Speaker 1: These stories. We law lie from the Lesterhold studio. Here's Tricia Delicia.
Speaker 2: All right, So Governor Greg Abbatt signed a recently passed bill into law on Sunday that bans k through tell students from using their cell phones or any other personal communicating devices in school during the day. They can either each school can choose to either just ban it in the classroom or they could actually choose to ban it from the entire school campus. I know that a couple of high schools did this, like tested it out this past year and teachers immediately said they noticed a difference in students paying attention and in grades.
Speaker 1: So it is now a law.
Speaker 2: Even though the twenty twenty five twenty twenty six school years a few months away, there will be no cell phones at schools anymore.
Speaker 1: Do you want to bet right? This is all about enforcement.
Speaker 3: This is this is one teacher that doesn't want to play by the rules and doesn't care what They're not going to do anything to her or.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like hands free law.
Speaker 4: But how often do you see people messing with their phones and it doesn't get enforced.
Speaker 1: It firsta got one, it is in a school zone out Oh that was expensive. It was very expensive.
Speaker 2: I was sus when Landry was smaller, and I was late getting home, and I was calling the babysitter to let her know I'm running a little bit late. I didn't realize I was in a school zone and I was on my farm. No, I was over like a oldtorf and lamar area right in there. And as soon as I was on the phone, not speeding, just in a school zone, and an officer and a motorcycle passed me, and as soon as our eyes locked, I instantly realized what I was doing.
Speaker 1: And he pulled me over. And I told him.
Speaker 2: I was like, I go, I know why he pulled me over. I totally did it. I'm so sorry. I get it. And he was like shocked that I was admitting it, and he was like, yeah, I have to be a ticket for this.
Speaker 1: I don't have the discretion to not give it to you. And it was like a four hundred dollars ticket, maybe be doubled in school z own kind of thing.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, Well, getting back to the phones in schools. I think the reason Trisia is so alleviate, so happy about this is because our daughter wears her out on text messaging during the school day.
Speaker 1: It's like, are you supposed to be in class? Yeah, but then she'll suck me in.
Speaker 2: I'll tell her I'm not going to like, don't text me during class, you can text me in between, But then I kind of lose track of what time it is and she'll text me something, Mom, guess what happened, And I'm instantly all what, and I get sucked in and then I'm initiating text to her. It's very confusing. So I think it's gonna help a lot. Also, they're saying that it's supposed to help with their mental health and social media. Not being on it, you know, during the school day also grades obviously, But yeah, I think it would totally depend on which teachers actually enforce it, which schools choose to enforce it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm all for it, though, I think it's smart. I couldn't believe that they allowed it to begin with.
Speaker 4: Then, I know my daughter's twenty three, and I choose really that first generation to have it in like middle school on Like, yeah, very destructive.
Speaker 1: Very destructive.
Speaker 2: They will allow students who have documented health their safety needs, who need their devices to keep them obviously emotional support phone I guess, so.
Speaker 1: What are you so? What could possibly qualify for that?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, some kids who have diabetes, they're ye, this monitor is sent to their phone stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, that makes sense. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. So hey, it'll be a different school year this year. We'll see what happens. Maybe the kids will rise up and revolt, you know, and they're like no, no, no.
Speaker 1: I wonder what the teachers think. I bet they're relieved. Probably so do you know that? I've told our daughter.
Speaker 2: I'm like, do you know that I got through my entire school career with no cell phone and was still able to get a hold of my mom if I needed to.
Speaker 1: I survived. You can survive if you don't have a cell phone.
Speaker 2: You'll just have to tell me all the gossip about the girls after you get home from school.
Speaker 1: She just can't comprehend. We also survived with going to school without a water bottle. Yeah. Yeah, wateruntains are gross, is what she says.
Speaker 3: Yeah, somehow we didn't collapse in the heap of dehydration.
Speaker 4: Remember those I bet you had them too, Those homemade troths they'd make for track and football and all the outdoor sports.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they to a garden hose to like a plumbing pipe shooting water out, and everybody run up, pulled their helmet off, and gather around like cattle. I remember that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all survived somehow, we did, right.
Speaker 3: It'll be interesting to see what happens with the schools this year with no cell phones at school.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of happy about that, to be honest with you.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, uh, Austin and Georgetown received some big travel awards. We're going to tell you about that, So stay with us. It's coming up on Austin's eighty station. What three point one brain today? Only thirty five percent in a high today of about ninety degrees, while the rest of the country is just dying when this heat wave. We are cooler than normal if you ask me, with only a high of ninety degrees.
Speaker 1: I saw some parts of it.
Speaker 3: There was one I think it was a Missouri that a street just buckled because it was so hot.
Speaker 1: The heat index was like one hundred and eighteen or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and a car was driving over it at the exact moment it buckled and launched the car into the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was very strange, but only it.
Speaker 4: I like the early early triple digits here where you see a lot of new Austinites Buckle.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you're right, you're right. You had to get here so bad. You didn't know this was common, did you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they didn't tell you this when you were here for south By Southwest, did they know?
Speaker 1: They never help that out of the visitors package.
Speaker 3: For sure that it's one hundred degrees for five months of the year in Austin, But it doesn't stop Central Texas and Austin and Georgetown for getting some travel awards.
Speaker 1: What are these all about, tea.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the heat is not keeping Austin a Georgetown from being hot travel destinations. Collectively, the two cities have earned six twenty twenty five Texas Travel Awards. These awards were created by the publishers of Austin Monthly and Texas Music and first up is the best big market live music venue in twenty twenty five is Geraldine's, the restaurant and bar that's inside the hotel Banzant.
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I don't even know about this down in the rainy district. Yeah, large market vinyant.
Speaker 1: What was it?
Speaker 2: Big market live music venue?
Speaker 1: Have you heard of Jardine's JB.
Speaker 4: I've been to some sort of meetup thing at the bar there, but I didn't know there was a venue in there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it has live music. Performance is seven days a week. Yeah, popular Reef top bars. Zanzibar which autumn. My friend and I say that when you say the word Zanzibar, you have to say it like this.
Speaker 1: Zen zi Bar, very big word.
Speaker 2: Right when the title is the best Instagrammable spot because it has like a tropical theme, big views of downtown, right, Matt.
Speaker 3: Label, they're going to have Instagram They're going to regret being named that, probably because they're going to have Instagrammers all over them.
Speaker 4: Oh really Yeah, Like I see people lying, there's always always someone in line at that I love you so much, such a simple thing.
Speaker 1: And then there's that one that looks like an Austin postcard. That is that.
Speaker 4: What is that Monroe in South First took me forever to figure out where that one was.
Speaker 1: It isn't the high How are you? That's on the drag? Right? Yeah?
Speaker 4: That building is completely torn down and they left that one wall it will be part of when they rebuild all that. And he's I don't know if you've been on the drag lately. But it's they've done well. The whole Scientology thing has been rebuilt. And then but closer to downtown of that, they're redoing a whole block by the Catholic Church there where the WO barbershop and the dorm was a lot of people say Wooten in college in the eighties.
Speaker 1: We call it the WU. But that whole.
Speaker 4: Block's being redone and all that's left standing is the high How are you wall Yeah?
Speaker 1: I like that that they kept that. Yeah, that's smart.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: The other awarded we were just talking about this earlier is the Waller Creek revitalization product. The Waterloo Greenway project was voted best Revitalization Product project for the one and a half mile the greenway connecting to Ladybird Park to Greeny Street.
Speaker 1: The Amphitheater we've just talked to. Yeah, we were just talking about Waterloo Park. It's nice revamp there.
Speaker 2: In Georgetown, the best small to mid sized bar is the Brass Peacock, a speakeasy called the Brass Peacock.
Speaker 1: Anybody ever been there on the Square? Yeah, located downtown on the Square.
Speaker 2: It looks super cool, very like intimate, kind of dark and moody, which I like that. The Two Step in Country Festival named best Music Festival.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they got a bunch of rain last year for that too. That sucked for them, that's really yeah.
Speaker 3: Quick question for you, JB. What was it like It was Georgetown like that when you were growing up there?
Speaker 4: Hell no, we didn't have anything to do except throw rocks at each other and cruise and avoid cops. We would cruise in our cars, you know, could we could buy old muscle cars for like a few grand back then, and we'd cruise between the Sonic and the Mister Gaddies.
Speaker 1: Like on a drag or like on a loop or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was a loop because you you'd have to go down Maine and take and then take, you know, head out towards what's now Lake Georgetown to go to buy mister Gaddies. Like Georgetown wasn't there. We didn't have that where it was Six Booties, Fourth Booties. That's late Georgetown. That's that's where we would meet outside of town. Like the cops didn't know it was called. We referred to it as Fourth Booties. I don't know how it got that name, but it was like, you know, it was very meeting up at fourth Booties was very dazed and confused out drinking in a field. But I you know, in high school, I was a cook at a place called Cafe on the Square. And you know that Georgetown was dry then, like you couldn't buy booze. Yeah, so you had to get a membership to get cocktails at Cafe on the Square. And in the Square was just slow dying, a slow death, you know, to keep trying to keep the movie theater open.
Speaker 1: The boutiques wouldn't survive. No one was downtown.
Speaker 4: There was GOLs department store, which was just a local you know, Sears kind of thing. Yeah, you know, you go there to get your wranglers and whatever. But it was just dying. And then you know, as Austin was growing at grus a suburb, they they not only overturned the alcohol ban or whatever is now, they embrace it and you can go have cocktails and walk around the streets of the Square. And they just leaned into it and it started. Yeah, it just started booming. And it's that town is thriving. It's nothing like when I grew up.
Speaker 1: The Square is super cool now. It was not when I grew up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they have a really cool toy store. They have a can this shop. They had those cute little bars all around it. They have great places to shop, home to Core and stuff like that. Like it's the destination when you go there, for sure.
Speaker 4: Georgetown cool. I don't even think we had a nice grocery store. We we didn't have an H G B. I don't remember that growing up. We had an old piggly wiggly where a couple of the couple of the lights had died and they didn't even bother to replace some.
Speaker 1: Forriver it was the iiglelywig. That's I don't think we told JB the thought.
Speaker 3: So when Triciaan and I went and we were driving down to Kingsville for our daughters. She was graduating from this leadership academy, and we're going through some little small town and it was still dark out, and there was a donut shop in a strip mall and it was called in the line that should have said Fresh Donuts, but the F was an R and the E were out, so all you saw was the S n H. So I leaned over to Tricia and I elbowed her and I pointed at the sign and I went, look, it's.
Speaker 1: Donuts Shell Donuts here.
Speaker 2: Butbody only have a few donuts in here.
Speaker 3: So Lloyd Soly and donuts producing gaddies.
Speaker 4: And Sonic, Yeah, Sonic. I don't know, and all I think this is true. In a lot of small towns, there's a cool there's a dork side and a cool side.
Speaker 1: At the Sonic Oh oh no, how you excited.
Speaker 4: To be on the cool side. You had to go half a lap and go around on the other side. I don't know why that was a rule.
Speaker 2: It's like the front or the back of the school bus. It's just a thing, right. If you were you were a dork. If you sat in the front, you were cool. If you got to sit in the back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Georgetown't get any other awards for some.
Speaker 1: No, but Green did.
Speaker 2: In a Brothels they got a lot of awards, and Brothels got five awards.
Speaker 3: Wait, a minut man is booming Green Texas and Green Texas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Green Hall, that whole little shopping area in Green in New bron Fols right outside in New Bronpos they got There's a big mistake people.
Speaker 3: Make about going to Green. The idea is spend the day in Green. You can't spend the day in Green. There's not it's not big enough. You walk down the shops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you would do if you rolled it in with Wimberley new bron F Hols too, and yeah Green if you.
Speaker 3: Got there early, you know, and shopped around or did whatever, and they went to a show at Green Hall. Yeah, or something like that. You know, I could see it. But you ain't spending a full day in Green, Texas.
Speaker 2: We would to get out of the river, go and chow down at Green Hall or at the restaurant, the Green restaurant.
Speaker 1: What's it called the Gristmill?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that is so freaking Goodma in Green.
Speaker 1: I thought that was in sam Marcus. A lot of them, I think sort of claim it. Maybe I don't. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 4: And I'm almost as an Opah's guy, you know, I'm a Peppers at the Falls guy in San Marcos.
Speaker 1: Oh that's not there, that's what is that now? Peppers?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: I met someone for breakfast there a couple of years ago. It's not. It's no longer Peppers on the Falls. But man, what a cool Building's super cool, super cool. Yeah, it's it's something we have in Austin. I have to look it up anything else. Trust No, I think we're good.
Speaker 2: Just Central Texas, Austin and the surrounding areas hot hot travel destinations and getting all kinds of awards for it.
Speaker 1: I think it's cool, but it also stresses me out a little bit.