Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. The former CEO of Abercrombie and Fitch and two associates are expected to be a rain this afternoon on Long Island on those federal sex trafficking charges. Prosecutors accuse Michael Jeffries and two others of using their money, power influence to prey on young boys for their own sexual gratification. They held sex events, according to the prosecutors all over the world. Jeffries and at least one associate will be in federal court this afternoon. A third is being transported from Florida to New York.
Speaker 2: The campaign stops in Texas today. Former President Trump is in Austin. He's going to be talking the border. He's going to be talking with Joe Rogan, Kamala Harris, the Vice president is in Houston. She'll be talking about abortion apparently and taking the stage with Beyonce and Willie Nelson. The latest and apparently final New York Times Siena College pool for this election shows that they're in a dead heat.
Speaker 3: Forty eight forty eight.
Speaker 1: That's the best funded poll. I believe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it gets good.
Speaker 2: It gets good reviews, shall we say from pole watchers. The results are now, obviously less than two weeks before the election. In recent elections, Democrats have had an edge in the popular vote even when they have lost the Electoral College and the White House.
Speaker 3: Therefore, so you could argue that a.
Speaker 2: Forty eight to forty eight tie in the popular vote would be an advantage for Trump going into November fifth.
Speaker 1: We are spread pretty thin here in Los Angeles today. We have what they call a heightened security atmosphere as we are host of several high profile sporting events. Really started last night with Thursday Night football, and hey, you're a Rams fan. The Rams are back right at those receivers back Matt Stafford looks lights out, able to knock off the Vikings and just pick apart that defense.
Speaker 3: Justin. Jefferson was very angry last night.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I understand why so large crowds expected for the lakers second home game of the season at Crypto dot Com Arena. Usc football takes on Rutgers at the Coliseum. You've got the East LA Big High school football game with Garfield and Roosevelt halftime concert by Black Eyed Peas by the way.
Speaker 3: At so Far Yeah, at the high school football game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then of course the biggest one game one of the World Series at Dodger Stadium. Mayor Karen bassaid that she activated the city's emergency Response center to ensure a coordinated effort.
Speaker 2: I did like watching some of that news conference that she did yesterday from City Hall, just because she was talking about how she's got it, she knows this is coming, She's got to do this sort of a thing. But she said, right after they won the championship Series over the Mets, she immediately called for this to be set up, knowing that this was going to be a big day in LA just because of the everything else that was going on.
Speaker 3: So they say, if you're headed to the World Series.
Speaker 2: Pack your patients and dress warmly, but also bring a sweater. Metro's Dodger Stadium Express ferries fans up to the ballpark from Union Station and from the Harbor Gateway transit Center. They said you can get past all of the car traffic on sud Set thanks to their own dedicated laye there. The service also runs after the game.
Speaker 1: That sounds nice. There's some live traffic noise.
Speaker 3: Sounds like traffic.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's gonna be a lot of honking. Speaking of honks, So did you see the picture. I don't know if this is just the digital LA Times story on this event, this mass security event or security test pre Olympic security test, but the picture that they chose to print, at least on the print edition of the story is from Dodger Stadium in twenty twenty I'm assuming or twenty twenty one. Everyone's wearing masks and it's a Giants game. Yeah, and it's this odd picture of the ground of just like an officer standing outside of one of the gates of Dodger Stadium and everyone's in masks and it's Giants fans. Why would you ever choose this picture to go along with this story?
Speaker 2: Do you think the people who are writing the stories at the LA Times are big Dodgers fans outside of the guys from.
Speaker 3: The sports past.
Speaker 1: I don't think you have to be a big Dodger fan. I think you just have to have something bigger than a brain stem to not choose this picture.
Speaker 2: I will say this, I know a lot of people who are not sports fans. I mean, couldn't tell you the first thing about sports, and that it's the kind of picture that they would choose.
Speaker 1: Okay. Also, half of this article is about the altercations at Dodgers games. Brian Stowe is mentioned, Okay, several fights. Half the story three pages is about the security at Dodger Stadium. If I'm paying fifteen hundred dollars for my World Series ticket, I'm not gonna get wasted off twenty five dollars beers and get into a fight. That's not what this crowd is. When they say pre Olympic security tests, they mean security like for a UTA bomber or what have you, not a drunken guy from East LA who's gonna pick a fight with a Yankees fight. It could be Sonart, it could be any of these.
Speaker 3: What if it's Manhattan Beach, That's.
Speaker 1: Not what it is. Actually, that probably is what it is.
Speaker 4: Hey, Gary Channon, love you guys.
Speaker 5: You guys are awesome.
Speaker 6: Go Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Got to start off with that.
Speaker 4: But this is SoSE from Lakewood.
Speaker 2: I just want to say that I'm on the one ten freeway at the transition of the ninety one, heading towards downtown.
Speaker 3: LA, and it's already bumper to bumper.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm probably doing two.
Speaker 6: Miles an hour two Most of the time my foot's on the break.
Speaker 3: I hope everybody gets to their destination safely.
Speaker 6: Go Dodgers and let me guys.
Speaker 1: Thank you, go blue out today. Let us know about your traffic situation today, and are you brave enough to drive a stick in traffic? I miss a manual transmission too. I have read an article I think it was in The Atlantic this week, and I almost put it in the show at some point, but then I realized that this is my own personal bugaboo. It's called or. The headline was the death of parallel parking, and like I always thought that was like one of the major things you need to know how to parallel park. And it's growing up in the city and stuff like that, driving a stick on hills and stuff like that. Parallel parking. These are things that are going away.
Speaker 3: It's why we're softening.
Speaker 1: That's why we're softening. It's the automatic transmission. Real Americans know how to parallel park right stiction and roll down their window okay with the crank easy.
Speaker 2: Presidential elections get plenty of people upset. This may be one of the most nerve wracking elections we've seen in a very long time. More than sixty percent of Americans in a new poll say that their mental health has been slightly, moderately or significantly impacted by the upcoming election. Forty six percent say they have anxiety, thirty seven percent say they're stressed out, thirty one percent say they experience fear, and they think about the upcoming election.
Speaker 1: I feel all of those things when it comes to the fact that Tua is going to start for Miami this Weekend's.
Speaker 3: That will generate tensiinge.
Speaker 1: And tension, and is what I feel. Two has been cleared to play against the Cardinals on Sunday, first start since being concussed in Week two, that terrifying concussion that we saw. They say he has met with numerous medical experts who deemed it safe for him to play football again. I say he was examined yesterday by an independent neurological consultant.
Speaker 3: Doctor Nick Riviera from The Simpsons.
Speaker 1: It was probably one of those It's like an expert witnesses at a trial. You know, you pay him enough, they'll tell you whatever you want to hear. There is a an awful story out of Washington State you may remember we talked about it earlier. A fifteen year old boy charged with the murder of his parents and three of his siblings this week in the area called Falls City. It's east of Seattle as you head towards say snow Qualmy Pass. It's outpasted Issaquah, very nice, mostly rural setting, and they live on this place called Lake Alice with you know, multi million dollar homes.
Speaker 2: Their house was beautiful. I think dad was an engineer, Mom was a nurse. Prosecutor said that this fifteen year old kid called nine one one at about five in the morning and said that his younger thirteen year old brother had killed the family and himself because the thirteen year old was caught looking at pornography.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: There were other little kids like seven, I believe, and nine. But an eleven year.
Speaker 2: Old sister was shot twice, survived, was able to escape the house, and at about the same time that the fifteen year old called nine one one to lie about what happened, the eleven year old had made it to a neighbor's house, and the neighbor was able to call nine one one and explain what happened.
Speaker 1: What a horrific story. It's all the way around.
Speaker 2: For some reason, the fifteen year old also had to be told by the judge that they he could not have contact with his little sister, which I don't know if that was just a common thing, but that became one of the headlines that came out of that story that the judge told him specifically not to contact his sisters.
Speaker 1: They say that with all of those.
Speaker 3: That would make sense, And what kind of contact would he have. I mean, he's gonna be.
Speaker 1: In and he's a psychopath. Yeah, I mean to be fifteen and come up with that story and slaughter your family like that.
Speaker 2: The eleven year old said they had always had weapons in the home and they were very careful with them, that they all knew how to shoot, but that the fifteen year old was the only one of the kids who had the combination to the gun safe to get access to them.
Speaker 1: Well, that is wild, is an awful story. Well, we saw this hail Mary being launched for quite some time. George Gascone said it himself, the habeas petition did not need to be dealt with until late November, but you know what happens before late November.
Speaker 3: November fifth comes to November.
Speaker 1: Fifth comes in early November, and he wanted to milk the publicity cycle of this thing leading up to the election, and so he decided to play politics with two spoiled, entitled kids who killed their parents in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 4: I believe that they have paid their debt to society, and the system provides a vehicle for their case to be reviewed.
Speaker 3: By a parole bar and the parole.
Speaker 4: Concurs with my assessment, and it will be their decision. They will be released accordingly.
Speaker 1: Of course, nobody, somebody who has never tried a case does not understand the importance of evidence.
Speaker 2: Well, there's that to your point about this being clearly a re election tool, because he's being outraised by Nathan Hockman somewhere like ten to one in terms of the money falling into their campaign coffers. He was asked by a reporter yesterday at this news conference about re election and Gascon loses his mind in the middle of this question.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that the manslaughter would have been the appropriate charge. Give him the premeditation that was involved in the murders. I believe that this were clearly murders that were premeditated now the motivation, that's where you know, the differences of opinion come up. But I don't think it will be appropriate to all the way down to man'slaughter, for every election. Would you please stop. I am not going to talk about reelection. Okay, I will talk later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's nothing to do with it.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry you're interrupted, sir.
Speaker 1: So my god, not protest too much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a staff member behind him, one of the DA's office workers that was there, and tells the reporter, I wish I knew who it was. Something like that's in the inappropriate question. That is entirely appropriate.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 1: The timing of this is.
Speaker 2: So us it's it's pretty ridiculous. The last piece is sound from Gascoon.
Speaker 4: I have to tell you that, after a very careful review of all the arguments that were made for people on both sides of this equation, I came to a place where I believe that under the law, resentencing is appropriate, and I am going to recommend that to a court tomorrow.
Speaker 1: There's all of these conspiracy theorists that are getting so much attention now because of the way the podcast game works. Let's pick a case dissected and come up with a different alternative ending and then sell you on that how to do with the evidence, forget about all the evidence. I want to pedal my conspiracy theory.
Speaker 2: And some of them are very entertaining. Sure I leave it at that, but it is entertainment. The idea then that you And again not to say that some of these podcasts aren't well researched, but you as a podcaster, doing better research than.
Speaker 1: Investigators, detectives, prosecutors, jurors that came to their own conclusions.
Speaker 2: But there are cases listen and you bring that up, and I think of your own backyard podcast, the one about the Kristen Smart murder in.
Speaker 1: Sam Paul Flora is when it happens.
Speaker 2: Which is weird, and I don't know why. I mean, it doesn't You're right, it doesn't change. Most of the detectives and investigators that were involved in that case had their belief that it was Paul Flora's all along and that his dad probably helped him. But they couldn't put those pieces together. And not that the podcast put those pieces together. It just kind of filled in some of the low spots.
Speaker 1: For Sometimes more attention to cold cases is a good thing if you stick to the evidence, right. There's so many of these that do not stick to the evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and this is one of those cases. Now, Kitty Menendez was not.
Speaker 1: The most likely thing. Oukham's razor right, it's the most likely thing. There was mountains of evidence that these kids were spoiled brats and that the gravy train was was done. The parents were going to cut them off and they wouldn't be able to live their lavish lifestyle. They didn't want to go to work. They were flunkies at school and at jobs, and they had no path towards living the lifestyle that they were living and that they wanted, and they were frustrated, and they it was more than premeditated. It was months. This molestation story is so far fetched and so not the likeliest thing that happened. The fact that a father would molest his own sons for decades is insanity.
Speaker 2: The person I think that's got the most attention is Kitty Menendez's brother. He has not been speaking to the media, but his attorney has. Her name is Kathy Katie, and she said, among other things, this is exactly what George Gascon does and what his pattern has been, which is ignoring the victims of crime.
Speaker 8: Despite repeated requests to mister Gascon that he meet with my client so that he could hear both sides of the argument, he has never done so. He has never responded to mister Anderson. He has not listened to mister Anderson. He has been ignoring mister Anderson, and that, unfortunately, is what he does whenever he doesn't like people who have opinions who go against him.
Speaker 1: And to our point at last hour, you have to have the conversation, even if you don't believe in what the other person's saying, be open to the conversation.
Speaker 3: She was on Fox this morning.
Speaker 8: I think that the polls right now show him being down thirty points, so it's pretty clear that he will lose. But it's also clear he hasn't gotten any money. He hasn't been able to raise any money, so holding press conferences are essentially free media for him to get his face in front of the viewers. And I think that it was a last minute grab on his part to try to get his face in front of the viewers, remind people of who he is, try to show that he's whatever a sympathetic guy. I can't begin to get into his mind.
Speaker 3: It's uh, Kathy, I want to play it.
Speaker 1: Kathleen Katie is a retired LA DA. She is somebody who works pro bono for victims. She's the one who will go to these parole hearings when Gascon came in and told his attorneys they were no longer able to go to parole hearings to fight to keep people in prison, no longer able to go to those hearings and say, these are the facts of the case. This woman next to me, her son was murdered, and this is what happened, and that's why we need to keep this murderer behind bars. Now, it's that very mother who has to go into these parole hearings and make the case for keeping her son's murderer in prison. Kathleen Katie is one of those people who has gone to these parole hearings to avoid that from happening. Because Gascone doesn't care about crime victims or their families.
Speaker 2: I remember, the key piece of evidence that Gascone is referring to when he talks about he wants to have these guys resentenced is this letter that one of the brothers allegedly wrote to a cousin describing abuse, described ongoing abuse, etc. The letter never appeared. The letter appeared during the first trials. The letter appeared in twenty fifteen. Right where did the letter come from? Well, and that's what she said earlier today.
Speaker 8: I have received a number of emails and information that would seem to indicate that the evidence that the Menendez brothers are trying to put forward now may not be true.
Speaker 3: That's all she says.
Speaker 2: I mean, but there's clearly something to be said about her having represented Kitty Menendez's brother and that of the family that believes these guys are guilty of sin.
Speaker 1: And also go back in history, do your own research. It's worth a google to find out the craze that was going on in the late eighties about kids being molested and abused. It was very in It was a very in craze and concern that was going on. The McMartin trial was one of the examples of this. And it's just all way too convenient that they were looking for a way to get away with murder and this is what they landed on.
Speaker 2: Earlier, we talked about this statement from jd.
Speaker 3: Vance.
Speaker 2: He was at a News Nation town hall last night with Chris Cuomo and was asked about what he believed was the biggest threat to democracy. He went on to say censorship, but added this line, which I thought was important for all of us.
Speaker 9: Don't cast aside family members in lifelong friendships. Politics is not worth it. And I think we follow that principle hill of the divide in this country.
Speaker 2: I was curious if this has happened to people. I mean, yeah, and if you don't have to tell me what side you're on or who your vote doesn't matter, but you just if there's a disagreement about politics that has upended relationships that you have, or just.
Speaker 1: Kept you from maybe reaching out and talking to a friend or a family member, especially this time of year as we get closer to the.
Speaker 2: Election, because you know politics is going to come up. You don't want to have that conversation. Exactly less than two weeks before election day, we are seeing the campaigns go through Texas.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: Vice President Harris is in Houston, former President Trump is in Austin. NBC News shows they're tracking shows almost thirty three million people have already voted in this election, either through mail in ballots or early in person voting. This story actually came out. There are two things that prompted me to think about this today. Number one was this study that came out that said over sixty percent of a man can say that this election has damaged their mental health to some degree. Forty six percent say they have feelings of anxiety, thirty seven percent say they're stressed out, thirty one percent experiencing fear. And this statement from jd Vance from yesterday in the town hall meeting that he was doing on News Nation, and we can't This is my most important advice.
Speaker 9: Whether you vote for me, whether you vote for Donald Trump, whether you vote for Kamala Harris, don't cast aside family members in lifelong friendships. Politics is not worth it. And I think we follow that principle will hill of the divide in this country.
Speaker 3: And we've we've heard it before.
Speaker 2: We've heard from other politicians, other people, from family members, from pastors, from friends, whatever. Do not let this be the thing that destroys a relationship with a family member or friend.
Speaker 5: Morre Gary and Shannon, I just felt like I wanted to say thank you for bringing this topic up because I am an independent conservative and my parents are blue card carrying Democrats and it has been really rough because a lot of what I am fighting for I believe for my kids, and I am clashing so much with them. So I appreciate the thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yep, it's not easy, but doesn't mean that you can't talk about politics. Just don't you remember where politics is supposed to fit in your world, right and your family's supposed to be more important than that.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I mean, and it does come up, like my mom is a very strong Democrat, always husband, and if I say anything that is not favorable, well, it's a sense of like because I am also like that him. I am more of a moderate independent conservative if I had to pick. But it's it gets frustrating when the like if Kama for instance, the instance I'm thinking of is Kamala did one of her word salad moments and it was on the news or what have you, and it was like, you know, I want to hear what she has to say, and I said something like, she's just gonna speak in a word salad. Oh, Shannon, you don't know it. You don't know that. I'm like, no, I do, because I'm watching and you know, and it's just like those little ten moments and it's like, so I just don't. I just don't say anything anymore.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 1: It doesn't mean that I'm going to talk to my mother less. It's just I'm not going to bring anything up. I'm not going to even say the words Kamala Harris. I'm not going to say anything. I see the landmines.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Gary, really, really you don't think this has occurred?
Speaker 3: No, I think it does.
Speaker 6: Look at today the world everyone's divided. You don't think this has occurred at home? I do you if you can come up with some better material, work out something.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's the milk.
Speaker 2: I haven't talked to my own parents in weeks, maybe months, because of the political rhetoric that goes on every.
Speaker 3: Time in our house. Interesting they cannot stop.
Speaker 2: I've asked them to talk about other things, family things, memories.
Speaker 3: No always political, and I get that too.
Speaker 2: Even if there are family members or friends that I agree with politically, I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to talk about it. I'm the same way. I mean, And I wonder if it's because we have to talk about it here. I mean, I guess we don't have to, but it is something that's going on, and I wonder if I've just I'm talked out of it by the time I go home or I live my real life.
Speaker 7: Hi, Garyan Shannon, I'm not going to be able to go back to Iowa for my sister's eighty fifth birthday due to our differences in the election. I am going to go after the election. I thought I would be able to to go, but I just realized it would cause way too much stress for the both of us.
Speaker 2: Well, I guess that's I guess that's good that you recognize it.
Speaker 3: It's just sad that that's the way it's got to be. The relationship with my sudden law.
Speaker 1: That hasn't changed. But about five years ago, during the last.
Speaker 3: Presidential election, we declined a.
Speaker 1: Our fiftieth anniversary free trip to Hawaii for a week because we didn't want to spend a week with our sudden law. This makes me so sad.
Speaker 3: With three days about as much as we can take.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's anybody though, right, Like that's par six aside.
Speaker 2: There is a time limit, right, there is a timeline. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm. Every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.