Speaker 1: Something you should go something you should know, was brought to you by Genesis gooldira dot com. That's also something you should know. You can put your retirement plan. I'm the gold Standard. Learn more and get a free gold and Silver guide at Genesis gooldr dot com. Excited to have a guest joining me over the telephone right now, doctor Bob Sentella, and we're going to talk about Midwest Street Medicine and a fundraising event that's coming up. But first, doctor Bob, thank you for your time, and let's talk about how you got involved at Midwest Street Medicine.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm a retired physician and I heard a news story. I've always been interested in the social determinants of health. I was an afrologist at Kidney Doctor. I retired almost four years ago, and I've always been interested in the social determinants of health. And after I retired, I actually started teaching a little bit. I've always been at the medical school. I was originally hired by the medical school. There used to be a practice plan and that dissolved, and then I worked for Era. I've always been interested. I've always taught medical students to some degree, usually straight medicine but after I retired, I had an interest in the social determinis of health. So I have been teaching periodically the medical students about the social determinants of health. That is what determines how long we live in our quality of life in terms of not just the pure biology and treatment with medicines, but you know housing and mental health, and you know ability to afford medicines and care and insurance and everything else. And then I heard a news article about Midwest Street Medicine, and so I contacted the co founder, doctor Shannon Emery, and said, Hey, can you use a physicians She said, well, yeah, I'm the only one. So that led to me being a part of Midwest Street Medicine.
Speaker 1: I love that. I love that you have a kind heart and you stepped up to help. For folks that are not familiar with Midwest Street Medicine, let's kind of clue them in on what you guys do. I'm familiar with it. I think it's an amazing organization. It's a wonderful nonprofit. But let's talk about what you guys do at Midwest Street Medicine.
Speaker 2: So we're a group of volunteer healthcare workers and peer support specialists who deliver evidence based trauma and form care to people suffering from homelessness. So we are doctors, nurses, pas, nursepectitioners, pharmacists, community health workers, counselors, and peer support specialists. Those are people who have a lived experience, who've been homeless themselves or had problems of substance use, and they're part of the team. They help break the ice and gain trust, and we go to the people on the street and we provide care. We go to shelters, go to the street, go to the river, go to under railroad bridges, wherever the people are, and we treat everything infection, wounds for us, bite, hilo, pressure, addiction care, mental health, and we help coordinate with other services like housing and legal and we get medications for patients and nice. They're the most vulnerable in our community and we try to treat them. So I just wanted to get that out there because some people have no idea what we do.
Speaker 1: Absolutely no. I love that. And what would you say, is the most common thing that you treat or does that change based on the time of year?
Speaker 2: The medical the pure medical changes that time of year. I mean, we treat frostbite in winter and heat related illness in the summer. But we're always treating infection. But I would say that mental health care subsist use disorder, those are probably there all the time, and then we treat a lot of infections, a lot of wounds very nice.
Speaker 1: And again this is something that the average person probably can't help, like on the Street team, but they can help by showing up at the fundraising event. It's a jazz concert Friday, October third, seven pm at Remedy Brewing Downtown, and it looks like it's going to be a really fun event. I've heard of a few of the folks that are going to be performing, and it sounds like it's going to be a really nice thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, First of all, they're very talented musicians, Dan Hired, Jim Spears, John Kelly, Ruben Rodriguez. I mean, you would pay money to go see him at Trio, but this is free. We're just if you like what we do and you like them, then we're asking for a free will offering and we have we have a raffle for their concert at the Fellowship Jazz Concert at the Pavilion, but it is free and most of our Midwest Street Medicine team will be there. You could talk to us. But we are medical care is expensive. Everybody knows that. Well, we provide it for free. So you know, we need to raise money and this is a wonderful way to do it. Do it jazz. It's going to be a one. I mean, they're just talents and talented physicians. Hey, I've been I've been to the Blueoe in New York. I've been to Kingston Mines in Chicago, and these guys could play their hands down, no questions. So so it should be a lot of fun and jazz music. The music is just I consider a transcendent joy. I mean, I just think it really stress. I mean with all the problems and the stresses in the world, you know, for a couple hours, people can just relax and enjoy themselves.
Speaker 1: Absolutely again. The event is coming up on Friday, October third, seven pm at Remedy Brewing Downtown at eighth and Railroad Center. It is a fundraiser for Midwest Street Medicine. Thank you again for taking the time to help with what you do at Midwest Street Medicine and thanks for your time to chat with us today.
Speaker 2: Oh you're welcome if you would.
Speaker 1: Like to learn more. I've got a link to all of this information on our Facebook page, Facebook dot com slash Sunny Radio and Facebook dot com slash suit Falls News. Something you Should Know. Something you Should Know is brought to you by Genesisgoldra dot com. Put your retirement plan on the gold standard. Get a free gold and Silver guide now at Genesisgoldra dot comm.