Speaker 1: Time forty Channel nine, first forty one of forecast. They're saying around noontime we get some storms showing up, possible thunderstorms and maybe some hail. They say it's going to be scattered. I don't know, I just read it Thotty. Otherwise, high have seventy forty five overnight with just a few clowns, leaving us a sunny day on Friday with the highest sixty seven, sparse clouds overnight dropp into forty four, and a dry weekend with the highest seventy one on Saturday and partly blody skies fifty nine now typer traffics from.
Speaker 2: The U Scout Traffic Center. When it comes to stroke, every second counts. That's why you See Health is the clear choice for a wrap up wife saving treatment. Learn more at you sehealth dot com. Northbound seventy five and an extra five out of Arrow Linger into downtown southbound seventy five. You'll need a couple of extra minutes in and out of Blackland. Still no accidents on the highways through where we're at About southbound two seventy five. Continued slow between the Lawrence Burg ramp and the bridge Kingbram fifty five KRC the talk station.
Speaker 1: It's seven point thirty here pe five KRC Talk station, pushing Ember one, a very happy Thursday, and welcoming to the fifty five KRC Morning Show. A man who's interested in what's going with Hyde Park Square. Hyde Park Square organizer Todds ins or Todd's or John. Rather, John, it's good have you on the program this morning. Thanks for joining the show, glad to join it. To thank you, Brian, And I think my listening audience is quite familiar with it, because I've talked about it a lot. I found it rather insulting that Sincinni City Council refused to give into what the residents of Hyde Park One in terms of zoning. First, they foisted connected communities on all of the Cincinnati neighborhoods without input from the neighborhoods. And then they offered an opportunity for a waiver two connected communities requirements to these well connected developers to put in a hotel, which obviously is going to dominate the landscape of Hyde Park Square because of its height, as well as the fact that maybe it's a hotel that people don't want because of congestion and traffic and everything else that goes along with that development. Now do you get the sense I saw all the signs and I knew it was well organized campaign in favor of Hyde Park residents determining their own destiny. Do you get the sense in the community that everyone's a little bit angry about what the council did.
Speaker 3: I think anger might be a little bit strong of a turn. There are definitely a lot of upset people, And I want to be clear, this isn't a Hyde Park issue. This is a city wide issue. You mentioned connected communities fifty two neighborhoods across the city. Of those fourteen other communities took votes to support Hyde Park and asked council not to do this. For other civic organizations also joined in with us and said don't do this. This isn't what should be happening. The numbers that the Sea Council saw were off the charts like nothing else previously. This starts all the way back in January with the Planning Commission staff event, which was a zoom call. They had sixty some speak sixty three sixty four speakers. Four of them are for the others were a posed. They had over seven hundred pieces of email for that event back in January. Then we you know, fast forward, go through all the steps, the Planning Commission meeting, then you have the committee, the Equitable Growth and Housing Committee, then you have finally the council vote. At every one of those steps, they saw overwhelming public turnout, email, phone calling, et cetera, and effectively a deaf ear And to me, that's what's important right now, Safe hyde Park Square is launched a referendum. We are working to get the petitions that we need in order to put this on the ballot in November. We need about fifteen thousand signatures in a little under a month, so we are working hard at that, and we are doing it citywide because this isn't an issue just for Hyde Park. City Council isn't listening to you regardless of where you are. And I think most important, I think this ties in very much with what I understand. You focus on a lote that city council has literally said we're uninterested in neighborhood councils, communitys in particular.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's maybe why I characterize it as anger, because candidly I feel anger on behalf of each of those neighborhoods because I find it insulting you. This turns the concept of representative government on its head.
Speaker 3: I completely agree with you on that, and I think certainly there are people and there are neighborhoods where the hanger, I would say is higher and lower. I think everybody in the Hyde Park case frustrated and perturbed about the lack of listening. I know there's some other neighborhoods who have had huge issues and fuel. If you want to say anger, I just want to be careful by the word like that.
Speaker 1: I get it. I mean again, I don't want to put words in your mouth or anybody else's mouth. That's my personal feeling because again, the concept of representative government, we elect people to speak and provide and exercise the will of the people as opposed to what they have on their mind or whatever direction they want to go. This is like, we have example.
Speaker 3: After example of this council, this administration saying we know better than you do and we're going to do what we think is right. You've been touching on connected communities. I'm no expert on that, but I have some familiarity with it. The council, the mayor, has consistently said we know what the city needs more than you. The people know what the city needs. That's a challenge. I want smart people lending ideas, bringing thought forward. But I know there is a famous Japanese proverb, none of us are as smart as all of us. And if we do not involve the neighborhood councils, if we do not involve citizen voice, we are not going to do the best things that we can do.
Speaker 1: John Zinzer, let's pause, we'll bring you back. We'll talk about the website, we'll talk about how people can get involved. And once you to contemplate this. You know this city, you know writ large, it's made up of all those different neighborhoods, of fifty two neighborhoods, each of which is its own sort of environment within the broader scope of the city, all with different needs once and different architectural structures. We're going to talk about that concept as well as what's the next phase in this with John Zinzer again, Save Hyde Park Square dot org seven thirty five. Right now, if you've karousy toox stations, stick around, John, to be right back. After I mentioned Zimmer heating and air conditioning, they're outstanding of what they do, been around for a long time, third generation Chris Simmer at the helm right now, and they'll take great care of you for all your HVAC needs. And sorry, it sucks to be anybody whose system goes out, and I understand that, been down that road in the past. But you can get a cool carrier comfort system if yours is belly up and save up the fifteen hundred and fifty dollars working with the folks at Zimmer Heating and air That's they're great at what they do and they represent the company of the de vended air Conditioning that's carriers, So an ideal opportunity to get a great system to replace the one that went belly up and save some significant money of fifteen hundred and fifty dollars. To learn more, check them out online because they offer all kinds of HVAC services and they're excellent customer service. It's go Zimmer dot com upper right hand corner. Click on the little link there. You can schedule your appointment while you're there go Zimmer dot com or do it the way I prefer. Call them up to schedule the appointment five one three, five two one ninety eight ninety three five one three five two one ninety eight ninety three fifty five KRC the Ford Oval of Honors. Channel nine first warning weather forecast I was saying scattered showers and storms may return. It should happen around noontime. They mentioned hail being a possibility, as well as some areas maybe getting an inch of rain. Cloudy otherwise, I have seventy forty five overnight with some clouds decreasing, sunny skies tomorrow with high sixty seven, but a few clouds every night down to forty four, and the weekend's going to be dry Saturday, partly cloudy end seventy one fifty nine. Right now, traffic time.
Speaker 2: From the you see up Tramfic center when it comes to stroke to every second comps. That's why you see Health is the clear choice for wrapping by saving treatment. Learn more. You see health dot com really beginning to slow down now south bend seventy one between Field, Turtle and Feifer southbound seventy five break lights just below Tilersville towards Union Center, then through Wachmann and bound seventy fours, an extra five minutes coming down the hill from North Bend. John Ingramont fifty five krs deep talk station.
Speaker 1: To shy seven forty fifty five krcy talk station Brian Thomas talking with John Zinzer, concerned citizen behind at least one of them behind Save Hyde Park Square, which you can find on line at Save Hyde Parksquare dot org. They're circulated. Petition for a referendum has to be filed to nullify City Council's April twenty third decision to approve this plan development zone change for Hyde Park Square in spite of the fact the high Park residents didn't want it. Oh, John, the website is quite revealing. I don't know that I had seen. I'm certain I hadn't seen what it is going to look like after this development is put in.
Speaker 3: It is really something, isn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh my god?
Speaker 3: It's like dropping a container ship into a historical neighborhood right way.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, great way to put it. So, you know, in case you were thinking, oh, what's the big deal, you should see how huge this is. It's just inside and I got Newsray. I mean, that's a piece of paper and that's a drawing. You know, when you stand in front of a building, of any mass of any size. You go, my gosh, that's a building. It's huge.
Speaker 3: It's big, it's not a piece of paper. If they build that thing, the feeling in the square will be lost forever. And it just that's what the citizens on one level are most concerned about. This is a neighborhood. Cincinnati has made up of fifty two neighborhoods. You were saying this before you headed out to the break. Every neighborhood has its characteristics and its special and that deserves That's one of the things that makes Cincinnati if I make Cincinnati, and that's why the citizens here are taking action right now. This is not the way we should go about development. Let's say one more thing about Hyde Park and then when I kick it back to the city for a moment. We are not opposed to change, to growth, to advancement. We are opposed to this project. I heard you talk in the earlier segment you returned about connected communities. I know you have an issue around being told what to do. Again, I'm no expert on connected communities. This neighborhood, and no neighborhood wants to have something dropped on it that it doesn't have a say, and what's it going to look like, what's it going to do to the traffic, What's it going to do to our day to day rhythm. That's something every neighborhood deserves to have a voice and a comment on, rather than having a developer alongside some city council people who are worked together over and over again, the ease with which development can happen in Cincinnati. There's a miss out there that we're a hard place to build something. We're actually of the forty seven communities that were rated, we were the forty fourth, meaning we were the third easiest place to build something. What needs to change now? We need to get this on the referendum. We need volunteers. I would love people listening to us right now. Went to park safehyd parksquare dot org and signed up to become someone who would move a petition around, get some signatures different events. Really need to talk with people in the different parts of the city. As I said earlier, we have multiple neighborhood councilors who are supporting us, other civic organizations who are supporting us. But we just need a lot of people to help us put this to a referendum. Get a vote in November, and I believe that vote could begin the process of reversing the tide. There's been this long, steady tide of city council not thinking that the neighborhood council's community councils got example after example of how they are trying to depower or actually do away with that. And this is a place where the people have the chance to stand up and say, now we get to say in this what we say also matters. You may be smart, but you're not the only smart person. We know some things too about where we live and how we'd like to live. And we're going to put this on the ballot to get that started.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I suppose you'll get a lot of people in Bondhill wanting to sign on to something like this as well, because.
Speaker 3: I did the actual presentation to the Bondhill group to say will you join us? And I was overwhelmed with how they feel what happened to them. Perfect example, even Oakley, who's a relatively friendly to the developer community, just had a really nice housing project scrapped for car condos. I'm not opposed to having nice places to stay, but if city Council is all about housing. How dare you make an adjustment from something that was going to be reasonably priced housing to something to park my Ferrari.
Speaker 1: In that's a good point, and it seems like that's kind of I'm a misunderstanding. It seems inconsistent with their desire to get rid of cars in the city of Cincinnati, you know, turning it into a fifteen minute walking or public transportation community, which is the green agenda folks idea about it.
Speaker 3: So, and I want to be careful that one of the advantages of Hyde Park is its walk ability. Yeah, and that's something we'd like to preserve. That's a feel that we want. Other communities may want to be different in how that feels, but they need to have their voice in order to achieve that. And that's why we're asking people to help us to move the petition around. Please go to Save Hyde Park square dot org, sign up to volunteer, find us. We're got lots of events. Then we had the primary on Tuesday. We were at lots of the polling places, a lot of people signed up. Thank you for everybody who has signed. If you did sign the change dot org petition, that's not the same thing over five thousand people signed that for us. It was a very helpful tool. It was another thing that city council just chose to ignore. But we need different signatures to get this on the refer to get this on the.
Speaker 1: Ballot, Save Hyde parksquare dot org. And this is something that's going to resonate with all the communities, I think more than just the ones that have been insulted by the decision making of Cincinni City Council, like you and Bonn Hill, but everybody who felt me. I mean I talked about going back to connected communities real quick. That was foisted on all of the neighborhoods as well without any of their input, in spite of the fact that a lot of them chimed in and said, wait, wait, where did this come from? And we don't want that, and you didn't consult us before you foisted it upon us. So this is going to resonate among I would think the vast majority of Cincinnati residents. So if you are a resident of the city of Cincinnati, that's the signature that you need to put down on paper and go to save High ParkScore dot com to do that, or dot Orger to do.
Speaker 3: That hopefully agree, thank you. I can go the connected community to piece absolutely, but you don't have to go anywhere near that far back to find a place where neighborhoods are not being heard, not even being responded to by the city. On ours just own, fourteen different neighborhoods sent an official letter to the city saying we took a vote and we agree, we're standing with hyde per square. Not one of them received a letter back saying thank you for your letter, nothing more, not even acknowledgment. And I can go down a list of different neighborhoods, different instances where they are writing to the city and thing we need help with this. This has happened to us, things ranging from the recent flooding, some police issues, some staffing issues, things that happened to an adverse outcome because of development product at all of these things, where the neighborhood councils have written to the city, crickets coming back nothing. And that's what has to change, and that's why we need all the help we can get with this referendum.
Speaker 1: It sounds like we need a change of council members and perhaps the mayor. My idea, John, you don't have to buy into that or not. I don't care what your political affiliation is, but no one seems to be being served by the elected officials who are supposed to serve the will of the people. And I love the idea. This is a grassroots, community based effort. I was thinking along the lines that maybe you guys might propose litigation, but that has to be fund unless there's a lawyer out there will be doing on a pro bono basis. But you know, you get everybody an opportunity to help out. Chime in, put a lawn sign in their yard. And another element of this I wasn't even aware of, which is posted on your website Save Hyde Park Square dot org, is that it forces out over ten independent small businesses out of the square.
Speaker 3: I mean the Business Association of Hedberg Square voted against it. They wrote a letter say we don't want to. If they thought it was good for business, they would be at the front of the brace saying let's do this. They don't. And I can tell you you can walk around Hyde Park Square right now and it feels a little depressed because there are all these empty storefronts. That's primarily not due to business conditions. Or anything. That's due to the developer carefully phasing people out, primarily in legal means. Primarily there is at least one lawsuit running about that that I know of. But that is why Hyde Park Square right now feels a little dingy, a little empty, and that's really unfortunate. You can thank the developer for those empty storefronts because they're now having to wait. They're now having to wonder can we move ahead with this. That's one of the reasons that we need to keep the momentum up and get to the referendum. You mentioned a lawsuit. That's always an option, but we do want to be the grassroots group who does this the right way. And city Council I think about one of the few things they said that was positive was there has to be more communication between the development and developer and the community, and that just didn't happen. It was as quiet from the developer as it has been from city council. They listened to us a lot. I don't think they heard us, and I know that's a subtle distinction, but it's an important one. Right now, we as a citizens group would like to be heard as we were not heard. We're going to put it on the ballot. We're going to put in a referendum, but only with help from people who listen to your show and others who see citizen voice matters. I want to be heard. I want my neighborhood council to be heard, and the neighborhoods that's signed on for this stretch all the way east to west. You've got Mount Washington out east all the way to Sailor Park in the west. I would love to have other of the neighborhood councils also to join on with us. More letters from that because this right now has become for me. Yes, I do not want that development. I also want city council to have to listen, to pay attention to community councils, to neighborhood councils, and again we have example after example of them saying we're not going to listen anymore.
Speaker 1: I love the message, John. It transcends just this issue for me personally, and I appreciate what you're doing. You can sign up to be a circulator or a captain. You can help out circulate a position, show up at farmers' markets and citywide events, and have these petitions ready for folks to sign It's easy to do, John, and the team has made it so easy. Save Hyde Park Square dot org. I wish you all the luck and the best in the world. John, on your efforts fifteen thousand nine.
Speaker 3: I really appreciate this time.
Speaker 1: Pleasure man. If you got an update or something down the road, you want to announce the day that you get the sufficient signatures. You got to welcome opportunity here in the fifty five Cars Morning Show. Good job John, keep it up seven to fifty one, fifty five care se the talk station. Love that effort.
Speaker 3: Love it.
Speaker 1: Affordable imaging. Imaging can be affordable if you go to affordable imaging services rather than the hospital imaging department. Because it's crazy expensive there, crazy expensive. I don't know why, well I do know why. It's a profit center. They got tons of overheaded hospital. They got to pay for it some way, so that's why they charge you five thousand dollars for a CT scan when you can go to affordable imaging services like I'm going to do again in June keeping an eye on my cancer. Got to get CT scans with a contrast six hundred bucks four hundred and fifty bucks. If you don't need a contrast. That's for a CT scan that might set you back five grand at a hospital echo cardiogram. They'll get your right in at affordable imaging services, unlike the hospital, which may have a wait time. It's your heart, I know you want to know, so without an enhancement five hundred bucks. With an enhancement eight hundred, not the three grand four grand they might charge you at the hospital. Every image, whether it's enough, ultrasound, CT scan, MRI, echo cardiogram, comes with the board certified radiologists report in the price. You may pay extra for that at the home hospital. I've been there multiple times. It's low overhead, but they have the same kind of equipment hospitals they are using in medical professionals that have been at this for decades. Never a problem with my cancer doctor about my CT scan five on three seven five three eight thousand, five one three seven five three eight thousand online Affordable Meddeimaging dot com fifty five KRC. What if you had an extra thousand dollars