roll with it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And certainly in the years since, the decades since, I think he has gotten better as an actor. Yeah, so kudos to him. I mean this is he was in his like twenty seven twenty eight when he made this, and he was basically signed on because he had a blonde hair and a physicists. Yeah he fit the bill, you know. Yeah. Yeah. Gary Goddard said it much that the part of the reason he wanted somebody with the presence of Franklingello was to sort of give ballast. Yeah, and and sort of ends up being the eyes of the story, like who we experienced the story too through, which I think is somewhat true. You know, a couple of years back, I mentioned a movie called Biggles. Do you remember this? No reminder, it's about so there's a series of books about a World War One pilot named Biggles. Okay, and it's just it's just his Adventures. That's the series of books. And they made a movie in the eighties where they have an ad exec in the nineteen eighties who is hit by lightning and ends up back in time and meeting Biggles. Okay, and he keeps going back and forth and encountering Biggles. And I remember seeing that as a kid and being like, well, why aren't I don't care about this guy, you know, like Big Old, our main character is back there, you know, yeah. Yeah, And so this is this does a little bit of the Big Olds thing, Yeah, where where you know, we have these these human characters who we sort of experienced the story through, which is odd but somewhat understandable given the time where you know, the the budget and effects technology wasn't there to fully depict the world of he Man as we know it or as we knew it. The other thing is, when you think about it, I mean this movie just drops us into the world. Yeah right, And you.
Speaker 4: Just get a narration at the beginning, really quickly trying to say and it's very boilerplate, right yeah, yeah, uh. And I think that says something about how much he Man and and this mytho sort of existed in the in the you know, in the in the ether at that time, where it was just known.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he man skeletal. Everybody kind of got it, even though this it was waning by the time this movie came out. I this is the thing. I don't think it's it's possible to even summarize what a big freaking deal Masters of the Universe was at its peak. Yeah. Yeah, and so that's when this movie arrived. I just think it came too late to capitalize on it, right. I mean it's like it's like if the first Ninja Turtles movie came out in like ninety four, right, yeah, right, yeah, they just would have missed the window, right.
Speaker 4: You know, man, they really did get on that.
Speaker 3: I mean right away, right. I think they learned from this.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But you know, it's interesting thinking of Superman four and this movie coming out so close together and in the public's imagination, that's what superhero movies are, that's right, right, Like these sort of cheap, you know, ramshackle movies that kids like and adults tolerate when they have to drag them there on a Saturday afternoon, and only two years later you would get Tim Burton's Batman.
Speaker 3: Just resets the compass forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like or at least to this day, right, and then all of a sudden they're for everyone, right, and they're taken more seriously, and they have bigger budgets and they have more.
Speaker 3: Scope, and they're more sophisticated.
Speaker 4: It's crazy, like to imagine, like we're just living in that universe now and it's just watching this reminded me that like, oh, this is what people thought superhero movies were for a while, and now it's something where like everyone checks them out, they're taken seriously. They're the highest grossing movies of the year. You know, my parents watched them. You know, it's Batman eighty nine really did change at everything.
Speaker 3: So so two points here. First of all, Christina Pickles, who plays the Sorceress, just just what seven years later she would play Monica's mom on Friends? Yeah right, little could she have known? Right? Isn't it funny both of them? Right, like their lives were intertwined from this moment.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The other thing is is you think John Cipher, who plays Man at Arms, felt embarrassed wearing a helmet that looks like you could buy it at the toy isle, like a Costco at an Osco at jewel Osco. Right right, right, doesn't it look like that? Like it definitely does.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which, speaking of costumes and everything, I mean this skeletor face design that is great is amazing because it does look like a skull, but it doesn't look it looks like its own thing at the same time. Yeah, and it allows Langella to emote that's right, you know, like we get a real clear look at his eyes and he's able to have some physicality in his face with it. Like it's just as great, perfect design. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the makeup design for this film was by Michael Westmore, who would go on to become the guy for Star Trek from nineteen eighty seven to two thousand and five. So you know when you look at Wharf and Data and the Borg and all those, that's all Michael Westmore, right, uh, and you see you see that in the skeletor face here. If I'm not mistaken, this this skeletor mask ended up in a Next Generation episode and ins Holo deck scene. Yeah. Oh wow, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Well why not?
Speaker 3: It looks great.
Speaker 4: I mean this set looks great too, you know, I think it's pretty sweet.
Speaker 3: I think so. See, I I think, as I said before, right, if if you just look at this set, you're like, man, look at the scale for this movie, right m hm. But like I said, once we moved past Eternial, you're like, oh, they spent all their money on gray skull, right right.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: I wanted to mention, by the way, Meg Foster, who plays Evil in Yeah, I mean just these amazing eyes, right oh yeah yeah yeah, and you and when you read about it, you're like, yeah, that's why she got the part is because she's got these amazing eyes.
Speaker 4: I mean for people can't see them. I mean they're just this really interesting and unique, like icy blue gray.
Speaker 3: I've never seen eyes that that color ever other than her.
Speaker 4: I mean it's it's uh it looks like she's wearing special contacts or something.
Speaker 3: That that was her actual ideolol, that's just her. She's Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well I was gonna say she's in They Live also, is what I know.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right, yeah, yeah, uh yeah. They were talking about Sarah Douglas, who played Ursa in the Superman films, playing Evil Linn and I, yeah, I say, I can absolutely see that. But I'm sure she was like, can I not make a career out of standing next to a guy who keeps wanting people to kneel in front of him.
Speaker 4: That's yeah, you're right, sah.
Speaker 3: But Meg Foster is great. I love her as evil in Yeah.
Speaker 4: She doesn't have a ton to do, but speaking, you know, the opposite of what I was saying about duff Lungren. She brings so much in her stars and her smirks and her the way she the postures her body like she's bringing a lot and.
Speaker 3: Making that charcter very memorable. I love.
Speaker 4: I think these eighties effects look cool. They fit within this film.
Speaker 3: I agree with that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think even down to just real quick the Sorceress, Yeah, just that really subtle effect of having a light overhead, you know, making her look illuminated and trapped in that light like that.
Speaker 3: That's easy. Anyone could do that, but like it's.
Speaker 4: Imaginative, you know, and it feels otherworldly and like she's trapped in a beam of light. And I just feel like you don't need something like to animate all these other extra things going around her. Like that is enough and it looks really cool and I think is a smart use of their budget.
Speaker 3: That's really true. I think that by working within their limitations, you become less obvious of where those imitations are. And and you know, I think that certainly for me seeing this as a kid, I didn't grock that this was a very low budget movie. Yeah right, you know, and I again, now it's very clear. Like I said, man at arms wearing that jewel Osco helmet, Yeah yeah, that just sticks out. It does look like army helmet, yeah right exactly. Like you know, I was like, does he feel embarrassed during that? It is amusing to me how much of this film is spent on gwildor doing something and the other characters being like, oh, gwildor.
Speaker 4: That's a lot I know, which he is totally fine.
Speaker 3: I guess he's team WORKO.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, right, because that character was too difficult for them to realize within their budget, I guess.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so too too. Glaring missions are Orco and Battlecat yeah right right, which I suppose we should be grateful they didn't try to put either of them in.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, like these stock images of a tiger that they painted green.
Speaker 3: Right exactly. I don't even know what that would look like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I guess said ghul door does. I mean, the performance is really good, I'm not sure. I'm crazy about the design, Like it sort of looks like a toy that's been partially melted in the sun, you know what I mean, versus like a real distinct, definitive design of like a character.
Speaker 3: There's a bit later where he's like guzzling down barbecue sauce or whatever. Yeah, and I'm just picturing what the actor must have been going through, Yeah, with just just gunk call over his suit. You know.
Speaker 4: I do think about that a lot when you see suits like this and they have hair and sort of fine parts to it, and when they do don't get in a river or they pour barbecue sauce over the beard. I'm like, yeah, it's maybe it's funny, you know in the movie, but like, was that a pain in the butt to yeah, reset and clean up or whatever? Dry clean? I don't know. But Billy Bardy playing Guilder, who I think of as the cameraman from Jeff, I mean, he's in a lot of things, but that's wow.
Speaker 3: I forgot he's in u ahef see. I know him from this and the year after this he was in Willow right right, which that's the that's the other thing because Willow, of course stars Warwick Davis, who was the Leprechaun, which starred Jennifer Aniston. M hm, And so I wonder, like, does Courtney Cox think of this movie in her filmography the way Jennifer Aniston thinks of probably thinks of Leprechaun.
Speaker 4: You know what's funny. I was a little dismayed. I saw an interview with Sarah Jessica Parker and she was being interviewed about all I think it was called Random Rules, and they asked her about Flight of the Navigator, like, Ah, do you have any memories from working on that when you were younger? And she was like like, no, I don't remember that at all. Why would you even.
Speaker 3: Ask me that?
Speaker 4: Like paraphrasing, but she had like kind of a weird attitude about it, And so it's interesting some people want to distance themselves from those things, and you wonder for Courtney Cox, she I don't know, but maybe it's like, hey, yeah, that was exciting. It was a one of my first roles. Well, I think she had done before that was the Bruce Springsteen music video where she's dancing on stage and this well no, that's not true.
Speaker 3: She had been in a television show called Misfits of Science. Oh, okay, well, I mean films, but yeah, yeah, Misfits Science, Yeah, which is I only know this and that was probably like eighty four eighty five, and it starred Dean Paul Martin, who was the son of Dean Martin, okay, and it starred the guy who the guy played the Predator Okay, I forget his name, Paul, yeah, the tall guy yeah, and Max right, okay, right, And basically it was like X Men, but for you know, network television.
Speaker 4: Interesting, okay, and I it was a fun.
Speaker 3: Showed last like thirteen episodes. But I only know it because I saw this in summer of eighty seven. And Courtney Cox is very distinctive. She was speaking of distinctive eyes, right, her eyes stay with me, and I knew her name, and then I came, you know, that was in Edmonton, came back to Saudi Arabia and wouldn't you know they were showing Misfits of Science on TV. I'd never seen it before.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've never heard of it.
Speaker 3: And so summer of eighty seven was when I first saw alf and this, so I knew both Max Right and Courtney Cox because.
Speaker 4: Of this, and that is amazing.
Speaker 3: Kevin Peter Hall, that's the Predator actor's name, okay, right, right, right, Yeah, he passed away shortly. Gosh, I think after the second movie he passed away.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, okay.
Speaker 3: You know about that. He was in like a car accident, I believe, and he was given HIV infected blood.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, heal this but I didn't remember that. Wow, that is sad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Robert, Robert duncan McNeil, he uh just actually, right around the same time Courtney Cox was on Friends, he would star on Star Trek Voyager and oh he did all right there, he's now a TV director. He does pretty well for himself.
Speaker 4: That's great.
Speaker 3: Now. I have to say, both of these actors do a good job with what they're given in this movie.
Speaker 4: I completely agree. They're fun. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Think you know, we were talking about like whether like like Jennifer Anston probably looks back with embarrassment at Leprechaun, and I'm like, well, Courtney Cox, she gets actually a full range of emotion to portray in this film. Sure, yeah, nothing to be embarrassed about. I don't think, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, she does do kind of an old school move. I feel like we don't see much anymore, which is the like standing and screaming and gripping your hair and face thing. I think she gets like a couple of those.
Speaker 3: But like, hey, if if the ghost of your mom turns into evil Lynn, that's what you'd do too, right right.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, going back a little bit, you were talking talking about Dolph Lungern possibly having to have his role or his performance dubbed over by another actor. Yeah, when was the last time something like that has happened, like a major character in the film. I mean, I think of Schwarzenegger in the Hercules movies, right, and like older films. But is that something that's happened in recent memory?
Speaker 3: Not recent recent, but I mean this is not too see Look at that. Look at the barbecue sauce on his chin and stuff. So gross. I know. In Flash Gordon nineteen eighty so too long before this, Sam J. Jones, who plays Flash Gordon, his voice was dubbed. It's a completely dubbed performance.
Speaker 4: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: And then in I believe it was nineteen eighty three or four, there's a movie called Gray Stoke. The Legend of Tarzan, right, which that has Christoph f Lambert as Tarzan. His voice is not dubbed. However, Jane is played by Andy McDowell and her voice is dubbed by Glenn Close.
Speaker 4: I did know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, okay, wait, I want to talk about this scene real quick. Yeah. So we're establishing the people on Eternia are vegetarian, I guess, right, yeah, But here's the thing. Man at Arms is like fully on board. He's like, oh yeah, he knows exactly what. He's like, Oh, that's a rib bone, and he's having a grand old time. So I'm like, well, what is the what is the meal structure on Eternia? Thinking about this, you know what I mean? Maybe he travels.
Speaker 4: He's well traveled, or he was in the military at some point and they, you know, spent time in other worlds, and he knows other cultures that Eternia isn't familiar with.
Speaker 3: I don't know, see the way Tila is like, how could you eat animals? What?
Speaker 2: What? You know?
Speaker 3: Like it's barbaric. But Man at Arms isn't like, well, you gotta do it right, right, He's like, oh, like so in other words, he loves the taste of flesh is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Which is hilarious because I'm thinking like, oh, that sounds so horrifying, but I'm like, wait, no, so do I That is funny though.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've spent a lot of time, like maybe too much time thinking about that again, right, Like in the cartoon show, they're having banquets and they're eating like chicken stuff. There's plenty of drumsticks I've seen in the cartoons, so you know, this is clearly meant to be doing something different.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Like it's showing them as fish out of water, like where they don't know what a cow is. Yeah, you know, and yeah, you know, just looking at this shot in the cemetery and kind of how beautiful it is. I was going to remark earlier, you know, with the limitations we're talking about that this film's working with, I do feel like there's something to be said about the filmmaking, like some good camera work being shot on film, which just gives an cinematic sheen to everything. I feel like a lot of those things, the fact that it's lit well right, you know, go a long way and helping to sell whatever they have to work with here.
Speaker 3: Also, so credit to that. Now, now you have many a time commented and how how one of one of your favorite places in movies is the fantasy outside your window? Mm hmm yep, So so does this tickle your fancy there?
Speaker 4: One hundred percent? I even thought about it. Where you have you know, this futuristic you know, army of like robot soldiers and these floating vehicles marching down a suburban downtown street like that is just chef's kiss for me.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, it would have been nice to see at least a few people on the on said streets.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dropping their shopping bags and be like oh and running away.
Speaker 3: Absolutely No, we needed one guy being like, well that's not something you see every day. That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Wait, so when you were a kid then and you were a huge fan of the cartoon, and then you're getting to see the movie where you disappointed that it didn't, you know, the locations didn't resemble what you were used to from the cartoon.
Speaker 3: See this, This is what's so interesting is that. So yes, I was dare I say, I was probably a he Man fan longer than you by like a year or so, because I got in before the cartoon.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, for sure, And I mean even since, like you've seen all the other ones, and absolutely I look to you as the masters of the universe experts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've said this before. Like, so that first batch of figures, I got them. I didn't even need the cartoon to get me in. I was like three or four, you know, I had he Man skeletor Merman, Man at Arms, beast Man like this is the first wave, right, And then the cartoon started a year or so later. And I remember seeing the cartoon and being like, I didn't think, like, this toy that I played with is a thing on my TV now, Like I've never seen that before, you know. Yeah, but bear in mind, I I during the eighties. What I was used to was this thing that you play with or that you read in a comic or whatever. Never is never like this when you see it on the TV. M. So, yes, there is the Incredible Hulk, but his name is David Banner and his origin is totally different, and he doesn't talk, and and I was just like, well, that's just how it is, right, right. Oh, here's Spider Man on TV, but there's no Uncle Ben and he doesn't swing a lot. And that's just how it is, you know, I mean it's you know, so when I saw this, I was literally I mean I was seven, yeah, and I was like, well, that's just how it is. I was like her, it's really weird. I was like, oh, well, he man doesn't have the furry underwear and the you know, and he's got a cake for some reason. And well that's just how it is, you.
Speaker 4: Know, hard lessons at a young age, it really like.
Speaker 3: And it wasn't even like me being upset. I was like, oh yeah, how else would it be, you know, yeah, yeah yeah, And so I was just like listen, like like here, like right here, we have Skeletor's goon squad, which is composed of who huh and beast Man. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah right. And it's like, well, I'm just glad we got beast Man. I guess. You know. That kind of.
Speaker 4: Reminds me for me, you know, with the the Ninja Turtles movie, right, and You're like, and now let's spend some time with Danny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm like, really, who's Danny? Like seriously?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Like like when when that's actually a great example, like when Ninja Turtles one came out, I don't know, about you. But I was like not even expecting the technodrome or craying, right right right. I was like, of course you're not going to get that, you know. Yeah, And and you know the fact that, like I guess it's like ten years old now, right, they did the sequel Out of the Shadows, the sequel to the Michael Baywin and we got the technodrome and craying in the big suit and whatever. I was like, holy shit, yeah, because we've never seen that before.
Speaker 1: So I.
Speaker 3: Was just like, well, this is just what it is, you know, And I was fine with that. I think I was more disappointed that we never got at that time he Man and Skeletor toys that looked like the he Man and Skeletor in this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was reading about that. Apparently they did make a couple toys they did based on the side characters, but not the movie versions of the main characters.
Speaker 3: That's right, So they did. They had gwildor Blade and Saurod, and I remember those toys because they had the Masters of the Universe packaging, but they had like film strip images.
Speaker 4: I kind of remember this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I guess what I've read is that there was some kind of a rights issue where they didn't make the right deal with William Stout, who's the production designer, to include toys, which seems like kind of a major foul up if if it's a toy based you know, they you know. But I remember, like a year or so after this movie, I mean, this is this movie came out as the as Masters of the Universe was breathing its last right, So about a year or so later you had like I want to say, it was like laser he Man who had like the mullet, like like dolf one Grand and a cape and he looks close ish to the he Man in this movie. That's the closest they got. But by then, I mean, the misfortune about the timing is that there's like a variety of factors. But this one came out right as the toy line was dying out, and I think Mattel, well, I guess Mattel and Cannon, We're both hoping it would reverse their respective fortunes. Right, didn't happen, So it ends up being sort of the one of the last nails. And then like a year later, the Ninja Turtles show up and that's it.
Speaker 4: Then yep, yep, right, and amazing that they have never really gone away.
Speaker 3: That's interesting. I yeah, I Other than there was probably like a five year spell I would say, from like ninety seven to two hm. That was like a right because because you had the original show, which went from like eighty seven to ninety seven or thereabouts, right, and then at some point there was the that live action show. Do you remember that? I do?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, when they had the the female Turtle that's right, Venus de my Lenus yep, yep, yep, yeah, and then and then but it basically went away, and then I think in O two they had that that new series. Yeahah over a Nickelodeon.
Speaker 3: No, No, before the Nickelodeon there was a Nickelodeon had the CG animated one. Okay, but before that there was like it was it was it was before Nickelodeon bought the Turtles anyway, my point, Yeah, you're right, there was like this brief lull, which is simi to what the Transformers had earlier in the nineties. And that's why from them from the eighties you got Transformers and Turtles. Those are the only ones that have like consistently lasted.
Speaker 4: That's really interesting.
Speaker 3: Like he Man. If not for he Man, you don't get g I Joe, you don't get Transformers, you don't get Turtles because he wrote he Man wrote the playbook, right, you have a toy line, you come up with the animated thing, and then bah blah blah blah. This fight scene that's coming up here, by the way, I really like it. It's shot, well, you got these great kind of you know, the red and the light, the red and the green lights.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying, right, I mean, if this was shot for twenty dollars, it sure doesn't look like it, you know, I mean, because it's executed well.
Speaker 3: Well, I think what helps is that the people making it weren't looking down on it. They were and it's not like they were coming at it as fans necessarily because they weren't. It's not like they grew up with It's not like Travis Knight making this new one right right, right, who's like part of the he Man generation. But you know, Gary Godter talked about how, you know, he got the gig because he had done the like the Conan Stunt Show for Universal. Oh interesting, right, and he was at the time he was developing Captain Power for Mattel Oh wow, okay, which that show started in fall of eighty seven, so shortly after this movie came out. But he talked about it. He was inspired by you know, Frank Frizetta paintings and like, and he's actually said the the the Fourth World characters from d C that Jack Kirby creates, like dark Side and and and you know Oryan and all that. You know, and you've seen dark Side, right, Like that's basically what Skeletor is doing. You talk about Doctor Doom. How Skeletor is like a Doctor Doom totally very you can very much see that. Uh. And so my point is like he he was still trying to he he wasn't looking down on it, like for example, you know, you know Richard Lester doing Superman sequels. Yeah, yeah, yeah, where it's clear that he was like, well, I can't take any of this seriously, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's winking a little bit.
Speaker 3: Winking exactly like I think this fight sequence is good.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's interesting is that initially they had been Mattel basically had veto power over over I need decisions, right, So they're like, well, he Man can't hurt anybody or kill anybody. Sure, and Goddard is like, well, Jesus Christ, what we're supposed to do? You know? Yeah, and that's why they came up with the Black Stormtrooper. Guys, yeah, there are robots, I guess right, yeah, they're robots, so you know. And and then everybody looks at it and they're like, oh, it's a Star Wars rip off. And He's like, I didn't want to put I didn't want to put them in there.
Speaker 4: You know, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean you do feel intentional or not a real Star Wars influence.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean that That's the funny thing is that Star Wars is itself partly the origin of Masters in the Universe as a concept. Sure, because Lucasfilm went to Mattel first and for the toys back in the seventies, and Mattel is like, the hell is this right? Get out it, get out of here, close the door behind you. They said, probably, you know, and then cut to nine months later they're like huh yeah, yeah, so they were like chasing that dragon, right, and so's they were. They were literally like, why are we trying to license something that we hope will be the next Star Wars. Want we just create our own thing and then roll the dice. And so that's what leads to Masters of the Universe. And that's all in the documentary, I'm sure, which is very interesting. I definitely, Oh it's worth watching. Yeah, And so this is like ten years later, and it's just weird, right, how all it all intersects. You cannot disentangle Star Wars from the breadth of eighties pop culture totally. Everything is either trying to be it or trying not to be it right.
Speaker 4: Right, and this is only four years after Return of the Jedi, I know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were commercials, like certainly in the UK where it's like the Star Wars of the eighties. I'm like, well, we already had the Star Wars of the eighties. Yeah. Star Wars is Star Wars of the eighties. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Which, by the way, from that last battle, I was thinking this the other night watching this. Say what you will about special effects from the seventies or eighties, they yeah, from the beginning, really nailed blaster fire. Yeah, it looks great in Star Wars. It looks great in this movie. Something about the way that it actually looks like it's in the environment and the speed that it's going from the gun to its target. Yeah, they've always been really good at that.
Speaker 3: Well, and this is something you and I talked about just recently. But animated lightning. Yes, there's plenty of animated lightning in this movie, and I'm all about that. Yeah, me too.
Speaker 4: Now this is cool effect too, by the way, I mean just this, I agree, little fireworks display over the the key. And by the way, look usually in a special effects shot like that in the eighties, the visual is a little degraded because they've had to, like you know, optically put the effect on it and reprint the frame and all that stuff. But that was really clean and I was really admiring that, and the and the shot earlier with Courtney Cox too when they're using the key.
Speaker 3: Well, this is something you know. Richard Edlind who did the effects, he mastered the effects on sixty five, so they are high, high resolution. Yeah, and talk about forward thinking. Yeah, it looks great because you don't see a degradation whenever we switched to these effects shots totally. And I also noticed, especially on the one with the guy in Courtney Cox, the light was dancing on their faces, so someone in the location thought to put some sort of little strobe effect on their face so it looks like the you know, they're actually interacting with the effect, which is really smart. Okay, so here, So so Julie has been a couple of things here actually, like what are they doing at the gym where it's like a sound check where nobody's there, and he's like, I'm gonna do this thing now. Bear in mind he's gonna he's his Julie is leaving like tomorrow, right, yes, so you're telling me, bro can't wait like a day to have this synthesizer quote unquote looked at right, They as to leave his girlfriend there. But but so she's being chased by these weirdos in various stages of undress and then he man shows up and and he's like trust me, and I'm like, well why, I mean, he looks just like those other guys.
Speaker 4: I was thinking that too, Like she's very like immediately like sure, and then just kind of hugging him and feeling, you know, protected by him. But I was like, yeah, if I saw anybody look like they stepped out of a science fiction story at this.
Speaker 3: Point, Like you see him standing next to Blade. Yeah, I don't know. They both look like they're on the same team if you don't know any better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: We know what they're doing here. Yeah, so James Tolkien, now this is this is a year after Top Gun and two years after Back to the Future. So my man's having a moment. Yep. And what I love is that he's playing this like hard as nails. Brooklyn, cop in like the most quiet town in America.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like southern California suburbs.
Speaker 3: Do we even know that this is California?
Speaker 4: Well no, but I just yeah, they never say, right. It is very funny though, Yeah, yeah, his accent.
Speaker 3: And what's funny to me is like I feel like this character lubic, like he's got some kind of an arc that they just missed out on. Yeah.
Speaker 4: You could get that sense throughout the whole movie that there's probably a lot more that they wanted to do, but they just couldn't budget it, so they whittled it down to what they absolutely could carry out.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I oh, I definitely agree with that. I think that, uh, they were probably very happy to get him because he was a pretty familiar face and he'd been in some pretty big deal movies. I just say the first time I saw him was in this because I saw both Back to the Future and Top Gun after this. So to me, he's not mister Strickland. He's lubic.
Speaker 4: Oh that's really funny. Well, and for him, I mean he always plays like a certain type, right, I mean he's very memorable in BacT.
Speaker 3: To this place James Tolkien type.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he probably has about a minute of screen time, right, he just makes a big impact. But in this, as far as I have seen, this is his media's role.
Speaker 3: He gets the most to do. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of fun watching him do his thing and actually play a character, see, not like a type.
Speaker 3: What strikes me is they should have done like they should have done like a like a Chief Brody thing where he's like afraid of aliens or something, and then now he's going to live with them exactly right, like like that's yeah. They kind of allude to it a little bit where it's he's talking to these other cops and they're like, oh, not agandalubic or something. Maybe he's like he's got this thing about aliens and you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sort of like the Randy Quaid character in Independence day, like exactly, you had an experience that he can't explain and people are tired of hearing about it.
Speaker 3: But because his ending in the movie makes like not even a little bit of sense he's been there. I mean, like I don't we'll feel like there's a well, we'll get there, we'll get it.
Speaker 4: But it makes me laugh, Like if you're writing this movie's wavelength, you know, it's really funny. See this is like there's not like a ton on the page necessarily, but this moment between Skeletor and Evil Lynn and just in her eyes, like how she really admires him and but he treats her so badly, And yeah, her little arc sort of silent, but her arc with him sort of turning on him a bit.
Speaker 3: Dude, she does even weight to turn on him. That's that's also really funny.
Speaker 4: But look at the way she's looking at him and then she kind of like this, they're just bringing so much.
Speaker 3: You know, I agree with that well. And Meg Foster is interesting because like she talked about how the armor thing that they gave her was so uncomfortable that it sort of arched her back in a specific way. And yet like that really does add to, so there's like a regalness to her gait totally. You know. Yeah, So here I'm wondering why they killed off like the cooler looking a mercenary guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, sort of he doesn't look like him necessarily, but sort of like a general grievous type of Yeah, expect to like part robot, part organic, kind of.
Speaker 3: Like a like a lizard guy. Yeah, Like, what's that guy's deal? Then?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Just because I remember watching this in the theater and definitely going, oh yeah. One of my clearest memories of seeing this in the theater I was I was seven going on eight, so my brother would have been, you know, twelve gone on thirteen, and we were in Edmonton and my uncle dropped us off at the movie theater and just left, which I think about to this day. I'm like, I would never in a million years do that.
Speaker 4: That's how it used to be, though, I mean, that's how it was right when we'd be like seven or something, you drop us off at the theater to go watch The Lamb Before Time or something exactly.
Speaker 3: And I would like, it's just so weird. I'm like, are we more paranoid now? Or were we not paranoid enough then.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I remember a kid sitting in the row in front of me, and he must have been five ish, probably he was younger for sure, And at one point in the movie he goes, he man is the bestest man, and I remember being like, oh, this young pup. I love his youthful enthusiasm, you know, because I'm like seven, right right? That is lit.
Speaker 4: It's amazing you remember that to this day.
Speaker 3: I was. I was just talking about that with Amana. I was like, what a weird thing to have such a specific recollection, But I remember that very he man is the bestest man.
Speaker 4: But yeah, the evil in moment. I like where she and then he just kind of shoves her and like you're going too, and she's like, well, I wasn't suggested that he's spoken. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 4: I like that dynamic between them. It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I certainly love Langella's skeletor of voice. I'm glad they didn't try to do Alan Oppenheimer's you know, high pitched thing. Oh sure, relationship. I don't think that would have worked.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It is interesting as well that they didn't incorporate the Prince Adam thing, Like you'd think that that would have been a good way to, like when he's on Earth, have him blend in or something, you know, mm hmmmm hmm.
Speaker 4: I mean, just there's so much going on in this movie and even having to explain there's this other world but they can come to Earth because of a key, and there's this castle that the these two people are battling, like, it's just maybe too many things going on. Yeah, to introduce the fact that he has a secret identity.
Speaker 1: And.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a pretty terrible secret identity when you really think about it, because it's just he takes his shirt off and suddenly nobody knows what happened to Adam. Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I rewatched the pilot of the cartoon show because I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and just in preparation for this, and it was fun to go back.
Speaker 3: And like, what was what was the episode?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 4: I mean Skeltor wants to take over?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Like it's like I don't even remember, but it's a lot of you know, the parents, like, oh, there goes Prince Adam running away from danger again. Yeah, and then he becomes he Man, and you know it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Janky. Yeah, but I.
Speaker 4: Totally see why I liked it. It's fun, you know, it's the colors are fun, the characters are fun, orco is fun.
Speaker 3: Like, I totally get why I loved.
Speaker 4: It as a kid.
Speaker 3: Well, and I mean it was a phenomenon, right, Yeah, I mean that that's the thing, this idea of a Monday through Friday series that was based on a toy that had not happened until Masters the Universe. Yeah, and you know that, like it's so funny because we look back at the eighties and at least for me, I know, you know, between he Man and Transformers and g I Joe, Like that's my childhood. And now as an adult, I'm like, god, damn, that's cynical these products. Yeah yeah, it's like just just toy commercial after toy commercials. But as a kid, I'm like, it meant so much to me. So I have this this I have like such a bipolar relationship with this stuff.
Speaker 4: I understand what you're saying, and you're not entirely wrong, probably, but it did engage with your imagination, Yeah, you know what I mean, Like it did involve you, which is kind of a special thing.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the funny thing because these shows all ended this was He Man and g I Joe, right, they would end with the lesson you know, yes, yeah, yeah, yeah, and you know with he Man, you know it would be like in today's episode, skeletor lied about what he was going to do. You shouldn't lie or Whatever's.
Speaker 4: That's basically what the first one is. It's like, do things the right way, you don't need to lie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, dude, I love this. By the way, we just stay on this shot of James Tolkien going through the whole gamut of reactions. I'm like, did you just not get a cut away? That's hilarious. He's like, that's exactly it.
Speaker 4: By the way, I was laughing when he had the chicken, He's like eating this chicken.
Speaker 3: I was like, all right, what what's this? Is this like an acting thing?
Speaker 4: Like you just want something to within his hands and he's like, now I'm gonna warm this up in the microwave and then we can do what we need to do next. And I was like, what is happening? And then the fact that that's the interference for a moment where the bad guys can't track the key.
Speaker 3: I was like, ah, I like that. It's just funny.
Speaker 4: The way that it plays out is just very funny. Yeah, but yeah, you know, it just occurred to me. I'd never really seen Tolkien like have a whole role that he gets to play with an arc I haven't. I mean, there's probably other movies I haven't seen, but.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he he I mean, you know, in Back to the Future, basically what he's in like one scene really, I.
Speaker 4: Mean yeah, yeah, the beginning right where he gives them the tardy.
Speaker 3: And then we see and then and then later in when Marty is in the past.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, oh yeah in the hallway with the dad and then oh well breaking up the fight and then putting his hands over his ears, and I'd be total, that's probably about a minute.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that's I mean, he he played a type and he did a he did a good job embodying that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And I guess that's what's kind of funny about it is he's just always hard ass, you know, with the capital H so here it's kind of funny seeing him act like a hard ass. But like you said, have these police officers not believe him about something. I'm like, oh, that's I've not seen him have to like defend himself before, right, you know. But yeah, seeing these kinds of things bust down a house in the suburbs.
Speaker 3: Is like sick. But when when Kevin sees the beast Man, his first reaction is get out of here, get out of here, yeah, which strikes me out a little bit, right, Like I'd be like, what the hell, what the hell?
Speaker 4: That would be the thing, right, Yeah, yeah, Yeah, that's hilarious. I don't know what to say about that. That's you're right, You're right.
Speaker 3: He's like, get out of here, get out of here. I'm like, that's odd. How about that?
Speaker 4: It'd be funny if he threw the chicken at him. He's like, ah, it's been heated up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why you put it in the microwave. Well, because earlier in the movie, Julie throws the ammonia at him. Yeah, He's like, ah, it's just he's just like he's just susceptible to earth, you know. Products. Yeah, so he should say the Anthony Delongus, who plays Blade, he's also the fight choreographer for this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he does the sword play for skeletor right at the end, Yeah, at the end.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But he's also got a great look as Blade. I think he's a cool character. Yeah, totally. And he can act mm hmm, yeah, hmmm. Is this something that might come into play later?
Speaker 4: This looks pretty good too, by the way, this hologram, Yeah, I feel like she even.
Speaker 3: Yeah good, no, no, no, I finished your thought.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, no, no, no, actually good.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm just looking at the state of this house and I'm like, this is Julia's house, and isn't she leaving like tomorrow?
Speaker 4: Don't be You're right, she's not done packing.
Speaker 3: She hasn't done anything.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm maybe they'll be movers.
Speaker 3: I suppose. But you'd think she'd be better equipped after her parents died suddenly in a plane crash to get on with her life, right, one would think. But it was the eighties, you know, I think I have to give it up to that as well, that that's a fairly dark plot element. Yeah, And you know movies in the eighties that were ostensibly aimed at kids, they would do that. They would just have like parental death, Yeah, just like layered in and it was fine.
Speaker 4: Well, and this character believes it's her fault.
Speaker 3: That's true. Yeah, that's extra dark.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, this stuff is cool, like that crazy Star Wars looking ship on a front lawn.
Speaker 3: But there is literally nobody in this town. Yeah, like like I mean, there's there's like there's our two people, there's Charlie and Lubick. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very odd. Yeah. By the way, uh, I think you mentioned earlier that the poster for this was done by Drew Strews and Drew Strews and gorgeous. It's a hell of a poster, man, it looks dazzling poster. Yeah, well that makes the movie look like fifty million bucks.
Speaker 3: I mean I remember seeing that in theaters, you know. Yep, I remember when this movie was coming out actually, because there used to be a magazine called called he Man in the Master's Universe Magazine. It was just like a bimonthly thing for kids about about, you know, he Man, the toys and stuff. And there was an issue with the with the other theatrical poster for this, with with Dolph Lungern as he Man, and I remember seeing that at a jewel or whatever and and just being like, oh, it's just a guy dressed like he man, like, I didn't realize there was a movie. Oh okay. And my brother who was again he was the arbiter of what is and isn't true. He had the wisdom of five years ahead of me. Yeah, right, right right. He's like, no, man, that's a movie. There's a movie come out. I'm like, get out of here. I was like, you know, your buzz aldrink, get out of here. I was like that, that's a Punky Brewster reference kids. And then you know, I saw the TV spots and stuff, and so for me again, it was just something like wow, I never thought there would be a he Man movie kind of thing, you know. Yeah, So I was just I was just tickled by its mere existence. And and you know, you see that drew S Drews and poster and you're like, man, they're they're doing it for real, you know, mm hmmm.
Speaker 4: Same artists who was making the Star Wars posters exactly.
Speaker 3: Right, and the Indiana Jones one and two posters up to this point. Up to this point. But in addition to that, you have this Bill Kantis score, and Bill Kanty is clearly doing like a very transparent Superman slash Star Wars pastiche with his music. But it's freaking great, dude, it works totally. He I mean it's it's an impressively robust score for a movie like this.
Speaker 4: I completely agree. Yeah, you know, you know he did the Rocky scorer karate Kid. By the way, I just texted you something. That's what I remember from when this movie came out. There used to be a Muppet magazine and they would have a can you see it?
Speaker 3: Yes? I can't, oh I.
Speaker 4: They would have a poster in each magazine, and for when this movie came out, they had a poster of Kermit dressed up as he Man.
Speaker 3: Dressed up as Dolph on Gren's he Man. Yeah, and I remember as a kill it included.
Speaker 4: I thought that was hysterical and I've never forgotten it, and so it's too funny. Yeah, but yeah, somehow I missed it. I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: You know, it's funny.
Speaker 4: You got the gwildor thing where he's real quick.
Speaker 3: By the way, so right here where Lubik's like the mountain came to my hammet. I had never heard that phrase before.
Speaker 4: I didn't even notice it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, these guys show up and he said, what looks like the mountain came to mahammet right.
Speaker 4: No, that's funny.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that before, and have you heard it since or is that just like I've heard it enough to know it's a thing. But I feel like if if I feel like if I were to say that, people would be like, what do you I don't know what that means? You're right right, right right?
Speaker 4: You know that's like when I you know, there's a bear poop in the woods or whatever that expression is. Like I heard it once in a movie and I thought it was just silly for the movie, and then I learned that was an actual expression. I was like, Okay, we all knew this. We got the guildor you know, I think this is kind of like the post et thing, like it's funny we put these little creatures in like drag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then he shows up and he goes, oh, quilldoor, O.
Speaker 4: Guilled door, and it's funny, like why did he do that? Like if there's everything's urgent? Was he just in a closet like oh, this is fun put like a boa around his neck and yeah.
Speaker 3: As was the style at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it adds some fun comedy, but.
Speaker 3: See again, The absolute lack of any earth life on this street is like hugely distracting to me now as an adult.
Speaker 4: It would be nice if they could have hired just like ten people to just sort of be on the sidewalks and then flee.
Speaker 3: Just give it some life for God's sake.
Speaker 4: You know, it might even make more impact that way if you saw that this was bustling. But they have now cleared right right the street.
Speaker 3: You know, I definitely remember at that moment where he man says, how are you feeling in Man at Arms says, I'm feeling hungry. I remember laughing history I was slapping my knee that Man at Arms. I didn't know hunger was his thing, but this movie has clarified that for me. That is hilarious. I do. I do like John Ciphers as Man at Arms in this He's got to look you know, he's got a.
Speaker 4: Real dad vibe, right, you know, Yeah, maybe it's because it's kind of what my dad looked like in the eighties, like the mustache, and yeah, we at least you get this guy, right, the shop owner. Yeah, someone who's not involved with the adventure but gets to react to how crazy it is.
Speaker 3: We just need him to say, well, that just happened. Yeah, that's all that's missing. Really.
Speaker 4: It's funny you talking about that hungry line making you laugh as a kid because it's unexpected. It's like irreverent, not something you would expect a character in a movie like this to say. And it's funny how that's become the humor now. Is that's so true saying the irreverent thing, like almost to the point where I can sense it coming and I'm sort of like, nah, I'm really enjoying this moment. Don't don't break.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's just play it straight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, Yeah, let's enjoy this being an emotional moment. We don't have to like subvert it or undercut it. That's kind of the trick, right, Like how do you how do you balance that, like little little incorporating humor in a way that doesn't undercut drama, you know, And I feel like a lot of films these days have have an issue with that, which is, you know, with this film broadly, I appreciate that it stays consistent within its tone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it totally does. Man. I think I think that helps.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean the scene coming up in a little bit where where Julie. You know, she she hands the cosmic key over to evil in right, and it's easy to watch them be like, you, stupid idiot, why would you think that's your dead mom? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And I always look at that and I'm like, well, you have to look at it as like how a kid would would perceive this totally totally right, Like, you know, it doesn't have to make sense purely, but like on an emotional level, you can sort of understand where the character's coming from.
Speaker 4: And maybe the execution's a little a little hokey hoky or something, but I on the page or the concept I love. Actually that's a really sad thing, right for her desperately hoping that she is seeing her mother again, but she's really being tricked by the bad guy.
Speaker 3: Right. Oh, so so we haven't mentioned at all Chelsea Field. It plays Tila. Yes, I love her in this movie. She's great. I mean, you know, I know she's she's done a whole bunch of stuff, but I kind of wish she had done more. I think she's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I looked her up afterwards because I didn't really know who she was, and I agree, she's got like a fun energy and like they have Like that's what I do like, even if it feels a little corny times, is that she and he man and Man at Arms have a rapport, right, you know, yeah, like they do this stuff some history.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly. Well, she's got this bit right here where she just kind of looks just past camera and goes woman at arms, which is like so odd to me, Like like, I'm glad she gets that moment, but I'm like, does that for people like what you know, because I don't you know what I mean, Like, we don't hit that her dad is Man at arms. They don't really underscore.
Speaker 4: That, yeah, or like she's living in her dad's shadow or something, right, you know, yeah, yeah, yeah. Although it was funny because I didn't remember that and it kind of made me laugh. But you know me, I'm a sucker for people breaking the fourth wall.
Speaker 3: I love it.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it just always gets me and it rarely makes me think you shouldn't have done that. I'm almost always like, oh, I love that you did that. Like right recently was send Help with Rachel McAdams when she's in the camera. I was like, I love it. Doesn't it doesn't ruin the movie. It makes it better. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: Oh, and Chelsea field Worth mentioning she is missus Scott Bacula.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, so good for him. Yeah, you know, it's funny. You mentioned that we were texting about it yesterday and I googled one of them I don't know, and it brought up like a video of the two of them recently talking about a play that they're going to be in together. Oh nice, and they just look older and happy and sweet, and it just really warmed my heart seeing them together all these years later and just looking like a happy That's funny.
Speaker 3: I saw I saw something similar. It was a video of Mark Harmon and Pam Dauber. Who oh okay, I mean they've been married since forever, right, yeah, and yeah they're just like this older couple now, you know. Yeah, I mean like Mark Harmon at this point is far removed from like the early days of ncis even, right, I Mean, he's like an old guy now, and so it's just it's it's like, oh, yeah, yeah, it's been it's been a while, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's nice.
Speaker 3: See. I mean this moment again, look at it from a kid's perspective, right, what's the worst thing you can think of when you're a little kid, right, losing your parents exactly, right, And so to have the possibility of them being back, I mean it is it's like a nightmare, you know. So you're not like, no, that's evil, Lynn, you know, I mean you are like that probably, but but you imagine being seven, right, well you can exactly.
Speaker 4: But I like the actress too. By the way, she's doing a great job. She feels very motherly, but also the whole you know, or she's like betraying what's really underneath, like go get that key to me, you know, it's it's easy.
Speaker 3: Well her explanation too, it's like, I'm sorry, we couldn't tell you we were doing like secret government stuff. You went with.
Speaker 4: That's actually though I was a kid, I'd be like, well that makes sense that tracks.
Speaker 3: My parents are spies, of course. I mean, that's what they did with Peter Parker in the in the Amazing Spider Man movies, right, yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually I was just thinking that, so you know what it is. I think there's a little bit in the execution here, probably because they didn't have time for multiple takes or angles or whatever. But I think if you showed Courtney Cox's character go in that room and like, I the key and really think about it and moll over it and wrestle with it for a moment. It said, she just kind of like in one big wide shot, she just kind of flipped it up, like goes in and takes it and walks out, and it feels a little like, what are you doing?
Speaker 3: Well? The other thing is I feel like, once she realizes that's not her mom, instead of just standing there, she should have there should have been something preventing her from following evil. Then yeah, sure, sure, sure, sure, you know, like a force field or something.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So so he Man is rocking a pistol or two in this movie, which you know was not the case. I couldn't remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's another thing that I sort of attributed to the Star Wars E.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the the og toy he came with with the with half the power sword, right and then a shield. See, the original original mythology was he Man had one half of the power sword, Skeletor had the other half, and if you put the two swords together, you can open Castle Gray Sculpe. They left that way behind. Mm. But in this movie, it's like he uses the guns to you know, attack people and the sword as a shield. M Yeah, which feels like maybe not the most practical use of of what you got. I guess. Swords are tricky.
Speaker 4: It makes me think of the Ninja turtles, right, Like you can't show your hero slicing and dicing people, that's right, you know.
Speaker 3: So they have to be used as Yeah, that was the issue, is that, Like I said, initially, Gary Goddard is told, hey, no, you know, you can't can't kill or hurt anybody. And then while they're making the movie, the sales chart just keeps dropping and dropping in real time for he Man toys. Yeah. So then they come back they're like, listen, if you want him to just like murder everybody, that's totally fine with those like whatever you gotta do.
Speaker 4: Oh, because it doesn't matter anymore. What else they want do?
Speaker 3: What you gotta do? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, yeah, I see. If you want to have him like eating people's entrails, whatever, it takes mine and he's like, well we're done now, so thanks anyway, you jackasses the right, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I was sad that the sword didn't look like the sword I knew from the cartoon. It's so distinctive, right, Like it just looks like a sword you could get at like a shop in Las Vegas.
Speaker 3: You know, like that's it. You know they did the you know, a couple of years after the original toy line ended, they did. They brought it back, or they attempted to, but it was just called he Man. Do you remember this? I do.
Speaker 4: I remember what they looked like, but I didn't watch it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The cartoon show was called The New Adventures of he Man, and that was not by filmation. It was by a French company. And he Man's sort I mean it's supposed to be the same power sort it looks totally different. Yeah, and that was like a sci fi show. Yeah right right. He Man's wearing pants in that one, which is which is goddamn heresy. I'll look at it.
Speaker 4: The frame is flipped. You see that. How funny the shops were backwards?
Speaker 3: Wow, I did not catch that.
Speaker 4: You know, this hoverboard stuff looks a little janky, but like it's cool. It's a concept. I wish they could have figured out how to nail it a little better, but like I like it. I think it's a good action sequence.
Speaker 3: I I think there's something about knowing that it's still an actual thing on top of an actual thing that sort of, at least for me, my brain sort of slots into just just going with it, where like Janky CG. I'm not able to do that as easily. Yeah, No, I agree. I agree.
Speaker 4: The I don't know, the tangibility of it goes a long way for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean I'm sort of repeating myself now, but just seeing like a camera boom up from like a Hallmark store to Skeletor. Yeah, like riding this like big space vehicle is just like delights every part of my brain.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's good. I love this here where I mean, he's so mean to evil Lynn, Yeah, throughout the movie, and so it's it's the least surprising thing in the movie when she's just like, all right, we're out of here, when she just like leaves him to be defeated.
Speaker 4: You know, they talk about like a lot of guys have these moments like ten fifteen years later where they realize a woman had been flirting with them but they didn't know it in the moment. Do you think Skeletor like ten years later, like in the middle of then I was like, wait a minute, I think people in liked me. Oh, it goes on Facebook, seems the beacon finder just really tries to wish her a happy birthday, Tarkanna.
Speaker 3: Her status as it's complicated, and he's like there's a chance, or it's like back in the my space days, he pokes are just like hoping. No, poking was a Facebook thing? Oh was that Facebook?
Speaker 4: That was Facebook?
Speaker 3: Okay, you never got poked on Facebook? I did, well.
Speaker 4: I remember that happening and even think he was weird in the moment.
Speaker 3: But like, you don't know what you're supposed to do about it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's poking. You're just like, okay, he poked back, you know, and then they poke you and you poke back.
Speaker 3: Now. Now, these these hoverboard things, I think they're cool looking. Yeah, agree, But I questioned the practicality, Like I don't know what kind of maneuverability you're able to really have on them, right, because it's like it's like a manhole cover that you're standing up.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I feel like you can fall off pretty easy, right, And there's no like footholds, I don't think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, it's just like a it's like a there's nothing. I mean, it doesn't seem practical, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, even the hoverboards and Back to the Future have like little slip grip for your yeah, well and then something you can slip your foot through to be fixed to it.
Speaker 3: So this shot right here, I kind of love how how how low fi it is, right the shot where we right.
Speaker 4: Here, Yeah yeah, yeah, he's like probably in the back of a pickup truck.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, exactly, you know, and I'm like, no, he's not, He's on a hoverboard.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, No, it's great, right, yeah, I mean, this is a cool sequence.
Speaker 3: And I's got that key. Look at that.
Speaker 4: Well, I would kind of like to watch it behind the scenes and see what that is. I mean, are those just two models, like little miniature sort of things that they just sort of are dancing around like.
Speaker 3: For the wider shots, Yeah, yeah, I think so. Because they look a little stiff.
Speaker 4: I think it would go a long way if they could have made it look a little bit less like a thing on a rod that they're passing across the screen right right, right, if there's a little bit more like the character was reacting and a little bit more bounce to it or something. But yeah, I mean, no complaint. I'm just thinking I think they did a good job with what they had. By the way, that reminds me. Did you see that they're putting out a special four K of this and it's going to have like not only a bunch of features, but it's going to have a preview cut.
Speaker 3: I may need to order that copy.
Speaker 4: I would really like to watch that. I would like to see what was cut from this. And that's like becoming a thing now, right, all these preview cuts are getting unearthed. Did you hear about We didn't talk about it, but there was a two and a half hour Gremlins cut that was screened recently.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Yeah, which sounds probably about about forty five minutes too long, probably probably.
Speaker 4: I mean, I wonder if it actually feels like an overly long movie or just like a ton of stuff they shot and just kind of tape together. And right, I don't know, the Batman Forever, Right, isn't that one also marker cut?
Speaker 3: Yeah? That one I'm desperate to see.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: Now, this is hilarious to me that Skeletor just sneaks up on them in this freaking goddamn The Titanic.
Speaker 4: That's like that thing where like a helicopter always appears out of nowhere in a movie.
Speaker 3: It's like, how do you not hear that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like there standing at a cliff and then suddenly like it appears, but you would hear like while, yeah, it's no way it sneaks up, you know what movies.
Speaker 3: So we were talking about Skeletor earlier. I was reading about how Franklin Angela initially was like really into the idea of dressing like the Skeletor from the Toy Slash cartoon, you know, so he'd be wearing like a you know, like a revealing harness, like like he man.
Speaker 4: Has maybe like bare chested with like something strapped over right.
Speaker 3: And and and Gary Goddard was like, no, no, we can't have a sexy Skeletor, to which I say, why the hell not?
Speaker 4: I why not?
Speaker 3: Why not? But but I will say I first, I think I think Skeletor's costume is pretty bad ass in this, but I think it's pretty menacing. And it really is. And and I was, I was, Uh. I saw an interview with I think it was with Williams stopped talking about how he how Langella worked with them to figure out the exact way the cloak should look and and in such a way that he can sling it over his shoulder and all this stuff. And it's very theatrical, very Doctor Doom. You know. I think it holds up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally.
Speaker 3: And and actually I really like the he Man costume in this. I think I think the armor is a very natural live action translation of you know, the toy and the and the cartoon. I agree.
Speaker 4: I mean, what we're seeing from the twenty twenty six Masters of the Universe, which looks more like the cartoon, looks very cool. But I can see, especially I don't know, him wandering around Earth and everything without those things on his shoulders, he might just feel more exposed, like just like a guy running around in his underwear. Yeah, like it helps, it adds some sort of.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Yeah, I mean, as far as what they have he Man wearing here, it's like a leather thong. Yeah, So I don't know how comfortable dolphone Gren felt.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a couple of times where it literally feels like he's wandering around in a speedo and yeah, you just gotta wonder how that.
Speaker 3: I mean, you have a body like that.
Speaker 4: I'd do it too, but like you gotta wonder, like being on a set, you know, with all these people if Yeah, there were some times he felt self conscious.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's why he has the cape, like just make him feel slightly more covered.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even just yeah, the shoulder pads, right, it looks more. Even that alone makes it feel more like a costume than a guy that just came out of the pool.
Speaker 3: That's true. I mean that that itself is fascinating that the the movie came with Lundgrend like he was part of the deal and so they did sort of have to work around him. But Mattel had been trying for a couple of years to get this movie made and the big studios were hesitant. And then Cannon is like, hey, uh, if you pay for half, we'll pay for half, and Mattel's like, sounds great, little realizing that this is this is not the company to make that kind of a bed with because they they gave their half, and then when it came time for Cannon to pony up there half, they're like, oh, yeah, we don't have it. By the way, So there was nearly no ending for this movie.
Speaker 4: I mean they did like shut down at one point, right, that's right, yeah, yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: Just had to be like.
Speaker 4: They had more elaborate things in mind, but then they just had Okay, this is all you got left. You got to finish this thing now. Yeah, be stressful. Can you imagine?
Speaker 3: I can't. That's why so I'm glad I'm not a film director. Yeah, now I have to say it. There is an inordinate amount of time in this movie where Skeletor wants this scantily dressed man to kneel and be his slave, and well, there you go. That's why he's not paying attentioned to Evil in Sometimes the subtext is very loud.
Speaker 4: Well do you think Evil in ten years from now was in bed and woke up and went.
Speaker 3: Oh, now I get it. Yeah, this looks.
Speaker 4: Cool, doesn't it. The marching back into that portal, that looks good.
Speaker 3: That's what I'm saying, right, Like, there's enough work on the on the effect sequences where where if you didn't know any better, you'd be like, hey, they spent some money on this, and by the way, I mean twenty two million in nineteen eighty seven. That's not chump change.
Speaker 4: I mean Star Wars, not that long ago or ten years earlier, was made for seventeen million.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, actually, what's their excuse? Now I'm just true, So here you go. Yeah, now the police are ribbing him.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, like make that a runner? Yeah, yeah, because it's it's clearly like he's like a big city cup. He is Chief Brody and for some reason he's here in the middle of nowhere. So Brody was afraid of water. Lubick's got his thing that he's afraid of is disgusting, you know, space viruses like whatever Julie has.
Speaker 4: By the way, Yeah, I was like, I assume there would be, you know, some sort of gnarly sort of thing. But I was like, what is that? The designers went nuts on that on her leg wound?
Speaker 3: And yet doesn't that feel very of its era? Like wait, what do you mean? It just feels like what we would see in movies like I mean that we're talking about Gremlins. Doesn't I feel like something you would have seen it in Gremlins?
Speaker 4: Definitely looks yeah, grimliny. Yeah, there were a lot more, I guess practical makeup effects people and getting to show off and do all sorts of things. Yeah, and then you get another Like it is kind of funny seeing I have to imagine a lot of these popular movies in this moment, we're seeping into their head.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: You get like ET with the.
Speaker 4: Dress and the wig on and grilled or earlier. And then we get this device that looks like ET's communication device, you know, set up right here, and of course the Star Wars of it. But as a kid, that would have been really fun for me because I would be like, oh, it's tapping into all the stuff I love.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, that's I mean, that's the thing, right, Like for a lot of these you know, it was like, well, this is our shot and let's put on a show. Yeah, and they're and they're pulling from all of their influences and stuff. Like I said, I mean, I mean for this film, like obviously ET was recent enough. I'm sure that factored in. How could it not have. Yeah, but you get like this Jack Kirby influence. You know, you had Mobius doing the some of the costume designs, and you know, and it's like I appreciate the fact that that everyone leaned in and and and they made a movie that that is far from perfect, just to be clear. But I think when we watch it nearly forty years later, that earnestness, at least to me, stands out. And that's I can view it through that lens and be like, well, I appreciate that they're just trying to put on a.
Speaker 4: Show, definitely, which I have something to say about that, But I want to point this out before it ends. If we see another wide shot the street behind them, there's just this fog consistently rolling down the street and a light that's placed there to illuminate the flaw fog that's giving it like sort of a blue illumination kind of thing. And I'm just like, someone thought to put a machine down there, someone thought let's put the light there, Like they really composed an image, yeah, you know, And I just I don't know, looking at it, I'm like, it really makes what could just be sort of a static shot of these people around a fountain feel like it's breathing. So I don't know, I just want it's.
Speaker 3: A good observation. Yeah, It's just I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't feel like enough of that detail gets considered or thought thought of these days.
Speaker 3: Actually, while we're while we're talking about this specific sequence here, there's a moment right here where where Guildor is telling Kevin, oh, help me come up with the key, and Kevin's like, look, I'm just a guy in a high school band. There's a million of me, and Guildor says something very nice. He says, only one of you, Kevin, only one of anybody? What a nice I mean, like, what a nice sentiment, especially for a little kid watching this absolute yeah, you know, yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: I love it. And it's oh see look see that smoke and fall. Yeah, not just adds, it adds character to the scene. It makes the location feel alive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh okay, so so real quick, we gotta oh yes, So this little kid right here who he gets the staff from. So he's credited as pig Boy and that little kid I forget the actor's name, but but he won a contest that Mattel had that some kind of sweepstakes where you can get a role in the he Man movie. So he got that role and then you know, Mattel shows up and they're like, hey, you gotta put this kid into the movie. And he's like, well, God, damn it. So they just gave him that part. He's credited that kid who is now an adult obvious that has talked about how his skin broke out, oh because of the chemical reaction to that pig boy mask that they wow. So I don't know if it was a great experience for him, but he made it in it's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think I would be minorly bummed that you don't see.
Speaker 3: My face, that's right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it actually feels like a really natural addition.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think they did a good job of working around fine here, like without it being that obvious.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Skelter is snatching the staff out of his hands.
Speaker 3: Now this I love this too. She says, men who crave power, look back over the mistakes of their lives, pile them together and call it destiny. Isn't that that talk about a universally applicable sentiment?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 4: It's funny that And then Langella's lines. We were talking about how he went in and came up with some really almost Shakespearean sounding sorts of things for Skelter to say, that's some of those things where you go back and watch movies made for kids and You're like, oh wow, they like really thought of some profound things to say in here that I just kind of exactly when I was a kid, you know, Yeah, good, Sorry.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'll come back. Well no, I was gonna say.
Speaker 4: I mean, there is that line that you already mentioned where Skeletor is you know, tell me about the loneliness of good? Is it equal to the loneliness of evil? And I love that's an amazing line. And I love that there's someone who's self aware enough to know that they're evil.
Speaker 3: I was going to bring this up. I'm like, I'm like, this guy is not He's not like Magneto or something, you know, yeah, like he knows. He's like, man, give me a cat, I will kick that some bitch. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's there's something kind of fun about that, and we see it.
Speaker 3: Here where Sorceress is like, you know, there's still a chance to pull back from this madness. He's like, no, I have to be scorned and hated.
Speaker 4: I'm like, my man, Yeah, it made me think of that line that's always made me laugh. Where sort of riffing on that in the Simpsons at Camp Krusty and there's that leader and he's sitting around the table and they raise a gentleman to evil, gentlemen to evil like that guy knows, like we are peddling evils.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious, s skeleter Man. He just wants to see he Man stripped down and whipped. Oh yeah, so I was talking. So for the longest time, there were no action figures of he Man and skelet from this movie because of rights issues, and it wasn't until like twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen that they finally came out with characters wearing these costumes. Wow, you know, I think they had to work through And they didn't even call it like Master's Universe, the Motion Picture Figures. They called it the WILLIAMS. Stout Collection. Oh interesting, like like, oh no, we're actually this is the from his concept drawings like to I guess to get around I guess, so yeah, huh. It was weird, yeah, interesting, because there were certain I don't know what kind of monkey ass deal Monk Mattel made where they did not have the rights to certain things like how do you not anticipate that you're gonna want to make toys of all this stuff?
Speaker 4: In a post star Wars World, how right, not think about this?
Speaker 3: You know, so they they didn't have the rights to like certain characters that were in the movie only, or that the way they appeared in the movie only really weird.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is sweet, It.
Speaker 3: Is until you realize that these are like high school seniors. So let's be honest. How long is this really gonna last? Right? Right?
Speaker 4: Still one of them leaves for college.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I'm saying. I love you well, do you though?
Speaker 4: That's still sweet? I loved my high school girlfriend in a way that only you know, seventeen year olds can. And then yeah, right, yeah, see Skeletor's like really into this. Oh, by the way, I was gonna mention seeing that fountain location again is reminding me of our what we were talking about. So where this movie is just proudly absorbing all its influences et Star Wars whatever, you know, I mean, famously Star Wars is a collection of influences for George Lucas too, So it's you know, that's what stuff is. It's things that are created based on the inspirations in the artist's head. You know, that's right.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I mean, we would not have gotten Star Wars if not for Flash Gordon. Yeah, exactly, And we would not have gotten Flash Gordon if not for Star Wars. Yeah, right, so I think this right here, seeing his eyes and how important that is, Like I was thinking about in terms of skeletor either in the action figures or the cartoon show. You know, you never see his eyes, right, and that's you know, so much of the performances in the eyes. Totally.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a smart That mask is really smartly designed, for sure.
Speaker 3: Absolutely so.
Speaker 4: I guess this is him addressing the galaxy, which is like five people at Mesquez Rocks.
Speaker 3: Again, that's it. We don't see the King, we don't see the Queen, we don't see anybody. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: That would be kind of nice to see like the the other leaders.
Speaker 3: Exactly right, because according to this movie, it's basically the Sorceress is the head of Gray Skull and that's it. Yeah, he said the thing he said, he said Master of the Universe. This is kind of a cool haunting effect having the Sorcerer age. Yeah, she's like Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis and yeah, totally exactly that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know I was reading I don't know if you can verify this stuff, because you know, I tried always back this stuff up, but sometimes I couldn't. But there were just a lot of ideas that they wanted to do, Like they wanted to show Snake Mountain. There was like a scene I guess with Ta mention it a few times, but they don't show it. Yeah, and Tila. There's a scene with Tila freeing prisoners that was scripted at the beginning, sort of setting up her as being a woman of action and he man and his cohorts were going to be booked at a police station. But just I guess with budgeting limitations, they couldn't shoot all this stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think.
Speaker 4: They did a good job of still making this feel complete without.
Speaker 3: All that stuff.
Speaker 4: I agree some movies can't pull that off, but I feel like this one does enough.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think some of that stuff would have been nice. Definitely Tila fleeing the prisoners, freeing the prisoners, that would have been good. There was also in the in an earlier draft of the script where you had, uh, I guess just like a button at the end that they find wreckage of like a NASA spacecraft. Yes, yes to show that like human humans were the humans in the future were the first settlers of Eternia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I like that. Yeah, I do like it, And I mean it's not not needed. It's a cool idea. It's like needlessly confusing, right, Like, yeah, that's true, that's true. You know, even though in the cartoon and in the comic books and stuff, you know, he Man's mother is from Earth, so she's a she's a human astronaut who crashed on Eternia and so that's you know, so she stays there.
Speaker 3: So he Man is half humans. So in the new film, you know, that's like a big part of the story that he's on Earth for for reasons beyond just oh I had I had a button on the cosmic key and here you are. You know, is that why he's called he Man?
Speaker 4: Like when she gave birth and I guess it was with you know, an alien she had, you know, he's like, she was like.
Speaker 3: Is he Man? You know, they've never like satisfactorily explained that, right, because obviously the term he man predates this toy line because it's like, if you're a big muscular guy, you're a he man, right, And that's like a silly name for a character. And you know, I know, I know that they've tried to do stuff like saying that that the sword, it's the it's the sword of he and like like come up with some kaka Mamy's funny, you know, And I'm I, I understand the the drive to do that, but I'm also like, you know, I don't think there's any fixing this. I think it is.
Speaker 4: It just is what it is, and somehow we can say it without you know, giggling, like, so you did it.
Speaker 3: Right, well, And I think it helps that that the phrase he man has passed out of the parlance for what it used to refer to, you know what, sure, yeah, yeah, yeah, exactly right. Yeah. So this this costume Skeletor is wearing currently now that he's now that he is a god, it tells me that my man just wants to go to Vegas. Really, so it's both impressive and extremely cheap looking at the same time.
Speaker 4: I remember, even as a kid, thinking he looks scary in it, something about it. Maybe it's because of the bottom half of his face being that skull and this really ornate I don't even know how to explain it, sort of It reminds me a little bit of the end of Raiders of the Lost Arc. Oh sure, sure, you know that sort of overly ornate like get up.
Speaker 3: See, I'm just like, you have the power of God, you can do anything, and you landed at like horror. Liberachi.
Speaker 4: You know when you're saying, I gotta be honest, like, it's always been kind of scary to me, and I don't exactly know how to put it into words. There's something really nightmarish about it to me, something about the gold, how beautiful it looks and horrifying with that face underneath the mask. But you saying that now, I completely see what you're saying, but I still dig it. There's something weird and like he has leveled up in sort of a scary way.
Speaker 3: I feel like they sell that because of this movie. If I get the power of a god, I'll at least consider making myself look like that.
Speaker 4: And he hasn't turned himself into like Super Shredd or anything, or make himself even bigger or you know, as big as the room or anything.
Speaker 3: And I just see he gets all the powers. He looks like that, and the first thing he does he points his fingers that he man goes Neil like, bro, come on, I know, I know, just go rule the universe.
Speaker 4: I do love that there's bat wings on it. I didn't notice that till this time.
Speaker 3: Yep, yep, I mean I get The production design for this Grayskull sequence is very impressive. William Stout talked about how he built in like multiple levels so that you could have a sword fight where the characters are jumping to different tiers and stuff.
Speaker 4: Super smart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and unfortunately they didn't get to do any any of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but even just having those different levels makes the place seem dynamic.
Speaker 3: Okay, this right here, look at this, so Evil Lens like, car, let's go, and he's like, what about scot Tour And he's like nope. And then I love this because this is the very very beginning of he man start. He didn't even have a sword back yet. Yeah right, and Evil Lens like, all right, well we've been through this ship before. This dumb ass about to get defeated again. Yeah, let's dip like he does not even have a sword back Evil and has already gone. She's like, whatever, we know this is gonna end. That's hilarious because she she's lived through the filmation series, she's seen him get his ass handed to him every week. That's every weekday afternoon on Fox. It was on Fox in our in our neighborhood.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a cool shot.
Speaker 3: By the way that I have the power look good. I think it's great. I think you the way they put the sword the light and now this here, I will say as a kid, I just took it at face value. Yes, that power was so much that they've just they've drained the power from the room and they're just this is how they're fighting.
Speaker 4: And what we're actually seeing is the moment this movie ran out of money.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and they were like shooting rilla style, just get whatever shots they could. So this is Anthony Delongist in the skeletor suit, Yeah, aka Blade And I think given the constraints they were operating and it is not a bad sword fight. No, well the fight is great.
Speaker 4: It's it's just funny where they Yeah, they turned all the lights off in the castle so they don't have to have any of the other actors and there's basically just two spotlights. Yeah, so we can see them fighting.
Speaker 3: It's like, what do you do?
Speaker 4: They make it stylish and you know, it works, it works.
Speaker 3: And then this part basically from here to when he tossed the skeletor over This was like three months later. Oh, just so they could get the ending of the fight.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this is like at the at the effects house, you know, just whatever they had available.
Speaker 4: Like a like a stage, like have a floor and a light.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Interesting, Okay, I read that originally he was a skilled that's a that's a good almost lose the sword over the edge and him gripping it. I agree, that's good.
Speaker 3: But he was supposed to this shot right here, probably the most poorly aged shot in the whole movie.
Speaker 4: Sure, but I mean it was the eighties. You got Diehard with that, you got RoboCop with that, you got this with that.
Speaker 3: But this is the most Egregiously he's not really falling anywhere.
Speaker 4: No, I mean, Diard looks incredible, but it is funny. You just have this overhead, you know, fixed camera watching the camp or the bad guy just fall down.
Speaker 3: I mean we saw Palpatine fall to his yeah death, just four years earlier, right right right, I mean this is very much that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sounded like a shaft or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's literally what my son, my twelve year old, said, just now, I was watching the end of it. He's like, oh, it's like Palpatine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like.
Speaker 3: And somehow they both return, so he does. Okay, so let's talk about Lubik's weird ass ending here.
Speaker 4: How much time has passed because our kid, the kids are still there.
Speaker 3: Well, he's like, hey, what do I have to go back to? Over here? I got a castle and I want the sorceress to be just like look over and be like, no you don't right now? Who is this woman? I wish she like yeah, right, like have her be somebody who's life he saves on Eternia or something.
Speaker 4: I mean, if they had more money, maybe there would have been a scene. It makes no sense though, you know, no, but but we like rolled with this stuff back then.
Speaker 3: We absolutely roll with it. But again, if it's one of those things where you show like all his life he's wanted to prove that aliens are.
Speaker 4: Real, and now he's now he married to one.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Get the Good Journey reminds me a little bit of face off. You know how they like sort of use their hands. Oh that face thing, it's like a face wipe basically the way.
Speaker 3: They see, all we need is Christina Pickles to go to Courtney Cox and be like, in another life you could have been my daughter, and we'd be like, wow, that's that's weirdly prescient.
Speaker 4: The creators of Friends who are like this stoned one night, you know, like.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wondered, did they did they? I mean, isn't it within the realm of possibility that you had a Masters of the Universe fan in that creative food chains And when it came time to casting Monica's mom, they're like, well what about her? Right, like, yeah, yeah, you're telling me it. It didn't come up.
Speaker 4: I'm sure someone was aware.
Speaker 3: Did these two actors just agree never to mention it again? You know?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's funny. By the way, I love like how undefined this key is. Yes, It's like when when we need their you know, for him to struggle with it, he's like, I can't figure out the sequence. But then later he's just like, oh, yeah, it's just this, you know, Like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and when do you want to go? Yeah, yeah, I can send you anywhere anytime. Okay, Okay, so let's talk about it. You know, you and I just before we got on we were happening to talk about time paradoxes and movies. Yeah, let's talk about the absolute shit show that's unleashed by this end here. Okay, first of all, I love that that Julie's wearing kind of like a Loura Angeles Wilder.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 4: I thought about that because I do remember people wearing these things. I do, like I like my mom or like neighbors or you know, like and I was like, that is such an odd, hilarious Yeah.
Speaker 3: Okay, So she's she's like, right before she goes through the port, she's like, wait, wait, good doors, and the idea is like, send me back to before my parents die. Yeah, willedore because he's just that goddamn good Yeah, he knew it. So now she's like, hey, I'm gonna take your keys so you don't diem. Hmm. Now I see a logic problem here, which is he probably has another set of keys.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah right.
Speaker 3: Uh that's part A, but part B. If you prevent their deaths, have you not undone everything that happened in the movie.
Speaker 4: If it's like a loop or like a yeah, like a if she's creating some sort of strand in time, yeah, that is screwing up the future, right, I guess it would be the future now from where she is in this moment.
Speaker 3: Like this is before, this is whatever it is like a month or so ago, right m hm. So now nothing, nothing that happened before happens. So then somebody else finds the key, right right right? Wait Zachi sequel.
Speaker 4: Wait, by the way, so this right here on the street, I was thinking it'd be so funny because she's basically like, got your keys, okay, you know, and then she runs out to her boyfriend like I did it.
Speaker 3: I saved my parents life.
Speaker 4: I did everything within the realm of possibility to stop them from beginning out, and is as they're in the street. I think it'd be funny out of focus in the background if you see her parents in a car backing out of a driveway, because to your point, like they have like a backup set of keys, and she thinks she did enough.
Speaker 3: That's hilarious. Well, so, so, as you mentioned there was going to be a sequel, Uh, they were going to recast Dolphin Gren. Presumably they would have recast Frank Langela because they had budgeted four million dollars for the sequel.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: So I once again, He Man would have come to Earth, and I think he would have just like been on Earth just working at a used car a lot or something. I don't, I don't, I don't know what you do with four million dollars.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wow, there's pig Boy Richard Spawnder. Hey, that's the credit there. So the sequel did not happen because because they were going to shoot it back to back with Spider Man. As you mentioned, it was gonna be Albert Pion who went on to do Captain America for for for Cannon, but the costumes and sets that they had designed were then used for a movie called Cyborg starring Jean Claud van Dam and that movie came out and it did okay because Cannon lost the rights to both He Man and Spider Man at the same time, so neither of those got made. Cyborg did okay, not well enough to save Canon and there it went no more Canon. Wow.
Speaker 4: And this movie, as we said, had a budget of twenty two million, and it only grows seventeen million worldwide.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So that's impressively bad, which I mean, doesn't it feel like it should have done at least twenty two million. I was gonna say, I'm a little surprised.
Speaker 4: I mean, even if there was he man fatigue, I don't know, it really feels like it was our time then, Like kids movies, you know, PG movies aimed at kids our age were like the you know, movie du jour back then. So, like I I'm a little surprised it didn't do better.
Speaker 3: I think that the mistake was making it through cannon, right, because they might have been able to get that twenty two million budget, but they didn't have any money to promote it. And you know, they didn't have any like because after a couple of weeks, the theaters just dropped this, right, And normally, if you're a studio, you're able to strong arm the chains into being like, look, if you want to play this thing a month from now, you're going to keep this in theaters. You know, they didn't have anything right, right, right, So I think all of that stuff factored in and it just led to this movie doing whatever it did, not much, but it became a beloved cult artifact. Certainly those who grew up with it have have fondness that they've nursed for forty years. Almost Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 4: I I love it for the nostalgia of it. Like I didn't see it when I was seven, but I did see it when I was pretty young, like I said on TV, so I kind of remember it. But there's that bit of it. But also just I don't know, growing up in this time and watching a lot of movies like this, just seeing a movie that looks like this is really daring to me and fun.
Speaker 3: I agree. I think the ways in which they adapted the original mythology for the big screen I appreciated. I appreciated some of the you know, they didn't give he Man his page boy prince Ville haircut, which I think I'll take the mullet that he has in this one. Yeah, that is, you know in the new one. You see that. It's like you can tell that's the conversation, like how do we keep the long hair and not have it look sort of you know, dorky dorky? Yeah, yeah, yeah, And I think they found different ways of accomplishing that. But I think, if nothing else, the fact that it took forty years for us to get another live action he Man tells you that, well, this thing, this movie had the field to itself for a very long time, so multiple generations have their own relationships with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah. By the way, I'm mystified that they got purple Haze by Jimmy Hendricks in this movie. Crazy right, that must have been so expensive.
Speaker 3: That's that's the other half the budget. Yeah, it's the Castle Gray Skull set and the Jimmy Hendricks royalties. Yeah. Oh, hey, is this the first post credits scene of our lifetimes? I didn't even know about this post credit scene until much later.
Speaker 4: I feel like I do remember seeing it on TV. Yeah, I think you saw it?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Then yeah, I definitely didn't stick around for it in the theater. Well yeah, yeah, I mean who knew to do that back then? Right? But here we go nineteen eighty sevens Masters the Universe. Yeah. A lot of fun, a lot of fun, fun to revisit, a lot of nostalgia there, and I'm certainly looking forward to contrasting this one that we just watched with the one that we're going to watch in the next couple of days. So hey, let us know your thoughts about this film. If you have any, you can email us at Movie Film Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com. Slash moviefilm podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps. If you're listening to this podcast on YouTube, please hit like and subscribe and leave a comment because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon page, Bryan.
Speaker 4: Yes, if you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done in every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free. We also have bonus conversations that we drop over there from time to time, about twice a month that are a lot of fun. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no random ads or interruptions, butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing this show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to Patreon dot com slash moviefilm podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 3: Would be very grateful. Here we go, and if you're looking for me online. You can find me on social media at Zaki's Corner. That's z aki s Corner. You can also read my reviews, including for the new Masters of the Universe film at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at IGN and the rap What About You Right.
Speaker 4: You can find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 3: There we go, And with that, this has been our movie film commentary track for Masters of the Universe. And I'm not gonna say goodbye. I'm gonna say good journey, Good Journey.
Speaker 4: Zachy