Speaker 1: All right, this segment right here is brought to you by Rollertown beer Works, and it's gonna tie into the whole segment we're doing here, Ben, because first of all, Rollertown beer Works is the brewery up there in Solina that you and I.
Speaker 2: Are partners in.
Speaker 1: And we have two big things going on this week, and one of them ties into the topic that is the lead story on every news channel. We've talked about it multiple times, and that is the Mavericks have traded Luka Doncic. And there's a lot to think through, but it is very obvious that the Metroplex is devastated by this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm just.
Speaker 1: Being objective here seeing reaction. Even if you, like you're not a Maverick fan or basketball fan. Let's say you only follow rugby and you're watching this, You're going, God, everyone sure to love this Luca guy. It's the lead story, and it's the entire front page of the paper and look at this. So everyone that listens to the show knows how closely we feel or strongly we feel about Luca and the MAVs and all this, But objectively, it's far it's one of the biggest stories in the nation because it's so shocking. So originally, you and I we're gonna have what we call a sound doown game watching party because the MAVs play the Celtics on Thursday, and we're gonna do it at the brewery and turn the sound down and commentate the game. What we've decided to do with you, suitet listener is we're still gonna have the game going on, and we'll tell you about what that is in a second, but we're gonna invite everyone out and we are just going to all share our feelings together. We're gonna drink some cold, delicious beer. We have nineteen fresh local beers on tap. Cheddar Wheel is a great food truck. It's gonna be there. But we're just gonna turn it into like a therapy session, right like a public forum convent. If you want to tell us we're wrong, if you want us to hug you, if you want.
Speaker 2: To drink beer.
Speaker 1: But we're gonna have the game on the Celtic and by then Anthony Davis may be playing, I don't know, but the game on on a giant ninety eight inch four K television that we're then gonna turn around and give away on Sunday at our super Bowl party at Rollertown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna we're gonna use it twice.
Speaker 3: We're gonna use it for a MAV watching party and then to watch the super Bowl. And then after the super Bowl, someone's gonna win that TV and we're gonna put it back in the box and get it.
Speaker 2: Over to your house. What's a a box? So?
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, So we have Thursday night if you want to give us your MAVs opinions and hear what we have to say in person, and sometimes even better stuff can happen off the record. Come hang out with us Thursday night at Rollertown and then Sunday you can watch the super Bowl with us at Rollertown on that big ninety eight ch TV.
Speaker 2: And somebody can win that thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I just know in order to win that thing, you have to be registered to our newsletter at Benin's, So go to Beninskin dot com you can, and also at Beninskin dot com.
Speaker 2: This ties into the segment. You will find a link to the YouTube.
Speaker 1: Video we did today our our Maverick emergency super Soaker. So we went on the air at ten o'clock and we logged off at eleven forty five. We talked MAVs and Luca for an hour and forty five minutes. So if you want to get the full download, do it tonight. Man, I would encourage you to listen to Christina. You're going to be playing music here in about fifteen minutes, aren't you.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, fifteen minutes, So.
Speaker 1: Maybe like listen to Christina and listen to the video at the same time. Yeah, that would probably be sensical. I think we needed that conversation. I mean, I thought we were going to go for an hour. Looked up, it was an hour and forty five minutes. We covered every single angle this thing, from the emotion to the basketball, to the x's and o's, what does it mean from here?
Speaker 2: What else might they do?
Speaker 3: There was a lot to unpack, and so I've seen from a lot of people they thought it was very therapeutic, and we're grateful. We love hearing that if we helped you feel better in just a littless way, that means a lot to us. But yeah, so Thursday night at Rollertown and then Super Bowl Sunday at Rollertown.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, like I saw the comments you were talking about too bad about people. I mean, that's great and we appreciate that, but come do it with us in person on Thursday, like, tell us what you think. You know, we want to talk through all this, and as you guys know, I'm always looking for an excuse to drink beer. So come drink beer with us, eat some food, and we'll continue this Luca conversation. And I actually feel like this is the part that nobody wants to talk about. And I understand this is still a great team and we feel tremendous loss, but I still think that if this team is healthy, they can win a championship this year. That's how strongly I feel about the roster. Yeah, it's a great roster. Berkley says they're the second best team in the Western Conference now.
Speaker 2: Which I think they were before.
Speaker 3: Anyways, you know, I think what you get down to is, if you ask all Maverick fans, everybody listening to this right now on the Eagle, would you rather have Luca on the Mavericks for the next ten years?
Speaker 2: But you do not win the championship.
Speaker 3: You go in lots of great adventures, He makes lots of trick shots, He has that Luca Magic, maybe he sets a new scoring record, who knows. But you go ten years with no championship, would you rather have that or go two years without Luca and win a championship in one of those years with Anthony Davis? Like, what's more valuable to you? And for me this may be an irrational take. I want the journey. I want Luca. I want the decade of magical memories. I don't want if you go win a championship but a couple of years with mercenaries, you've hired that you're not really invested in or attached to, and you haven't gone through all the hardship along the way to make the journey that much more special, it doesn't mean as much. But maybe I'd say that something different, Like I enjoyed that Rangers World Series and I wasn't attached to those players, to KT's point, like I was to Michael Young, Ian Kensler, Josh Hamilton, Napoli.
Speaker 2: You know, but I enjoyed that World Series.
Speaker 3: But I enjoyed I you know, I enjoyed what the Dirk did in twenty eleven more than anything I've ever enjoyed in my sports life.
Speaker 2: Because he worked so hard to get it.
Speaker 3: He was overwhelmed, crying and didn't want to be a part of the postgame festivities because he just had to go be by himself. That's how we all felt in that moment. Yeah, I feel like this is yeah, might work. It's great that it worked for you. You know, it just seems cold. Yeah, I understand all that. I think it's super valid. I think that those things take time, hurt, you know. I'm sure I'm butchering this. The line is sometimes attributed to Woody Allen where he says comedy is nothing but tragedy plus time. Yeah, you know, and so like right now, it's just it's too overwhelming and too shocking too, I think, be rational. But as I sit here and I listen to you give me those two options, I'm like, what I get to see Kyrie Irving's redemption story.
Speaker 2: That sounds amazing. Sign me up, right.
Speaker 3: That's That's the other thing I have not been thinking about kai that nobody has. We're thinking about the pain we feel because Luca's not here. But I love Kyrie too. I love him. I love what he means to basketball. I love watching him play the game. I love the human being that he is I want to know what he feels about this, and we may never know, but if he also if him and Ja Kid and Michael Finley and other people in the organization were like, this sucks but we have to do that, that changes how I feel about it.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, because okay, I want to take We talked about this earlier just tuning in. You know, Nico kind of laid out a scenario in which only he and Patrick Dumont on the Maverick side knew about the trade until it happened.
Speaker 2: But okay, are we going to take him at face value about that? In that case?
Speaker 1: That absolves everyone from the anger we feel except for Nico, and except for the new owner, which is a businessman and doesn't have a history of knowing basketball and believes in Nico. Right, so you know, no one's going to quoe unquote blame him or whatever. This makes it feel like it's very Nico and Nico made the decision. But I don't think the things that are detailed in articles about what the did you see the Mark Stein quote where the Mavericks organization was quote over Luka Doncic Like, I don't have the exact quote from really yeah, sort of that.
Speaker 3: One of his ones that come out and email, cause I read everything that's coming out from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was the one that came out, I believe on Sunday where he said the Mavericks organization was over Luka doncic, Like what the the being out of shape, the complaining to officials, the all of this, Like, man, we're over it, right, like right, So, and that's Stein's reporting from people in the organization. And so if we take that at face value, what that means is that they've had conversations, all of them, Findley, Nico, Matt McCarty, like all these people in the scouting department, the analytics guys, like they've had all these conversations. And during those conversations, aren't you guys, Hey, man, I've got numbers that when Luca gets a tech for complaining that we lose one point nine points purposes, Like they have numbers for all this. Okay, So as they're having their discussion like we've got to stop this, I'm sick of this that and everyone's like, yes, I agree. That's different than Okay, you guys want trade him for Anthony Davis. I bet they go Hell no, way, what do you do hold on, Okay, these things aren't mutually exclusive. We can be angry at the twenty five year old and then not trade him for only Anthony Davis. So there's a lot to this when we sort through it from the outside. But I do think what I think Nico made his mind up that it was a bad idea for the organization to pay him the Supermax, and I think he said determined, I want Anthony Davis because I think Anthony Davis's can put us over the top and we go win a championship like that. It's okay for other people in the organization to feel anger with Luca, but that doesn't mean they would do that same deal if they were consulted.
Speaker 2: Huh, they didn't get enough back for him.
Speaker 3: It's universally, I mean, pretty much everyone on the planet is saying, this is probably going to be the worst trade that ever happens in professional sports.
Speaker 2: Unless it's not unless they win a championship.
Speaker 3: Unless they win championships, unless Luca's his career is not what we think it's going to be. You know, if Lucas struggles with his weight, with his lifestyle, with drinking whatever that is, and never really ends up being what we all think he could be if he gets like, look at what Joel Embiid is going through right now, right you know, look at what Zion is going through right now. If it's almost as if they're saying, we think that's the road Luca's gonna go down right now, and that's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: And like, you know who one of the most revered players is in the history of the NBA, loved by his peers, Hall of Fame, Alan Iverson, And he went hard and his career was over at thirty three.
Speaker 2: He went hard in terms of off the court both okay.
Speaker 1: Like he was the He's considered by a lot of people. Hear the phrase he's the toughest little guy of all time because he took so much.
Speaker 2: But he was in.
Speaker 1: He shut every casino down, He drank a lot, He gambled away his family fortune like he went that man went. But he was also Alan Iverson was imprisoned as a high school kid because a fight happened at a bowling alley in a racist state.
Speaker 2: Like there's a lot different it happens with these things.
Speaker 3: I want to know, as we put a bow on this, how Christine is doing because when we got here to look at her, she looks like she's crying.
Speaker 4: No, I wasn't crying today. I did cheer up a bit well this morning actually, but okay, no, you brought up if we do win this year, I don't care if we win next year, I don't.
Speaker 2: We don't. We're not winning with Luca feel right, and.
Speaker 4: So it's like I do not care. I'll be pissed, honestly, if we win this year.
Speaker 2: I think time will help.
Speaker 1: Time will help, and it maybe next year. But again, I love Luca, but I'm invested in Kyrie. I'm invested in PJ. Washington Junior. I'm invested in The Landlord Man. I love watching Yeah, I love watching How the Derek Lively The Second Story.
Speaker 2: Dude, Yeah, dude, dude.
Speaker 1: It's tough day, tough weekend, but we got more shows tomorrow. Christina Ray is next. I'll never forget the time KT looked Omax dead in his eye and he said, well, that'll do it for this one, and.
Speaker 2: Omax was confused because he didn't know who KT was.
Speaker 1: Christina k Ray Ray is next right here on ninety seven point won the Eagle.
Speaker 2: There you going you well, I'm gonna get my sack back, Dude, alight.