Speaker 1: Slutter's my name, Luke Slutter. Cattle's my business. It's a tough business, it's big business. I've got a big stake in it, and there's no man west of the Rio Grande big enough to take it from me.
Speaker 2: Luke Slutter of Tombstone. Luke Slutter of Tombstone. Civil War cavalryman turned Arizona cattleman. Across the territory from Yumah to Fort Defiance, from Flagstaff to the Wachukas, and below the border through Chihuahua and Sonora. His name was respected or feared, depending on which out of the law you were on. Man of vision, man of legend. Luke Slutter of Tombstone.
Speaker 1: You get used to gunfire and Tombstone. Usually you hear a single shot or at most two, and one gun slinger goes back to the bar and the other goes to boothill. But when you hear a whole fusilade of shots in the middle of the afternoon, you think of the ok Corral and head for cover.
Speaker 3: Why Mandy, you gunbat? It's just a look cow.
Speaker 1: Now, I just hope he keeps shooting in the air with's ther time, Ain't that young?
Speaker 3: Page web Shirt.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, it is.
Speaker 4: Hallo. What's done? You run?
Speaker 1: What are you up to? Page?
Speaker 3: I want you to be the first to shake my hands.
Speaker 1: What for Page trying out you'd billy the kid?
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm just shooting up the barrel because I'm happy. Luke, I'm gonna get me married Mary. Yeah, Seri. I just popped the question of Selena Cardell and she said.
Speaker 1: Yes, Ah, that's great, Page, that's just great.
Speaker 3: Man's gotta make that mistake sometime. I get yes, and I want you to be my best man.
Speaker 1: Luke, Well, now that's an honor. I wouldn't want to miss. When's the wedding?
Speaker 3: When? Well, my gosh, man, you can't settle everything the first minute. I just found out she'd have me. No, we're going to discuss the details.
Speaker 2: Is he all right?
Speaker 1: Get your spurs back on the ground.
Speaker 4: Excuse me, Jence hearted stranger just come in on the afternoon. Steve thought maybe you could tell me a good place to put up for the nine where sure you wait a minute, see Paige, ain't you Paige Webster?
Speaker 1: Why sure you are?
Speaker 3: Hello?
Speaker 4: Burley, Well now that's hard left. Friendly greeting to a cousin who ain't seen you in a dog'sy.
Speaker 3: Be all right with me if I never see you again.
Speaker 4: I don't know why you're holding a grudge against me. Well, ain't you gonna introduce me to your friend's page.
Speaker 3: Luke slaughter Witchita. This here's my cousin from Texas, Burley.
Speaker 1: Webster, cousin. Welcome to tombstone, mister Webster.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mister slaughter Page. Don't seem to be on the welcome and committee though?
Speaker 3: What are you doing here, Brillie?
Speaker 1: Whe's in our boy?
Speaker 4: I'm just going through on my way back to Texas from San Francisco.
Speaker 1: You in the cattle business, mister Webster?
Speaker 4: H No, No, I'm not.
Speaker 3: He's a gambler, Lucas, no good nor account gambler.
Speaker 4: What's that mouth of yours? Cousin? The way I figured it, mister Slaughter. A man makes a living the best way knows how I happen to make mine with my hands.
Speaker 1: I see, Well, you're looking for a place to stay overnight. I'd recommend the San Jose Has. It's good enough for me.
Speaker 4: Well, I'm sure he'll suit me if you'll kindly direct.
Speaker 1: Me help mister Webster with his bags, which your tongue.
Speaker 4: Why sure you come.
Speaker 3: With me, mister Webster. Right down the street here there goes a snake bigger than the Texas rattler.
Speaker 1: Luke, it's a strange thing to call a blood relative.
Speaker 3: Page, Oh, that don't make no difference. You don't know what he's done to me? What Well, I never told you this, Luke, I never told nobody. But my family died back in Texas when I was just a little schaeffer, and his folks took me in. Well, a few years ago there was a killing. Nobody ever proved who did it, but he threw suspicion on me, and after that, folks just didn't want me around. That's why I came out here.
Speaker 1: If you didn't do it, why did you run away? Page?
Speaker 3: Well, what would you do? He was top dog, slick with cards and smart with the gals. I was just the poor kid, cousin. You can't draw to an inside straight like.
Speaker 1: You've drawn some real right cards since you've been in Tombstone, Page, you got yourself a small outfit, and you've got the makings for a good cattleman. Now you're going to be married, you're supposed to be happy.
Speaker 3: Well, I am happy, Luke, Of course I am, but I sure wish she hadn't shown up right now.
Speaker 1: He'll be on the El Pazo stage tomorrow morning. I forget about it.
Speaker 3: All right, Luke, I will dog on. I'm going down the Crystal Palace and start celebrating.
Speaker 1: Don't overdo it?
Speaker 3: Page, Well, you know me, Luke, I never drink too much.
Speaker 1: You better not. You're going to be a married man before you know it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, imagine that, Luke, me a married man?
Speaker 1: Hardy loop Hi, what's your dome?
Speaker 3: They wrung the supper gong.
Speaker 1: Not yet enjoy the sunset?
Speaker 3: Seems like every night they ring it later and later.
Speaker 1: Now he seems like it.
Speaker 3: Maybe lots of things seem like what they ain't If.
Speaker 1: You ask me, well, I didn't. But what are you trying to tell me?
Speaker 4: Well, since you're asking me, I'm a little discombobulated by them too, Webster curtains.
Speaker 1: Why well, this afternoon.
Speaker 4: I kind of got the id they didn't get along none too well, they don't.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm discombobulated.
Speaker 1: What do you mean, Well, I come from the Crystal.
Speaker 4: Palace just now and them two was sticker and fleased.
Speaker 3: Page looked like he'd been using his roping arm to heist the glass.
Speaker 4: Too many times. He was drunken, and he warn't sober when the two of them was playing poker, Luke, just the two of them high stakes too.
Speaker 1: Seem like maybe I'd better take a walk down that way. Good evening, missus Cordell.
Speaker 5: Good evening. You know where I could find Paige?
Speaker 1: Mister Slaughter, Well, I haven't seen him since he told us the good news this afternoon, Miss Cordell. I'd like to congratulate you both of you.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 5: I wonder where he could be. We were going to discuss the wedding plans.
Speaker 1: This evening, yes, he he told me. Look, miss Cardell, why don't you let me find him for you?
Speaker 5: Well, I don't want to bum you.
Speaker 1: Just sit down here and enjoy the cool of the evening with Witchitar. I'll go look for him.
Speaker 5: That's very kind of you, mister.
Speaker 1: I'll be right back.
Speaker 3: I'll just tell you what I'm gonna do. Cousin Burley, your little old king, don't scare me none at all. I'm gonna call you and raise your fifty dollars age.
Speaker 1: What are you doing? Are you crazy?
Speaker 3: What? Well? Now, look here. I ain't my old friend, lukeslaughter.
Speaker 1: You've had enough page, both poker and liquor. How much have you lost?
Speaker 3: Ain't lost nothing? All'm already cash is there in the pot.
Speaker 1: Leave it, Let's get out of here, noop.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you how much is my little outfit worth?
Speaker 1: You know better than I do?
Speaker 3: Well, sure I do, But I just want my cousin from Texas to hear it.
Speaker 4: Little Page is powerful. Proud of that little outfit, as he calls it, Slauder.
Speaker 1: He should be. In two years. He's built it from nothing to around nineteen hundred dollars and stuck and equipment.
Speaker 3: There you hear that, burly. I may not be the biggest pee in the pot, but I'm.
Speaker 4: In it pretty small part seems to me. All right now, I call it your fifty and raise it three hundred. What does your little outfit say about.
Speaker 1: That page for the nine just.
Speaker 3: Three hundred? Well, now that requires a little study.
Speaker 1: Drop out page. Let him have it?
Speaker 3: No, not so far as Luke. You hold on. Now he's got two aces, a king and a douce showing, and I got me two kings and ace and eight spot. Now that makes the whole card. Tell a difference.
Speaker 4: No, yes, sure, come on, put up a shut up cousin. This ain't no kid game. We left that back in test.
Speaker 1: Turn your cards over, page.
Speaker 3: Now you heard what my little outfits work, Burly, Page, listen to me. I bet it. I'll bet it all.
Speaker 1: Two years of your life. You'll bet that and your future.
Speaker 3: I bet it, and you got a witness, Burly.
Speaker 4: I'll pay to see that whole card. Your call.
Speaker 3: That's daddy, that's just dandy. I got me the case king, and that makes three of them.
Speaker 4: Oh that's good, page, but not good enough. Three aces, paid.
Speaker 3: Three aces.
Speaker 4: But I was sure you come on page.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I guess I better.
Speaker 1: Luke.
Speaker 4: Oh uh, you can give me the bill of sale for your outfit in the morning. Page. That'll be soon enough. I'll trust you till later.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I'll have it for you at the hotel in the morning. Come on, look.
Speaker 1: Why did you do it? Page?
Speaker 3: Why he knitted me, He's always knitted me. He did it again, just like when we was kids, backed in Texas.
Speaker 1: Two years of your life.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, just so we need paperback four.
Speaker 1: No, you're not. Something's eating at your insides when you learn what it is. You'll be a man.
Speaker 3: Luke. What am I gonna tell Selena?
Speaker 1: You're gonna face up to what you're done and tell her the truth. Just waiting at the hotel for you.
Speaker 3: No, no, I I can't face her like this after I l I lost everything. You tell her, Luke, will please? Luke, tell her anything?
Speaker 1: Page Are you gonna keep running away all your life?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I guess so I think I'm gonna be sick.
Speaker 1: Luke here, get yourself a room and straighten out. I'll tell her something. We can talk to this at tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Luke, Thank you.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I bother Paige. I guess I must think you're worth it.
Speaker 2: In a moment, Luke Slaughter of Tombstone returns. Start your day well informed. Join us on most of these same stations every morning as Radio's World News Round Up calls in our newsmen stationed in news capitals like Washington, London, Rome, Bond, Paris or Tokyo for eyewitness reports and the big news stories of the day. Then on weekday evenings, here Edward Rmorrow with the news. His personal knowledge of people in places, his years of experience in reporting the news put the stamp of authority on every broadcast he makes. Here Edward Rmorrow with the News, Tomorrow Night and now Act two of William and Robson's production of Luke Slaughter of Tombstone.
Speaker 1: I was Miss.
Speaker 3: Cordell standing up to the bar minor moon business.
Speaker 1: Miss Cardele Slaughter. I found him.
Speaker 5: Well, where is he.
Speaker 1: Miss Cordell. When a man's getting married, he's sometimes well, in Page's case, he did he Well, what I mean to say is he Well, he's had too much to drink and he lost quite a bit at gambling.
Speaker 5: Isn't that just like a man?
Speaker 4: Well, most men?
Speaker 1: If you ask me, nobody did with I'm sure I'll explain it to you in the morning, Miss Cordell, I'm.
Speaker 5: Not so sure I want him to. He's going to go out and drink and gamble on the very days proposed to me. What will he be up to after he's married?
Speaker 4: Men, Slaughter, excuse me for interrupt him. But when there's a pretty gall around, I ain't going to make too many excuses.
Speaker 1: Well, you'll have to excuse us. Webster, web busy Webster.
Speaker 4: Well, now, miss I see you know the name. Could that be maybe because you're a friend of my young cousin, Paige Webster.
Speaker 5: Why yes, then.
Speaker 4: I'm right happy to make your acquaintance. Miss. I'm Burley Webster, Page's cousin from Texas.
Speaker 5: How do you do, mister Webster. I'm Selina Cardell.
Speaker 4: That's a right pretty name to go an even prettier gal. If you'll excuse me being so bold, miss Cordell.
Speaker 1: Maybe I ought to tell you right now, Webster, this Cordell is engaged to her cousin.
Speaker 4: I must say he picked himself to put his Philly in the corral.
Speaker 5: And I must say that sounds like Texas flattery to me.
Speaker 4: Ain't nothing of the kind. Only I show him. Sorry, I can't stay on here now that I've met up with you, missus Cardell. Thank you, but of course I could change my mind.
Speaker 1: You said you were leaving on the morning stage.
Speaker 4: Man can always change his mind, Slaughter. Now, miss Cordell, since we've been introduced proper like, you do me a great honor if you'd let me take you to the nicest dining room in town for some supper. You just pointed out, Well I I.
Speaker 5: Mister slaughter, will you be seeing Page again tonight?
Speaker 1: I don't expect to well.
Speaker 5: If you do see him, tell him I'm with his cousin getting the attention I should be getting from him.
Speaker 4: My arm, Miss Cardell, let me tell you about Paige when we was kissed back in text. See he sure he is a smooth talker, ain't he?
Speaker 3: Luke?
Speaker 4: Only that don't sound like cousin.
Speaker 3: Talk to me.
Speaker 1: He's got pages outfit now he's after his girl.
Speaker 3: What you can do about it? Or Luke?
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're doing. I don't know, and I'm sure gonna try. Web Sir, I want to talk to you, slaughter.
Speaker 4: I thought you'd be in bed by now.
Speaker 1: I've been waiting up for you. Where's miss Cordel?
Speaker 4: Don't see that's any your business, but she's safe home for the night. Meaning to Mars another day.
Speaker 1: You aren't going to be here tomorrow, Webster.
Speaker 4: What'd you say?
Speaker 1: You're leaving Tombstone right now?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Amma, yes you recognize this deck of cards?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: What about? This is the deck you used when you beat your cousin out of his outfit. It's a marked deck. Word you find in your room upstairs?
Speaker 4: What car you got going through my stuff?
Speaker 1: I never gone through Amend's belongings before without his permission, I made an exception in your case.
Speaker 4: Well, I've got a good notion.
Speaker 2: To what.
Speaker 1: Webster. I'm going to give you a choice. There's a saddled horse at the hitching bar out back with your bags strapped on. You get on it and head east out of Tombstone and don't look back, or you get set to draw.
Speaker 4: Sure you'd like that, wouldn't you, Slaughter? You'd be in the fastest gun in the territory.
Speaker 1: Will it be well?
Speaker 4: Now this is a one horse town anyway, No sense in getting ruffled up over it.
Speaker 1: Which will it be?
Speaker 4: H couldn't be that you want Selena for yourself?
Speaker 1: Could he get going? Sure?
Speaker 4: Slaughter? Sure? Anything you say?
Speaker 1: Who's that look? Sluttering? Luke? How you feeling boy? Better? I guess I don't know what are you figuring to do now?
Speaker 3: I don't know, Luke, I just don't know what to do.
Speaker 1: Seems to me there's nothing much left for you in Tombstone. You lost your outfit, and from the way she talked last night, you've lost your girl.
Speaker 3: It don't surprise me none.
Speaker 1: I'll be glad to take you to one hundred dollars to get started somewhere else.
Speaker 3: What Thanks, Luke, you're a real friend.
Speaker 1: Here. Let's see, it's nine o'clock. Now, suppose you come over to my hotel at ten. I'll have the money for you.
Speaker 3: And I'll pay you back someday, Luke, I don't know when, but I.
Speaker 1: Will sure you. Well, I'll see you in an hour.
Speaker 5: Wanting mister Slaughter, warning.
Speaker 1: Miss Cardell, I'm sorry to disturbed. All right, he's all right. Why do you care.
Speaker 5: I'm worried and worried about him.
Speaker 1: You weren't talking that way last night.
Speaker 5: I know, but that was last night, and I've often thought about it. I haven't slept a wink, mister Slaughter. I was wrong saying what I did. Page did me in the honor of asking me to be his wife, and I was proud to accept. Mister Slaughter, that's well, that's sacred. A man and a woman have got to forgive each other many things before their really husband and wife. I mean, well, I love him, mister Slaughter.
Speaker 1: What about his cousin?
Speaker 5: Oh him, he's nothing but a fast talking ladies man. Page is worth five of him.
Speaker 1: That's just what I wanted to hear, Miss Cardell. I'm gonna ask you to do something. What, mister Slaughter, I want you to be an actress.
Speaker 5: Mister Slaughter, it's.
Speaker 1: Just for a few minutes, for Page's.
Speaker 5: Sake, all right, I'll do anything for him.
Speaker 1: All right. Now, here's what I want you to do. Be down at the sand hills, as.
Speaker 4: You've thunk up some goods in your time.
Speaker 3: Rook. But I declare this hornswomble.
Speaker 1: Beat some ware, I hope so witch your tone?
Speaker 3: Oh here he comes, Well here I am ten o'clock on the dock.
Speaker 1: Great. I have some bad news for you, Page. I can't give you the money, but you should. I know, maybe I should say I've changed my mind, but you to When are you gonna stop whimpering like a scrubby calf? But you promise, Why don't you just start walking? Maybe you'll find some sheep hurders will help you out.
Speaker 3: But look, all I'm asking is to borrow the money you promised to lend me.
Speaker 1: I don't think you're good for it, Paige.
Speaker 3: Well, if that's the way you feel, I just get along with Hello. Oh hello, Selena.
Speaker 5: Where have you been since asked me to marry you? Let's see? When was that? Why declare it was only yesterday.
Speaker 3: I I had a little trouble, Selina.
Speaker 5: Oh what kind of trouble?
Speaker 3: Well, I lost.
Speaker 5: Some money gambling, I suppose.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, Selena.
Speaker 5: A man who'll go out and gamble on the very day he proposes mustn't want to be married.
Speaker 3: Very much, Oh Selena, that that's not so.
Speaker 5: Must be or you'd pay a little more attention to me, like like your cousin did Bertie. You know him, mister Slaughter introduced us. He's a very attractive man.
Speaker 3: He's a dirty, misbegotten SIDEWI page.
Speaker 5: What a thing to say about your.
Speaker 3: Own cousin, Oh, Selena, you don't like him.
Speaker 5: He took me to supper last night. After all, you weren't around.
Speaker 1: Selena, it appears like you're an extra spoke in the wheel page. Why don't you slope like you've been planning to.
Speaker 3: I'll go when I get good and ready.
Speaker 1: No, you'll go now.
Speaker 3: You get your hands on me, Luke, you want me to.
Speaker 1: Throw you out, you just try it. I'll be glad to you.
Speaker 3: May be able to do it. Look, but you're gonna know you've been in a fright. I ain't running anymore. Luke, and you ain't gonna beat me. How you get up?
Speaker 1: Luke?
Speaker 3: That felt good and I'm gonna do it again. Come on, get up.
Speaker 1: No, No, I've had enough. Page, I quit.
Speaker 3: That's fine, That's just fine. Now I'm gonna find me that no good medium mouthed cousin and do the same thing.
Speaker 1: Page.
Speaker 5: Wait a minute, he's gone, Page, he left town last night.
Speaker 3: Gone. Yeah, you mean he isn't taken over my outfit? Say what is this?
Speaker 1: Well, if you'll stop being a man long enough to let Selina get a word in, I think she can tell you.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Luke, thank you. Come on, Page, We've already lost a whole.
Speaker 3: Day of plan by doogisit wors the hornswogle.
Speaker 1: Worch switchita did? It's the first time I've ever let a man whip me. But it was worth it, Luke.
Speaker 2: Slaughter of Tombstone, starring Sam Buffington, was written by Alan Butzer, with editorial supervision by Tom Henley and directed by William N.
Speaker 1: Robeson.
Speaker 2: Supporting mister Buffington were Sidney Scott, Junius, Matthews, Chet Stratton and Joseph Kerns. Music composed by Wilbur Hatch and conducted by Amerigo Marino. Next week, at this time we return with Slaughter's.
Speaker 1: The name Luke Slutter. We meet up again. You can call me that, Lukeslutter.
Speaker 2: I'll stay tuned for Frontier Gentlemen, which follows immediately over most of these same stations.
Speaker 1: This is the CBS Radio network.