Speaker 1: Welcome to men, sex and Tundra.
Speaker 2: Discover where your parents, porn and religion never taught you about being a man and having extraordinary sex. Get ready to have your mind blown and your world rocked.
Speaker 3: Okay, we are back.
Speaker 2: I still have Oliver with me, and we just have you know, so I don't know most of you guys probably don't know this. Maybe I've said it on a different episode. But what I do is I usually get a guest in. We usually book out two hours and we pick four topics and then we kind of roll through this. So I always say we'll be back in a minute, because literally I'm hitting record off talking and talking to Oliver, who's clearly passionate about.
Speaker 3: All of these subjects.
Speaker 2: He's like, I love to info dump on the subject we're passionate about.
Speaker 3: We just go crazy.
Speaker 2: So some of the things that we talk about in between, just those like few minutes even in between, become either fodder for the next one or something that's super interesting. And what we want to talk about this time is the idea of aging. Of course we're going to relate it to wolves as well, but we're a society that really values youth, and this is the other thing. You'll hear these guys talking about the idea of high value, the idea of you know, oh, the guys should be like looking. You know, he's only interested in those those fertility cues, and you know, all of these things, and the whole idea of most of these guys who think they're alpha really to me and I can't say the word. I keep trying to say the right word, but basically they're trying to make the women I think really be their daughters. Like the idea of you know, I can teach them everything. They can't make decisions without me. They're like so soft and like everything's so soft and whatever, and I'm just leaning up to my big man. You know, these ideas are put that along with everybody's shaving all their pussy hair off for the last however long, and we're starting to look a little bit like huh yeah, anyway, So where does it put those of us that are aging out of the mainstream everybody's looking at now, Look, men take a lot longer to age out. Men in their forties and forty five. I think forty forty to fifty is when they start looking really hot, like you know, that's they look like men. They've like grown into the man experience. And so that is a thing. I'm somebody who dates fifteen years younger, which is always surprised everybody, but I typically date younger, and I still think you, yeah, so sorry, and your wife is happy about that too. So so that but the idea that you know, and I'm saying, I'm shallowing that way right, Like I'm literally telling you, here's this age thing, and I tend to date younger, and it's an entergy jetic equation, not a looks equation. But I've changed that recently. I literally purposely changed that because I realized how shallow that is in a sense of both energetically, physically, lots of being met, like we have wisdom. There's a thing about being older that really is hotter, but we don't talk about that in society.
Speaker 3: We don't.
Speaker 2: We covet youth. Well, that's what we're all about. So let's jump into some like you know what in the wolf pack and the wolf family groups, are they automatically like I would imagine people think that, oh, the old the older wolf is like singing behind.
Speaker 3: They're leaving it behind.
Speaker 2: So like somebody's got to take it out and just like make sure that the weak link is gone.
Speaker 4: So let's talk about that, because it's as we've mentioned, I've I think it's reasonable to say that there's very few, if anybody, who spend as much time in direct contact with these animals as me. I mean, even the best biologists in the field are, you know, getting occasional glimpses of the animals. I walk out my door right and we are set up in a way that our animals. You know, certainly captive animals are different than while wild, free living animals, but we do everything we can to give our animals the opportunity to exercise as much of their wild behaviors and inclinations as possible so that we get to see that I'm kind of living my own experiment. And as we mentioned before, you know that my oldest animal is still the one everybody defers to. And people might say, oh, well, you know, that's an artificial circumstance.
Speaker 1: Your animals are captive, they're being cared for, or they don't have to perform.
Speaker 4: But here's what we've learned recently, and I think this is to me, this was so fascinating because there's a lot of wolf research being conducted around the world, and I read all of it very rarely as a study where I've just amazed and this and again had to the research coming out of the Yellstone Wolf Project over the last twenty years or.
Speaker 1: So has been really important.
Speaker 4: But in the last decade there's been a couple of young scientists that have just been transformational in our understanding of wolf dynamics. And so one of the studies done principally by cur Cassidy looked at wolf conflict in the park.
Speaker 1: There are around one hundred wolves.
Speaker 4: That are in the pretty much in the principal area of Yellowstone National Park. For those of that aren't familiar with the park, it exists in three states, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, and around the park there's there's hunting and so wolves that step out of this secured boundary can be hunted.
Speaker 1: But what they were looking at was, as we mentioned, wolves.
Speaker 4: Fight with other wolves over resources, over territorial boundaries, and there are times when wolves actually make a it appears that they decide to go to wolf like you will actually see the wolves come charging over a ridge into another pack's territory with the obvious intent of taking it over, and so what doctor, she's now a doctor. Congratulations Kia. What she looked at was two things, what were the uh pack composition characteristics that led to the decision to engage and who was going to win? And she created a matrix that was really interesting and sort of unsurprisingly. The first part was unsurprising, which was that whatever pack had more of what she considered prime age males, which your age two to five, like, more likely to get into fights, and whatever pack had an advantage in that age cohort was more likely to prevail. It makes sense, not very surprising. Accept and this is the thing that was so amazing. Accept that. And so what she did is she assigned weights, like numerical weights to those numbers, and she could just add up those numbers and say, okay, this is you know, a pack with a plus two is more likely to get in the fight, and a pack with a plus two is more likely to win.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: Essentially, it was something almost as simple as that. But what she discovered was that, regardless of sex, what whenever a pack had an animal over eight years old, which is a very rare wolf, that is an old wolf, even in populations that aren't hunted. Right, life expectancy in the wild is two to five. It's hard to be a wolf though, even though in captivity a wolf can live to be sixteen seventeen years old, that's not unusual, so they could live longer, but nature kills them.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The oldest wolves in the Yellowstone that they've documented, in fact, until recently, a wolf I don't remember her numeric designation off the top of my head. She was thirteen and had one eye when she passed, and she was still leading her family.
Speaker 1: And there was.
Speaker 4: Another one a few years ago, twelve females, both females. But what she found was that a eight year old wolf of either sex was worth two. So it was like a plus four in her equation. And it's not because they were the best fighters. It's not because they were the most aggressive. It's because they knew what to do, wisdom, strategy, experience, And I think that that's a very important thing to keep.
Speaker 1: In mind in life, right.
Speaker 4: I mean, you and I were discussing, you know, we get to an age where you start to you know, be aged out.
Speaker 1: Of jobs of you know, and you know.
Speaker 4: And companies are losing opportunity, huge opportunity because people have wisdom, and wisdom transcend. You can learn new stuff about tech, right, but you don't know what you don't know. Yeah, if you're young and a lot of you know, more senior leaders, more senior people, they've seen this stuff. They've been through financial downturns, they've been through you know, times when you know investment dollars are short or interest rates are high, or you know, they know how to lead or to adapt to the circumstances in just the same way that old wolves or matriarchal elephants know what to do when there's no water.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you're right, there is a certain a certain thing that happens for you were saying. And men men, you know, usually it's when they're up closer to sixty that men start to be overlooked. Let's say for women, you know, we're like forty five. I mean, it's the new kind of thing at forty five. I hear men say I like dating older women thirty five. I'm like, dude, that's an holler. A woman is thirty five to forty I'm like.
Speaker 3: Laughing my ass off.
Speaker 2: So the idea that you know over forty five, and we could say fertility cues and whatever start to wane or whatever.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm going to be sixty four this year.
Speaker 2: I'm actually living my best life of several decades, and I feel like I'm about to do my best work ever. That's how I'm feeling now. Of course, if you buy into your aging and you stop having passion and you stop doing anything or whatever, then yeah, you're right, you are going to decline in lots of ways. But if you believe that age is just a thing, and you can take all those that wisdom and all the other experience and start ramping that up in a new way, there are studies that show you do your best work between sixty and eighty if you are literally still tuned in, dialed up. And then when it comes to tech stuff, you said, we can learn tech.
Speaker 3: I have been involved in tech for a long time.
Speaker 2: I'm speaking about AI and consciousness. I'm in the front of that whole thing. It doesn't mean because I'm older, you know, I can't learn things or do new things or whatever else.
Speaker 3: But that's a mindset.
Speaker 2: However, dating, sex, attraction, all of those things. It's very interesting to be older in those spaces. And if you're married, you know, and you roll into your fifties and sixties, you know, hopefully you picked your mate not just based on attraction, because like stuff's gonna change, man, stuff is starting to go south, Like things are different. My body is the least interesting thing about me at this age, Like definitely, I would just say that that is like clear and so if I'm trading commodities on my looks in my body, I'm in trouble. But the other stuff that picks up, the other things where you don't care as much about what people think, that you've leaned into those things that make you interesting, that you're not a pologetic anymore. I wrote a post on Facebook dating over sixty. I mean, I've just had four million views on my Facebook post. By the wait, guys, if you're not checking out my Facebook, you should be jumping in there. But been writing about casual sex and all these different things. I feel like, yeah, I'm like literally on fire in my life in a way that I've never been no matter what.
Speaker 3: So in the wolf Pack, we hear.
Speaker 4: That the old wolves are there, and you know what, there's a picture that I'm sure all you guys have seen that it's like a long line of wolves and it's like the oldest wolf. And this is so tiring for me because I know exactly the picture because it's the druids. It's actually I'm going to talk about this pack in my Ted talk but tucks ucks ed X. Sorry, thank you ted X talk. But the thing about the picture is that it's got like arrow's pointing like the oldest wolve's lead and blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: No they don't. That isn't how it works. Wolves are smarter than that.
Speaker 4: Why would you tie out the animals that are already the least robust, you know, but you know, wolves, wolves are just too smart for that kind of foolishness, right, Like it's just silliness. You know, wolves take turns breaking trail in deep snow because it's exhausting. It's way easier to take turns. They're all about efficiency.
Speaker 3: Like drafting on a bike.
Speaker 4: Right, it's exactly the same thing. It's exactly the same thing. But you know, I mean think about think about you know, if we go to military for a minute, right, you know, you don't put your general out there to get you know, on the firing line. The general's back there calling the shots, like, yeah, I know where we need to go, right, I know I know where the enemy is weak. I know where food is I need you know, right, and there's there's clear and now we know we know that there's clearly huge value in.
Speaker 1: That collected cultural knowledge in wolves, and I would like to think in people. I mean, you know, I find that season right, there's a term seasoned executive.
Speaker 4: Right, you know what that means. It doesn't mean you're spiced appropriately. It means you've seen some shit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: And so we're taking these wolves that are smart, or these wolves that are smart because of experience, they're seasoned, they've been through the stuff, they've they're able to guide the rest of the pack into a better space.
Speaker 3: Leaders that are seasoned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know what that we do in people that we don't do in wolves. And the reason that seasoned leaders are replaced because it costs more.
Speaker 1: That's true, right, I'm expensive, right, Like.
Speaker 2: Exactly, So what expense does an older wolf have on a pack, if at all, if that's even been studied, because.
Speaker 4: It certainly they've looked at it, and you would call that carrying cost, right, And the carrying cost is you know, I mean every every wolf is a mouth to feed. Every wolf needs you know, three and a half four pounds of meat on average a day, right, I'm meaning.
Speaker 2: Half of that as a carnivore. Carnivore, I'm meaning about half of that a day.
Speaker 4: And I so and to be fair, like, we feed our animals around two and a half pounds a day. But the thing is that when you look at the numbers, they're not expending all these calories to.
Speaker 2: Get They're not hunting yet, exactly right, and so.
Speaker 4: We we adjust, right, but we know and I got into a very embarrassed you know, one of those being wrong. I got into a very embarrassing argument with a fellow biologist about how much wolves need to eat.
Speaker 1: And when I was early in my career.
Speaker 4: You know, like I've been feeding wolves for you know, ten years, and he was like, yeah, wild wolves feed themselves galeries to do it, buddy, it's very humble.
Speaker 1: I'm still embarrassed. You It's one of those things I look back.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, God, I can't believe I did that, right, Like, I didn't know what I didn't know I was, you know, I was an expert in you know, this tiny little wedge that he didn't give.
Speaker 1: A shit about.
Speaker 2: So what is the carrying cost?
Speaker 4: That is, basically, so the caring cost is that they may not be the most effective hunters. They still need to be fed, they may even need to be helped, right, they're not, but their wisdom in knowing where the food is is way more valuable than the cost to that group. And oftentimes even even though they could be displaced, right, we were just I was just mentioning, you know, and ultiple talk about an animal that's arguably the most famous alpha wolf in history, Wolf twenty one, and Wolf twenty one, even when he was very old, he was still even though he was no longer the breeding male in his pack, so no longer technically the alpha wolf in biological nomenclature, he was still unquestionably the leader.
Speaker 2: And so being the leader once again the whole wisdom, the age, the experience and things like that. Now, if you know, in our culture, just because you're older doesn't mean you have experience or wisdom.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of old idiots.
Speaker 2: You said that, Okay, I love that. Though there are a lot of old idiots. So I think what we don't want to be is those idiots. And also just stop blaming age. The thing that I'm really tired to hear is people use age as the reason for whatever. Well, I'm just getting older. Now. Look, doctors play into that part. I'll say this right now. I've gone to a doctor and said I have X, Y and Z and they're like, well, you're getting older.
Speaker 3: I'm like, fuck that.
Speaker 2: I literally said that.
Speaker 3: Fuck that.
Speaker 1: You and I have had some similar conversations. Give me a.
Speaker 3: Different explanation for what this could be the same with fat. Just because you have.
Speaker 2: Fat on your body doesn't make everything about your fucking fat.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: It's like, uh yeah, so all of these kind of things. We have to, I believe, fight for our bit to be vital, even if your body's going south.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: You and I are ex athletes. I was an extreme athlete. Man, I've been beat test shit.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know.
Speaker 2: So I've had it, thirty nine broken bones, fifteen dislocations, I've got thirty four surgical scars.
Speaker 3: I've been there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're in that there too, and that's an unfortunate.
Speaker 2: And I yet I refuse to just say well that's because and instead say what can I do instead? And so that's that's that resilience. But part of it is because my experience has shown me that just because I'm told this doesn't mean I have to own this.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: So three four incurable illnesses, I've cured them. I'm working on my fifth impossible to heal peripheral level five peripheral neuropathy. Guess what my feet hurt the other day. Guess what that means? I felt them. I haven't felt them in a decade.
Speaker 1: So yeah, and we're ware there too. We discussed that earlier, exactly, So.
Speaker 2: I think I think that experience, if you lean into that resilience, if you lean into the intelligence that hopefully you've built over the years. Once again, your quote unquote desirability may not be that you are the best hunter.
Speaker 3: It may not be that you look the best you could look.
Speaker 2: But what it does mean is that experience, the wisdom, the things you gain, but most importantly, the things you let go of as you season, is what starts to make you more interesting, more attractive in a different way, and definitely a better potential partner and mate when you were young and dumb.
Speaker 4: I think competent I mean, for me, I think competence and efficiency are really sexy.
Speaker 1: I think they are really appealing.
Speaker 4: And I mean my wife and I for example, like you know, I mean thirty years ago, I think we invested time in having certain, you know, stylish wardrobes.
Speaker 1: Right now, we have uniforms.
Speaker 4: We wake up wear the same shit every single I have five pairs of the same pants. In fact, the other day, as I was explaining to my wife, She's like.
Speaker 1: Why why have so many of those?
Speaker 4: I'm like, well, they're not the same really, like this is for this weather, and this is for when it's this much warmer, and they're all the same, right, they look exactly the same on the outside.
Speaker 1: Yeah, different purpose. And that's efficiency for me.
Speaker 4: I never have to think about what I'm gonna wear in the morning because I'm wearing the same thing. I asked, Alexa, what's the temperature, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just went to that.
Speaker 2: Recently, people have been asking me in the last year and a half, do you ever wear a different shirt? I'm like, yeah, actually I have four of these different colors. But literally, I'm working on the minimalist uniform. I get up, I don't waste time wondering what I'm going to wear.
Speaker 1: Steve's jobs pioneered that right. I mean, but men, that's.
Speaker 2: Cool, Like men have been doing that for a long time and it's okay, but still women get talked about. So what I've done is I have an assortment of necklaces over here, so literally, and I want to change my look. There you go and all of a sudden the right look different.
Speaker 3: But yeah, so I like it.
Speaker 2: Efficiency and competence is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Is that maybe when you.
Speaker 4: Say you know how to do something, I love a god no know how to do it like we is funny. The other day we were drive. We were driving. We'd gone to run an air and kind of off the mountain and we were coming back and my wife was like, oh, let's take this back road so we can take the what we had one of the wolves in the car and and so she could go swim in the river. So we're taking this back road and my wife is always driving. She drives, I manage animals. She's she she likes the long she she would have been a great long haul trucker. She loves to just get It's funny because she's she's an Asian lady, right, I was. Whatever she screws up, we attributed to Asian, you know, being an Asian driver. But the reality is she's super competent. She can drive trucks and pull trailers and all this shit. But so we get a flat and it's in a bad place. I mean, we're like on this hairpin road with nowhere the flat where it's not safe to like do anything, And and she's starting to get stressed out, and she's like, call Triple A. And I'm like, do you want me to get the sad phone where there's no service?
Speaker 3: Like, okay, the smoke, the bad signal?
Speaker 4: Right, I'm like and and and I'm like, and she'd never seen me have to do this, Like, in all the decades have been together, we'd never gotten one of these situations. But when you grow up on a ranch, you get any situations on the daily. And and so I'm like, I just just get out the car so I can get us to a place where I can set the vehicle and do the work. And she she's a little you know, irritated and concerned and you know, pushing to get to a place with a signal. And I'm like, I got this, honey, I got this. And yeah, twenty minutes later, we were back on the road because I actually when I say now how to do and I tell her all the time, I'm like dab after twenty three years. When I say I know how to do something, I've got it.
Speaker 1: How to do it? Right? So just and that's I mean that.
Speaker 4: And if you were on a date, you have you have a great, great opportunity to prove you're awesome, right, but don't. But but don't be the guy that gets trapped under your own vehicle because you don't know how to.
Speaker 1: Go is not sexy. You will not get a second date.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got this.
Speaker 2: I got this, and it's clear that you don't have that. It's sexier to to call triple air.
Speaker 1: Say hey, let's call triple hand.
Speaker 4: Let's go on a walk, let's turn this into a picnic while we wait, and you know, be adaptable because adaptability is sexy, and competence is sexy. Incompetence and failure to adapt is just dumb. And that that girl's already texting or friends about you right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah absolutely so I would say the same thing.
Speaker 1: So I like that.
Speaker 3: So, guys, you heard that.
Speaker 2: You when you're aging out of the whatever the attraction zone or whatever the hell, aging is you understand that you have more assets than your six pack or whatever it is you thought you had or you know. And life is kinder with men that are older in a lot of regards because you know, people say, oh it's sexy, they got the beer, the gray and the whatever. Men tend to look wiser, more experienced, older. There's a lot of stuff that goes along with that. But if you're incompetent, or you do you are, you aren't using your skill set. Okay, that's the thing. You aren't using your skill set. We used to say there was three types of men. The man that can afford to call somebody, can afford to get it fixed, the man that can fix anything, and the dumb ass guy.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 2: You know, learn something, improve your skill set. If you're taking care of a woman.
Speaker 3: What does that mean.
Speaker 2: It doesn't mean you have to know everything and just know when you don't know something, either go learn it or don't claim you do. Because yes, you're right, that is very unsexy for women. I want men to consider this as a woman that's out in the day, as I'm single and out in the dating world, I will say that we have to steal ourselves if you don't go read my post on what It's like like. Most people are saying that was a really great post to read, you know, dating after sixty and knowing full well that I don't bring the attraction that I used to bring, and looking across from a man who's already decided that I must be dried up, not interested in sex, you know whatever, that most of us that are still interested in sex at this age are going to be way hotter than we ever were at a younger age. I'm just going to tell you that right now, you probably don't stand a lot of a chance in that inferno. Because if we've made it this far and we are happy with ourselves, and we feel competent and excited about life, and we're on fire, we're on more fire than we ever were when we were worried about our ass or our cellulate or anything else that we were worried about, because we are only worried about right now feeling everything we can. I'm going to say that again, our concern is feeling everything we can without compromise. So I'm just saying you need to think about these things a little different, all of us, all of us, if we're running our vitality. If we're claiming that age isn't something that is taking us out of the world. We have so much more to offer than I ever did in my twenties and my thirties and potentially even my forties where I am now. So I think we're all going to age, we should start considering how we want to do that, and so we have the value of these things. Like in an apocalypse, maybe you want me, I fly helicopters, shoot guns. I'm a badass.
Speaker 3: You want you know what. I can't run.
Speaker 2: I can't run anymore. So no, you all are going to carry me, but I guarantee you're going to protect me because I will be the one that helps us figure out how to die.
Speaker 1: It's funny you say that. People tell me all the time. They're like, I want to be at your place in the apocalypse.
Speaker 4: I'm like, well, we're going to go to a Walmart distribution center because that's where you want to be in a pocket.
Speaker 3: Right, exactly right.
Speaker 2: I always wondered why in these shows that these people doing this dumb ass shit and not getting into the stadium or the Walmart distribution center or something like that.
Speaker 3: What is wrong with you? People anyway, So.
Speaker 1: I actually know where those are on the map.
Speaker 2: Right. See, Okay, this is your takeaway everybody from this episode. Find your Walmart distribution centers. Mark them in your phone.
Speaker 1: So that's what you got to take over, right.
Speaker 2: Mark them not on your phone, because your phone's not going to work. Mark them in a piece of paper you keep in your wallet or whatever in your go bag.
Speaker 3: Just saying.
Speaker 2: And if you see the guy heading down the street with the wolves all following, you know who it is.
Speaker 3: It's Oliver.
Speaker 2: We're coming back for another episode.
Speaker 3: See in a moment.