Speaker 1: Welcome friends, Jacky.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Movie Film. It's episode three forty two. I am Zaki Hassan. I'm here with Brian Holp. Hey. How's it going, Zachi? Hey man? Hi Ben? You know I'm getting by, Like all of us are doing it the best we can. To quote Just the Ten of Us? Was that the theme song? Doing it the best stock can. It's the great theme song that works for any show because it's just general enough. It's right exactly like there's a whole there's a whole YouTube channel that's just the just the Ten of Us theme appended to like Perfect Strangers and you know, Breaking Bad and you know Zack Snyder's Justice League, like and it all works.
Speaker 3: That's like ringing a bell. Now that you say it, I feel like I kind of remember that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure, pretty sure we've discussed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh real quick? Is there like some screaming going on in the background.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is. That's that's my that's my two year old. Almost.
Speaker 3: Ah okay, so this is happy I'm alive screaming, not like my brother has got me on a headlock.
Speaker 2: And well, I suspect you know, last night I ordered some I was feeling this urge for Chicago style deep dish. Oh okay, And then completely by chance, my brother was like, hey, I'm he and his wife. Oh, we're gonna go have some Chicago style deep dish. What And I said, well, clearly the stars have a line. So I like placed an online order and I was like, hey, pick this up and ring it back. So so I love that they brought it to you.
Speaker 3: They brought din't he didn't like door dash it or anything. You're like, hey pick this up for me.
Speaker 2: I was like, you're there anyway? You know, did you tip him? I did not tip my brother, and and I didn't. I don't. I don't feel like I need to tip my brother because he gets to come over and hang out whenever he wants. I make him some nice coffee. That's true.
Speaker 3: What's the place I mean is it? Do you have good Chicago deep dish up there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, it's called Zachary's. Oh okay, yeah, they got they got a few, And I was I was just like Jones and for some for some Chicago style you know, hm and and so anyway, the screaming you heard, I suspect was it was him want wanting more want more than pizza. We're raising him right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we actually have a Gino's East that opened up uh in Sherman Oaks and Uh, which you know, that was like where I liked to go whenever i'd visit Chicago. So it was really cool that that opened up down the road. And the pizza's good and the Italian beefs are good, and so that's kind of nice.
Speaker 2: There you go. Here's our unpaid promo for Zachary's and Geno's East. Yeah, exactly, So that's what's going on there. And before we get started, I just want to remind everybody if you want to hear this episode ad free and also support the work that we're doing. We do have a Patreon page, right, Brian.
Speaker 3: Yes, If you head over to patreon dot com Slash Movie Film Podcast hit subscribe only five dollars a month, you'll find all our commentaries and episodes without ads or interruptions, butting in and bonus conversations. Recently, we had a fun time talking about Disney kind of creating their own version of IMAX, right, and what that means for the upcoming Avengers movie. I talked about my gig that I've been working on for the past several weeks.
Speaker 2: And if you want to know what that gig is, you know you want to yea, only hear it at Patreon. Yeah, that's right, that's right. Anyway, what else have you seen, Brian oh Man, I've seen a slew of things, actually a slew of older.
Speaker 3: Which I'll just go through quick because there's not much I need to say about them. But they were really cool experiences. And as I've said a lot on this show, speaking of plugs. At the Regal Theater, you know, just down the road from me, they always have these like series.
Speaker 2: Where they'll show older.
Speaker 3: Films like every day, and usually there's a theme for the month. So one month was Masterpieces, one month was Horror coming up in May now it's musicals, and in April it was lols and so they were showing a bunch of comedies. And then also nationwide theaters have been showing a lot of older movies for their anniversaries. And so anyway, I went and saw Farrispeeler's.
Speaker 2: Day Off Nice that's an lol.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and that I'd never seen it in a theater before. I've seen it tons of times, but I just thought it would be worth seeing Chicago on the big screen, and I mostly bring it up because we watched it. I sat next to a stranger and when it was over, he looked at me and he just it's as good as it ever was, and I was like, yeah, it really is, isn't it? Like it just really holds up. And so you know, they have that scene on the bus with the principal and he's like got to sit with all the students, which kind of keeps you through the credits.
Speaker 2: And I have to admit I.
Speaker 3: Completely forgot about the little tag at the end where funny right where Ferris is in the hallway and he's like.
Speaker 2: You're still here. Yeah, it's over, go home.
Speaker 3: And you could sense this collective feeling in the theater like we all were like oh yeah, and we never thought we'd get to see that moment in a theater and have Farris tell us to go home. And so I was like, man, that was worth it just for that.
Speaker 2: That was a good one.
Speaker 3: Saw Jerry Maguire, which I think was celebrating his thirtieth anniversary, and that's a lol. That was I think just an anniversary screen. Okay, yeah, good movie, No, but it's really really good and I hadn't seen it, I don't think since the nineties, and it was really interesting. I took my high school girlfriend to see that movie, you know, when I was like sixteen years old or something, and so it's one thing, you know, you see it as a teenager, and then you watch it as like a middle aged man and you're like, oh wow, it's really it's a whole different experience, and you also just appreciate, you know, this movie from the nineties and you know Cameron Crowe, James L. Brooks, and it just has a different tempo than movies have now. It has a lot of great side characters that are allowed to have moments and feel like fully fleshed out people even though they really kind of aren't, but they just everyone feels like a realized human being, which is kind of cool. Like the movie just it allows the story and the characters to breathe in a way that feels different than movies today.
Speaker 2: But it was just a.
Speaker 3: Really nice experience just watching a story about adults and taking its time and it's a messier relationship than I remembered, and maybe I even realized when I was younger, and I kind of appreciated that.
Speaker 2: It's really cool.
Speaker 3: It was a an unexpected one. I didn't think I'd be watching anytime again, and going into the theater and watching it giving it my full attention. It was a really nice experience. And then let's see, I saw Death Becomser That was one of the LOL ones, which was like so much fun.
Speaker 2: I hadn't watched that in a while.
Speaker 3: You know, zamechis kind of like, I think he's coming right off the Back to the Future three about to go into Forrest Gump, and this is just like basically a ninety minute tails from the Crypt episode he makes right, you know, it's so fun. Meryl Streep and Goldiehn and Bruce Willis. It's just so you know, special effects extravaganza, just such a funny, you know, snarky tale. That was like really cool to watch on the big screen again. And then Tumar saw a Fight Club and that was an anniversary one, I guess twenty fifth anniversary, which makes me think of you because that was one of the first movies you and I saw together in the theater, right, nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's right. Isn't that crazy amazing?
Speaker 3: It was weird to that was I hadn't seen it on a big screen since then, really, and yeah, I don't think so, or maybe like at an outdoor screening or something. But man, that movie is just mesmerizing. I mean, I know it's it's often misinterpreted and maybe disliked by some people, but it's just as dizzying and hypnotic as it ever was. Like it's just Fincher's exacting filmmaking is just sumptuous on the big screen.
Speaker 2: It was very cool to watch, you know What's funny.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think I have seen it since the theater at all at all. Wow. Okay, and not because I've avoided or anything. It's just a kind of just the just I've somehow not seen it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Interesting, Do you have any interest or is it like yeah, yeah, yeah, Well because the thing is like I don't, I don't think I'm gonna wants to watch it, sure, although I feel like she's seen it too, but it's like, you know, and then it's not something you can really watch with kids. No, it's still is grimy and unpleasant as you remember, like it's you know, sometimes we talk about like the needle being pushed a Little Bit or The Bar or whatever, you know, like Game of Thrones made extreme violence a little bit more acceptable in the mainstream, and then movies followed suit, like this movie doesn't feel like, oh that's funny. We thought this used to be nasty. It's like, no, it's still nasty, right, you know.
Speaker 2: But it's crazy because like my oldest is now about the same age I was when I when it came out. Wow, yeah right, so I mean I could conceivably watch it with him, you know, but that's weird to like, that's just crazy all by itself. Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 3: Maybe there are just some movies it's better for people to watch on their own, like it doesn't need to be a shared experience with your your parents.
Speaker 2: That might be one of them. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then last night there's a screening series out here in Los Angeles called Street Food Cinema where they have a bunch of food trucks and set.
Speaker 2: Up at different locations.
Speaker 3: And last night my friends and I saw the movie Carrie, the Brian DePalma movie from seventy six. Yeah, I'd never seen it before. And have you seen Carrie the og one?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure on like WGN or something totally right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, the basically the poor girl who has no friends and gets picked on, gets asked to prom.
Speaker 2: I mean everybody knows the ending.
Speaker 3: You know, she gets dumped with pig's blood and she has telekinesis and basically kills everybody. That's all I knew about it, and so it was it was cool to watch, and it was cool to watch with the crowd. It was outdoors under the stars, and Sissy's spacek is really good in it and just really sympathetic. I really cared about her. And I was also really blown away by the camera work. There's a lot of really speaking of Zemechis, and we like his long shots where he continues to reframe and you know, kind of uses the camera as narrator. I mean, De Palma was doing that a lot in this, and it was really technical, amazing stuff, you know, going over huge crowds and over beams in a gymnasium, and I was noticing that a lot. And the ending, I mean, I know, the ending, I know, we're you know, everything goes hey, why are at the prom? But it's really to this day, the tension, the build up to it is the editing the camera work, the score, the use of slow motion, and someone trying to shut it down.
Speaker 2: But it's too late. It's really packs a punch.
Speaker 3: I mean, all these years later, it is really haunting and powerful, and so that was like a cool I'm glad. I'm glad I got to see it, and I'm glad I got to see it projected with a crowd.
Speaker 2: That was kind of expect I have a clear memory of the remake from like twenty thirteen. Do you remember that? I remember it existing. I didn't see it. It's Kimberly Pierce directed it. Okay, boys don't cry and Cloy Morett's Grace plays Carrie. Okay, isn't any good? Or I think it's fine? You know, I I I you know, it's just one of those IP for Ip's Sake type type remakes. But I mean it's got a great cast. You know, Julianne Moore plays Carrie's mom, and Judy I can see that, right, Anseel el gort is, you know the guy that Carrie likes. Yeah, it's fine, you know, I like, I don't. I don't think it touches the original, but I mean Kimberly Pierce is an interesting director for.
Speaker 3: It, Yeah, you know, And it's it's funny because sometimes you watch movies from a different era and they can feel a little scrappy, right, you know, to our sensibilities in the way things have just evolved. And so I could see someone feeling like maybe they could also do a take on it. But there's just something like when she is in there in the gym and she kind of goes bug eyed, you know, it's like she's sort of taken over and the doors or like there's just something I don't know, you could recreate that, Like there's just something about it, I don't know, from that time period, the way that they captured it originally, Like that's the most visceral first impression of that sort of horrifying event, right, And it's like anything else would just feel like it's recreating that, So it feel a little bit lesser than or something.
Speaker 2: That's well, it's funny. I interviewed Kimberly Pierce about the film and my recollection is one of the things I discussed with her was how that scene it plays differently because it's the way the blood spatters on her face, it almost feels like like a mask. Mmmm. And I was like, it feels like it's framing it very differently. You know, it becomes like like like a superhero identity almost you know. Oh interesting the way the mask play, you know. And and and I think I think she said something to the effect of, you know, having to do something different, you know, because the diploma one is so iconic, uh you know that said I I don't. I mean they've tried, They've done multiple like a new attempt at Carrie. It's weird how they keep going back to that because they did a like a TV remake, right, they did the Kimberly Pearce remake. They did a sequel. I mean, they keep going back to that. Well, and I think partly it's because MGM, they you know, they have like like eight ips that they just keep keep digging up, you.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, right right, And it is a compelling idea. Yeah, you know, this this poor you know, high school student and then she's got this secret rage inside. And you know, I can see why that's so compelling. But that was the sequel, The Rage Carrie too.
Speaker 2: Do you remember that?
Speaker 3: Oh that's right, Yeah, I remember the like the video store box of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I've not seen the movie, but I remember it existing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be kind of curious to watch the remake just to because it's fresh in my mind and just sort of see a later interpretation of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it doesn't embarrass itself, I would say, but it doesn't make itself essential either, Like doesn't in my opinion, it doesn't say anything new that that absolutely was was just you know, desperate to be said, you know, interesting. I guess that's kind of rare, right when that does happen, when the remake improves it or it takes over the Yeah, it's a short list.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well one more and then the next thing I saw we have overlap. But I just wanted to throw out that I saw the movie The Housemaid, Ah, yes, which was kind of a hit. I think around the holidays.
Speaker 2: Aren't they doing a sequel now? I think so.
Speaker 3: I guess it's a book series following the adventures of this character. So this is the Electric Boogaloo, Yes happening.
Speaker 2: I'm excited.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but yeah, this is with Sydney Sweeney, Amanda Seyfried and Brandon's glinn r.
Speaker 2: Is that say his last name? Yeah? That guy man, he's he's all over these movies. Right, He's in the the It Ends with Us too.
Speaker 3: Right, Oh, okay, I didn't see that, but he I know he was in the One Shoe. I already forgot the title about the girl who's on the date and she's getting the phone calls, you know, like the text saying that she has to like kill her date.
Speaker 2: Didn't we talk about this? I can't. I can't remember if it was on the Bonus Show.
Speaker 3: Or This makes me sad because I want to say trap, which it isn't, and I also want to say fall, which it isn't.
Speaker 2: There you go, it's drop drop.
Speaker 3: That could be like a fun sort of programming at a theater, like these single you know, verbs or whatever.
Speaker 2: You know. Of course, well, and he was in nineteen twenty three. He was great at exactly which that.
Speaker 3: It was the first time I saw him, and I was like, oh, I like this guy. Yeah, And so when he pops up, I'm immediately like, oh, I'm into this, like I want to I like seeing him do his thing.
Speaker 2: But so this this was.
Speaker 3: A I don't know, it was just like in the mood for this, like kind of like an airport novel of a movie, you know, kind of pulpy sort of thing.
Speaker 2: And basically it's kind of.
Speaker 3: And that rocks the cradle type deal right one. And she plays Sweeney plays like a housemaid desperate for work. She has a secret pass she needs to hide, so she's hard to hire, and she becomes like a living housemaid for this family that it first seems polished, but then there's some mystery, mysterious things going on in there and row but everybody's worlds turned upside down, and yeah, it's it's it's a total like Friday night pulpy entertaining, you know, kind of sexy, little violent fun Okay, And I was I was just totally in the mood for this and it delivered exactly what I like clicked on it for. So just throwing that out there for anyone who had some interest in it, well.
Speaker 2: There we go. Yeah, all I I saw the ads for this and I was like, oh, I was like, I don't feel like going to the theater watch it, but like, if it turns up on streaming, I might check it out. But I just remember when it came out, it was in the context of all all the the articles and stuff, was like, you know, the Sydney Sweeney controversy, I should put that in in air quotes. And I was like, what Sydney Sweeney controversy? Like this is? This was kind of reassuring to me that I'm not as very online as I thought. Oh okay, yeah yeah yeah, because and literally I was I was teaching this is because it came out last fall, right, yeah maybe the holidays, I think, okay, yeah, that's that's right. But like in that in that arena, so I was teaching you know, media and society class. So I'm like, can y'all explain the the what Sydney Sweeny? I was like, I don't. I don't have the energy to look this up. Y'all tell me what's going on.
Speaker 3: And I love the idea of you occasionally being like, guys, I need you to teach me today.
Speaker 2: I don't have the time for this.
Speaker 3: And you like they get up, you know, to the front and you take a seat, and they explained the Sydney.
Speaker 2: Swee I mean basically, and it's all relevant given everything that we talk about, you know, and and I It's it's a lot. I'm not even gonna get into it, but I'm just like, god, I'm like, everybody got too much time on their hands. That's my that's my takeaway, right right. Wait, actually I have a question.
Speaker 3: So when you ask your students about this sort of thing, what is their attitude about it? Are they a little like, ugh, okay, so basically people have been talking about this.
Speaker 2: Or are they like, oh, you won't believe it?
Speaker 3: Like okay, hold on, and they draw you a diagram on the chalkboard, you know, like, what's what's their sort of ten?
Speaker 2: It's a little both, to be honest, it's a little and and just to be clear, I will never dismiss or condescend towards whatever things that they feel very exercised about, because I want to hear it. I'm genuinely interested. But a lot of this, definitely, I feel like, you know, this is very much an online furor that has no bearing on any aspect of reality, you know, sure, sure, And so you know, all of this comes down to basically basically boiled down, it's Sydney Sweeney is maybe question Mark a Trump supporter mm hmm. And that's what it all comes down to, okay. And and so you've got online people who are who are reading tea leaves and you know, Charlie Day meming their way to trying to find you know, connections, right.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right, right right, referring to the meme of Charlie Day with the strings and.
Speaker 2: With the strings and the big peg board and stuff, and and you know, at some level, I'm like, man, like, I don't. I don't Sidney Sweeney has she doesn't affect my life at all. I don't really care one way or the other. I don't watch euphoria. I really truly don't care about her political views one or the other, you know, right, And it feels like there is sort of uh, you know, it's it's weaponized outrage for the sake of clicks that burnish uh, these these websites. Uh, you know bottom dollar right, Sure, it's it's all. It's a little bit of like, man, I'm not I'm not playing this game, you know, sure, totally like I gotta know about it. You know, I'll give you another example, right I I I just yesterday, I don't know if you saw this, h New York Magazine had a whole long ass thing about speaking of it and so with us, the whole the whole blake lively justin Baldoni thing mm hmm. And I this is yesterday morning. I'm sitting here in my cave drinking my chai and this article comes up, and I'm like, okay, well, I'm I'm gonna be I'm literally sipping the tea while I'm drinking. Yeah. It's a it's a long thing, you know. And and my takeaway is, like I I do think Justin baldoni is is a strange guy. And I think that that's my that's my overall view. But I also don't think Blake Lively distinguished herself, particularly in how this all has been going down, you know, sure, And so it is a little bit to me. I read this article and and you know, I have It's like watching an episode of Dynasty or something. It's just rich people right rush at each other and pulling their hair and stuff, you know, right, But you know, I remember when all of that was happening. This was Fall of twenty four and again far it goes back that far. I guess when the movie came out, right, okay, and it was the same thing. People like again, I was getting a lot of this from my students. Oh did you hear Blake Lively? Blah blah blah. Oh, you know, but justin Baldoni blah blah blah. And so for me, that was very revelatory because it's not a story I was following to any with any great interest, but just from the folks who are who are living online and how how they're interacting with this news and information and how they're processing and how they're already choosing upsides, all of that is very interesting to me, you know. But it's a lot I would recommend reading that article though, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a story I kind of hit the eject button on because I think at first I was following it a little bit, and then I was seeing people who were very much on Baldoni's side, and then I was seeing people who are very much against you know, him, And it was and people were so sure of their opinions on all of this that I was like, I don't, I don't. I hit the button and I popped out of my jet.
Speaker 2: I think that's smart. I mean, that is in fact the smartest approach. But he's definitely he seems really there's just something off in terms of the way he interacted with her. Because all of the text messages, all this laundry is just out there right, So the way he's texting with her, I'm like, that's a weird way to text somebody, see and got that deep You can read all that and then and it talks about how the nice Pool character in Deadpool and Wolverine was basically Ryan Reynolds making fun of Justin Baldoni. I kind of remember that reading about that, but I didn't like get it. Yeah, Well, it's funny because because you go through this article and it uses these specific data points and I was like, wow, holy shit, that's like kind of hilarious, you know, But well, I guess that's that thing Dan fun what's that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I was gonna say, I guess it's that thing done well, because if you get what he's doing specifically, it's funny on a whole other level. But for me, I didn't know what it was referring to, but it still was a funny character.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And knowing that it was, there was specific dialogue he was given just to the you know, drive the screw in a little like extra you know. Interesting anyway, that's a lot. That's all of that is to say, I have no you know, I don't really care about that movie. I haven't seen it, and apparently they're doing a sequel or good luck with that, as you know, but just seeing the way these people because again it's all in these text messages. So you have this very expansive article that's that's doing a basically a TikTok of the whole the whole drama from when it started up to now, and it's like, man, rich people problems, right right, glad, glad. I don't I don't move in those worlds, you know, Yeah, definitely. So anyway, you didn't tell me what you thought of Housemaid, right, Oh, no, I liked it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just was in the mood for a I don't even know how to describe it, Like I just always think of like, yeah, like Airport novel, you know.
Speaker 2: Or like Lifetime movie energy Yeah, yeah, a little more.
Speaker 3: Sophisticated in that, but like budget but you know, yeah, like hand the Rocks the Cradle. You said that was the perfect cop I think when you said that, like just that kind of domestic something weird is going on, escalating tension, you know, what's the mystery that we don't you know, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be the big blow up at the end. Yeah, and by the way. I don't even mean Lifetime movie as a pejorative because my feeling is once you start watching one of them, you will finish it. Oh sure, yeah. Yeah. I've used this example many a time where I was channel surfing past Lifetime and they had this. It was called The Wife He Met Online? Right, And I remember I'm sitting there and Amina was in the kitchen. I'm like, this the Wife he Met Online? Too. I'm gonna watch a few minutes of this, and then like ninety minutes later, I'm like, what's gonna happen to the wife you met online? Yeah? Right, right, right, she's gonna do you know? Well, by the way, it was directed by Paul fig Yeah, that's that's kind of a switch, right, right. He's had a very interesting career.
Speaker 3: I mean he went from being Sabrina's high school teacher to directing the Ghostbuster's remake and The Housemaid and Bridesmaids and you know, Spy and The Heat, The Heat, yeah yeah, and then the Simple Favor movies.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it's it's it's.
Speaker 3: Kind of cool, like he's carved out, like I like, it's always a bummer when people get like boxed in, like oh, you're the comedy guy, so you can't do a thriller, but then it can. It makes me think of Jordan Peel a little bit right where he's the comedy guy Kem Peel and now he's he got to make his horror movie and right out of the gate he gets nominated for an Oscar and now he gets to be comedy guy when he wants.
Speaker 2: He gets to be horror guy when he wants.
Speaker 3: And it seems like the kind of likes these thrillers, but he also does comedy really well.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but yeah, what about you? Well, speaking of comedy real quick, I wanted to mention just a couple of days ago, Aman and I we went to San Jose and we saw Josh Johnson perform oh at the San Jose Improv So Josh Johnson, he's kind of he's like he's on the rise. He's one of these up and coming comedians. He's one of the Daily Show crew. So he'll be hosting that show one, you know, a week a month. Okay, I just looked him up. I yeah, I recognize him. He's hilarious and every week on his YouTube channel he has a brand new hour long set that drops every week. Oh wow, it's extraordinary. I mean, you know, the level of hustle it takes to coming up, be coming up with material, and and you know, I was this is like last fall. I'm and I was like, oh, we should we should try to see him, you know. And I just happened to look up. I was like, hey, he's coming in May. Let's you know, and I'm locked in the ticket. That was very grateful for that. It's just he's hilarious and so I I want to like put the word out. Check out his YouTube channel as Josh Johnson h hour long set drops usually I think it's like every Tuesday night, okay. And and he's very funny, very smart, you know. It's it's a it's a very different style of comedy that I I really enjoy quite a bit. You know. He talks about current events, but he does it in a very wise way, very funny, but with a lot of sophistication. Okay, you know, definitely worth a look. I've also just recently, kind of on a lark, I've started watching the show Gotham.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was on Fox, right, it was on Fox like.
Speaker 2: Twelve years ago. That's when it started. And we watched. I remember we talked about it on this show when it first started. We both kind of dipped after the first few episodes. Yeah, and you know what I watched, So Ben mackenzie, who stars on the show, he plays Jim Gordon. I watched the documentary that he directed and appears in called Everyone Is Lying to You for Money, which is about crypto. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've read that he's outspoken about that, but I haven't seen anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, he's like before he got into acting, he studied economics, so you know, he's got the cred for that. And so I saw that movie last in the last summer because I was coming here for the Mill Valley Film Festival and I do I do show notes for that and I loved it. And so now it's the movie is getting ready to come out. So he's been all over the place just making the rounds. I'm like, you know, I mean, I just I like, I've always liked Ben McKenzie, even on The O C which is trash TV. He was good on it, you know. Yeah, and on Southland, which is terrific, a terrific cop show. And so I was like, I was just kind of in the mood for something Batman related that I haven't seen, and I was like, I'm you know, and I'm liking Ben Mackenzie. I was like, let me give this show a shot, you know, and and I'm like five episodes deep and and so far, I have to admit, I am. I am enjoying it as just kind of a crazy, weird take on the whole Batman universe that's just doing its own thing. It's it's it's fun. I've been enjoying it, that's all. Isn't that funny?
Speaker 3: Like sometimes it takes some distance maybe, right, Like I mean I had that with The Terminator Sarah Connor Chronicles, Yeah right, yeah, where when it aired. I watched the pilot and I just I don't know what it was, but my brain rejected this network television take on the Terminator story, right yeah. But then I mean mine was like decades later. I was just really thirsty for some more Terminator stories and I watched it and it took a second to calibrate to you know, it's what it was able to do with a network TV budget and whatever.
Speaker 2: And it's what it was crying to do and what it was trying to do.
Speaker 3: But then I got really into it, and then I was sad that it was only like a season and a half.
Speaker 2: Or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: So yeah, yeah, sometimes it just takes a little distance and then you can appreciate it for what it is.
Speaker 2: That that was literally me where I was sitting there. I was like, you know, here's like a hundred episodes of this Batman thing that I've never seen. Mm hm, you know. And so all that is to say, Mackenzie as great as Jim Gordon, you know. And and in my head canon, I see him as becoming the pat Hingle Jim Gordon, and that makes me laugh. It's just so hard to you know, because now we think of Jim Gordon as kind of this badass cop and I would say Gary, yeah, yeah, you know so, but but I see it as no, no, that's that's the pat Hingele Gordon. And so the journey and I guess there is going to be fascinating, you know, it's really funny. And then and then I here's something we both saw a little documentary about Lorne Michaels called appropriately Enough Lorne. Yeah, and and I was watching this and and I was as I was watching it, I was thinking of you to some extent because I was like, I, I know, we plug into this stuff in the same way in that we are we are we are SNL aficionados mm hmmmmm, total nerds for it, very very much so, right, And And one thing I do think about is I don't know how big of a demographic that is, Like I don't know the cultural weight that SNL has with like kids these days, you know, right, right, And I do I do think about that, and so so for for a documentary like this, it it and I want to hear your thoughts. I was like, a lot of this I already know because I've imbibed so much SNL history, But I was delighted by the new nuances that were illuminated and just seeing all the people that are interviewed, and really painting a portrait of a guy who who, I think, just in terms of what this show represents, is a very seminal important figure in TV history, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and who's still somehow kind of mysterious exactly yeah, you know, even seemingly to the people who are work very closely with him. Right, So, any new information you get about this guy is always kind of fascinating because, like you said, I mean, he is just like a seminal figure in comedy for like fifty plus years or whatever it is, you know, so it's he remains intriguing, I know, certainly to us, and I agree with you.
Speaker 2: This was.
Speaker 3: A documentary. They showed it in theaters. You and I both saw it in a theater about thirty or forty minutes in. I actually thought like, oh, this could have been like a peacock. Absolutely sort of.
Speaker 2: It feels like, just as a courtesy to Lorne, they put it in theaters.
Speaker 3: Yes, so you know, I actually I don't think it's out anymore. So I'm just what I'm saying is, if you did wait for it to stream somewhere, you know, that would be just fine. But at the same time, I would say past the halfway mark, even though it did cover a lot of ground that you and I already know, then they give you a really great behind the scenes glimpse of Lorne overseeing an episode.
Speaker 2: That was my favorite portion of that.
Speaker 3: That's what made it all worth it to me, because we don't have a lot of that. I mean, one of the best examples we have so far is that James Franco directed documentary that he.
Speaker 2: Made, right, that's right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, where he literally just had like a cam quarter and he filmed a week of SNL and he got to wander into the writer's rooms and see what they're up to and the table. Thanks thanks to that documentary, we have some record of the great never Filmed Empire carpet sketch with John Malkovich. Yeah, he's playing or he's singing the five eight eight two three hundred.
Speaker 2: Like over and over and over again the director.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like that kind of intimate behind the scenes stuff. Surprisingly, we don't have a ton of it. Yeah, right, And so this documentary Lorne I thought was really valuable because it gave us more of that and then a better you know, video quality, you know, right, And so we actually get to see a Ryan Gosling episode behind the scenes of it, and we see Lorne, you know, you always hear he watches the episodes under the Bleachers, and so I knew that that happened, and sometimes he was happy and sometimes he was frustrated. But we actually get to see it now and you hear I don't remember who it is, but one of the cast or someone is like, yeah, when he's frustrated, he starts. He's next to like an ice bucket with with drinks in it, and if he gets mad, he.
Speaker 2: Throws the ice.
Speaker 3: And so hearing that, I was like, oh, that's fascinating. But then they actually show it, like you see him watching something and people are either flubbing lines or the timing's not working, and he picks up the ice and just throws it, and you're like, oh, like well.
Speaker 2: And yeah, and Seth Myers talks about how like you knows he's upset when he goes yeah, and we just we just have this montage of him doing that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so then seeing him which is we know that any Gosling episode is a good one, right, Like these are like beloved, right, But it's fascinating watching he's we should say, he's watching the dress rehearsal, not the actual episode that aired, but he's frustrated and it's not going the way that he'd like it to go. And so then after the dress rehearsal, we get to see him sit on the stage and like address the troops basically, which was interesting to me because these are you know, big comedy superstars of this moment, right, Like, so we think of them as these big like titans of comedy in a certain sort of way, or at least in their arena. And they look like high school students that are being like lectured by their principal because they've let him down, right, And it was really interesting to see. I almost felt myself kind of cowering also, just sort of like, oh, this is an uncomfortable feeling. But then he lets them know he's disappointed. But then he rallies the troops and he's like, but you're the you're the best, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was.
Speaker 3: It was a fascinating glimpse and I for me, that made it completely worth it. And all the stuff that they retread a little bit is still great.
Speaker 2: It is and and you know the thought I had watching it, I well, well, two thoughts. Number one, you get you see all these people interviewed from across the last fifty years, right yeah, so you get your your Mike Myers, and then you get your you know, Chevy's and Chevy's interviewed in there, right yep, you know, and then up to now and recent you know, and you at one point you've got you know, Mulaney and Bill Hayter and Fed Armisen sitting around a table, and first of all, I'm like, what, man, I'd love to just be sitting at that table, right, yep. Ye A Conan is interviewed, and you're like, every single one of these people Lorne Michael sprinkled fairy dust on their life. Yeah, you know, and and like and Conan has said as much, right, I mean, I mean, like, here's a guy literally think about that one. One day he's he's one of a dozen Simpsons writers, having briefly worked at SNL, and then and then he's hosting you know, he's replacing Letterman and and and here's a career that is still going, you know. Yeah, yeah, and where would he be if not for Loren Michaels When it came to the Late Late Night Show? He was like, how about Conan? Mm hmm. And that's it, you know, so all of these people he's affected, and so he has he has shaped a a half century of comedy, and as a result, he will shape the next half century, even if he's not around for it. Yeah, that's a good point. And then that made me, you know, and mulaney has has an interview where he talks about that realization of like like Lauren's not going to be around forever, you know. And and I had that realization earlier in the film where you see him as you know, you know, we contrast his his earlier era, his pre SNL era. But he even like during the early days of SNL where he's the young guy, he's the you know, Gabriel LaBelle and in that Rightman movie, right m And then now he's you know, he's an eighty year old man. He's shuffling around and you're like, man, you know, time comes for us all, you know, yep, And and and what what is SNL without Lorne Michaels what you know? We we they've they tried that before, yes, and it didn't work, you know. Yeah, And you know, I don't remember who says it. It may have been Milleni.
Speaker 3: People are always wondering if he'll retire, and someone says, no, he won't leave because he's from another time. This SNL, what they do, how they do it is from another time, and he's the protector.
Speaker 2: Yeah of that. And I thought that was kind of fascinating, like yeah, I mean, it's it's I mean, there is that Like I had that that realization, like, well, he's gonna be gone at some point and and whatever happens, it's going to be different.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's a bit like like there's going to be more James Bond movies, right, But what those movies were and what they represented is over forever, sure, and that makes me sad. And SNL post Lorne Michaels is going to be the same, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think that's what I love about what it is now is they find ways to have the humor represent the moment and find cast members who represent the moment. But there's still that sort of old school variety show charm that's never gone away from it, that keeps it from being like the hip modern show. But that's what makes it so special. I agree, Yeah, you know, the combination of all those things.
Speaker 2: Last night's episode, first of two things, I didn't know who was hosting it, and I happened to turn to tune in. They do like a live stream of the monologue on YouTube, and I reached that point where I'm like, I don't know who that is Olivia Rodriguez. It was Olivia rodrigu Yeah, yeah, no idea who she was. But SNL did give me the thing I've been waiting more than a year for which was as He's I'm sorry, as Cash Battel. Yes, that's all. I've only seen the opening sketch so far. I was like, if SNL does not get Tom Haverford to play Cash Battel, that will be malpractice. So I was very happy about that. There's a very funny sketch. It's another Ashley Padilla showcase. You got to check it out. It's it's called like the X or something like that.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, I mean that's my plan. Later today, I'll have my coffee and watch that. And by the way, I caught a little bit of the movie Good Fortune Again, which was written directed by Azi's and stars him and Seth Rogan and Kanu Reeves. That's just a fun, charming little movie. And so I know I talked about it before and said that it was good, but I'm just reminding people, like, if you haven't seen that, that is a great little rental. I think they just don't make them like it is streaming at this point. Yeah, I think sadly. I saw it in the theater and by the time I talked about it on the show, it was already streaming.
Speaker 2: It was one of those that was what happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that's just a it just feels kind of like an old school wish fulfillment comedy and Counta Reeves is so perfectly utilized in that movie.
Speaker 2: It's just it. I liked that movie a lot, So just re recommending that there we go, moving on. Hey, we got some headlines Brian extract of a little bit of sad news just to start things off. But I did want to mention that Jerry Conway has passed away legendary comic book and television writer. Certainly as far as my life growing up as a comic book fan and a procedural television fan, my many fandoms have been touched by his work. He had legendary on The Amazing Spider Man. He actually after stan Lee, he was he had the longest run after stan Lee during that initial era. He broke into comics at age nineteen, if you can Wow, and by the time he was in his early twenties he had created The Punisher, Oh Wow. And he wrote the story that saw Gwen Stacy killed off, one of the most iconic Spider Man stories, and it was adapted on the screen in Amazing Spider Man two, and in addition to that, he created a character called Firestorm from DC, which I'm sure you can picture him in your head, and just really an incredibly diverse body of work at both DC and Marvel, and then later he wrote for the Transformers animated television series. He wrote for Law and Order in television, he wrote for Criminal Intent. He was seventy three years old, died of paint creatic cancer. Seventy three is to yeah, and what what really, you know, it really gets to me is that just a few months ago, I was down in LA visiting you, and I happened to see a notification that there was he was doing a signing right, you know, maybe maybe about an hour or so from where you live, and they build it as his last signing. And I didn't give too much thought about it, but I was like, oh, I wish I had brought something. It would have been cool, you know, to have that opportunity, and then just kind of left it at that. And then you know a few months later, we get this news. Yeah, you know this is you know, I was having this discussion with my brother just yesterday that the comic book creators the Legends of our lifetime are slowly but surely leaving us, and that that's very much the case when you look at, you know, somebody like Jerry Conway, who was you know, kind of a boy wonder and so you know, he was relatively young while producing just just a mammoth body of work. And it makes me deeply sad not only to see him gone, not only to know that he will no longer be creating work, but also what it represents in terms of, you know, these these legends who are leaving.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, man, I mean, it's it's funny. I had so many thoughts as you were talking about him. One brought me back to what we were saying about Paul fig where it's like he gets to do the comedy thing, he gets to do the sort of thriller thing he gets to It's kind of nice how.
Speaker 2: He hasn't been put into a box.
Speaker 3: And it's amazing that Conway like got to do these iconic comic book stories, but he also wrote for procedurals in law and order, and like he just all the things in his imagination. The way that he got to express them and let them out, that's really awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And and as I sit here recording with you glance to my right and I look at my shelf and there's just a shelf full of Spider Man comic books that he wrote. And you know, there is something to be said for the idea that his work will live on as long as these characters exist. You know, the Disney Plus has a brand new Punisher special dropping in just a few weeks as we're recording this, and you know that character is certainly as iconic as the top tier Marvel characters. And he sprang from from Jerry Conway's imagination, right, he will be missed. A true, a true legend. Yeah, here's some other news, Brian, while we're talking about comic books. It's a story that began its life as a comic book, right, and it might just be comingto the screen. This felt like a prank to me almost. It hasn't.
Speaker 3: The most recent Quentin Tarantino news in the last year or so. All felt like April Fool's Day sorts of jokes.
Speaker 2: Well, any Tarantino news that doesn't involve him running roughshod over random character actor, Yeah, random actors he despises is a win. So this is reported by Deadline last week, and it says that Sony Pictures moving forward with a most intriguing movie mashup. The studio has set Academy Award winner Brian Helgeland, he of La Confidential Fame, to write Django Zoro for a big screen continuation of a story that was hatched in a seven issue crossover comic book series co written by Quentin Tarantino and Matt Wagner published by Dynamite Entertainment. The comic was published back in twenty fourteen is considered maybe the closest Tarantino might come to a sequel in the continuation of the adventures of the slave turned bounty hunter played by Jamie Fox in the twenty twelve film Jango and Change. Tarantino directed that film but won't helm this one, though. I understand that this film has his blessing to move forward at Sony, where he's expected to make his final film as a director.
Speaker 3: And you know what I mean with the April fools Day thing, because the last thing I'm thinking of is the Adventures of Cliff Booth.
Speaker 2: That certainly felt like an April fools thing.
Speaker 3: Right where it's like, oh, there's going to be a sequel to Once upon a time in Hollywood, and Tarantino's gonna write it, but David Fincher's going to direct it, and it's going to be on Netflix, and like what like I just did not compute, but in that news did drop on April Fool's Day, I think because everyone thought it was a joke, it turns out it was real. Then here we go, We're getting a Django sequel that he is not going to even participate in but has his blessing. That just feels, I don't know, it seems like he is very precious.
Speaker 2: About his world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know that he's created, and so it's interesting that he's allowing these other people to create stories in them. I guess just to keep him away from making accidentally making movie number eleven or something.
Speaker 2: I were weirdly benefiting from that. Yeah, yeah, right, which I've been saying for a while. He needs He is so far up his own asshole when it comes to that. I like, oh, no, I'm on the making ten all right, really stop. But but you know, for for years and years, for decades, they had talked about doing the Vega Brothers. Do you remember that m m Yeah, which would have teamed Michael madd since Vic Vega with John Travolta's Vincent Vega, but of course even before Michael Madson passed away. I mean, just time had worked against that movie existing because Vincent dies. You know, yeah, right right, you know that's a problem, so you had to do it within a certain amount of time. I forget what happens to Vic? Is he alive at the Reservoir Ducks. I have not watched that in so long, That's what I'm saying. It's been it's been decades since.
Speaker 3: I think most people do not make it out alive of that movie.
Speaker 2: That's my memory. It's it's been a very long time. But regardless, the window closed on that. And I think to your point, like he's so like, no, I have to be very specific about my projects. So I think, you know, had had the timing been different, the Vega Brothers would have been made by somebody else with his blessing. That's kind of my point. And that's what it feels like the Cliff Booth, which I am super excited to see me too, Yeah, I love that world, all right, So this I'm like, man pour it into my veins? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 3: I mean, not only did I ever think we'd get a Django sequel, period, a Jangle sequel, not even from Tarantino himself, period, but Django teaming up.
Speaker 2: With Zoro, Like I just knocked me up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not on my bingo card, but that is exactly the kind of thing I'd like to watch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Helgelind, who is a very talented director in his own right, I would love to see him take it on. I mean he's writing it at the moment, but you know he did Payback, which is terrific. Did Payback run Away? Did Braveheart run Away? Did Payback run Away? You know? It's funny.
Speaker 3: This just makes sense to me and feels like the natural next evolution where how many more things can we remake?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like, how many times can we keep remaking certain movies over and over again? So at this point, I think we're entering the like, Okay, I think everything that can exist already exists now, so let's just throw it in a blender together and see what happens.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Man, So like me, give me Jango Transformers next exactly. That's exactly what I mean. And it's funny because I mean this reminds me.
Speaker 3: It feels like speaking of Sony, Actually, maybe they were ahead of the curve several years back when they were going to make the twenty one Jump Street meets Men in Black movie. Yeah, that's right, which sounded crazy at the time but also intriguing to me. And now I feel like that seems less crazy and more likely we're more likely to see something like that happened, you know, because they've tried to reboot Men in Black and it didn't work. So just why not just then take Men in Black and then.
Speaker 2: Stick it awkwardly.
Speaker 3: To some other property that Sony owns, you know, like let's I don't know, let's see how that goes.
Speaker 2: So I mean, there is a very long way before this goes, you know, it gets to anywhere shooting ready, but I will certainly be monitoring this. Yeah, no, I'm totally into it.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've been watching the Zoro movies for our commentaries in the past couple of years, and revisiting them is really you know, made me want to watch more Zoro.
Speaker 2: So what I'm saying, bring it, bring it on, totally, bring it on. What can we bring what can we bring it on? Maybe seven I'm definitely down for that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have to track down a serial killer before they get to their cheerleading competition.
Speaker 2: You know what pitch it. It seems like they're they're up for anything these days. Yeah, this is Sony in the aftermath of all those Spider Man spin offs not not doing anything. This is this is sort of their their desperation turned. They're like, Okay, well what what what cinematic universe can we build? Yeah, some somehow, somehow we're gonna end up getting Django Zoro because Madam Webb tanked. Yes, yeah, you can trace it back. That's Those are the multiversal strands that we're living living in right now.
Speaker 3: You know we we used to like kind of dunk a little bit on Sony for a time, but like they really are in this moment where we're thinking about the importance of theater going. Yeah, you know, that has been a big priority for them, and so I think that's commendable.
Speaker 2: Well, a couple things when it comes to Sony Number one, you know, the head headed by Tom Rothman who was at Fox right before and and he was sort of notorious during his Fox era for being really stingy with the budgets, and that mentality may have ended up benefiting him more at Sony m M. Yeah, you know, sort of keeping the budgets tight and diversifying your portfolio so to speak, allows for you able to take more swings with less, like you know, do or Die releases, you know, right. And the other thing is that in the streaming wars, Sony very smartly said, we're just going to be an arms dealer rather than trying to start our own thing up. And so I think that, I mean, I mean, look at the it's it's I mean, we're headed towards a bloodbath when it comes to streaming services, just dropping left and right, you know, I know, I know, I think that's just a matter of time. We're gonna have a Spirit Airlines situation where people are just gonna log into Peacock and be like, sorry, Peacock doesn't exist anymore. Yeah. Yeah, it wouldn't be surprised. At some point Peacock is losing like half a billion dollars a year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I remember hearing that like years back. I mean, it hasn't improved, you know. Yeah, And it's tough because I know, you know, they have that Ted show and it's funny. It's this weird double edged sword where they have Ted and I like Ted.
Speaker 2: I've talked about it on here.
Speaker 3: But that show is so expensive to produce because Ted is a special effect in every episode, right, I think each episode costs around eight million dollars to produce, and that's just not sustainable for them. However, it has been one of their most popular shows. It's garnered the most minutes viewed for them. So what do you do? You know, like if you're bleeding money, but that's the show people are showing up for, but you can't afford to do it. I don't know it Just you're right, like Sony's playing the smart game right to just be like, hey, we make this stuff, you deal, you know, we'll license it out to you and we don't have to worry about running and programming a whole streamer.
Speaker 2: Fundamentally, what this all illustrates is it's I mean, it's what I've been saying for goddamn more than ten years that the streaming arms race is not sustainable. Yeah, because at some point you run out of potential subscribers and then how do you monetize, right, Right, So, looking at Ted as one example, at some point you're going to get all the Peacock subscribers you're gonna get, right, and that show just sits there and you have no way to make money off of it because it's too raunchy for network. And even if it weren't, there's not enough episodes to syndicate, right, you're actively choosing not to release things on physical media. Yeah, I mean, I mean, you know what I mean. It's just the whole point, the whole point of the TV economy was always we create the product and we allow for multiple revenue streams to continue making money off of it. And that's the system. That was the network model that's worked for decades, and it worked just fine. It worked for everybody. Maybe not perfectly, but it worked, right, What do you do here? You know, like Paramount has something similar going on, where, you know, they've got all these Star Trek shows that they made are now gradually ending, you know, and at most they've made sixty episodes and at least twenty episodes. What do you do with those? You know? Right? Right? And those shows at least you have the opportunity to put it on physical because presumably you're going to get the Trek Collectors or whatever. But again, their episodes are too long to cut down for network or or linear airing. I'm just how do you make like just just dollars and cents? How do you make money off of this stuff? License it to Netflix? Ultimately, that's what is going to come down to for a lot of this stuff, I think. Yeah, yes, I mean Sony has the Spider Noir television show.
Speaker 3: Yes, I'm looking forward to that. Yeah, very my friends worked on that, had a vote worked on that really?
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah, yeah, that's of course the Nicholas Cage Spider Man character. This is a variant of him, but they're doing in live action. Yeah, but it's it's all stylish sin City looking. Yeah, it would be interesting, you know. But again, so Sony licensed it to a prime video that's where it will be, you know. Yeah, smart way to approach it. Speaking of making money, though, I thought this was worth having a conversation about. But I feel like some music should be playing ran just for old time sake. So The Mandalorian and Grogu is very shortly due to hit theaters less than a month. Wow, Okay, we're like we're like sixteen days away as we record. This the first Star Wars movie in theaters since Rise of Skywalker Wow, twenty nineteen, which is yeah, that's pretty banana. So that is what are we looking at seven years? Yeah, right, just about right, it's just about yeah, pre pandemic, pre pandemic. Obviously, there have been you know, just several several seasons of television dropped on Disney Plus since then, all of which have have certainly impacted the brand value of Star Wars to varying extents. But here we go. Now we're testing the proposition that Star Wars is still bulletproof at the box office. Yeah, it's going to be interesting. So this is a courtesy of Hollywood Reporter. If pre release tracking is right, the John Favora directed movie, a continuation of his Disney Plus series The Mandalorian, will open in the eighty million dollar range at the domestic box office over the long forty Memorialty weekend, according one source with access to the data. That's in line with the expectations from Lucasfilm and Disney. According to insiders, so eighty million dollars for a Star Wars movie. Now, first of all, I should say that that eighty million could grow. Oh, absolutely sure, you know, and I suspect that this is This is why I suspect that it will grow because I think I think once the marketing campaign kicks in, there's going to be a lit of like, I want to watch Star Wars in the theater again, totally, you know, and they're obviously going to lean hard into all the all the nostalgic you know, Oh, there's an atst and here's a here's an X wing or whatever, you know, whatever, that's the stuff that's getting me. Yeah, well, exactly right. And so my question to you you can look at that number and be like, hey, all right, or you can look at it and be like, well, stick a fork in this thing.
Speaker 3: I think you have to realize that this isn't twenty nineteen anymore. You know, A lot has changed. And Okay, actually, just out of curiosity, I was like, what's the closest Star Wars comp for this right theatrically, which would be Solo?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So I googled what did Solo open to at the box office? And what comes up this is Google AI Overview Solo open to a disappointing eighty four million.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's kind. I was like, here's me pulling my collar. I know, but this is in twenty eighteen, right when Star Wars was also solo, cost eleventy b jillion dollars.
Speaker 3: Yes, they had a lot of crazy circumstances going on. Yeah, I don't know what the budget is of Mandalorian and Grogu. Hopefully they had expectations in mind a little bit, kept things in check, but I don't know. I mean in this day and age, I mean, what did Mario open to.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's a good question.
Speaker 3: Galaxy opening box office? Oh well, this is worldwide. Okay, well it's probably not the best three Okay, well, one hundred and thirty one million three day weekend in the US domestic, domestic, worldwide, it's like almost like a third of a billion.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's it's a It's an interesting thing to think about because if there was any sort of guarantee twenty nineteen and before, it was that Star Wars was going to be a gargantuan opening. So now, no matter what on paper, it's going to look disappointing. However, in the land, you know, this changed landscape, maybe it will be a success.
Speaker 2: It just looks different. Now right, So it has a budget of one hundred and sixty five million dollars. Okay, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: The others probably cost like two hundred plus three hundred probably more, right.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, the and the mindset was like, you know, Star Wars is a license to print money, so just whatever, spend whatever you want to spend, which you know, we're we're not living in that reality anymore. So yeah, I mean, obviously this is going to come down to reviews and word of mouth and all of those things. But eighty again, I suspect that the projections will grow as the movie gets closer. That's kind of where I'm at. I wouldn't be surprised if it landed somewhere in the hundred million dollar range when all of a sudden done, Okay, domestic domestically opening weekend, and just for reference, Devilwar's product too opened this weekend, and that opened at seventy seven million domestics, which not bad. Yeah, but I don't think Devil is product to cost one hundred and sixty five million dollars.
Speaker 3: True, but just in terms of how many people are showing up. Yeah, not thinking about company's bottom lines or anything, but like yeah, audience.
Speaker 2: Anticipation, whatever, interest. These big brands aren't a sure thing anymore. I don't even think Avengers Doomsday is going to open anywhere near end game levels. Sure, sure, right, so it is kind of a different reality. I'm curious though, And look, at the end of the day, I mean, I want Star Wars to do well, So I'm hoping. I'm hoping it's good more than anything, you know. And if it's good, I wanted to do well. If it's not good, I don't really care.
Speaker 3: But you know, true because I but I do want Star Wars to endure. Yeah, you know, so, yeah, I don't want to see this be a thing where we see less of it moving forward.
Speaker 2: I'm with you. I'm rooting for it to be good and then I want more. Weirdly, though, I think Star Wars would benefit from seeing less of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it has in some ways. I guess the streaming has overpopulated a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: In the theaters, I mean, yeah, it's been a really long time, and I'm excited to go to a theater to watch Star Wars again.
Speaker 2: It's it's also very interesting, right, just from from like a merch point of view. I don't know if you've you've noticed this, but there's been a pronounced pause on anything Seql era related. Interesting.
Speaker 3: I haven't, but what do you mean, Like, like, if there's a Star Wars display somewhere, they are now focusing on other things. I'm seeing certainly more of a concentration of original trilogy. And I suspect part of that is because next year is the fiftieth anniversary, right A right really drilled down on that, and I'll be said, there has been this reclamation of the prequels, right, and so I'm starting to see a little bit of like, hey, what about the sequels.
Speaker 2: You know? And I'm like, man, you live long enough, everything repeats itself, right, because the sequel era began with trying to put as much distance between them and the prequels as possible, you know, and all of this stuff. Yeah, yes, yesterday, just last night at random, my daughter she's like, oh, put on the end of Revenge of the Syth. She just loves that final fight between Anakin and Obi Wan, and Revenge of the Sith is her favorite Star Wars. That's the first one she saw in the theater. And I was thinking about how well there's plenty of kids who the sequels is going to be their first Star Wars is and that's going to be their relationship. And so you know, all of this stuff eventually is it's all going to come out in the wash, you know what I mean, everybody's going to have theirs. However, what I see a lot of right now is all these various factions tossing shit at each other. Right, so it's fun to just sit back and be like, let's wait for the dust to settle here. I'm not rooting for any of it to fail because no, like he was saying, at the end of the day, it's Star Wars. I enjoy it. But but man, uh, I think Disney's paying the price right now for having just left that spigot on for so long with all those streaming shows which just diluted the brand, like like like you wouldn't believe.
Speaker 3: Well, and now that you know, with Kathleen Kennedy stepping down and Floony and you know, sort of taking over the creative reins, I'm wondering what their ten year plan is, right, you know, I mean, this is interesting. We're basically getting a TV movie, you know, in theaters, but right, But I mean, do they have a new trilogy in mind? Do they have like some sort of big epic saga that they're cooking up, and where would that take place?
Speaker 2: Who would it involve?
Speaker 3: Do you just try to start something completely fresh because everything before theater wise has been you know, Skywalker adjacent, right, So do you try to like continue to have some sort of tether connected to that? Do you just do like the wasn't it Mangold was going to do some sort of like ancient Jedi story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's a that's a that's a negatory on that one. That's not happening.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I don't know, I mean it's I don't know. I don't know, Like, I mean, all those stories could be amazing, but it doesn't guarantee that people are going to get lit up about it and show up.
Speaker 2: You know, like what do what do you want?
Speaker 3: It's like that the guy the test screening in the Simpsons, you know, when you showing the gene sketchy thing.
Speaker 2: What do you kids want? You don't even know? Yeah, yes, me crying, don't yell at us? I think you know, you know, who needs to ride to the rescue right now? Obviously Ryan Johnson, right, that will go over like a lead balloon, right right, right is his trilogy, remember, which is like that, you know, one of many announced. That's the other thing Star Wars, Like, god damn, how many friggin things did they announce? Oh?
Speaker 3: I know, the Game of Thrones. Guys, dude, man Gold Johnson.
Speaker 2: It's like, why did they do that?
Speaker 3: Remember, there's going to be a Lando something with Donald Donald Glover, which apparently was written at some point, but I mean.
Speaker 2: It became a joke, you know, but then it not that it couldn't be good. But again, like, what's the ten year plan?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 3: We're just going to do random stories that take place in the Star Wars universe that are not necessarily connected in different time periods, or do we try to focus on I mean, with Starfighter, I wonder if that with right now Gossling starring in it. I'm sure they weren't like, oh, we'll make one of these and see what happens. It's like, no, no, I got a plan with Ryan.
Speaker 2: Guy was about to say, I have a feeling that there are a lot of franchise hopes hanging around his shoulders, right, especially in the aftermath of Project Hill Mary doing what it did. Yeah, obviously that Ray movie, which I am, I am looking forward to. I hope it happens.
Speaker 3: I think it's a good idea. Yeah, Personally, I don't know when I think those characters Oh sorry, sorry, not good, No go ahead. I just think those characters got kind of underserved, and I think there's more you could do with those characters, and hopefully they can come up with something interesting and fresh and different.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, so a couple points right. Number one. The thing with Star Wars that's great is that even if the movie or the whatever it is that you've made is not great, you have the opportunity to tweak it later. And I don't mean tweak it like George Lucas tweaking with the Special Atistance. I mean you just do another story that adds context. Right, So the Clone Wars and bad Batch added greater context to you know, the prequels, right, the Mandalorian has set some things up that adds greater context to the sequels. You can do a new movie or series of movies with Ray and maybe the other characters that allow, you know, things that felt undercooked in those three movies to feel more resonant or revelatory later, right, So you always have that opportunity. That's the great thing about a tapestry, that's always unfolding. So I'm like take advantage of that. Now that being said, I think that both Marvel and Star Wars have been severely diluted because of just all these streaming shows, right. And my feeling is, if you're doing a streaming series, it has to be something distinct from what we expect out of a movie. Right. The whole selling point initially was, hey, you stream them, you turn on your Disney Plus, It's like you're getting something right out of the theater. Right. But that's bad actually, Right, So Marvel is not helped by the Falcon and the Winter Soldier streaming series, you get my point totally, Yeah, Marvel is helped by wonder Man. Wonder Man. I think the WandaVision show was a perfect is different something. And by the way, even WandaVision they kind of shit the bed at the very ending where it became just exploding, you know, throwing colored lights at each other. Right. Yeah, yeah, so like but WandaVision conceptually, yeah, that's not something you're gonna get in a movie. Right, Star Wars and or right. Yeah, that's something distinct and specific, and you would not do that as a movie. So my point is you have to serve different audiences. Yeah, that's the trick. And hope, hopefully these guys are figuring this out. I shud say, by the way, this Darth Maul series. Have you been watching this? No, My brother was just telling me about it. He started it. It is really good. Yeah, that's what he was saying. Yeah, you will like it. It's very very good. Okay, cool, Yeah, anyway, moving on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, actually real quick, just as long as we're talking about box office and that sort of thing and how things have changed.
Speaker 2: It's also way real quick as we're recording this, it's already a year ago that Thunderbolts was in theaters. And then wow, that is health right.
Speaker 3: In my mind the way that I think of that movie and remember it, it feels sort of like Black Widow, where it was like maybe something that dropped on Disney Plus or something that I watched and was pretty good, but like I've kind of forgotten it, like it's it's been lost to culture. You know, just kind of said anyway, sorry, go on, No, but I was just looking at box office as they tend to do on Sunday mornings, and then I was just noticing, I mean, so many things are doing really well this year. I mean, Devil War's Prada open to two hundred and thirty three million worldwide opening weekend.
Speaker 2: That's huge.
Speaker 3: Michael is almost at half a billion in its second week, Mario Galaxy is at eight hundred million worldwide, Project tail Mary six hundred thirty eight million worldwide. Even smaller movies like the Drama are at one hundred million worldwide. Like that's it feels like it's getting a little healthier. Box office is getting a little healthier out there than from you know what it was a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: That's good. I think this is all encouraging stuff. I agree. I think to some extent, nature is healing when it comes to people's relationship with theatrical I hope that continues. Yeah, yeah, it's nice. I think if we're not relying solely on superheroes to save the day, that's that's all. That's all well and good totally.
Speaker 3: I mean I still enjoy though, and but I like seeing all of it succeed. I mean, these all these movies I listed are so different. Like I'm shocked that the drama is over one hundred million. I think that's amazing and really speaks to what a great story it is, and like a movie worth discussing.
Speaker 2: And then Project til Mary, which comes from a book.
Speaker 3: You know, it's not like based on some ip necessarily, I mean, you know the book, but like you know what I'm saying, Like it's not based on some video game or whatever that everybody already knows.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, almost seven hundred million, and it's.
Speaker 3: Something like Devil Ward's proud Oft too, like a legacyquel opening up to two hundred and thirty three million. That's I don't know. I just find it all encouraging, and I like the variety of all of it.
Speaker 2: I agree. I'm with you. Yeah, but hey, speaking of the stuff that's in theaters right now and now, we're pleased to bring you our features and we are back. And you know who else is back? Brian? Who's that? Zechi? Why it's Miranda Priestley and Andy Sachs together again, together again after twenty long years, a desert without the Devil wears Prada. Wow, you put it that way. Twenty year nuts twenty years. That's nuts. That like to me, I think of like speaking of Star Wars, when you know when the re release of Star Wars for the special editions, Yeah, that was twenty years, So that's that's how long you know. Wow, anyway, you saw this, you just got out of the theater.
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, through some editing magic. I saw this. I walked out about like thirty minutes ago.
Speaker 2: So well, I have not seen it. Ah, And so rather than attempt to bullshit my way through a review with you, I thought, you know, you should talk to my wife Amina, because she just saw it last night and she's a big fan of the first one. I thought you guys could have a good conversation. I'd love it. All right, here's Amna. Okay, I'm gonna.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Movie Film Podcast. You know, do you remember the last time you were on the podcast.
Speaker 4: It's been a while. We were talking about Superman.
Speaker 2: I think that's right.
Speaker 3: I think Zachie he needed to take a restroom break, but we were doing a commentary so we couldn't pause, and then he had you fill in.
Speaker 4: That was so funny.
Speaker 2: That was very funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So, okay, you watched The Devil Wars Product two last night, I guess to begin, tell me about The Devil War's product one.
Speaker 2: So are you a fan of that movie? Have you been that?
Speaker 4: I was a fan. I'm a fan. I'm a big fan still actually, So when I heard that they were going to be bringing these characters back, I was really excited actually, but of course I was wondering, how are they going to pull that off? Like, how are they going to bring these people back? You know, because you know she left, she left and just walked away from that world. So so I was I was curious. I was like, Okay, let me see what they have, Let's see how they do this.
Speaker 2: So then, what did you think?
Speaker 4: I liked it? It worked for me. Actually, I was surprised. I was like, yeah, just seeing the back on screen, seeing those core characters again, Andy, Emily, Miranda. There are iconic characters. And Meryl Streep is just amazing. She steals every scene.
Speaker 2: She's just as witty and devastating as she ever was.
Speaker 4: She is. There's that tension, that tension is still there. It is scary. I'm like, I would never want to work for her ever, so oh she's still scary to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well so I guess, I mean, we can without getting into spoilers, we can talk about sort of how they bring.
Speaker 2: Everybody back together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which, like you were saying, I mean Andy and Hathaway's character, like you said, she kind of walks away from that Runway Magazine world to the first movie, and now she is a journalist, yeah right, and she works at some publication I don't remember what it was, but basically her and her the other journalists are fired immediately right at the beginning, and she's without work and she needs, you know, to find.
Speaker 4: Something the money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and she wants.
Speaker 3: To write things that have like integrity, right, Like she's really about like journalism going on at the same time, Basically, Miranda Priestley is going through a scandal right.
Speaker 4: Right right where they're bringing in like relevant topics. They're bringing in like fast fashion, they're bringing in how print is declining, you know, how journalism is kind of evolving, how fashion is evolving, and you know how these changes are kind of affecting these people.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And if I remember this correctly, because I just watched this like like two hours ago, but the company that owns Runway Magazine basically was doing some nefarious stuff, right, and that was like trickling down and Priestley and her magazine were sort of getting sucked into that controversy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're trying to taper that down, and so say they need like a journalist to come in and kind of have a different angle and kind of talk about something else kind of and take away from their involvement with fast fashion.
Speaker 3: Right, do in sort of like a like a clever mea culpa right where it's like, we acknowledge this, but you know, also sort of re reframed themselves and.
Speaker 4: Separate themselves telling their side of the story, I guess.
Speaker 3: And so that led to what I thought was one of the most clever parts of this was, you know, they Miranda and Andy have their complicated relationship in the first movie, but they also have a little bit of a.
Speaker 2: You know, they bond in their own unique sort of way.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I think she sees herself in her a little bit like that rebellious or like, you know, the success, she sees it in her totally.
Speaker 3: So, and what I thought was clever was it the beginning of this one. How do you bring them back together and still make it fun and fresh and let Miranda sort of cut her down in like the you know, the witty and fun way that we enjoy, and it's basically she doesn't remember her.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I thought that was a great way. She comes in. I think Handy comes in thinking that she's been hired by Miranda, like personal invite back to the company. Yeah, and she walks in all excited, like giddy, you know, with excitement, and she's like, who are you? Like, do I know you? Like, what does she not remember? They spend all this time? But if you think about it, like from Miranda, it's just maybe one year or summer that she spent with this girl.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 4: And but for Andy, it was like her whole life revolved around this time working for this company that shaped her future. But you know, you're wondering also, is like is she joking and she is just real that she not really remember her?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, if it was something she was keeping, yeah yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's like that feeling like is she is she friendly with her? Or she really you know, are they are they on the same page? Are they are they really friendly or not? Or is she joking?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: So that was funny. Is that power dynamic kind of like, you know, I don't really need you, but you're here final work with you.
Speaker 2: M deep down maybe she remembers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think deep down she did. She was just probably playing with her Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But so then, yeah, what did you think of the story? I mean a lot of times with sequels, especially these legas sequels, I mean I think of something like The Force Awakens, Yeah, where they one of the criticisms is trying to give people what they want. They basically change things enough, but tell the same story again because they know it works. Like do you feel like this was a different enough story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So they played into the nostalgia definitely, the giving the fans what they want, but it is tricky having something new. Also, they found a good balance between the two, bringing in different ideas, different people come in. They had the same characters but also new characters, which was nice to see. So definitely, I think they balanced it pretty well.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was surprised to see bj Novak from the opposite of this.
Speaker 3: I like him, but he has an interesting character and something that feels very of this moment exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, Yeah, and we see that a lot with companies, right, with new people comeing in and they just want to revamp it alls a little way downsize, keep it, you know, cash coming in without spending that kind of thing. So it is something they tried to update it to the world we're in now, and I think they did a pretty good job reflecting those changes.
Speaker 3: I thought so too, because I sometimes when I watch movies and people are dealing with these sort of champagne problems, it's hard to relate or even care because you're like, I would love to have your problem, you.
Speaker 2: Know what I mean.
Speaker 3: You know, like, because Miranda is like her magazine they fall apart, but she's like mourning this in this gorgeous hotel room in like Milan, you know what I mean. It's like, oh no, But what I think the movie does a good job of is for her, it wasn't necessarily about money. It was about the death of the appreciation of art, right like in her speech when she's saying, like if this, you know, if someone else comes in and turns this magazine into something else like it will it would be sad to her that there would be it would no longer be a celebration of beauty and artistry, you know, and things that are special and hard work and all that sort of thing. And I thought that was a really brilliant way to make you care about this magazine that could otherwise maybe feel a little frivolous, right.
Speaker 4: Right, Why do I care about these people who have everything? You know? But yeah, there is that compassion that you feel for She's human, you know, in the end, and you feel for her because she could lose everything and those relationships at what cost. Right, She's lost you know her. I think her first husband's a different husband this time. Yeah, and her kids have grown up kind of not knowing her. So you know, success comes at a price. She paid the price, you know, to get where she is and to lose it all at that point it is devastating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I sorry, this is getting a little into spoilery stuff for people who are listening, but if they want to skip ahead just a little bit, they can't. But I did like that she got into that, you know, where she Those are like the best moments in both movies, I think is when Miranda gets vulnerable.
Speaker 2: M h you know, like when you.
Speaker 3: See her with her makeup off, Yeah, you know, learning she's going to get a divorce in the first movie, and then in this one, I really liked that moment with her in the Hamptons and she's giddy and you've never seen that side of her.
Speaker 4: Yeah. It's funny because in the in the last movie, you know, Andy has to know all the background for all the people, and she's introducing, you know, Miranda to all these Oh, and it's the opposite this time. This time Miranda is like, handy, look who this is? This is this person? This is that person? How Andy meet this person? And it's the roles have kind of switched in a sense, like you feel the shift a little bit. Again, they're still not equals. They're not equals yet, right, but but yeah, she's doing the introductions and she's saying, Hey, these are my friends. I want you to meet them in her inner circle of you know, family and friends, right.
Speaker 3: Which feels like an enormous deal for this person whos a huge and.
Speaker 4: Remember you right, Yeah, I thought you didn't know who I was. Why am I invited you to your Hampton house?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And again this is a little spoilery, so people want to click ahead just a little bit. But I also loved that moment when they were sharing the car and she learns about the book that's going to be written, right, and.
Speaker 4: She's like, feel about it.
Speaker 2: She knew about it, a she knew about it.
Speaker 3: And also she's like do it, yeah, like you should do it, and frankly like people should know that all of these things that I work hard for do come at a cost.
Speaker 2: You know what you say.
Speaker 3: You reminded me of it when you were talking about, you know, her relationship with her children suffered for all the things that she did, and I just, yeah, the vulnerability whenever she gets has these little brief moments of vulnerability with Andy especially, it's always kind of nice. And she has a nice moment with Nigel also.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 4: She didn't know all this time how much Nigel wanted that position or that part of the job. And she's like, oh, I didn't know. He never told me, you know, And so that was interesting too, like she just sometimes you're oblivious, like you just take people for granted because they're there and they do the job. They don't complain, and so that was nice moment where she's like, wait a second, I think he really wants this, and she lets him speak at the end because now he owns it. Kind of that part m hm.
Speaker 3: So yeah, how great is Stanley Tucci. He's great, right, He's just like I like, I want him to be my friend. I know, you know, you know, he's like a little sassy. He'll cut you down, but.
Speaker 2: Like you know, he takes care of you.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm wear of this, I got you, you know, just take care of it and bring it back. But yeah, he's looking out for everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he doesn't ask.
Speaker 4: He doesn't ask. That's the thing. That's why I think she didn't know mm hm, because he never complained about it.
Speaker 3: By the way, you brought up Miranda's new husband or boyfriends, and it's Kenneth Branaf.
Speaker 4: I know he's an icon himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well yeah, and it's not a very big role.
Speaker 3: But what made me laugh was he had the beard and everything, and it reminded me of exactly how he looked when he was that villain in the movie Tenant.
Speaker 4: See I haven't seen Tenant. It's like he's been telling me to see it.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I was like, I'd love to think because we're not seeing a lot of screen time with him. When Miranda's off doing her things, he's off on the boat fighting some sort of time war.
Speaker 2: In reverse having the.
Speaker 4: Tendancy multiverse ordering a multiverse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically time folding in on itself. Kind of war nice anyway, that made me laugh.
Speaker 4: He was great in it though. I'm like, he's a nice little like big name, but not a big character really. But he was nice to her and he appreciated her, I think, which was nice.
Speaker 2: That was nice to seem. Yeah. Yeah. Also, well, speaking of what did you think of Andy's love interest?
Speaker 4: I liked him. I mean he was he was nice. We're like, okay, I didn't want it to be the same exact story that was last time, where she's ignoring him and he's like, you don't give me enough time. He's like, okay, you do your thing when you're ready. You know. That was kind of sweet. It's like they didn't have the perfect start. I like to show what she said, she like, wedt have the perfect start or the perfect ending, but we can kind of be imperfect together. Jet. That was kind of sweet.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I had seen some people like online and then when my friends and I walked out, my friends were saying that he felt a little pointless.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I could see that. I could see that. But she needed something because like again, we're talking twenty years later, where you kind of expect the character to kind of be a little bit you know, settled or maybe have a relationship with somebody. So she didn't really have that all these years, or they didn't really talk about it, you know. With Emily's character, she has kids, she's divorced, she's kind of moved on, but we didn't really see that with Andy's characters. So I think they were trying to show like, hey, you know, she's still, you know, out there trying to find the right person. But he didn't have a huge he didn't have a huge role, but I think he was kind of needed just for some kind of like stability, for her.
Speaker 3: Stability, and he almost works as a barometer also for like where she is, you know, when she's kind of at her best, and where she's when she's at her worst. So I yeah, I can understand that feeling. But he kind of worked for me. He was interesting too because he wasn't super dynamic.
Speaker 4: I wasn't sure who the actor was. Actually, I'm like, am I supposed to know who he is?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 4: Because with Kenneth Branag, like we knew, like he's this big actor, but with her love interest. It wasn't I don't feel like he was a huge actor. Maybe that wasn't the point, but yeah, it could have been maybe another actor. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I I actually kind of liked the guy, and for that reason, I liked that he wasn't unlike was it Simon Baker in the first movie?
Speaker 2: You know, he's like a bit of a lot.
Speaker 4: He was a bigger yeah, kind of a bigger name.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But also that character is a little more larger than life, you know, And I liked that this guy felt, I don't know, just more like a real person. So it was kind of interesting seeing Andy, you know, one foot in that glamorous world and then one foot with this nice guy you know, who's yeah, it looks like he's composed and got it together, but he's also very much not a part of that world. And so it's you know, it's a little rote and maybe you know, a small part of the movie. But I didn't dislike it as much as I've heard.
Speaker 4: Other people's yeah yeah, it worked for me, it was okay, Like I think it was all right. He think she needed some kind of relationship with someone to just to ground her I think a little bit.
Speaker 2: Totally totally.
Speaker 3: Were there any other things that sort of stood out to you or moments he liked or Oh I.
Speaker 4: Love Emily Blunt. I do love her, and I love the riff between the two of them. They still have that like banter, which is really funny. You know, she still kind of puts her down like, oh my gosh, your eyebrows putting down although she is dressed, just like what what is wrong with this? You know, oh my gosh. And it's just funny seeing that relationship too, but very sweet where they are in the end. They're like kind of having you know, lunch together and they're friendly, but she's still not like calling her a friend, so it's going to continue. I think that's just how she is, you know, So it's just funny. I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 3: That's like a perfect example also where I feel like I really like this way.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I said it outright, but I really enjoyed it.
Speaker 3: I thought it was a perfect sequel because you don't want to do all the same beats again. Yeah, you want to revisit these characters, but you want to see them doing something different but still acting like themselves. And I think she's the perfect example where she's doing a very different thing in this movie, but she's still very much felt like herself. Yeah, and so it was fun to revisit.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I felt the same way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I have to say, if you love the first one, you're gonna definitely love this one. I think this is definitely the same bea same, same type of feelings that feel good. Some some parts are a little sad, You're like, and then you go through it, you work with it, and then you feel good in the end.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, thank you for talking about this with me.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much. This was fun for me. I know Zackie gets to do this all the time, but this is like a new adventure for me. I love love talking about things that I enjoy too, so this has been fun for me.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is perfect.
Speaker 3: I was really excited to talk about it as soon as I got out of it, and I was excited I was gonna get to talk about it with you.
Speaker 4: Ah, thanks, Bryan. I hope we get to talk again.
Speaker 2: Definitely, definitely. Okay, Well I'm back. I hope that went well.
Speaker 3: Yes, we had a lovely conversation. Thank you, Thank you for rejoining.
Speaker 2: Well, now the situation is reversed because she has not seen Michael. Uh huh. I, on the other hand, have yes, as have you. I have. So, you know, here's a movie that's burning up the box office, doing pretty well. Absolutely yeah, it's making a Hunger Games money for lions Gate. Yeah, right, which they're happy about it. I mean, this movie is looking to end up as like, definitely the biggest music bio pick of all time. But I think it's gonna end up, you know, checking off a lot of other boxes too before all astenden.
Speaker 3: Then, yes, I was just about to say, that's unsurprising thinking about Michael Jackson and his worldwide you know, stardom and how hubble loved he's been and stuff. But it really isn't a guaranteed thing necessarily. I mean, his who he was in the eighties and nineties is obviously very different now in the twenty twenties. For starters, he's people have a lot of different opinions about him. But also this movie went through a lot of turmoil, right. They probably thought they had like something in the bag at one point, but when they had this movie all shot and we're editing, they realized that they suddenly were gonna have to get rid of the third act of this movie, and like, what the heck do we do now that a third of our movie is gone? So, I mean, I'm sure they had a lot of you know, panic attacks over there, and for this to come out as successful as it has must they must just be like sitting back in their chairs, exhaling, wiping the sweat from their brows.
Speaker 2: Dodged a bullet. Yeah yeah. So just just looking at the box office of this overall. So this this is via Scott Mendelssohn and his box office analysis. He says, Michael continues to glide to Gloria, earning another fifty four million over the weekend for a one hundred and eighty four million ten day total. In terms of second weekend holds, that's just a shade worse quote unquote than Elvis and Bohemian Rhapsody. But it opened bigger, so I'd end up doing a lot more. Uh, And presumably there's going to be a sequel that I guess we can have that conversation. So I I just saw this movie yesterday. I spent a week trying to watch it, and then I have not seen the drama yet, but I went endured my own drama just trying to get to the theater to watch Michael. So I'm glad finally we were able to make it work. And obviously the most important question when we watch music bio pic is does it does it pass the dewey Cox test right? And by that we mean does it stick to those beats that are the tropes that that walk hard the dewey Cox story established, or does it does it break away and do its own thing? And it does not break away and do it. No, it's very much, very very strenuously to the dewey Cox template up to it, including dewey Cox says to remember his whole life. Yes, forums yep. I was like, really we doing this? Yep? Now, I said, either in our Dude Cox commentary or at some other point, I was like, I know is going to be a toe tapper of a movie. And like I was sitting there watching this thing, and I had my feet up on the you know how you recline, and unconsciously I glanced down at my feet and they're like tapping against each other.
Speaker 3: Zachie, I'll bring it up now because you did. But there was a moment where I was literally shimming in my seat and I got self conscious and I looked over and the guy next to me was doing the same thing. And then I looked down the aisle because everyone had their recliner seats up. Every foot was moving, every foot, and I actually wanted to take a video because it was so funny. But yeah, like, did they succeed in, you know, making everybody enjoy like Michael Jackson's music again and feel it all over again.
Speaker 2: Absolute Now insofar as did they make a v yes that is compelling, Yes, in my opinion, they did not. Yeah, I think it. It's so it's so tropy. Yeah, and it's so like hopscotches over these chunks of time that it I couldn't I couldn't find my way into any of the emotional moments. And there's a couple of reasons. Actually, Partly I think that obviously the whole legal business about like there there's okay, so step backward. I happened to glance at the Rot Tomatoes number and I saw that the critic you know, appraisal is not great. And you know, there are there are Michael Jackson fans on the internet who I would say are a little aggressive, you know, And and their whole contention is that you know that he's just a sanctified person, right, And I'm like, well, nobody, nobody is that. And I'm not even saying that. I'm not coming at it from the perspective of the things he was accused of, right, you know, because obviously there's like, oh, well, there's there's enough of a shadow of a doubt over that we say, okay, let's just put that to one side, right, But I am saying like he was a human being, and and I think that there was an opportunity to delve into his inner life far more than this movie does. It feels he feels very reactive, and he feels very he feels like like I just want to bring light to the world and all this, right, and and so there there there was something frustratingly arms length that made it feel like an exercise in brand management. Right. And it's funny because there's one thing we'll talk more about various other things, but there's one scene where it's it's where Michael's meeting with his attorneys and they got all these guys. They're all sitting at the long table like well, mister Jackson, we think we should do this, Well, maybe you can do this, you know, all these and then and then one guy, here's what I think you should do. Nobody kind of glances over, and there's Miles Teller. You know, you're you're gonna be the greatest or whatever he says. You know, he's he's Tony Danza. Yeah yeah. And then and then he's the guy who you know, he he he separates Michael from from his father, which, holy shit, we need to talk about Coleman Domingo's performance in a second. There's so much to talk about. But I was like, what a weirdly prominent role to give this random guy. And it turns out he's a producer on the movie. Yeah, I was like, holy shit, Okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, made himself one of the like foremost important people in this decade spanning story.
Speaker 2: I know. So now that's it. I want to say Jaffar Jackson, who plays Michael, there are times, and I don't mean this as an insult, there are times he looks like a deep fake of Michael Jackson. Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, it's interesting when he first shows up and he does the voice, you know, the.
Speaker 2: You know, I just want to make you know, good music, like we our entire lives.
Speaker 3: Michael Jackson has been parodied, Yeah, you know what I mean, like the Tonight Show, the Las Vegas whatever, you know, Saturday Night Live. We've seen his look parodied and his voice certainly parodied. So like, this guy has a lot working against him trying to come up with a take on Michael Jackson and now having us instinctively snicker that's right, right, And so it did. There was a moment when he kind of did the voice. I was like, Oh, I don't know, I don't know. I don't know if I can like get lose myself to that. But to his credit, I did.
Speaker 2: I agree, Yeah, I agree. I think he's good. However, I have seen people say this is a star making turn from Jafar Jackson, and to that, I say, well is it? Though? He is an excellent Michael Jackson impersonator. That's my point, right, I'm like, what other roles like he could go on tour playing Michael Jackson. Yeah, And by the.
Speaker 3: Way I feel immediately I want to say that I don't know because I don't feel like I've seen him do anything else. Like not a lot of people could do what he did in this movie. He does it right, really really means he's.
Speaker 2: Star making I don't know, because I mean he could play a lot of other people, know, right, So so you know, the hyperbole gets a little much.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, but that's like, well, going to what you were saying, I mean, yeah, the.
Speaker 2: The fandom online has been pretty intense with this movie. It's it's a lot. It's a lot, you know. And this is not something I've engaged with directly. This is just purely observational from you know, our friend Paul Shiy wrote a review which I read as mostly mixed. I didn't even read the review. I read his review after I watched the movie, but I saw Edie had posted his review on social media, and then just you know, I saw like just a shit ton of comments under I'm like, oh, let's see this, and it's just man, people coming out of the woodworks, you know. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, like we talked about in our bonus episode over at Patreon, I started watching The Pit and I was shocked to find that The Pit has this crazy intense online fandom. So, I mean, it's just it's just in the air these.
Speaker 2: Days, there's something something broken Yeah. Anyway, Now, now I think by virtue of having to sanctify Michael to what I would say is, I don't know about realistic or unrealistic in terms of what actually happened, but I think in terms of drama, it's a drama killer because he's so good instead of being complicated. Does that make sense?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 3: As a perfect moment that like sums that up for me is when he gets Bubbles the chimp.
Speaker 2: I was about to bring this up.
Speaker 3: Okay, go ahead, Well, so he's basically you know, he this rescues the Bubbles and he's brought to his mansion where the whole family lives. And now, after watching the movie, Nope, I think we've all learned that maybe it's not a good idea to use real animals in movies, just.
Speaker 2: Having lived on this earth and knowing what tends to happen. Yeah, they're wild animals.
Speaker 3: Maybe now that we have the technology, we should use you know, CGI to recreate animals.
Speaker 2: It's safer, it's it's better.
Speaker 3: It doesn't look always that great, but it is what it is, right, So I wasn't surprised that Bubbles was.
Speaker 2: A CGI creation. Yeah, However, when.
Speaker 5: The Bubbles meets Michael, he basically looks into Michael's eyes and smiles as if he's some sort of like Disney like snow White, you know, animal.
Speaker 2: I expected Andy Serkus's voice to come out and say, Bubbles is home.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, well, I mean it's like he almost looks at him like he's like Jesus or something like in a movie where you'd see someone like like an animal looking at Jesus and then they smile because they know that's their creator, you.
Speaker 2: Know, or something like. It's like this weird.
Speaker 3: I was like, that's odd, Like they're really trying to like deify.
Speaker 2: Well, and so let me let me add to that. See this this gets to something, right, Like, let's put all of the accusations to one side. Yeah, yeah, what we can say is that Michael was, and not necessarily through any fault of his own, he was kind of an odd guy, right, and and things like I want a lama, I want a chimpanzee. I'm sorry, but that's a little odd, right yeah yeah yeah yeah. And and so to me, fundamentally, there's here like the movie sort of broadly acknowledged this idea that he didn't feel like he had a childhood, right, But I'm like, well, what does like look at how that manifests Like that's interesting to me and I want more of that. He's the biggest star in the world. He can have whatever he wants. And what does he do? He goes to a toy store, right, And I'm not saying we we be like, look at this weirdo. No, that's let's get into that. Yes, let's get into that, right, And instead it's kind of we got Coleman Domingo just hamming it up as just the worst piece of shit father on Earth. I haven't had thought he is too. Actually, he's very watchable. I will say that for sure. I mean, but I just have so much I want to say, but yeah, yeah, sorry, Coleman Domingo is one step away from no wire hangers. You know he's doing he's doing that. You know what's interesting? I actually.
Speaker 3: Just look, I mean I only know things I've read and past things I've watched, like The Jackson five, the American Dream.
Speaker 2: I think it was the Jackson. Yeah, that's I've learned.
Speaker 3: You know, what a monster Joe Jackson was, right, And so in this movie there's a scene where he uses his belt on Young Michael, and I almost started crying. It was so upsetting, like that that little actor playing young Michael, this is incredible. And but that's kind of as far as it goes with him. And you know, he says things about Michael's nose, which we know happened, but other than that, he comes across mostly as like stern And I was like, that's interesting because this is being produced by the family and it almost feels like they're like pushing him up a little bit too, Like, yeah, he did some things that we don't agree with, but like he kept it all together, you know, like he made it happen like that. That was how I took it because well, I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying what I didn't see was disturbing, but like we know that he relentlessly bullied Michael and made fun of his acne. He made fun of his nose to the point that when Michael Jackson died and was on like a slab in a corner's office, he had a hole in his face, no nose because of that friggin monster of a father, right, And I thought, if you really did a movie that like got into it, I think he would have been even worse.
Speaker 2: I think it gets to like, what's the threshold for how much of this do people want to you know what?
Speaker 3: And I agree with that. I agree with that because I don't think people want to see that. They want to bop when they start playing thrill.
Speaker 2: That's the problem, right, Yeah, And so so there is some there is that complexity of Joe Jackson's piece of shit. Mm hmm. We don't get Michael Jackson without Joe Jackson, yes, and that's an uncomfortable truth, yeah, yeah, And obviously the movie is not gonna want to do with that. Yeah. Yeah. But but again it's like there there is a legitimate horror movie jump scare scene, yes, where Michael is at the fridge. He opens the fridge door and then he closes it and there's Joe Jackson standing there. Yeah. Right, so he's like he's like the ghostface of this movie. You know, it's right right. There is a scene by the way where it's it's Joe Jackson played by Coleman Domingo and and he's sitting with Don King who plays him who plays him, I don't know, but he's very good. Uh that It felt like a like a key and peel sketch. That was sure. Yeah, I mean, well, Don King feels like a cartoon character. It was Dion Cole. I knew he looked familiar. It was the uncle. Oh wow, I didn't. I knew he looked familiar. That's funny, right, But it's literally like they're like lighting their cigars like we're you know, I mean, it's so like comically, you know, it's it's so broad. Oh, absolutely, yeah. You know we're gonna go on this tour and make sure Michael's gonna be there to puff puff you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you guarantee it, Joe, because if you don't, you know, there'll be a price to pay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know, it's funny.
Speaker 3: I was telling people, I feel like this movie is less deep than a Wikipedia article, you know what I mean. Like usually that's the thing where you're like, oh, it's like they filmed a Wikipedia article. This has less like insight than Wikipedia articles, and like one of my favorite I maybe this is a spoiler.
Speaker 2: I'll say this.
Speaker 3: The scenes aren't very long, and they're not very deep. They're just connective tissue to the next musical.
Speaker 2: Number, and those are all fricking great.
Speaker 3: And they're great and their full length, you know what I mean. And I've been telling people like, if I have a review for this movie, it would have to have a title called a Tale of two Brian's because is this a good biography of an incredibly complex superstar, like a once in a century superstar, and like a little bit of digging into who he was and why not even remotely?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: Did I enjoy every performance and find myself moving in my chair? And if someone asked me, do you want to see it again? I'd say yes, like because I enjoyed myself. So it's a it's it's such a strange movie in a way.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, so here here's where I'm at, right, because because I think the most apt comp is Bohemian Rhapsody for Me, Yeah, which and apparently one of the same producers, right, Yeah, And Mike Myers is in both. Mike Myers is in both OLDO remember, well, I know he's in boheman, who is he in this? Oh?
Speaker 3: He's the guy who Uh Miles Teller is like you got to get Michael on MTV or we walk or no, He's like, are we pull all the CBS catalog?
Speaker 2: Okay? So that's actually pretty brilliant because I was like, I know this is a guy. I should know who it is. Oh funny, yeah yeah, you did not recognize that it was Mike Myer. Mike Myers, So is this just Mike Myers? Like career third act? He just plays music executives.
Speaker 3: He's just going to be in that great what's his name, Graham the producer? I don't know, but U in his cinematic universe of musicians, he's always going to play some music producer.
Speaker 2: Now, that was a true thing that happened, which I thought was pretty cool about MTV being like, oh, we don't play black artists, which is so aft up. Yeah yeah, so yeah. So that being said, so Bohemian Rhapsody, I had very much the same response where my toes were tapping. I thought it was historical nonsense. It felt like brand management. Even when I was watching it and as I was walking out of the theater, I downloaded the soundtrack to my phone. Yeah, absolutely right, So same sequence in this. I had the exact same responses tapping my toes, being like, this is pretty clearly brand management, up to and including all the family members being producers except Janet, who Janet Jackson doesn't exist in this dojo.
Speaker 3: Yes, I know, which I thought would have been funny if they had like sort of kept her. But she was always in shadow or something. You'd never see her.
Speaker 2: She's like Wilson and Home improvis.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, exactly, or it's like always her shoulder or something.
Speaker 2: But like and then guess what I get in my car and I put on Michael Jackson, right, Yeah, So that's my point. I think it goes through the paces of these music biopics. And by the way, this is something we talked about when we were watching Dewey Cox. It's like, why do this template because guess what, it works, because that's what audiences want. And when you when you when you go off roading, people don't show up, Like like the Springsteen movie. People didn't show up for that, I know, because it was trying not to do that. Yep. So it's like I can't even fault them for making the movie they made. I think. I think you go where the money is. But let's be very clear, this is an exercise in brand management and you should just know that going.
Speaker 3: In, yes, and leave it up to yourself if you feel okay about that. I mean, that's the thing he is, regardless of what you believe about all.
Speaker 2: Of the tales surrounding him.
Speaker 3: He is a controversial person, right, you know, And there's many, many layers of this person. And I wish the movie had dug into that because I'm interested. And also, is it irresponsible not to, you know, just to I don't know, turn him into this saintly figure that he he wasn't nobody is, you know, And so is that kind of.
Speaker 2: I don't know, just kind of I would say yes, I would say yes, it is irresponsible because that's not real. Yeah, apparently. I mean the you know, the first cut, the Antoine Fuqua submitted, you know, the way they shot it, it was the flashback situated around Michael dealing with the first of the accusations. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, because this begins full on Dewey Cox, right where he's about to go on stage for the Bad Tour and it's like the back of his head thinking about his life. The original version was him at Neverland Ranch looking in a mirror and police lights suddenly appear all around.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, Like how did you think that? Like that? That's such a complete one to eighty from the movie.
Speaker 3: They made right, you know what actually, and maybe that is why we got the movie we got, you know, and we might not have even agreed with their take on everything, but at least it sounds like they were going to try to go there.
Speaker 2: And maybe.
Speaker 3: When they lost a huge portion of this movie and they had to like fill in the gaps and shoot new things and pad it out, maybe they lost a lot of grit along the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, no, I I think that's exactly what happened. I mean, you ended up sanding it down to just I mean that there's there's no texture at all, you know. The other thing is it with you know, and the story continued or something like whatever it says at the end, right, yeah, And I'm like, so are you what are you going to do the last twenty years of his life? What does that movie look like? You know?
Speaker 3: From interviews and things that I've read, it sounds like they could sidestep some of that stuff. I mean, you have to address it to some degree, but it sounds like they could do what they did here and just basically make a concert film and do you know whatever bad dangerous history history, right, you know, I don't know. By the way, speaking of controversial figures. Did you notice the guy cast as John Landis during the Thriller video?
Speaker 2: I don't know, but like I.
Speaker 3: Was looking for him, yeah, because I knew Landis had directed it and I was curious if they'd show him, and they perfectly.
Speaker 2: They cast this guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh he's good. He's got a beard in the glasses. He totally looks like nineteen eighty three John Landis. But it's funny that they they do the thing I said they should have done with Janet, like they keep him in shadow and he is never because they're like, look, man, we're not even we don't need these towing frame together. Look, there's just so much to ignore.
Speaker 2: It's deafening. Yeah. But but Thriller was the one where I noticed.
Speaker 3: I was like totally moving in my seat and everybody in the theater was bopping' and it was really fun to watch.
Speaker 2: I mean, they basically show the whole music video recreated. Yeah. That, and I loved the scene where he's doing a beat it with the Crips and the Bloods. Yeah, that was cool and a true story, I guess. Yeah, you know, I think I think performing Billy Jean at the Awards show, like I mean, this is see, this is the thing right, Like to me, I'm able to hold these two thoughts in my mind. Michael Jackson was a complicated guy and one of the greatest musicians of all time. He has made some of the greatest songs ever made, full stop, right, And I think people are sophisticated enough to be able to hold both those thoughts. And so I don't see the the I don't see the value of of making a two hour promo reel for performances that you can just watch on YouTube.
Speaker 3: I'd agree with you, except I'm looking at the box office.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so clearly I'm wrong on that regard, But I'm like, you have an opportunity here to go deep instead of wide.
Speaker 3: And even if they still tried to whitewash everything and they didn't go into the things that make it a little murkier, but they like, you know, in the eighties, there were so many rumors about him that he slept in a hyperbaric chamber.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, he was dating Brooks Shields for a while.
Speaker 3: What was that about, Like his complicated relationship with Paul McCartney and you know, buying the Beatles music, you know, and all that stuff, Like, there's just so many interesting little things you could sort of dig into that might give you some more insight into who he was. Or how did he feel that he was very talented and beloved by a lot of people, but also a big portion of the world he's a weirdo, right, how did that feel? You know, like those are the things I wish And that's not even like going into like the deeper, darker.
Speaker 2: Waters that you know, like I don't know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like they just turn him into this saintly happy, go lucky kind of guy. Or I'm not happy, go lucky, but you know what I'm saying, like, right, well, they make him completely uninteresting and it's just everyone is always telling him how special he is.
Speaker 2: That's right. So I was thinking about how like, you know, you know, if you will you know, the the Dewey cox uh throwing a tearing the sinks out of the wall, right, yeah, like yeah, there's no see him lose it. There's no equivalent of that, right, And and you know, the equivalent of the rehab scenes in like all of these movies is when he's recovering from you know, the Pepsi commercial accident, right, And and again it's one of those things where it's like, yeah, but he's in so much pain, but here he is going and talking to other burn victims.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: I don't doubt that he did all that totally. I'm not saying he didn't. I'm saying, like, why are you using all of these things as an opportunity to burnish the legend instead of take us inside him? Right, Like, even because that all happens because he's like, I'm gonna do the tour for my family, even though Joseph piece of shit and whatever. Right, and by the way, his brothers weren't very nice to him either in real life, but you wouldn't know that from the movie, no, because they produced it exactly right. Yeah, and then here's the thing what essentially becomes the cathartic moment is where it's the end of the Jackson's Tour, the Victory tour, and he's like, by the way, this is our farewell. I think it's a great moment. Me too, but I would have liked it to mean more. But you know, we don't get into the anguish of why he's on this tour, And yeah, you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: And like you would imagine some shot where maybe he's even we know he wants to say it, and he's looking over at his brothers on the stage next to him, and like, in a way they kind of need him, right, and so there's a little bit of a hugh, but I gotta do this for me, you know, And maybe some conversation he had with someone in another scene that doesn't exist in this movie, like what's going on in his head? And yeah, that moment could have meant ten times more, but it's the Wikipedia version, you know. You know what those scenes. I've been bringing this up a lot when people ask me about the movie. I'm like, that scene actually encapsulates a lot for me in another way, which is you see him perform like a full song with the Jackson five on stage, and you know, it's like five six, maybe seven minutes of music and performance, which is great and I enjoyed it. Then he basically quits the Jackson five and says he's going to go out in his own and then we immediately go to him on tour. We don't really see a lot of the fallout. We just immediately see him on the bad tour next and I thought was, Oh, bummer, it's gonna end here.
Speaker 2: We just had all that music. I would really like to see him sing bad. But then he does. He goes on and sings bad for like five minutes. So I was like, that's what the movie is.
Speaker 3: It's music with like little interstitials in between of story.
Speaker 2: And and I will say, he Jeffari Jackson. Who is Michael's nephew. I don't care. I can't remember if we mentioned that, right, right, He's He's whose son is he? I don't remember, one of the brothers, and yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, but he, I mean, he became Michael in terms of the moves. I think I think it's it's worth recognizing that that that's not easy to do. There's plenty of Michael Jackson impersonators, but you know the way he because I've seen, you know, the Billy Jean Award Show performance. I mean, I I know that very very well. And I mean it's like he just embodied it, you know, And you know that's where he's Germane's son by the way, just okash for the sake of clarity, people like shouting it at their at their.
Speaker 3: Theirmain himself and Germaine it's like, come on, man, yeah, come on guys.
Speaker 2: So look it's a toe tapper. I think if that's what you expect going and you're gonna get it, And clearly that's something audience is like, and I want to look. I think there is it's good to have a movie like, it's good to have movie people show up, they're bopping their head, you know what. Good? Yeah, I I I don't think it's It didn't do much more for me than that. But I would also say, I g I guess it didn't really need to. You know, I'm kind of with you.
Speaker 3: I mean, like I said, Tailor two, Brian's like, I really enjoyed watching this, and I would watch it again because I know I would have a good time listening to some great music. But I am very disappointed that we didn't get a better look at this real complicated, interesting guy. And I would say that about any figure, but he is so complicated and controversial that I wonder if it almost borders on irresponsibility. Yeah, so I have very complicated feelings about it, and I talk about it probably differently with different people, you know, knowing.
Speaker 2: What they are looking for out of this.
Speaker 3: And I would completely respect. Also, I mentioned it to two friends I was with last night, and they're still just because they have complicated feelings about Jackson in the first place, they're still weighing whether or.
Speaker 2: Not they want to see it. Oh interesting, okay, yeah, but they love his music. They're like, I kind of want to watch it.
Speaker 3: But I just after watching Leaving Neverland, I just have I wrestle with it, and I was like, I get it. I get it, so like it's I think it's all up.
Speaker 2: To you, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but you know, I did have an interesting experience watching this. I watched it at the Sherman Oas Galleria, and when they show the Michael Jackson mansion the Chiron, it doesn't just say in Sino California. It says haven Hurst in Sino California. And I was like, wait, Havenhurst is the next major road over.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. Yeah. So I put it into ways and it was a mile and a half away. Amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I actually after the movie, I drove over and I went to the gate and I saw the house.
Speaker 2: I was like, well, I'll be darn. I had no idea. It's just empty, I guess. I mean, there's like hedges and right, but you know it's just like like you know, time moves on, you know, oh sure, yeah.
Speaker 3: At one point there was drafts and bubbles of the chimp walking around behind.
Speaker 2: That game and just throngs of people, yes, yeah, which they show in the movie, right, yeah, all the people. One thing I will say real quick, Brian is is for for as as comically super villain esque Coleman, Domingo's performance was, as I said, I found him very watchable. But the you know, it definitely made me think, certainly as a parent, you know, what what do I owe my kids and what do they owe me? You know, it really made me sit with that, you know, yeah, because I'll be goddamn if I would ever do that to my kids, you know yeah. And I kept like, what is the psychology that would make someone do that to their kids? And he, you know, he's sitting there, He's like, look, if it wasn't for me, we'd still be a poor black family in Gary, Indiana. You know. But you know, without getting into the economic aspect of it, I think your kids would like to play outside, you know, like I think kids would like to be kids, you know, yeah, yeah, and it's like, is it worth it. You know, Joe Jackson outlived Michael by almost ten years. Did he wrestle with that. Did he wrestle with the idea that his son died at least partly because of him?
Speaker 3: I don't know, you know, And just a lot of the things that I felt about this movie, I wanted to be able to back it up and like make sure that I was remembering things that were actual facts. And I found this quote from Joe Jackson when he was interviewed by Louis Thureaux and asked about if he beat him. Okay, and this is a quote from Joe Jackson. He said, I never beat him. I whipped him with a switch and a belt. I never beat him. You beat someone with a stick. So that's there we go. There's a glimpse into the mind of Joe Jackson. Wow, So in those ten years post Michael's death, did he think any differently?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't know. It doesn't look like you know, it's it's like, wouldn't you rather have just had a healthy relationship with your kids? I don't know that's the best what.
Speaker 3: You hope you hope for parents, But you know, I want to say, because I was saying about scenes and just how thin they were, and but I did want to call out.
Speaker 2: I thought the first half of.
Speaker 3: The movie was actually very strong with all the Jackson five stuff I and I thought my favorite scene maybe in the movie was when young Michael is with that producer Yes, at the board and and he's just like, Michael doesn't get to do anything fun. All he has, you know, he he's got to practice day and night. When he comes home from gigs and he's tired, he's got to practice some more. And he has this moment with yeah Gordy, and Gordy's like, hey, you want to see how this works. Look, you know, you move these switches and the volume goes up, and you do, and and Michael's like completely into it. But then Joe comes in a is like, you know, get out here, stop bothering this guy, right, And I love then when Gordy is like, hey, anytime you have a question or you're interested in this, you can always ask me, right, And then when Michael like takes a step away and then goes back and hugs him.
Speaker 2: Yep, Oh my heart was great.
Speaker 3: Yeah that was good. I actually was like, oh, we're in for something good. Here, And I just wish that when they got into his adult life, those scenes had at least even if they are interstitial, like like we're just gonna touch on this beat when he's in a toy story, because explains this little part of him. This beat when he's in a hospital talking to burn victims, because that explains a little part of him. I wish they had at least been as textured as that scene was in the beginning.
Speaker 2: That's terrific. Yeah. Well, and what that scene really illustrates is how you know, Barry Gordy was interfacing with him on a talent level, like you know, yes, it was it. You know, he was talking to him as an artist, right, So it's showing like there's another way Joe could have gone that would have been just as meaningful. And you know, it's like pad's not taken, you know. Yeah, yeah, oh, there we go. Hey, we had lots of thoughts, lots of complicated thoughts about a complicated dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, this is great. I was really looking forward to talking about this with you. I think it is a movie that provokes a lot of discussion, for sure.
Speaker 2: Well, let us know your thoughts. I'm sure, I'm sure y'all listening. You have some about the film and about what we have to say, so you can email us at moviefilmpodcast at gmail dot com. You can also like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcast lead reviewer leave a star rating. Every little bit helps. If you're listening to the show on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and comment. We do read the comments that we get on the show, and of course Brian as mentioned way up top, we also have a Patreon page. Yes, if you head over to patreon dot com slash moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you'll find every commentary we've ever done, every episode moving forward, absolutely ad free.
Speaker 3: You also find bonus conversations that we drop about twice a month over there, and recently we talked about everything from Disney inventing their own version of IMAX for theaters, which was kind of interesting. We went over CinemaCon, we talked about the gig that I'd been working on and that's been keeping me busy the past month and a half. All that stuff's dropping over there, and it's a really fun time. Our free feed wi always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show. So no ads or interruptions, butting into the conversation. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 2: We'd be very grateful. And if you're looking for me on social media, you can find me at Zakie's Corner, that c Akis Corner. You can also find my reviews and writing at the San Francisco Chronicle and also at IGN and The Rap What About You Brian, You can.
Speaker 3: Find episodes I've written of Puppy Dog Pals and Young Jedi Adventures streaming on Disney Plus.
Speaker 2: There we go, And with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachie has On. This has been episode three forty two of The Movie Film Show. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody, Welcome.
Speaker 1: Bird Tacking came right over the tops bathroom, Amos Mom and the blackests on the bread windows