Speaker 1: People are talking about. I totally agree with you about the state's rights issue for regarding abortion fifty five KRS the talk station seven six.
Speaker 2: I think about KRECD talk station Bill like a Friday, since we're talking Bourbon here with Keith Deathars when the cure starts, now, wonderful organization, they're going to find a home run care or they're going to cure cancer. And of course Keith and his wife struggled and sadly lost their daughter of geoblastom if I recall the exact cancer, an extraordinarily aggressive form of pediatric brain cancer. And so rather than let that ruin their lives forever, they thought, we're going to do something and turn this terrible situation into a benefit for humanity.
Speaker 1: And so for the last how many seventeen years? Seventeen years? Yeah, long time.
Speaker 2: And you know what, I am just blessed to be at least in some small measure of part of this because I kind of help out in a little bit with some facilitation at the Gala, which takes place every year April, right, isn't it easily?
Speaker 1: It moves around this year. I think it's going to be in April.
Speaker 2: Yes, Okay, so we'll prepare ourselves for that one because my listeners are going to want to go. It is an extraordinary event. And this past Cure starts now. Gala you took in right at seven hundred thousand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean we have some really really big fundraisers.
Speaker 1: This is where we're based.
Speaker 3: You know, we started in Cincinnati, where you know, the largest pediatric cancer charity in the area, and we've grown now to forty nine locations, but you know, here's our home, and so we we have a whole bunch of fundraisers from the Gala to you know, giving first to we're part of the Hyde Park Blast, you know, graters and cones for the.
Speaker 1: Cure, and you get to that one, and.
Speaker 3: Then the Bourbon Baron Raffles just another chapter of something that's a lot of fun to participate in.
Speaker 2: It is went to this last year and hit a hell of a great time. Bourbon Baron Bash, which takes place is next weekend, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is next weekend on Saturday, and it's down at the Megacorp Pavilion and this is down in Newport, and so it is an opportunity to come out for a very nice evening and you get to hear some great musical acts from Kelly Willis, who was the Top Female Vocalist nominee, Town Mountain, the IMBA Emerging Artist of the Year nominee. And then just the bourbon as well. We have seven distillers. We try to focus on local ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I know it's really neat though. I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they come down and they allow you to sip some bourbon and honestly, you just sit there and watch the river and listen to great music and just relax and have fun and that if it's cancer research.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's bluegrass music, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's more bluegrass country.
Speaker 2: I say that is a positive thing. And if you are a music fan, generally you understand great musicians. You understand what it takes to be a great musician. I am so impressed with bluegrass bands because it's almost as if they have a mental telepathy. All of their brains are on the same page. It's like a great you know, hippie jam band like Fish or something. You know that you just wonder how it is they know where to go into what direction. But the handoffs and the going back and forth and the improvisation, and they always end.
Speaker 1: Up with this. It's just I don't know if there's something special.
Speaker 3: When you were there last year and you saw it, I mean, my goodness, couldn't ask for a better night. I mean we had fireworks and everything across the river and you know, just absolutely gorgeous. But yeah, you got a Gusta Boone, County Castle and Key mcbraer, New Riff, Pogue and Pensive are all going to be there to allow you to sip a taste of the kind of their premier favorites. So it's just wonderful night and it's not expensive ticket. It's a sixty dollars ticket. I mean, my goodness, you're going to spend more on that, and typically just the concert for these two folks.
Speaker 2: Well true, knowing how much bourbon is and knowing how much they charge for drinks at bars and restaurants, you get four tastings with the sixty dollars ticket. The emission is included in the ticket. Four tastings, two can slash bottle drinks, and one exclusive door price raffle ticket for a chance to win a bottle of bourbon from one of the distilleries that's going to be there though, So seven winners total. You do have to be present to win that, but you're not going to want to leave because the MEWS is going to be so great. So drink bourbon, support cancer research and have a great time at the same time. And now one of the cornerstones of the cure starts now gala you do it every year, is you sell a lot of raffle tickets for the bourbons.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And we have another bourbon raffle that's coming up with this as well. I mean, Party Sources is obviously our presenting sponsor for the Bourbon Barren Bash, but they also said, you know what, let's do something even bigger. Let's go ahead and also have a raffle too. So if people go to the Bourbonbarrenbash dot org.
Speaker 1: Which is on my blog page fifty five Casey dot com.
Speaker 3: They can actually go there and not only buy tickets to the bash, but they can also participate in a separate raffle for an entire Weller family bottle set. And these are some of the most sought after bourbons out there. You're talking about a set of six bottles that's worth probably about over five thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: What people are willing to pay for bourbons. I mean, I like bourbon, but Lord almighty, you know the shelf price is, you know, say, it's three hundred dollars to the bottle if it's on the shelf, if you can find it. And whenever these things show up on a shelf, they get lines around the entire block for people coming and buying it. And then you walk out the store and that three hundred and fifty bucks you just spent immediately turns into like fifteen hundred bucks because that's what the street value is.
Speaker 1: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: But these are kinds that you know, I've tasted weller, that's the nice part about it. You know some of these I know, you have no idea. It's a very it's a very smooth bourbon, and just I think it's a it's a great raffle ticket.
Speaker 2: That's what are they call those eighteen year old Pappy van winkles that you never get to taste because anybody ever bothers to open them. But anyway, drinkable it is. And the tickets it's a fifty bucks per ticket, yep, and four for one hundred and fifty, so you score yourself in an extra one by buying in bulk.
Speaker 3: So you can either come out be in person and enjoy a very nice night and if you're out of the city and then well then certainly go buy a raffle. You got both options here and we thank Party Source for their help and being able to make this happen.
Speaker 2: Now, when will the drawing for the separate raffle ticket? When will that drawing take place?
Speaker 3: The raffle ticket will be on I believe the Monday afterwards. Okay, So we allow ourselves to clean up a little bit and then that's what we draw it. And then the folks can come down to the Party Source and get their winnings.
Speaker 2: By the winner of the winning selection for that not going to drink it all right, So if you if whether or not you go to the Bourbon Baron Bash again, you get the information in the tickets to my web patriot dive Carency dot com. Buy a Bourbon barrel full ticket to improve your odds and get yourself some seriously good bourbon. And speaking of seriously good, one more critical thing to talk about every single year. I look forward to it. The cones for the cure. Thanks the greaters, the wonderful greaters, family for the Elena's Blueberry Pie ice cream exactly. Oh my god, it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's how we connected. What was it sixteen years ago? Was you were talking about it and you didn't even know anything about it.
Speaker 2: So geez, Louise, it sastes so good, The blueberry stasts so dang fresh.
Speaker 3: And it's still the same. I mean, it's absolutely wonderful. They got some new things that they're coming out and this starts. We don't know how to plan events well apparently because this starts next Thursday too, so we have, you know, this starting on Thursday, we have the Bourbon Bar and Bash it starts next that's next Saturday, so everything all at once. But okay, the market saturation, you know what, it's better than doing a five K. We'd much rather do an event like this and do ice cream and that way we don't have to run.
Speaker 2: Well, and you won't find me at a five okay, but you will find me at the Burke Bear.
Speaker 3: Well, and Greaters is actually going to be at the Bourbon baron Bash as well. But aside from all of that, it's a wonderful ice cream. It's named after my daughter, This benefits cancer research and the home run cancer research. And this kicks off. It's eleven days and folks can go to the Greater Sweet Reward app or they can go to Conesfothecure dot org and then get a cube on for a free scoop of ice cream. Now you can come in and take advantage of that. We hope that you donate as well. This is going to raise probably even in the first day, we're going to eclipse a two million dollar mark since this campaign started. Holy cow, And that's just fantastic. I mean, that's probably a funded twenty different trials, probably impacted four hundred lives. I mean, it's just it's exactly what the type of thing you want to see come from this.
Speaker 2: And that's why I love your organization, because you know, you give to a big organization like United where whatever you really don't ever get in touch with or hear about what exactly happened with the money, how how was used. You actually have can demonstrate what the value is for people's you know, participating, donating, you know, showing up the bourbon baron bascas proceeds obviously going to go to fund cancer research, but you actually fund these trials exactly.
Speaker 3: We've funded thirty four million dollars since we were started. We're a very lean organization run by parents. We have our overheads like three percent or less, so we are all about trying to make sure that this is impactful. And some of the biggest discoveries, you know, I can see in the last probably well several years, we're probably three of them, and that's yeah, and we're a small organization by far, but it's it's about doing it by strategy and having partners like you know, Greaters really helps to build that up because they are this is a fun campaign.
Speaker 1: It's a chance they set.
Speaker 3: They decorate the stores, the employees get involved, we do rallies, all kinds of stuff like that, and the families come out to support it. And there's some interesting things that they have. This year, they made a blueberry pie pie, so it's an ice cream pie. Oh my god, that's been blueberry pie fashion, which it sounds a bit redundant. I had it yesterday.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: And then they have another thing which I kind of looked at it and went, I'm not sure about that, but it's a a peanut butter and blueberry pie. Sunday, and so it's made with peanut butter and everything, and you kind of think, okay, that's I'm not sure I had that. We were doing an interview and I had it for the first time in the interview. I ate the entire thing on the air there, and I don't think I did an effective interview, but.
Speaker 1: It didn't stop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they have that at the stores. You know, obviously we're clips in the two million dollar mark. We hope to raise about three hundred thousand dollars and eleven days through this. And in addition to that, last year we had a gentleman who walked in and normally they'll ask for dollar five dollars and with five dollars, by the way, you had to cupeon books, which is which is worth again, well, the cupon books is worth thirty five dollars. You get a free cone in the media the moment you give effectively five. So it's it's a no brainer if you're ever going to get ice cream before the end of the year, right.
Speaker 1: And so they do that.
Speaker 3: But this guy came in and instead of doing one of those donations, he said, I want to do a donation of ten thousand dollars and you kidding, well, that was that was amazing, amazing, And so they have all these cones that they put on the walls with the five dollars one dollars. They didn't know what to do with this one, so we made a special one that's going to be at the stores or at one of the stores for the ten thousand dollars for up there. So that's kind of cool and we can celebrate.
Speaker 1: That, isn't it great? There are people out there like that.
Speaker 3: It is it is and just out of the generous generosity of his heart and just showing up and offering that that went to a lot of work and hopefully funded well not hopefully, we know it funded a lot of good research.
Speaker 2: And I absolutely going back to and not to poke fun at the United Way, but they have a lot of overhead. You point out, three percent is all you have to take to keep the organization running, and that means that you know, ninety seven of every hundred dollars is going to go to fund these research and the other important thing. And I think it can't be lost on my listeners. One of the reasons there wasn't much research into geoblastom is because the children's lifespan was like four to six months or something like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean this is this is the kind of the worst of all cancers. It is a cancer that there usually is not survivors from it. But it's the same kind of cancer that doctors say that if we can beat this, we can probably knock off every other cancer out there.
Speaker 2: But the incentive to do clinical trials when the mortality rate was so high, and the ability to study them and provide treatment option with such a narrow window, it led to limited research even into it. So that's where you came in and started finding some of these clinical trau that and frankly, the doctors were excited to do it. But the problem with it is they get out of college and everybody would tell them, don't focus on that.
Speaker 1: That's too tough.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry, but coming from as an entrepreneur, tough problems are where the biggest opportunities lie. And I think that's what folks miss is you got to focus on the big ideas part of it. If we're actually going to cure this, we don't want to be sitting here eight years from now talking about how we treated cancer for the last eighty years. We want to be talking about how we cured cancer, and so you got to take on the tough problems, but you also got to break them down. And you know that's what we I think we do effectively. You do is we look at a problem and we break it down into smaller bits and then we fix it and we we gear the strategy in a longitude in all way.
Speaker 2: Well, and you've also been successful in bringing cancer research doctors from around the world together to collectively sit down exit share their research and work cooperatively with each other rather than maintain that little fiefdom that is typical.
Speaker 3: And we have a great resource with Cincinni Children's I mean they even named their Brain tumber Institute the Cure Starts Down Brain Tumor Institute. But we do believe in many different minds and so we fund research in twenty nine countries thus far. And so you got to bring more folks to the table.
Speaker 2: Bring it to the table next week the Bourbon Baron Bash. Get your tickets to the Casey dot com web page or just go to Bourbonbaronbash dot org directly get the raffle ticket separately, so you get a chance to win some of this outstanding well or Well Bourbon, and of course get into Greater's ice cream any Greater's location after next next Thursday. Beginning next Thursday, you got a window of opportunity there eating the free cone. Just buy the coupon book five bucks. You get more value out of the coupon book than your five bucks. The five bucks will help cure cancer, and hell, if you've got ten grand, they'll take it well.
Speaker 1: Best of luck. I will hopefully see you next weekend.
Speaker 2: The Bourbon Baron Bash, and I know we'll be seeing each other throughout the year to talk about more of your events.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, Brian, and best of love to your better half.
Speaker 2: Seven twenty here fifty five KRCY Talk Stations Cover Sincy. Mary sent me An a Facebook message yesterday she got in touch with Covers sincey she went to see her doctor. She got an X ray at her doctor's office, she got her cortisone injection, apparently she was having problems with their shoulder, and then after the insurance company paid for everything, she got a check for ninety bucks in the mail. That's what working with Cover Sinci and John Roman and his team can do for you.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: I checked back after they paid for the insurance. You're like, what, Well, my son got a check for about I think it was two hundred dollars after you went and got a physical from his PCP. Yeah, that's the way it works cover since he has multiple different ways to ensure you medically, and it's going to be better than what you got that one size fits all allegedly policy from your employer. They work with hundreds of insurance companies, have thousands of policies and they'll put a package of insurance together that can give you that dollar one coverage may result in a check landing in your pocket. They will resolve and work out all the problems you might face when you're dealing with insurance claims. Sometimes claims don't get paid. You don't have to call the insurance company cover since he'll do it for you. Just get in touch with them. It's an amazing thing, and all it takes is a few minutes of your time to see if they can save you like they are doing every single day. People fouls of dollars annually with better coverage, no obligation, just time. Call them up and spend a little time and it may work to your advantage like it did for Mary five one three eight hundred Call five one three eight hundred two two five five online, use a form you can fill out on the website and where you can learn more Coversinc. Dot com.
Speaker 3: This is fifty five KRC, an iHeartRadio station.
Speaker 1: Get ready to win your way to our twenty twenty four Iheartwah